HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: asygo] #103326
09/30/08 12:09 AM
09/30/08 12:09 AM
A
Aaron  Offline
TN
Of course Jesus wants us to stop sinning, sinning always ends up hurting us. Not only that but we want to stop sinning. And we should always aim for that mark. But we are so fallen that we cant stop sinning. Thats why Jesus came down to do it for us. And of course thats why He came down not in our fallen nature. If He had our broken nature He would have sinned too. Thank God He was radically different then we are.

"He was a mighty petitoner, possessing not the passions of our human, fallen natures, but compassed with like infirmities, tempted in all points even as we are."
Review and Herald Aug 17, 1886 pg 513

Aaron

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: asygo] #103332
09/30/08 02:03 AM
09/30/08 02:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
If I try to interpret it, Tom will probably say I'm wrong and not understanding what you said. (changed slightly to reflect what I thought you said)

Good thinking.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: asygo] #103335
09/30/08 02:43 AM
09/30/08 02:43 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
by Arnold: So what are your answers to my two questions? You wrote a lot of response, but no answer. If I try to interpret it, you and Tom will probably say I'm wrong and not understanding what you said. Why not just speak clearly and settle it? Yes, no, I don't know, maybe; take your pick.

I did answer both of your questions. A yes or a no would confuse you as to what I believe. Of course Jesus wants us to stop sinning. That is a ridiculous question and shows how you typically misunderstand and misrepresent what I say. And of course Jesus has the power to give us the victory, but I explained that He does it while respecting our freedom and that the problem isn’t with Him, but with us.

Now you answer my question. Have you ever met a man who has stopped sinning?

In your posts you assume that obedience is the most important thing for God’s creatures, but God could have easily made us to obey with no problem. Obedience isn’t the issue in God’s kingdom! It is obedience in love!

In reality freedom is the most important aspect of creature-hood simply because love can only exist in an environment of freedom. So in order for God to change us He has to either change our minds, by convincing us of His love, or extract our brain and replace it with an obedient one. If you think getting us to submit is all God has to do you better think again! God could do that through torture! We can submit all we want, but until we are convinced in our hearts of the truth about God’s love all we are are dry drunks just longing for the next fix of sin, but knowing that is might kill us!

scott

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: scott] #103350
09/30/08 10:38 PM
09/30/08 10:38 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: scott
That is a ridiculous question and shows how you typically misunderstand and misrepresent what I say.

Let's tackle this little tidbit first.

Let me see if I got this right. I misunderstood and misrepresented you by asking you questions? I asked you a question so that you can make yourself understood, yet I misrepresented you? I asked, you answered, but I misrepresented you? Did I force you to type what you did? Pretty soon you might blame me for your typos.

If you would answer clearly, then maybe people won't misunderstand you. And if you were not so judgmental of those who you think disagree with you, perhaps you might not find as much to disagree about.

Quote:
by Arnold: So what are your answers to my two questions? You wrote a lot of response, but no answer. If I try to interpret it, you and Tom will probably say I'm wrong and not understanding what you said. Why not just speak clearly and settle it? Yes, no, I don't know, maybe; take your pick.

I did answer both of your questions. A yes or a no would confuse you as to what I believe. Of course Jesus wants us to stop sinning. ... And of course Jesus has the power to give us the victory

See, that wasn't so hard, was it? Your answers are: yes, yes. Simple, clear, to the point. I don't see why you think that would be confusing.

And I agree with you.

but I explained that He does it while respecting our freedom and that the problem isn’t with Him, but with us.

I agree with you again.

(See how fun it could be to agree with people when they say something you agree with?)

Now you answer my question. Have you ever met a man who has stopped sinning?

I don't think so. But if we really want to be precise, we need to determine what constitutes "sinning" in your question. But that's for another thread.

However, Jesus told me something about that: What is that to you? You follow Me.

In your posts you assume that obedience is the most important thing for God’s creatures, but God could have easily made us to obey with no problem. Obedience isn’t the issue in God’s kingdom! It is obedience in love!

First, I don't think you know me well enough to know what I assume. I know I don't know you well enough, so I ask what you mean, so I don't assume or presume anything about you. You would do well to ask instead of assuming.

Second, my definition of obedience has love at its core. There is no such thing as obedience without love. Without love, the best one can get is compliance, never obedience. It may be that you have a different understanding of obedience. So if you're talking about a kind of obedience that does not include love, that is foreign to my theology. In my view, obedience is always a good thing.

(Side note: This is something I learned while studying the inspired material on child training. So much "discipline" is really just beating kids into submission. There is little "discipling" going on. When one receives Godly disipline, he learns how to be a true disciple - one who loves to be with Jesus and follows Him wherever He goes. It's as true for church members as it is for children. Unfortunately, many still have a hireling's understanding of obedience.)

