HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,618
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,400 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 27 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103761
10/17/08 06:13 PM
10/17/08 06:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
M: Yes, and it would not have involved Jesus suffering and dying for sin.

T: You don't know this. You can't. There's no way you could know that God may not have had some other way of solving the problems Satan raised had man not sinned. At least, if you dispute this, I'd like to see your evidence.

If man had not sinned, then Jesus' suffering and death would have served no purpose as the evil angels were beyond redemption. I agree God would have done something else to win the GC, but it's clear to me it would not have involved Jesus suffering and dying.

I'm sorry, I misunderstand you. I thought you were saying it would be necessary anyway. That is, since Christ's death showed that Satan was wrong for the holy angels and unfallen worlds, even if man did not Christ to die, there would still be this need for the holy angels and unfallen worlds. Part of the reason I misread you is I have a friend who makes this argument.

Anway, I agree with you. I think God could have solved it some other way.

Quote:
I'm surprised you are as comfortable as you are making this claim. The angels were totally familiar with the plan of salvation.

No, they weren't. There are several ways to see this. I'll name three.

1.From DA 764, we see that had God allowed Satan and his followers to reap the result of their sin, which is death, this would have been misunderstood and allowed for a seed of doubt to come about. It took the cross for them to understand that the wicked die not because God kills them but because of their own choice.

2.This quote says:

Quote:
The angels thought that the time had come to strike the blow of justice, whom, lo, to their wondering vision was unveiled the plan of salvation." MS 22, January 10, 1890

The angels were not expecting what happened to happen.

3.Not until the death of Christ did the angels understand Satan's character.

There were familiar with the Plan of Salvation in the sense it had been explained to them, but they didn't understand the revelations which came from this plan actually being implemented.

Quote:
Jesus explained it to them in great detail. Also, the angels will clamor for the double death and punishment of sinners during the 7 last plagues, which is well after the cross. Justice is as much a part of God's character as is mercy.

You're misunderstanding "justice" here. Here's a nice article discussing it: http://www.peaceworkmagazine.org/pwork/0499/049910.htm.

This discusses how justice, in Scripture, is restorative, not retributive. Christ's whole message was about this. Not retribution (strike back the person who strikes you) but restoration (turn the other cheek).

Quote:
Law and justice require God to punish and destroy sinners in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness.

Sinners suffer because of sin, not because of arbitrary actions on God's part. The sin itself causes their suffering and death. Sin is not innocuous!

Quote:
The angels have been cool with this aspect of God's character from the very beginning of the GC. And, it was not the result of incorrect thinking or bad theology.

It was the result of a misunderstanding on their part. They were "amazed" by the Plan of Salvation.

Quote:
Thus, the idea that FMAs required the suffering and death of Jesus to be secure against evil is not true since God could have done something to make them more secure against evil without Jesus having to suffer and die.

The argument of requirement has not been made. The argument of sufficiency has been made. That is, it has been asserted that without the cross the angels would be no more secure than they were before Satan began his rebellion. "The cross made the angels secure," not "the cross was required to make the angels secure." The latter might or might not be true; we haven't been told. I agree with you that in believing that God could have used another way.

At any rate, your argument is unsound anyway because the fact that God could have solved the problem in some other way does not mean that there was no problem, which is what your argument is asserting.

Quote:
It's talking about the GC. At the end of the GC the angels will not doubt the goodness of God when He punishes and destroys sinners in the lake of fire. My point is they were at this point from the moment Jesus explained to them in great detail the plan of salvation. To the angels Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. To the angels Jesus won the GC from the foundation of the world. Also, if man had not sinned, the angels would have been cool with God punishing and destroying the evil angels soon thereafter. They ready early on for God to punish and destroy the evil angels.

This doesn't fit with what we're told. I've already cited three points above which bear this out, so I won't repeat the argument. However, I'll point out that "being cool" with God's destroying evil angels is exhibiting the very misunderstanding the cross was designed to correct.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103829
10/20/08 02:29 PM
10/20/08 02:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
M: This quote deals with time just before the incarnation of Christ. By this time, the angels had witnessed God punish and destroy sinners on many occasions, in fact, they had participated in punishing and destroying sinners on many occasions. Also, they weren't surprised at the plan of salvation, they had known about it for 4,000 years. They knew the prophecies perfectly well, they knew all about every minute detail, they knew the time was at hand for Jesus' incarnation. It's just that they were amazed and surprised God did not also punish and destroy many of the sin hardened people.

