HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 30 of 71 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #103827
10/20/08 01:51 PM
10/20/08 01:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The glory of God revealed in Jesus does not initially cause the resurrected to suffer and die. How do you explain this?

It sounds like you think God's character is a conscious, cognizant disembodied being.

The difference in the effect of the three sources of fire Ellen speaks of in relation to the punishment and destruction of the wicked in the lake of fire and the quote you posted above is night and day. Compare with the following quote:

Satan rushes into the midst, and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and the mighty men, and the noble, and poor and miserable men, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering was there. Said the angel, The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon. {1SG 217.1}

But Satan and his angels suffered long. Satan not only bore the weight and punishment of his sins, but the sins of all the redeemed host had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of the souls which he had caused. Then I saw that Satan, and all the wicked host, were consumed, and the justice of God was satisfied; and all the angelic host, and all the redeemed saints, with a loud voice said, Amen! {1SG 218.1}

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #103835
10/20/08 02:50 PM
10/20/08 02:50 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The glory of God revealed in Jesus does not initially cause the resurrected to suffer and die. How do you explain this?

Because it hasn't been revealed yet.

Quote:
It sounds like you think God's character is a conscious, cognizant disembodied being.

It sounds like you think law and justice are sentient beings, by the way you use these terms, but I'm not aware of using such language myself in regards to God's character. Perhaps you could quote something.

Quote:
The difference in the effect of the three sources of fire Ellen speaks of in relation to the punishment and destruction of the wicked in the lake of fire and the quote you posted above is night and day.

I agree that superficially they are quite different. However, if she is not contradicting herself, there must be a way of reconciling these statements. I don't see that you have made any attempt to do so. I still have no idea what you think DA 764 means, or GC 543.

DA 108 speaks of how the light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, destroys the wicked. The same thing that gives life to the one slays the other. This can't be fire. You have some theory about photosynthesis which seems like a desperate stretch. The very next sentence speaks of Jesus Christ as the "revealer of the character of God." Do you think this is just coincidence? I just lucked out, and she happened by chance to say exactly the same thing I've been saying? ("light"="revelation", "glory"="character")

She says the glory of Him who is love will destroy them, after explaining half a dozen times that the destruction of the wicked is NOT due God's doing something to them arbitrarily, but rather a result of their own choice. If what you are suggesting were true, this would be exactly wrong. Their death WOULD be true to something God is doing them (killing them with fire; capital punishment as you call it) and NOT due to their own decision. Also it would be odd in the extreme to characterize this as being destroyed by the glory of Him who is love.

The GC quote says the exclusion of the wicked is voluntary with themselves. This means it is something they choose. I haven't seen anything at all in your presentation of your view which accounts for this.

Finally you've agreed that GC 536 agrees with your view, except for the duration:

Quote:
What would be gained to God should we admit that He delights in witnessing unceasing tortures; that He is regaled with the groans and shrieks and imprecations of the suffering creatures whom He holds in the flames of hell? Can these horrid sounds be music in the ear of Infinite Love? It is urged that the infliction of endless misery upon the wicked would show God's hatred of sin as an evil which is ruinous to the peace and order of the universe. Oh, dreadful blasphemy! As if God's hatred of sin is the reason why it is perpetuated. For, according to the teachings of these theologians, continued torture without hope of mercy maddens its wretched victims, and as they pour out their rage in curses and blasphemy, they are forever augmenting their load of guilt. God's glory is not enhanced by thus perpetuating continually increasing sin through ceaseless ages.

However, if one looks at the surrounding paragraphs, it is clear that the duration of the wicked's suffering is not the only problem with this view.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #103862
10/21/08 04:05 PM
10/21/08 04:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
M: The glory of God revealed in Jesus does not initially cause the resurrected to suffer and die. How do you explain this?

T: Because it hasn't been revealed yet.

