HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,635
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 7
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,389 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 23 24
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #102052
08/28/08 05:27 PM
08/28/08 05:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, you're both changing the subject and not addressing the question. Of course the Sabbath is a blessing, but that was not the subject. I asked you:

Quote:
Before light comes, there is no sin, so how could it be fatal? For example, not keeping the Sabbath is contrary to the 4th commandment, but if one knows nothing about it, how is it fatal?

I would have liked to have gone further back and found where you quoted this, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, you have previously argued that what you call "mental" sins are in a different category that, I'm not sure what term you would use, "instinctive" sins, and it looks like you are contradicting yourself when you say that not keeping the Sabbath, a "mental" sin (to use your expression) is "fatal."

How is it fatal? Please keep in mind the context! The question isn't "Is keeping the Sabbath a blessing" but "How is not keeping a 'mental' sin (i.e. sin of ignorance) 'fatal'"?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102093
08/29/08 03:18 PM
08/29/08 03:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
How is it fatal? Please keep in mind the context! The question isn't "Is keeping the Sabbath a blessing" but "How is not keeping a 'mental' sin (i.e. sin of ignorance) 'fatal'"?

Again, not keeping the Sabbath is tragic in the sense they are missing out on a huge blessing. People who lack certain medication miss out on the blessing of restored health. Ignorance does not prevent people from missing out on. Missing out is tragic.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #102094
08/29/08 03:19 PM
08/29/08 03:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Why didn't God hold Jesus accountable for Lucifer's sins of ignorance?

Because he sinned in light of knowing God fully. There was nothing more God could to do to recommend His love in a way that would impress Lucifer to repent. The instant he sinned he was beyond hope. The same thing is true of people who willfully sin after knowing God as well as t hey can in this lifetime.

Hebrews
10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

How is this an example of what you are commenting on?

Because Jesus imputes, at the moment of death, what he would have done (i.e. repent), rather than waiting to impute it sometime later.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #102108
08/29/08 05:08 PM
08/29/08 05:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The instant he sinned he was beyond hope.

This can't be:

Quote:
Before he was sentenced to banishment from Heaven, his course was with convincing clearness shown to be wrong, and he was granted an opportunity to confess his sin, and submit to God's authority as just and righteous.(4SP 319)

He was given an opportunity to confess his sin, so he was obviously not "beyond hope."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: asygo] #102136
08/30/08 06:25 AM
08/30/08 06:25 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: asygo
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Character is repetitious thoughts, words, and behavior. A predictable momentum is established. God can infer future acts.

What about your cursing driver? Did God infer that, or was He caught by surprise? Was that in the "predictable momentum"?

BTW, your scenario never happens.

Found the quotes:
 Quote:
A silent witness guards every soul that lives, seeking to win and draw him to Christ. The angels never leave the tempted one a prey to the enemy who would destroy the souls of men if permitted to do so. As long as there is hope, until they resist the Holy Spirit to their eternal ruin, men are guarded by heavenly intelligences. {OHC 23.2}

If they yield to the enemy, and make no effort to resist him, then the angels of God can do but little more than hold in check the host of Satan, that they shall not destroy, until further light be given to those in peril, to move them to arouse and look to heaven for help. {1T 345.2}

When you were in great physical suffering and there was no hope for you in human skill, the Lord pitied you and mercifully removed disease from you. Satan has sought to afflict and ruin you, and even to take your life; but your Saviour has shielded you again and again, lest you should be cut down when your heart was filled with a satanic frenzy, your tongue uttering words of bitterness and unbelief against the Bible and against the truth you once advocated. {5T 338.1}

If someone sins and "would repent if he had the chance" God can and will keep him alive to do it. The IJ is based on our works, not inferences.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: asygo] #102164
08/30/08 11:36 PM
08/30/08 11:36 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Thank you, Arnold, for those quotes. They remind me of a discussion Tom, MM and I had last year, entitled "Does God Choose The Best Moment for Every Person to Die?"

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Rosangela] #102174
08/31/08 04:09 AM
08/31/08 04:09 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
If someone sins and "would repent if he had the chance" God can and will keep him alive to do it.

Why does God have to keep him alive to repent? Are you saying if a person commits a sin, any sin, and doesn't repent of it he is lost? The statements from the SOP are speaking of very serious sins, such as resisting the Holy Spirit to eternal ruin. The context of MM's comment was a person cursing. If a person cursed and died, would he be lost if he didn't have a chance to repent?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102180
08/31/08 07:15 AM
08/31/08 07:15 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
If someone sins and "would repent if he had the chance" God can and will keep him alive to do it.

