HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,329 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 31 of 32 1 2 29 30 31 32
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #106254
12/18/08 10:24 PM
12/18/08 10:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Finally, the thing that I am having the hardest time understanding, the one thing you have yet to plainly explain, is why you interpret insights like the following one to mean the Holy Spirit does not reveal to people all of the sins they practiced before rebirth, that insights like this one mean the Holy Spirit waits to reveal certain sinful practices until some time after they are reborn: "The sins that were practised before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man." (SD 300)

T: I thought we agree that there were too many sins for God to reveal all of them, that what He does instead is to reveal certain representative sins.

We’re talking about “sinful practices”, not the zillions of sins people commit before they experience rebirth. We both agree the zillions of different ways people sin fall under a handful of headings and subheadings. So, once again, you have not addressed a critical point and question. Please, Tom, do me a favor and address this point, answer the question. Again, here's the question:

Finally, the thing that I am having the hardest time understanding, the one thing you have yet to plainly explain, is why you interpret insights like the following one to mean the Holy Spirit does not reveal to people all of the sins they practiced before rebirth, that insights like this one mean the Holy Spirit waits to reveal certain sinful practices until some time after they are reborn: "The sins that were practised before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man." (SD 300)

Quote:
M: It would be extremely helpful if you would supply inspired quotes from the Bible and/or the SOP which plainly say people who experience genuine rebirth are born again with some of their sinful practices unrevealed, unconfessed, and uncrucified, that they are born again in certain ways no different than they were before they experienced rebirth in that they still practice some of the sins they cultivated before they accepted Jesus as their Savior.

T: She makes the point that known sins are put away. Of course this is the case. She is counteracting the idea of some that because one is under grace, it is OK to continue with known sins. She has statements that make it clear that she didn't believe in instant sanctification, that there were things, sins, that God would need to reveal to us during our growth as Christians. I know Rosangela has cited some of these to you.

You did it again, Tom. You totally avoided my earnest request. I am begging you, please, please, please, honor my request. In the past you have posted quotes to prove Ellen believed people are born again with some of their former sinful habits and practices in tact, that is, unrevealed, unconfessed, and uncrucified; but it turns out that’s not what she was saying at all.

Instead, in those quotes you have posted in the past, she is describing the fact that even after rebirth, even while abiding in Jesus, believers must still continue to labor, agonize, wrestle, and strive to keep under control, to rein in, to prevent their hereditary and cultivated weaknesses, defects, and tendencies from resurfacing, from regaining control of them.

However, she never once says having these hereditary and cultivated weaknesses, defects, and tendencies is a sin, or having to rein them in is a sin. Being tempted from within by these unhappy aspects of fallen nature is not a sin; having to fight every minute of every day to beat them back, to withstand their attacks, to prevent them from gaining the ascendancy is not a sin. Successfully keeping them under the control of a sanctified will and mind is what it means to overcome as Christ overcame. It’s not something believers must eventually rid themselves of to achieve righteousness or sanctification.

Sanctification is the work of a lifetime including eternal life. Sanctification is the eternal process of becoming more and more mature in the fruits of the Spirit. But some people seem to think sanctification is the gradual process of sinning less and less until they cease sinning altogether. But this view is not found or supported in the Bible or the SOP.

Again, it would be extremely helpful if you would supply inspired quotes from the Bible and/or the SOP which plainly say (by “plainly say” I mean quotes which do require any type of interpretation or extrapolation) people who experience genuine rebirth continue practicing some of their former sinful habits because the Holy Spirit thought it best, for whatever reason, not to reveal those particular sinful practices to them.

Quote:
M: Also, I realize you are loathe to name concrete examples of sinful practices the Holy Spirit waits to reveal until some time after people are born again, therefore, please simply quote the examples used in the Bible or the SOP. If there aren't any examples in the Bible or the SOP, then please explain why? Thank you.

T: This is like a bad virus that won't go away. You've asked me this question probably over 50 times, and I've responded many, many, many times. You can use the search utility to find some answers.

Yeah, I know what you mean about this issue being a bad virus that won’t go away. I’ve repeatedly asked it and you normally say you’ve answered it dozens of times, and yet I cannot find them. I do recall, however, you naming things like self-pity, polygamy, smoking, and social drinking as examples of sinful practices the Holy Spirit often waits to reveal until some time after they experience rebirth and baptism and join a church. You claim reality supports your view, but you have never actually posted inspired quotes to support your assertions. I'm asking now. You can put this virus to rest by simply posting inspired quotes which clearly state your position (by “clearly state” I mean quotes which do require any type of interpretation or extrapolation). Thank you.

Quote:
M: The definition of sin you quoted includes sins of ignorance.

T: No it doesn't. “Said the angel, "If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject."(SG4b page 3; emphasis mine) Also this is verifiable by actual experience. Christians do commit sins of ignorance after being born again. Smoking, drinking, and not keeping the Sabbath are examples I've given.

See what I mean? You just reiterated what I recalled you saying in the past about this issue. The idea that the biblical definition of sin excludes sins committed in ignorance is unbiblical. True, God does not impute guilt and condemnation in cases involving sins of ignorance, but this insight in no way implies no sin has been committed. The fact such things are referred to as “sins” of ignorance makes it clear they are considered sins.

Also, pointing to Christians who smoke and drink and break the Sabbath as proof people are born again before they confess and crucify such sinful practices puts the cart before the horse, it begs the question. One could just as easily “prove” Sabbath-keeping is no longer required by pointing out the fact most Christians do not keep it. Just because people do something doesn’t prove it is right or wrong. The law of God is the great standard of right, the revealer of righteousness and the detector of sin. Just because the majority of Christians sin doesn’t mean sinning is right or normal.

Quote:
T: I disagree with your whole conception of the problem of sin, and the solution. I see the problem being that outlined by EGW in the first chapter of "The Desire of Ages." To summarize in my own words what she outlined here:

a.There is a law of life for the universe, which is characterized by self-sacrificing love. This is the "circuit of beneficence" she speaks of, where one receives from the hand of God to give to others (including back to God Himself).
b.This law was broken, by Lucifer, who sought to exalt himself, which is the essence of sin.
c.Satan, in order to exalt himself, misrepresented God. This is how he deceived both angels and men.
d.The world became dark with misunderstanding in relation to God. In order to set things straight, God sent His Son, with healing in His wings, to reveal the truth about God.

In ST 1/20/90 she says this was the "whole purpose" of His mission on earth. I understand the atonement in this context. I understand all the statements you quote from her in this context.

