HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, Nadi, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103627
10/14/08 10:18 PM
10/14/08 10:18 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
This speaks of both a penalty being paid and of God pardoning an injury done to Himself. Do you agree with this?

I think so.

Quote:
The point is that a righteous person is someone who is obedient to the law.

For someone to be considered righteous, this person must be perfectly obedient to the law from the moment of birth to the moment of death. This, obviously, is not our case. Even after we are reborn there are shortcomings in our lives, which Ellen White classifies as “unavoidable deficiencies.” That’s why she says that “in ourselves we are sinners, but in Christ we are righteous.” That’s why she says that

“Sinners can be justified by God only when He pardons their sins, remits the punishment they deserve, and treats them as though they were really just and had not sinned, receiving them into divine favor and treating them as if they were righteous. They are justified alone through the imputed righteousness of Christ. The Father accepts the Son, and through the atoning sacrifice of His Son accepts the sinner.” {OHC 52.3}

Quote:
R: Remember that God requires from us a perfect obedience like that of Adam before his fall - this means no sin at all.
T: This is why He gives us the righteousness of Christ.

Yes, and that’s why, again, in ourselves we are sinners, but in Christ we are righteous.

Quote:
Also, this requirement is not something arbitrary. It's a "requirement" as a recognition of fact. In order to be at peace with God, at harmony with Him, we must be righteous, because He is righteous.

No, it cannot be a recognition of fact. If the law (or God) looked simply at the reality of our lives, even after rebirth, it would never recognize us as righteous. The law (or God) must look at the reality of the life of Christ in order to recognize us as righteous. So, like an umbrella, His life must continually cover ours, because the fact is that our lives are imperfect.

Quote:
R: No, what I’m claiming sounds like Luther’s theology (simul iustus et peccator)...Ford’s theology is the theology of the evangelicals. He excludes heart renewal from justification and places it in sanctification. Justification for him – and for them - is only a legal pronouncement.
T: Isn't this exactly what you are doing with COL 312?

Tom, COL 312 is speaking about the investigative judgment and the heavenly examination of character, of our works. Ellen White says clearly that the robe here is imparted righteousness; she even quotes Rev. 19:8 – “the fine linen is the righteousness of the saints,” or, in other versions, “the righteous acts of the saints.”

“By the wedding garment in the parable is represented the pure, spotless character which Christ's true followers will possess. To the church it is given "that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white," "not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing." Eph. 5:27. The fine linen, says the Scripture, "is the righteousness of saints." Rev. 19:8. It is the righteousness of Christ, His own unblemished character, that through faith is imparted to all who receive Him as their personal Saviour” (p. 310).

And she says, too: “When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life.” Living His life is a process – it’s sanctification, not justification (justification is pardon, remember?).

Quote:
R: I think COL 312 refers to sanctification, not to justification.
T: You think being covered by the robes of Christ's righteousness is not justification?

It can refer to both imputed and imparted righteousness, and in fact both are inseparable, but here it refers specifically to imparted righteousness.

Quote:
Regarding SC 62, I think you're misunderstanding her. The "more than this" is not separate from the declaration of righteousness; it is the declaration of righteousness which changes the heart!

Ellen White never mentions that. She mentions the two aspects as distinct aspects.

Quote:
1 Timothy 1:15 Faithful is the word, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom *I* am the first.
Anyone who has seen the cross and understood it will feel like Paul.

True. We will feel like sinners, which is what we really are – although reborn, although loving righteousness, in ourselves we are sinners.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #103628
10/15/08 12:24 AM
10/15/08 12:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, I'll get to your points in my subsequent post, but I don't feel you didn't adequately address the arguments I presented, so for your convenience I'm repeating them here:

Quote:
By the wedding garment in the parable is represented the pure, spotless character which Christ's true followers will possess. (COL 310)

I'm enumerating the arguments this time. If you see some flaw in the logic, please specify the step you see as flawed.

Argument A

1.Every justified person is a true follower of Christ.
2.Therefore all justified persons are clothed by the wedding garment which represents Christ's righteousness.
3.Equivalently, there are no justified people who are not covered with the robe of Christ's righteousness.

