HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,304 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 27 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 26 27
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #102325
09/04/08 02:52 PM
09/04/08 02:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If you're asking if Jesus Christ could have failed, the answer is yes, as the following makes clear:

Quote:
Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss.

The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth! (DA 49)

However, there appears to be a flaw in the underlying assumption of your question, which I'll clarify. Let's consider an event that is 100% certain to occur, the coming of Christ. It is not the case that the fact that this event is certain to occur implies a lack of options as there are many ways for it to happen. For example:

Quote:
Had the purpose of God been carried out by his people in giving the message of mercy to the world, Christ would have come to the earth, and the saints would,ere this, have received their welcome into the city of God. (GCB 4/4/01)

I think the first time she wrote something similar was in the late 1850's, meaning that Christ could have come in the 1850's. Christ would have come in the 1888 era had the message been received; we have many SOP statements saying this. One statement, in 1903 I think, says that Christ was disappointed He was not able to return.

The fact that Christ will come is certain, but not the details as to how this will happen. Hence there are many options. So even though the probability is 100% that He will come, there is no limitations of options available to FMA's (to use MM's term; Free Moral Agent).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #102327
09/04/08 03:00 PM
09/04/08 03:00 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I'm not talking about Jesus' coming, and neither was Genesis 3. God said, "He will bruise your head." That's not just Jesus coming; that's Jesus defeating Satan. God didn't say it was possible, or that it was probable; He said it was going to happen. Don't you agree?

The only possible other option is that Jesus was going to fail, as this is totally binary. Succeed or fail; there is no other option.

But you point out that the SOP says that there was a possibility of failure. We can agree there.

The problem this causes is for your position that God's knowing a certain outcome eliminates all possibilities but one. But here we see 1) God says Satan will be defeated, and 2) the SOP reveals that failure was a possible outcome. Therefore, if we accept that God is right and the SOP is right, that means that God's foreknowledge of a particular outcome does not mean that there is only one possibility.

Last edited by asygo; 09/04/08 03:22 PM.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #102331
09/04/08 03:31 PM
09/04/08 03:31 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
If you're asking if Jesus Christ could have failed, the answer is yes

In case I was too confusing last time, consider this.

1) We agree that the SOP says Jesus could have failed.
2) We agree that God said Jesus "shall bruise [Satan's] head."

Here's my question to you: Did God know, in Eden, that Jesus would succeed? (And when I say "know" I mean knowing for a certainty, not just knowing possibilities or probabilities.)

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #102333
09/04/08 03:37 PM
09/04/08 03:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I'm not talking about Jesus' coming, and neither was Genesis 3. God said, "He will bruise your head." That's not just Jesus coming; that's Jesus defeating Satan.

You were making an argument using an example. I addressed both the specific example you used, and the argument. The argument is not dependent upon the example.

The specific example has to do with Jesus succeeding in his fight against Satan. The SOP quote makes clear that Christ could have failed.

The argument you were suggesting appeared to be that if an event is 100% certain to occur then the options would be limited in this case. You appeared to be using this as a counter-argument to what I presented. Otherwise, I don't see why you would have asked the questions you did.

Your argument looked to have a flaw in its assumption, which is what I addressed in dealing with Christ's coming. I could have used any event to address this. Since I was dealing with the argument, I was under no constraints in regards to how I would address what I perceived to be a flaw.

Quote:
God didn't say it was possible, or that it was probable; He said it was going to happen. Don't you agree?

The only possible other option is that Jesus was going to fail, as this is totally binary. Succeed or fail; there is no other option.

But you point out that the SOP says that there was a possibility of failure. We can agree there.

Ok, so if there was a possibility of failure, then there was some chance Christ would succeed and some chance He would fail. So the prophecy that something would happen was not implying that the thing prophecy had to happen. You're asking the same question that was asked in Jeremiah's time. Jeremiah had prophesied negatively and the response was akin to, "If the Lord has prophesied against us, then we're doomed! There's nothing we can do." to which Jeremiah responded:

Quote:
Then the word of the Lord came to me: 6Can I not do with you, O house of Israel, just as this potter has done? says the Lord. Just like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel. 7At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. 9And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it. 11Now, therefore, say to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: Thus says the Lord: Look, I am a potter shaping evil against you and devising a plan against you. Turn now, all of you from your evil way, and amend your ways and your doings.(Jer. 18)

So the fact that a prophesy is made does not mean the thing prophesied must happen. Jonah's prophesy is a good example of this. When beings with free will are involved, they may choose one thing or choose another. The prophesy declares what will happen providing a given choice is made.

Quote:
The problem this causes is for your position that God's knowing a certain outcome eliminates all other possibilities but one. But here we see 1) God says Satan will be defeated, and 2) the SOP reveals that failure was a possible outcome. Therefore, if we accept that God is right and the SOP is right, that means that God's foreknowledge of a particular outcome does not mean that there is only one possibility.

I see several problems with this argument. One is that the fact that something is prophesied means that God is saying the thing prophsied must occur. I've already dealt with this.

Another problem is with the statement that "God's foreknowledge of a particular outcome means that there is only one possibility" and has to do with the use of the term "outcome." An outcome can be known, yet there can be many ways to bring about this outcome. This is why I spoke of Christ's coming. It's 100% certain that Christ will come (the outcome is known), but there are many ways this can happen (so it's not correct to infer there is only one possibility in this case).

