HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Immorality, the occult and manipulation in the church #10400
11/05/03 11:51 AM
11/05/03 11:51 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Yesterday I was looking at the message of Christ to the churches in Thyatira and Pergamos in Revelation 2. I noticed that our Lord seems to connect the immoral practices of Jezebel with sorcery. Pagan rites have been known anciently for their immoral content, but here, the Lord warns the church that even among believers there is a decided connection between immoral thoughts and actions and the occult. The one leads to the other. The occult is moral night, so it would be expected that sexual impurity is one of its attributes, and conversely if one partakes of its fruit – impurity – one becomes identified with it’s secret, or ‘deep’ teaching, at first on a subconscious level, but more overtly as one’s capacity for self deception increases with each sinful indulgence.

Another connection that Christ makes is to link immorality and impurity with the overbearing, manipulative doctrine of the Nicolaitans in the church at Pergamos. According to Strong, this word defines a mindset to rule over the laity, not by any virtue other than for the purpose of being the one in authority. This doctrine especially threatens Adventism. But note that Thyatira and Pergamos were under attack from this three fold union – immorality, occultic influence, and a disposition in those who had come under these influences to rule or ruin. We need to be wise here, recognizing that the only way of overcoming our human tendency to entrust our God given duties and privileges to another human being is to overcome in these areas of moral purity. Only then can we expect to close the door on our inherent vulnerability to manipulation. This is my view. What do think forum?

quote:

2:12 And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;
2:13 I know thy works and where thou dwellest, [even] where Satan's seat [is]: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas [was] my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate.
2:16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth [it].
2:18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet [are] like fine brass;
2:19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last [to be] more than the first.
2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.
2:22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
2:23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.
2:24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.
2:25 But that which ye have [already] hold fast till I come.
2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
2:27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
2:28 And I will give him the morning star.
2:29 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Re: Immorality, the occult and manipulation in the church #10401
11/06/03 04:07 AM
11/06/03 04:07 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
What was the doctrine of the Nicolaitans? THis can help in identifying what and where it is being used today.

God Bless,
Will

Re: Immorality, the occult and manipulation in the church #10402
11/06/03 04:49 AM
11/06/03 04:49 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
There is a book titled Deceived by the New Age that I am currently reading and one of the key points that is mentioned is the infiltration that happens in the church.
There are people sent to infiltrate the churches who would watch a very very big well known tv evengelist and study his techniques, and his techniques were attractive to the leader of this 'group' since what he said was very much inline with new age. So his techniques were used to preach to un-suspecting sincere truth seekers, but no truth was being preached.
Interesting stuff and worth the read since there seems to be a lot of people wanting to see spiritual manifestations occurr in order to be 'sold' on going to that church. No mention yet of the fornication and eating food belonging to idols, but am curious if such denominations have these types of practices and are under the guise of Christianity?

God Bless,
Will

Re: Immorality, the occult and manipulation in the church #10403
11/07/03 04:13 AM
11/07/03 04:13 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you think such activities are present in the church or presented as benign in our daily lives?

Re: Immorality, the occult and manipulation in the church #10404
11/07/03 03:21 AM
11/07/03 03:21 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Fornication is pandemic throughout Christendom including Adventism. The occult is more subtle. Claudia Thompson-Burrows has some good insights on its manifestations in Adventism. Any ground given in adopting occultic thinking whether in the form of New Age mysticism or ancient paganism is eating the food of idols, that is demons.

Re: Immorality, the occult and manipulation in the church #10405
11/07/03 07:11 AM
11/07/03 07:11 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Thanks Mark for your response, and I will see what type of literature Claudia Thompson-Burrows has published.
One thing that I do find curious and hopefully is not off topic, but what about the more popular holidays that are celebrated i.e. Christmas and Easter?
I know that today it is just a gimmick and the holidays are a time to see family and the like, but I have heard about the paganistic roots of Christmas and Easter and would like to know what your opinions are on these?

God Bless,
Will

Re: Immorality, the occult and manipulation in the church #10406
11/07/03 11:42 AM
11/07/03 11:42 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
My view of Christmas and Easter is that they are good annual reminders of the birth and death of Christ, and we should take advantage of the opportunity to meditate on those events and enter into the Christian spirit of what they celebrate. If we bear in mind that the days chosen to do this are pagan, and that the actual day for Easter is the day after the Passover and the day for Christmas is likely one of the fall feast days we are safe. The Pagan days are false days of worship of course, but there is no law against worshiping God on any of them. The opposite is true. We worship God morning and evening and Sabbath to Sabbath regardless of what Pagan rites fall on these days.

But there is no safety in celebrating Hallowe'en. Participating in Hallowe'en with your children is breaking down the hedge that God has errected for us against the occult, because the focus is demonic.

Claudia hasn't written any books. She's posted some things on New Age within the church here on MSDAOL. She hasn't been that active lately but the way to trace her posts is to find one and then click on the link in the lower left corner of the post box. The most recent post she's made on an unrelated topic is in the church issues forum on one of the two thread on home churches I think.

Re: Immorality, the occult and manipulation in the church #10407
11/07/03 09:47 PM
11/07/03 09:47 PM
R
Ralph Myers  Offline
Deceased August 1, 2021
Denver
Why should any Christian, that believes that the papacy is the beast, accept the holy day instituted by the beast? Re: Christmas...

It has no other holy significance other than that given to it by the pope that made it a holy day.

Re: Immorality, the occult and manipulation in the church #10408
11/08/03 11:49 AM
11/08/03 11:49 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Christmas is like Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is not more holy than any other day, but it is another good opportunity to remember God's providences and mercies. If we can remember what God has done in general on one day of the year because the rest of the community thinks this is a good thing, why can't we also remember the birth of Christ annually. No one knows the exact date of His birth, but it would be a shame not to celebrate it. Lots of good things happen on Christmas. Many children have their first chance to experience the joy of giving and they do it wonderfully. The Jews annually lived in booths made of trees boughs, and in the Christmas tradition, we bring in a tree. Just the smell of the pine or spruce is a blessing and worthwhile, let alone the beauty.

Re: Immorality, the occult and manipulation in the church #10409
11/08/03 01:23 PM
11/08/03 01:23 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
I would hope the majority of people, especially Chritians, realize that the day the world celebrates Xmas is not really the day Jesus was born. I think there is a very good reason why we have not been allowed to know just what day He was born..and for very good reason. Look what the people have done with the 25th day of December. It has become a very good time of the year for sales to go way up. I do belive the majority of the people who celebrate this day really do not spend much time remembering that it is soppose to be in honor of Christ's birth. Mostly it is for giving and receiving presents, partying, etc. If I am not mistaken there are even some schools who can not even have the Xmas play we use to all have...you know the manager and wise men, etc. It might offend some of these other non-Christian people.

However, since it is a time of the year that does bring out some thoughts of Christ to the world I believe that we as Christians should in some way, not like the world, use it for telling others about Christ and what He has done for us and will do for them.

I agree with not having anything to do with Halloween...

Easter....mostly another time of the year for spending money...egg hunt, chocolate bunnies...pagan. We can use the time to tell others about Christ's resurrection.

If God had wanted us to celebrate all these man-made holidays He would have told us how to do it and what day. Since He did not then I do not think we should be giving the wrong example by following the world in the way they do. But I do beieve, especially if you have children, that you learn to do it in a way that will show others the love of God and point them to Christ. We can not just ignore certain holidays like Christmas. Great time to show the which spirit is in you...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!