HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: asygo] #104048
10/27/08 01:59 AM
10/27/08 01:59 AM
A
Aaron  Offline
TN
MM are you saying that your saved as long as your not currently committing an act of sin and life is a process of saved.. not saved.. saved.. not saved?
In this view I guess we just hope that we are in a saved state at the exact close of probation?

Aaron

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: asygo] #104049
10/27/08 03:05 AM
10/27/08 03:05 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
But you seem to have difficulty grasping the possibility that God can make you forget something.

Why would God do this? (Regarding the quote MM cited, it seems clear to me it's essentially the same as the GC quote. SG was a forerunner to the GC; same visions, but rewritten/edited)

Quote:
How about the disciples? They didn't recognize Jesus, even after the years of labor together.

You think they couldn't recognize Jesus because God made them forget Him?!

Quote:
T:The Bible says that God will remember our sins no more. Do you think this means He can't remember what we did?

A:No. It means He will not take it into account when dealing with sinners.

You're doing "serious violence to the text."

Why doesn't it mean the same thing it means when Ellen White says it? But you seem to have difficulty grasping the possibility that God can make Himself forget something. smile

But seriously, why do you think God would make us forget something? What good would it do? You seem to have difficulty grasping that God respects free will, and that manipulating someone's memories is verboten.

Back to Waggoner's explanation. It is clearly in reference to what Ellen White wrote. And it makes sense. Ellen White counsels us to use common sense in interpreting Scripture and what she wrote. If an interpretation of Scripture or the SOP leads to an idea which violates common sense, it should be seriously questioned. Here's an example of the idea:

Quote:
1And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. 2He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.(Rev. 20)

There are those who think this is literal. That is, Satan is literally bound with a chain in a bottomless pit which is locked and sealed. If you suggested this meant that he is bound to the earth, you would be accused of doing "serious violence to the tenxt" and "have difficulty grasping that God could chain someone."

Here's another example:

Quote:
When they went across the lake, the disciples forgot to take bread. "Be careful," Jesus said to them. "Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees."They discussed this among themselves and said, "It is because we didn't bring any bread." (Matth. 16:5-7)

Taking things as literal which shouldn't be leads to wrong conclusions.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: Tom] #104059
10/28/08 12:50 AM
10/28/08 12:50 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Just a quickie....

Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
But you seem to have difficulty grasping the possibility that God can make you forget something.

Why would God do this?

I can't say definitively, but I have my ideas. Have you ever remembered one of your more dastardly sins, and shrunk in shame for what you did and what you were? I have. It's nice to forget sometimes.

But in any case, why God would do it is not something we need to answer in order for it to happen. God does not limit Himself based on our understanding or lack thereof.

(Regarding the quote MM cited, it seems clear to me it's essentially the same as the GC quote. SG was a forerunner to the GC; same visions, but rewritten/edited)

I know that. But I believe that SG was also inspired and correct in its assertions.

========
There is a new thread to address the issue of how obedience and understanding relate. Click here: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command?

We'll continue the discussion there. Now, back
========

Last edited by asygo; 11/17/08 10:51 PM. Reason: notification of new thread

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: asygo] #104061
10/28/08 12:59 AM
10/28/08 12:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
But in any case, why God would do it is not something we need to answer in order for it to happen. God does not limit Himself based on our understanding or lack thereof.

God doesn't want the obedience of automatons:

Quote:
God does not force the will or judgment of any. He takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience. He desires that the creatures of His hands shall love Him because He is worthy of love. He would have them obey Him because they have an intelligent appreciation of His wisdom, justice, and benevolence. And all who have a just conception of these qualities will love Him because they are drawn toward Him in admiration of His attributes. (GC 541)

In order to have an intelligent, appreciation of His wisdom, justice and benevolence, we need to understand His ways. The idea that God would zap our memories is contrary to common sense, and, more importantly, in contrary to His character and the principles of His government.

Quote:
I know that. But I believe that SG was also inspired and correct in its assertions.

I'm not questioning the assertions of SG or GC, but your interpretation of these. I believe Waggoner's interpretation makes a lot more sense, and is in harmony with God's character.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: Tom] #104065
10/28/08 08:32 PM
10/28/08 08:32 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

God doesn't want the obedience of automatons:

Quote:
God does not force the will or judgment of any. He takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience. He desires that the creatures of His hands shall love Him because He is worthy of love. He would have them obey Him because they have an intelligent appreciation of His wisdom, justice, and benevolence. And all who have a just conception of these qualities will love Him because they are drawn toward Him in admiration of His attributes. (GC 541)

In order to have an intelligent, appreciation of His wisdom, justice and benevolence, we need to understand His ways. The idea that God would zap our memories is contrary to common sense, and, more importantly, in contrary to His character and the principles of His government.

God does want us to have an intelligent appreciation of His character. However, He will not let our unintelligence hinder His work. God will fulfill His purposes, even if Arnold and Tom are too dumb to understand them. There will be time enough during eternity to fill in the gaps.

Quote:
Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! (Romans 11:33)

Quote:

I'm not questioning the assertions of SG or GC, but your interpretation of these. I believe Waggoner's interpretation makes a lot more sense, and is in harmony with God's character.

EGW said people won't remember particular sins. Waggoner said people will.

It's not even a matter of interpretation of some obscure text. It's in plain language.

The problem is that the plain meaning of the text goes against what you believe is truth, and what you believe is God's character. In short, you can't accept the plain meaning because it does not match your current theology. Right?

