HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,978 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 36 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #107537
01/14/09 07:41 AM
01/14/09 07:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I've read the passages you cited and I did not see where God explains why Jesus had to become a man and die on the cross. Please be more specific. Thank you.

You've read Isaiah 53, and you don't understand why Jesus had to become a man and die on the cross. I'm sorry, but I don't think I can improve on Isaiah.

Quote:
Did Moses explain why Jesus had to become a man and die on the cross? Also, where does Moses say the animal sacrifices symbolize the death of the Son of God?

I don't see where you addressed this question.

I think I've asked you several times why you are asking this.

Quote:
The real intent of my question is - I don't see where Waggoner explained vital truths that cannot be found clearly explained in the SOP. Do you?

I don't think this is the point.

Quote:
The Lord has raised up Brother Jones and Brother Waggoner to proclaim a message to the world to prepare a people to stand in the day of God. The world is suffering the need of additional light to come to them upon the Scriptures,--additional proclamation of the principles of purity, lowliness, faith, and the righteousness of Christ. (1888 Mat. 1814, 1815)

Ellen White never claimed this of herself. She said that Waggoner could teach righteousness by faith more clearly than she, and that the Lord had given him special light on this question. Over and over she exhorted that the light that God sent through Waggoner and Jones be heeded.

You say, "I don't see where Waggoner explained vital truths that cannot be found clearly explained in the SOP. Do you?"

I certainly see vital truths they explained that you don't see present in her writings.

Regarding Satan, I don't see what you said in the quote you provided. The quote I provided was clear that Satan suffers for his responsibility towards both the wicked and the saved. This is not something arbitrarily imposed upon Satan by God, but simply the result of Satan suffering the guilt of his actions.

Quote:
M: 2. I do not agree sinners must resist Jesus’ love to be lost. I believe sinners are already lost and must do something to be saved, namely, embrace Jesus.

T: The SOP clearly states this in a number of places. The thing they must do they will do if they don't resist.

M:Do you think sinners are lost by default? Or, do you think they are saved by default? If sinners do nothing at all are they lost or saved?

I haven't said anything about this. I said that sinners would be saved if they didn't not resist Jesus' love. You said you did not believe this. I produced a couple of statements which say what I said, that if the sinner does not resist He will be saved.

Quote:
M: 4. I do not think lost sheep are lost because they made a conscious decision to be lost based on their misunderstanding of God’s character. They are lost because they know not God. Most do not understand why they are lost.

T: I think you're misunderstanding something here, that is, I believe you're understanding something to have been said which was not said. Could you please quote what you had in mind here?

M:I was responding to number 4 of the Ten Truths.

Point 4 doesn't say "lost sheep are lost because they made a conscious decision to be lost based on their misunderstanding of God’s character."

Do you disagree with something point 4 actually says? If so, what?

Quote:
Do you think God writes His law in the hearts of sinners without their consent and cooperation? Or, do you think their consent and cooperation are required?

Why are you asking this? I'm not a Calvinist. God does not unilaterally convert people.

Quote:
M: 9. I prefer “faith that works by love and purifies the soul” as a definition of genuine faith. This kind of faith makes both justification and sanctification realities in the life.

T: This isn't a definition of faith. It's a declaration of what genuine faith does.

M:Actions speak louder than words. "Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works."

This has nothing to do with the point. Robert Wieland has suggested as a definition for faith that faith is a heart appreciation of the love of God, especially as revealed at the cross. I think this is a fine definition for faith.

When we appreciate the love of God, that love transforms us, motivates us. This is the love of which the phrase "faith which works by love" is in reference to.

The SOP speaks a number of times of the love of God shining from the cross which leads us to repentance if we do not resist. There is something special in the love of God, which is why Paul prayed:

Quote:
16That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

17That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

18May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

19And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. (Eph. 3)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #107571
01/15/09 04:24 PM
01/15/09 04:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Let’s back up and start over. I believe Gen 3:1-3 and Ex 20:8-11 give as reason for keeping the Sabbath the fact God rested on that day. This reason is sufficient to trust and obey God intelligently rather than slavishly. No other reasons are needed. Do you agree?