T: Right. They were amazed and surprised. That was my point. I guess you're disputing that the Plan of Salvation amazed them? That is was the fact that God didn't kill people?

And my point is the angels were not "incorrect" in thinking God could justifiably punish and destroy sinners just before the first advent of Jesus.

Quote:
The angels thought that the time had come to strike the blow of justice, whom, lo, to their wondering vision was unveiled the plan of salvation." MS 22, January 10, 1890

T: This is clear, MM; this has in view the unveiled Plan of Salvation, not simply God's not killing people.

It brings to light both aspects of the GC.

Quote:
T: Do you think that Jesus Christ died because God killed Him? You didn't address this.

M: Yes and no. Yes, because the Father did things that contributed to the intense suffering Jesus experienced between Gethsemane and the cross.

T: What did He do?

He veiled His presence.

Quote:
M: No, because Jesus laid down His own life. He was not killed by anything or anyone.

T: Peter said: "Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. 23This man was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross.(Acts 2)

Christ was put to death by being nailed to a cross. When Christ said He was laying down His life, He meant that He went to His fate voluntarily, not that He was not killed.

I disagree. Yes, Jews and Romans were responsible for nailing Jesus to the cross, but they didn't kill Him.

John
17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Quote:
M: She doesn't simply say "not secure", she specifically says "not secure against evil".

T: I quoted what she said. She said, "for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God."

"Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan." (5BC 1132)

Quote:
M: Being more secure against evil on account of the cross does not in the least mean they were not secure against evil before Lucifer rebelled.

T: You are the one misquoting her! She didn't say "not more secure" she said "not secure."

I take it you agree with me, then, that being more secure against evil on account of the cross does not in the least mean they were not secure against evil before Lucifer rebelled.

Quote:
M: If, as you say, they were not secure against evil then all of the angels would have rebelled and not just one-third of them.

T: Not at all, MM. The angels, as a class were not secure at the time Satan began his rebellion. They didn't become any more secure than this until the cross. The status of a class is not dependent upon the actions of specific individuals of that class. It's the fact that *any* of the angels rebelled that shows that the angels, as a class, were not secure.

The majority did not rebel, therefore, they were secure enough against evil to not rebel.

Quote:
M: The fact the majority of them did not rebel is convincing evidence they were secure against evil.

T: Not at all. The fact that *any* of them rebelled is 100% proof that they were not secure.

I disagree.

Quote:
M: Yes, they are now even more secure against evil this side of the cross, but being more secure doesn't mean they were not previously secure against evil.

T: If you say "even more secure," it's clear you're not understanding her point. Here's her statement: Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan.

She is not arguing that the angels were really secure when Satan rebelled, and even more secure after the cross, but that the angels were not secure when Satan rebelled, and no more secure than that without the cross.

She doesn't say that the cross provided more security, but security. The issue she addresses is not security vs. more security but a lack of security vs. security.

Again, what you call "lack of security" resulted in the majority of the angels not rebelling.

Quote:
"The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God."

T: Apart from looking to the sufferings of the Son of God, what are the angels? Quoting from above: "not secure." She doesn't say, "not more secure," but "not secure."

Considering what she wrote elsewhere it is obvious to me that the majority of the angels were secure enough against evil to not rebel. The fact a minority of angels rebelled is mysterious and unexplainable. Why? Because they were so secure against evil.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #103831
10/20/08 02:38 PM
10/20/08 02:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
M: At the end of the GC the angels will not doubt the goodness of God when He punishes and destroys sinners in the lake of fire. My point is they were at this point from the moment Jesus explained to them in great detail the plan of salvation. To the angels Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. To the angels Jesus won the GC from the foundation of the world. Also, if man had not sinned, the angels would have been cool with God punishing and destroying the evil angels soon thereafter. They were ready early on for God to punish and destroy the evil angels.