Why does God have to keep him alive to repent? Are you saying if a person commits a sin, any sin, and doesn't repent of it he is lost? The statements from the SOP are speaking of very serious sins, such as resisting the Holy Spirit to eternal ruin. The context of MM's comment was a person cursing. If a person cursed and died, would he be lost if he didn't have a chance to repent?

The tree determines the fruit borne. And the fruit borne is unmistakable evidence of what the tree is. Hence, Jesus could say, "By their fruits you will know them." Also, out of the abundance of heart, the mouth speaks.

I have some experience with cursing, so maybe I can comment on that. Growing up, my father continually cursed. That's how he was. Of course, I absorbed all this over the years.

When I got "old enough" I started cursing also. It was what "grown-ups" did, and enhanced my "maturity" in the eyes of my immature peers. As I grew accustomed to this way of speaking, it got to the point where I was cursing about every other sentence.

Anyway, years later, I had my Damascus experience. All of those things I learned in church finally found application in my life. You know what I did with my cursing? Nothing. I did nothing to address it.

It wasn't until a few years later when I realized that I was not cursing anymore, not even in my mind. Conversion is not a matter of outward behavior, but it is definitely manifested in outward behavior. More importantly, thoughts and feelings - character - are changed such that one is a new creature. The change was so dramatic that when my best friend came home from Andrews, after less than a day of hanging out, he said, "What have you guys done to my friend? Where is he, and who is this?"

Is cursing that terrible that it would condemn eternally? Let's keep in mind that we got into this mess by someone eating a fruit. But the paramount question is this: What led to this act? If the Holy Spirit was the one leading the person to curse, then I think everything should be fine. But if the flesh is leading, there is a huge problem, even if what the person was doing was being lauded and commended by others around him (e.g. donating money, doing church work, etc.).

Why is repentance so important? I view it through the IJ. What is it for? Doesn't God already know who is good and who is bad? And why is it based on works? The answer is because, in a very real sense, God is on trial in the IJ, and the rest of the universe is the jury.

God said, "Yes, they are messed up, but if they choose Me as their Lord and Savior, you will see that they are safe neighbors." The IJ shows what God can do through man, and what man can be through an intimate connection with God. This will prove that God is trustworthy and knows what He's talking about.

How would it work if God said, "Well, yes he cursed, and he doesn't look like a nice neighbor right now, but trust Me, if you give him time, he'll be OK. Just trust Me on this one." That's not going to fly. How can God testify to His own credibility when it is His credibility that is in question? It's no good.

What works is that those who profess to be God's followers manifest in their own lives the character of Jesus. Everyone wants to be neighbors with Him. And when the jury sees that God is able to turn sinners into saints, keeping in mind that only God can see the heart, then they will see that God's claims are true.

So, what's God to do? The easiest thing to do is to keep the guy alive long enough to repent. Then there is no question as to what he "would have done had he lived long enough." If God can keep people alive in a fiery furnace, He can do this too. Then, rather than conjectures as to what would have happened, all that is needed is to peek in the record books to see what actually happened. The evidence is history, not His story.

By their fruits you will know them.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: asygo] #102190
08/31/08 04:33 PM
08/31/08 04:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, I appreciate the long response, obviously well thought out, but I still don't know the answers to my questions. It sounds like you might be saying that a person who cursed would be lost if he didn't have time to repent. Is that correct?

Since you wrote at such length, it seems only fair that I should say something too, rather than just ask questions.

I agree with you that the tree is known by the fruit. Let's say a person curses, and everytime they curse they repent. So we can conclude that the person inadvertantly curses, and when he does, he repents.

Here's how I see the process of not cursing taking place:
a.Person curses, thinks nothing of it.
b.Person is converted.
c.Person is convicted that pure speech is important, doesn't want to curse anymore
d.Person curses, some time passes, remembers desire not to curse, repents.
e.Same as d, but the time from curse to repentance shortens
f.Person starts to catch himself in the middle of cursing
g.Person begins to catch himself before cursing
h.Person no longer curses out out, but thinks it. Repents.
i.Time between thinking and repentance decreases.
j.Person eventually no longer curses when thinking.

It's actually more complicated than this, as I have heard of cases where a person didn't curse for years, but then something happens, and it comes out. The human mind is very complicated.

Also pure speech involves a lot more than simply not cursing. There is a positive aspect to it as well as the negative one.

Let's consider the theif on the cross. How far along would he have been in the process of a through j above? I think probably b. I doubt he even was as far along as c. It seems like you are suggesting a person has to be all the way to j, or God will not allow him to die. Am I understanding you correctly?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102199
08/31/08 11:38 PM
08/31/08 11:38 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
It's all much shorter and simpler than all that. Is the person being led by the Spirit? If he is when he dies, he's fine. If he's not when he dies, he's not.

As many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God. Those who are not sons of God only have eternal death as an inheritance.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 5 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 23 24

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!