HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,638
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,257 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 47 of 71 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #106271
12/19/08 04:15 PM
12/19/08 04:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom and Teresaq, thank you sharing your views. There is nothing pleasant about studying the stories in the Bible that depict God causing death and destruction. I can see how it would be more comforting, more flattering to interpret all those accounts to mean circumstances forced God to withdraw His protection and permit evil angels to cause death and destruction. And, indeed, there are times when this is clearly the case.

However, even this interpretation is hardly comforting or flattering. The idea that God reluctantly, uncharacteristically does something that results in evil angels arbitrarily inflicting His children with death and destruction paints a pretty poor picture of God. It begs the question - Why does God reach a point where He is no longer willing to do whatever it takes to prevent death and destruction from happening?

What harm would it do to simply continue doing whatever it takes to prevent death and destruction? Besides the nation of Israel, and on occasion her neighbors, God pretty much does this very thing, that is, He prevents death and destruction from happening in consequence of their neglect or rejection of Him. Indeed, the majority of the nations of the world have not, and do not, incur the wrath of God. In such cases, God continues to uphold the laws of nature and things continue like they have forever, that is, there are good years and lean years. "For he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." (Mat 5:45)

Also, please take into consideration the following insights:

Quote:
The history of Israel was to be placed on record for the instruction and warning of coming generations. Men of all future time must see the God of heaven as an impartial ruler, in no case justifying sin. But few realize the exceeding sinfulness of sin. Men flatter themselves that God is too good to punish the transgressor. But in the light of Bible history it is evident that God's goodness and His love engage Him to deal with sin as an evil fatal to the peace and happiness of the universe. {PP 420.2}

If we lived in a dispensation of immediate retribution, offenses against God would not occur so often. But though delayed, the punishment is none the less certain. There are limits even to the forbearance of God. The boundary of His long-suffering may be reached, and then He will surely punish. And when He does take up the case of the presumptuous sinner, He will not cease till He has made a full end. {3BC 1166.1}

Very few realize the sinfulness of sin; they flatter themselves that God is too good to punish the offender. But the cases of Miriam, Aaron, David, and many others show that it is not a safe thing to sin against God in deed, in word, or even in thought. God is a being of infinite love and compassion, but He also declares Himself to be a "consuming fire, even a jealous God" (RH Aug. 14, 1900). {3BC 1166.2}

The plea may be made that a loving Father would not see His children suffering the punishment of God by fire while He had the power to relieve them. But God would, for the good of His subjects and for their safety, punish the transgressor. God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. Who will say God will not do what He says He will do? {LDE 241}

The death of Christ was to be the convincing, everlasting argument that the law of God is as unchangeable as His throne. The agonies of the Garden of Gethsemane, the insult, the mockery, and abuse heaped upon God's dear Son, the horrors and ignominy of the crucifixion, furnish sufficient and thrilling demonstration that God's justice, when it punishes, does the work thoroughly. The fact that His own Son, the Surety for man, was not spared, is an argument that will stand to all eternity before saint and sinner, before the universe of God, to testify that He will not excuse the transgressor of His law. Every offense against God's law, however minute, is set down in the reckoning, and when the sword of justice is taken in hand, it will do the work for impenitent transgressors that was done to the divine Sufferer. Justice will strike; for God's hatred of sin is intense and overwhelming (MS 58, 1897). {3BC 1166.3}

God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law. Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. The death of the spotless Son of God testifies that "the wages of sin is death," that every violation of God's law must receive its just retribution. Christ the sinless became sin for man. He bore the guilt of transgression, and the hiding of His Father's face, until His heart was broken and His life crushed out. All this sacrifice was made that sinners might be redeemed. In no other way could man be freed from the penalty of sin. And every soul that refuses to become a partaker of the atonement provided at such a cost must bear in his own person the guilt and punishment of transgression. {GC 539.3}

QUESTION - Is it right to credit Satan for the wrath of God, for His "strange acts"? Is it right to attribute the judgments of God to Satan?