Have you no idea which quote I’m referring to? It’s GC 662-674. Listen:

Quote:
Every eye in that vast multitude is turned to behold the glory of the Son of God. With one voice the wicked hosts exclaim: "Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord!" {GC 662.2}

Now Christ again appears to the view of His enemies. Far above the city, upon a foundation of burnished gold, is a throne, high and lifted up. Upon this throne sits the Son of God, and around Him are the subjects of His kingdom. The power and majesty of Christ no language can describe, no pen portray. The glory of the Eternal Father is enshrouding His Son. The brightness of His presence fills the City of God, and flows out beyond the gates, flooding the whole earth with its radiance. {GC 665.1}

As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed. They see just where their feet diverged from the path of purity and holiness, just how far pride and rebellion have carried them in the violation of the law of God. The seductive temptations which they encouraged by indulgence in sin, the blessings perverted, the messengers of God despised, the warnings rejected, the waves of mercy beaten back by the stubborn, unrepentant heart--all appear as if written in letters of fire. {GC 666.2}

Notwithstanding that Satan has been constrained to acknowledge God's justice and to bow to the supremacy of Christ, his character remains unchanged. The spirit of rebellion, like a mighty torrent, again bursts forth. Filled with frenzy, he determines not to yield the great controversy. The time has come for a last desperate struggle against the King of heaven. He rushes into the midst of his subjects and endeavors to inspire them with his own fury and arouse them to instant battle. But of all the countless millions whom he has allured into rebellion, there are none now to acknowledge his supremacy. His power is at an end. The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah. Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them. {GC 671.2}

Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire. It is the time of the judgment and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31. They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1. Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit. His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

This passage (above) makes it abundantly clear that the wicked are not consumed or destroyed by the radiant glory of God as revealed in Jesus.

Quote:
M: It sounds like you think God's character is a conscious, cognizant disembodied being.

T: It sounds like you think law and justice are sentient beings, by the way you use these terms, but I'm not aware of using such language myself in regards to God's character. Perhaps you could quote something.

You believe it is God’s character, not God, that causes the wicked to suffer and die in the lake of fire. You also believe it is sin, not God, that causes the wicked to suffer and die in the lake of fire. There are dozens of places where the SOP uses expressions like "the law requires" and "justice demands". But where does she say "God's character is what causes the wicked to suffer"?

Quote:
M: The difference in the effect of the three sources of fire Ellen speaks of in relation to the punishment and destruction of the wicked in the lake of fire and the quote you posted above is night and day.

T: I agree that superficially they are quite different. However, if she is not contradicting herself, there must be a way of reconciling these statements. I don't see that you have made any attempt to do so. I still have no idea what you think DA 764 means, or GC 543.

DA 108 speaks of how the light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, destroys the wicked. The same thing that gives life to the one slays the other. This can't be fire. You have some theory about photosynthesis which seems like a desperate stretch. The very next sentence speaks of Jesus Christ as the "revealer of the character of God." Do you think this is just coincidence? I just lucked out, and she happened by chance to say exactly the same thing I've been saying? ("light"="revelation", "glory"="character")

She says the glory of Him who is love will destroy them, after explaining half a dozen times that the destruction of the wicked is NOT due God's doing something to them arbitrarily, but rather a result of their own choice. If what you are suggesting were true, this would be exactly wrong. Their death WOULD be true to something God is doing them (killing them with fire; capital punishment as you call it) and NOT due to their own decision. Also it would be odd in the extreme to characterize this as being destroyed by the glory of Him who is love.

The GC quote says the exclusion of the wicked is voluntary with themselves. This means it is something they choose. I haven't seen anything at all in your presentation of your view which accounts for this.

The light of God’s radiant glory is light. Like sunlight, the light of God’s radiant glory can give life or take life. Sinful flesh cannot abide in the light of God’s radiant glory, whereas, sinless flesh can. God veils the radiant light of His glory so as not to cause sinners to die. When the wicked turn their rage upon Satan, as described in GC 671.2 (quoted above), God rains down fire from above and raises up fire from below, and together with the fire light of God’s radiant glory, the wicked suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness, then they finally die.