Finally it appears there is some misunderstanding in regards to what my position is. My position is centered on the nature of the future, which is that it is comprised of many possibilities with different probabilities of outcome as opposed to certainties. God's foreknowledge enters into this only indirectly. I maintain that God knows that future as it actually is, as opposed to some way it is not. So if God foreknows the future as a series of events which are certain to occur, then the future is comprised of certainties as opposed to probabilities. In this case God's foreknowledge would be a simple thing; He would simply see what will happen. OTOH if God foreknows the future in terms of events that may happen, His foreknowledge is a much more complex thing, which might be characterized as a complex of trees (I'm speaking of trees in a logical sense, not as plants).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #102334
09/04/08 03:40 PM
09/04/08 03:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:

Here's my question to you: Did God know, in Eden, that Jesus would succeed? (And when I say "know" I mean knowing for a certainty, not just knowing possibilities or probabilities.)

God knew Christ could fail and that Christ could succeed. The SOP statement makes that clear. If God knew that Christ could fail, He couldn't have known as a certainty that Christ would succeed.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #102336
09/04/08 04:36 PM
09/04/08 04:36 PM
A
Aaron  Offline
TN
Just because Christ could have failed doesnt mean that God didnt know that He wouldnt fail. Thats implying foreknowledge is causative. Your saying if God knows for certain what will happen then nothing else can happen except that. But that is affirming the consequent.

Aaron

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Aaron] #102341
09/04/08 06:20 PM
09/04/08 06:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Just because Christ could have failed doesn't mean that God didn't know that He wouldn't fail.

Sure it does. The only way this wouldn't be true would be if something God knows will certainly happen can not happen. Do you believe this is possible?

For example, if God knows for certainty that Obama will win the election, is it possible that God will be wrong and McCain will win?

Quote:
Thats implying foreknowledge is causative.

No it's not. This is making the same mistake Arnold is, confusing inference with causation. Often one can make an inference without having any idea as to the cause. This happens all the time in science.

Quote:
Your saying if God knows for certain what will happen then nothing else can happen except that. But that is affirming the consequent.

I'm saying that God knows things as they are. So if God knows the future as fixed, then the future is fixed (by fixed, I mean as consisting of one option). The cause is the nature of the future, not God's knowledge of it. God's knowledge of it is immaterial as a cause.

A.Future is fixed ==> only one option possible.
B.Future open ==> many options possible.

If God knows the future as fixed, then it is fixed, and there is only one option possible. If God knows the future as open, then many options are possible.

The causative agent in this is the nature of the future, not God's knowledge of it.

Is the future open, or fixed? That's the real question.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #102344
09/05/08 01:22 AM
09/05/08 01:22 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:

God knew Christ could fail and that Christ could succeed. The SOP statement makes that clear. If God knew that Christ could fail, He couldn't have known as a certainty that Christ would succeed.

My responses to your 3 statements: Agree, agree, disagree. But before we continue with that, I want to look a bit into Gen 3:15.

You articulate an interesting understanding of Genesis 3:15. When God said, "He shall bruise your head" to Satan, you believe God was saying, "Christ could succeed"? Are you saying that Jesus bruising Satan's head wasn't a certainty?

The SOP has something to say on this:
 Quote:
The sentence pronounced on Satan, "I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel" (Genesis 3:15), was to our first parents a promise of the redemption to be wrought out through Christ. {AA 222.1}

"I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed. It shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." This declaration contained the first gospel promise to man. {Con 18.3}

The Lord declared, "I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." Genesis 3:15. This sentence, uttered in the hearing of our first parents, was to them a promise. While it foretold war between man and Satan, it declared that the power of the great adversary would finally be broken. ... Though they must suffer from the power of their mighty foe, they could look forward to final victory. {PP 65.4}

The message proclaimed by the angel flying in the midst of heaven is the everlasting gospel, the same gospel that was declared in Eden when God said to the serpent, "I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel" (Gen. 3:15). Here was the first promise of a Saviour who would stand on the field of battle to contest the power of Satan and prevail against him. {2SM 106.2}

She calls Gen 3:15 "a promise of the redemption to be wrought out through Christ." When God uttered it in Eden, was this promise of redemption a sure thing or just a possibility?

Just in case anyone is not sure how Gen 3:15 was fulfilled...
 Quote:
When Christ hung in agony upon the cross, while evil spirits rejoiced and evil men reviled, then indeed His heel was bruised by Satan. But that very act was crushing the serpent's head. Through death He destroyed "him that had the power of death, that is, the devil." Hebrews 2:14. This act decided the destiny of the rebel chief, and made forever sure the plan of salvation. In death He gained the victory over its power; in rising again, He opened the gates of the grave to all His followers. In that last great contest we see fulfilled the prophecy, "It shall bruise thy head, and thou shall bruise his heel." Genesis 3:15. {PK 701.3}

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #102345
09/05/08 01:24 AM
09/05/08 01:24 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA

My answer is that the future is open, with many possibilities, but God knows exactly how each worm will crawl out.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #102346
09/05/08 01:28 AM
09/05/08 01:28 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA

I think there's something else to consider: Does every moral decision have a cause, or are some of them arbitrary and random? If there's always a cause, does God have the resources to link all the causes with their effects?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 13 of 27 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 26 27

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!