HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,654 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 22 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 21 22
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104057
10/27/08 10:46 PM
10/27/08 10:46 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Do you dispute that words mean different things in one culture than in another, especially cultures separated by millenia?

No, but by studying the Bible and comparing passages you can ascertain the meaning of a word. If you take the word hades in the NT, for instance, and attribute to it the meaning it had in secular Greek, you will arrive at wrong conclusions.
I don’t think Ellen White arrived at wrong conclusions, nor that she applied to biblical concepts ideas that were foreign to the Bible.

Quote:
T: Where in the Bible does the word "righteous" mean "someone who has kept the law perfectly their whole life." I don't think any Jew of that time had this concept of the word. Do you think they did?
R: Yes, I think they did.
T: Ok. I think they didn't.

Tom, the word “righteousness” means just compliance with the law, obedience to the law. The law is the standard of righteousness.

“Righteousness is right-doing. It is obedience to the law of God; for in that law the principles of righteousness are set forth. The Bible says, ‘All Thy commandments are righteousness.’” Psalm 119:172. {SJ 61.1}

Now, does the law require just partial obedience or perfect obedience? Can the law declare righteous someone who sins? Even if you have just one sin during your entire life, how can the law declare you righteous?

“Christ died because there was no other hope for the transgressor. He might try to keep God's law in the future; but the debt which he had incurred in the past remained, and the law must condemn him to death. Christ came to pay that debt for the sinner which it was impossible for him to pay for himself. Thus, through the atoning sacrifice of Christ, sinful man was granted another trial.” {RH, March 8, 1881 par. 4}

That’s why we need a Substitute. The law considers both the death and the obedience of the Substitute as being ours.

“In Christ we are as if we had suffered the penalty we have incurred. In Christ I am as if I had obeyed, and rendered perfect obedience to the law, which we can not perfectly obey without Christ imparts to us His merits and His righteousness.” {PUR, September 4, 1913 par. 3}

Quote:
Regarding the use of the word "righteous" by John, I'm now confused as to what you are saying. I am saying that when John says that one who does righteousness is righteous, he is simply referring to what he says later in the chapter, that one who is righteous is one who loves his brother and takes care of him. Simply put, a righteous person is one who does righteous things. He wasn't saying anything about imputed righteousness or making up for deficiencies or any of that. (I'm not commenting on the veracity of the idea, just that John was discussing this).

He was discussing obedience to the law versus transgression of it (see v. 4). So I think the ideas discussed above are implied in what he says.

Quote:
R: Because “forgiven” here is used in the sense of “as if you had not sinned.”
T: That's always what "forgiven" means. If you owe me money, and I forgive you your debt, then it's as if you hadn't incurred a debt. If you step on my toe, and say "pardon me," and I forgive you, it's as if you didn't step on my toe.

When Christ forgives us, it’s as if He had done what we did, and as if we had done what He did. It’s the same as if you killed my son and I was put to death with the lethal injection in your place, and you went free to live in my house. God doesn’t require that of us, and human forgiveness is not like that.
So, again, to me, this only makes sense from a legal perspective.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #104060
10/28/08 12:53 AM
10/28/08 12:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm not disputing, nor discussing, the question as to whether the law requires obedience for one's entire life. What I'm saying is that this is not a Jewish concept. If you want to prove it is, you cannot do so by quoting Ellen White. She's not Jewish! She wrote and reasoned, not as a first century Jew (or earlier) but as a 19th century American. Now just because she thought, used words differently, and reasoned differently than first century Jews did, does not mean that she is wrong, or that she contradicts their thoughts or reasoning. This is just a matter of different cultures and languages.

I provided a host of definitions of "righteous" as the Jews conceived it. I've been looking around the internet, and I haven't seen the idea you're suggesting, that Jews had the concept of righteousness meaning perfectly keeping the law one's whole life. If you have some evidence that this is the case, I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Quote:
T: That's always what "forgiven" means. If you owe me money, and I forgive you your debt, then it's as if you hadn't incurred a debt. If you step on my toe, and say "pardon me," and I forgive you, it's as if you didn't step on my toe.

When Christ forgives us, it’s as if He had done what we did, and as if we had done what He did. It’s the same as if you killed my son and I was put to death with the lethal injection in your place, and you went free to live in my house. God doesn’t require that of us, and human forgiveness is not like that.

But you're reading the legal perspective into the thing. That's not necessary. When Christ forgives us, He forgives us, out of the goodness of His heart. The same with God.