T: This is a different question than you asked before. I view this as a hypothetical question, as I don't think anyone has been limited to the reasons given here. In particular, why ignore the other reasons given in the Pentateuch, all of which was written by Moses? In answer to your hypothetical question, I don't think just those 7 verses are enough to intelligently obey the Sabbath.

M: Yes, it is a different question. That’s why I said, “Let’s back up and start over.” And you finally gave me an answer, which was, No, you do not believe keeping the Sabbath because God rested on that day is a sufficient reason to trust and obey God intelligently rather than slavishly. End of story. No more questions. Thank you.

T: What's up with this? You recognize this is a different question, a question which I immediately answered, the first time you asked it, and you respond, "And you finally game me an answer." What did you want me to do? Answer the question before you asked it?

Here's how you answered my question the first time:

Quote:
M: Here is how the creation account and commandment read. I've underlined the words that explain why God commanded people to rest on the seventh day.

Genesis
2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Exodus
20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
20:10 But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of the LORD thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates:
20:11 For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

The question is - Do these verses require "slavish" obedience since they do not contain better reasons why God commands people to rest on the seventh day?

T: As I pointed out, there are several reasons given for keeping the Sabbath. The foundation of observing the Sabbath is that God rested on this day, the crowning act of creation. The Sabbath is a memorial of creation, and its observance recognizes God as the Creator.

It's also a memorial of redemption, a them which is explained in detail in Hebrews. By faith we enter into the rest of God, which is what the Sabbath is all about. The Sabbath is also the seal of God and a sign of sanctification. This is just scratching the service!

From the beginning you have insisted that people before the Exodus had more reasons for keeping the Sabbath than what is contained in the seven verses above. Not until now, 13 pages later, did you finally admit that, yes, those verses do not contain enough reasons to obey God intelligently. That's all I was asking in the beginning. But we ended up discussing the oral tradition point you brought up. I realize you believe with all your heart people before the Exodus had many reasons for keeping the Sabbath and that they were able to do so intelligently and not slavishly. So, again, thank you for answering my question.

Quote:
M: What are the terms and conditions of the NC? What are the terms and conditions of the OC? Also, in light of what you wrote above, please explain the following points Ellen raised in PP:

T: The terms of the OC were the proud and unbelieving promise of the people to do all that the Lord had commanded. Ellen White characterizes this as the people seeking to establish their own righteousness. The NC was established upon "better promises," the promises of forgiveness and the writing of the law in heart. She characterized this as accepting the righteousness of Christ. The condition is faith.

While under the terms and conditions of the OC, did you think God required them to obey and observe everything He commanded (i.e. the moral law, the ceremonial laws, the laws of Moses)?

While under the terms and conditions of the NC, did you think God required them to obey and observe everything He commanded (i.e. the moral law, the ceremonial laws, the laws of Moses)?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #107573
01/15/09 04:57 PM
01/15/09 04:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I've read the passages you cited and I did not see where God explains why Jesus had to become a man and die on the cross. Please be more specific. Thank you.

T: You've read Isaiah 53, and you don't understand why Jesus had to become a man and die on the cross. I'm sorry, but I don't think I can improve on Isaiah.

Please post the verses you think explain why Jesus had to die on the cross. Thank you. I do not see where you did this.

Quote:
M: Did Moses explain why Jesus had to become a man and die on the cross? Also, where does Moses say the animal sacrifices symbolize the death of the Son of God?

T: I think I've asked you several times why you are asking this.

Because it is important to me. If you don't know the answer that's fine. I just thought maybe you did.

Quote:
M: The real intent of my question is - I don't see where Waggoner explained vital truths that cannot be found clearly explained in the SOP. Do you?

