HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104345
11/08/08 08:05 PM
11/08/08 08:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I came across something discussing Gal. 3:10-14:

Similarly, Galatians 3:10-14 expounds the salvific character of the cross of Christ in ways well-oriented to the context Paul is addressing. At this juncture in his argument with Galatian Christians enamored with legal observance, Paul needs to overcome the obvious problem of the essential partitioning of Jew and Gentile--a distinction centered on the status of the law-abiding Jew in contrast to the lawless Gentile. Gentiles lived under God's curse as persons outside the law; how then could they share in the blessings of Abraham?

Paul's first answer was that those who use the law to drive a wedge between Jews and Gentiles have abused the law and therefore fall under the same divine curse. How then can anyone participate in the blessings of Abraham? Second, borrowing the imagery of Deut. 21:22,23, Paul writes that Jesus has in this crucifixion borne the curse of God--htat it, he has been placed outside the community of God's covenant. More than this, he has done so "on our behalf."

In his death he has exhausted the poewr of the law to segregate people from the covenant. It is not accidental that in constructing his argument Paul refers to "Christ" bearing the "curse," for this places in provocative juxtaposition two profoundly contradictory images: the one "anointed by God" is the one "cursed by God." If Jesus has identified with humanity in having been placed outside the covenant of God's people as one who bears the divine curse, his divine "anointing" signifies the acceptance of the "outsider," both Jew and Gentile. The death of Christ thus marks the new eon in which Gentiles may be embraced, in Christ, as children of Abraham. (The Nature of the Atonement, 4 Views, p. 171; emphasis original).

Note the following:

Quote:
If Jesus has identified with humanity in having been placed outside the covenant of God's people as one who bears the divine curse ...

This is exactly the idea I presented!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104357
11/08/08 10:48 PM
11/08/08 10:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
How do you understand this quote, MM?

Quote:
He holds before the Father the censer of His own merits, in
which there is no taint of earthly corruption. He gathers into this censer the prayers, the praise, and the confessions of His people, and with these He puts His own spotless righteousness.

This is speaking of believers. I know you wouldn't call the earthly corruption a sinful nature, because you are a post-lapsarian. So what is it?

You seem to think that you don't have any trace of selfishness. I think that's an exceedingly dangerous position to take.

Tom, you have no right to accuse of me of anything. This isn't about me or you, it's about the biblical description of a believer abiding in Jesus. Again, where in the Bible or the SOP does it say the righteousness of believers who are abiding in Jesus is tainted with traces of selfishness? In the quote you posted above she doesn't say the righteousness of believers is tainted with the sin of selfishness.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Mountain Man] #104376
11/09/08 01:11 AM
11/09/08 01:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, Rosagela asked you:

Quote:
For instance, is it impossible that you have traces of selfishness in your motivations of which you are unaware?

You're answer was an implied "no." I wrote "seem" because your answer was an implicit "no," not an explicit one. So if you don't really mean "no," please explain that. If you really do mean "no," then conscience compels me to warn you that I believe this to be an exceedingly dangerous position to take. Not only do I have the right to warn you of this, but I have the duty to do so.

I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm simply reading what you wrote, and inferring something from that. I hope my inference is incorrect, and I'll be able to apologize for misunderstanding your meaning.

You didn't answer my question regarding the quote I presented. I asked you what you think it means. I didn't assert a meaning for it, but asked your opinion.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104421
11/09/08 06:18 PM
11/09/08 06:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Again, where in the Bible or the SOP does it say the righteousness of believers who are abiding in Jesus is tainted with traces of selfishness? In the quote you posted above she doesn't say the righteousness of believers is tainted with the sin of selfishness.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104487
11/10/08 02:06 PM
11/10/08 02:06 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
If you wish to contend that "righteous" means "keeping the law perfectly one's whole life," I've offered suggestions on how to show this. Either find something by a 1st century Jew which explains "righteous" in this way, or cite an authority of ancient Judiasm.

I’ve presented clear evidence that the word “righteous” is used in this sense by first-century Jews.
I’ve showed how the belief of many of the Pharisees was that their entire lives had been flawless, and how the rabbis thought the biblical heroes had never sinned. Although clearly wrong, these notions were based on the concept that righteousness is perfect obedience to the law during one’s whole life.
This concept, in its turn, was obviously based on the biblical statement (in Deuteronomy) that those who do not obey the law perfectly are under a curse of death - that is, they are lost. Paul later expands on this, arguing that we are only freed from this curse by Christ’s bearing of it.
Finally, Ellen White confirms this concept by saying that the law cannot forgive, and that the debt of sin we have incurred remains, condemning us to death, even if we try to obey the law in the future. Christ came to pay that debt for the sinner which it was impossible for him to pay for himself. Thus, I believe Ellen White was expressing a biblical concept, and not a modern western concept completely unrelated to the Bible and foreign to it.
I don’t think I have anything else to add about this.