Immediately following she says:

Quote:

It is the righteousness of Christ, His own unblemished character, that through faith is imparted to all who receive Him as their personal Saviour.

Argument B

1.This robe is imparted to all who receive Christ as their personal Savior.
2.Those who receive Christ as their personal Savior are precisely those who are justified.
3.Therefore all justified persons have this garment.

A little while later:

Quote:

This covering, the robe of His own righteousness, Christ will put upon every repenting, believing soul.

Argument C

1.Every repenting, believing soul, has this robe of righteousness.
2.Those who repent and believe are precisely those who are justified.
3.Therefore all justified persons have this garment.

Quote:
Christ always separates the contrite soul from sin. He came to destroy the works of the devil, and He has made provision that the Holy Spirit shall be imparted to every repentant soul, to keep him from sinning.(DA 311)

Argument D

1.All justified persons are contrite souls.
2.Since Christ "always" separates the contrite soul from sin, it follows that all justified persons are separated from sin.
3.The contrite person who is separated from sin is not transgressing the law, but obeying it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103633
10/15/08 01:24 AM
10/15/08 01:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:This speaks of both a penalty being paid and of God pardoning an injury done to Himself. Do you agree with this?

R:I think so.

When I asked if you "agree with this," I was referring to Waggoner's statement, not whether the statement speaks of both a penalty being paid and of God pardoning an injury done to Himself. From your response, it's not clear what you are agreeing to. I could have been more precise in my question, so I'll be so this time around. Do you agree with Waggoner's following statement?

Quote:
Let the reader try to picture the scene. Here stands the law as the swift witness against the sinner. It cannot change, and it will not call a sinner a righteous man. The convicted sinner tries again and again to obtain righteousness from the law, but it resists all his advances. It cannot be bribed by any amount of penance or professedly good deeds. But here stands Christ, "full of grace" as well as of truth, calling the sinner to Him. At last the sinner, weary of the vain struggle to get righteousness from the law, listens to the voice of Christ and flees to His outstretched arms. Hiding in Christ, he is covered with His righteousness, and now behold! he has obtained, through faith in Christ, that for which he has been vainly striving. He has the righteousness which the law requires, and it is the genuine article, because he obtained it from the Source of Righteousness, from the very place whence the law came. And the law witnesses to the genuineness of this righteousness. It says that so long as the man retains that, it will go into court and defend him against all accusers. It will witness to the fact that he is a righteous man. With the righteousness which is "through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith" (Phil. 3:9), Paul was sure that he would stand secure in the day of Christ.

Quote:
For someone to be considered righteous, this person must be perfectly obedient to the law from the moment of birth to the moment of death.

This isn't true. For someone to be considered righteous, the person must have faith.

Quote:
For the Scriptures tell us, “Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith. (Romans 4:3;NLT)

Waggoner makes the following point:

Quote:
Who, then, can be saved? Can there, then, be such a thing as a righteous person? Yes, for the Bible often speaks of them. It speaks of Lot as "that righteous man." It says, "Say ye to the righteous, that it shall be well with him, for they shall eat the fruit of their doings" (Isa. 3:10)(Christ And His Rightoueness)

This point is well taken. There is such a thing as a righteous person, because the Bible refers to many people as "righteous." Indeed, anyone who has faith is righteous.

Quote:
Enoch and Noah were found righteous when tested by the law of God. Had the antediluvians kept the way of God, had they obeyed his commandments, they too would have been found righteous, and would have received the Lord's commendation.(ST 2/11/97)

A righteous person is one who obeys the Lord's commandments. (only those who have faith keep the Lord's commandments, and conversely, only those who keep the Lord's commandments have faith, which is to say that the righteous are those who have faith, or, equivalently, keep the Lord's commandments).

Quote:
“Sinners can be justified by God only when He pardons their sins, remits the punishment they deserve, and treats them as though they were really just and had not sinned, receiving them into divine favor and treating them as if they were righteous. They are justified alone through the imputed righteousness of Christ. The Father accepts the Son, and through the atoning sacrifice of His Son accepts the sinner.” {OHC 52.3}

This is referring to a time when they knew not Christ and didn't have faith. After having faith, they receive Christ, and are made righteous by faith. This is simply another way of saying that the law is written in the heart.