I don't think this is the point.

Quote:
The Lord has raised up Brother Jones and Brother Waggoner to proclaim a message to the world to prepare a people to stand in the day of God. The world is suffering the need of additional light to come to them upon the Scriptures,--additional proclamation of the principles of purity, lowliness, faith, and the righteousness of Christ. (1888 Mat. 1814, 1815)

Ellen White never claimed this of herself. She said that Waggoner could teach righteousness by faith more clearly than she, and that the Lord had given him special light on this question. Over and over she exhorted that the light that God sent through Waggoner and Jones be heeded.

You say, "I don't see where Waggoner explained vital truths that cannot be found clearly explained in the SOP. Do you?" I certainly see vital truths they explained that you don't see present in her writings.

I'm not sure how this answers my question. If you don't know the answer that's fine. If Waggoner didn't say anything vital that cannot be found in the SOP then I see no reason to read Waggoner. Do you?

Also, if Waggoner explained something "more clearly" than Ellen did, please show me. Post something he said that is "more clearly" explained. Place his and her explanations side-by-side so we can compare them. Thank you.

Quote:
T: Regarding Satan, I don't see what you said in the quote you provided. The quote I provided was clear that Satan suffers for his responsibility towards both the wicked and the saved. This is not something arbitrarily imposed upon Satan by God, but simply the result of Satan suffering the guilt of his actions.

Okay. Thank you for clarifying what you believe.

Quote:
M: 2. I do not agree sinners must resist Jesus’ love to be lost. I believe sinners are already lost and must do something to be saved, namely, embrace Jesus.

T: The SOP clearly states this in a number of places. The thing they must do they will do if they don't resist.

M: Do you think sinners are lost by default? Or, do you think they are saved by default? If sinners do nothing at all are they lost or saved?

T: I haven't said anything about this. I said that sinners would be saved if they didn't not resist Jesus' love. You said you did not believe this. I produced a couple of statements which say what I said, that if the sinner does not resist He will be saved.

Now that you've clarified what you meant, I have a different question I'd like you to answer. Here it is - Do you think sinners are lost by default? Or, do you think they are saved by default? If sinners do nothing at all are they lost or saved?

Quote:
M: 4. I do not think lost sheep are lost because they made a conscious decision to be lost based on their misunderstanding of God’s character. They are lost because they know not God. Most do not understand why they are lost.

T: I think you're misunderstanding something here, that is, I believe you're understanding something to have been said which was not said. Could you please quote what you had in mind here?

M:I was responding to number 4 of the Ten Truths.

T: Point 4 doesn't say "lost sheep are lost because they made a conscious decision to be lost based on their misunderstanding of God’s character."

Do you disagree with something point 4 actually says? If so, what?

I believe most people cannot identify misunderstanding the character of God as the reason why they are lost. Does this contradict anything in point 4 as you see it?

Quote:
M: Do you think God writes His law in the hearts of sinners without their consent and cooperation? Or, do you think their consent and cooperation are required?

T: Why are you asking this? I'm not a Calvinist. God does not unilaterally convert people.

Is your answer to my second question - yes?

Quote:
M: 9. I prefer “faith that works by love and purifies the soul” as a definition of genuine faith. This kind of faith makes both justification and sanctification realities in the life.

T: This isn't a definition of faith. It's a declaration of what genuine faith does.

M:Actions speak louder than words. "Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works."

T: This has nothing to do with the point. Robert Wieland has suggested as a definition for faith that faith is a heart appreciation of the love of God, especially as revealed at the cross. I think this is a fine definition for faith.

When we appreciate the love of God, that love transforms us, motivates us. This is the love of which the phrase "faith which works by love" is in reference to.

