HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,639
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,125 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 27 of 32 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 31 32
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #104699
11/16/08 10:28 PM
11/16/08 10:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Does this apply to the numbered and sealed saints, the 144,000? If not, why not? And, why doesn't the same thing (whatever your answer is to the previous question) apply to properly, thoroughly indoctrinated SDAs now?

No, because the 144,000 understand the Gospel. When I say the Gospel, I mean as it began to be presented in 1888.

My questions regarding Jesus were because you wrote:

Quote:
M: Yes, they are full of defects and imperfections, but possessing them is not the same thing as cherishing them in thought or acting them out in word or deed.

and then started speaking of Jesus,

Quote:
In the same way Jesus inherited and possessed fallen traits and tendencies, so too they possess them.

which is a bit confusing, since it implies that Jesus "in the same way" was "full of defects and imperfections."

Quote:
T: I guess you don't think it's possible that a person could do or desire something with a wrong motivation without knowing it? For example, desire that Christ come to take us away in clouds of glory so our time in this sinful world could be cut short.

R:I see no sin in your example. Ellen often felt that way:

Ok. If you see no sin, you see no sin.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #104753
11/17/08 11:26 PM
11/17/08 11:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you understand the Gospel? Or, does the Gospel even exist yet? Are we waiting for God to reveal it?

Do you think Jesus inherited and possessed sinful flesh full of defects and imperfections?

What do you consider sin in your example?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #104754
11/17/08 11:27 PM
11/17/08 11:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Peter committed the same basic sin as he did earlier when Paul rebuked him.

I don't think the 144,000 will be ignorantly sinning.

Was Peter abiding in Jesus when he sinned against the Gentiles?

Has anyone this side of the 144,000 ever lived without sinning ignorantly? Besides Jesus, of course.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #104786
11/18/08 06:36 AM
11/18/08 06:36 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, do you understand the Gospel?

EGW said that the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission was the "revelation of God". I consider this mission of Christ, the revelation of God, to be the Gospel.

Quote:
Or, does the Gospel even exist yet? Are we waiting for God to reveal it?

Yes, it exists. God revealed it in Christ. The Gospel, or Good News, is about God.

Quote:
Do you think Jesus inherited and possessed sinful flesh full of defects and imperfections?

I wouldn't say Jesus was full of defects and imperfections. This is the language you used. You said, "Yes, they are full of defects and imperfections." I wouldn't say this of Jesus Christ.

His flesh was the flesh of humanity.

Quote:
Was Peter abiding in Jesus when he sinned against the Gentiles?

No. However, before he sinned, he may not have been aware of his prejudice. It is this unknown sin I was referring to.

Quote:
Has anyone this side of the 144,000 ever lived without sinning ignorantly? Besides Jesus, of course.

No. Everyone has sinned.

Quote:
What do you consider sin in your example?

Doing something with an egocentric motivation is an example.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #104839
11/18/08 11:57 PM
11/18/08 11:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. Tom, since the Gospel exists, since you understand it - does that mean you are as sinless as the 144,000 will be? If not, why not?

2. In what way was Jesus' human nature different than ours? Did His sinful flesh war against Him in the same way it wars against us? If not, why not?

3. Paul rebuked Peter for dissembling. By that time Peter was fully aware of the sinfulness of prejudicial feelings and behavior. Do I understand you correctly in saying you believe Peter was not abiding in Jesus when he dissembled?

4. Do you know of anyone who has ceased sinning? If so, who?

5. Do you think wanting to be in heaven to escape hell and hardships, to be free of temptations and trials, are selfish and sinful motives? If so, why?

SC 21
Motives stronger, and agencies more powerful, could never be brought into operation; the exceeding rewards for right-doing, the enjoyment of heaven, the society of the angels, the communion and love of God and His Son, the elevation and extension of all our powers throughout eternal ages--are these not mighty incentives and encouragements to urge us to give the heart's loving service to our Creator and Redeemer? {SC 21.3}

And, on the other hand, the judgments of God pronounced against sin, the inevitable retribution, the degradation of our character, and the final destruction, are presented in God's word to warn us against the service of Satan. {SC 21.4}

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #104847
11/19/08 12:42 AM
11/19/08 12:42 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.The Gospel is a black and white thing. There is more light to come:

Quote:
Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love. (COL 415)

The 1888 Message was the beginning of the "light which is to fill the world with glory." So that's a good starting point, but there's more to come.

Also, I've not claimed to "understand it." I will say that what I have understood of the Gospel has warmed my heart, and I've tried to share these concepts.

Quote:
2. In what way was Jesus' human nature different than ours? Did His sinful flesh war against Him in the same way it wars against us? If not, why not?

Why are you asking me this? You should know my answer to this. I just presented a quote on this subject which you noted.

Quote:
3. Paul rebuked Peter for dissembling. By that time Peter was fully aware of the sinfulness of prejudicial feelings and behavior. Do I understand you correctly in saying you believe Peter was not abiding in Jesus when he dissembled?

"Dissembled"? What do you mean? Whatever you mean by this term, I answered your question just above: "No. However, before he sinned, he may not have been aware of his prejudice. It is this unknown sin I was referring to."

Quote:
4. Do you know of anyone who has ceased sinning? If so, who?