Quote:
Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law(Isa. 51:7)

Who is it that know righteousness? The righteous, those in whose heart is written God's law.

Quote:
R: Remember that God requires from us a perfect obedience like that of Adam before his fall - this means no sin at all.
T: This is why He gives us the righteousness of Christ.

R:Yes, and that’s why, again, in ourselves we are sinners, but in Christ we are righteous.

I don't understand why you are making this point. Who has suggested we are righteous in ourselves? The only righteousness there is is the righteousness of Christ, which righteousness we receive, and becomes truly ours, by faith. We receive righteousness by receiving Christ:

Quote:
But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:(1 Cor. 1:30)

Quote:
Also, this requirement is not something arbitrary. It's a "requirement" as a recognition of fact. In order to be at peace with God, at harmony with Him, we must be righteous, because He is righteous.

No, it cannot be a recognition of fact. If the law (or God) looked simply at the reality of our lives, even after rebirth, it would never recognize us as righteous.

The reality of our lives after rebirth is that Christ dwell in our hearts by faith. The following statement from Waggoner, which I quoted previously, explains things nicely:

Quote:
Let the reader try to picture the scene. Here stands the law as the swift witness against the sinner. It cannot change, and it will not call a sinner a righteous man. The convicted sinner tries again and again to obtain righteousness from the law, but it resists all his advances. It cannot be bribed by any amount of penance or professedly good deeds. But here stands Christ, "full of grace" as well as of truth, calling the sinner to Him. At last the sinner, weary of the vain struggle to get righteousness from the law, listens to the voice of Christ and flees to His outstretched arms. Hiding in Christ, he is covered with His righteousness, and now behold! he has obtained, through faith in Christ, that for which he has been vainly striving. He has the righteousness which the law requires, and it is the genuine article, because he obtained it from the Source of Righteousness, from the very place whence the law came. And the law witnesses to the genuineness of this righteousness. It says that so long as the man retains that, it will go into court and defend him against all accusers. (Christ and His Righteousness)

Quote:
And she says, too: “When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life.” Living His life is a process – it’s sanctification, not justification (justification is pardon, remember?).

Returning to this statement, I've already brought forth several arguments as to how we know this statement includes all who are justified, but here's another point. Please consider the following statement:

Quote:
The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God." Ps. 40:8. (DA 176)

This is quite similar to the COL statement, and also deals with justification.

Quote:
R: I think COL 312 refers to sanctification, not to justification.

T: You think being covered by the robes of Christ's righteousness is not justification?

R:It can refer to both imputed and imparted righteousness, and in fact both are inseparable, but here it refers specifically to imparted righteousness.

All those who are justified by faith fall in the category of those of whom COL 312 is referring. My argument is that those who have the characteristic of:

a.Having their thoughts united to Christ's
b.Having their wills merged with His
c.Living His life

are righteous. Do you disagree? If so, can you enumerate an exception? (i.e., someone who was living Christ's life etc., who was not righteous)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #103684
10/15/08 02:40 AM
10/15/08 02:40 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Waggoner's argument, in regards to imputed righteousness, goes like this:

Quote:
Notice in the above account that the taking away of the filthy garments is the same as causing the iniquity to pass from the person. And so we find that when Christ covers us with the robe of His own righteousness, He does not furnish a cloak for sin but takes the sin away. And this shows that the forgiveness of sins is something more than a mere form, something more than a mere entry in the books of record in heaven, to the effect that the sin has been cancelled. The forgiveness of sins is a reality; it is something tangible, something that vitally affects the individual. It actually clears him from guilt, and if he is cleared from guilt, is justified, made righteous, he has certainly undergone a radical change. He is, indeed, another person, for he obtained this righteousness for the remission of sins, in Christ. It was obtained only by putting on Christ. But "if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature." 2 Cor. 5:17. And so the full and free forgiveness of sins carries with it that wonderful and miraculous change known as the new birth, for a man cannot become a new creature except by a new birth. This is the same as having a new, or a clean, heart.