T: This doesn't fit with what we're told. I've already cited three points above which bear this out, so I won't repeat the argument. However, I'll point out that "being cool" with God's destroying evil angels is exhibiting the very misunderstanding the cross was designed to correct.

True, the angels weren't ready for God to punish and destroy the fallen angels the instant they were cast down to earth, but they were ready soon thereafter, even before A&E ate the forbidden fruit. The quotes you posted about it do not disagree with this observation.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #103836
10/20/08 02:57 PM
10/20/08 02:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
True, the angels weren't ready for God to punish and destroy the fallen angels the instant they were cast down to earth, but they were ready soon thereafter, even before A&E ate the forbidden fruit. The quotes you posted about it do not disagree with this observation.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. This is from DA 764:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

The context here is the cross. God could "leave" Satan and his followers to reap the final result of their sin, which would have been they would have perished (not that God would kill them!) but this would have remained in their minds as evil seed (because before the cross it would have appeared that God had killed them!)

MM, the logic here is very simple. Satan was presenting God as being severe and arbitrary. He argued that God will kill you if you don't do exactly what He says. In true, it is sin which kills, not God. But if the angels had no frame of reference by which to correctly interpret death, it would have appeared to them, if God had left Satan to perish as a result of sin, that God was doing the very thing that Satan was accusing Him of.

Therefore it was necessary for the truth to be seen, which the cross demonstrated, which is that sin results in death. This is why these paragraphs, quoted above, are in the chapter which is dealing with Christ's death! It is the cross which allows us to properly understand the destruction of the wicked.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103863
10/21/08 04:18 PM
10/21/08 04:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Where in the Bible or the SOP does Satan say, "God will kill you if you don't do exactly what He says"? And, how does this differ from what God said in Eden: "For in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." (Gen 2:17)

Also, how does this fit in with what Satan told Eve: "Ye shall not surely die: for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." (Gen 3:4, 5) Seems to me Satan said the opposite of what you claim.

And, regarding the holy angels, they were cool with God punishing and destroying Satan and his sympathizers the moment Jesus explained the plan of salvation. Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #103864
10/21/08 04:23 PM
10/21/08 04:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Please address post #103829 above on this thread. Thank you.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #103895
10/22/08 02:59 AM
10/22/08 02:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T: Right. They were amazed and surprised. That was my point. I guess you're disputing that the Plan of Salvation amazed them? That is was the fact that God didn't kill people?

M:And my point is the angels were not "incorrect" in thinking God could justifiably punish and destroy sinners just before the first advent of Jesus.

They were wrong in thinking that God would do such a thing. The error was in relation to God's character, not in relation to what God could or could not justifiably do.

Quote:

T: This is clear, MM; this has in view the unveiled Plan of Salvation, not simply God's not killing people.

M:It brings to light both aspects of the GC.

"Lo, to their wondering vision was unveiled the plan of salvation." That's just one.

Quote:
M: No, because Jesus laid down His own life. He was not killed by anything or anyone.

T: Peter said: "Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. 23This man was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross.(Acts 2)

Christ was put to death by being nailed to a cross. When Christ said He was laying down His life, He meant that He went to His fate voluntarily, not that He was not killed.

I disagree. Yes, Jews and Romans were responsible for nailing Jesus to the cross, but they didn't kill Him.

Acts 2 says

Quote:
Fellow Israelites, listen carefully to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man thoroughly accredited by God to you—the miracles and wonders and signs that God did through him are common knowledge—this Jesus, following the deliberate and well-thought-out plan of God, was betrayed by men who took the law into their own hands, and was handed over to you. And you pinned him to a cross and killed him.

Quote:
M: She doesn't simply say "not secure", she specifically says "not secure against evil".

T: I quoted what she said. She said, "for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God."

"Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan." (5BC 1132)

You're citing the wrong passage! Since you are asserting she did not say "not secure against evil," you need to cite the passage *I* was citing, because you were responding to what *I* said.

Quote:
M: If, as you say, they were not secure against evil then all of the angels would have rebelled and not just one-third of them.

