HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Doctrine of the Nicolaitans [Re: razorren] #188293
01/19/19 11:25 PM
01/19/19 11:25 PM
Rick H  Offline

Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Here is from the Revelation Prophecy seminars ..."The Nicolaitans, mentioned in these verses, claimed to be Christians but believed obedience to God's law was unnecessary. Jesus used strong language about the Nicolaitans, saying He hated their "works" or lifestyle. Irenaeus, a second-century minister, said they called themselves Christians, but they considered it "a matter of indifference to practice adultery, and to eat things sacrificed to idols." "

Re: The Doctrine of the Nicolaitans [Re: razorren] #188297
01/20/19 02:49 AM
01/20/19 02:49 AM
L
Laodicean  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2019

Posting New Member
California , USA
This aforementioned group of people cited in Revelation felt that once they accepted Christ, they were spiritually entitled to eternal life. They were misled to believe, that what they did with their bodies had no baring on their salvation. Nicolas the proselyte from Antioch, one of the first deacons ordained (Acts 6:1-6), eventually broke off into a sect and taught this awful error of antinomianism.

Laodicea
Re: The Doctrine of the Nicolaitans [Re: Laodicean] #188308
01/21/19 05:12 PM
01/21/19 05:12 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Laodicean
This aforementioned group of people cited in Revelation felt that once they accepted Christ, they were spiritually entitled to eternal life. They were misled to believe, that what they did with their bodies had no baring on their salvation. Nicolas the proselyte from Antioch, one of the first deacons ordained (Acts 6:1-6), eventually broke off into a sect and taught this awful error of antinomianism.

Perhaps SDA have, by and large, drifted away from reading the Bible to believing all kinds of weird stuff: stuff such as that.

Jesus Christ Himself says explicitly what was the doctrine of the Nicolaitans. He said, "But I have a few things against you, because you have there those who hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality. THUS you also have those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate." Rev. 2:14-15

The Nicolaitans were like Balaam, a type of Judas. They counted themselves to be Christians but, like Balaam, were wordly and held congress with kings insinuating that the church and the world, the pursuit of wealth, were not at variance. Their material progress made it VERY difficult for other Christians who would rather not but were strongly tempted to pursue the same path.

The doctrine was implied by Christ when he asked, "For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?" Mark 8:36-37 Incidentally, this was the very problem plaguing the Laodiceans; and what did Christ say? "I will vomit you out of my mouth!" Rev. 3:16b

///

Re: The Doctrine of the Nicolaitans [Re: James Peterson] #188311
01/22/19 01:28 AM
01/22/19 01:28 AM
L
Laodicean  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2019

Posting New Member
California , USA
Interestingly enough, I was in numbers today and reviewed the sad story of Balaam. Jesus referred to Balam actually because he sent midianite women to intice the Israelites at camp to fornicate and adulterate. My context reflects Jesus’ context. Jesus made no implication regarding a reprimand for the desire to gain material wealth. Jesus reprimanded them concerning being holy and good stewards of their bodies. The body is the temple of The Holy Spirit. 1Corinthiams 6:19. God is direct and not wishy washy and wavering like man. You also need to go back and read other contributors’ references. It will give you a clearer understanding of where you have deviated from truth

And a warning James, you must keep scripture in its right context and never let pride have you deviate. Give God glory. Give no room for pride. God is taking account and judgement has begun and will not continue forever, but come to an end. We don’t have time now or ever to play with God and His servants.

“Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.” Proverbs 16:18

Last edited by Laodicean; 01/22/19 01:36 AM.

Laodicea
Re: The Doctrine of the Nicolaitans [Re: Laodicean] #188314
01/22/19 06:21 AM
01/22/19 06:21 AM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Interestingly enough, I was in numbers today and reviewed the sad story of Balaam. Jesus referred to Balam actually because he sent midianite women to intice the Israelites at camp to fornicate and adulterate. My context reflects Jesus’ context. Jesus made no implication regarding a reprimand for the desire to gain material wealth. Jesus reprimanded them concerning being holy and good stewards of their bodies....

• Then you did NOT really read it. Here it is again, "you have there those who hold the doctrine of Balaam, WHO TAUGHT BALAK to put a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality. THUS you also have those who hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate." Rev. 2:14-15

• The doctrine of Balaam (i.e. also of the Nicolaitans) was material gain (from the King Balak), in portraying himself as a friend of both the world and the church, by exposing and exploiting the human frailty of the latter. It was a Judas approach to life. People were selling out and others were falling prey to the strong temptation to follow suit.

• In fact, Jesus was not speaking about eating and having sex at all, but about this despicable betrayal (this doctrine of materialism), leaving his people extremely vulnerable.

Smyrna was the city that housed the throne of Satan, the home of the church that lost Antipas, who in Jesus' own words, was "MY faithful martyr who was killed among you where Satan dwells." Wasn't Jesus also betrayed for money? Was He not also murdered because of that betrayal for money? Weren't the disciples tempted to follow Judas before Judas was proven to be false?

