HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,639
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Kevin H, dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,115 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 43 of 71 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #105406
12/01/08 07:58 PM
12/01/08 07:58 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

First of all, it is not a sin to hunt. Second, it does not violate the law to teach people how to hunt humanely.

hi brother, do you really believe that hunting is not a sin? if a person were hungry and there was nothing else to eat i might agree with you.

but are you speaking of the "sport"? i cannot imagine God in His heaven looking down and seeing the different hunting parties going after the different animals He created for us to enjoy and not crying His heart out!!

i believe in the eyes of God that hunting is one of the grossest sins there is. anyone who would take delight in hunting a defenseless, harmless creature minding its own busines for the thrill of killing....!!

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Covenants [Re: teresaq] #105416
12/01/08 09:37 PM
12/01/08 09:37 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
hi brother, do you really believe that hunting is not a sin? if a person were hungry and there was nothing else to eat i might agree with you.

but are you speaking of the "sport"? i cannot imagine God in His heaven looking down and seeing the different hunting parties going after the different animals He created for us to enjoy and not crying His heart out!!

i believe in the eyes of God that hunting is one of the grossest sins there is. anyone who would take delight in hunting a defenseless, harmless creature minding its own busines for the thrill of killing....!!

As a supporter of fox hunting, I'd better chip in here, without drawing this thread away from topic...

Killing foxes with dogs (now illegal) was instantaneous, and altogether humane - the alleged shaking of the fox was post-mortem, to educate the other hounds on the fox's scent. Hounds are the best guarantee of killing foxes without injuring them instead.

There is sport in a hunt, but it's not the sport of hunting, and that anyone thinks that is down to bias and very bad journalism. Landowners, principally farmers, make hunting possible, and facilitate the sport involved: hunt days once a month are the sport occasions, while there is hunting any day of the week, any time of day - without sport. Foxes are hunted purely to protect livestock, at a farmer's request, day or night, and then the hunt master and staff and dogs go out to deal with the potential threat to farm animals. Yes, the hounds and the staff are a business operated for and paid a fee by farmers.

Hunt days are horse riding across private land, fields, forests and fences/hedgerows, with the permission of the landowners, the same farmers who are protected by the commercial hunts: the pleasure of legally riding through private, secluded rural landscapes in a moderately large group of horse-riders, with fox hounds in tow, is the sport of fox hunting. There is also the matter of exercising the horses during these winter months - fox hunting has always only been allowed over the winter, as many of the horses in hunts across the country are race horses in the summer time, exercising as such and also practising jumping fences.

Foxes are also culled in this process, as is necessary to manage nature in Britain. There is a Christian stewardship angle to fox hunting...

That's the end of this excursion, probably.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Colin] #105423
12/02/08 01:02 AM
12/02/08 01:02 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Speaking of not drawing this thread off topic, what happened to the original intent of this thread regarding The Covenants?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #105515
12/03/08 10:00 PM
12/03/08 10:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Tom, the DA 758 quote you posted does not say the holy angels needed to behold Christ and Him crucified to clear up certain misunderstandings they had concerning the law and love of God.

The quote points out that Christ's death was not just for us, but for the angels and unfallen worlds as well. Christ's death resolved the Great Controversy. The chapter goes into depth explaining this. There are other passages as well which point out that apart from the cross, the angels would be no more secure than they were before Lucifer rebelled.

Christ's death did not end the GC. Why not? Ellen says it is because there are unresolved issues. "Yet Satan was not then destroyed. The angels did not even then understand all that was involved in the great controversy. The principles at stake were to be more fully revealed. And for the sake of man, Satan's existence must be continued. Man as well as angels must see the contrast between the Prince of light and the prince of darkness. He must choose whom he will serve. {DA 761.3}

Again, she does not say the holy angels were unclear about God's law and love. Instead, she says they are unclear about certain aspects of Satan's rebellion. You seem to be confusing being unclear about Satan with being unclear about God. But the two are worlds apart. There is no comparison.

Quote:
Your "humane hunter" story does not explain why God commanded Moses to kill two sinners.

Yes it does, but apparently you're not understanding how.

Quote:
Nor does it explain all the other stories where God commanded Jews to kill people. First of all, it is not a sin to hunt. Second, it does not violate the law to teach people how to hunt humanely.

It just looks like you're not getting the point.

Quote:
Asking me to read your "humane hunter" story, to understand why God commanded Moses to kill those two guys, seems to imply that He taught the Jews how to kill sinners in the most humane manner.