Quote:
Finally you've agreed that GC 536 agrees with your view, except for the duration:

Quote:
What would be gained to God should we admit that He delights in witnessing unceasing tortures; that He is regaled with the groans and shrieks and imprecations of the suffering creatures whom He holds in the flames of hell? Can these horrid sounds be music in the ear of Infinite Love? It is urged that the infliction of endless misery upon the wicked would show God's hatred of sin as an evil which is ruinous to the peace and order of the universe. Oh, dreadful blasphemy! As if God's hatred of sin is the reason why it is perpetuated. For, according to the teachings of these theologians, continued torture without hope of mercy maddens its wretched victims, and as they pour out their rage in curses and blasphemy, they are forever augmenting their load of guilt. God's glory is not enhanced by thus perpetuating continually increasing sin through ceaseless ages.

However, if one looks at the surrounding paragraphs, it is clear that the duration of the wicked's suffering is not the only problem with this view.

There are more dissimilarities in her explanation of Catholic hellfire and her description of the lake of fire than there are similarities. You’re desire and attempt to discredit my view of the lake of fire is admirable, but you are far from the truth, brother. Rather than trying so hard to make it look like my view resembles Catholic hellfire, please stick with what I am saying about it. Thank you.

EW 294, 295
Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Satan and his angels suffered long. Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused. Then I saw that Satan and all the wicked host were consumed, and the justice of God was satisfied; and all the angelic host, and all the redeemed saints, with a loud voice said, "Amen!" {EW 294.2}

Said the angel, "Satan is the root, his children are the branches. They are now consumed root and branch. They have died an everlasting death. They are never to have a resurrection, and God will have a clean universe." I then looked and saw the fire which had consumed the wicked, burning up the rubbish and purifying the earth. Again I looked and saw the earth purified. There was not a single sign of the curse. {EW 295.1}

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #103867
10/21/08 04:44 PM
10/21/08 04:44 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, you're not taking into account DA 764, DA 107-108, or GC 543. We're just going around in circles here.

Here's what I believe:
a.The prophets saw things in vision (e.g. John in Revelation, Ellen White in Early Writings, etc.)
b.They wrote those things down
c.These visions are not purely literal

There are some things which are literal, and some not. Much of what is written is not literal. It's not always easy to figure out what's what. In regards to the destruction of the wicked, if you talk to 100 people, you'll probably get close to 100 different ideas as to precisely what is going to happen. I've heard many different theories. Yours is the most harsh I've ever heard. I don't know of anyone who see things exactly as I do, in every detail.

The principles I'm following is to take the different sources, try to piece them together, and get a theory that makes sense with all the data. I believe my theory comes close to doing that. There are still a couple of things I'm not sure about it, but I like the fact that it fits in perfectly with DA 107-108, GC 543 and DA 764. Since these are the passages which explain most clearly what's going on (they are not symbolic descriptions of events seen in vision) I use these as a base and try to fit in the symbolic visions to that. I also consider what I know of God's character as revealed in Scripture, especially by Jesus Christ, and take that into consideration to come up with a viable theory.

I don't see your approach as doing any of this. You seem to ignore everything except these passages you quote, passages which are a combination of literal and symbolic which, IMO, you take much too literally. For example, the idea that God will supernaturally keep people alive so that He can burn them by literal fire I found abhorrent, and having nothing whatsoever to do with the character of God revealed by Jesus Christ. I see it as being identical to the description in GC 536, exception for duration, a point which you have agreed with me on. I see this as very problematic, because the passage in GC 536 and surrounding is not dealing solely with duration. It deals with the issues of cruelty and compassion, which I don't see you taking into consideration.