T: Not at all, MM. The angels, as a class were not secure at the time Satan began his rebellion. They didn't become any more secure than this until the cross. The status of a class is not dependent upon the actions of specific individuals of that class. It's the fact that *any* of the angels rebelled that shows that the angels, as a class, were not secure.

M:The majority did not rebel, therefore, they were secure enough against evil to not rebel.

This is missing the point. The issue is not whether the angels were secure enough or not secure enough to not rebel. She says that without the cross, the angels were no more secure than they were when Satan rebelled.

Here's her statement:

Quote:
-The death of Christ upon the cross made sure the destruction of him who has the power of death, who was the originator of sin. When Satan is destroyed, there will be none to tempt to evil; the atonement will never need to be repeated; and there will be no danger of another rebellion in the universe of God. That which alone can effectually restrain from sin in this world of darkness, will prevent sin in heaven. The significance of the death of Christ will be seen by saints and angels. Fallen men could not have a home in the paradise of God without the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. Shall we not then exalt the cross of Christ? The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan. Angelic perfection failed in heaven. Human perfection failed in Eden, the paradise of bliss. All who wish for security in earth or heaven must look to the Lamb of God. (5SDABC 1132)

The last sentence should make the point clear. Please notice it doesn't say "more security," but simply "security."

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103896
10/22/08 03:17 AM
10/22/08 03:17 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Where in the Bible or the SOP does Satan say, "God will kill you if you don't do exactly what He says"?

Here's an SOP statement:

Quote:
Satan led men to conceive of God as a being whose chief attribute is stern justice--one who is a severe judge, a harsh, exacting creditor. He pictured the Creator as a being who is watching with jealous eye to discern the errors and mistakes of men that He may visit judgments upon them. It was to remove this dark shadow, by revealing to the world the infinite love of God, that Jesus came to live among men.--SC 11 (1892).

Quote:
And, how does this differ from what God said in Eden: "For in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." (Gen 2:17)

It differs in the way set out in DA 764:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764)

The wicked are not killed by an arbitrary action on God's part, but as a result of their own choice.

Quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

They reap the full result of their sin; they suffer the "inevitable result of sin."

Quote:
Also, how does this fit in with what Satan told Eve: "Ye shall not surely die: for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." (Gen 3:4, 5) Seems to me Satan said the opposite of what you claim.

Satan deceived man by misrepresenting His character. This is what Satan was doing here, by insinuating that God didn't have the best interests of His creatures at heart. God warned man that if they sinned they would die. Satan argued that sin was innocuous, which many believe to be the case. Because sin is viewed as innocuous, it is deemed necessary that God kill sinners (since sin can't finish them off, being innocuous).

Quote:
And, regarding the holy angels, they were cool with God punishing and destroying Satan and his sympathizers the moment Jesus explained the plan of salvation.

??? Where do you get this idea from?? I'm sure you can find passages where the angels were willing or expecting God to do away with man, but these passages say nothing about their being inspired to do so by the Plan of Salvation! Indeed, we see the exact opposite in the following:

Quote:
All heaven watched the movements of God with intense interest. Would He once more manifest His wrath? Would He destroy the world by fire? The angels thought that the time had come to strike the blow of justice, whom, lo, to their wondering vision was unveiled the plan of salvation." MS 22, January 10, 1890

Quote:
"The heavenly intelligences were prepared for a fearful manifestation of Almighty power. Every move was watched with intense anxiety. The exercise of justice was expected. The angels looked for God to punish the inhabitants of the earth..."

"The heavenly universe was amazed at God’s patience and love. To save fallen humanity the Son of God took humanity upon himself." (Review and Herald, July 17, 1900)

Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. [/quote]

And, regarding the holy angels, they were cool with God punishing and destroying Satan and his sympathizers the moment Jesus explained the plan of salvation. Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #103911
10/22/08 05:17 PM
10/22/08 05:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Where in the Bible or the SOP does Satan say, "God will kill you if you don't do exactly what He says"?

