HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl), 2,885 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 43 of 55 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #107360
01/09/09 10:03 PM
01/09/09 10:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
M: I believe people can and do experience rebirth before they learn how to obey and observe everything Jesus commanded. In such cases they are born again abiding in Jesus while still cultivating some of the same sins of ignorance they committed prior to rebirth. Do you know of anyone who believes people cannot abide in Jesus under these circumstances?

T: By people, you mean "people who have not been properly indoctrinated," correct?

Wasn’t it obvious? And isn't it obvious I'm not someone who believes such a thing?

Quote:
T: The need to confess these sins as a part of the conversion process is if these sins are getting in the way of receiving Christ.

Which “heading” or “representative sin” would not get in the way of receiving Jesus? Please refer to the SOP quote I posted above for examples.

Quote:
M: I agree with how you described our differences with one exception. You wrote, “You see that conversion has to do with confessing certain types of behavior. I see that it has to do with accepting Christ.” I believe both happen when people are properly indoctrinated.

T: I guess what I'm getting at here is if you view "accepting Christ" as happening when one is born again, or even as the same thing.

Rebirth happens when people crucify their old man and Jesus implants within them the righteous fruits and attributes of God’s character. At this point they begin abiding in Jesus, partaking of the divine nature. Of course they must consciously choose moment by moment to abide in Jesus; otherwise, they instinctively revert back to the resurrected mind of the old man. Repentance restores the relationship sin severs.

I believe people can and do experience rebirth before they learn how to obey and observe everything Jesus commanded. In such cases they are born again abiding in Jesus while still ignorantly cultivating some of the same sins of ignorance they committed prior to rebirth. I also happen to believe that properly indoctrinated people are born again abiding in Jesus without any of the sins they committed ignorantly or knowingly prior to rebirth.

Quote:
M: Let’s look at it from a different perspective. Do you know of any inspired quotes that describe someone who, like Jesus, is sin free, who successfully reigns in the clamorings of their sinful flesh, and who daily grows in grace and matures in the righteous fruits and attributes of God character?

T: Regarding if I know of any inspired quotes that describe people who are sin free, like Jesus, no, I don't know any quotes like this. Indeed, my understanding of inspiration is that only Jesus is sin free.

Nice one, Tom. I’ll rephrase the question:

Do you know of any inspired quotes that describe people who, before probation closes, have fully and completely overcome sin, who successfully reign in the clamorings of their sinful flesh, and who daily grow in grace and mature in the righteous fruits and attributes of God character?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #107386
01/10/09 03:11 AM
01/10/09 03:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: The need to confess these sins as a part of the conversion process is if these sins are getting in the way of receiving Christ.

M:Which “heading” or “representative sin” would not get in the way of receiving Jesus? Please refer to the SOP quote I posted above for examples.

I didn't see a quote above. In general, I would say the heading is immaterial. God reveals the sins that a person needs to confess in order to be able to accept Christ. Consider the publican. He was evidently convicted about something. He asked for mercy, and God gave it to him. Jesus said He went away justified.

I asked you if you see accepting Christ as the same thing as being born again, and you said nothing at all about accepting Christ, so I don't know the answer to my question.

Quote:
Do you know of any inspired quotes that describe people who, before probation closes, have fully and completely overcome sin, who successfully reign in the clamorings of their sinful flesh, and who daily grow in grace and mature in the righteous fruits and attributes of God character?

Yes. Why do you ask? You know I believe in victory over sin, or perfection of character, whichever way one likes to put it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #107508
01/13/09 06:11 PM
01/13/09 06:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom

M:Which “heading” or “representative sin” would not get in the way of receiving Jesus? Please refer to the SOP quote I posted above for examples.

T: I didn't see a quote above. In general, I would say the heading is immaterial. God reveals the sins that a person needs to confess in order to be able to accept Christ. Consider the publican. He was evidently convicted about something. He asked for mercy, and God gave it to him. Jesus said He went away justified.

I asked you if you see accepting Christ as the same thing as being born again, and you said nothing at all about accepting Christ, so I don't know the answer to my question.

You also believe God delays dealing with certain sins until after they are born again. You say He only expects them to confess the sins that would prevent them from accepting Jesus. You cite Luther's beer drinking as proof. But what about believing God will burn sinners alive in hell forever and ever? Does this prevent people from accepting Jesus?