I'll see if I can present some thoughts from someone else, just to get another perspective involved.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #103887
10/21/08 09:24 PM
10/21/08 09:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I'm not sure how God will cause sinners to suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness. The Bible and SOP simply say it will happen. Taking into account DA 764, DA 107-108, GC 543, and GC chapter 42 the SOP describes 3 sources of fire involved in the execution of judgment - 1) fire rained down from above, 2) fire raised up from below, and 3) the fire light of God's radiant glory. None of these sources of fire are symbolic.

The fact the resurrected sinners are not initially consumed by the radiant glory of Christ is evidence He is veiling it. See Gc chapter 42.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #103888
10/21/08 09:27 PM
10/21/08 09:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - Ellen is interpreting prophecy in GC chapter 42. She's not employing symbolism to explain symbolic prophecy. Her description is literal.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #103889
10/21/08 09:32 PM
10/21/08 09:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Ellen is clearly interpreting things literally in the following passages:

Every eye in that vast multitude is turned to behold the glory of the Son of God. With one voice the wicked hosts exclaim: "Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord!" {GC 662.2}

Now Christ again appears to the view of His enemies. Far above the city, upon a foundation of burnished gold, is a throne, high and lifted up. Upon this throne sits the Son of God, and around Him are the subjects of His kingdom. The power and majesty of Christ no language can describe, no pen portray. The glory of the Eternal Father is enshrouding His Son. The brightness of His presence fills the City of God, and flows out beyond the gates, flooding the whole earth with its radiance. {GC 665.1}

As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed. They see just where their feet diverged from the path of purity and holiness, just how far pride and rebellion have carried them in the violation of the law of God. The seductive temptations which they encouraged by indulgence in sin, the blessings perverted, the messengers of God despised, the warnings rejected, the waves of mercy beaten back by the stubborn, unrepentant heart--all appear as if written in letters of fire. {GC 666.2}

Notwithstanding that Satan has been constrained to acknowledge God's justice and to bow to the supremacy of Christ, his character remains unchanged. The spirit of rebellion, like a mighty torrent, again bursts forth. Filled with frenzy, he determines not to yield the great controversy. The time has come for a last desperate struggle against the King of heaven. He rushes into the midst of his subjects and endeavors to inspire them with his own fury and arouse them to instant battle. But of all the countless millions whom he has allured into rebellion, there are none now to acknowledge his supremacy. His power is at an end. The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah. Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them. {GC 671.2}

Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire. It is the time of the judgment and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31. They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1. Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit. His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #103900
10/22/08 03:49 AM
10/22/08 03:49 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I'm not sure how God will cause sinners to suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness.

The suffering that happens isn't something arbitrary that God does to sinners. They suffer in proportion to their sin, because sin brings suffering! The more sin, the more suffering. The suffering, just like condemnation, comes with the sin.

Quote:
The Bible and SOP simply say it will happen. Taking into account DA 764, DA 107-108, GC 543, and GC chapter 42 the SOP describes 3 sources of fire involved in the execution of judgment - 1) fire rained down from above, 2) fire raised up from below, and 3) the fire light of God's radiant glory. None of these sources of fire are symbolic.

This isn't dealing with the issues I raised. DA 108 speaks of the same thing which gives life to the righteous being what slays the wicked. The "light of the glory of God" is Jesus Christ, the "revealer of God's character." That my interpretation is correct can be seen by the fact that she identifies Christ as "the revealer of God's character," immediately after speaking of "the light of the glory of God" which "gives life to the righteous" (it is Jesus Christ who does this!).

Quote:
The fact the resurrected sinners are not initially consumed by the radiant glory of Christ is evidence He is veiling it.

I don't disagree with this at all. Where I differ with you is regarding of what the glory of God consists of.

Actually the whole difference I see in our view of things in regards to the judgment is that you see it in physical rather than spiritual terms.

GC 543 brings out the exclusion of the wicked from heaven is voluntary with themselves. It's not dealing with fire at all.