Yes, you're not getting it. I'm sorry about that.

Quote:
The question is - Did God compromise to accommodate sin? In particular, did He teach the Jews how to humanely kill those two sinners? If so, why? Why didn't He teach them the truth instead, especially since they weren't sure what to do with them and they specifically asked God what would be the right thing to do?

We're just going to have to skip this, I think.

The "humane hunter" story describes a father teaching his son how to hunt humanely. The father opposes hunting, but since his son insists on it, the father teaches him how to do it humanely. How does this story explain why God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer? The Jews were not eager to kill them. They didn't know what to do. So, they asked God. Why did God command Moses to kill them? Did Jesus do anything like it when He was here?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #105516
12/03/08 10:20 PM
12/03/08 10:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Do you have inspired passages which state the God's direct punishment of the wicked serves to educate and enlighten the righteous?

How about these two: And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned [them] with an overthrow, making [them] an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly; (2 Peter 2:6) Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. (1 Cor 10:11)

Here it is from the other end of the spectrum: For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: (1 Peter 3:18)

Do you suggest, as implicated by your posts, that we should decide the truth based upon the number of passages supporting each opinion?

Opinions shouldn't have anything to do with establishing the truth, right? Especially "testing truths". You seemed to imply that God caused the Flood by ceasing upholding the fixed laws of nature, as if nature would implode upon itself if God didn't act supernaturally to prevent it. You also seemed to imply this state of things began during creation week. Is it unreasonable to ask you to post inspired passages to support this idea?

PS - I appreciate the kind and loving way you addressed the things I posted that offended you. I have taken it to heart and am praying Jesus will help me to do better in the future. I apologize for offending you.

Re: The Covenants [Re: kland] #105519
12/03/08 11:12 PM
12/03/08 11:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I do not believe God finds pleasure in punishing people. Circumstances forces Him to do it, but He is not willing that any should perish. Yes, He is pleased law and justice are served and satisfied, but not pleased sinners neglect heaven-sent opportunities for learning the way of peace and righteousness, not pleased they reject Jesus.

K: He is forced to execute the law, even though He does not wish to? Suppose someone received a speeding ticket. They go before the judge. The judge has mercy and cancels it. But yet, you say God cannot change some law which He is not happy about executing, and takes great pleasure in seeing that it is satisfied? Love - mercy. Not sure how to reconcile this.

Correct. God cannot disregard the law. He must uphold it. Otherwise, why command it?

M: However, the Bible describes God as the One who will punish and destroy sinners in the lake of fire - not sin. Such punishment is neither cruel nor torture. It is justice.

K: And in what way could God act that could be considered cruel or torture? Just saying that God is holy and therefore nothing He does is cruel doesn't answer the question.

God is love, therefore, He cannot be cruel. Otherwise, He would cease to be God. When a State executes a criminal it is not considered cruel. Nor it is considered torture. God often commanded His chosen people to kill sinners. Not even stoning someone to death was considered cruel.

M: Also, please explain why a loving God would consent to command Moses to kill two people.

K: Not sure if I missed something here, but it sounds like you saying that if God was loving, He wouldn't say to kill people. However since He did, He is not loving.

Yes, you did miss something. The point is God did command Moses to stone two guys to death (and others as well) and it was not considered cruel or unloving. God can do things that would be wrong for us to do. For example: "God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}

Since you think my views of your views are wrong, that you see God as not loving and kind, maybe you could state exactly what your views are of God. That is, since you did not answer my question, put your views into my question and then answer it. You do see your views are different than mine. I'm asking, why do you choose a presumed premise which precludes a fill in your view of God here God rather than my view of God who lets the flood waters come back, who is always consistent, never taking emergency measures, lets the wicked reap their results, who never directly kills them....

From what I've seen, the reason is because you do not find a specific direct quote which you interpret that way. Is that the reason?

"Why do you choose a presumed premise which [portrays God using various means and methods to punish and destroy impenitent sinners] rather than my view of God who lets the flood waters come back, who is always consistent, never taking emergency measures, lets the wicked reap their results, who never directly kills them?"

1. "Who lets the flood waters come back." I'm not sure which fixed laws of nature God employed to cause the flood, but I am certain He did. I do not believe God created a condition during creation week that resulted in water wanting to return to its pre-creation state and killing everything in the process the moment God should cease holding it back.

2. "Who is always consistent." Yes, God is always consistent.

3. "Never taking emergency measures." Again, yes, God has never compromised with sinners in order to accommodate sinful practices. That's not to say He never compromised. For example, He gave Israel a king.