Please consider the following insight:

Korah would not have taken the course he did had he known that all the directions and reproofs communicated to Israel were from God. But he might have known this. God had given overwhelming evidence that He was leading Israel. But Korah and his companions rejected light until they became so blinded that the most striking manifestations of His power were not sufficient to convince them; they attributed them all to human or satanic agency. The same thing was done by the people, who the day after the destruction of Korah and his company came to Moses and Aaron, saying, "Ye have killed the people of the Lord." Notwithstanding they had had the most convincing evidence of God's displeasure at their course, in the destruction of the men who had deceived them, they dared to attribute His judgments to Satan, declaring that through the power of the evil one, Moses and Aaron had caused the death of good and holy men. It was this act that sealed their doom. They had committed the sin against the Holy Spirit, a sin by which man's heart is effectually hardened against the influence of divine grace. "Whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man," said Christ, "it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him." Matthew 12:32. These words were spoken by our Saviour when the gracious works which He had performed through the power of God were attributed by the Jews to Beelzebub. It is through the agency of the Holy Spirit that God communicates with man; and those who deliberately reject this agency as satanic, have cut off the channel of communication between the soul and Heaven. {PP 404.4}

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #106291
12/19/08 07:15 PM
12/19/08 07:15 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I can see how it would be more comforting, more flattering to interpret all those accounts to mean circumstances forced God to withdraw His protection and permit evil angels to cause death and destruction.

If by "more flattering" you mean "more flattering to God," I agree that the suggested interpretation that destruction comes when God withdraws His protection is more flattering to God.

Quote:
And, indeed, there are times when this is clearly the case.

However, even this interpretation is hardly comforting or flattering. The idea that God reluctantly, uncharacteristically does something that results in evil angels arbitrarily inflicting His children with death and destruction paints a pretty poor picture of God.

Since you recognize that there are times when this view is clearly the case, how can you then assert this paints are "pretty poor picture of God," given this is a view you hold yourself? (by which I mean, you hold this view to be correct some portion of the time).

Quote:
What harm would it do to simply continue doing whatever it takes to prevent death and destruction?

The Fifield quotes I've presented discuss this in detail. I don't have access to them right now.

Three quick problems are:

1.This would not be honoring the free will choice of those who have rejected God.
2.This would not be fair to Satan, who would cry foul that he was never given the opportunity to present his case.
3.It would not be seen what the effects of sin are, if God never permitted bad things to result from bad moral decisions.

Regarding the PP comment, there's no doubt that Satan is indirectly responsible for all effects of sin. Satan is "the author of sin, and all its results," which includes death, of course, as without sin there would be no death. However, the PP quote is not dealing with this, but is dealing with the idea that Moses and Aaron were agents of Satan.

Note:

Quote:
declaring that through the power of the evil one, Moses and Aaron had caused the death of good and holy men.

Assuming God withdrew His protection of forces which would cause an earthquake, and an earthquake resulted as a consequence, then one could hardly fairly accuse Moses and Aaron of being in cohoots with Satan.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #106376
12/22/08 06:01 PM
12/22/08 06:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: I can see how it would be more comforting, more flattering to interpret all those accounts to mean circumstances forced God to withdraw His protection and permit evil angels to cause death and destruction.

T: If by "more flattering" you mean "more flattering to God," I agree that the suggested interpretation that destruction comes when God withdraws His protection is more flattering to God.

Yes, it presents a flattering view of God. However, it is not the only means and method God uses to punish and destroy impenitent sinners. "To interpret all those accounts to mean" God employed the same means and method is what I'm objecting to.

Quote:
M: And, indeed, there are times when this is clearly the case.

However, even this interpretation is hardly comforting or flattering. The idea that God reluctantly, uncharacteristically does something that results in evil angels arbitrarily inflicting His children with death and destruction paints a pretty poor picture of God.

T: Since you recognize that there are times when this view is clearly the case, how can you then assert this paints are "pretty poor picture of God," given this is a view you hold yourself? (by which I mean, you hold this view to be correct some portion of the time).