///

Re: The Doctrine of the Nicolaitans [Re: razorren] #188315
01/22/19 09:35 AM
01/22/19 09:35 AM
L
Laodicean  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2019

Posting New Member
California , USA
I did not read Numbers yesterday. But, I studied it and meditated on words that proceeded from the mourn of God. In my original response, I studied other related scripture and studied church history. Statements made that Jesus didn’t speak of eating things sacrificed to idols and having immoral sex in Rev 2:14-15 is a direct contradiction to God’s holy writ.

The response to my post erroneously attributes something to Smyrna that truthfully pertains to Pergamos instead: “
And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges; I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein † Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth. But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught † Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate. Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth. “ Rev 2:12-17

So, my advice in this case: “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” 2 Timothy 2:15 The Bible is clear and is analogous with otherwise legitimate, historical accounts. It interprets itself and doesn’t need help of others who would misrepresent it and lift up self at the same time.

Laodicea
Re: The Doctrine of the Nicolaitans [Re: Laodicean] #188316
01/22/19 02:42 PM
01/22/19 02:42 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
I did not read Numbers yesterday. But, I studied it and meditated on words that proceeded from the mourn of God. In my original response, I studied other related scripture and studied church history. Statements made that Jesus didn’t speak of eating things sacrificed to idols and having immoral sex in Rev 2:14-15 is a direct contradiction to God’s holy writ.

1. *** Smyrna => Pergamos

2. Of course Jesus said, "eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality;" but He also said, "will fight against them with the sword of My mouth." REALLY?!

3. The DOCTRINE OF BALAAM (i.e. also of the Nicolaitans) was this: "WHO TAUGHT BALAK (a king) to put a stumbling block before (tempt) Israel..." The Nicolaitans were the part of the church who were holding congress with royalty exposing the human weaknesses of the members. But why would they do that, except for material gain? In Pergamos, Antipas became a martyr; just like Jesus was at the hands of Judas.

4. We here in our time and place cannot fully comprehend the situation facing the Pergamos church. The experience was more akin to that of SDA during WW I. The denomination split over loyalty to the Fatherland. Read about the recent apology for yourself 1.

-----------------------
1 Inter alia: "A hundred years after World War I created a split among German Seventh-day Adventists that remains to this day, the church’s two unions in Germany have apologized for the combative stance taken by CHURCH LEADERS during the war and for their treatment of dissidents who left to create the Seventh-day Adventist Reform Movement." -- Adventist Review, MAY 30, 2014.

///

Re: The Doctrine of the Nicolaitans [Re: James Peterson] #188343
01/26/19 03:49 AM
01/26/19 03:49 AM
L
Laodicean  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2019

Posting New Member
California , USA
There is no need to try to save face by trivializing the plain truth of what Jesus said to the 7 churches. His whole purpose was to be clear in stating who he is, who they were, remind them of His promises, commend their good deeds and warn them to change the bad. Period. They understood and we understand when we rightly divide he word of truth. God is not mocked. God spoke literally when he said, “ Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.“. God speaks and it is so. He does not use carnal weapons like man.” Everyone in Christianson knows this, including those that were in the 7 churches. His word is like a two edged sword. It will accomplish what it is purposes to accomplish and will not return void. They studied this in the book of Isaiah, to which Jesus often referred in his teachings. “So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11

DOCTRINE OF BALAAM: “And Israel abode in Shittim, and the people began to commit WHOREDOM with the daughters of Moab. And they called the people unto the SACRIFICES of their GODS: and the people did EAT, and BOWED down to their gods. And Israel joined himself unto Baalpeor: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against “ Israel. Numbers 25:1-3

Last edited by Laodicean; 01/26/19 04:08 AM.

Laodicea
Re: The Doctrine of the Nicolaitans [Re: Laodicean] #190164
07/18/19 10:15 PM
07/18/19 10:15 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted by Laodicean
There is no need to try to save face by trivializing the plain truth of what Jesus said to the 7 churches. His whole purpose was to be clear in stating who he is, who they were, remind them of His promises, commend their good deeds and warn them to change the bad. Period. They understood and we understand when we rightly divide he word of truth. God is not mocked. God spoke literally when he said, “ Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.“. God speaks and it is so. He does not use carnal weapons like man.” Everyone in Christianson knows this, including those that were in the 7 churches. His word is like a two edged sword. It will accomplish what it is purposes to accomplish and will not return void. They studied this in the book of Isaiah, to which Jesus often referred in his teachings. “So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11

DOCTRINE OF BALAAM: “And Israel abode in Shittim, and the people began to commit WHOREDOM with the daughters of Moab. And they called the people unto the SACRIFICES of their GODS: and the people did EAT, and BOWED down to their gods. And Israel joined himself unto Baalpeor: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against “ Israel. Numbers 25:1-3

Now, YOU are the one turning your head away from the word. It says in plain English, after translation, The DOCTRINE OF BALAAM (i.e. also of the Nicolaitans) was this: "WHO TAUGHT BALAK (a king) to put a stumbling block before (tempt) Israel (the people of God) ..." Revelation 2:14-15

The doctrine is not eating and fornication, but colluding with dignitaries to entice the righteous with offers of worldly things. A good example is suggesting to the CEO to introduce weekend work with double rates of remuneration and then watching to see what Christians would do.

///

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!