HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,329 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Tom] #105362
11/30/08 09:54 PM
11/30/08 09:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
since the emphasis was on Gods wrath against sinners, etc, how could anyone possibly see the love supposedly expressed in john or anywhere else. one cancels out the other!!

Here's a text from EGW which goes along with your point here, if you haven't seen it:

Quote:
While God has desired to teach men that from His own love comes the Gift which reconciles them to Himself, the archenemy of mankind has endeavored to represent God as one who delights in their destruction. Thus the sacrifices and the ordinances designed of Heaven to reveal divine love have been perverted to serve as means whereby sinners have vainly hoped to propitiate, with gifts and good works, the wrath of an offended God. (PK 685)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Rosangela] #105364
11/30/08 10:10 PM
11/30/08 10:10 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Excellent response, Rosangela! thumbsup

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Daryl] #105368
12/01/08 01:28 AM
12/01/08 01:28 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
She only responded to one point. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the other points as well.

Also, in regards to the idea that God was reconciled to us, I'd be interested in knowing if you agree that there's nothing in the Bible that says this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Tom] #105371
12/01/08 02:03 AM
12/01/08 02:03 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
I'm going out on a limb here: I perceive Teresa's post to be rather more cynical than actually agreeing. She's applauding you for stating a point blindingly obvious to everyone else as if you thought everyone had missed it instead of us all taking it as an "of course" truth. With the punishment of wrath against sin taking prime place on stage, ie. first mention in the atonement, this sentence
Quote:
how could anyone possibly see the love supposedly expressed in john or anywhere else

rather says love was never abandoned nor forgotten as the be all and en all of the atonement

I hope you aren't offended by this possible cynicism, but your do appear to fail to gather all the applicable, salvific metaphors that do exist in our church beliefs, while fearing that the most obvious Gospel truth has been largely if not wholly forgotten.

They are not mutually exclusive - justice (wrath & penalty) and mercy (righteousness, agape & grace), as you regularly appear to portray them in your disagreement with penal substitution. How Biblically stable is your view of God's law and justice as purely agape confirmed, for divine justice never was arbitrary or whatever else you have as objection to Christ suffering our penalty - you do agree he bore the curse of tte law for us?...I can never seem to get my head round your full alternative to the SDA position...

Last edited by Colin; 12/01/08 02:43 AM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Tom] #105373
12/01/08 02:41 AM
12/01/08 02:41 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
If J&S are jointly meant by this "righteousness", then it's nothing new and they side-stepped this gem of Gospel power truth despite coming so close to stating it.

I didn't follow your point here. Please repeat it, as it looks like it could be interesting.

That was rather concise, yes: spiritual rebirth, renewal of the mind, experience of righteousness is typically timed by church teaching to be part of sanctification, leaving justification to be purely legal, forensic - a judicial (legally recognised) declaration of righteousness, but no inner renewal, since that is for sanctification...Such a teaching is not Adventist but a Sunday church belief basis, totally frustrating obedience of the Gospel in practical Godliness: correct teaching is renewal of mind, rebirth is "the experience of justification", the Palmdale Conference consensus statement on RBF between The GC and Ford's Australasian Division, in 1976 (published in the Review). Such an "experience" is the rebirth of RBF! - Ford swore blind he never actually agreed to that truth on justification - holding to his defeated line: "The Gospel is justification only!" - "the experience of justification" is the graceous powerbase of obedience.

Last week the lesson was within a hair's breadth of reiterating the truth of Palmdale. The Adventist church has been grossly silent on that truth since Kenneth Wood retired in'83...pushing neo-Fordian k]legal justification and rebirth in sanctification - which isn't Biblical, whatever Ford says.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Daryl] #105374
12/01/08 03:25 AM
12/01/08 03:25 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Daryl
The next metaphor is justification. When asked about the meaning of this, somebody said, "Just as if I had never sinned." This says it all from Tuesday's section: "We have here the combination of two images, redemption and justification, that describe and provide a legal basis for God’s decision to justify those who accept the righteousness of Christ (Rom. 4:3-6). God can do the unimaginable because Christ took our sin and died in our place (2 Cor.5:21)."