In reality freedom is the most important aspect of creature-hood simply because love can only exist in an environment of freedom. So in order for God to change us He has to either change our minds, by convincing us of His love, or extract our brain and replace it with an obedient one. If you think getting us to submit is all God has to do you better think again! God could do that through torture! We can submit all we want, but until we are convinced in our hearts of the truth about God’s love all we are are dry drunks just longing for the next fix of sin, but knowing that is might kill us!

This looks similar to what I wrote regarding obedience.

Christian submission, as I understand it from the Bible and SOP, is always voluntary and can be rescinded at any time. It is always done with full knowledge of the situation (count the cost).

The submission that most people have in mind is really just bondage. They see submission as being forced to do that which you do not want to do. It is the kind of submission that many parents beat their kids into.

This is not what God has in mind for His children. We submit to Him because we choose to trust His love and wisdom, knowing that He can do a much better job than we can. We submit to Him as a free moral agent, knowing full well that we are able to disregard His will at any time, and free to suffer the consequences of such foolishness.

(Side note: This is the same kind of submission that Paul said wives should give their husbands. Many women think it is degrading. But Jesus showed by His life of complete submission that it is noble.)

So if what you have in mind is a submission that is forced from unwilling men, you are talking about something my Jesus wants nothing to do with. The submission He wants is one between loving Father and trusting son. In my view, that submission is always a good thing.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: asygo] #103355
10/01/08 02:21 AM
10/01/08 02:21 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
By scott: Now you answer my question. Have you ever met a man who has stopped sinning?

Quote:
By Arnold: I don't think so. But if we really want to be precise, we need to determine what constitutes "sinning" in your question. But that's for another thread.

I haven’t met one either. I’ve asked that question many times and no one has ever given me a “yes” answer. So I haven’t met anyone who has met a man or woman who has stopped sinning.

Conclusion: If we don’t know anyone who is sinless, yet we teach that sinless-ness is necessary and that there is something wrong with a Christian’s experience if he/she hasn’t “arrived” then there is a gap between our theology and our experience. And that gap becomes a source of self doubt that can destroy our walk with God. It becomes easy to fall for the lie that we will never measure up.

There exists among Adventists an identity crisis that is directly related to this gap between our experience and our theology. The fact is that the NT teaches us that anyone who claims to be sinless is a liar. Some say that the real sinless ones won’t say it, but the text makes it clear that we are all sinners saved by God’s grace and each one of us is working with the Holy Spirit at our own pace to heal from the damage of sin. This process takes a life time.

This truth in no way means that there isn’t power available to the sinner to overcome nor does it mean that it is ok to sin. But it is ok to be a sinner saved by grace. In fact all heaven rejoices when a sinner repents. I am convinced that those who dwell on sinless-ness have no idea of the depth of sin. It is like a toddler claiming that he understands physics because he knows that when he drops a ball it hits the ground.

scott

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: scott] #103376
10/03/08 07:41 PM
10/03/08 07:41 PM
I Am His  Offline
United States
 Quote:
By scott: Now you answer my question. Have you ever met a man who has stopped sinning?

Quote:
By Arnold: I don't think so. But if we really want to be precise, we need to determine what constitutes "sinning" in your question. But that's for another thread.

I haven’t met one either. I’ve asked that question many times and no one has ever given me a “yes” answer. So I haven’t met anyone who has met a man or woman who has stopped sinning.

Conclusion: If we don’t know anyone who is sinless, yet we teach that sinless-ness is necessary and that there is something wrong with a Christian’s experience if he/she hasn’t “arrived” then there is a gap between our theology and our experience. And that gap becomes a source of self doubt that can destroy our walk with God. It becomes easy to fall for the lie that we will never measure up.

There exists among Adventists an identity crisis that is directly related to this gap between our experience and our theology. The fact is that the NT teaches us that anyone who claims to be sinless is a liar. Some say that the real sinless ones won’t say it, but the text makes it clear that we are all sinners saved by God’s grace and each one of us is working with the Holy Spirit at our own pace to heal from the damage of sin. This process takes a life time.

This truth in no way means that there isn’t power available to the sinner to overcome nor does it mean that it is ok to sin. But it is ok to be a sinner saved by grace. In fact all heaven rejoices when a sinner repents. I am convinced that those who dwell on sinless-ness have no idea of the depth of sin. It is like a toddler claiming that he understands physics because he knows that when he drops a ball it hits the ground.

scott

Excellent post Scott. Thank you.