Amen! Yes, Jesus came to set the record straight about the character and kingdom of God. No doubt about it. And, yet, we are still here 2,000 years later. Why? The fact we are still here implies Jesus has not yet won the GC. He said the end will come when everyone everywhere decides for or against the gospel. It doesn’t matter as much, then, what Jesus did 2,000 years ago, what matters more is what Jesus is doing now.

So, what is Jesus doing now? What are His goals? What must He do before He can win the GC? Does it depend on what He does in heaven? Or, does it depend more on what He does in and through saints and sinners on earth? I believe it is the latter. To win the GC, to restore paradise lost, to put an end to sin and sinners – Jesus must produce His bride, a church without spot or wrinkle. Listen:

"When the fruit is brought forth, immediately he putteth in the sickle, because the harvest is come." Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69.1}

We can study what Jesus did 2,000 years ago for the next 10,000 years and it wouldn’t make the end come any sooner. It is not enough to study what Jesus experienced while He was here, we need to experience it, too. Until we do, we shall have to continue wandering in the wilderness of sin.

“One subject of emulation must swallow up all others--who will most nearly resemble Christ in character? who will most entirely hide self in Jesus? {6T 42.2} “Christ in you, the hope of glory.” That’s what it’s all about. Not, as you seem to think, Jesus by Himself apart from us. “Abide in me, and I in you . . . that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.” (John 15:4, 8)

Quote:
M: On a different note, I agree with you that people can abide in Jesus while also unwittingly committing some of the sins they practiced and cultivated ignorantly before they experienced rebirth. But this isn't saying much since we disagree greatly as to what constitutes or qualifies as sins of ignorance.

T: Actually I think this is an important clarification. You agree that 1 John 3:9 does not mean that a Christian cannot ignorantly sin, a point I have been stressing. If we are simply disagreeing as to what constitutes "sins of ignorance," that's a much small difference than if we are disagreeing as to what the text is saying.

Since studying with you I have changed my mind about 1 John 3:9. I now believe John is describing a fully justified and sanctified born again believer. I do not believe he is referring to Christians who have not yet attained unto perfection of character, who have not yet learned how to obey everything Jesus commanded, who are still ignorantly violating certain commandments and requirements. So, again, we may agree it is possible to abide in Jesus while sinning ignorantly, it’s just that I do not believe John is talking about this in 1 John 3:9. So again, our greatest disagreement has to do with what constitutes and qualifies as a sin of ignorance.

Quote:
M: I suspect you could argue that any and all sins can, under the right situation, qualify as a sin of ignorance. Let me ask you a question to verify my suspicions: Can you name a sin that under no circumstances could qualify as a sin of ignorance? I have in mind Paul's Gentiles and Ellen's savages who effectively live in harmony with the law of God without ever having read or heard about Jesus.

T: Romans 1 speaks of no one being without excuse for acknowledging God and giving Him thanks, because He has made Himself known, so that would be an example.

But it’s not an example of a sin of ignorance, is it? I mean, how can it be if they are without excuse, if they know God? What you just wrote could be taken to mean there is no such thing as sins of ignorance. Here’s the question again: Can you name a sin that under no circumstances could qualify as a sin of ignorance?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #106258
12/18/08 11:32 PM
12/18/08 11:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:Finally, the thing that I am having the hardest time understanding, the one thing you have yet to plainly explain, is why you interpret insights like the following one to mean the Holy Spirit does not reveal to people all of the sins they practiced before rebirth, that insights like this one mean the Holy Spirit waits to reveal certain sinful practices until some time after they are reborn: "The sins that were practised before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man." (SD 300)

Clearly these are sins the person being converted is aware of. He can't put away sins he's not aware of. That there are such sins are clear in that there have been Christians who drank (e.g. Luther), smoked (e.g. Charles Spurgeon), didn't keep the Sabbath (William Miller).

Quote:
Again, it would be extremely helpful if you would supply inspired quotes from the Bible and/or the SOP which plainly say (by “plainly say” I mean quotes which do require any type of interpretation or extrapolation) people who experience genuine rebirth continue practicing some of their former sinful habits because the Holy Spirit thought it best, for whatever reason, not to reveal those particular sinful practices to them.

I've cited some examples. There was a time when Ellen White didn't keep the Sabbath, so there's another one.

Quote:
You claim reality supports your view, but you have never actually posted inspired quotes to support your assertions. I'm asking now.

There's an inspired quote that says that William Miller will be in heaven.

Quote:

T: No it doesn't. “Said the angel, "If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject."(SG4b page 3; emphasis mine) Also this is verifiable by actual experience. Christians do commit sins of ignorance after being born again. Smoking, drinking, and not keeping the Sabbath are examples I've given.

M:See what I mean?

No. What do you mean?

Quote:
You just reiterated what I recalled you saying in the past about this issue.

I'll probably do the same thing when you ask me about it again.

Quote:
The idea that the biblical definition of sin excludes sins committed in ignorance is unbiblical.

No it's not. The meaning of words depends upon their context. "Sin" may or may not mean a sin of ignorance. In the case quoted above, "sin" clearly does not include sins of ignorance. Indeed, this point could not be more clearly articulated than it was: "there is no sin."

Quote:
True, God does not impute guilt and condemnation in cases involving sins of ignorance, but this insight in no way implies no sin has been committed.

The statement "there is no sin" implies that there is no sin.

Quote:
The fact such things are referred to as “sins” of ignorance makes it clear they are considered sins.

Also, pointing to Christians who smoke and drink and break the Sabbath as proof people are born again before they confess and crucify such sinful practices puts the cart before the horse, it begs the question. One could just as easily “prove” Sabbath-keeping is no longer required by pointing out the fact most Christians do not keep it. Just because people do something doesn’t prove it is right or wrong. The law of God is the great standard of right, the revealer of righteousness and the detector of sin. Just because the majority of Christians sin doesn’t mean sinning is right or normal.

Saying that William Miller will be in heaven even though he did not give up the sinful practice of breaking the Sabbath is not putting the cart before the horse. We both know that Sabbath-breaking is a sinful practice. That's not under dispute. You have a theory of instant sanctification, that people, when born again, no longer commit sinful practices, but William Miller is a perfect counter example to this theory. We have inspired evidence that he will be in heaven, yet he did not give up this sinful practice.

I think it's very likely Luther will be in heaven, don't you? He drank.

I think it's likely Spurgeon will be in heaven. He smoked.

This doesn't mean that smoking, drinking, or Sabbath-breaking are not sinful practices, but that these are sins of ignorance which born-again people may commit, which disproves your theory.