NO IT DOESN'T...As I just clarified for Tom, justification is "participation" in Christ's death, resurrection and life of righteousness, as quite possibly expressed toward the end of this daily page of the lesson. Pardon of sin is only half the story of justification by faith: the other half is renewal of the mind. Only thereby can sanctification actually happen each day - in which we work spiritually with God, so cannot, may not, assist in performing renewal of our own mind...which is verily the experience of justification.

On the "God reconciled with us" debate: surely, Daryl, that was a typo which didn't jump out as not sounding right because it doesn't sound wrong at a glance? - and is right in a sense...as Rosangela has suggested, despite no mention in Scripture - it's not of salvific urgency!

On the sacrifice of atonement, the lesson quietly & correctly identifies wrath as the punishment & suffering of Christ: "expiation" means wrath wasn't suffered because God isn't wrath against sin - the word defines God by what sort of sacrifice of atonement is required to atone for us, reconcile us to God, as Christ died for our sins. Propitiation, perhaps generally the least used word in the English language, is critical in understanding the atonement by Christ: it involves suffering the wrath of God against sin. Different Bible translations and theologians pick whichever of these two words expresses their view of "wrath or no wrath, that is the question".

While the Quarterly wasn't exactly clear on this difference between these words - googling them together brings several studies of the meanings, the truth of wrath was firmly stated and there was no space to sort out expiation & propitiation properly.

The pervasive love of God was quite clearly & rightly the conclusion of the week!

Last edited by Colin; 12/01/08 03:29 AM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Colin] #105376
12/01/08 04:46 AM
12/01/08 04:46 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
I'm going out on a limb here: I perceive Teresa's post to be rather more cynical than actually agreeing. She's applauding you for stating a point blindingly obvious to everyone else as if you thought everyone had missed it instead of us all taking it as an "of course" truth. With the punishment of wrath against sin taking prime place on stage, ie. first mention in the atonement, this sentence
Quote:
how could anyone possibly see the love supposedly expressed in john or anywhere else

no, my brother, it certainly was not meant cynical, but honest. when people tried to tell me God was love, after the way they behaved, in addition to the emphasis on Gods wrath on sinners, etc, i did not have a good picture of God. i did not want to go to heaven. what on earth for?! God was just waiting to get me every time i did something wrong.

lest you think i am in a minority here, let me disabuse you of that!!

i run into many who see only a punishing, vindictive God-in the sda church. some who seem willing to kill to keep this picture of "god".

now, i have only recently heard the words "penal substitution" and am mostly watching, reading, learning, whats going on. my basic understanding now is that i was going to die, but Jesus came and lived and died so that i dont have to.

but that wrath-of-God thing was the main focus of many, and what i picked up and i cant say i particularly understood the atonement, except for bits and pieces. i understand it much better due to my personal studies, now.

as for finding the love of God in the church? never in life would have happened!! i see a lot of counterfeits, and believe me, people with my background spot it a mile away!! all superficiality and nothing underneath!

but God was/is good. it took Him decades to get through to me, but He did, through this person, that person, inspiring me to ask Him to cleanse me of all tradition i had picked up from the church-sda-and my parents, reading my bible over and over and over and over again until i had it pretty well down, besides i dont know how much else.

but if you have always known a God of love, caring and compassion in your understanding i am very happy for you, and others like you.

Last edited by teresaq; 12/01/08 04:48 AM.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Tom] #105378
12/01/08 04:50 AM
12/01/08 04:50 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
since the emphasis was on Gods wrath against sinners, etc, how could anyone possibly see the love supposedly expressed in john or anywhere else. one cancels out the other!!