The SOP speaks a number of times of the love of God shining from the cross which leads us to repentance if we do not resist. There is something special in the love of God, which is why Paul prayed:

Quote:
16That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

17That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

18May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

19And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. (Eph. 3)

Thank you for clarifying what you believe. But I prefer “faith that works by love and purifies the soul” as a definition of genuine faith. This kind of faith makes both justification and sanctification realities in the life.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #107577
01/16/09 01:54 AM
01/16/09 01:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Please post the verses you think explain why Jesus had to die on the cross. Thank you. I do not see where you did this.

Quote:
1Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

2For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

11He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors. (Isa. 53)

Quote:
M: Did Moses explain why Jesus had to become a man and die on the cross? Also, where does Moses say the animal sacrifices symbolize the death of the Son of God?

T: I think I've asked you several times why you are asking this.

M:Because it is important to me. If you don't know the answer that's fine. I just thought maybe you did.

I'm not really understanding your question. There are a number of Gospel promises, including Gen. 3:15 and so forth. Jesus said that Moses saw His day and wrote of Him.

Quote:
T:You say, "I don't see where Waggoner explained vital truths that cannot be found clearly explained in the SOP. Do you?" I certainly see vital truths they explained that you don't see present in her writings.

M:I'm not sure how this answers my question. If you don't know the answer that's fine. If Waggoner didn't say anything vital that cannot be found in the SOP then I see no reason to read Waggoner. Do you?

(From my point of view, of course) you have misunderstandings of a number of different things that you read from the SOP. You understand these things correctly, or at least more correctly, when you read Waggoner, but you disagree with what Waggoner says, and because of your misunderstanding of the SOP you think he disagrees with her. So I think it would be of value if you took to heart her endorsements of them, that they brought a message from God, light which would enlighten the world, etc. and read and learned from what they wrote and corrected your misunderstanding of the SOP. I don't think you could get this simply by reading the SOP, because you would be likely to keep reading the SOP as you always have.

Quote:
Also, if Waggoner explained something "more clearly" than Ellen did, please show me. Post something he said that is "more clearly" explained. Place his and her explanations side-by-side so we can compare them. Thank you.

I think this would be a better exercise for you to do on your own. Ellen White said that Waggoner could explain righteousness by faith better than she, but she didn't point to specific passages she wrote which were less clear than things that she wrote, and I don't feel impressed to go beyond where she went.

One area I think Waggoner wrote particularly clearly is in regards to the covenants, which EGW described as "truth" and "as clear as sunlight." I'd be happy to quote some passages of Waggoner on this subject if you'd like.

Quote:
T: I haven't said anything about this. I said that sinners would be saved if they didn't not resist Jesus' love. You said you did not believe this. I produced a couple of statements which say what I said, that if the sinner does not resist He will be saved.

M:Now that you've clarified what you meant, I have a different question I'd like you to answer. Here it is - Do you think sinners are lost by default? Or, do you think they are saved by default? If sinners do nothing at all are they lost or saved?

Before going on to a new question, how about some closure on the previous one. Do you agree that this statement

Quote:
The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. (DA 176)

says that if one does not resist one will be saved?

Quote:
I believe most people cannot identify misunderstanding the character of God as the reason why they are lost. Does this contradict anything in point 4 as you see it?

It neither contradicts nor affirms what point 4 says. Point 4 doesn't address this. Point 4 said nothing about people being able to identify a cause for their being lost.

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying what you believe. But I prefer “faith that works by love and purifies the soul” as a definition of genuine faith.

This isn't a definition. A definition describes what something is. "Faith that works by love and purifies the soul" is a qualification of a certain type of faith.

Here's an example. A definition of "car" would be "a motor vehicle, smaller than a truck, with 4 wheels." The phrase "a car which zooms down the highway" is not a definition for "car."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #107578
01/16/09 03:08 AM
01/16/09 03:08 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
From the beginning you have insisted that people before the Exodus had more reasons for keeping the Sabbath than what is contained in the seven verses above. Not until now, 13 pages later, did you finally admit that, yes, those verses do not contain enough reasons to obey God intelligently.