Regarding your comment from Amen on, I didn't understand your point. Especially this:

Quote:
Not, as you seem to think, Jesus by Himself apart from us.

Where did you get such a goofy idea? I've not in the 5 or 6 years we've been discussing things suggested such an idea in any way.

Quote:
Since studying with you I have changed my mind about 1 John 3:9. I now believe John is describing a fully justified and sanctified born again believer.

John says, "whosoever is born of God." You think this means not "whosoever is born of God," but "some of those who are born of God"?

Quote:
So again, our greatest disagreement has to do with what constitutes and qualifies as a sin of ignorance.

Actually, I think we agree on this. A sin which one does in ignorance is a sin of ignorance. You agree with this, right?

Where we disagree is that you don't think a properly indoctrinated SDA can commit any sins of ignorance, or, to state the matter in a different way, any possible sin which can be committed is known by any properly indoctrinated SDA. It is because you hold this view that I think your view of sin is woefully inadequate. You also don't believe any person whatsoever can commit a sin of ignorance which involves the last 6 commandments, to which I would make the same observation.

Quote:
M: I suspect you could argue that any and all sins can, under the right situation, qualify as a sin of ignorance. Let me ask you a question to verify my suspicions: Can you name a sin that under no circumstances could qualify as a sin of ignorance? I have in mind Paul's Gentiles and Ellen's savages who effectively live in harmony with the law of God without ever having read or heard about Jesus.

T: Romans 1 speaks of no one being without excuse for acknowledging God and giving Him thanks, because He has made Himself known, so that would be an example.

M:But it’s not an example of a sin of ignorance, is it?

No, it's an example of a sin which cannot be a sin of ignorance, which is what you asked for (see underlined portion).

Quote:
I mean, how can it be if they are without excuse, if they know God? What you just wrote could be taken to mean there is no such thing as sins of ignorance. Here’s the question again: Can you name a sin that under no circumstances could qualify as a sin of ignorance?

Here's the answer again: Romans 1 speaks of no one being without excuse for acknowledging God and giving Him thanks, because He has made Himself known.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #106341
12/20/08 10:03 PM
12/20/08 10:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M:Finally, the thing that I am having the hardest time understanding, the one thing you have yet to plainly explain, is why you interpret insights like the following one to mean the Holy Spirit does not reveal to people all of the sins they practiced before rebirth, that insights like this one mean the Holy Spirit waits to reveal certain sinful practices until some time after they are reborn: "The sins that were practised before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man." (SD 300) NOTE: We’re talking about “sinful practices”, not the zillions of sins people commit before they experience rebirth. We both agree the zillions of different ways people sin fall under a handful of headings and subheadings.

T: Clearly these are sins the person being converted is aware of. He can't put away sins he's not aware of. That there are such sins are clear in that there have been Christians who drank (e.g. Luther), smoked (e.g. Charles Spurgeon), didn't keep the Sabbath (William Miller).

Clearly? Not so. "The sins that were practised before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man." (SD 300) She obviously is talking about Christians who were fully informed of everything Jesus commanded us to obey. She could not have been talking about believers who lived during the Dark Ages like the ones you named. It is unsound and dangerous to dismiss the obvious meaning of her words in favor of your personal view. It is always and only safe to let the prophets speak for themselves. Therefore, please post passages where she interprets these words to mean what you say they mean. Thank you.

Quote:
M: Again, it would be extremely helpful if you would supply inspired quotes from the Bible and/or the SOP which plainly say (by “plainly say” I mean quotes which do require any type of interpretation or extrapolation) people who experience genuine rebirth continue practicing some of their former sinful habits because the Holy Spirit thought it best, for whatever reason, not to reveal those particular sinful practices to them.

T: I've cited some examples. There was a time when Ellen White didn't keep the Sabbath, so there's another one.

Pointing to the sins Christians committed during the Dark Ages as proof Ellen didn’t mean what she wrote is hardly fair to her. It borders on blasphemy. I do not trust you to be unbiased. There is too much at stake. I need to hear it from her. Therefore, please post passages where she interprets these words to mean what you say they mean. Thank you.

Quote:

M: The idea that the biblical definition of sin excludes sins committed in ignorance is unbiblical.

T: No it's not. The meaning of words depends upon their context. "Sin" may or may not mean a sin of ignorance. In the case quoted above, "sin" clearly does not include sins of ignorance. Indeed, this point could not be more clearly articulated than it was: "there is no sin."

M: True, God does not impute guilt and condemnation in cases involving sins of ignorance, but this insight in no way implies no sin has been committed. The fact such things are referred to as “sins” of ignorance makes it clear they are considered sins.

T: The statement "there is no sin" implies that there is no sin.

Your quote (see below) is dealing specifically with whether the Sabbath should commence at 6pm or at some other time. The meaning of “even” in relation to the Sabbath had not yet been made clear to the young Adventists.

Quote:
I saw it was even so, "From even unto even shall ye celebrate your Sabbath." Said the angel, "Take the word of God, read it, understand, and ye cannot err. Read carefully, and ye shall there find what even is, and when it is." I asked the angel if the frown of God had been upon his people for commencing the Sabbath as they have. I was directed back to the first rise of the Sabbath. I followed the people of God up to this time, and did not see that God was displeased, or frowned upon them. I inquired why it had been thus, that at this late day we must change the time of commencing the Sabbath. Said the angel, "Ye shall understand, but not yet, not yet." Said the angel, "If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject." I saw that it was in the minds of some that the Lord had shown that the Sabbath commenced at six o'clock, when I had only seen that it commenced at "even," and it was inferred that even was at six. I saw the servants of God must draw together, press together. {4bSG 3.3}

The truth never changes. And the truth is it is a sin to violate the Sabbath even by one minute. It does not matter if it is violated in ignorance. As with all sins of ignorance God does not impute guilt or condemnation. Nevertheless, sin happens. We cannot twist this quote to mean sin does not happen if people have no idea what they are doing is a sin. Ignorance does not cancel sin.

Quote:
M: Also, pointing to Christians who smoke and drink and break the Sabbath as proof people are born again before they confess and crucify such sinful practices puts the cart before the horse, it begs the question. One could just as easily “prove” Sabbath-keeping is no longer required by pointing out the fact most Christians do not keep it. Just because people do something doesn’t prove it is right or wrong. The law of God is the great standard of right, the revealer of righteousness and the detector of sin. Just because the majority of Christians sin doesn’t mean sinning is right or normal.