Quote:
R: This may be apparently unrelated, but how do you explain the verse “One has died for all; therefore all have died” (2 Cor 5:14)?
T: I see it as expressing the same thought as this: “To the death of Christ we owe even this earthly life.” (DA 660)
R: Sorry, I didn’t get it. In which sense have all died?
T: The KJV has "then all were dead." Iow, all would be dead if Christ had not died. Or, to use EGW's language, to the death of Christ we owe even this earthly life.

Both sentences use the same verb in the same tense, voice and mood (died/died). But let’s translate it in the second sentence as “were dead,” as you wish.
Ara, the conjunction connecting the two sentences, means “therefore, so then, wherefore”.
What the verse says is:
If one has died for all, then all were dead.
What you want it to mean is:
If one hadn’t died for all, then all would be dead.
Therefore, the verse is saying the opposite of what you wish it to say. The first verb should be in the negative, and the second one in the subjunctive mood, for the verse to mean what you wish it to mean.

Quote:
R: At this point Lucifer hadn't yet broken the law in defiance of God's will, as man did.
T: I don't see how it's possible to assert this.

Because Ellen White says it clearly:

“Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him.” {DA 761.5}

When Satan chose to follow his own will there was no more that God could do to save him. Obviously he hadn’t chosen to follow his own will before that. And obviously it was when he chose to follow his own will that he defied God’s will.

Quote:
R: How is it that a sin I confessed ten years ago is still in my character (since it is registered in heaven)? Did God remove it or not?
T: If you confessed it with a contrite heart, then, according to TM 92, God removed it.

Is it still in the registries of heaven or not?

Quote:
R: and there was no debt which was impossible for the sinner to pay for himself. If I understand you correctly, it is the sinner who pays the debt when he confesses his sin.
T: No, Christ paid the debt. When the sin is confessed with a contrite heart, God will remove it (TM 92). I don't see why you would construe this as the sinner paying a debt.

What exactly is the debt that Christ paid and how did He pay it?

Quote:
R: What we are discussing is pardon after fall.
T: I wasn't.

Comparing pardon in two completely unrelated circumstances (before fall/after fall) is impossible.

Quote:
I didn't say his situation was the same. I said if it is necessary for God to have death in order to be able to pardon someone for sin, He couldn't have offered Lucifer pardon, since no one had died.

Death was the penalty for willful disobedience, that is, for the choice of following one’s independent will instead of God’s will (which would mean a fall from allegiance). At the point Lucifer was offered pardon, he hadn’t yet made this choice.

Quote:
You made an argument which is totally invalid.

My logic is valid and proves that your argument is invalid.

All of Satan’s accusations are based on false premises.
Accusations based on false premises don’t need to be refuted (your argument).
Therefore, none of Satan’s accusations need to be refuted.

Quote:
You said, "the fact that the Jews physically crucified Christ has nothing to do with our salvation."
So I asked you, "This is because you see the only thing about the cross that has to do with our salvation is that Christ's death paid a debt for our sins?" What's your answer please.

No, I don’t think it has to do with that. What I see about the cross that has to do with my salvation is that the shame Jesus bore for me, the physical sufferings He bore, the agony He bore – all this shows the width and length and depth and height of His love for me. As Ellen White points out, the Jews didn’t need to have any part in Christ's crucifixion – if they hadn’t killed Christ the enemies of God would have done that. So, the fact that they did it is entirely their responsibility and entirely their sin (this, of course, refers to the Jews of that generation only).

Quote:
I don't see the punishment of either Lucifer or man as something arbitrarily inflicted upon them by God (which appears to me to be how you are looking at this) but rather being the consequence of their respective actions.

This doesn't make matters better. Lucifer had more light than Adam, so his responsibility was greater. Therefore, if his sin had been graver than Adam’s, so would have been the consequences of it. Unless the universe that God created is unjust. Which would lead us, again, to the conclusion that God is unjust.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #104530
11/11/08 05:53 AM
11/11/08 05:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:If you wish to contend that "righteous" means "keeping the law perfectly one's whole life," I've offered suggestions on how to show this. Either find something by a 1st century Jew which explains "righteous" in this way, or cite an authority of ancient Judiasm.