Why are you asking this? How would I know if someone has ceased sinning? Isn't the only think I could attest to is that I never saw so-and-so sin? There's no way I could know what a person is doing when he's not in my presence, is there? Also, am I an infallible judge as to what is sin and what isn't?

Quote:
5. Do you think wanting to be in heaven to escape hell and hardships, to be free of temptations and trials, are selfish and sinful motives? If so, why?

They're at least childish. They're like the flower-girl at a wedding who has no desire for the groom, but is just there for the ice cream. One judge a child for such an attitude, but the bride of Christ should grow in love to desire *His* honor and glory; that's what will be motivating the 144,000, not an ego-centric desire to be in heaven or avoid hell.

The SC quotes are lowest-level appeals. There is a place for such appeals, especially for someone just coming to Christ (which is the context of her comments). The Bible has these types of appeals as well.

But there are higher-level appeals. For example:

Quote:
It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him.(DA 480)

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #105041
11/23/08 03:26 PM
11/23/08 03:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. Has God revealed everything we need to experience the gospel unto perfection? Or, is He withholding certain truths so that we cannot experience the gospel like the 144,000 will in the future?

2. Is the fact our nature wars against us an indication it is sinful, defective, and imperfect? Did Jesus' human nature war against Him in the same way it wars against us?

3. Peter "withdrew and separated himself" from the Gentiles. That is he "dissembled". See Galatians 2:12 and 13. Paul rebuked him. Do you believe Peter was ignorant of his sin at this time? And, do you believe he was abiding in Jesus when he dissembled?

4. Have you read about someone in the Bible who reached the point where they ceased sinning while abiding in Jesus?

5. When people respond to the "lowest-level appeals" are they guilty of sinning ignorantly, guilty of fostering selfish and sinful motives?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #105103
11/25/08 12:23 AM
11/25/08 12:23 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
1. Has God revealed everything we need to experience the gospel unto perfection? Or, is He withholding certain truths so that we cannot experience the gospel like the 144,000 will in the future?

Our reception of truth is not dependent solely upon what God reveals. For example, it depends upon the reception of that truth. For example, the beginning of the latter rain started in 1888, but that truth was not received. So this is not a matter of God's withholding something, but with what He has sent not being received.

Quote:
2. Is the fact our nature wars against us an indication it is sinful, defective, and imperfect? Did Jesus' human nature war against Him in the same way it wars against us?

I'm not sure why you're asking me this. Do you have some reason to think I would answer these questions differently than you would?

Quote:
3. Peter "withdrew and separated himself" from the Gentiles. That is he "dissembled". See Galatians 2:12 and 13. Paul rebuked him. Do you believe Peter was ignorant of his sin at this time? And, do you believe he was abiding in Jesus when he dissembled?

I addressed this.

Quote:
4. Have you read about someone in the Bible who reached the point where they ceased sinning while abiding in Jesus?

This question doesn't make sense to me. Could you rephrase it?

Quote:
5. When people respond to the "lowest-level appeals" are they guilty of sinning ignorantly, guilty of fostering selfish and sinful motives?

I would put it more in terms of their being "guilty" of being childish. When we first come to Christ, we have no choice but to respond to these lower level motivations, as this is all we know. But, as EGW points out:

Quote:
It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him.(DA 480)

This is what our motivation should be. No the "fear of punishment," nor the "hope of reward," but "the Saviour's matchless love" which awakens love in the heart of those who behold Christ.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #105136
11/25/08 05:03 PM
11/25/08 05:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. Has God revealed everything we need to know to experience the gospel fully like the 144,000 will? Or, is there more truth yet to be revealed? Can we experience the gospel now as fully as the 144,000 will?

2. Is the fact our nature wars against us an indication it is sinful, defective, and imperfect? Did Jesus' human nature war against Him in the same way it wars against us? I have no idea how you will answer this question.

3. Peter "withdrew and separated himself" from the Gentiles. That is he "dissembled". See Galatians 2:12 and 13. Paul rebuked him. Do you believe Peter was ignorant of his sin at this time? And, do you believe he was abiding in Jesus when he dissembled? I do not recall your answer to this question.

4. Have you read about someone in the Bible who reached the point where they ceased sinning while abiding in Jesus? Did anyone in the Bible stop sinning? Or, did everyone sin ignorantly in one way or another? Did they all die before attaining unto the sinlessness Adam enjoyed in Eden? "Everyone who by faith obeys God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. {HP 146.5}

5. People who are "guilty of being childish" are they required to eventually confess and repent of sin? Is it a sin to initially respond to the offer of salvation for selfish, childish, self-serving reasons? Does it represent an unknown sin?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #105150
11/25/08 09:01 PM
11/25/08 09:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I answered 1 in the post right above yours.

Regarding 2, yes, Jesus' human nature was like ours.

Regarding 3, that's too bad. I like the way I put it, but don't recall what I said. Maybe you can find it.

Regarding 4, I haven't asserted that people must go on sinning until they die. Since the Bible doesn't specifically address the points you are asking about (specific people), I can't address that. I'll say in general terms that I believe in victory over sin.

Regarding 5, this would depend upon the Holy Spirit, in terms of whether confession is required. It's not necessarily a sin to be childish, but to choose to remain childish after being shown a better alternative seems to me like it could be something one should repent of.

I think the original context for my remark was doing things from an egocentric motivation. That seems to me like sin. Do you disagree?

Page 27 of 32 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/20/24 12:54 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!