T: Saying that William Miller will be in heaven even though he did not give up the sinful practice of breaking the Sabbath is not putting the cart before the horse. We both know that Sabbath-breaking is a sinful practice. That's not under dispute. You have a theory of instant sanctification, that people, when born again, no longer commit sinful practices, but William Miller is a perfect counter example to this theory. We have inspired evidence that he will be in heaven, yet he did not give up this sinful practice.

I think it's very likely Luther will be in heaven, don't you? He drank.

I think it's likely Spurgeon will be in heaven. He smoked.

This doesn't mean that smoking, drinking, or Sabbath-breaking are not sinful practices, but that these are sins of ignorance which born-again people may commit, which disproves your theory.

Again, just because people during the Dark Ages experienced rebirth before they learned how to obey everything Jesus commanded does not prove the SOP quotations which depict believers being born again without the sinful practices they cultivated prior to rebirth should be interpreted to mean the Holy Spirit often waits nowadays to reveal certain sinful practices until sometime after they experience rebirth. That’s what we’re really talking about here.

You wrote, “You have a theory of instant sanctification, that people, when born again, no longer commit sinful practices . . .” Do you have proof of this accusation? I can assure you I do not believe this way.

Quote:
T: Regarding your comment from Amen on, I didn't understand your point. Especially this: “Not, as you seem to think, Jesus by Himself apart from us.” Where did you get such a goofy idea? I've not in the 5 or 6 years we've been discussing things suggested such an idea in any way.

Here’s what I wrote: We can study what Jesus did 2,000 years ago for the next 10,000 years and it wouldn’t make the end come any sooner. It is not enough to study what Jesus experienced while He was here, we need to experience it, too. Until we do, we shall have to continue wandering in the wilderness of sin.

“One subject of emulation must swallow up all others--who will most nearly resemble Christ in character? who will most entirely hide self in Jesus? {6T 42.2} “Christ in you, the hope of glory.” That’s what it’s all about. Not, as you seem to think, Jesus by Himself apart from us. “Abide in me, and I in you . . . that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.” (John 15:4, 8)

This was written in response to what you wrote. “The world became dark with misunderstanding in relation to God. In order to set things straight, God sent His Son, with healing in His wings, to reveal the truth about God. In ST 1/20/90 she says this was the "whole purpose" of His mission on earth. I understand the atonement in this context. I understand all the statements you quote from her in this context.”

You stated this so strongly it made me think you believe everything needs to be interpreted in the context of what Jesus did to disprove Satan’s accusations and to prove the truth about God’s character. Turns out I was wrong. You think such an idea is goofy. Now I know. However, I still don’t know what you believe. I believe the focus of everything is “Christ in you, the hope of glory”. Do you agree?

Quote:
M: Since studying with you I have changed my mind about 1 John 3:9. I now believe John is describing a fully justified and sanctified born again believer.

T: John says, "whosoever is born of God." You think this means not "whosoever is born of God," but "some of those who are born of God"?

It's talking about those who are born again without their former sinful practices. This obviously doesn’t apply to those who are born again nowadays with some of their sinful practices in tact.

Quote:
M: So again, our greatest disagreement has to do with what constitutes and qualifies as a sin of ignorance.

T: Actually, I think we agree on this. A sin which one does in ignorance is a sin of ignorance. You agree with this, right? Where we disagree is that you don't think a properly indoctrinated SDA can commit any sins of ignorance, or, to state the matter in a different way, any possible sin which can be committed is known by any properly indoctrinated SDA. It is because you hold this view that I think your view of sin is woefully inadequate. You also don't believe any person whatsoever can commit a sin of ignorance which involves the last 6 commandments, to which I would make the same observation.

As I said, “Our greatest disagreement has to do with what constitutes and qualifies as a sin of ignorance.”

Quote:

M:But it’s not an example of a sin of ignorance, is it?

T: No, it's an example of a sin which cannot be a sin of ignorance, which is what you asked for (see underlined portion).

Okay, I misread what you wrote. So, I hear you saying no one can ignorantly fail to acknowledge God or give Him thanks. That is, everyone knows God and not giving Him thanks is inexcusable. Is this the only example you can think of? In other words, can you name any other sin that under no circumstances could qualify as a sin of ignorance? Or, can you argue that all other sins can, under the right situation, qualify as a sin of ignorance?

Quote:
M: It would be extremely helpful if you would supply inspired quotes from the Bible and/or the SOP which plainly say people who experience genuine rebirth are born again with some of their sinful practices unrevealed, unconfessed, and uncrucified, that they are born again in certain ways no different than they were before they experienced rebirth in that they still practice some of the sins they cultivated before they accepted Jesus as their Savior.

T: She makes the point that known sins are put away. Of course this is the case. She is counteracting the idea of some that because one is under grace, it is OK to continue with known sins. She has statements that make it clear that she didn't believe in instant sanctification, that there were things, sins, that God would need to reveal to us during our growth as Christians. I know Rosangela has cited some of these to you.

You did it again, Tom. You totally avoided my earnest request. I am begging you, please, please, please, honor my request. In the past you have posted quotes to prove Ellen believed people are born again with some of their former sinful habits and practices in tact, that is, unrevealed, unconfessed, and uncrucified; but it turns out that’s not what she was saying at all.

Instead, in those quotes you have posted in the past, she is describing the fact that even after rebirth, even while abiding in Jesus, believers must still continue to labor, agonize, wrestle, and strive to keep under control, to rein in, to prevent their hereditary and cultivated weaknesses, defects, and tendencies from resurfacing, from regaining control of them.

However, she never once says having these hereditary and cultivated weaknesses, defects, and tendencies is a sin, or having to rein them in is a sin. Being tempted from within by these unhappy aspects of fallen nature is not a sin; having to fight every minute of every day to beat them back, to withstand their attacks, to prevent them from gaining the ascendancy is not a sin. Successfully keeping them under the control of a sanctified will and mind is what it means to overcome as Christ overcame. It’s not something believers must eventually rid themselves of to achieve righteousness or sanctification.

Sanctification is the work of a lifetime including eternal life. Sanctification is the eternal process of becoming more and more mature in the fruits of the Spirit. But some people seem to think sanctification is the gradual process of sinning less and less until they cease sinning altogether. But this view is not found or supported in the Bible or the SOP.

Quote:
M: Also, I realize you are loathe to name concrete examples of sinful practices the Holy Spirit waits to reveal until some time after people are born again, therefore, please simply quote the examples used in the Bible or the SOP. If there aren't any examples in the Bible or the SOP, then please explain why? Thank you.

T: This is like a bad virus that won't go away. You've asked me this question probably over 50 times, and I've responded many, many, many times. You can use the search utility to find some answers.