I believe there are times when "circumstances forced God to withdraw His protection and permit evil angels to cause death and destruction." But I do not agree with "the idea that God reluctantly, uncharacteristically does something that results in evil angels arbitrarily inflicting His children with death and destruction." I think this view "paints a pretty poor picture of God." Do you see the difference?

Quote:
M: What harm would it do to simply continue doing whatever it takes to prevent death and destruction?

T: The Fifield quotes I've presented discuss this in detail. I don't have access to them right now. Three quick problems are:

1.This would not be honoring the free will choice of those who have rejected God.
2.This would not be fair to Satan, who would cry foul that he was never given the opportunity to present his case.
3.It would not be seen what the effects of sin are, if God never permitted bad things to result from bad moral decisions.

1. Your answer implies what God is doing now to prevent death and destruction is a violation of free will.
2. Is there any evidence Satan cries foul play in response to God preventing death and destruction?
3. God regularly allows people to suffer the natural cause and effect consequences of their poor decisions. But there are also many, many times when He intervenes and prevents things from playing out naturally.

Quote:
T: Regarding the PP comment, there's no doubt that Satan is indirectly responsible for all effects of sin. Satan is "the author of sin, and all its results," which includes death, of course, as without sin there would be no death. However, the PP quote is not dealing with this, but is dealing with the idea that Moses and Aaron were agents of Satan. Note: ". . . declaring that through the power of the evil one, Moses and Aaron had caused the death of good and holy men."

Assuming God withdrew His protection of forces which would cause an earthquake, and an earthquake resulted as a consequence, then one could hardly fairly accuse Moses and Aaron of being in cohoots with Satan.

I'm not sure I understand your interpretation of the PP quote. Are you saying they didn't attribute the judgments of God to Satan? In saying, "there's no doubt that Satan is indirectly responsible for all effects of sin", it sounds like you believe Satan is the one caused the ground to open up and swallow Korah and his companions.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #106377
12/22/08 06:13 PM
12/22/08 06:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - What does it say about the character of God that He buried and burned sinners alive? What kind of God would do such a thing - bury and burn people alive?

The eyes of all Israel were fixed upon Moses as they stood, in terror and expectation, awaiting the event. As he ceased speaking, the solid earth parted, and the rebels went down alive into the pit, with all that pertained to them, and "they perished from among the congregation." The people fled, self-condemned as partakers in the sin. {PP 400.5}

But the judgments were not ended. Fire flashing from the cloud consumed the two hundred and fifty princes who had offered incense. These men, not being the first in rebellion, were not destroyed with the chief conspirators. They were permitted to see their end, and to have an opportunity for repentance; but their sympathies were with the rebels, and they shared their fate. {PP 401.1}

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #106384
12/22/08 09:12 PM
12/22/08 09:12 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: If by "more flattering" you mean "more flattering to God," I agree that the suggested interpretation that destruction comes when God withdraws His protection is more flattering to God.

M:Yes, it presents a flattering view of God. However, it is not the only means and method God uses to punish and destroy impenitent sinners.

This means you believe in a less flattering view of God. I agree with this.

Quote:
"To interpret all those accounts to mean" God employed the same means and method is what I'm objecting to.

Yes, we disagree regarding this. I see the principles described in GC, the first chapter, as being general principles, not to be limited to that one event. She writes a number of things in the chapter that bear this out. For example:

Quote:
Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty....In the fate of the chosen city we may behold the doom of a world that has rejected God's mercy and trampled upon His law. (GC 36)

Quote:
T: Since you recognize that there are times when this view is clearly the case, how can you then assert this paints are "pretty poor picture of God," given this is a view you hold yourself? (by which I mean, you hold this view to be correct some portion of the time).

I believe there are times when "circumstances forced God to withdraw His protection and permit evil angels to cause death and destruction." But I do not agree with "the idea that God reluctantly, uncharacteristically does something that results in evil angels arbitrarily inflicting His children with death and destruction." I think this view "paints a pretty poor picture of God." Do you see the difference?

No, I don't see the point you're trying to make.