R:I’ve presented clear evidence that the word “righteous” is used in this sense by first-century Jews.

Where? That is, where is the word "righteous" used to mean "keep the law perfectly one's whole life"? I'm referring here specifically to the word "righteous."

Quote:
I’ve showed how the belief of many of the Pharisees was that their entire lives had been flawless

Not at all! Have you ever met anyone who has this idea? I doubt anyone in the history of man, not counting Christ or mentally unstable people, have had the idea that in their whole life they never did anything wrong.

Quote:
and how the rabbis thought the biblical heroes had never sinned.

And I pointed out that even if this were true, this wouldn't mean that "righteous" means "keeping the law perfectly one's whole life." Indeed, the author of this article spoke of how these people believed the Bible heroes to have lives which were "extraordinarily righteous." Now the phrase "extraordinarily righteous" makes sense according to the standard definitions of "righteous" (I presented 6 or 7 of these), but doesn't make any sense according to your idea, which would be all or nothing to start with. You've not presented any source whatsoever as citing a Jewish definition of "righteous" as "perfectly keeping the law one's whole life," have you?

Quote:
Although clearly wrong, these notions were based on the concept that righteousness is perfect obedience to the law during one’s whole life.

The idea was based on the Bible heroes being very good, not on the definition of "righteous" being "keeping the law perfectly one's whole life." I'm not following how you're coming to this conclusion.

Ellen White's comments have nothing to do with what "righteous" would have meant for a 1st century Jew. Unless you can present something saying, "I was shown that 1st century Jews understood 'righteous' as meaning ..."

Regarding 2 Cor. 5:14, do you have some point to make? If so, what is it?

You asked me what I thought it meant. I told you. I think it means the same thing that EGW is saying here:

Quote:
Our Lord has said, "Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you. . . . For My flesh is meat indeed, and My blood is drink indeed." John 6:53-55. This is true of our physical nature. To the death of Christ we owe even this earthly life.(DA 660)

I believe this reasoning is born out by the context. Paul recognized that he owed all that he had to the death of Christ. If it weren't for Christ, he would be death. He owed even his earthly life to Christ. Let's look at what he says immediately following:

Quote:
And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.(2 Cor. 5:15)

Paul felt gratitude for Christ's death, which gave him life. Because of Christ's death, we are alive, and Paul argued that we should live for Him who gave Himself for us.

Quote:
R: At this point Lucifer hadn't yet broken the law in defiance of God's will, as man did.

“Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him.” {DA 761.5}

When Satan chose to follow his own will there was no more that God could do to save him. Obviously he hadn’t chosen to follow his own will before that.

The fact that someone, at some point, follows his own independent will in no way implies that before this point he wasn't following his own independent will.

Let's just look at some things she writes:

Quote:
Satan was envious and jealous of Jesus Christ. Yet when all the angels bowed to Jesus to acknowledge his supremacy and high authority and rightful rule, Satan bowed with them; but his heart was filled with envy and hatred.(1 SP 18)

Whose will was Satan following here, if not his own? Was it God's will that Satan's heart was filled with envy and hatred?

Quote:
Leaving his place in the immediate presence of God, Lucifer went forth to diffuse the spirit of discontent among the angels.

Whose will is Lucifer following here, if not his own?

Quote:
He was not immediately degraded from his exalted station when he first indulged the spirit of discontent, nor even when he
began to present his false claims before the loyal angels.(GC 495)

Whose will was Lucifer following here if not his own?

Quote:
R: How is it that a sin I confessed ten years ago is still in my character (since it is registered in heaven)? Did God remove it or not?
T: If you confessed it with a contrite heart, then, according to TM 92, God removed it.

R:Is it still in the registries of heaven or not?

Is it removed, or not?

Quote:
R: and there was no debt which was impossible for the sinner to pay for himself. If I understand you correctly, it is the sinner who pays the debt when he confesses his sin.
T: No, Christ paid the debt. When the sin is confessed with a contrite heart, God will remove it (TM 92). I don't see why you would construe this as the sinner paying a debt.

R:What exactly is the debt that Christ paid and how did He pay it?

I've quoted C. S. Lewis in response to this a couple of times. It would make this post too long to quote it here, but I like his thoughts. Also Fifield's:

Quote:
But let me state it: Jesus Christ is not the price paid to the Father for our pardon; but he is the price which the Father paid to bring us to a repentant attitude of mind, so that he could pardon us freely.