Yeah, I know what you mean about this issue being a bad virus that won’t go away. I’ve repeatedly asked it and you normally say you’ve answered it dozens of times, and yet I cannot find them. I do recall, however, you naming things like self-pity, polygamy, smoking, and social drinking as examples of sinful practices the Holy Spirit often waits to reveal until some time after they experience rebirth and baptism and join a church. You claim reality supports your view, but you have never actually posted inspired quotes to support your assertions. I'm asking now. You can put this virus to rest by simply posting inspired quotes which clearly state your position (by “clearly state” I mean quotes which do require any type of interpretation or extrapolation). Thank you.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #106350
12/21/08 03:06 AM
12/21/08 03:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Clearly? Not so. "The sins that were practised before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man." (SD 300) She obviously is talking about Christians who were fully informed of everything Jesus commanded us to obey.

No she's not. She's talking about people who are born again, the same as the passage to Nicodemus. She's not talking about a special subset of those who have had Bible Studies by properly indoctrinated SDA's.

Quote:
She could not have been talking about believers who lived during the Dark Ages like the ones you named.

William Miller, Dark Ages? Until recently, there were many Christians who smoked. It wasn't widely known that there was anything wrong with smoking until the 1960's. That's here. Other countries lagged behind.

Quote:
It is unsound and dangerous to dismiss the obvious meaning of her words in favor of your personal view.

If these were the obvious meaning of her words, shouldn't everyone share your point of view regarding them? I can't think of anyone who does. This isn't an argument that your view is incorrect, but it certainly demonstrates that it's not "obvious."

Quote:
It is always and only safe to let the prophets speak for themselves. Therefore, please post passages where she interprets these words to mean what you say they mean. Thank you.

Why don't you post some passage which presents the view you are suggesting? There aren't any. Since there aren't, all I can do is present passages which present what she actually says, like this one:

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. (DA 175)

Here is a simple, easy to understand explanation of how one is saved. None of the things you're suggesting are included here.

Going back to the passages you quotes, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that she had in mind some subset of people, that the principles she was speaking of didn't included people like Luther, Spurgeon, or William Miller who lived in the "Dark Ages."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #106356
12/21/08 09:34 AM
12/21/08 09:34 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:I've cited some examples. There was a time when Ellen White didn't keep the Sabbath, so there's another one.

M:Pointing to the sins Christians committed during the Dark Ages as proof Ellen didn’t mean what she wrote is hardly fair to her. It borders on blasphemy. I do not trust you to be unbiased. There is too much at stake. I need to hear it from her. Therefore, please post passages where she interprets these words to mean what you say they mean. Thank you.

I don't understand this. First of all, Ellen White did not live in the Dark Ages. Neither did Spurgeon or William Miller. Secondly, I'm not offering proof that Ellen didn't mean what she wrote, but that your interpretation of what she wrote is wrong. Thirdly, why would presenting counter examples of your ideas be blasphemy? Fourth, I've presented statements of her explaining what's involved in conversion. For example, DA 175. You are the one going beyond this to suggest things she never said. Under your view, no one who smokes or drinks can be born again. This isn't true even in post Dark Ages time. If it were true in Dark Ages time, that fact alone would be sufficient to disprove your ideas in regards to conversion, because the principles of conversion haven't changed since Adam fell.

Quote:
You wrote, “You have a theory of instant sanctification, that people, when born again, no longer commit sinful practices . . .” Do you have proof of this accusation? I can assure you I do not believe this way.

This whole thread you've been arguing that born again Christians have no sinful practices. At least, this is what I've been understanding you to say. If this isn't what you believe, please cite for me some sinful practice that you believe born again Christs have.

Quote:
Here’s what I wrote: We can study what Jesus did 2,000 years ago for the next 10,000 years and it wouldn’t make the end come any sooner.

I'm not sure what you would say this. Surely you're aware of the following:

Quote:
It would be well for us to spend a thoughtful hour each day in contemplation of the life of Christ. We should take it point by point, and let the imagination grasp each scene, especially the closing ones. As we thus dwell upon His great sacrifice for us, our confidence in Him will be more constant, our love will be quickened, and we shall be more deeply imbued with His spirit. If we would be saved at last, we must learn the lesson of penitence and humiliation at the foot of the cross. (DA 83)

Quote:
It is not enough to study what Jesus experienced while He was here, we need to experience it, too.

I don't understand why you feel this is a point worth making.

Quote:
T: Regarding your comment from Amen on, I didn't understand your point. Especially this: “Not, as you seem to think, Jesus by Himself apart from us.” Where did you get such a goofy idea? I've not in the 5 or 6 years we've been discussing things suggested such an idea in any way.

M:You stated this so strongly [I said I interpreted the quotes you cited in the context of ST 1/20/90, that the whole purpose of Christ's mission on earth was the revelation of God] it made me think you believe everything needs to be interpreted in the context of what Jesus did to disprove Satan’s accusations and to prove the truth about God’s character. Turns out I was wrong. You think such an idea is goofy. Now I know. However, I still don’t know what you believe. I believe the focus of everything is “Christ in you, the hope of glory”. Do you agree?

I've never written anything that would warrant your comment "Not, as you seem to think, Jesus by Himself apart from us." We've been discussing things for more than 5 years now, I think, and I can't believe you've been so careless in reading what I've said not to know that I believe in victory over sin. There's hardly any point in dialoging if you can't reach that level of understanding from our conversations.

The idea I labeled as "goofy" is your original comment, which I noted by "especially," not this new thing you're saying here. I agree with what you're saying here (the part underlined). The SOP tells us that the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God. I'm simply saying that I interpret everything in the light of what was identified as being the whole purpose of His mission. Is there anything wrong with that?

Quote:
M: Since studying with you I have changed my mind about 1 John 3:9. I now believe John is describing a fully justified and sanctified born again believer.

T: John says, "whosoever is born of God." You think this means not "whosoever is born of God," but "some of those who are born of God"?

M:It's talking about those who are born again without their former sinful practices. This obviously doesn’t apply to those who are born again nowadays with some of their sinful practices in tact.

I don't understand your point. Are you suggesting people nowadays are born again differently than when John was writing? I really don't know what you're trying to say here. Please flesh it out.

Quote:
T: No, it's an example of a sin which cannot be a sin of ignorance, which is what you asked for (see underlined portion).

Okay, I misread what you wrote.

I just responded to your request. You asked for an example, so I gave you one.

Quote:
So, I hear you saying no one can ignorantly fail to acknowledge God or give Him thanks. That is, everyone knows God and not giving Him thanks is inexcusable. Is this the only example you can think of? In other words, can you name any other sin that under no circumstances could qualify as a sin of ignorance?