I asked previously:

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're saying here. We ask God to forgive us. He forgives us. Why does this only make sense from a legal perspective?

Didn't Jesus give us the parable of the Prodigal Son so that we could understand forgiveness? (i.e., how God forgives) Isn't that the whole point of the parable? Does this parable only make sense from a legal perspective?

I can open this up further. Where does Christ anywhere teach the penal substitution idea of forgiveness? There are a number of parables and examples from Christ's life that suggest this is *not* the case (such as the prodigal son, the servant forgiven 10,000 talents, Christ's forgiving the paralytic, the Lord's prayer, to mention a few) but I don't know of any incidents, teachings, or parables of Christ which suggest this *is* the case.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104064
10/28/08 07:52 PM
10/28/08 07:52 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I provided a host of definitions of "righteous" as the Jews conceived it. I've been looking around the internet, and I haven't seen the idea you're suggesting, that Jews had the concept of righteousness meaning perfectly keeping the law one's whole life. If you have some evidence that this is the case, I'd be very interested in seeing it.

In fact, this was a common concept:

Luke 18:21, BBE: And he said, All these things I have done from the time when I was a boy. (The Bible in Basic English) [referring to the keeping of the commandments]

Philippians 3:6 with respect to the righteousness which is by the law, blameless.
(Philippians 3:6, Phillips: As far as the Law’s righteousness is concerned, I don’t think anyone could have found fault with me.)

They believed in the righteousness of the law, that is, they had the notion that "righteous" were those who kept perfectly the law (the idea that it was during one's whole life is implied). Since most of them were legalists, they thought that this was an achievable goal. Only those who were spiritually mature and had a true conception of the depth of the precepts of the law, could say, like the psalmist,

Psalms 143:2 Do not enter into judgment with Your servant, for in Your sight no one living is righteous.

Quote:

R: When Christ forgives us, it’s as if He had done what we did, and as if we had done what He did. It’s the same as if you killed my son and I was put to death with the lethal injection in your place, and you went free to live in my house. God doesn’t require that of us, and human forgiveness is not like that.

T: But you're reading the legal perspective into the thing. That's not necessary. When Christ forgives us, He forgives us, out of the goodness of His heart. The same with God.

Of course they forgive us out of the goodness of their heart. But the legal dispositions of the plan of salvation exist to refute/avoid Satan’s accusations against God before the universe.

By dying in our behalf, he gave an equivalent for our debt. Thus he removed from God all charge of lessening the guilt of sin. By virtue of my oneness with the Father, he says, my suffering and death enable me to pay the penalty of sin. By my death a restraint is removed from his love. His grace can act with unbounded efficiency.” {YI, December 16, 1897 par. 7}

Quote:
I can open this up further. Where does Christ anywhere teach the penal substitution idea of forgiveness? There are a number of parables and examples from Christ's life that suggest this is *not* the case (such as the prodigal son, the servant forgiven 10,000 talents, Christ's forgiving the paralytic, the Lord's prayer, to mention a few) but I don't know of any incidents, teachings, or parables of Christ which suggest this *is* the case.

Well, of course the parables do not teach all the aspects of the plan of salvation. Where do the parables teach that Christ had to die for our forgiveness? None of Christ’s parables alludes to His death (except, if memory serves me well, that of Matt 21:33-44, but it speaks of His death in terms of the Jews taking His life, so in a way not related to our salvation).
In His teachings He mentions the purpose of His death a few times (Mark 10:45, John 6:51, John 10:11, 15), but not in detail, probably because the disciples were not prepared to understand it.
So the clearest passages we have about the purpose of Christ’s death (except Isa 53) are NT passages written by the apostles (1 Cor 15:3, Gal 1:4, 1 John 2:2, 1 Pet 2:24, 2 Cor 5:21, Gal 3:13, Heb 2:9).
In my opinion the clearest of them are: 2 Cor 5:21 - He was made to be sin for us (especially speaking of the cross), that in Him we might become the righteousness of God. IOW, our sins were imputed to Him so that His righteousness might be imputed to us. Also Gal. 3:13 - Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us. He took on Himself the curse (penalty) of the law which we had incurred, in order to redeem us from this penalty.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #104067
10/28/08 11:46 PM
10/28/08 11:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
In fact, this was a common concept:

Luke 18:21, BBE: And he said, All these things I have done from the time when I was a boy. (The Bible in Basic English) [referring to the keeping of the commandments]

Philippians 3:6 with respect to the righteousness which is by the law, blameless.
(Philippians 3:6, Phillips: As far as the Law’s righteousness is concerned, I don’t think anyone could have found fault with me.)

