HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,603
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 1 invisible), 3,059 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 100 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #107934
02/06/09 08:16 PM
02/06/09 08:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: I've not suggested that Jesus employed the "withdraw and permit" method of causing death and destruction.

M:Did He employ it in the OT? If so, why didn’t He do it in the NT?

Your questions are predicated on the assumption that God causes death and destruction, which I think is a false assumption. As EGW points out:

Quote:
Satan is the destroyer; the Lord is the Restorer. (Christ Triumphant 239)

Quote:
The evil angels sought Jesus’ permission. His consent resulted in pigs drowning; otherwise, the pigs would not have died. Jesus is culpable.

By the same logic, God is culpable of all evil. Is this what you think?

Quote:
M: The point of the story, then, does not address the point of the question. The son did not misunderstand the will of the father. The Jews, however, did not understand God's will concerning the sinners, which why is they asked Him. Your story does not reflect these fasts. You cannot hide behind your story as if you've answered the question.

T: I think you're misunderstanding the issue. I think the real issue involved is as I've described, and that the father/hunter story applies. God's will concerning sinners is not to destroy them. Jesus Christ made that clear: For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.(Luke 9:56)

M:Are you arguing that your story illustrates that the Jews understood God’s will concerning the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer? If so, why did they tell Moses to inquire of God? And, why did God command the Jews to kill them?

No, I'm not saying the story illustrates that the Jews understood God's will concerning the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer. I explained what I think the story is addressing.

Quote:
M: You seem to be saying, yes, polygamy is a sin, and yes, God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy. No, yes, and yes to your questions.

T: I don't understand what you're saying here. Regarding what I said, I quoted Ellen White, who said that God never sanctioned polygamy even one, and that polygamy is a violation of God's will. Given that polygamy is a violation of God's will, it is sin. Given that He never sanctioned polygamy even once, He certainly didn't do so in the law of Moses, which appears to me to be your position. The point in mentioning polygamy, divorce and Israel's having their own king was to illustrate that God permits things to happen contrary to His will.

M:Again, you seem to be saying, yes, polygamy is a sin, and yes, God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy contrary to His will.

Again, I quoted Ellen White. Here was my main point:

Quote:
The point in mentioning polygamy, divorce and Israel's having their own king was to illustrate that God permits things to happen contrary to His will.

Do you agree with this?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #107935
02/06/09 09:23 PM
02/06/09 09:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Another way of looking at things is that God is superseding the laws of cause and effect. This is what MM is suggesting. There is not natural connection between A and B, but God punishes those who do A by doing B to them, for just reasons. If there is no cause and effect, then God's doing B is arbitrary.

An example of this method of causing death and destruction is the Flood. Their sins did not cause water above and below the earth to burst forth and kill everyone and everything. God, of course, employs other methods of causing death and destruction. He is not limited to one method.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #107996
02/08/09 02:47 AM
02/08/09 02:47 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Another way of looking at things is that God is superseding the laws of cause and effect. This is what MM is suggesting. There is not natural connection between A and B, but God punishes those who do A by doing B to them, for just reasons. If there is no cause and effect, then God's doing B is arbitrary.

M:An example of this method of causing death and destruction is the Flood. Their sins did not cause water above and below the earth to burst forth and kill everyone and everything. God, of course, employs other methods of causing death and destruction. He is not limited to one method.

You view God as employing different methods of causing death and destruction. You see God's actions as portrayed in GC chapter 1 as one of the methods God uses.

I see some difficulties with this idea. First of all, it doesn't take into account principles like the following:

1.God does not use force to overcome rebellion.
2.Force is not a principle of God's government.
3.Force is the last resort of every false religion.
4.Jesus Christ revealed all that man can know about God.
5.God is the restorer; Satan is the destroyer.

The whole idea that God is the One who causes death and destruction is false. God restores and Satan destroys. Satan is the author of sin and all of its results, which include death and destruction. Death and destruction come as a result of choosing Satan's ways over God's.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108030
02/08/09 06:11 PM
02/08/09 06:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
You view God as employing different methods of causing death and destruction. You see God's actions as portrayed in GC chapter 1 as one of the methods God uses.

Correct.

