HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,978 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 27 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 26 27
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #101768
08/20/08 05:38 PM
08/20/08 05:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's another statement to consider:

Quote:
If a tree is cut, if a human being is wounded or breaks a bone, nature begins at once to repair the injury. Even before the need exists, the healing agencies are in readiness; and as soon as a part is wounded, every energy is bent to the work of restoration. So it is in the spiritual realm. Before sin created the need, God had provided the remedy. Every soul that yields to temptation is wounded, bruised, by the adversary; but whenever there is sin, there is the Saviour.(Ed 113)

The Plan of Salvation was ready if needed, just as our bodies are ready to begin healing an injury if needed. The DA statement is expressing a similar sentiment as the Education statement.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #101798
08/22/08 08:40 PM
08/22/08 08:40 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
To require EGW to say "the certainty of its existence" is to make her talk like she worked for the Department of Redundancy Department, and worse, it changes the object of her sentence.

She could have said that God foresaw that sin would certainly occur, that would have been normal English, but she never taught this.

She could have said that, and that would have been perfectly normal. But what she said was stronger. She said God saw sin's existence. She didn't even say that God saw that it will exist. He already saw its existence.

To say that she never taught it is to discount this data point. Your theory sounds nice, but fails to explain all phenomena.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #101799
08/22/08 08:47 PM
08/22/08 08:47 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
How could God possibly have had a "struggle" if He knew from all eternity precisely what He was going to do? He was going to:

a.Have three meetings with His Son
b.On the third meeting be "convinced" after a "struggle" to go along with His Son's wishes.
c.He would have an angel explain to a prophetess that this was a "struggle."

You left out d.

d. The Godhead would be sundered as it has never been and never will be.

Knowing what will happen actually makes the struggle that much harder.

Of course, for sinners like us, being separated from God is no big deal. We do it all the time. But for the Father to separate from the Son was not an easy thing to do, I think.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #101801
08/22/08 08:56 PM
08/22/08 08:56 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Here's another statement to consider:

Quote:
If a tree is cut, if a human being is wounded or breaks a bone, nature begins at once to repair the injury. Even before the need exists, the healing agencies are in readiness; and as soon as a part is wounded, every energy is bent to the work of restoration. So it is in the spiritual realm. Before sin created the need, God had provided the remedy. Every soul that yields to temptation is wounded, bruised, by the adversary; but whenever there is sin, there is the Saviour.(Ed 113)

The Plan of Salvation was ready if needed, just as our bodies are ready to begin healing an injury if needed. The DA statement is expressing a similar sentiment as the Education statement.

No, it is not.

The Ed statement says that God made a remedy ready. The DA statement says that God saw that a remedy was needed. They are talking about two different aspects.

In Gen 3:15, God said, "it shall bruise thy head." Did He mean that Jesus was certainly going to defeat Satan, or that Jesus might possibly defeat Satan? Does God know the end from the beginning, or does He only have a list of possible scenarios but no knowledge of which one will play out? IOW, does God ever say, "Whoa, I didn't think THAT was going to happen"?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #101805
08/23/08 12:05 AM
08/23/08 12:05 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
She could have said that, and that would have been perfectly normal. But what she said was stronger. She said God saw sin's existence. She didn't even say that God saw that it will exist. He already saw its existence.

To say that she never taught it is to discount this data point. Your theory sounds nice, but fails to explain all phenomena.

No, it's not discounting the "data point." It's taking a statement which can be interpreted in different ways, and doing what she suggested, which is to compare what she said here with other things that she wrote on the same subject.

Quote:
How could God possibly have had a "struggle" if He knew from all eternity precisely what He was going to do? He was going to:

a.Have three meetings with His Son
b.On the third meeting be "convinced" after a "struggle" to go along with His Son's wishes.
c.He would have an angel explain to a prophetess that this was a "struggle."

You left out d.

d. The Godhead would be sundered as it has never been and never will be.

Knowing what will happen actually makes the struggle that much harder.

Of course, for sinners like us, being separated from God is no big deal. We do it all the time. But for the Father to separate from the Son was not an easy thing to do, I think.

Arnold, you're not getting the point here. If the future and foreknowledge is as you are suggesting, there could not have been a struggle at all. A struggle implies the possibility of different alternatives, but your viewpoint does not allow for this. It only allows for one possibility. Indeed "possibility" isn't even the right word. It only allows for certainty, that which God knows will happen. "Struggle" cannot exist in this view of things.

Quote:
In Gen 3:15, God said, "it shall bruise thy head." Did He mean that Jesus was certainly going to defeat Satan, or that Jesus might possibly defeat Satan? Does God know the end from the beginning, or does He only have a list of possible scenarios but no knowledge of which one will play out? IOW, does God ever say, "Whoa, I didn't think THAT was going to happen"?

Your manner of putting things is making fun of the possibility that things might be different than how you see things, but there is ample evidence for this. Here are just a couple of texts, of which many more could be added:

Quote:
And now, inhabitants of Jerusalem
and people of Judah,
judge between me
and my vineyard.
4What more was there to do for my vineyard
that I have not done in it?
When I expected it to yield grapes,
why did it yield wild grapes?