The new heart is a heart that loves righteousness and hates sin. (Christ And His Righteousness)

He uses the same figure of the robe of righteousness, and certainly there's no doubt that he's speaking of justification here. There's also no doubt that Waggoner is speaking of Christ's imputed righteousness either, and he speaks of the change this righteousness makes in man.

Here are statements by Ellen White which also speak of Christ's imputed righteousness and how this righteousness "makes the believer righteous" to use Waggoner's words. We can read her own words, and see how she echos the concept.

Quote:
We aim too low. The mark is much higher. Our minds need expansion, that we may comprehend the significance of the provision of God. We are to reflect the highest attributes of the character of God. . . . The law of God is the exalted standard to which we are to attain through the imputed righteousness of Christ. (OHC 364; ellipses original)

Quote:
Righteousness of Christ imputed to men means holiness, uprightness, purity. Unless Christ's righteousness was imputed to us we could not have acceptable repentance. The righteousness dwelling in us by faith consists of love, forbearance, meekness, and all the Christian virtues. Here the righteousness of Christ is laid hold of and becomes a part of our being. All who have this righteousness will work the works of God. (Testimonies on Sexual Behavior, Adultery, and Divorce (1989), page 134

Quote:
He came to reveal to the heavenly universe, to the worlds unfallen, and to sinful people, that every provision had been made by God in behalf of humanity, and that through the imputed righteousness of Christ all who receive Him by faith can show their loyalty by keeping the law.(Manuscript 63, 1897.)

Quote:
When we take Him as our personal Saviour, this gives us boldness to approach the throne of grace. By beholding we become changed, morally assimilated to the One who is perfect in character. By receiving His imputed righteousness, through the transforming power of the Holy Spirit, we become like Him. The image of Christ is cherished, and it captivates the whole being.(God's Amazing Grace page 96)

Quote:
With principles unsettled, unconsecrated as they are, the waves of temptation sweep them away from what they know to be right, and they do not make holy endeavor to overcome every wrong, and through the imputed righteousness of Christ, perfect a righteous character. (MYP 28)

In regards to the COL 312 statement, here is a very similar one:

Quote:
By His perfect obedience He has made it possible for every human being to obey God's commandments. When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness. Then as the Lord looks upon us He sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah. Those who accept of Christ are looked upon by God, not as they are in Adam, but as they are in Jesus Christ, as the sons and daughters of God.(FILB 113)

Notice that the very next sentence following "Then as the Lord looks upon us He sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah." is "Those who accept of Christ are looked upon by God, not as they are in Adam, but as they are in Jesus Christ, as the sons and daughters of God."

Now this is unquestionably speaking of imputed righteousness.

(Note: in the original, there were ellipses between "those who" and "accept of Christ," but this looks to me to be a mistake, as in every other place I found these words used, there were no ellipses.)

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103692
10/15/08 02:15 PM
10/15/08 02:15 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
All those who are justified by faith fall in the category of those of whom COL 312 is referring.

The robe can refer either

1) to imputed righteousness:

It is the righteousness of Christ that makes the penitent sinner acceptable to God and works his justification. However sinful has been his life, if he believes in Jesus as his personal Saviour, he stands before God in the spotless robes of Christ's imputed righteousness. {ST, July 4, 1892 par. 4}

Or

2) to imparted righteousness

The white raiment is purity of character, the righteousness of Christ imparted to the sinner. This is indeed a garment of heavenly texture, that can be bought only of Christ for a life of willing obedience. {YI, April 22, 1897 par. 5}

I’m not understanding your argument. Obviously only those who are justified can be sanctified, but COL is referring to sanctification - investigative judgment – the character developed – living Christ’s life.

And it’s obvious that even during the whole process of sanctification we need justification. Since our lives are imperfect, we need continually to be under the umbrella of Christ’s perfect life. But you are mixing imputed and imparted righteousness.