DA 764 brings out how the destruction of the wicked is due to their own choice, so is similar to GC 543 in this regard. It also brings out that it is the "result of sin," something they are "left to reap." Surely if I killed you by igniting you with a flamethrower, this could not be described in the terms of the passages in GC 543, DA 108 and DA 764.

There is also the problem of GC 536.

Quote:

The surrounding paragraphs should be considered as well. The issue here is deeper than simply one of duration. She characterizes the burning of the wicked with fire as "torture." If this burning is a matter of days our hours, rather than ceaseless, it would nonetheless still be "torture."

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #103916
10/22/08 06:29 PM
10/22/08 06:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The suffering that happens isn't something arbitrary that God does to sinners. They suffer in proportion to their sin, because sin brings suffering! The more sin, the more suffering. The suffering, just like condemnation, comes with the sin.

The wages of sin is instant death - not a lifetime of suffering. The reasons sinners live on to suffer the consequences of sinning is because God implemented the plan of salvation. Otherwise, they would have been immediately blotted out of existence.

The thing that is not arbitrary about God punishing and destroying sinners in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness is the fact He didn't just wake up one day and decide to kill a bunch of sinners. God doesn't make up the rules on the fly. He is regulated by law and justice what He must do and what He must not do, namely, He must punish and destroy impenitent sinners according to their sinfulness and He must not pardon and save penitent sinners irrespective of their past sins. In other words, Jesus must pay their sin debt of death for death must come in consequence of their sins.

M: The fact the resurrected sinners are not initially consumed by the radiant glory of Christ is evidence He is veiling it.

T: I don't disagree with this at all.

I had no idea you agree with me on this point. Surprise, surprise.

Where I differ with you is regarding of what the glory of God consists of. Actually the whole difference I see in our view of things in regards to the judgment is that you see it in physical rather than spiritual terms.

You will be happy to learn you are wrong about me. I believe several things are involved in the execution of justice upon sinners in the lake of fire - physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. God wired humans in such a way it is impossible for them to face judgment without having to wrestle with all of these aspects of their makeup and constitution.

Regarding the nature of the light of God's radiant glory, you're right, we do not agree. I believe it is similar to sunlight in that it gives and takes life depending on the nature of the material substance it interacts with, namely, it gives life to those who possess sinless flesh and it takes life from those who possess sinful flesh.

GC 543 brings out the exclusion of the wicked from heaven is voluntary with themselves. It's not dealing with fire at all.

Nor does it deal with death.

DA 764 brings out how the destruction of the wicked is due to their own choice, so is similar to GC 543 in this regard. It also brings out that it is the "result of sin," something they are "left to reap." Surely if I killed you by igniting you with a flamethrower, this could not be described in the terms of the passages in GC 543, DA 108 and DA 764.

When a murderer is sentenced to death by lethal injection it is the result of breaking the law. He is left to reap the results of his choosing. So it is with divine justice. There is nothing arbitrary about God executing sinners. The penalty for sinning is death by fire. That's the law.

The issue here is deeper than simply one of duration. She characterizes the burning of the wicked with fire as "torture." If this burning is a matter of days our hours, rather than ceaseless, it would nonetheless still be "torture."

Even you agree it is the consuming fire of God's radiant glory that causes sinners to suffer and die. Whether His consuming fire is literal or symbolic doesn't really matter so far as the rightness of sinners suffering in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness. Some people whine and complain that God is cruel and tyrannical for resurrecting sinners instead of leaving well enough alone. Others accuse God of torturing sinners instead of simply withdrawing the breath of life and allowing them to die immediately.

Your view of God resurrecting sinners for the purpose of exposing them to His unveiled glory so that they can suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness is considered by many people to be hideous and misrepresentative of God's glorious character. How do you defend your view of God and justice and judgment in light of these accusations? What is to be gain by resurrecting sinners? Why not leave them dead?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #103937
10/23/08 03:37 AM
10/23/08 03:37 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
God is not regulated by the law as to what He must and must not do. Putting the law above God is idolatry.