Btw, I have no problem agreeing with what you said here: "Circumstances forced God to withdraw His protection and permit evil angels to cause death and destruction." I would make it broader and say it this way: "Circumstances forced God to withdraw His protection and permit death and destruction to come upon those who have rejected His mercy." Is there anything in this statement, which is sticking very closely to how you expressed things, which you see as painting a poor picture of God?

Quote:
T: The Fifield quotes I've presented discuss this in detail. I don't have access to them right now. Three quick problems are:

M:1. Your answer implies what God is doing now to prevent death and destruction is a violation of free will.

The first chapter of the GC deals with this. Basically, God needs to protect us from destruction, or else we wouldn't have the opportunity to express freedom of choice. However, God has to allow Satan the opportunity to present his case, or else his charges against God would be true.

Quote:

2. Is there any evidence Satan cries foul play in response to God preventing death and destruction?

Job.

Quote:

3. God regularly allows people to suffer the natural cause and effect consequences of their poor decisions. But there are also many, many times when He intervenes and prevents things from playing out naturally.

Agreed.

Quote:
T:Assuming God withdrew His protection of forces which would cause an earthquake, and an earthquake resulted as a consequence, then one could hardly fairly accuse Moses and Aaron of being in cohoots with Satan.

M:I'm not sure I understand your interpretation of the PP quote. Are you saying they didn't attribute the judgments of God to Satan?

No. I'm saying they were accusing Moses and Aaron of being in league with Satan, which is not a fair accusation, given that od withdrew His protection of forces which would cause an earthquake, and an earthquake resulted as a consequence.

Quote:
In saying, "there's no doubt that Satan is indirectly responsible for all effects of sin", it sounds like you believe Satan is the one caused the ground to open up and swallow Korah and his companions.

Not directly. If it weren't for Satan, there wouldn't be any earthquakes, or any other bad thing, because all bad things come as the result of sin. That was my point.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #106385
12/22/08 09:13 PM
12/22/08 09:13 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
PS - What does it say about the character of God that He buried and burned sinners alive? What kind of God would do such a thing - bury and burn people alive?

I think you should answer this, since you are the one who believes this is what God is like.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #106392
12/22/08 10:28 PM
12/22/08 10:28 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
(I see Tom beat me to referencing Job smile )

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Also, the quotes you posted did not address the Flood or the final conflagration.

I believe it did.
And since, even though I requoted and underlined it, you do not see it as such is probably why you made this statement:
Quote:
That is, none of their sins, none of their activities, none of their behaviors, etc, impacted or negated any of the laws that God was upholding to prevent a global flood from happening naturally.

Quote:
I do not think, though I cannot know for certain, that water would return to its pre-creation state if God were to cease preventing it from doing so.

Where did the water go when He separated it? Keep in mind, Ellen White says that the seas then were not as large as now.

Quote:
Plus, God has not changed His moral law.

Why? Why one and not the other?

Quote:
Nor do I think God changed the laws of nature.

But I thought you did say that.

Quote:
It's just that certain laws no longer apply because the conditions they applied to no longer exist

Water no longer seeks lowest point? Nothing need to be changed there. It did before. It does now.

Quote:
I also see no significant difference in God commanding holy angels, or permitting evil angels, to employ the forces of nature to cause death and destruction.

I guess that is where we differ. The first couple of chapters of Job, I believe you would agree supports your idea there was no difference as to whether God is stretching forth His hand, or it was in Satan's hands.

I see a great difference. I'm not sure what your motivation of not seeing one is. You had asked for an inspired passage. I've quoted, requoted, and Tom has requoted it. "withdrawn", "protection", "holding in check", "restraint is removed". I don't know what more you need.

Why do you require your viewpoint of God? Do you remove the possibility exists of Tom's and my viewpoint? Would you be upset to find God doesn't directly causing death and destruction?

Quote:
Why does God reach a point where He is no longer willing to do whatever it takes to prevent death and destruction from happening?

Sounds like you are asking why do bad things happen to good people.
Which really means:
Why was satan allowed to make his choice?

