HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,304 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 37 of 71 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #104875
11/19/08 07:46 AM
11/19/08 07:46 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The people don't punish themselves: Sin kills them!

Quote:
"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," even so was the Son of man "lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:14, 15. All who have ever lived upon the earth have felt the deadly sting of "that old serpent, called the devil, and Satan." Revelation 12:9. The fatal effects of sin can be removed only by the provision that God has made. The Israelites saved their lives by looking upon the uplifted serpent. That look implied faith. They lived because they believed God's word, and trusted in the means provided for their recovery. So the sinner may look to Christ, and live. He receives pardon through faith in the atoning sacrifice. Unlike the inert and lifeless symbol, Christ has power and virtue in Himself to heal the repenting sinner.(PP 431)

From A. G. Maxwell:

Quote:
If you should find it necessary to keep some potent poison at your house, where would you put it? Where the children could readily find it? Or on the highest shelf in the garage?

“You absolutely must not touch that poison,” you warn the children. “Don’t even go near that shelf. If you disobey me, you’ll be severely punished.”

Some time later you hear an ominous crash. You rush out to the garage, and there on the floor is your son, the broken bottle beside him.

What would you do to your dying child? He has disobeyed you. Would it occur to you even for a moment that he should be put to death for his sin? He’s dying already.

You know that the poison works quickly. You don’t have much time. Would you waste precious moments scolding him for his disobedience? Would you insist that he repent and tell you he’s sorry. Would forgiveness keep him from dying?

You run to fetch the antidote. But your son refuses to take it, and you sadly watch him die.

What caused his death? You loved him. You forgave him. You offered him the antidote. But he still died.

Friends don’t see sin as a legal problem. They see it as working like poison. And they understand the plan of salvation as God’s offer of the antidote.

But what if we refuse the antidote? What happens to those who turn down the offer of salvation?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #104878
11/19/08 08:18 AM
11/19/08 08:18 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

I'm sad to hear you are a Sadducee, for with this view, you certainly must not believe in a resurrection from the dead.

Sin killed Adam and Eve. Sin killed Thomas Paine. What is the difference?

May God open your eyes,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #104881
11/19/08 02:54 PM
11/19/08 02:54 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Yes. The same is true of Sodom. In fact, the Bible states it quite nicely, as usual:

Matthew
24:37 But as the days of Noe [were], so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

It does sound like if we understand the first death of the one, we can understand the second death of the other?

Who were saved on the ark? Were sinners allowed on the ark? Why were those who didn't get on the ark lost? Was it because they couldn't have got on it?

Were all those on the ark righteous? Did their state of sinfulness have anything to do with them dying the first death or not? Was God, through Noah's preaching, attempting to save all who would come onto the ark, sinner or not? Could the coming flood not be affected by whether they got on or stayed off? If they got on the ark and God would save them in spite of their sin, would you call that being cruel when they chose not to heed the warnings of escaping the coming flood?

Quote:

24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
24:39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Who or what came to take them all away?

Quote:

God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked.

But you said before:
Quote:

Yes, He is pleased law and justice are served and satisfied, but not pleased sinners neglect heaven-sent opportunities for learning the way of peace and righteousness, not pleased they reject Jesus.

If law and justice result in the death of the wicked, and He is pleased law and justice are served, wouldn't it follow that He is pleased in the result of the death of the wicked?

Quote:
It serves as a deterrent against evil.

Sounds like the dictator mentality of there really being no choice.

Re: The Covenants [Re: kland] #104890
11/19/08 06:24 PM
11/19/08 06:24 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I'm sad to hear you are a Sadducee, for with this view, you certainly must not believe in a resurrection from the dead.

Well, I'm sad to hear you're a Pharisee! smile

Happily, both Sadducees and Pharisees can repent and be saved!

Quote:
Sin killed Adam and Eve. Sin killed Thomas Paine. What is the difference?

If you have the first death in mind, this isn't the death of sin.

Quote:
May God open your eyes,

Amen!

How about yours? May we pray, "May God open our eyes"?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #104918
11/20/08 04:33 AM
11/20/08 04:33 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
The people don't punish themselves: Sin kills them!

i dont really know what your ultimate point is but in these statements it does seem that the people do indeed punish themselves-as a result of sin.

Quote:
The spirit of rebellion, like a mighty torrent, again bursts forth. Filled with frenzy, he determines not to yield the great controversy. The time has come for a last desperate struggle against the King of Heaven. He rushes into the midst of his subjects, and endeavors to inspire them with his own fury, and arouse them to instant battle. But of all the countless millions whom he has allured into rebellion, there are none now to acknowledge his supremacy. His power is at an end. The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah. Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception. With the fury of demons they turn upon them, and there follows a scene of universal strife. {4SP 487.1}

Saith the Lord: "Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; behold, therefore I will bring strangers upon thee, the terrible of the nations: and they shall draw their swords against the beauty of thy wisdom, and they shall defile thy brightness. They shall bring thee down to the pit." "I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. . . . I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee. . . . I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee. . . . Thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more." Ezekiel 28:6-8, 16-19. {GC 672.1}

