HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,500 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Mountain Man] #106180
12/16/08 11:11 PM
12/16/08 11:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Christ's death accomplished much more than [serving to influence and motivate sinners to cease sinning and to love and obey God].

Please name other things Jesus' death accomplished, things that were not already fulfilled before He suffered and died on the cross. Thank you.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Mountain Man] #106192
12/17/08 12:48 AM
12/17/08 12:48 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Now I can say neither you nor Fifield have addressed the quotes and comments and questions I posted.

Fifield wrote an entire chapter entitled "THE SACRIFICE OF CHRIST HONORS GOD’S LAW." Now you may disagree with what he wrote, but it's not fair to say he didn't address the concerns you raised, because he did. He also wrote a chapter called, "The Atonement," and another called, "The Atonement Vicarious," which also deal with these issues.

Quote:
Now you know why I have been reduced to asking you to address them so many times. How many more times will I have to ask before you finally address them?

You're simply not seeing that your questions are being addressed. Rather than just keep asking the same questions, and getting the same answers, spend some time looking at the answers, and try to understand how they address your questions. I offered to provide more material for you to study. I'm happy to do that if you wish.

Quote:
T: You're confused if you think what I've been presenting is the Moral Influence Theory. It isn't. So this is a FOTAP question.

M:Again, you seem to have misread what I wrote. Here it is again for your convenience: "Your version of the MITH advocates that Jesus' death was necessary, right?" Please note that I didn't say you have been presenting the MITH. I referred to it as a *version* of the MITH. Here's how I think your views are similar to the MITH: You believe Jesus' death was the only way for God to influence and motivate sinners to love and obey Him. This is a key component of the MITH.

T:Once again, if you think I've presenting the Moral Influence Theory, you are mistaken. It doesn't look like I misread what you wrote. I don't know why you think this. It seems pretty clear. You say "your version of the MITH." It's not the Moral Influence Theory, nor a version of it, that I'm presenting.

Quote:
M: Under these circumstances, doesn't "necessary" and "requirement" mean essentially the same thing? That is, since Jesus' death was the only way for God to influence and motivate sinners to love and obey Him wasn't it, therefore, a requirement?

T: Christ's death accomplished much more than this, of course, but in terms of your question, one could certainly look at this as something which was necessary, or required.

M:Okay, so it is perfectly acceptable for me to say - The death of Jesus was required to accomplish His goals.

Yes.

Quote:
That is, God required it of Himself.

This is an odd way of putting it. If your goal in communication is to be clear, I wouldn't put it this way. The other way is clearer, i.e. "The death of Jesus was required to accomplish His goals."

Quote:
The reason this point is important to me is because in the past you seemed to object to using the word "required" in this context.

I'm not sure what "this context" is, but I've pointed out what I think is clear, and what is less clear, so hopefully this helps to sort things out.

Quote:
Okay, so we agree on two of the many reasons the death of Jesus was required, namely, 1) to influence and motivate sinners to love and obey God, which in turn makes it possible for Him 2) to pardon and save them.

But, where we disagree is whether or not the death of Jesus was also required to pay the sin debt of death for the sins of the world, to satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice (two important attributes of God's character), namely, that the substitutionary death of Jesus must happen in consequence of man's sin, that merely pardoning sinners is not sufficient to redeem them from the curse of the law, that ceasing from sin and faithfully obeying the law from then onward does not provide propitiation for past sins.

I would say our disagreement involves that these are different things.

Quote:
Law and justice demand death for sin, therefore, death must happen in consequence of sin. Law and justice do not demand pardon for sin. Neither do they demand that sinners learn to cease sinning. If it were possible to merely pardon sinners, rather than demanding their death, God would have ordered and legislated things accordingly. But He didn't.

This idea comes short because of the reasons Fifield pointed out.

Quote:
Instead, God established things in such a way that death must happen in consequence of sin. To pardon and save sinners, therefore, the substitutionary death of Jesus is required. In this way, and only in this way, the honor and integrity of law and justice are upheld and penitent sinners can be saved and live happily ever after.

I agree with Fifield's points on this question. I think your ideas come short, because if they were true, God could not have offered Lucifer pardon as He did. They also don't involve the real problem, which has to do with man, and not with God. All that God did was what man needed in order to be reconciled to God. It's a one way street. As Ty Gibson puts it, God was already where He needed to be, very much in love with us.