You never asked this question! You admit this here:

Quote:
T: This is a different question than you asked before...

M:Yes, it is a different question.

So how can you say I didn't answer a question for 13 pages which you hadn't even asked?

Quote:
While under the terms and conditions of the OC, did you think God required them to obey and observe everything He commanded (i.e. the moral law, the ceremonial laws, the laws of Moses)?

While under the terms and conditions of the NC, did you think God required them to obey and observe everything He commanded (i.e. the moral law, the ceremonial laws, the laws of Moses)?

No and yes. Saying that God required this may give a wrong impression. The NC is simply the writing of the law in the heart. Since love is the fulfilling of the law, it's equivalent to saying that God requires love. But love is not something one can require, it has to be voluntarily given. You don't meet a girl you like, and the require that she love you. It doesn't work that way. Love is awakened by love. We love God because He first loved us. His wonderful character inspires us to love Him, and love our neighbor too, if we do not resist the prompting of the Holy Spirit.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #107644
01/18/09 06:05 PM
01/18/09 06:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
So how can you say I didn't answer a question for 13 pages which you hadn't even asked?

Are you calling me a liar? Check it out. Here's the first time I asked the question (posted above) - "Do these verses require "slavish" obedience since they do not contain better reasons why God commands people to rest on the seventh day?" Other questions arose afterward. But this was the original one. At any rate, thank you for answering my original question.

No and yes.

I don't see where you answered my question. While under the NC did God require the Jews to obey and observe everything He commanded them {the moral law, the ceremonial laws, the laws of Moses)? Was there anything God commanded them that stands in contradiction to the law of love, the moral law?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #107645
01/18/09 06:31 PM
01/18/09 06:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
“Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him.”

Again, Isa 53 does not explain why Jesus had to die. It merely describes how He died. It also says it pleased God to bruise him.

I'm not really understanding your question. There are a number of Gospel promises, including Gen. 3:15 and so forth. Jesus said that Moses saw His day and wrote of Him.

I’ll reword the questions: Please show me where Moses explained why Jesus had to become a man and die on the cross. Gensis 3:15 does not explain why. Also, show me where Moses explained why the animal sacrifices symbolize the death of the Son of God.

T:You say, "I don't see where Waggoner explained vital truths that cannot be found clearly explained in the SOP. Do you?" I certainly see vital truths they explained that you don't see present in her writings.

What vital truths are you referring to? And, how does my view differ from the view presented by Ellen and Elliot? Please post quotes from the SOP to support a view you believe contradicts what I believe. I cannot think of anything she taught that contradicts what I believe.

Quote:
M: Also, if Waggoner explained something "more clearly" than Ellen did, please show me. Post something he said that is "more clearly" explained. Place his and her explanations side-by-side so we can compare them. Thank you.

T: I think this would be a better exercise for you to do on your own. Ellen White said that Waggoner could explain righteousness by faith better than she, but she didn't point to specific passages she wrote which were less clear than things that she wrote, and I don't feel impressed to go beyond where she went.

One area I think Waggoner wrote particularly clearly is in regards to the covenants, which EGW described as "truth" and "as clear as sunlight." I'd be happy to quote some passages of Waggoner on this subject if you'd like.

As you know I have already compared Ellen and Elliot and have come to conclusions, namely, I have found nothing he explains “more clearly” than she does. I doubt there is anything you can post which explains something “more clearly” than she did.

Quote:

M:Now that you've clarified what you meant, I have a different question I'd like you to answer. Here it is - Do you think sinners are lost by default? Or, do you think they are saved by default? If sinners do nothing at all are they lost or saved?

T: Before going on to a new question, how about some closure on the previous one. Do you agree that this statement

Yes, sinners would be saved if they responded to the loving entreaties of God.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #107651
01/18/09 08:04 PM
01/18/09 08:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:So how can you say I didn't answer a question for 13 pages which you hadn't even asked?