They believed in the righteousness of the law, that is, they had the notion that "righteous" were those who kept perfectly the law (the idea that it was during one's whole life is implied).

The idea isn't that they had never committed an error their whole life, but they were, at that time, keeping it. You're reading into what they are saying the idea of righteousness that you have have, that to be righteous meant keeping the law perfectly one's whole life, but this isn't the idea they had. If that's what it meant, how could Abraham have been called righteous?

When the fellow said he had been keeping the law since a boy, it would be just like our saying we've kept the Sabbath since a child, assuming we were raised as an SDA. In saying, "I've kept the Sabbath since I was boy" we wouldn't mean, "I've never, ever broke the Sabbath, even once" but that this is our custom, and also was in childhood.

Quote:
Of course they forgive us out of the goodness of their heart. But the legal dispositions of the plan of salvation exist to refute/avoid Satan’s accusations against God before the universe.

What accusation could have been leveled against God if Lucifer had taken Him up on His offer to pardon him?

Quote:
Well, of course the parables do not teach all the aspects of the plan of salvation.

Do they teach all the important aspects?

Quote:
Where do the parables teach that Christ had to die for our forgiveness?

Where indeed.

Quote:
None of Christ’s parables alludes to His death (except, if memory serves me well, that of Matt 21:33-44, but it speaks of His death in terms of the Jews taking His life, so in a way not related to our salvation).

How is the Jews taking Jesus' life not related to our salvation? The first recorded sermon after Jesus' ascension:

Quote:
22Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

23Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: (Acts 2:22,23)

Doesn't this have to do with salvation?

Regarding Jesus' teaching, His mentioned His death on quite a number of occasions, sometimes indirectly. One of the principle places he mentions it is John 12:

Quote:
24Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

25He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

26If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

27Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

28Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.

29The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him.

30Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.

31Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

32And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. (John 12)

If one takes the Christus Victor standpoint, then Jesus' death becomes a part of everything else He did, which was to fight against the powers of evil. In this perspective *everything* He did has significance, and His teachings in relation to His death are simply an extension of everything else He did.

To use the familiar language of the SOP, the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission was the "revelation of God." From this perspective, it is easy to see that everything Christ did contributed to this purpose.

If one takes the penal substitution perspective, then one becomes embarrassed by the question of where Christ taught the ideas expressed by this perspective. Where did Christ teach that God could not legally forgive us unless He (Christ) died? The supposedly most important aspect to Christ's death then becomes something He Himself never personally taught. That's problematic.

Quote:
He took on Himself the curse (penalty) of the law which we had incurred, in order to redeem us from this penalty.

This raises an interesting question. Did the Jews conceive of the curse as a penalty? I'll have to think about that.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104078
10/29/08 08:16 PM
10/29/08 08:16 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
The idea isn't that they had never committed an error their whole life, but they were, at that time, keeping it.

I’m afraid this is not the case. The pharisees told the man born blind, "Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us?" meaning that he had sinned from his birth, and implying that theirs was the opposite case.
They were blind to their own sins and many of them probably thought they had never sinned during their whole lives.
And sure many of them thought the same about the Biblical heroes, as this very interesting article shows:

“Indeed, from early rabbinic times to the contemporary Jewish world, rabbis and commentaries have strained to reconcile the biblical text with doctrinal beliefs concerning the righteousness of Judaism’s biblical founders and heroic personalities. ... It is true that, at times, early rabbinic literature either showers hyperbolic praise upon biblical heroes or resolutely defends, excuses, or denies their apparent misdeeds. ... dismissal of the sins of biblical heroes seems to demonstrate rabbinic commitment to the notion of the heroes’ flawlessness (or near-flawlessness) to an extent that even fulsome praise does not. ‘Anyone who says that X sinned is mistaken’ (BT Shabbat).”

Of course these views were legalistic and wrong, but they demonstrate that it’s only natural to think of righteousness as perfect obedience to the law during one’s whole life. This is a biblical notion:

Leviticus 18:5 You shall therefore keep my statutes and my ordinances, by doing which a man shall live: I am the LORD.

And:

Deuteronomy 27:26 "‘Cursed be he who does not confirm the words of this law by doing them.’”

If the Bible says you will live by your obedience to the law, and that you will be cursed by its transgression, of course if you do not believe in a Savior from sin (as was the case of the Jews), you must believe you have no sin.