Why should I MM? What's your point? Suppose I name another one, and then you say "Are these the only two you can think of?" And then I name a third, and you say, "Are these the only three you can think of?"

You asked for an example, and I gave you one. I suppose you had some reason for asking for the example, so I gave you one in good faith without asking why. Now you have your example. Please make whatever point you wanted to make once you had an example.

Quote:
Or, can you argue that all other sins can, under the right situation, qualify as a sin of ignorance?

I'll wait for your comment on the example I gave before giving more.

Quote:
In the past you have posted quotes to prove Ellen believed people are born again with some of their former sinful habits and practices in tact, that is, unrevealed, unconfessed, and uncrucified; but it turns out that’s not what she was saying at all.

You've accused me of this quite a few times, but I've never admitted to it. So I'm ignoring this request, and the rest of the paragraphs following, since you're asking me to substantiate something I've not claimed.

Quote:
Yeah, I know what you mean about this issue being a bad virus that won’t go away. I’ve repeatedly asked it and you normally say you’ve answered it dozens of times, and yet I cannot find them.

Why not save them somewhere where you have ready access to them?

Quote:
I do recall, however, you naming things like self-pity, polygamy, smoking, and social drinking as examples of sinful practices the Holy Spirit often waits to reveal until some time after they experience rebirth and baptism and join a church.

This is poorly stated.

Quote:
You claim reality supports your view, but you have never actually posted inspired quotes to support your assertions.

This is incorrect.

Quote:
I'm asking now. You can put this virus to rest by simply posting inspired quotes which clearly state your position (by “clearly state” I mean quotes which do require any type of interpretation or extrapolation). Thank you.

There's the quote of Ellen White that William Miller will be in heaven. William Miller broke the Sabbath.

By the way, I would appreciate it if you would quote something and ask me questions about that, as opposed to stating something in you own words as if that's what I believed, and asking me questions about that (unless you're asking me if you're correctly understanding what I believe). It is this sort of thing that causes me to respond with the FOTAP comments. When you do this, I can't respond to your question without tacitly agreeing to your implicit assumptions as to what my position is.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #106438
12/24/08 01:19 AM
12/24/08 01:19 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. (DA 175)

Here is a simple, easy to understand explanation of how one is saved. None of the things you're suggesting are included here.

Ellen is here saying the same thing she says elsewhere, namely, people repent of their sins before they experience rebirth. Please notice she specifies what she means by saying "the sins that have crucified the Saviour." I have no reason to believe she is excluding a subclass class of sins that did not crucify Jesus, that do not require repentance, that can wait to be revealed and confessed and crucified until some time after they experience rebirth. You seem to take it for granted that's what she means, and yet nowhere does she say such a thing. If she had written such a thing you would be quoting it over and over again.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #106443
12/24/08 02:46 AM
12/24/08 02:46 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: I've cited some examples. There was a time when Ellen White didn't keep the Sabbath, so there's another one.

M:Pointing to the sins Christians committed during the Dark Ages as proof Ellen didn’t mean what she wrote is hardly fair to her. It borders on blasphemy. I do not trust you to be unbiased. There is too much at stake. I need to hear it from her. Therefore, please post passages where she interprets these words to mean what you say they mean. Thank you.

T: I don't understand this. First of all, Ellen White did not live in the Dark Ages. Neither did Spurgeon or William Miller. Secondly, I'm not offering proof that Ellen didn't mean what she wrote, but that your interpretation of what she wrote is wrong. Thirdly, why would presenting counter examples of your ideas be blasphemy? Fourth, I've presented statements of her explaining what's involved in conversion. For example, DA 175. You are the one going beyond this to suggest things she never said. Under your view, no one who smokes or drinks can be born again. This isn't true even in post Dark Ages time. If it were true in Dark Ages time, that fact alone would be sufficient to disprove your ideas in regards to conversion, because the principles of conversion haven't changed since Adam fell.

The Dark Ages did not end until some time after God raised up the Remnant Church. You are the one disregarding the obvious meaning of the quote I posted. Here it is again: The sins that were practised before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." {SD 300.3}

No unbiased reader can read this and conclude she obviously intended for us to understand that certain “sins that were practiced before conversion” will continue to be practiced after they experience rebirth. There is absolutely no reason to think she didn’t mean “the sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man.”

Quote:
M: You wrote, “You have a theory of instant sanctification, that people, when born again, no longer commit sinful practices . . .” Do you have proof of this accusation? I can assure you I do not believe this way.

T: This whole thread you've been arguing that born again Christians have no sinful practices. At least, this is what I've been understanding you to say. If this isn't what you believe, please cite for me some sinful practice that you believe born again Christs have.

I have been talking about the SD 300 quote. Here it is again: The sins that were practised before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering."

There is nothing instantaneous about sanctification. “Sanctification is not the work of a moment, an hour, a day, but of a lifetime. . . Sanctification is the result of lifelong obedience.” {AA 560.3} “This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another.” {ML 250.4} This “work of progression will not cease, but will continue throughout eternity.” {HP 186.6}

I get the impression you believe the progressive work of sanctification described above includes outgrowing some of the sinful habits that were practiced prior to rebirth. If so, please post inspired passages to substantiate this assertion. Thank you.

Quote:

M:You stated this so strongly [I said I interpreted the quotes you cited in the context of ST 1/20/90, that the whole purpose of Christ's mission on earth was the revelation of God] it made me think you believe everything needs to be interpreted in the context of what Jesus did to disprove Satan’s accusations and to prove the truth about God’s character. Turns out I was wrong. You think such an idea is goofy. Now I know. However, I still don’t know what you believe. I believe the focus of everything is “Christ in you, the hope of glory”. Do you agree?

T: I've never written anything that would warrant your comment "Not, as you seem to think, Jesus by Himself apart from us." We've been discussing things for more than 5 years now, I think, and I can't believe you've been so careless in reading what I've said not to know that I believe in victory over sin. There's hardly any point in dialoging if you can't reach that level of understanding from our conversations.

The idea I labeled as "goofy" is your original comment, which I noted by "especially," not this new thing you're saying here. I agree with what you're saying here (the part underlined). The SOP tells us that the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God. I'm simply saying that I interpret everything in the light of what was identified as being the whole purpose of His mission. Is there anything wrong with that?

So, you agree with the following summary of what you believe: “You believe everything needs to be interpreted in the context of what Jesus did to disprove Satan’s accusations and to prove the truth about God’s character.” This is precisely what I disagree with.