Quote:
R: What we are discussing is pardon after fall.
T: I wasn't.

R:Comparing pardon in two completely unrelated circumstances (before fall/after fall) is impossible.

Comparing pardon in two completely related circumstances -- after having sinned -- is very possible. God offered to pardon Lucifer his sin under the condition of repentance and submission. This is the same offer He makes to man. You're focusing on the wrong word-pair. The focus should be on the word-pair "sin/pardon" not "fall/pardon."

Quote:
R:My logic is valid and proves that your argument is invalid.

All of Satan’s accusations are based on false premises.
Accusations based on false premises don’t need to be refuted (your argument).
Therefore, none of Satan’s accusations need to be refuted.

How does this prove my argument is invalid? What's your proof that your first premise is true? (that all of Satan's accusations are based on false premises)

*If* it were true that all of Satan's arguments were based on false premises, then, obviously, all that would be necessary would be to show that these premises are false. Indeed, to show anything other than this would be pointless.

If you argue: "Because pentagons have 3 sides, they have fewer sides than squares" once it has been established that the premise is false, and that pentagons really have 5 sides, there's no point to arguing anything further.

Quote:
No, I don’t think it has to do with that. What I see about the cross that has to do with my salvation is that the shame Jesus bore for me, the physical sufferings He bore, the agony He bore – all this shows the width and length and depth and height of His love for me. As Ellen White points out, the Jews didn’t need to have any part in Christ's crucifixion – if they hadn’t killed Christ the enemies of God would have done that. So, the fact that they did it is entirely their responsibility and entirely their sin (this, of course, refers to the Jews of that generation only).

She writes that the books of heaven record the sins we would have committed had we had the opportunity. Why would we be any better than the Jews? Apart from the grace of God, we would have acted just like they did. There's a valuable spiritual lesson involved in perceiving this.

Quote:
T:I don't see the punishment of either Lucifer or man as something arbitrarily inflicted upon them by God (which appears to me to be how you are looking at this) but rather being the consequence of their respective actions.

R:This doesn't make matters better.

Yes it does! It makes all the difference in the world!

If the things which happens are not arbitrarily imposed, but rather the consequences of choices that are made, then we can understand God's actions as being involved with trying to get His creatures to not do things which are harmful to themselves, as opposed to trying to get them to avoid behavior which will lead to His killing them. That's a big difference!

Quote:
Lucifer had more light than Adam, so his responsibility was greater. Therefore, if his sin had been graver than Adam’s, so would have been the consequences of it. Unless the universe that God created is unjust. Which would lead us, again, to the conclusion that God is unjust.

But Satan will suffer more than any other creature when he suffers the consequences of his choices. So where is the injustice? The only thing God did was to postpone the consequences, for the reasons pointed out here:

Quote:
Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.(DA 764)

God have very good reasons to postpone allowing Satan to reap the full result of his sin, in which case he would have perished. Here death is described as "the inevitable result of sin." I don't see the injustice here.

One final comment. You write:

Quote:
if his sin had been graver than Adam’s

If? You have some doubt about this? Here's a description of what Satan did:

Quote:
Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness.(DA 21)

Here's a description of what Adam did:

Quote:
He (Adam) resolved to share her fate; if she must die, he would die with her. After all, he reasoned, might not the words of the wise serpent be true? Eve was before him, as beautiful and apparently as innocent as before this act of disobedience. She expressed greater love for him than before. No sign of death appeared in her, and he decided to brave the consequences. He seized the fruit and quickly ate. (PP 56)

I don't see how anyone could perceive this latter paragraph as describing graver sin than the former one.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104541
11/11/08 06:46 PM
11/11/08 06:46 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Regarding 2 Cor. 5:14, do you have some point to make? If so, what is it?

That Gal. 3:13 and 2 Cor. 5:14 are complementary. The liability to the curse is removed from those who are united by faith to Christ because Christ took on Himself the curse which the Law pronounces on the law-breaker. If one died for all, then all died. In Christ I am as if I had borne the curse and, therefore, I become free from it.

In Christ we are as if we had suffered the penalty we have incurred. In Christ I am as if I had obeyed, and rendered perfect obedience to the law, which we can not perfectly obey without Christ imparts to us His merits and His righteousness. O, the plan of salvation is a wonderful matter, and we have enough to think of, and talk of, and to be thankful for every day of our lives.” {PUR, September 4, 1913 par. 3}

Quote:

T: The fact that someone, at some point, follows his own independent will in no way implies that before this point he wasn't following his own independent will.