T: Here's an SOP statement: “Satan led men to conceive of God as a being whose chief attribute is stern justice--one who is a severe judge, a harsh, exacting creditor. He pictured the Creator as a being who is watching with jealous eye to discern the errors and mistakes of men that He may visit judgments upon them. It was to remove this dark shadow, by revealing to the world the infinite love of God, that Jesus came to live among men.--SC 11 (1892).

Actually, this passage states it even more harshly, eh! Of course there is a degree of truth to what Satan says, namely, that God is strict about requiring obedience and punishing disobedience. Listen:

"The principles of justice required a faithful narration of facts for the benefit of all who should ever read the Sacred Record. Here we discern the evidences of divine wisdom. We are required to obey the law of God, and are not only instructed as to the penalty of disobedience, but we have narrated for our benefit and warning the history of Adam and Eve in Paradise, and the sad results of their disobedience of God's commands. The account is full and explicit. The law given to man in Eden is recorded, together with the penalty accruing in case of its disobedience. Then follows the story of the temptation and fall, and the punishment inflicted upon our erring parents. Their example is given us as a warning against disobedience, that we may be sure that the wages of sin is death, that God's retributive justice never fails, and that He exacts from His creatures a strict regard for His commandments. When the law was proclaimed at Sinai, how definite was the penalty annexed, how sure was punishment to follow the transgression of that law, and how plain are the cases recorded in evidence of that fact! {4T 11.3}

"God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law. Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. The death of the spotless Son of God testifies that "the wages of sin is death," that every violation of God's law must receive its just retribution. Christ the sinless became sin for man. He bore the guilt of transgression, and the hiding of His Father's face, until His heart was broken and His life crushed out. All this sacrifice was made that sinners might be redeemed. In no other way could man be freed from the penalty of sin. And every soul that refuses to become a partaker of the atonement provided at such a cost must bear in his own person the guilt and punishment of transgression. {GC 539.3}

Nevertheless, don’t you find it odd that in the end Satan will personate Christ? Why would he work so hard to make us fear and hate God and then turn around and personate Him? Seems counterproductive. Could it be that since the cross Satan has been laboring to paint an opposite picture of God, to make people think God is sweet and soft on sin? Listen:

By His life and His death, Christ proved that God's justice did not destroy His mercy, but that sin could be forgiven, and that the law is righteous, and can be perfectly obeyed. Satan's charges were refuted. God had given man unmistakable evidence of His love. {DA 762.4}

Another deception was now to be brought forward. Satan declared that mercy destroyed justice, that the death of Christ abrogated the Father's law. . . Yet the very means by which Christ established the law Satan represented as destroying it. Here will come the last conflict of the great controversy between Christ and Satan. {DA 762.5}

That the law which was spoken by God's own voice is faulty, that some specification has been set aside, is the claim which Satan now puts forward. It is the last great deception that he will bring upon the world. He needs not to assail the whole law; if he can lead men to disregard one precept, his purpose is gained. {DA 763.1}

Quote:
M: And, how does this differ from what God said in Eden: "For in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." (Gen 2:17)

T: It differs in the way set out in DA 764: This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764)

The wicked are not killed by an arbitrary action on God's part, but as a result of their own choice. “At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

They reap the full result of their sin; they suffer the "inevitable result of sin."

The “destruction” and “eradication” of sin and sinners is the inevitable result of sinning. God doesn’t leave it up to sin to punish and destroy sinners. Even you agree it is the unveiled glory of God that causes sinners to suffer and die. He takes matters into His own hands. He will blot sinners out of existence. She states the matter more clearly in the following passages:

Even when it was decided that he could no longer remain in heaven, Infinite Wisdom did not destroy Satan. Since the service of love can alone be acceptable to God, the allegiance of His creatures must rest upon a conviction of His justice and benevolence. The inhabitants of heaven and of other worlds, being unprepared to comprehend the nature or consequences of sin, could not then have seen the justice and mercy of God in the destruction of Satan. Had he been immediately blotted from existence, they would have served God from fear rather than from love. The influence of the deceiver would not have been fully destroyed, nor would the spirit of rebellion have been utterly eradicated. Evil must be permitted to come to maturity. For the good of the entire universe through ceaseless ages Satan must more fully develop his principles, that his charges against the divine government might be seen in their true light by all created beings, that the justice and mercy of God and the immutability of His law might forever be placed beyond all question. {GC 498.3}