(Isaiah 5)

Quote:
And I thought, After she has done all this she will return to me’; but she did not return, and her false sister Judah saw it. 8She saw that for all the adulteries of that faithless one, Israel, I had sent her away with a decree of divorce; yet her false sister Judah did not fear, but she too went and played the whore. 9Because she took her whoredom so lightly, she polluted the land, committing adultery with stone and tree. 10Yet for all this her false sister Judah did not return to me with her whole heart, but only in pretence, says the Lord. (Jeremiah 3)

Quote:
Because the people have forsaken me, and have profaned this place by making offerings in it to other gods whom neither they nor their ancestors nor the kings of Judah have known, and because they have filled this place with the blood of the innocent, 5and gone on building the high places of Baal to burn their children in the fire as burnt-offerings to Baal, which I did not command or decree, nor did it enter my mind;therefore the days are surely coming, says the Lord, when this place shall no more be called Topheth, or the valley of the son of Hinnom, but the valley of Slaughter.(Jer. 19)

You didn't address my question, that I could see, regarding the EW passage. Let me try to make clearer the problem.

In the EW passage, it is presented that Jesus approached the Father 3 times, and that after the third time the Father made a decision. He agreed to do that which Jesus was persuading Him to do. The important point here is that the Father had to be persuaded, and actually was persuaded, and actually made a decision. None of these things are possible according to your view!

It is not possible for the Father to be persuaded to do anything, according to your view, because there is no time in which He was unsure as to what He would do. He always knew, from all eternity, and including the time when Jesus Christ was "persuading" Him what He would do.

So what was Jesus doing? According to your view, it is not possible that Jesus was persuading the Father of anything, nor that God was struggling with any decision. He always knew what He was going to do, and the decision had already been made.

Your view does not coincide with the description of the even in Early Writings.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #101816
08/23/08 04:45 AM
08/23/08 04:45 AM
I Am His  Offline
United States
Excuse me for jumping in here after not reading where this discussion has gone. But I do believe that we are saved by the keeping of the Law. If Jesus had not kept the law ... I would not be saved. He kept it for me so that I am not condemned by it. Only those who don't accept Him are condemned by it.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: I Am His] #101835
08/24/08 01:32 AM
08/24/08 01:32 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
, I Am His, to the Maritime forum. \:\)

Good point you made in your post here.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #101950
08/26/08 04:06 PM
08/26/08 04:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: God foresaw the fall of angels.

TE: He foresaw the possibility of it. It wasn't a certainty that it would happen (else God would be responsible for bringing about a circumstance in which sin was certain to happen, which isn't possible, since there is no explanation for sin. Certainly if God created beings certain to sin, that would be an explanation!)

If God only foresaw the possibility of sin and rebellion happening, how is that any better than Jean Dixon seeing the possibility of something happening? What you're saying doesn't improve God's position. If you create a nuclear bomb, knowing there is a possibility someone will use it to kill thousands of innocent people, how are you less culpable than the guy who detonates it?

Even if God foresees all of the ways things can turn out, do we really have a choice? Are we free to choose a way God did not foresee? If so, how can God be all knowing?

And, if God truly does know the "end from the beginning" are we free to choose a way He didn't foresee? If so, how God can prophesy how the future will certainly play out? Or, is the outcome described in the Revelation only one possible way it might unfold? Is it possible God got it wrong in the Revelation?

Quote:
MM: God foresaw the fall of angels. Chance had nothing to do with it.

TE: Not chance, but choice. It had to do with choice. There was beings would choose to rebel, and a chance they wouldn't. There was no reason for beings to rebel.

What you are describing involves chance. There was a chance they would choose to rebel. The fact God foresaw it happening eliminates the element of chance. He created them in spite of knowing which ones would sin and rebel; in spite of knowing Jesus would die to redeem those who chose to repent and be saved.

Quote:
MM: In what sense were the angels insecure before Satan's rebellion?

TE: Read the quote cited. It explains in what sense.

No it doesn't. It says nothing about them being created insecure. Please quote a passage which substantiates your position. Thank you.

Quote:
MM: Did angelic insecurities lead Satan to rebel?

TE: It sounds like you're confusing "insecure" with "not being secure."

It sounds like you are saying angels were created insecure, that they were not secure in God or in His law.

Quote:
MM: What was it about God and the law that the "confused" angels were unsure about? Quotes please. Thank you.

TE: I answered this and provided the quote. I just answered this in the post right before yours!

What you wrote doesn't answer my question. What were the angels unsure about *before* Lucifer began to sin and rebel?

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: I Am His] #101951
08/26/08 04:09 PM
08/26/08 04:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: I Am His
Excuse me for jumping in here after not reading where this discussion has gone. But I do believe that we are saved by the keeping of the Law. If Jesus had not kept the law ... I would not be saved. He kept it for me so that I am not condemned by it. Only those who don't accept Him are condemned by it.

Amen!

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #102078
08/29/08 01:52 PM
08/29/08 01:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Bump for Tom.

Page 10 of 27 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 26 27

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!