Tom, the text is clear enough. At the moment he chose to follow his own selfish, independent will, this choice was final. She is not saying at all that he chose to follow his own selfish, independent will several times, and at some point the choice became final.

Quote:
Whose will was Satan following here, if not his own?

The point was not if he was following his own will, but if he was making a conscious choice to follow his own will after understanding all that was involved in this.

Quote:
R:Is it still in the registries of heaven or not?
T: Is it removed, or not?

It’s removed from my life, but not from the registries of heaven.

Quote:
R:What exactly is the debt that Christ paid and how did He pay it?
T: I've quoted C. S. Lewis in response to this a couple of times. It would make this post too long to quote it here, but I like his thoughts.

If I’m not mistaken C. S. Lewis considers the debt to be repentance, surrender of the will, death (to self?). I don’t know how this could be the debt. The debt is the curse the law pronounces on the law-breaker, and this curse is eternal death.

Quote:
R: Comparing pardon in two completely unrelated circumstances (before fall/after fall) is impossible.
T: Comparing pardon in two completely related circumstances -- after having sinned -- is very possible.

There are two kinds of sin here - one which necessarily led to a fall, the other which didn't.

Quote:
What's your proof that your first premise is true? (that all of Satan's accusations are based on false premises)

This is a self-evident truth. Can any accusation against God be based on a true premise?

Quote:
She writes that the books of heaven record the sins we would have committed had we had the opportunity.

Of course she refers to sins we planned to commit but couldn’t commit for lack of opportunity.

Quote:
Why would we be any better than the Jews? Apart from the grace of God, we would have acted just like they did. There's a valuable spiritual lesson involved in perceiving this.

Apart from the grace of God, I could be one of those criminals who are in jail. But I’m not responsible for the crimes they committed.

Quote:
R: Lucifer had more light than Adam, so his responsibility was greater. Therefore, if his sin had been graver than Adam’s, so would have been the consequences of it. Unless the universe that God created is unjust. Which would lead us, again, to the conclusion that God is unjust.
T: But Satan will suffer more than any other creature when he suffers the consequences of his choices. So where is the injustice?

Again, I’m referring to his pre-fall sin, in case he had been pardoned, like Adam was. You are saying his sin was graver than Adam’s. How can this make sense? If Lucifer had been forgiven, he wouldn’t have experienced any bad consequences for a supposedly much graver sin, while Adam, although forgiven, experienced a series of very bad consequences for a supposedly lesser sin. According to this reasoning, either God is unjust or the universe He created is unjust (which also makes Him unjust).

Quote:
I don't see how anyone could perceive this latter paragraph as describing graver sin than the former one.

1) the first paragraph doesn't make a distinction between what happened before and after Lucifer's fall.
2) during a long time Lucifer didn't understand he was wrong, nor what would be the result of his course. He had to be convinced that he was in the wrong. Adam had Lucifer's fall to warn him, he knew the laws of Paradise and the penalties for their transgression; he knew that what he was doing was wrong, but did it nonetheless. Therefore, his sin was equivalent to the sin of Lucifer in his final decision, not to his sin before that.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #104544
11/11/08 08:25 PM
11/11/08 08:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
That Gal. 3:13 and 2 Cor. 5:14 are complementary. The liability to the curse is removed from those who are united by faith to Christ because Christ took on Himself the curse which the Law pronounces on the law-breaker. If one died for all, then all died. In Christ I am as if I had borne the curse and, therefore, I become free from it.

The "all died" would be every human being, then, wouldn't it? Since this is something which happened in the past, it can't apply only to believers, since they didn't exist yet. Iow, Christ would be corporately dying for the human race. This is the same idea that EGW expressed in saying, "To the death of Christ we owe even our earthly life." Not only believers owe their physical life to the death of Christ, but all men do. Paul recognized this debt, and argued that we should be grateful because of this sacrifice of Christ.

Quote:
Tom, the text is clear enough.

I agree! The text says that Lucifer followed his own selfish, independent will. *Not* that he *began* to do this at the time he made his final decision, which seems to be your interpretation of events. Clearly Lucifer was following his own selfish, independent will the entire time he was hating Christ, envious of Him, plotting to exalt himself, and so forth.

Quote:
At the moment he chose to follow his own selfish, independent will, this choice was final. She is not saying at all that he chose to follow his own selfish, independent will several times, and at some point the choice became final.

If what you were saying were true, then whose will was he following when he was doing the things I listed?