Quote:
M: Do you know of any inspired quotes that describe people who, before probation closes, have fully and completely overcome sin, who successfully reign in the clamorings of their sinful flesh, and who daily grow in grace and mature in the righteous fruits and attributes of God character?

T: Yes. Why do you ask? You know I believe in victory over sin, or perfection of character, whichever way one likes to put it.

Post them so can discuss them. Thank you.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #107666
01/19/09 05:01 PM
01/19/09 05:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please address 107508. Thanx.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #107667
01/19/09 05:13 PM
01/19/09 05:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Question - Are people guilty of committing a certain sin, even though they are not currently committing it, because they have cultivated it in the past and might commit it again in the future?

For example, a believer with a history of losing his patience. Since he has cultivated the habit of impatience in the past, since he has a weakness in that area, since is he prone to be impatient, does that mean he is guilty of sinning even though he is abiding in Jesus and isn't currently being impatient?

IOW, does cultivating sinful traits and habits in the past, does having a history of defects and imperfections, mean people are guilty of sinning even though they are not currently sinning in one of those areas? Are they guilty simply because they have sinned in the recent past? Are they guilty because they might sin again in the near future?

These questions take into consideration knowing God and His loving character is the most thing people can do to grow in grace and mature in the fruits of the Spirit. Demonstrating the character of God to a sin-sick world is the most important thing.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #107674
01/19/09 08:19 PM
01/19/09 08:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
You also believe God delays dealing with certain sins until after they are born again. You say He only expects them to confess the sins that would prevent them from accepting Jesus. You cite Luther's beer drinking as proof. But what about believing God will burn sinners alive in hell forever and ever? Does this prevent people from accepting Jesus?

I responded to this awhile ago, but it likes due to some networking issue it didn't get posted. Regarding your question about believing God will burn sinners alive in hell, IMO that certainly could prevent a person from accepting Christ. It wouldn't necessarily do this, which is evident, since there are many who have accepted Christ who believe this, but I say it could, or might, do this because such a thought might lead one to believe God to be cruel or unjust, which in turn might lead one to be embittered against God, a problem which could interfere with accepting Christ.

Regarding overcoming sin, here's one that comes to mind:

Quote:
Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. (COL 69)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #107704
01/20/09 07:30 PM
01/20/09 07:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, thanx for answering the question about eternal hell. I didn't realize you were as flexible with it as are. I thought you would have said it is impossible to believe God is capable of burning souls alive in hell forever and know the truth about God's kingdom and character too.

Regarding COL 69 as an example of a passage which describes believers being free from all sin. Thank you for posting it. I wasn't sure you were ever going to post one. I agree with you. This passage means they are without sin.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #107708
01/20/09 08:42 PM
01/20/09 08:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, thanx for answering the question about eternal hell. I didn't realize you were as flexible with it as are. I thought you would have said it is impossible to believe God is capable of burning souls alive in hell forever and know the truth about God's kingdom and character too.

I would say this. Someone who believes God capable of burning people alive in hell forever does not know that truth about God's character. I'd say the same thing about those who think God capable of doing to for many hours or days.

Regarding posting a passage, as I said, I did so quite some time ago, but for some reason it didn't post. Of course, you would have no way of knowing this.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #107917
02/06/09 05:52 PM
02/06/09 05:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I was hoping you would address the point in 107667.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #107919
02/06/09 06:00 PM
02/06/09 06:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, does the sinless experience described in COL 69 you posted above apply only to certain end-time people? Or, is this experience available now? If so, do you know of any other quotes which describe people experiencing sinlessness before end-time events begin to unfold?

For example, what do you think about this passage?

Those who believe on Christ and obey His commandments are not under bondage to God's law; for to those who believe and obey, His law is not a law of bondage, but of liberty. Everyone who believes on Christ, everyone who relies on the keeping power of a risen Saviour that has suffered the penalty pronounced upon the transgressor, everyone who resists temptation and in the midst of evil copies the pattern given in the Christ life, will through faith in the atoning sacrifice of Christ become a partaker of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. Everyone who by faith obeys God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. {HP 146.5}

Page 43 of 55 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!