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: scott] #103480
10/08/08 06:31 PM
10/08/08 06:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: MM
The obedience that Christ rendered, God requires from human beings today. (COL 282)

Those only who through faith in Christ obey all of God’s commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. They testify to their love of Christ by obeying all His precepts. (6BC 1118)

“If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land: but if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword." These words are true. Exact obedience is required, and those who say that it is not possible to live a perfect life throw upon God the imputation of injustice and untruth. (1MR 369)

The tempter's agency is not to be accounted an excuse for one wrong act. Satan is jubilant when he hears the professed followers of Christ making excuses for their deformity of character. It is these excuses that lead to sin. There is no excuse for sinning. A holy temper, a Christlike life, is accessible to every repenting, believing child of God. {DA 311}

Let no one say, I cannot remedy my defects of character. If you come to this decision, you will certainly fail of obtaining everlasting life. The impossibility lies in your own will. If you will not, then you can not overcome. The real difficulty arises from the corruption of an unsanctified heart, and an unwillingness to submit to the control of God. {COL 331.2}

The commandments of God are exceeding broad, and the Lord is not pleased to have His children disorderly, to have their lives marred by defects and their religious experience crippled, their growth in grace dwarfed, because they persist in cherishing hereditary and cultivated deficiencies in wrong habits that will be imitated by others and thus be perpetuated. If the grace of Christ cannot remedy these defects, what then constitutes transformation of character? {TMK 157.4}

Hey MM, if Jesus was telling the truth when he said that we would be judged by the same criteria we set for others then you might want to lighten up a little! You could be in real trouble!

Thanx for the warning, Scott. But did I post something above that you disagree with?

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: Aaron] #103481
10/08/08 06:34 PM
10/08/08 06:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Aaron
Of course Jesus wants us to stop sinning, sinning always ends up hurting us. Not only that but we want to stop sinning. And we should always aim for that mark. But we are so fallen that we cant stop sinning. Thats why Jesus came down to do it for us. And of course thats why He came down not in our fallen nature. If He had our broken nature He would have sinned too. Thank God He was radically different then we are.

"He was a mighty petitoner, possessing not the passions of our human, fallen natures, but compassed with like infirmities, tempted in all points even as we are."
Review and Herald Aug 17, 1886 pg 513

Aaron

"But we are so fallen that we cant stop sinning. Thats why Jesus came down to do it for us." Aaron, how do you reconcile what you wrote with what Ellen wrote in the quotes I posted in the post above this one?

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: scott] #103482
10/08/08 07:19 PM
10/08/08 07:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Of course Christ has the power to give us a frontal lobotomy and kill the natural man, but He chooses to take sin away one step at a time as we give it up. God is patient! God isn't the problem, we are! He transforms us through a natural process that we are involved in through our free will. Until the day God completes His work in us He doesn't hold our sins against us and considers us perfect in His love.

Scott, when do you think this “work” is completed in sinners – before or after they are taken to heaven?

S: Now you answer my question. Have you ever met a man who has stopped sinning?

A: I don't think so. But if we really want to be precise, we need to determine what constitutes "sinning" in your question. But that's for another thread.

S: I haven’t met one either. I’ve asked that question many times and no one has ever given me a “yes” answer. So I haven’t met anyone who has met a man or woman who has stopped sinning.

The religious leaders accused Jesus of being demon possessed. Perhaps humans are not the best ones to assess who has stopped sinning. Yes, Jesus said, “By their fruits ye shall know them”, but it doesn’t mean every human makes the right and best and correct assessment.

Conclusion: If we don’t know anyone who is sinless, yet we teach that sinless-ness is necessary and that there is something wrong with a Christian’s experience if he/she hasn’t “arrived” then there is a gap between our theology and our experience. And that gap becomes a source of self doubt that can destroy our walk with God.

The truth is true whether humans experience it or not. Human failure is not the standard by which we judge the truthfulness of the promises of perfection and sinlessness. Jesus is the standard by which we judge the truth. The fact He never sinned is evidence the promises are true and attainable.

It becomes easy to fall for the lie that we will never measure up.

Isn’t that what you have been advocating? That is, haven’t you been arguing that it is not possible to “measure up” in this lifetime, that we will not stop sinning until we are in heaven?

I assume you are referring to the following passage:

1 John
1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

This passage does not say sinners cannot learn to stop sinning. Nor does it say anyone who stops sinning is a liar. Instead, what it means is “all have sinned” and anyone who says they “have not sinned” is a liar. It’s specifically addressing past sins. Contrary to what you implied, it says, “If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth.” In other words, anyone who walks in darkness and says they have a relationship with Jesus is lying and is not practicing the truth. This implies practicing the truth means not sinning, not walking in darkness. It also implies maturing in the fruits of the Spirit on a daily basis.

Jesus said He came to save sinners “from their sins”, whereas I get the impression you are saying Jesus came to sinners in their sins. In arguing against Ellen’s statements about being perfect now and forever, about not sinning, you seem to be saying sin is so systemic, so pervasive, that it cannot be overcome in this lifetime. Have I misunderstood you? Tom, if you’re reading this, please let Scott answer this question for himself. Thank you.

Also, the following passages make it clear to me that God empowers people to live without sinning now – not only at the end of a lifetime of sinning less and less often.

1 John
3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1 John
5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

1 Peter
4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of [his] time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

2 Peter
2:9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

Philippians
1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ:
2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of [his] good pleasure.

Galatians
5:16 [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: Mountain Man] #103582
10/13/08 02:25 PM
10/13/08 02:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Aaron and Scott, please address the above posts. Thank you.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!