It is possible that your current theology is not completely correct. You might not know God's character as fully as you think. And if you filter and adjust everything you hear to match what you believe, you will never detect any of your errors. Just something to consider.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: Tom] #104066
10/28/08 08:35 PM
10/28/08 08:35 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Perhaps we will have a general notion about what we did, but won't remember the details. I agree with Arnold that it's bad to remember the details about our sins, but I also think I must not forget what God has saved me from.

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: Rosangela] #104068
10/29/08 01:21 AM
10/29/08 01:21 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Perhaps we will have a general notion about what we did...

That's why she says, "they have a deep sense of their unworthiness."

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: asygo] #104073
10/29/08 03:06 PM
10/29/08 03:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, I had a longer response prepared, buy my home computer died before I could sent it frown So I'll try again.

The context of her remarks should be taken into consideration. She compares the experience of the 144,000 with that of Jacob. Here are some comments regarding Jacob's situation:

Quote:
"I indeed baptize you in water unto repentance," said John; "but He that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire." Matt. 3:11, R. V., margin. The prophet Isaiah had declared that the Lord would cleanse His people from their iniquities "by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning." The word of the Lord to Israel was, "I will turn My hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin." Isa. 4:4; 1:25. To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. Jacob, after his night of wrestling with the Angel, exclaimed, "I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." Gen. 32: 30.

Jacob had been guilty of a great sin in his conduct toward Esau; but he had repented. His transgression had been forgiven, and his sin purged; therefore he could endure the revelation of God's presence. But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed. At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 107,108)

How was Jacob able to see God face to face and live? Because he was pure in heart. He had no "concealed wrongs," but had confessed his sin. He couldn't bring any sins to remembrance, or else he couldn't have abided God's presence. This is the principle Ellen White is dealing with in regards to the 144,000. A zapping of Jacob's memory wouldn't have helped him any, in terms of being able to see God, and it wouldn't help the 144,000 be able to stand before a holy God without a mediator.

Quote:
EGW said people won't remember particular sins. Waggoner said people will.

I think Waggoner understood EGW's intent.

Quote:
It's not even a matter of interpretation of some obscure text. It's in plain language.

If one reads things without taking into account the context of the writing or the intent of the author, I think this leads to problems of the sort I alluded to earlier, such as those who think Satan will be literally bound by a chain.

Quote:
The problem is that the plain meaning of the text goes against what you believe is truth, and what you believe is God's character. In short, you can't accept the plain meaning because it does not match your current theology. Right?

This is a simplistic analysis. First of all, I don't agree with you as to the plain meaning of the text. I agree with what Waggoner said. Just out of curiosity, would you ask the same questions of him? Isn't it possible that he interpreted her meaning correctly? That it wasn't just a matter of his not being able to accept what she wrote because it didn't agree with his theology?

Secondly, the interpretation you are suggesting doesn't taken into account the context.

Thirdly, it doesn't make sense. It's not just a matter of it's making sense in relation to God's character, but even apart from that it doesn't make sense. A selective zapping of the memory so that just certain things are forgotten, those certain things being precisely all of the sins that we've ever committed? Memory doesn't work that way.

Fourth, it doesn't agree with God's character.

Regarding the latter, it was because of my interpreting things in the light of God's character that I became an SDA. Especially in regards to the state of the dead, and God's not punishing people for all eternity.

Quote:
It is possible that your current theology is not completely correct. You might not know God's character as fully as you think. And if you filter and adjust everything you hear to match what you believe, you will never detect any of your errors. Just something to consider.

I have no doubt whatsoever that my currently theology is not completely correct. I've never claimed it is. I've argued against ideas I think are plainly wrong, and defended ideas I've had I think are correct, but my views have been constantly evolving, and don't expect them ever to stop. There are always wonderful things to learn about God's character.

Regarding filtering things out which I don't agree with, I used to have a point of view similar to what I've heard from you, so if I were doing as you are suggesting, I'd be agreeing with you instead of disagreeing! However, I'm sure we're all guilty of what you are suggesting to differing degrees. It's inevitable that we will interpret new ideas according to the paradigm we already have. I believe the truth is always challenging our paradigms, and if we are responding to truth, our paradigms will be constantly growing, becoming more and more like Christ's.

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: Tom] #104074
10/29/08 04:29 PM
10/29/08 04:29 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
1) Yes, we all have our biases. The difference is in how attached we are to our biases, and how willing we are to acknowledge error.

2) Yes, I would ask Waggoner the same questions. The same questions come to mind whenever I run across someone whose understanding of context goes against the plain meaning of the text. This is different from cases when context leads to an uncommon understanding of the text.

More later....

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Will we continue to sin till we die.? [Re: asygo] #104076
10/29/08 06:41 PM
10/29/08 06:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
1) Yes, we all have our biases. The difference is in how attached we are to our biases, and how willing we are to acknowledge error.

Since I started from more or less where you are, and ended up somewhere else, I would seem to be at least as willing to acknowledge error as you are. Of course, I could have some other problem, like accepting positions which are in error, instead of holding on to truth (assuming your position were correct, and I shouldn't have moved), but what you were suggesting as a possible problem (my perhaps being intransigent) doesn't appear to be the problem.

Quote:
2) Yes, I would ask Waggoner the same questions. The same questions come to mind whenever I run across someone whose understanding of context goes against the plain meaning of the text.

I think you're way of expressing yourself may be signifying a possible problem. That is, you write, "whenever I run across someone whose understanding of context goes against the plain meaning of the text" instead of the more circumspect "whenever I run across someone whose understanding of context goes against my understanding of the text." You seem to have a very high opinion of your ability to determine that "plain meaning of the text." I think a humbler perspective of your abilities in this regard would be in order.

Quote:
This is different from cases when context leads to an uncommon understanding of the text.

Context and common sense are always important, IMO.

Quote:
More later....

OK.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!