I do not agree with you that “everything” must be interpreted in light of what Jesus did. The plan of salvation is not all about God. The focus is “Christ in you, the hope of glory”. It’s all about God saving mankind. In the process of saving sinners, the Universe learns the truth about everything else.

Quote:

M:It's talking about those who are born again without their former sinful practices. This obviously doesn’t apply to those who are born again nowadays with some of their sinful practices in tact.

T: I don't understand your point. Are you suggesting people nowadays are born again differently than when John was writing? I really don't know what you're trying to say here. Please flesh it out.

The people in John’s day were instructed to how obey everything Jesus commanded. That’s what he’s talking about in 1 John 3:9. During the Dark Ages many truths were lost sight of, and people began to experience rebirth before learning how to obey everything Jesus commanded. Then God raised up the Remnant Church to “restore the breach”.

Once again people can now, by studying with a qualified SDA, learn how to obey everything Jesus commanded before making a decision for baptism. In such cases 1 John 3:9 describes them. Of course people nowadays can still experience rebirth before they learn how to obey everything Jesus commanded.

Quote:
M: So, I hear you saying no one can ignorantly fail to acknowledge God or give Him thanks. That is, everyone knows God and not giving Him thanks is inexcusable. Is this the only example you can think of? In other words, can you name any other sin that under no circumstances could qualify as a sin of ignorance?

T: Why should I MM? What's your point? Suppose I name another one, and then you say "Are these the only two you can think of?" And then I name a third, and you say, "Are these the only three you can think of?" You asked for an example, and I gave you one. I suppose you had some reason for asking for the example, so I gave you one in good faith without asking why. Now you have your example. Please make whatever point you wanted to make once you had an example.

The fact is I do not agree with the example you gave. That is, I do not agree with you that everyone knows God and not giving Him thanks is inexcusable. There are no doubt millions of people who have lived and died without ever knowing God. Paul did say everyone everywhere knows God. I have demonstrated to you elsewhere what Paul was addressing in Romans 1 and 2. But rather than redress the issue, I opted to ask you for another example of a sin that can never qualify as a sin of ignorance. I suspect you can argue that any sin can be committed in ignorance by someone somewhere sometime.

Quote:
M: In the past you have posted quotes to prove Ellen believed people are born again with some of their former sinful habits and practices in tact, that is, unrevealed, unconfessed, and uncrucified; but it turns out that’s not what she was saying at all.

T: You've accused me of this quite a few times, but I've never admitted to it. So I'm ignoring this request, and the rest of the paragraphs following, since you're asking me to substantiate something I've not claimed.

That’s it? You’re not going to set the record straight? You’re going to just leave me hanging here not knowing what you believe? Are you saying people are *not* born again with some of their former habits of sin in tact? Or, are you saying Ellen never said it? Why must you keep me in the dark about what you believe?

Quote:
M: I'm asking now. You can put this virus to rest by simply posting inspired quotes which clearly state your position (by “clearly state” I mean quotes which do require any type of interpretation or extrapolation). Thank you.

T: There's the quote of Ellen White that William Miller will be in heaven. William Miller broke the Sabbath.

Again, Tom, we’re talking about two quotes, namely, SD 300 (quoted above) and 1 John 3:9. Do you apply these two passages to William Miller's situation of not embracing the Sabbath? If so, please explain your position so that a child can grasp your meaning. Thank you.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #106449
12/24/08 08:24 AM
12/24/08 08:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. (DA 175)

T:Here is a simple, easy to understand explanation of how one is saved. None of the things you're suggesting are included here.

M:Ellen is here saying the same thing she says elsewhere, namely, people repent of their sins before they experience rebirth.

Of course people must repent. Repentance means a change of mind. Before seeing the cross, man is at enmity with God. One cannot become a member of God's family while being at enmity with Him. It's necessary to be reconciled, and repentance is necessary for reconciliation to take place.

Quote:
Please notice she specifies what she means by saying "the sins that have crucified the Saviour." I have no reason to believe she is excluding a subclass class of sins that did not crucify Jesus, that do not require repentance, that can wait to be revealed and confessed and crucified until some time after they experience rebirth.

Yes you do. You've already admitted that not every sin that one commits is included in this repentance, so you do see a reason to believe she is excluding a subclass of sins.

Quote:
You seem to take it for granted that's what she means, and yet nowhere does she say such a thing.

You do too.

Quote:
If she had written such a thing you would be quoting it over and over again.

I've quoted this over and over again, because it's clear, and describes conversion simply and accurately. There's no need to quote something else.

I've also quoted the conversion of the publican a number of times. That's also an excellent explanation.

Quote:
The publican had gone to the temple with other worshipers, but he soon drew apart from them as unworthy to unite in their devotions. Standing afar off, he "would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast," in bitter anguish and self-abhorrence. He felt that he had transgressed against God, that he was sinful and polluted. He could not expect even pity from those around him, for they looked upon him with contempt. He knew that he had no merit to commend him to God, and in utter self-despair he cried, "God be merciful to me, a sinner." He did not compare himself with others. Overwhelmed with a sense of guilt, he stood as if alone in God's presence. His only desire was for pardon and peace, his only plea was the mercy of God. And he was blessed. "I tell you," Christ said, "this man went down to his house justified rather than the other." (COL 151)

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #106450
12/24/08 08:56 AM
12/24/08 08:56 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The Dark Ages did not end until some time after God raised up the Remnant Church.

Quote:
The Italian Scholar, Francesco Petrarca called Petrarch, was the first to coin the phrase. He used it to denounce Latin literature of that time; others expanded on this idea to express frustration with the lack of Latin literature during this time or other cultural achievements. While the term dark ages is no longer widely used, it may best be described as Early Middle Ages -- the period following the decline of Rome in the Western World. The Middle Ages is loosely considered to extend from 400 to 1000 AD. (http://www.allabouthistory.org/the-dark-ages.htm)

As you can see, even considering Luther as a part of the Dark Ages is a stretch.

Quote:
You are the one disregarding the obvious meaning of the quote I posted. Here it is again: The sins that were practised before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." {SD 300.3}

No unbiased reader can read this and conclude she obviously intended for us to understand that certain “sins that were practiced before conversion” will continue to be practiced after they experience rebirth. There is absolutely no reason to think she didn’t mean “the sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man.”

MM, I'm not disagreeing with the obvious meaning of the quote, but with your interpretation. You say "no unbiased reader," but as far as I'm aware, no one shares your interpretation of this quote, which would mean there are no unbiased readers but you. I'm not discounting the possibility that you many not have uncovered some truth that others haven't seen, but surely the reason wouldn't be that it's because your the only unbiased reader, wouldn't you agree?