From one of your quotes:

Righteousness of Christ imputed to men means holiness, uprightness, purity. Unless Christ's righteousness was imputed to us we could not have acceptable repentance.[imputed righteousness] The righteousness dwelling in us by faith consists of love, forbearance, meekness, and all the Christian virtues. Here the righteousness of Christ is laid hold of and becomes a part of our being. All who have this righteousness will work the works of God.[imparted righteousness] (Testimonies on Sexual Behavior, Adultery, and Divorce (1989), page 134

From another quote:

When through repentance and faith we accept Christ as our Saviour, the Lord pardons our sins, and remits the penalty prescribed for the transgression of the law. The sinner then stands before God as a just person; he is taken into favor with Heaven, and through the Spirit has fellowship with the Father and the Son.[imputed righteousness] Then there is yet another work to be accomplished, and this is for a progressive nature. The soul is to be sanctified through the truth. And this also is accomplished through faith. For it is only by the grace of Christ, which we receive through faith, that the character can be transformed.[imparted righteousness] {ST, November 3, 1890 par. 1}

Imparted righteousness is the righteousness which is laid hold of and becomes a part of our being (the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, ... we live His life).

Quote:
All those who are justified by faith ... are righteous. Do you disagree? If so, can you enumerate an exception? (i.e., someone who was living Christ's life etc., who was not righteous)

They are looked upon as perfect, as righteous, they are considered righteous, they are accounted righteous, but in fact they are imperfect sinners. From your quote:

“Those who accept of Christ are looked upon by God, not as they are in Adam [present tense], but as they are in Jesus Christ, as the sons and daughters of God.” (FILB 113)

Quote:
When I asked if you "agree with this," I was referring to Waggoner's statement, not whether the statement speaks of both a penalty being paid and of God pardoning an injury done to Himself. From your response, it's not clear what you are agreeing to. I could have been more precise in my question, so I'll be so this time around. Do you agree with Waggoner's following statement?

Yes, but as I said, the law (God) recognizes the sinner as righteous because it is looking to Christ’s life instead of ours, or to our life as covered by His, or to our imperfection as covered by His perfection.

Quote:
R: For someone to be considered righteous, this person must be perfectly obedient to the law from the moment of birth to the moment of death.
T: This isn't true. For someone to be considered righteous, the person must have faith.

No, for someone to be considered righteous, this person must be perfectly obedient to the law from the moment of birth to the moment of death. We are declared righteous according to this requirement not because we are so in fact but, indeed, through faith. Christ’s life (of perfect obedience from birth to death) stands in place of our life. The Bible does refer to many people as righteous, but on this basis.

Quote:
<<“Sinners can be justified by God only when He pardons their sins, remits the punishment they deserve, and treats them as though they were really just and had not sinned, receiving them into divine favor and treating them as if they were righteous. They are justified alone through the imputed righteousness of Christ. The Father accepts the Son, and through the atoning sacrifice of His Son accepts the sinner.” {OHC 52.3}>>

This is referring to a time when they knew not Christ and didn't have faith. After having faith, they receive Christ, and are made righteous by faith. This is simply another way of saying that the law is written in the heart.

Just look at the text: “Sinners can be justified by God only when
1) He pardons their sins
2) Remits the punishment they deserve, and
3) Treats them as though they were really just and had not sinned

If what you said is true for the 3d statement, it must also be true for the 1st and the 2nd ones. So what you are saying is that He pardons their sins and remits their punishment before they know Christ and have faith in Him.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #103701
10/15/08 07:11 PM
10/15/08 07:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I’m not understanding your argument. Obviously only those who are justified can be sanctified, but COL is referring to sanctification - investigative judgment – the character developed – living Christ’s life.

Here's my argument. The following statement applies to all who are justified.

Quote:
By His perfect obedience He has made it possible for every human being to obey God's commandments. When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness. Then as the Lord looks upon us He sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah.(FILB 113)

I asked you the question if those who had the following characteristics were righteous:

1.The heart is united with Christ's heart.
2.The will is merged in Christ's will,
3.The mind becomes one with His mind,
4.The thoughts are brought into captivity to Him;

I presented proof that this is dealing with those who are justified. I even enumerated the arguments to make it easier to identify the steps. I'm asking you if you seen any flaw in the logic that identifies the above characteristics as applying to those who are justified. The arguments are in post #103628.