Quote:
The point was not if he was following his own will, but if he was making a conscious choice to follow his own will after understanding all that was involved in this.

Up until now your argument was based on her saying that Satan chose to follow his own independent will. Now I understand you are agreeing with the point I have been making, which is that whole time Lucifer was doing the things I listed he was following his own selfish, independent will.

Now you're making an additional point, which is that the salient point is not simply that Lucifer was following his own selfish, independent will, but that he chose to do so after understanding all that was involved. A counter to this point is simply that Adam didn't understand all that was involved when he rebelled. Indeed, Adam understood far less when he ate of the apple than Lucifer did during the time he was making false claims and seeking to exalt himself above God (I'm speaking of the time before Lucifer made his final decision).

Quote:
R:It’s removed from my life, but not from the registries of heaven.

I believe the books of heaven are a faithful representation of one's life.

Quote:
If I’m not mistaken C. S. Lewis considers the debt to be repentance, surrender of the will, death (to self?). I don’t know how this could be the debt. The debt is the curse the law pronounces on the law-breaker, and this curse is eternal death.

Here's the link: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mischedj/ca_lewisatone.html

It looks to me that C. S. Lewis is making the same point that Fifield makes:

Quote:
Jesus Christ is not the price paid to the Father for our pardon; but he is the price which the Father paid to bring us to a repentant attitude of mind, so that he could pardon us freely.

For example, C. S. Lewis speaks of our getting ourselves into a hole, and not being able to dig ourselves out, and of a debt being necessary in this sense. He says:

Quote:
Remember, this repentance, this willing submission to humiliation and a kind of death, is not something God demands of you before He will take you back and which He could let you off of if He chose: it is simply a description of what going back to Him is like. If you ask God to take you back without it, you are really asking Him to let you go back without going back. It cannot happen. Very well, then, we must go through with it. But the same badness which makes us need it, makes us unable to do it.

Fifield speaks of Christ's sacrifice being the price paid in order to bring us to a repentant attitude, so that He could pardon us freely. Lewis says that there is a description of what must be done, be we are unable to do it of ourselves. Both are conceiving of the price as not an arbitrary legal requirement, but as a description of reality, which reality cannot be realized without Christ's death.

Quote:
There are two kinds of sin here - one which necessarily led to a fall, the other which didn't.

This seems like not a helpful way of looking at things. The sin that led to the fall of Adam was clearly very different in nature than the final sin that led to the fall of Lucifer. At any rate, this seems not to have to do with the point I have been making, which is that if God is unable to forgive sin without someone being killed, then He wouldn't have been able to forgive Lucifer.

Quote:
What's your proof that your first premise is true? (that all of Satan's accusations are based on false premises)

This is a self-evident truth. Can any accusation to God be based on a true premise?

Yes, an accusation against God can be based on a false premise. An argument can be constructed like this:

a.True premise
b.Invalid reasoning resulting in an accusation against God.

Quote:
T:She writes that the books of heaven record the sins we would have committed had we had the opportunity.

R:Of course she refers to sins we planned to commit but couldn’t commit for lack of opportunity.

Regarding Christ's prayer, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do," she writes:

Quote:
That prayer of Christ for His enemies embraced the world. It took in every sinner that had lived or should live, from the beginning of the world to the end of time. Upon all rests the guilt of crucifying the Son of God.(DA 745)

Now this is dealing with the actual act of crucifying Christ, not simply our sins being upon Him. We are all guilty of crucifying the Son of God. Why? Because the acts of those who actually crucified Christ are the acts of humanity. We are no better than the ones who actually crucified Christ. But for the grace of God, we would have done the same thing, had we had the opportunity.

Quote:
T:Why would we be any better than the Jews? Apart from the grace of God, we would have acted just like they did. There's a valuable spiritual lesson involved in perceiving this.

R:Apart from the grace of God, I could be one of those criminals who are in jail. But I’m not responsible for the crimes they committed.

Of course not. Why are you making this point?

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104546
11/11/08 08:46 PM
11/11/08 08:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Again, I’m referring to his pre-fall sin, in case he had been pardoned, like Adam was. You are saying his sin was graver than Adam’s. How can this make sense? If Lucifer had been forgiven, he wouldn’t have experienced any bad consequences for a supposedly much graver sin, while Adam, although forgiven, experienced a series of very bad consequences for a supposedly lesser sin. According to this reasoning, either God is unjust or the universe He created is unjust (which also makes Him unjust).