"Every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire."Then are fulfilled the words of the prophet: "The indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and his fury upon all their armies: he hath utterly destroyed them, he hath delivered them to the slaughter." [Isaiah 34:2.] "Upon the wicked he shall rain quick burning coals, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup." [Psalm 11:6. MARGIN.] Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. [Malachi 4:1.] The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. [2 Peter 3:10.] The fire of Tophet is "prepared for the king," the chief of rebellion; the pile thereof is deep and large, and "the breath of the Lord, like a stream of brimstone, doth kindle it." [Isaiah 30:33.] The earth's surface seems one molten mass,--a vast, seething lake of fire. It is the time of the judgment and perdition of ungodly men, --"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." [Isaiah 34:8.] {4SP 487.2}

i dont know how others read this, but it seems to me that when the wicked turn on satan and each other and there is "universal strife"- i read it to say they are literally killing each other off- that God ends it all by sending fire.

unless maybe we in the city want to stand by watching the bloodbath, and i seriously doubt that would be true. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Covenants [Re: teresaq] #104921
11/20/08 07:12 AM
11/20/08 07:12 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Commenting on Malachi 4:1, Ellen White comments:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764)

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #104923
11/20/08 02:11 PM
11/20/08 02:11 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Tom
The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764)

It could be interesting to explore what His glory means.

But right now, I wanted to address Mountain Man's view of God's character.

When a creationist looks at a fossil he says,
What fantastic organisms existed and were buried by the flood.

When an evolutionist looks at a fossil he says,
What fantastic organisms evolved during the billion of years in the past and then became no longer fit.

Both look at the same facts, but come to different conclusions. This is because they both have different presumptions. Likewise, you and I both read the same statements from the Bible and Ellen White, but come to different conclusions about God.

I didn't always have my current views about God. It wasn't in the distant past that a couple of people presented a differing view of God than what I always believed. At first, I wasn't too sure about it. I had believed that God is a loving God, but He only tolerates sinners for so long. After that, He will not only exterminate them, but will cause them to suffer and beg for mercy (that is, be ashamed for rejecting Him). But, unlike some beliefs, He won't torture them forever, but just long enough for the righteous to get satisfaction. Something didn't seem just right to me, but I felt I had better not question God and it was "better to be safe than sorry". Besides, I was told it, therefore I believed it, and what more was there to it.

However, after I was introduced to this different concept of God's character, some of the things which seemed a little conflicting to me are resolved. It makes sense, it clicks, it is like something you struggle with to figure out and someone suggests a different way of doing it and although you have not actually tried it yet, you know it will work. You may suggest at this point we should not logically analyze God's character, but I ask, why not? Didn't God give us minds to think with? Minds with which we may know Him?

The God I believe in now is a loving and kind God. One who came to save the world and not condemn it. A God whom I can trust. One who is non changing and consistent. One who meets every situation the same way, that no matter what unexpected crisis comes up, He doesn't have to implement emergency matters to meet them. A God whom the subjects feel safe with, who love Him not because the alternative is worse, not because they'll be tortured or threatened with extermination, but because at any time they know He will allow them to leave on their own free will. But just as they won't slap their mother nor even be tempted to because they love her, they will love Him and not want to leave Him. A God who we can know His character so well that when one imposes as Him, we will instantly know they are an impostor.

When we believe in a God who is not much different than a dictator other than, everything He does is "holy and just" therefore it must be ok, we run the risk of ourselves killing and torturing people if we think we are helping God out in being just. Indeed, that has happened with many, if not all, religions.

And that is my motivation for supporting my views of God from my presumed premise.

Mountain Man, what is your motivation for supporting your views of God?

Re: The Covenants [Re: kland] #104928
11/20/08 08:45 PM
11/20/08 08:45 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Very well written, kland. I had a similar experience to what you are describing.

Regarding the "glory" question, I suggest taking a look at DA 107,108. We can discuss this in more detail when you'd like to.

Re: The Covenants [Re: teresaq] #104935
11/21/08 12:46 AM
11/21/08 12:46 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
i dont know how others read this, but it seems to me that when the wicked turn on satan and each other and there is "universal strife"- i read it to say they are literally killing each other off- that God ends it all by sending fire.

unless maybe we in the city want to stand by watching the bloodbath, and i seriously doubt that would be true.

Ya, that looks right to me, too: God at once merciful & just. The texts are more abou+ destruction of the devil and the wicked in judgement, isn't it. God's active mercy for sinners & wrath against sin, plus retribution to each unrepentant sinner - ultimately the devil himself - for sins unforgiven.

Is no measure of our sense of justice reflective of originally being made in the image of God?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Colin] #104936
11/21/08 01:28 AM
11/21/08 01:28 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Quote:

unless maybe we in the city want to stand by watching the bloodbath, and i seriously doubt that would be true.

Ya, that looks right to me, too: God at once merciful & just. The texts are more abou+ destruction of the devil and the wicked in judgement, isn't it. God's active mercy for sinners & wrath against sin, plus retribution to each unrepentant sinner - ultimately the devil himself - for sins unforgiven.

Is no measure of our sense of justice reflective of originally being made in the image of God?

i was seeing it in a somewhat different light. i wasnt seeing it as "retribution", "destruction", "wrath against sin".

i was seeing it as God having no choice. at the second coming the wicked are out to kill Gods people til they see Him coming, then they turn on each other and theres is widespread slaughter and bloodshed. instead of repenting when they realized they had been deceived and were wrong they started blaming each other....

they same thing at the third coming. as they surround the city and then Christ appears above them they realize its hopeless. again, instead of being humbled and repenting they turn on each other. they would rather kill than repent.

so God has no choice but to end it all. the wicked have shown no matter how many chances they get they would prefer to murder, than repent.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Page 37 of 71 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!