Think for a little: the law cannot forgive. Therefore, if you commit even a little sin, at whatever point of your life, the law can no longer declare you righteous and you are subject to its penalty. That’s why Christ had to come and take the penalty of the law in man's place, and also obey the law perfectly on his behalf.

Quote:
R: Of course they forgive us out of the goodness of their heart. But the legal dispositions of the plan of salvation exist to refute/avoid Satan’s accusations against God before the universe.
T: What accusation could have been leveled against God if Lucifer had taken Him up on His offer to pardon him?

After his transgression of the law (rebellion, defiance of God's will), Satan hadn’t been pardoned, therefore he held that no one else who transgressed the law (rebelled, defied God's will) could be pardoned.

“In the opening of the great controversy, Satan had declared that the law of God could not be obeyed, that justice was inconsistent with mercy, and that, should the law be broken, it would be impossible for the sinner to be pardoned. Every sin must meet its punishment, urged Satan; and if God should remit the punishment of sin, He would not be a God of truth and justice. When men broke the law of God, and defied His will, Satan exulted. It was proved, he declared, that the law could not be obeyed; man could not be forgiven. Because he, after his rebellion, had been banished from heaven, Satan claimed that the human race must be forever shut out from God's favor. God could not be just, he urged, and yet show mercy to the sinner” (DA 761).

Quote:
R: Well, of course the parables do not teach all the aspects of the plan of salvation.
T: Do they teach all the important aspects?

Not all of them.

Quote:
R: Where do the parables teach that Christ had to die for our forgiveness?
T: Where indeed.

They don’t, but Christ did.

Matthew 26:28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Quote:
R: None of Christ’s parables alludes to His death (except, if memory serves me well, that of Matt 21:33-44, but it speaks of His death in terms of the Jews taking His life, so in a way not related to our salvation).
T: How is the Jews taking Jesus' life not related to our salvation? The first recorded sermon after Jesus' ascension:

No, the fact that the Jews took Jesus’ life is not related to our salvation. It was related to theirs, because they needed to repent of that, and that's why the fact was included in Peter's sermon.

Quote:
If one takes the penal substitution perspective, then one becomes embarrassed by the question of where Christ taught the ideas expressed by this perspective. Where did Christ teach that God could not legally forgive us unless He (Christ) died? The supposedly most important aspect to Christ's death then becomes something He Himself never personally taught. That's problematic.

As I said, many aspects of the plan of salvation Christ taught only indirectly, because the disciples weren’t yet prepared to understand these things. These aspects would be expanded by the NT writers later.

Quote:
R: He took on Himself the curse (penalty) of the law which we had incurred, in order to redeem us from this penalty.
T: This raises an interesting question. Did the Jews conceive of the curse as a penalty? I'll have to think about that.

What else could a curse be?

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #104082
10/29/08 11:10 PM
10/29/08 11:10 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:The idea isn't that they had never committed an error their whole life, but they were, at that time, keeping it.

R:I’m afraid this is not the case.

Why not?

The blind person being born in sins doesn't mean someone not born in sins never sinned, but they weren't born that way.

The thing about Biblical heroes says this:

Quote:
Moreover, because the biblical heroes are so extraordinarily righteous, it is simply unthinkable that they should have grievously transgressed prohibitions such as idolatry, adultery, or even rank deception.

Now if "righteous" means "keep the law perfectly one's entire life" what does "extraordinarily righteous" mean? This would be the epitome of redundancy. The phrase "extraordinarily righteous" makes sense with how Jews thought of the word "righteous," but not with what you're suggesting.

Quote:
Leviticus 18:5 You shall therefore keep my statutes and my ordinances, by doing which a man shall live: I am the LORD.

And:

Deuteronomy 27:26 "‘Cursed be he who does not confirm the words of this law by doing them.’”

This is a general principle, which agrees with the Jewish concept that righteousness is being obedient. Where do you get the idea that being righteous means perfectly keeping the law one's who life?

Quote:
If the Bible says you will live by your obedience to the law, and that you will be cursed by its transgression, of course if you do not believe in a Savior from sin (as was the case of the Jews), you must believe you have no sin.

I take it you mean some of the Jews didn't believe in a Savior from sin. There were certainly Jews who did.

Actually I'm not following your whole train of thought here. Would you try again please?

Quote:
Think for a little: the law cannot forgive. Therefore, if you commit even a little sin, at whatever point of your life, the law can no longer declare you righteous and you are subject to its penalty.

I don't believe the Jews thought this way. None of this. This is what I'm asserting.