M:Are you calling me a liar?

No, your problem here is not one of deceit but of lack of comprehension. Here's our conversation:

Quote:
M: Let’s back up and start over. I believe Gen 3:1-3 and Ex 20:8-11 give as reason for keeping the Sabbath the fact God rested on that day. This reason is sufficient to trust and obey God intelligently rather than slavishly. No other reasons are needed. Do you agree?

T: This is a different question than you asked before. I view this as a hypothetical question, as I don't think anyone has been limited to the reasons given here. In particular, why ignore the other reasons given in the Pentateuch, all of which was written by Moses? In answer to your hypothetical question, I don't think just those 7 verses are enough to intelligently obey the Sabbath.

M: Yes, it is a different question.

When you say, "yes, it is a different question," that means it is a different question! Not the same question you asked before, but a new, different one.

Since this is a different question, it is not one I could have answered earlier.

Quote:
I don't see where you answered my question. While under the NC did God require the Jews to obey and observe everything He commanded them {the moral law, the ceremonial laws, the laws of Moses)? Was there anything God commanded them that stands in contradiction to the law of love, the moral law?

Here's what I said:

Quote:
Saying that God required this may give a wrong impression. The NC is simply the writing of the law in the heart. Since love is the fulfilling of the law, it's equivalent to saying that God requires love. But love is not something one can require, it has to be voluntarily given. You don't meet a girl you like, and the require that she love you. It doesn't work that way. Love is awakened by love. We love God because He first loved us. His wonderful character inspires us to love Him, and love our neighbor too, if we do not resist the prompting of the Holy Spirit.

Your whole way of looking at this is different than mine. I cannot answer your questions according to your perspective because I disagree with your perspective. Your perspective involves requirements and rules. Mine involves promises and love freely given, which is the fulfilling of the law.

God was not arbitrarily requiring things of the COI either under the NC or OC, but was seeking to lead them into the truth. He wanted a relationship with them, entered into by faith as a response to His incredible love. Love is the fulfilling of the law, which can only be obtained by a transformation of the heart. God had to take the COI where they were, and seek to lead them from that point of unbelief to a loving relationship with Him. What God communicated to them through Moses was intended to bring them to that point.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #107652
01/18/09 08:40 PM
01/18/09 08:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Again, Isa 53 does not explain why Jesus had to die. It merely describes how He died. It also says it pleased God to bruise him.

If you don't see that Isaiah 53 explains Christ's death, I don't think I can help you. I'm sorry about that.

Quote:
Please show me where Moses explained why Jesus had to become a man and die on the cross. Genesis 3:15 does not explain why. Also, show me where Moses explained why the animal sacrifices symbolize the death of the Son of God.

I don't understand why you're requesting these things. What's your point?

Quote:

M:What vital truths are you referring to? And, how does my view differ from the view presented by Ellen and Elliot? Please post quotes from the SOP to support a view you believe contradicts what I believe. I cannot think of anything she taught that contradicts what I believe.

I already suggested a course of action. Read what Waggoner wrote, being open to the possibility that when you disagree with him that he's right. I already explained that simply reading the SOP isn't likely to help, because you'll simply read her the same way you've been reading her. My opinion is that you could use something to give you a different perspective.

She said that Waggoner could teach righteousness by faith better than she. You disagree with her on this, thinking she is clearer than Waggoner. I see another possibility. It might be that she is right about this, and that you are wrong. It might be that Waggoner's teachings are clearer than hers, and that you have been misunderstanding her teachings. So, again, my suggestion is that you read Waggoner's teachings with an open mind, ready to investigate candidly the areas where you disagree with him, open to changing your mind about his being wrong and disagreeing with the SOP.

If you wish a specific point to study, I would suggest the covenants, and I suggest you start by reading Waggoner's comments in "The Glad Tidings" to Gal. 3:16-18, as well as his comments to Gal. 4:24.