Ok, so you're saying, if God had forgiven Lucifer, then he would not have suffered. Yet Adam suffered greatly, for what I'm claiming is a lesser sin. How could this be just?

The first thing that comes to mind is that had Lucifer accepted God's offer of pardon, there would have been no sin to compare it against, as Adam's sin would not have happened. So this is a hypothetical question involving a comparison of two things which could not have both happened.

Quote:
1) the first paragraph doesn't make a distinction between what happened before and after Lucifer's fall.

I was only considering things which happened before Lucifer's fall. I had written out a description of the specific things previously. A quick recap:

a.His heart was filled with envy and hatred of Christ.
b.He sought to exalt himself above God.
c.In order to do so, he presented false claims against God.
d.He indulged a spirit of discontent
e.He masked his true intent of self-exaltation under a guise of reverence for God.

These are all things he did before his final decision to rebel. All of the above was forgivable.

Quote:
2) during a long time Lucifer didn't understand he was wrong, nor what would be the result of his course. He had to be convinced that he was in the wrong. Adam had Lucifer's fall to warn him, he knew the laws of Paradise and the penalties for their transgression; he knew that what he was doing was wrong, but did it nonetheless. Therefore, his sin was equivalent to the sin of Lucifer in his final decision, not to his sin before that.

No, Adam's sin was not equivalent. Not at all. For one thing, if it were equivalent, Adam could not have been forgiven.

What happened in Lucifer's case is that he sinned over and over again against greater and greater light, until he hardened his heart to such a great extent it was no longer for Lucifer to be pardoned. God did not arbitrarily withdraw an offer of pardon, but Lucifer lost the desire and capacity to repent, after refusing to do so so many times.

In the case of Adam, Adam knew he had been told not to eat of the forbidden fruit, but he had much less of a concept of this being wrong than Lucifer did in terms of what he was doing. I mean, just look at the situation! In Adam's case, Eve was going to die. Adam resolved not to allow Eve to die alone. It's not at all an easy thing to see that this is wrong, even today. That is, even today many would question if what Adam did was wrong. His action was motivated by self-sacrifice.

Now I'm not saying Adam's decision wasn't wrong, but that many question this, and that it was motivated by self-sacrifice, a good motivation. Otoh, Lucifer's actions from the get go were motivated by a selfish desire to be exalt himself. No one would argue that Lucifer's decisions were not wrong.

On the one hand we have:
a.A creature resolving to sacrifice himself because of love for another

On the other we have:
b.A creature seeking to exalt himself, hiding behind a guise of reverence, using deception to get his desires, and motivate not by self-sacrifice but by envy and hatred.

IMO a theology which leads one to see Adam's actions as worse than Lucifer's needs to be seriously questioned. That is, there must be something wrong with the assumptions one is taking to arrive at such a place. Lucifer's actions were reprehensible. Adam's were bad, but understandable.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #104585
11/13/08 09:59 PM
11/13/08 09:59 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
The "all died" would be every human being, then, wouldn't it?

No, it wouldn’t. It’s like in Rom. 5:18, “Therefore as by the offense of one, judgment to condemnation came upon all men, even so by the righteousness of One, the free gift unto justification of life came upon all men.” It’s true that the gift of justification came upon all men, but it is made effective by faith – so only those who have faith are justified. In the same way, it’s true that all died in Christ, but this gift is also made effective by faith – so only those who are united by faith with Christ are considered to have died in Him.
If Christ had paid the death penalty for all men and faith was not necessary to make this effective, then all would be saved.

Quote:
R: The point was not if he was following his own will, but if he was making a conscious choice to follow his own will after understanding all that was involved in this.
T: Up until now your argument was based on her saying that Satan chose to follow his own independent will. Now I understand you are agreeing with the point I have been making, which is that whole time Lucifer was doing the things I listed he was following his own selfish, independent will.

Lucifer had not been following the will of God, of course, but his own will. However, he didn’t have a clear notion about the result of persisting in revolt, he didn't think he was wrong, and he didn't think the divine statutes were just. But when he finally understood all that, and even so he chose to follow his own will – it was a conscious choice after God had given him enough light to make an intelligent decision. Therefore, this was a defiant, presumptuous sin.

“He was made to see what would be the result of persisting in revolt. Lucifer was convinced that he was in the wrong. He saw that the divine statutes are just, and that he ought to acknowledge them as such before all heaven. ... The time had come for a final decision; he must fully yield to the divine sovereignty or place himself in open rebellion.” -- PP 39.

Adam also had enough light to make a decision, so his sin was also a defiant, presumptuous sin.