You can disprove this by quoting something from a Jew of the first century or earlier (or some authority which explains that this is how they thought) which says "the law cannot forgive" or "if you commit even a little sin, at whatever point of your life, the law can no longer declare you righteous and you are subject to its penalty." In particular, the concept that you are subject to the penalty of the law if you break it is a concept I would like to see verified (that is, as a Jewish concept).

Please bear in mind I'm not arguing the veracity of the statements, just the idea that the Jews thought in this way.

Quote:
R: Of course they forgive us out of the goodness of their heart. But the legal dispositions of the plan of salvation exist to refute/avoid Satan’s accusations against God before the universe.
T: What accusation could have been leveled against God if Lucifer had taken Him up on His offer to pardon him?

R:After his transgression of the law (rebellion, defiance of God's will), Satan hadn’t been pardoned, therefore he held that no one else who transgressed the law (rebelled, defied God's will) could be pardoned.

He wasn't pardoned because he didn't accept God's offer of pardon. I'm asking what accusation could have been leveled against God had Lucifer accepted God's offer to pardon him.

Quote:
R: Well, of course the parables do not teach all the aspects of the plan of salvation.

Not all of them.

And we could extend this to Christ's teachings in general? That is, there are important aspects of the Plan of Salvation which Christ did not teach?

Quote:
R: Where do the parables teach that Christ had to die for our forgiveness?
T: Where indeed.

They don’t, but Christ did.

Matthew 26:28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

I've always agreed that we needed Christ's death in order to be forgiven. I've questioned that *God* needed Christ's death.

Quote:
R: None of Christ’s parables alludes to His death (except, if memory serves me well, that of Matt 21:33-44, but it speaks of His death in terms of the Jews taking His life, so in a way not related to our salvation).
T: How is the Jews taking Jesus' life not related to our salvation? The first recorded sermon after Jesus' ascension:

R:No, the fact that the Jews took Jesus’ life is not related to our salvation. It was related to theirs, because they needed to repent of that, and that's why the fact was included in Peter's sermon.

How is Christ's death not related to our salvation? I'm sure this isn't what you mean, so you must have the idea that some things related to Christ's death have to do with our salvation, but other things don't? For example, Christ was crucified. Does that have to do with our salvation? Or is this something only the Romans who actually crucified Him need to be concerned with?

Quote:
As I said, many aspects of the plan of salvation Christ taught only indirectly, because the disciples weren’t yet prepared to understand these things. These aspects would be expanded by the NT writers later.

Your understanding, then, is that Christ did not deal with how one is saved, in relation to His death, to the disciples, because they weren't ready to understand this?

Quote:
R: He took on Himself the curse (penalty) of the law which we had incurred, in order to redeem us from this penalty.
T: This raises an interesting question. Did the Jews conceive of the curse as a penalty? I'll have to think about that.

R:What else could a curse be?

An action. Being rejected of God, being cast off from the Covenant community. I think the Jews thought of the curse in these terms. Not as a forensic penalty prescribed by the law.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104090
10/30/08 11:27 PM
10/30/08 11:27 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
The blind person being born in sins doesn't mean someone not born in sins never sinned, but they weren't born that way.

????
The contrast was clearly that he was a sinner while they were righteous.

Quote:
Now if "righteous" means "keep the law perfectly one's entire life" what does "extraordinarily righteous" mean? This would be the epitome of redundancy. The phrase "extraordinarily righteous" makes sense with how Jews thought of the word "righteous," but not with what you're suggesting.

????
The author is trying to show the absurdity of the early rabbis’ view, so in his phrase “extraordinarily righteous” he is trying to express all of their hyperboles: “the most luminous, loftiest, and purest personalities, the holiest creatures,” etc.
Extraordinary = different from common human beings.

Quote:

And:

T: This is a general principle, which agrees with the Jewish concept that righteousness is being obedient. Where do you get the idea that being righteous means perfectly keeping the law one's who life?

After you are cursed, how can this curse be removed? It can’t, unless a qualified Substitute bears it in your place. That’s why Paul says, “For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse.” Why? Exactly because it’s impossible to obey the law perfectly during your whole life.

Quote:
R: Think for a little: the law cannot forgive. Therefore, if you commit even a little sin, at whatever point of your life, the law can no longer declare you righteous and you are subject to its penalty.
T: I don't believe the Jews thought this way. None of this. This is what I'm asserting.

Was Paul a Jew? This is his reasoning in Galatians (see above).

Quote:
R: After his transgression of the law (rebellion, defiance of God's will), Satan hadn’t been pardoned, therefore he held that no one else who transgressed the law (rebelled, defied God's will) could be pardoned.
T: He wasn't pardoned because he didn't accept God's offer of pardon.