Quote:
M:As you know I have already compared Ellen and Elliot and have come to conclusions, namely, I have found nothing he explains “more clearly” than she does. I doubt there is anything you can post which explains something “more clearly” than she did.

Your opinion on this matter disagrees with her. I agree with her opinion, that Waggoner's teachings were clearer than hers, and I also agree with her opinion that she was in agreement with what Waggoner taught, as opposed to your opinion that they differed.

My suggestion, again, would be to read Waggoner with an open mind. I would further suggest that you consider his arguments and reasoning, setting aside your own ideas temporarily, and investigate if what Waggoner says makes sense on its own merits.

Quote:

T: Before going on to a new question, how about some closure on the previous one. Do you agree that this statement

M:Yes, sinners would be saved if they responded to the loving entreaties of God.

To be clear, you are disagreeing with what you said previously? Namely, this:

Quote:
I do not agree sinners must resist Jesus’ love to be lost.

Regarding your question to me, I don't think that sinners are either lost nor saved by default.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #107671
01/19/09 05:40 PM
01/19/09 05:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:

If you don't see that Isaiah 53 explains Christ's death, I don't think I can help you. I'm sorry about that.

I am amazed you think it does. Nowhere does it say so. It merely describes Him suffering. You are mistaken if you think it describes why Jesus had to die.

Quote:
Please show me where Moses explained why Jesus had to become a man and die on the cross. Genesis 3:15 does not explain why. Also, show me where Moses explained why the animal sacrifices symbolize the death of the Son of God.

T: I don't understand why you're requesting these things. What's your point?

Please.

Quote:

M:What vital truths are you referring to? And, how does my view differ from the view presented by Ellen and Elliot? Please post quotes from the SOP to support a view you believe contradicts what I believe. I cannot think of anything she taught that contradicts what I believe.

T: I already suggested a course of action. Read what Waggoner wrote, being open to the possibility that when you disagree with him that he's right. I already explained that simply reading the SOP isn't likely to help, because you'll simply read her the same way you've been reading her. My opinion is that you could use something to give you a different perspective.

She said that Waggoner could teach righteousness by faith better than she. You disagree with her on this, thinking she is clearer than Waggoner. I see another possibility. It might be that she is right about this, and that you are wrong. It might be that Waggoner's teachings are clearer than hers, and that you have been misunderstanding her teachings. So, again, my suggestion is that you read Waggoner's teachings with an open mind, ready to investigate candidly the areas where you disagree with him, open to changing your mind about his being wrong and disagreeing with the SOP.

If you wish a specific point to study, I would suggest the covenants, and I suggest you start by reading Waggoner's comments in "The Glad Tidings" to Gal. 3:16-18, as well as his comments to Gal. 4:24.

I'm getting the impression you do not want to take the time to prove that Waggoner explains RBF or the NC/OC "more clearly" than did Ellen. Fine. Suit yourself. But I'm not the only one who disagrees with you. It would serve you well to take the time to substantiate you claims. Simply saying it is so, or quoting the SOP as saying so, does not cut it any more. Please lay their quotes side-by-side and prove that he explains it "more clearly" than she does. That should settle it once and for all. But if you don't think you can do it, then please stop insisting it is so.

Quote:

M:Yes, sinners would be saved if they responded to the loving entreaties of God.

T: To be clear, you are disagreeing with what you said previously? Namely, this: I do not agree sinners must resist Jesus’ love to be lost.

Regarding your question to me, I don't think that sinners are either lost nor saved by default.

I agree with both of my statements above. Sinners are lost until they embrace Jesus and abide in Him.

Please elaborate on what you mean by - "I don't think that sinners are either lost nor saved by default." If they are neither lost nor saved what are they? Are they lost because they have sinned? "All have sinned." Who does this exclude? Does it mean, Not all have sinned.

Page 23 of 36 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!