By the facts unfolded in the progress of the great controversy, God will demonstrate the principles of His rules of government, which have been falsified by Satan and by all whom he has deceived. His justice will finally be acknowledged by the whole world, though the acknowledgment will be made too late to save the rebellious. God carries with Him the sympathy and approval of the whole universe as step by step His great plan advances to its complete fulfillment. He will carry it with Him in the final eradication of rebellion. It will be seen that all who have forsaken the divine precepts have placed themselves on the side of Satan, in warfare against Christ. When the prince of this world shall be judged, and all who have united with him shall share his fate, the whole universe as witnesses to the sentence will declare, "Just and true are Thy ways, Thou King of saints." Revelation 15:3. {PP 79.1}

Quote:
M: Also, how does this fit in with what Satan told Eve: "Ye shall not surely die: for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." (Gen 3:4, 5) Seems to me Satan said the opposite of what you claim.

T: Satan deceived man by misrepresenting His character. This is what Satan was doing here, by insinuating that God didn't have the best interests of His creatures at heart. God warned man that if they sinned they would die. Satan argued that sin was innocuous, which many believe to be the case. Because sin is viewed as innocuous, it is deemed necessary that God kill sinners (since sin can't finish them off, being innocuous).

But Satan told Eve that she would not die. He didn’t say, “God will kill you if you sin.” I agree Satan misrepresented God, but he didn’t do it by saying God will kill you. He said the opposite, “Ye shall not surely die.” Turns out he was right. They didn’t die. And, if God hadn’t barred access to the tree of life, they would have eaten and lived forever. See Gen 3:22.

Does this mean sin is innocuous? No, of course not. Sinning is a hideous and terrible thing. The fact it doesn’t kill sinners doesn’t make it less repugnant and repulsive. And, the fact God will destroy and eradicate sinners with their sins in the lake of fire doesn’t make Him cruel or tyrannical.

The only reason God did not immediately blot the evil angels out of existence is because the rest of the universe was unprepared for it. And, the only reason God did not immediately execute A&E is because there was hope the human race would respond to the love of God be saved.

Quote:
M: And, regarding the holy angels, they were cool with God punishing and destroying Satan and his sympathizers the moment Jesus explained the plan of salvation. Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

T: ??? Where do you get this idea from?? I'm sure you can find passages where the angels were willing or expecting God to do away with man, but these passages say nothing about their being inspired to do so by the Plan of Salvation! Indeed, we see the exact opposite in the following:

“All heaven watched the movements of God with intense interest. Would He once more manifest His wrath? Would He destroy the world by fire? The angels thought that the time had come to strike the blow of justice, whom, lo, to their wondering vision was unveiled the plan of salvation." MS 22, January 10, 1890.

"The heavenly intelligences were prepared for a fearful manifestation of Almighty power. Every move was watched with intense anxiety. The exercise of justice was expected. The angels looked for God to punish the inhabitants of the earth... The heavenly universe was amazed at God’s patience and love. To save fallen humanity the Son of God took humanity upon himself." (Review and Herald, July 17, 1900)

Yes, the angels were amazed God did not destroy the sinners just before Jesus’ incarnation. Nor are they amazed when God forgives penitent sinners. They were not amazed that Jesus became the incarnate Son of God to ransom and redeem penitent sinners. They were well aware of the plan of salvation. The point is they were cool with God destroying unpardonable sinners long before Jesus died on the cross in 31AD.

Again, Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, therefore, the angels have benefited from the efficacy of His death since the moment He explained the plan of salvation to them. From then on they have been cool with the idea of God blotting evil angels out of existence. In fact, they would have been cool with it if A&E had not sinned. These 6,000 years of sin and suffering are not necessary for the angels to be cool with God destroying and eradicating sinners.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Mountain Man] #103912
10/22/08 05:18 PM
10/22/08 05:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Please address post #103829 above on this thread. Thank you.

Page 24 of 27 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!