I said after his transgression (rebellion). Then he asked to be pardoned, but Jesus said he couldn’t be. Do you remember this?

Quote:
R: Not all of them.
T: And we could extend this to Christ's teachings in general? That is, there are important aspects of the Plan of Salvation which Christ did not teach?

There are important aspects He did not teach in detail.

Quote:
I've always agreed that we needed Christ's death in order to be forgiven. I've questioned that *God* needed Christ's death.

What do you make of this passage?

“By dying in our behalf, he gave an equivalent for our debt. Thus he removed from God all charge of lessening the guilt of sin. By virtue of my oneness with the Father, he says, my suffering and death enable me to pay the penalty of sin. By my death a restraint is removed from his love. His grace can act with unbounded efficiency.” {YI, December 16, 1897 par. 7}

Quote:
R: No, the fact that the Jews took Jesus’ life is not related to our salvation. It was related to theirs, because they needed to repent of that, and that's why the fact was included in Peter's sermon.
T: How is Christ's death not related to our salvation? I'm sure this isn't what you mean, so you must have the idea that some things related to Christ's death have to do with our salvation, but other things don't? For example, Christ was crucified. Does that have to do with our salvation? Or is this something only the Romans who actually crucified Him need to be concerned with?

He didn’t die because He was crucified (which was what the Jews and Romand did); that’s the point.

Quote:
Your understanding, then, is that Christ did not deal with how one is saved, in relation to His death, to the disciples, because they weren't ready to understand this?

John 16:12 "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.”

Quote:
R:What else could a curse be?
T: An action. Being rejected of God, being cast off from the Covenant community. I think the Jews thought of the curse in these terms. Not as a forensic penalty prescribed by the law.

Being rejected of God is OK. Or being under God’s wrath. Or feeling the weight of one’s own sins. It’s a forensic penalty if it happens as the outcome of a judgment.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #104092
10/31/08 01:00 AM
10/31/08 01:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
(Part 1)

Quote:

????
The contrast was clearly that he was a sinner while they were righteous.

They weren't saying they were righteous because they had never sinned. They were saying simply that the other guy was born in sins, and they weren't.

Quote:

????

If righteous means "to keep the whole law for one's whole life" that's something that can't be improved upon. "Extraordinarily righteous" would be meaningless. It would be like saying "extraordinarily virginal."

Quote:
T: This is a general principle, which agrees with the Jewish concept that righteousness is being obedient. Where do you get the idea that being righteous means perfectly keeping the law one's who life?

R:After you are cursed, how can this curse be removed? It can’t, unless a qualified Substitute bears it in your place. That’s why Paul says, “For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse.” Why? Exactly because it’s impossible to obey the law perfectly during your whole life.

That's not Paul's argument at all. Paul says:

Quote:
For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.(Gal. 3:10)

The curse comes upon those who are disobedient. Those who live by faith are righteous. Why? Because they are obedient. Those who are of the works of the law are cursed. Why? Because they are not obedience. Obedience is by faith, not by the works of the law.

Again:

Quote:
This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (Gal. 3:2)

By the works of the law, they could not receive the Spirit, and so could not obey the law, for the law can only be kept by the power of the Spirit.

A fuller explanation from your favorite author: smile

Quote:
Note the sharp contrast in verses 9 and 10. "They which be of faith are blessed," but "as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse." Faith brings the blessing; works bring the curse, or, rather, leave one under the curse. The curse is on all, for "he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God." John 3:18. Faith removes the curse.

Who are under the curse?--"As many as are of the works of the law." Note that it does not say that those who do the law are under the curse, for that would be a contradiction of Rev.22:14: "Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." "Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord." Ps.119:1.

So, then, they that are of faith are keepers of the law; for they that are of faith are blessed, and those who do the commandments are blessed. By faith they do the commandments. The Gospel is contrary to human nature, and so it is that we become doers of the law, not by doing, but by believing. If we worked for righteousness, we should be exercising only our own sinful human nature, and so would get no nearer to righteousness, but farther from it; but by believing the "exceeding great and precious promises," we become partakers of the Divine nature (2Pet.1:4), and then all our works are wrought in God. "The Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith. But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. Wherefore?--Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumbling-stone;-stone; as it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a Stumbling-stone and Rock of offense; and whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed." Rom.9:30-33.

What the Curse Is.