"To Adam and Eve were plainly stated the laws of Paradise, with the penalty for willful disobedience. They disobeyed, and disobedience brought its sure result." {HP 153.2}

"The words of Christ are both explicit and comprehensive. 'Whosoever... shall break one of these least commandments'--willfully or presumptuously, as did Adam and Eve--is included in the condemnation.” {ST, September 4, 1884 par. 11}

"God's law appeals to man as an intelligent being; he possesses a mind to understand its demands, a conscience to feel the power of its claims, a heart to love its requirement of perfect righteousness, a will to render prompt and implicit obedience. God does not compel men to render obedience to his law. If man purposes to defy God, and transgress his law, as did Adam, he may do so, but he must suffer the terrible consequences" {ST, May 12, 1890 par. 6}

Notice that it is said about both that they refused to obey the law:

“Evil originated with the rebellion of Lucifer. It was brought into heaven when he refused allegiance to God's law. Satan was the first lawbreaker.” {RH, June 4, 1901 par. 3}

“By rebellion and apostasy man forfeited the favor of God; ... The moment the workmanship of God refused obedience to the laws of God's kingdom, that moment he became disloyal to the government of God.” {FW 21.1}

Adam still had Satan’s fall and its results to warn him, so he made a very conscious choice.

Quote:
That is, even today many would question if what Adam did was wrong. His action was motivated by self-sacrifice.

Self-sacrifice? This was idolatry! He put his wife above his Creator. He also put Satan’s words above God’s words.

Quote:
Ok, so you're saying, if God had forgiven Lucifer, then he would not have suffered. Yet Adam suffered greatly, for what I'm claiming is a lesser sin. How could this be just?
The first thing that comes to mind is that had Lucifer accepted God's offer of pardon, there would have been no sin to compare it against, as Adam's sin would not have happened. So this is a hypothetical question involving a comparison of two things which could not have both happened.

Ellen White tells us what would have happened if Lucifer had accepted God’s offer of pardon, so we can compare what would have happened to him with what happened with Adam after Adam accepted God’s offer of pardon. This is not hypothetical and it’s a legitimate comparison.

Quote:
R: It’s removed from my life, but not from the registries of heaven.
T: I believe the books of heaven are a faithful representation of one's life.

The investigative judgment happens exactly to blot out the sins repented of and forgiven. If they have already been blotted out, there is no need for an investigative judgment.

Quote:
It looks to me that C. S. Lewis is making the same point that Fifield makes:

He is saying that the debt is repentance, surrender of the will, death to self, and that since Christ did all that, He can now do it in us. But the debt is not repentance, surrender of the will and death to self; the debt is the penalty of the law – eternal death.

Quote:
T: What's your proof that your first premise is true? (that all of Satan's accusations are based on false premises)
R: This is a self-evident truth. Can any accusation to God be based on a true premise?
T: Yes, an accusation against God can be based on a false premise.

You obviously mean a true premise. If that is the case, you should have no problem in listing the accusations based on true premises.

Quote:
Now this is dealing with the actual act of crucifying Christ, not simply our sins being upon Him. We are all guilty of crucifying the Son of God. Why? Because the acts of those who actually crucified Christ are the acts of humanity.

Again, I disagree with this. We all crucified Christ by our sins. But the acts of those who actually crucified Christ are only repeated (in fact, in a greater degree) by those who reject Him (Heb. 6:6, 10:29).

“In our day greater light and greater evidence is given. We have also their [the Jews’] example, the warnings and reproofs that were presented to them, and our sin and its retribution will be the greater, if we refuse to walk in the light. Many say, ‘If I had only lived in the days of Christ, I would not have wrested his words, or falsely interpreted his instruction. I would not have rejected and crucified him as did the Jews;’ but that will be proved by the way in which you deal with his message and his messengers today. The Lord is testing the people of today as much as he tested the Jews in their day. When he sends his messages of mercy, the light of his truth, he is sending the spirit of truth to you, and if you accept the message, you accept of Jesus. Those who declare that if they had lived in the days of Christ, they would not do as did the rejectors of his mercy, will today be tested. Those who live in this day are not accountable for the deeds of those who crucified the Son of God; but if with all the light that shone upon his ancient people, delineated before us, we travel over the same ground, cherish the same spirit, refuse to receive reproof and warning, then our guilt will be greatly augmented, and the condemnation that fell upon them will fall upon us, only it will be as much greater as our light is greater in this age than was their light in their age." {RH, April 11, 1893 par. 7}

Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!