Quote:
Regarding the nature of the light of God's radiant glory, you're right, we do not agree. I believe it is similar to sunlight in that it gives and takes life depending on the nature of the material substance it interacts with, namely, it gives life to those who possess sinless flesh and it takes life from those who possess sinful flesh.

This is what I meant by saying you see things in physical terms as opposed to spiritual. I don't see how anyone can read this:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God.(DA 108)

and conclude this is dealing with physical light. First of all, the idea that physical light gives light to the righteous is odd. Secondly, it says "the revealer of the character of God." The context of "glory of God" here is clearly character. Given Ellen White says the glory of God is His character, you must accept that at least some of the time when she speaks of God's character, that's what she means. Now when she explicitly speaks of God's character, how do you try to make it mean something physical instead?

If you look at the whole context, the whole thing is spiritual:

Quote:
"I indeed baptize you in water unto repentance," said John; "but He that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire." Matt. 3:11, R. V., margin. The prophet Isaiah had declared that the Lord would cleanse His people from their iniquities "by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning." The word of the Lord to Israel was, "I will turn My hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin." Isa. 4:4; 1:25. To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. Jacob, after his night of wrestling with the Angel, exclaimed, "I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." Gen. 32: 30.
Page 108
Jacob had been guilty of a great sin in his conduct toward Esau; but he had repented. His transgression had been forgiven, and his sin purged; therefore he could endure the revelation of God's presence. But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed. At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence.

There's absolutely nothing in any of this to suggest the idea that physical fire or light gives life to the righteous. Look where she says, "Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence." This is speaking of Jesus Christ in the flesh. He didn't have any radiant light shining from Him. This is talking about His character! Christ's presence makes manifest to men their sin. That's why they couldn't abide His presence. This is why they won't be able to abide His presence in the judgment as well. This is why the glory of Him who is love will destroy them, because His character will make manifest their sin; that's what they can't stand.

Quote:
T:GC 543 brings out the exclusion of the wicked from heaven is voluntary with themselves. It's not dealing with fire at all.

MM:Nor does it deal with death.

Sure it does. Have your read the passage?

Quote:
"The wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23. While life is the inheritance of the righteous, death is the portion of the wicked.

The whole context is dealing with the death of the wicked.

Quote:
When a murderer is sentenced to death by lethal injection it is the result of breaking the law. He is left to reap the results of his choosing. So it is with divine justice. There is nothing arbitrary about God executing sinners. The penalty for sinning is death by fire. That's the law.

This is an attempt to twist what DA 764 is saying to fit a paradigm which doesn't fit. For example:

Quote:
Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. (GC 543)

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.(DA 764)

It's hard to see how this passage could be interpreted more diametrically opposed to what it's saying than what you just said above. The big flaw I see in all your reasoning is that you perceive sin to be innocuous. It has no power to destroy or cause death. Sinners die not because there is anything destructive or bad about sin itself, but because God burns them.

Quote:
Your view of God resurrecting sinners for the purpose of exposing them to His unveiled glory so that they can suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness is considered by many people to be hideous and misrepresentative of God's glorious character. How do you defend your view of God and justice and judgment in light of these accusations? What is to be gain by resurrecting sinners? Why not leave them dead?

I've invited you to start a thread on this subject. I asked this question about 5 years ago, I think, and it's still being discussed on another forum I visit. It's a very good question, so again, I'd invite you to start a thread to discuss it. A short comment is that your assertion here is totally false:

Quote:
Your view of God resurrecting sinners for the purpose of exposing them to His unveiled glory so that they can suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness

This is not my view! Once again, I'd invite you to quote something I've actually said. To be clear as to where your assertion is off is in regards to your use of the word "purpose." The purpose of the judgment is not to cause suffering or death. Suffering and death is an unfortunate consequence of sin, not something which God purposes. Given how vociferously I have argued against this idea, that God purposes suffering and death, it's odd that you would attribute this idea to me.

Page 30 of 71 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!