Please either accept my claim that the statement in COL 312 encompasses all who are justified, or point out some flaw in the arguments.

Regarding item 4, this is from "The Desire of Ages"

Quote:
The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ.(DA 176)

This is the same language as COL 312. This is clearly speaking of justification.

In the FILB quote, which is identical to the COL quote, she says:

Quote:
Those who accept of Christ are looked upon by God, not as they are in Adam, but as they are in Jesus Christ, as the sons and daughters of God.

Here is my argument:

1.You claim that God calls those who are justified by faith righteous, but they are not really righteous.

2.This claim is false because
a.COL 312 present the above listed characteristics of believers (every believer has these).
b.Those who have these characteristics are righteous.

To counter this argument, you suggested that COL 312 was not dealing with justification but sanctification. I countered this claim with the arguments in post #103628. Additionally I added the DA quote to show she uses the same language elsewhere as in COL 312 to describe justification. In addition, I pointed out that immediately following the statements of COL 312 (in FILB, where she says the same thing) she makes another statement making clear that she is talking about justification. Namely:

Quote:
Those who accept of Christ are looked upon by God, not as they are in Adam, but as they are in Jesus Christ, as the sons and daughters of God.

This is speaking of justification, not sanctification. Therefore your claim that COL 312 (which is the same as the FILB quote) is dealing not with justification by sanctification is off base.

Here's another argument I presented. In DA 311 it says that "every" contrite soul is separated from sin. I argued that:

1.Every person justified by faith is contrite.
2.Therefore every justified person is separated from sin.
3.Therefore every justified person is righteous (because in is transgression of the law, from which the justified person is separated).

Here's another argument I made.

1.Every justified person has the righteousness of Christ.
2.Every person who has the righteousness of Christ is righteous.

John, in his epistle, argues that everyone who practices righteousness is righteous.

Quote:
Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.(1 John 3:7)

This means such are not simply called righteous, but are actually righteous. This is righteousness by faith.

Another point I was trying to emphasize is that when we receive Christ by faith, His righteousness becomes ours. This is not a legal fiction, but actual truth. This is why those who are justified by faith are called righteous. As Waggoner puts it, they (those who are justified by faith) are made obedient. This happens because the word of God has to the power to do that which is stated. So when declares the person righteous, the person (because God cannot lie) is made righteous. The way the SOP put this was as follows:

Quote:
The Lord in His great mercy sent a most precious message to His people through Elders Waggoner and Jones. This message was to bring more prominently before the world the uplifted Saviour, the sacrifice for the sins of the whole world. It presented justification through faith in the Surety; it invited the people to receive the righteousness of Christ, which is made manifest in obedience to all the commandments of God. (TM 91)

This quote not only endorses what Waggoner was teaching (which is what I presented from "Christ And His Righteousness," that the believer is made righteous) but repeats the same concept in her own words (the underlined portion).

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103703
10/15/08 08:31 PM
10/15/08 08:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
But you are mixing imputed and imparted righteousness.

They can't be unmixed. The mistake is trying to keep them separate.

There are are couple of ways to see this. One is by considering Waggoner's argument, which is that the unbelieving repentant sinner is made righteous by faith by the power of God's word which declares him righteous. The imputed righteousness of Christ makes the believer actually righteous.

A second way is by seeing how EGW used the term "imputed righteousness". Sometimes she used it in a legal sense, but sometimes not, which I showed in the quotes I presented in post #103684.

Quote:
R: For someone to be considered righteous, this person must be perfectly obedient to the law from the moment of birth to the moment of death.
T: This isn't true. For someone to be considered righteous, the person must have faith.

No, for someone to be considered righteous, this person must be perfectly obedient to the law from the moment of birth to the moment of death.[quote]

No, for someone to be consider righteous, they must have faith, as I demonstrated by quoting Paul:

[quote]For the Scriptures tell us, “Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith".

