HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,612
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 33 of 55 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #104424
11/09/08 06:55 PM
11/09/08 06:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I've already addressed the self-centered sin of self-pity. Ellen makes it thoroughly clear that no truly, genuinely born again believer is ignorant of the deleterious effects of self-pity. Even Rosangela, the basis of your example, admitted that she was at least vaguely aware of the sinfulness of self-pity. She merely justified indulging it because it required too much effort to rein it in.

Ellen speaks plenty about crucifying cultivated traits of character. She regularly reproved people for not reining in their hereditary and cultivated traits and tendencies. The fact people live in slavery to cultivated traits and tendencies is clear proof they haven't crucified them, hence the expression - "uncrucified cultivated traits of character".

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #104425
11/09/08 06:56 PM
11/09/08 06:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please read the following description of a Christian and then cite an example of a cultivated trait of character you think such people might practice ignorantly. Thank you.

"The man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works . . . {and} have received the knowledge of the truth . . . to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you . . . {who are} enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come . . . {who} abideth in him . . . {who} walk in the Spirit . . . {who are} partakers of the divine nature . . . {who have} escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust . . . {who} hath ceased from sin . . . {who} no longer {lives} the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God . . . {who} offend not in word . . . {who} doth not sin . . . {and} cannot sin."

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #104439
11/09/08 07:57 PM
11/09/08 07:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Even Rosangela, the basis of your example, admitted that she was at least vaguely aware of the sinfulness of self-pity.

Was she born again at this point? She says she was. I believe her.

That she was vaguely aware of it is exactly my point. There are all sorts of things we are vaguely aware of, but until it is clear to us that we are doing wrong, it's not a known sin.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #104499
11/10/08 03:42 PM
11/10/08 03:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Born again people can indulge sinful practices. They do not lose the ability to sin. Also, Rosangela confessed she knew it was wrong to indulge the self-centered sin of self-pity, but she chose to do so anyhow, justifying her actions blaming it on weakness. The point is, self-pity is not an example of a sin that properly indoctrinated SDA believers might indulge without realizing they are guilty of wrongdoing. Nor is it an example of a sin that people described above might indulge ignorantly.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #104500
11/10/08 03:44 PM
11/10/08 03:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Ellen speaks plenty about crucifying cultivated traits of character. She regularly reproved people for not reining in their hereditary and cultivated traits and tendencies. The fact people live in slavery to cultivated traits and tendencies is clear proof they haven't crucified them, hence the expression - "uncrucified cultivated traits of character". Does this make sense to you?

PS - Please address #104425. Or else tell me why you are ignoring it. Thank you.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #104508
11/10/08 09:54 PM
11/10/08 09:54 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I'll give another example, although I'm not sure it will be understood. Since I was a very small child I had been addicted to soap operas. Finding reality too hard to deal with, I developed a tendency to flee from it by watching soap operas and reading romances. When I joined the church (although I hadn't yet been born again) I of course quit doing these things for a sense of Christian duty, if for no other reason. However, if I occasionally turned on the TV, for instance, to watch the news, and it happened to be still showing a soap opera, I couldn't keep my eyes away from the screen. It was stronger than I was. So now and then I succumbed to the temptation and watched some of the episodes, or, if I resisted the temptation to watch it, I had a species of compulsion which led me to read in a magazine or website what was going to happen in the next episodes. (Doesn't it sound ridiculous?) After I was born again, I obtained the victory over many of my sins, but I think I didn't consider that this was a problem, because I spent months or even more than a year without watching soap operas, only succumbing to the temptation occasionally (and every time I thought it wouldn't happen again). Until I realized that, although I did everything to resist the temptation, I still succumbed to it occasionally because I loved that thing. It brought me pleasure. I realized that it was an idol which had been hiding at some corner of my heart. I cried as I asked God, with all my heart, to remove from me the love for that sin. It seems silly, doesn't it, but this was very difficult for me. It was like if a part of myself was dying. And it was, and it hurt! But I finally experienced complete freedom from that thing. This happened some five or six years ago, more than 25 years after I was born again. See, for a long time I didn't realize that that sin was an idol, because most of the time I managed to stay away from it, and had only occasional relapses. But I praise the Lord for the patient work of the Holy Spirit in my life.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Rosangela] #104516
11/11/08 01:02 AM
11/11/08 01:02 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ah yes, novelas. My wife would listen to the "soap operas" on the radio when she was a kid. She learned Spanish from watching them.

For those not in the know, what Rosangela calls a "soap opera" is not like the soap operas we have here, which never end. It's more like an extended mini-series. They are shows that go on for a number of months, depending on how much of a following they get.

The word in Portuguese (and Spanish) is "novela" which in English is like "novel." The novel in English was originally in the form of magazine installments which came monthly. They were then put together as a book, and called "novels." Many of Dickens books, for example, were originally written this way.

I think this is a good example. Anything which becomes an all-absorbing interest could fall into this category.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #104517
11/11/08 01:05 AM
11/11/08 01:05 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The point is, self-pity is not an example of a sin that properly indoctrinated SDA believers might indulge without realizing they are guilty of wrongdoing.

Yet it is. Rosangela was a properly indoctrinated SDA who indulged in this without realizing she was guilty of wrongdoing. Having a vague sense of doing something wrong is not the same thing as realizing one is guilty of wrongdoing.

Is there any sin you would see as falling in this category? Are you saying that a properly indoctrinated SDA would not commit any sin (even unknown sins) assuming he is abiding in Jesus? It sounds like this is what you're saying.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #104587
11/13/08 11:40 PM
11/13/08 11:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, it sounds like you believed early on it was a sin to indulge soap operas. And, you viewed your occasional slips as indulging sin. My question for you is - Did you perceive the times you resisted the temptation to indulge soap operas as victories?

What is the difference between the victories you experience now and the victories you used to experience between lapses?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #104589
11/14/08 12:05 AM
11/14/08 12:05 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Rosangela, it sounds like you believed early on it was a sin to indulge soap operas. And, you viewed your occasional slips as indulging sin. My question for you is - Did you perceive the times you resisted the temptation to indulge soap operas as victories?

No, Mike, they seemed to me more like a sacrifice - if that was wrong, I shouldn't indulge in it, although I liked it.

Quote:
What is the difference between the victories you experience now and the victories you used to experience between lapses?

"Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."
They no longer have any appeal to me.

Page 33 of 55 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!