4. "Lets the wicked reap their results." Yes, God does do this. However, not always. He often intercedes and prevents sinners from reaping the results of their sinful choices. For example, Jesus healed the "impotent man" and told him to sin no more lest a worse thing come upon him. If Jesus hadn't healed him he would have continued reaping the results of his sin. In other cases, Jesus intervenes and totally circumvents the normal, natural results of sin.

5. "Who never directly kills them." Here is where we disagree. I believe God has killed sinners directly. For example, the fire that came out of the tabernacle and killed Nadab and Abihu "went out from the Lord." Also, God is just as responsible for killing the sinners He commanded Moses and others to kill. It doesn't matter that He didn't do it directly.

Re: The Covenants [Re: jibb444] #105520
12/03/08 11:25 PM
12/03/08 11:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: jibb444
jibb444, I don't think anyone on this thread believes God won't punish people, although there is a difference of opinion as to what this means and how it will occur. Perhaps you could quote some statement by someone, and then make a comment or ask a question about that.

Thanks Tom for the invite. I'll ask a question. Is there degrees of punishment for the wicked? Just to clarify I do have an opinion on this but I am learning everyday and always keep an open mind.

Yes, there are degrees of punishment for sin. The suffering sinners experience in this lifetime is not the actual punishment for sin. The punishment for sin is the second death experience in the lake of fire. Jesus is the only one who has experienced the second death. His case is different in that He conquered the second death. Nevertheless, He tasted and consumed it to the maximum.

The question is - Does God do anything to cause sinners to suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness? Or, does He withdraw His protection and allow sin to cause them to suffer according to their words and works? What do you believe?

I believe God will employ three different forms of fire to punish sinners according to their sinfulness: 1) fire from above, 2) fire from below, and 3) the fire light of His glory and brightness.

Re: The Covenants [Re: teresaq] #105521
12/03/08 11:34 PM
12/03/08 11:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

First of all, it is not a sin to hunt. Second, it does not violate the law to teach people how to hunt humanely.

Actually, yeah, I agree hunting for sport is cruel. Hunting to feed your family is not. Jesus allowed demons to enter pigs knowing they would be drowned. Allowing animals to die for a good reason is not cruel. And, after His resurrection, Jesus cooked fish and ate it with His disciples. So, killing animals for food is not a sin.

PS - My wife and I are vegans. However, we do eat "clean" meat on rare occasions. And, when eating outside our home, we are not strict about not eating animal byproducts.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Daryl] #105522
12/03/08 11:36 PM
12/03/08 11:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
Speaking of not drawing this thread off topic, what happened to the original intent of this thread regarding The Covenants?

Discussing the Covenant involves understanding why Jesus had to die and how justice will be meted out during judgment.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #105526
12/04/08 01:21 AM
12/04/08 01:21 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:Tom, the DA 758 quote you posted does not say the holy angels needed to behold Christ and Him crucified to clear up certain misunderstandings they had concerning the law and love of God.

T:The quote points out that Christ's death was not just for us, but for the angels and unfallen worlds as well. Christ's death resolved the Great Controversy. The chapter goes into depth explaining this. There are other passages as well which point out that apart from the cross, the angels would be no more secure than they were before Lucifer rebelled.

M:Christ's death did not end the GC. Why not? Ellen says it is because there are unresolved issues. "Yet Satan was not then destroyed. The angels did not even then understand all that was involved in the great controversy. The principles at stake were to be more fully revealed. And for the sake of man, Satan's existence must be continued. Man as well as angels must see the contrast between the Prince of light and the prince of darkness. He must choose whom he will serve. {DA 761.3}

Again, she does not say the holy angels were unclear about God's law and love. Instead, she says they are unclear about certain aspects of Satan's rebellion. You seem to be confusing being unclear about Satan with being unclear about God. But the two are worlds apart. There is no comparison.

It's not a confusion, MM. To the extent that the angels were unclear in regards to Satan's character, they were unclear about God's. Think about it. Satan was making claims about God. If Satan was trustworthy, then there was a chance these claims were true.

The point of the Ever Lasting Father story is in what the neighbors would have thought had they seen the Father explaining to the son the principles of hunting. Just as the father in the story had no desire that his son should hunt, so did God have no desire that the Israelites should kill.

Regarding your question if Jesus did anything like your understanding of what happened with Moses, the answer is no. This has been my whole point. You should readjust your understanding of what happened with Moses to agree with what Jesus did and said.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 43 of 71 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/20/24 12:54 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!