Abraham was considered righteous because of his faith. I also quoted John, who says:

Quote:
Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. (1 John 3:7)

If what you were asserting were true, no one (other than Christ) would be referred to as "righteous."

Quote:
We are declared righteous according to this requirement not because we are so in fact but, indeed, through faith.

I haven't been disputing this, but your assertion that *after* being born again, the believer is called righteous, without actually being righteous. Yes, faith is the instrument to that righteousness, since the righteousness is Christ's, received from Him by faith, but it becomes ours when we receive Him as our personal Savior. One the SOP statements I presented addressed this point as well.

Quote:
The Bible does refer to many people as righteous, but on this basis.

This is exactly what I said. The Bible refers to people as righteous because of their faith.

It strikes me as odd that we have the following:

Quote:

Followed by:

Quote:
No, for someone to be considered righteous, this person must be perfectly obedient to the law from the moment of birth to the moment of death.

and then

Quote:
We are declared righteous ... indeed, through faith.... The Bible does refer to many people as righteous, but on this basis.

which is what I've been saying. Clearly if people can be considered righteous, on the basis of faith, it is not true that they must be perfectly obedient to the law from the moment of birth to the moment of death.

Quote:
Just look at the text: “Sinners can be justified by God only when
1) He pardons their sins
2) Remits the punishment they deserve, and
3) Treats them as though they were really just and had not sinned

If what you said is true for the 3d statement, it must also be true for the 1st and the 2nd ones. So what you are saying is that He pardons their sins and remits their punishment before they know Christ and have faith in Him.

No, I've not been saying that, although there's some truth to this, as, to a degree, God treats everybody as if they had never sinned, since, if He didn't, everybody would be dead.

Your assertion is that God calls people righteous, but they are not actually righteous. This is the point I've been disputing.

Would you agree with me that Waggoner did not agree with your suggestion? That he agreed with what I'm saying, which is that when the believer is justified by faith that God makes him righteous?

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103715
10/16/08 07:28 AM
10/16/08 07:28 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
A:While what you say is true, that's not what EGW was talking about. She did not say, "His present inability to keep the law must condemn him to death." Rather, the condemnation of the law is for the debt of past transgressions. Jesus paid the debt for past sins, a debt that no amount of repentance or reformation can repay. "Could my zeal no respite know, could my tears forever flow, all for sin could not atone; Thou must save, and Thou alone."

T:If we ask the question, "What is the problem that must be solved?" I think that can get us to a right understanding of the issue. The problem is that sin separates us from God. In order to be restored to harmony with God, repentance and submission are necessary. Not as an arbitrary requirement on the part of God, but as an actual fact. Repentance is a change of mind, and submission demonstrates that change of mind. As long as one is fighting against God, one cannot be at peace with God.

A:In your model or paradigm, once repentance and submission are accomplished, is that all that's needed? Or is there something else that must be taken care of?

As far as Lucifer's being restored to harmony with God, this looks like all that was necessary.

This is just dealing with the aspect of man's being brought into harmony with God. There's still the aspect of Lucifer's accusations to be considered.

So, to answer your question, there is something else that needs to be taken care of.

I agree. Even after repentance and submission have been obtained, there is still more to do. The quote we've been discussing - He might try to keep God's law in the future; but the debt which he had incurred in the past remained, and the law must condemn him to death. Christ came to pay that debt for the sinner which it was impossible for him to pay for himself. {FW 30.1} - reveals one of the things on the todo list, apart from repentance and submission. The text says that regardless of one's performance in the present or the future, there is still a debt to be paid for past sins, a debt that only Christ can pay.

How does the Christus Victor teach the fact that the debt of past sins must be paid, and that the sinner is unable to pay for it himself?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: asygo] #103722
10/16/08 03:19 PM
10/16/08 03:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The text says that regardless of one's performance in the present or the future, there is still a debt to be paid for past sins, a debt that only Christ can pay.

How does the Christus Victor teach the fact that the debt of past sins must be paid, and that the sinner is unable to pay for it himself?