No one can read Gal.3:10 carefully and thoughtfully without seeing that the curse is transgression of the law. Disobedience to God's law is itself the curse; for "by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin." Rom.5:12. Sin has death wrapped up in it. Without sin death would be impossible, for "the sting of death is sin." 1Cor.15:56. "As many as are of the works of the law are under the curse." Why? Is it because the law is a curse?--Not by any means. "The law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good." Rom.7:12. Why, then, are as many as are of the works of the law under the curse?--Because it is written, "Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them." Mark it well: They are not cursed because they do the law, but because they do not do it. So, then, we see that being of the works of the law does not mean that one is doing the law. No; "the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be." Rom.8:7. All are under the curse, and he who thinks to get out by his own works, remains there. The curse consists in not continuing in all things that are written in the law; therefore, the blessing means perfect conformity to the law. This is as plain as language can make it.

Blessing and Cursing.

"Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; a blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you this day; and a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the Lord your God." Deut.11:26-28. This is the living word of God, addressed to each one of us personally. "The law worketh wrath" (Rom.4:15), but the wrath of God comes only on the children of disobedience (Eph.5:6). If we truly believe, we are not condemned, but only because faith brings us into harmony with the law--the life of God. "Whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed." Jam.1:25.

(The Glad Tidings)

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104093
10/31/08 01:36 AM
10/31/08 01:36 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
(Part 2)

Quote:
R: Think for a little: the law cannot forgive. Therefore, if you commit even a little sin, at whatever point of your life, the law can no longer declare you righteous and you are subject to its penalty.
T: I don't believe the Jews thought this way. None of this. This is what I'm asserting.

R:Was Paul a Jew? This is his reasoning in Galatians (see above).

The way you are reading Galatians is by no means the only way to read it (for example, what I quoted from Waggoner is another way to understand Paul's argument). I think you're whole thought process is something that would not have even entered Paul's mind.

Quote:
R: After his transgression of the law (rebellion, defiance of God's will), Satan hadn’t been pardoned, therefore he held that no one else who transgressed the law (rebelled, defied God's will) could be pardoned.

I said after his transgression (rebellion). Then he asked to be pardoned, but Jesus said he couldn’t be. Do you remember this?

Yes, but I wasn't referring to that. Lucifer's asking for pardon there wasn't sincere. I'm talking about when God offered Lucifer pardon and an opportunity to confess his sin before being banished from heaven. If Lucifer had accepted that offer of pardon, what accusation against God would have remained?

Quote:
R: Not all of them.
T: And we could extend this to Christ's teachings in general? That is, there are important aspects of the Plan of Salvation which Christ did not teach?

R:There are important aspects He did not teach in detail.

Or plainly. Could we say that? There are important aspects of the Plan of Salvation which Christ did not teach plainly. Would you agree to that? He didn't teach them plainly because the disciples weren't ready to hear it. This is what I'm understanding you to say. Is this correct?

Quote:
What do you make of this passage?

“By dying in our behalf, he gave an equivalent for our debt. Thus he removed from God all charge of lessening the guilt of sin. By virtue of my oneness with the Father, he says, my suffering and death enable me to pay the penalty of sin. By my death a restraint is removed from his love. His grace can act with unbounded efficiency.” {YI, December 16, 1897 par. 7}

I think it (especially the part you underlined) means this:

Quote:
For all who receive Christ as their personal Saviour, there is opened an ample channel, in which human and divine instrumentalities can co-operate to communicate to the world the tide of God's love. All glory is of God and belongs to God. Yet in Christ also there is all power. In him divine power is combined with humanity. Faith in Christ holds the reins of eternal obligation. It settles upon the soul with a love that is the unfolding of divine mercy, and wins us back to God. "By grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God." Salvation through Christ is an infinite gift. There is no possibility of our receiving it by any merit of our own.

Quote:
He didn’t die because He was crucified (which was what the Jews and Romans did); that’s the point.

Peter says He did:

Quote:
Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:(Acts 2:23)

Quote:
T:Your understanding, then, is that Christ did not deal with how one is saved, in relation to His death, to the disciples, because they weren't ready to understand this?

R:John 16:12 "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.”

I take it by your applying this statement in answer to my question, that your answer is "yes."

Quote:
Being rejected of God is OK. Or being under God’s wrath. Or feeling the weight of one’s own sins.

Of course, Christ was not really rejected by God.

Quote:
4Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. (Isa. 53:4,5)

There are two aspects here. One is what we thought was happening "God is smiting Him" and the reality "He was wounded for our transgressions ... with His stripes we are healed."

Quote:
It’s a forensic penalty if it happens as the outcome of a judgment.