Is that what you have been objecting to all along?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #106414
12/23/08 01:57 PM
12/23/08 01:57 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
M: I believe there are times when "circumstances forced God to withdraw His protection and permit evil angels to cause death and destruction." But I do not agree with "the idea that God reluctantly, uncharacteristically does something that results in evil angels arbitrarily inflicting His children with death and destruction." I think this view "paints a pretty poor picture of God." Do you see the difference?

T: No, I don't see the point you're trying to make.

I think Mountain Man is saying that God doesn't reluctantly, uncharacteristically do something that results of evil angels inflicting death and destruction (which results in a poor picture of God), but that He willingly and characteristically permits or allows evil angels to do it, or if they won't, God will do it Himself -- but in "love" (which results in a good picture of God).

Sorry, but that's what I see MM saying. If he should help explain why he thinks that that is love, or why he requires that kind of picture of God, I may be able to understand his viewpoint better. But without that understanding, he is painting .... shall I say... a pretty poor picture?

Mountain Man, do you see a big contradiction here? Do you hate (maybe too strong of a word, but the first that comes to mind) God, but yet feel compelled to defend Him? I mean, I've seen God hating, atheistic evolutionists express similar views, if I explained your statement correctly. I hope I totally misunderstood you and need to take Tom's position of, "No, I don't see the point you're trying to make".

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #106489
12/24/08 10:17 PM
12/24/08 10:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

M:Yes, it presents a flattering view of God. However, it is not the only means and method God uses to punish and destroy impenitent sinners.

T: This means you believe in a less flattering view of God. I agree with this.

This means you're being less flattering than God.

Quote:
M: "To interpret all those accounts to mean" God employed the same means and method is what I'm objecting to.

T: Yes, we disagree regarding this. I see the principles described in GC, the first chapter, as being general principles, not to be limited to that one event. She writes a number of things in the chapter that bear this out. For example: "Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty....In the fate of the chosen city we may behold the doom of a world that has rejected God's mercy and trampled upon His law. (GC 36)

This insight in no way supports your idea that God has never employed any other means and methods other than the one described here to cause death and destruction.

Quote:

M: I believe there are times when "circumstances forced God to withdraw His protection and permit evil angels to cause death and destruction." But I do not agree with "the idea that God reluctantly, uncharacteristically does something that results in evil angels arbitrarily inflicting His children with death and destruction." I think this view "paints a pretty poor picture of God." Do you see the difference?

T: No, I don't see the point you're trying to make.

God does nothing reluctantly or uncharacteristically. God is not wishy-washy like that.

Quote:
T: Btw, I have no problem agreeing with what you said here: "Circumstances forced God to withdraw His protection and permit evil angels to cause death and destruction." I would make it broader and say it this way: "Circumstances forced God to withdraw His protection and permit death and destruction to come upon those who have rejected His mercy." Is there anything in this statement, which is sticking very closely to how you expressed things, which you see as painting a poor picture of God?

My description is less flexible than the one you described. Yours allows for other reasons why death and destruction happens; whereas, mine states it happens specifically because of what Satan does. Neither one of these descriptions, however, paint an unfavorable picture of God - in my opinion.

Quote:

M:1. Your answer implies what God is doing now to prevent death and destruction is a violation of free will.

T: The first chapter of the GC deals with this. Basically, God needs to protect us from destruction, or else we wouldn't have the opportunity to express freedom of choice. However, God has to allow Satan the opportunity to present his case, or else his charges against God would be true.

We both agree God doesn't "have" to do anything. What He does He does because it is right and righteous. Satan was feeling pretty good about his chances of winning the GC until God pulled the plug and everyone, save eight, was destroyed in a Flood. Is there any evidence Satan cried, Foul play?

But you didn't address the issue I raised. If protecting sinners from the consequences of their sins would be a violation of their freedom at a certain point why wouldn't it be a violation of their freedom at every step of the way?

Quote:
M: 2. Is there any evidence Satan cries foul play in response to God preventing death and destruction?

T: Job.

I don't read in the book of Job where Satan cries, Foul play, because God is protecting him from death and destruction. It was God, not Satan, who brought up Job. Satan's complaint was just the opposite of what you said. He complained that Job loved and obeyed God because God blessed Him. Death and destruction did not happen until God gave Satan permission to afflict Job. Are you implying this is the death and destruction God was protecting Job from? If so, then such death and destruction was purely arbitrary.