In order to disprove your interpretation of the quote, I've posited Luther, William Miller, and Spurgeon as counter-examples.

Quote:
T: This whole thread you've been arguing that born again Christians have no sinful practices. At least, this is what I've been understanding you to say. If this isn't what you believe, please cite for me some sinful practice that you believe born again Christs have.

I have been talking about the SD 300 quote. Here it is again: The sins that were practised before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering."

There is nothing instantaneous about sanctification. “Sanctification is not the work of a moment, an hour, a day, but of a lifetime. . . Sanctification is the result of lifelong obedience.” {AA 560.3} “This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another.” {ML 250.4} This “work of progression will not cease, but will continue throughout eternity.” {HP 186.6}

I get the impression you believe the progressive work of sanctification described above includes outgrowing some of the sinful habits that were practiced prior to rebirth. If so, please post inspired passages to substantiate this assertion. Thank you.

You seem to believe that when one is born again, if properly indoctrinated, one does not commit any sins. Most people (I think, actually, everyone) would call this "sanctification." If it happens the instant one is born again, then this is "instant sanctification." That you can site a statement from the SOP explaining that sanctification is not instantaneous should be cause to discard the theory you're suggesting.

Quote:
So, you agree with the following summary of what you believe: “You believe everything needs to be interpreted in the context of what Jesus did to disprove Satan’s accusations and to prove the truth about God’s character.” This is precisely what I disagree with.

I do not agree with you that “everything” must be interpreted in light of what Jesus did. The plan of salvation is not all about God. The focus is “Christ in you, the hope of glory”. It’s all about God saving mankind. In the process of saving sinners, the Universe learns the truth about everything else.

Ok, we disagree about this. I think the Plan of Salvation *is* all about God. I think "Christ in you, the hope of glory" comes under this heading as well.

Quote:
T: I don't understand your point. Are you suggesting people nowadays are born again differently than when John was writing? I really don't know what you're trying to say here. Please flesh it out.

The people in John’s day were instructed to how obey everything Jesus commanded. That’s what he’s talking about in 1 John 3:9. During the Dark Ages many truths were lost sight of, and people began to experience rebirth before learning how to obey everything Jesus commanded. Then God raised up the Remnant Church to “restore the breach”.

Once again people can now, by studying with a qualified SDA, learn how to obey everything Jesus commanded before making a decision for baptism. In such cases 1 John 3:9 describes them. Of course people nowadays can still experience rebirth before they learn how to obey everything Jesus commanded.

Ok, so you are saying that conversion is different depending upon the time period involved. You don't believe that 1 John 3:9 applies to people of the "Dark Ages" like Luther, William Miller, Ellen White, or Charles Spurgeon.

Quote:
The fact is I do not agree with the example you gave.

Ok, then we can discuss the example, but that's not a reason to ask me for another one without commenting on the one I gave.

Quote:
That is, I do not agree with you that everyone knows God and not giving Him thanks is inexcusable.

What Romans 1 says is that people are without excuse for not giving thanks to God because the truth regarding God is known to them, because God has made it known to them. Therefore it is not possible for this sin to be a sin of ignorance.

Quote:
I suspect you can argue that any sin can be committed in ignorance by someone somewhere sometime.

I don't see why you would suspect this when I've given proof this isn't true.

Quote:
That’s it? You’re not going to set the record straight? You’re going to just leave me hanging here not knowing what you believe? Are you saying people are *not* born again with some of their former habits of sin in tact? Or, are you saying Ellen never said it? Why must you keep me in the dark about what you believe?

MM, you wrote:

Quote:
In the past you have posted quotes to prove Ellen believed people are born again with some of their former sinful habits and practices in tact, that is, unrevealed, unconfessed, and uncrucified; but it turns out that’s not what she was saying at all.

I deny that I've posted this. It's up to you to substantiate your allegation.

I've repeatedly asked you to post things I've actually written. If you will do so, and wish for some clarification, I'm happy to oblige.

Quote:
M: I'm asking now. You can put this virus to rest by simply posting inspired quotes which clearly state your position (by “clearly state” I mean quotes which do require any type of interpretation or extrapolation). Thank you.

T: There's the quote of Ellen White that William Miller will be in heaven. William Miller broke the Sabbath.

Again, Tom, we’re talking about two quotes, namely, SD 300 (quoted above) and 1 John 3:9. Do you apply these two passages to William Miller's situation of not embracing the Sabbath? If so, please explain your position so that a child can grasp your meaning. Thank you.

I don't believe that a person must confess every sinful practice before being born again. I believe that people can sin in ignorance. I believe that when people are born again, they begin a walk with God, wherein God reveals truth to the believer, and former sins of ignorance are put away, by the grace of God.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #106886
12/31/08 07:34 PM
12/31/08 07:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
EGW: If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. (DA 175)

T:Here is a simple, easy to understand explanation of how one is saved. None of the things you're suggesting are included here.

M:Ellen is here saying the same thing she says elsewhere, namely, people repent of their sins before they experience rebirth.

T: Of course people must repent. Repentance means a change of mind. Before seeing the cross, man is at enmity with God. One cannot become a member of God's family while being at enmity with Him. It's necessary to be reconciled, and repentance is necessary for reconciliation to take place.

You undermine her meaning by excluding a host of sins that were practiced prior to rebirth and insisting they are carried over into the new life. You are implying "the sins that have crucified the Saviour" do not include certain sinful habits and practices. She has never said anything that alludes to this interpretation. If she had, you would be quoting it repeatedly.

Quote:
M: Please notice she specifies what she means by saying "the sins that have crucified the Saviour." I have no reason to believe she is excluding a subclass class of sins that did not crucify Jesus, that do not require repentance, that can wait to be revealed and confessed and crucified until some time after they experience rebirth.

T: Yes you do. You've already admitted that not every sin that one commits is included in this repentance, so you do see a reason to believe she is excluding a subclass of sins.

No I didn’t. Like 1 John 3:9 I believe Ellen is referring to believers who were thoroughly indoctrinated in obeying everything Jesus commanded. “Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you.” Do you also think Jesus intended for us to interpret His words here to mean certain sinful habits and practices will be continued afterward in the new life?

Quote:
M: If she had written such a thing you would be quoting it over and over again.

T: I've quoted this over and over again, because it's clear, and describes conversion simply and accurately. There's no need to quote something else.

Really? Coming from someone who aggressively argues elsewhere we must take everything she wrote on a particular topic into consideration before arriving at hardcore conclusions, I’m surprised you feel this way here.

Page 31 of 32 1 2 29 30 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!