Quote:
Again, listen: "Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

I agree with Fifield's explanation of this. Again, if your view of this were true, God could not have offered Lucifer pardon, as He did; Christ's death would have had to have been involved.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Tom] #106193
12/17/08 12:56 AM
12/17/08 12:56 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Please name other things Jesus' death accomplished, things that were not already fulfilled before He suffered and died on the cross. Thank you.

There is a nice list in "It Is Finished." Why don't you put together a list, and we can review it together.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Tom] #106260
12/18/08 11:44 PM
12/18/08 11:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I agree with Fifield's explanation of this. Again, if your view of this were true, God could not have offered Lucifer pardon, as He did; Christ's death would have had to have been involved.

Neither you, nor anything you have quoted from Fifield, comes anywhere close to explaining the following insights:

Law and justice demand death for sin, therefore, death must happen in consequence of sin. Law and justice do not demand pardon for sin. Neither do they demand that sinners learn to cease sinning. If it were possible to merely pardon sinners, rather than demanding their death, God would have ordered and legislated things accordingly. But He didn't.

Instead, God established things in such a way that death must happen in consequence of sin. To pardon and save sinners, therefore, the substitutionary death of Jesus is required. In this way, and only in this way, the honor and integrity of law and justice are upheld and penitent sinners can be saved and live happily ever after.

Again, listen: "Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Mountain Man] #106261
12/18/08 11:59 PM
12/18/08 11:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
There is a nice list in "It Is Finished." Why don't you put together a list, and we can review it together.

According to the chapter "It is Finished", Jesus' death accomplished the following things:

1. It clearly revealed to unfallen FMAs the character of Satan's rebellion. Page 758.

2. It demonstrated that mercy does not cancel out justice, thereby demonstrating the love of God. Page 762.

3. It guaranteed the destruction of sin and sinners. Page 764.

4. It assured the redemption of penitent sinners. Page 764.

5. It made the universe eternally secure. Page 764.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Mountain Man] #106268
12/19/08 10:11 AM
12/19/08 10:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Excellent! My list:

1.Rebellion is not overcome by force. Satan was given the opportunity to demonstrate the fruits of his government. Page 759
2.By making clear the character of Satan, he was defeated in the GC. Page 761
3.A means was provided, by beholding the love of God, that man could be drawn back to God. Page 762
4.Both justice and mercy coexist, with neither one destroying the other, and the law of God is shown to be righteous, and shown to be capable of being obeyed. Page 762
5.The wicked are destroyed by their own choice, as opposed to an act of God upon them, by choosing to separate themselves from God. A life of rebellion places them so out of harmony with God, that his presence becomes to them a consuming fire. Page 764
6.The Universe was made secure. Page 764

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Mountain Man] #106371
12/22/08 04:44 PM
12/22/08 04:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

Neither you, nor anything you have quoted from Fifield, comes anywhere close to explaining the following insights:

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Mountain Man] #106381
12/22/08 08:54 PM
12/22/08 08:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I've quoted many times from Fifield where he deals with this. He has a whole chapter called, "The Sacrifice of Christ Honors God's Law." This chapter is dealing with this theme. I've quoted at length from that chapter.

Again, if the way you are looking things were correct, then Christ's death would have been required in order for God to offer Lucifer pardon.

Quote:
Instead, God established things in such a way that death must happen in consequence of sin.

I think this is misleading, or at least somewhat vague, the reason being is it sounds as if God could have established things in such a way that sin would not result in death. The reason sin results in death is described here:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God."(DA 764)

This death isn't something God "establishes," (it's not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God) but the result of the what the sinner himself has chosen to do, separating himself from God, who is "the fountain of life."

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Tom] #106395
12/22/08 11:50 PM
12/22/08 11:50 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The following EGW quote posted by MM tells me that Christ had to die in order for us to receive pardon:
Quote:

Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Daryl] #106397
12/23/08 12:32 AM
12/23/08 12:32 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
There's no doubt Christ had to die in order for us to receive pardon. The question is why? If it were something God-related (some requirement He needed) then the same requirement should have been necessary for Him to be able to offer pardon to Lucifer, but it wasn't. Therefore the reason for Christ's death being necessary must lie elsewhere.

Reply Quote
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!