Quote:
M: 3. God regularly allows people to suffer the natural cause and effect consequences of their poor decisions. But there are also many, many times when He intervenes and prevents things from playing out naturally.

T: Agreed.

Glad we can agree on something.

Quote:
T:Assuming God withdrew His protection of forces which would cause an earthquake, and an earthquake resulted as a consequence, then one could hardly fairly accuse Moses and Aaron of being in cohoots with Satan.

M:I'm not sure I understand your interpretation of the PP quote. Are you saying they didn't attribute the judgments of God to Satan?

T: No. I'm saying they were accusing Moses and Aaron of being in league with Satan, which is not a fair accusation, given that God withdrew His protection of forces which would cause an earthquake, and an earthquake resulted as a consequence.

Earthquake? Who said anything about an earthquake? Here's how it is described: As Moses ceased speaking, the earth opened and swallowed them up, and their tents, and all that pertained unto them. They went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed over them, and they perished from among the congregation. {4aSG 31.2}

The idea that these people and their stuff happened to be standing over a naturally occurring fault line, and that God ceased preventing it from naturally opening up and closing up long enough for them to be buried alive, seems rather far fetched and fanciful to me.

However, my question here concerns a different issue. It has to do with daring to attribute the judgments of God to Satan. Here's the quote again: Notwithstanding they had had the most convincing evidence of God's displeasure at their course, in the destruction of the men who had deceived them, they dared to attribute His judgments to Satan, declaring that through the power of the evil one, Moses and Aaron had caused the death of good and holy men. It was this act that sealed their doom. {PP 404.4}

Are you saying you agree that "they dared to attribute His judgments to Satan"? Are you saying you agree it was God, and not Satan, who did something that resulted in Korah and his comrades being buried and crushed alive in the earth? Is this what you meant when you wrote, "God withdrew His protection . . . and an earthquake resulted as a consequence."

Quote:
M: In saying, "there's no doubt that Satan is indirectly responsible for all effects of sin", it sounds like you believe Satan is the one caused the ground to open up and swallow Korah and his companions.

T: Not directly. If it weren't for Satan, there wouldn't be any earthquakes, or any other bad thing, because all bad things come as the result of sin. That was my point.

I don't understand what you're trying to saying here. Are you saying Satan did not cause the ground to open up and bury and crush them alive? If he didn't cause it to happen, who or what did? Did Korah sin in such a way that his sin caused the earth to open up and kill him?

In the following passage Ellen says God employs the forces of nature to do His will, to serve His purpose. It was God's will and purpose, therefore, to bury and crush Korah and his comrades alive in the earth. Listen:

God controls all these elements; they are his instruments to do his will; he calls them into action to serve his purpose. These fiery issues have been, and will be his agents to blot out from the earth very wicked cities. Like Korah, Dathan and Abiram they go down alive into the pit. These are evidences of God's power. . . These manifestations bear the special marks of God's power, and are designed to cause the people of the earth to tremble before him, and to silence those, who like Pharaoh would proudly say, "Who is the Lord that I should obey his voice?" {3SG 80}

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #106490
12/24/08 10:25 PM
12/24/08 10:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: What does it say about the character of God that He buried and burned sinners alive? What kind of God would do such a thing - bury and burn people alive?

T: I think you should answer this, since you are the one who believes this is what God is like.

What does it say about the character of God that He buried and burned sinners alive? He is a God mercy and justice.

What kind of God would do such a thing - bury and burn people alive? A God of mercy and justice.

Are you implying you do not believe God does such things? Are you saying God does not bury or burn people alive? If not God, then who or what buried and burned them alive? Why didn't God protect them from being buried and burned alive? Why didn't He withdraw their breath of life just before being buried and burned so that their pain and suffering was less severe and horrible?

PS - I am referring to the cases of Korah and the 250 priests mentioned above on this thread.

Page 47 of 71 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/19/24 01:25 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!