HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,611
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 48 of 71 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #106493
12/24/08 10:42 PM
12/24/08 10:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, I am sorry you are struggling with my view of God. But rather than lamenting what I believe, I would prefer it if you would simply explain what you believe. For example, how do you explain the fact God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer? How do you explain the fact God buried and burned the sinners named above?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #106500
12/24/08 11:39 PM
12/24/08 11:39 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: If by "more flattering" you mean "more flattering to God," I agree that the suggested interpretation that destruction comes when God withdraws His protection is more flattering to God.

M:Yes, it presents a flattering view of God. However, it is not the only means and method God uses to punish and destroy impenitent sinners.

T: This means you believe in a less flattering view of God. I agree with this.

M:This means you're being less flattering than God.

What?

You said the view I've been presenting is "more flattering," and it's a view you agree with, some of the time. Since you only agree with it some of the time, the rest of the time you believe in a less flattering view of God. This is the point I made. I don't know what point you are making.

Quote:
T: Yes, we disagree regarding this. I see the principles described in GC, the first chapter, as being general principles, not to be limited to that one event. She writes a number of things in the chapter that bear this out. For example: "Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty....In the fate of the chosen city we may behold the doom of a world that has rejected God's mercy and trampled upon His law. (GC 36)

M:This insight in no way supports your idea that God has never employed any other means and methods other than the one described here to cause death and destruction.

Yes it does. Here's your approach:

1.If the Bible says God did something "bad," then God did it.
2.Unless the SOP says otherwise.

I don't think this is a viable approach. To give examples of this, you wouldn't know that when Scripture says that God sent fiery serpents, that this really means that God withdrew His protection from the serpents that were already there. Or when Scripture says that God would destroy Jerusalem, this means that God withdrew His protection from them, as described in GC the first chapter. So you allow the SOP to interpret Scripture for you; without it, you're lost to know what was happening in Scripture.

What I believe is that the SOP communicated *principles* to us, so that *we*, armed with these principles, can interpret the Scriptures, without needing to rely on her for a case by case explanation of what's going on.

There's two approaches one can take, a principle-based one, or a case by case one.

Here's how what I cited from the SOP supports the principle-based approach. She wrote, "Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty....In the fate of the chosen city we may behold the doom of a world that has rejected God's mercy and trampled upon His law."

This means that what happened in Jerusalem serves as a pattern for other events where certain punishment falls upon the guilty, and, in particular, as a pattern for the last day events.

Quote:
God does nothing reluctantly or uncharacteristically. God is not wishy-washy like that.

God's being reluctant to destroy is not a case of His being "wishy-washy" but of His love for us.

Quote:
How shall I give thee up, Ephraim? how shall I deliver thee, Israel? how shall I make thee as Admah? how shall I set thee as Zeboim? mine heart is turned within me, my repentings are kindled together. (Hosea 11:8)

This eloquently describes God's reluctance.

Quote:
The severity of the retribution awaiting the transgressor may be judged by the Lord's reluctance to execute justice. The nation with which He bears long, and which He will not smite until it has filled up the measure of its iniquity in God's account, will finally drink the cup of wrath unmixed with mercy.(GC 627)

This also.

Quote:
T: Btw, I have no problem agreeing with what you said here: "Circumstances forced God to withdraw His protection and permit evil angels to cause death and destruction." I would make it broader and say it this way: "Circumstances forced God to withdraw His protection and permit death and destruction to come upon those who have rejected His mercy." Is there anything in this statement, which is sticking very closely to how you expressed things, which you see as painting a poor picture of God?

My description is less flexible than the one you described. Yours allows for other reasons why death and destruction happens; whereas, mine states it happens specifically because of what Satan does. Neither one of these descriptions, however, paint an unfavorable picture of God - in my opinion.

Obviously I'm aware of the fact that what I wrote is different than what you wrote, which I made known when I said, "I would make it broader and say it this way".

You didn't answer my question, which is if you see the broader way I put things as painting a poor picture of God. That is, this: "Circumstances forced God to withdraw His protection and permit death and destruction to come upon those who have rejected His mercy."

Quote:
But you didn't address the issue I raised. If protecting sinners from the consequences of their sins would be a violation of their freedom at a certain point why wouldn't it be a violation of their freedom at every step of the way?

If God did not protect sinners from the consequences of their sins, they would die immediately, and not be able to choose to repent. God acts in a way to maximize freedom. He gives people the opportunity to choose, in as much as it is possible for Him to do so, between good and evil.

Regarding Job, I see the book of Job as dealing with the issue you raised in regards to Satan. If you don't see that, then we disagree.

Regarding Korah, here's what the Columbia encyclopedia has to say:

Quote:
1 Levite leader, with Dathan and Abiram, of the unsuccessful revolt in the desert against the exclusive priesthood of the Aaronic family and against the leadership of Moses; the rebels were consumed by fire and earthquake.

A google query of "Korah earthquake" turned up over 9,000 hits.

You seemed surprised that I would have such a thought, but it's actually quite a common thought.

Regarding the rebels, they claimed Moses and Aaron were acting as agents of Satan. They weren't. They were acting as agents of God, who withdrew His protection from Korah, resulting in His death.

Regarding the rest of what you wrote, I said this:

Quote:
T: Not directly. If it weren't for Satan, there wouldn't be any earthquakes, or any other bad thing, because all bad things come as the result of sin. That was my point.