I'll post something in a moment which discusses a debt being paid by C. S. Lewis. A point to bear in mind is that the concept of a debt being paid is nothing new. That's in the Bible. What's not in the Bible, and is new (or newish; within the last 500 years) is the penal substitution model. We've grown up in a custom where this is the dominant model, so it's just natural to associate everything to that model.

So when we hear the word "debt" we think "that's the price Christ had to pay for our sins so God could forgive us," when we hear "without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin" we think "that's because the penalty for sin had to be paid, so God could forgive us" and so on, even though these concepts did not exist at the time these verses were actually written.

Quote:
We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. That is the formula. That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed. Any theories we build up as to how Christ's death did all this are, in my view, quite secondary: mere plans or diagrams to be left alone if they do not help us, and, even if they do help us, not to be confused with the thing itself. All the same, some of these theories are worth looking at.

The one most people have heard is the one about our being let off because Christ volunteered to bear a punishment instead of us. Now on the face of it that is a very silly theory. If God was prepared to let us off, why on earth did He not do so? And what possible point could there be in punishing an innocent person instead? None at all that I can see, if you are thinking of punishment in the police-court sense. On the other hand, if you think of a debt, there is plenty of point in a person who has some assets paying it on behalf of someone who has not. Or if you take "paying the penalty," not in the sense of being punished, but in the more general sense of "footing the bill," then, of course, it is a matter of common experience that, when one person has got himself into a hole, the trouble of getting him out usually falls on a kind friend.

Now what was the sort of "hole" man had gotten himself into? He had tried to set up on his own, to behave as if he belonged to himself. In other words, fallen man is not simply an imperfect creature who needs improvement: he is a rebel who must lay down his arms. Laying down your arms, surrendering, saying you are sorry, realising that you have been on the wrong track and getting ready to start life over again from the ground floor - that is the only way out of a "hole." This process of surrender - this movement full speed astern - is what Christians call repentance. Now repentance is no fun at all. It is something much harder than merely eating humble pie. It means unlearning all the self-conceit and self-will that we have been training ourselves into for thousands of years. It means undergoing a kind of death. In fact, it needs a good man to repent. And here's the catch. Only a bad person needs to repent: only a good person can repent perfectly. The worse you are the more you need it and the less you can do it. The only person who could do it perfectly would be a perfect person - and he would not need it.

Remember, this repentance, this willing submission to humiliation and a kind of death, is not something God demands of you before He will take you back and which He could let you off of if He chose: it is simply a description of what going back to Him is like. If you ask God to take you back without it, you are really asking Him to let you go back without going back. It cannot happen. Very well, then, we must go through with it. But the same badness which makes us need it, makes us unable to do it. Can we do it if God helps us? Yes, but what do we mean when we talk of God helping us? We mean God putting into us a bit of Himself, so to speak. He lends us a little of His reasoning powers and that is how we think: He puts a little of His love into us and that is how we love one another. When you teach a child writing, you hold its hand while it forms the letters: that is, it forms the letters because you are forming them. We love and reason because God loves and reasons and holds our hand while we do it. Now if we had not fallen, that would all be plain sailing. But unfortunately we now need God's help in order to do something which God, in His own nature, never does at all - to surrender, to suffer, to submit, to die. Nothing in God's nature corresponds to this process at all. So that the one road for which we now need God's leadership most of all is a road God, in His own nature, has never walked. God can share only what He has: this thing, in His own nature, He has not.

But supposing God became a man - suppose our human nature which can suffer and die was amalgamated with God's nature in one person - then that person could help us. He could surrender His will, and suffer and die, because He was man; and He could do it perfectly because He was God. You and I can go through this process only if God does it in us; but God can do it only if He becomes man. Our attempts at this dying will succeed only if we men share in God's dying, just as our thinking can succeed only because it is a drop out of the ocean of His intelligence: but we cannot share God's dying unless God dies; and he cannot die except by being a man. That is the sense in which He pays our debt, and suffers for us what He Himself need not suffer at all. (Mere Christianity)

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103756
10/17/08 05:42 PM
10/17/08 05:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, are you saying it is impossible for humans to reach a point where they no longer sin, that they will always be guilty of sinning in one form or another? Does this include the 144,000?

Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!