Here's a text from EGW which goes along with your point here, if you haven't seen it:

Quote:
While God has desired to teach men that from His own love comes the Gift which reconciles them to Himself, the archenemy of mankind has endeavored to represent God as one who delights in their destruction. Thus the sacrifices and the ordinances designed of Heaven to reveal divine love have been perverted to serve as means whereby sinners have vainly hoped to propitiate, with gifts and good works, the wrath of an offended God. (PK 685)

you understood what i said quite well, my brother!! smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: teresaq] #105380
12/01/08 05:47 AM
12/01/08 05:47 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
How Biblically stable is your view of God's law and justice as purely agape confirmed, for divine justice never was arbitrary or whatever else you have as objection to Christ suffering our penalty - you do agree he bore the curse of tte law for us?...I can never seem to get my head round your full alternative to the SDA position...

I'm glad to see teresaq responded. I read through her posts, and didn't see anything sarcastic in them. She seems to be a real straight shooter. (I'm assuming she's a she; not sure). At any rate, I'm glad to see my suspicions were correct.

You say "the SDA position," which seems like a strange thing to write. I'm only quoted from SDAs (with one exception, Greg Boyd) to establish the position I've been sharing! Waggoner, in particular, who has "heavenly credentials" presented a position which is identical, as far as I can tell, to what I've been presenting. Fifield and Gibson are also SDAs.

I really can't understand why you refer to authority on these points. If ever the expression "he who lives in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones" applied, it is to you, given your views regarding Christ and the Holy Spirit, viz a viz the Trinity. I never have referred to authority in our conversations regarding your ideas on these points.

The only authority is truth. Truth is not established by SDAs in official positions. What was, and has been, the official SDA position regarding 1888? Or the Trinity? It seems disingenuous of you to bring this up, given how you view their positions in regards to these topics. It's OK for you to have an "unofficial" position in regards to the Trinity, or 1888, but it's not OK for me to have an "unofficial" position in regards to the atonement?

Regarding getting your head around my position, it's very simple. I can make a presentation from either Scripture, or the SOP. I'll use the SOP here, but a very similar argument can be made from Scripture:

Quote:
Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God,
attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world.

The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. (DA 21, 22)

The problem of man was being deceived by Satan in regards to God's character. This deception led man to distrust God, which in turn led him to sin, which led to guilt, and further misunderstanding of God's character, and further distrust of God, and further sin, etc. Here we have a vicious cycle of the worst sort. How should this be counteracted?

Since the root of the problem was believing lies regarding God's character, it follows that the root solution is believing the truth. So Christ came to reveal the truth. What's the truth? The truth is that God is non-violent, completely, and that He would rather permit His creatures to do whatever they wished than to save Himself.

The SOP says that the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission on earth was the "revelation of God" in order to "set men right." This isn't difficult to understand, once we correctly identify the problem.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #9 - Metaphors of SALVATION [Re: Tom] #105381
12/01/08 06:10 AM
12/01/08 06:10 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding 105373, I agree.

Regarding "propitiation," this again gets to what one sees the problem as being. Is the problem God's wrath? Or is the problem man's rebellion? (or perhaps both).

I don't see God's wrath as a problem that needed to be solved. As Fifield puts it:

Quote:
The life of Christ was not the price paid to the father for our pardon; but the life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely.(God is Love)

Waggoner comments:

Quote:
A propitiation is a sacrifice. The statement then is simply that Christ is set forth to be a sacrifice for the remission of our sins. "Once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself." Heb. 9:26. Of course the idea of a propitiation or sacrifice is that there is wrath to be appeased. But take particular notice that it is we who require the sacrifice, and not God. He provides the sacrifice. The idea that God's wrath has to be propitiated in order that we may have forgiveness finds no warrant in the Bible.

It is the height of absurdity to say that God is so angry with men that he will not forgive them unless something is provided to appease his wrath, and that therefore he himself offers the gift to himself, by which he is appeased.0 "And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled in the body of his flesh through death." Col. 1:21, 22. (Waggoner on Romans)

Reply Quote
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!