I don't see what's difficult to understand about this. No, I'm not saying that Satan directly caused an earthquake to occur, as you can note by the words, "Not directly."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #106594
12/27/08 05:28 PM
12/27/08 05:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, when you quote uninspired sources to prove your point it does nothing to impress me to agree with you. Quoting such sources is a waste of time. It serves no purpose whatsoever. So why bother?

Also, you have yet to explain why God commanded His chosen people to kill sinners. You can argue all day long against what I believe but it is not the same as explaining what you believe. Don't you think it is time to explain it? In particular, please explain why God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer. Thank you.

PS - Please don't tell me you've explained it dozens of times and then expect me to figure it out. Just spell it out clearly here and now. Thank you.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #106598
12/27/08 06:12 PM
12/27/08 06:12 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, when you quote uninspired sources to prove your point it does nothing to impress me to agree with you.

By reading and understanding the principles being communicated, a person might be led to understand the truth more clearly. That's my goal in citing the thing said. It's not by way of authority that I'm trying to convince you of something, but by way of truth, truth expressed as ideas.

Quote:
Quoting such sources is a waste of time. It serves no purpose whatsoever. So why bother?

If God has communicated truth to others, and others have communicated this truth to us, it should serve a purpose. It shouldn't be "a waste of time."

Truth is truth. It doesn't matter who says it. The Holy Spirit enables us to see and recognize truth.

Regarding your other question, I cited "The Ever-Loving Father." As I stated, I could not explain the principles better than that.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #106683
12/29/08 01:18 AM
12/29/08 01:18 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Whatever!!! I'm not going to beg you any more to state your position plainly. Game over!

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #106694
12/29/08 04:28 AM
12/29/08 04:28 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok, MM. As I stated, I can't explain it more clearly than what I provided for you.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #106706
12/29/08 01:57 PM
12/29/08 01:57 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
I would prefer it if you would simply explain what you believe.

I have. And I have failed. Or you have rejected it. Either way, repeating what I've already said, would not be of benefit to you. If you are unable to see a clearly explained statement from Ellen White, how can we move on to more complex topics? Since I cannot be a benefit to you, I am trying to benefit from you. Others share your view and whether it is due to some unmet need or other motivation, I wish to understand why they, and you, take the view of God you do.

Quote:
What does it say about the character of God that He buried and burned sinners alive? He is a God mercy and justice.

What kind of God would do such a thing - bury and burn people alive? A God of mercy and justice.

Mercy, mercy!

I went to a public school and some of the required readings were "1984" and "Brave New World". By any chance have you read those books?

God says He killed Saul. I say that you need to understand more and compare texts which say Saul fell on his sword. God killed Saul in that he didn't protect Saul anymore. But, did God directly kill Saul? You may say yes, or some other explanation. However, how do you explain the following?

From the afore quoted GC quote, pages 35-37:
Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.

Read the paragraph, in context, and tell me what you think Ellen White is saying here in those pages.

Re: The Covenants [Re: kland] #106721
12/29/08 07:33 PM
12/29/08 07:33 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
kland: I have. And I have failed. Or you have rejected it. Either way, repeating what I've already said, would not be of benefit to you. If you are unable to see a clearly explained statement from Ellen White, how can we move on to more complex topics? Since I cannot be a benefit to you, I am trying to benefit from you. Others share your view and whether it is due to some unmet need or other motivation, I wish to understand why they, and you, take the view of God you do.

could i suggest that at first it can seem as pure heresy? i know when i first heard something along this line, given my mentality and background, it sounded good but so alien....

it is not something i studied into but picked up here and there. for instance, in reading romans this hit me:
Quote:
Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

this told me the homosexuals life was none of my business, and i didnt need to go around judging and condemning him, not that i was particularly inclined to do so, anyway, but i was hearing so much about them.

then i got lbm.orgs "lift Him up" series because im into prophecy, and read the "wrath of God" articles, which pointed at the verses that specifically stated how Gods wrath=God leaving people to the consequences of their decisions, regardless of how many times He said He did such and such. but, still i walked with care so-to-speak.

does God kill sometimes, or never? i dont really know. but i can see why a person would want to be careful in believing He never does, given the texts that would indicate He does without specific texts to the contrary in each situation.

then to make matters worse, because i am so used to a different way of thinking i can completely forget what i used to believe.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Covenants [Re: teresaq] #106725
12/29/08 07:54 PM
12/29/08 07:54 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
teresaq, thanks for sharing Romans 1:27, the part in red. This was new for me. Very nice thought!

Quote:
Then to make matters worse, because i am so used to a different way of thinking i can completely forget what i used to believe.

Shades of Piaget! Yes, this is indeed a challenge. When our paradigm shifts, it changes how we perceive everything, making it difficult to remember how we used to perceive things. One of the more challenging things in trying to explain concepts is to get ourselves in somebody else's head, so to speak; that is, to understand their paradigm.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #106772
12/30/08 03:14 PM
12/30/08 03:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, please hear me. Yes, I agree there are times when God withdraws His protection and permits sinners to suffer the consequences of their sins. But there are also other means and methods He employs to accomplish His will and purpose. For example, He commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer. Do you agree?

Page 48 of 71 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!