I don't believe any 1st century Jew would have had this thought. Or 1st century non-Jew. I don't think this was a concept which existed at this time.

Also I don't think is reflecting what really happened. Jesus' suffering was not the *result* of a penalty being arbitrarily enforced upon Him so that we could be let off. Instead, His suffering *was* the penalty; it was the result of sin.

From DA 764:

Quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.

The "this" is that the death of the wicked comes not as the result of an arbitrary action on God's part, but as a result of their sin. Had Satan and his followers been "left" to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished. This is what happened to Christ. It is because this happened to Christ that the angels *do* understand "this." Now, since Christ has died and demonstrated the truth, the angels understand that "this" is "the inevitable result of sin."

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104119
11/01/08 07:05 PM
11/01/08 07:05 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
They weren't saying they were righteous because they had never sinned. They were saying simply that the other guy was born in sins, and they weren't.

They weren’t saying it literally, but that was their clear intent.

Quote:
If righteous means "to keep the whole law for one's whole life" that's something that can't be improved upon. "Extraordinarily righteous" would be meaningless. It would be like saying "extraordinarily virginal."

Tom, again, the article’s author is just commenting about the hyperboles of the early rabbies, and using the expression ironically. He confirms, in the article, that for many of them “righteous” was equivalent to “no sin”, a concept he doesn’t accept, probably because this is humanly impossible (at least during one’s whole life).

Quote:
That's not Paul's argument at all. Paul says:

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.(Gal. 3:10)

The curse comes upon those who are disobedient.

Right, and since all are disobedient, for “all have sinned”, the curse is upon all. I agree with Waggoner that faith removes the curse. But why? Because the Substitute “redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us” (Gal 3:13).

Quote:
R: I said after his transgression (rebellion). Then he asked to be pardoned, but Jesus said he couldn’t be. Do you remember this?
T: Yes, but I wasn't referring to that.

But *I* was referring to that, because that was Satan’s argument.

“Because he, after his rebellion, had been banished from heaven, Satan claimed that the human race must be forever shut out from God's favor. God could not be just, he urged, and yet show mercy to the sinner” (DA 761).

Quote:
Could we say that? There are important aspects of the Plan of Salvation which Christ did not teach plainly. Would you agree to that? He didn't teach them plainly because the disciples weren't ready to hear it. This is what I'm understanding you to say. Is this correct?

Yes, this is true for the period of His ministry before the crucifixion. He must have taught these truths in more detail after His resurrection, during the 40 days He was on earth, or afterwards, through prophetic revelations of the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
R: What do you make of this passage?

T: I think it (especially the part you underlined) means this:

You have questioned that *God* needed Christ's death. What Ellen White is saying here is that there was something which prevented God’s love and grace to act – it was the charge of lessening the guilt of sin. Christ removed that charge by dying in our behalf and giving an equivalent for our debt. IOW, God (the Godhead) needed Christ’s death.

Quote:
R: He didn’t die because He was crucified (which was what the Jews and Romans did); that’s the point.
T: Peter says He did:

Tom, did Christ die because of the cross?

Quote:
R: Being rejected of God is OK. Or being under God’s wrath. Or feeling the weight of one’s own sins.
T: Of course, Christ was not really rejected by God.

Well, these were your words. I added other phrases to express the thought because I didn’t know exactly what you meant by it.

Quote:
R: It’s a forensic penalty if it happens as the outcome of a judgment.
T: I don't believe any 1st century Jew would have had this thought. Or 1st century non-Jew. I don't think this was a concept which existed at this time.

The text which Paul cites in Gal 3:13 (to verify the fact that Christ "became a curse") is set within a context dealing with capital punishments (Deut. 21:18-23). The capital punishment came as the result of a judicial decision (see Deut. 21:19-21). Then the criminal's corpse was hung on a "tree" or "wooden post" the same day of his death to be exposed as a warning.

Quote:
Also I don't think is reflecting what really happened. Jesus' suffering was not the *result* of a penalty being arbitrarily enforced upon Him so that we could be let off. Instead, His suffering *was* the penalty; it was the result of sin.

Well, Ellen White describes it as a judicial punishment:

“God permits his Son to be delivered up for our offenses. He himself assumes toward the Sin-bearer the character of a judge, divesting himself of the endearing qualities of a father. “ {SpTA04 20.2}

“He, the sin-bearer, endures judicial punishment for iniquity, and becomes sin itself for man.” {3SP 162.2}

Page 10 of 22 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 21 22

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!