I see some difficulties with this idea. First of all, it doesn't take into account principles like the following:

My views are in total harmony with these principles.

The whole idea that God is the One who causes death and destruction is false.

I disagree. The Flood is an example of God causing death and destruction. Someone might argue that the forces of nature destroyed the world and killed sinners, which, of course, is true. However, someone else could falsely argue that it was the bullet that killed the thief not the vigilante. The point is - God wields the forces of nature that cause death and destruction. Listen:

The depths of the earth are the Lord's arsenal, whence were drawn weapons to be employed in the destruction of the old world. Waters gushing from the earth united with the waters from heaven to accomplish the work of desolation. Since the Flood, fire as well as water has been God's agent to destroy very wicked cities. {PP 109.1}

The bowels of the earth were the Lord's arsenal, from which he drew forth the weapons he employed in the destruction of the old world. Waters in the bowels of the earth gushed forth, and united with the waters from Heaven, to accomplish the work of destruction. Since the flood, God has used both water and fire in the earth as his agents to destroy wicked cities. {3SG 82.2}

As he called forth the waters in the earth at the time of the flood, as weapons from his arsenal to accomplish the destruction of the antediluvian race, so at the end of the one thousand years he will call forth the fires in the earth as his weapons which he has reserved for the final destruction, not only of successive generations since the flood, but the antediluvian race who perished by the flood. {3SG 87.1}

God restores and Satan destroys. Satan is the author of sin and all of its results, which include death and destruction. Death and destruction come as a result of choosing Satan's ways over God's.

Are you suggesting evil angels are responsible for causing all the death and destruction recorded throughout the Bible?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108031
02/08/09 07:07 PM
02/08/09 07:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: I've not suggested that Jesus employed the "withdraw and permit" method of causing death and destruction.

M: Did He employ it in the OT? If so, why didn’t He do it in the NT?

T: Your questions are predicated on the assumption that God causes death and destruction, which I think is a false assumption. As EGW points out: Satan is the destroyer; the Lord is the Restorer. (Christ Triumphant 239)

In what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy the world and to kill sinners? Was He “restoring” the world to its former state of righteousness by allowing the Flood to rid the world of sinners?

Quote:
M: The evil angels sought Jesus’ permission. His consent resulted in pigs drowning; otherwise, the pigs would not have died. Jesus is culpable.

T: By the same logic, God is culpable of all evil. Is this what you think?

One point at a time, please. Do you agree the pigs were safe until Jesus gave evil angels permission to drown them? Or, do you think the evil angels killed the pigs in violation Jesus’ command not to do so?

Quote:
M: The point of the story, then, does not address the point of the question. The son did not misunderstand the will of the father. The Jews, however, did not understand God's will concerning the sinners, which why is they asked Him. Your story does not reflect these fasts. You cannot hide behind your story as if you've answered the question.

T: I think you're misunderstanding the issue. I think the real issue involved is as I've described, and that the father/hunter story applies. God's will concerning sinners is not to destroy them. Jesus Christ made that clear: For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.(Luke 9:56)

M: Are you arguing that your story illustrates that the Jews understood God’s will concerning the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer? If so, why did they tell Moses to inquire of God? And, why did God command the Jews to kill them?

T: No, I'm not saying the story illustrates that the Jews understood God's will concerning the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer. I explained what I think the story is addressing.

My question concerns why you think God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer. Your story illustrates God taking the risk of being misunderstood but it doesn’t explain why God commanded Moses to kill those two guys.

So, again, here are my questions – Why do you think God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer? Why did He take the risk of being misunderstood? Why didn’t He take the risk of sharing His true feelings about capital punishment? What would have happened if God had simply told them the truth about capital punishment instead of commanding Moses to kill sinners?

Quote:
M: You seem to be saying, yes, polygamy is a sin, and yes, God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy. No, yes, and yes to your questions.

T: I don't understand what you're saying here. Regarding what I said, I quoted Ellen White, who said that God never sanctioned polygamy even one, and that polygamy is a violation of God's will. Given that polygamy is a violation of God's will, it is sin. Given that He never sanctioned polygamy even once, He certainly didn't do so in the law of Moses, which appears to me to be your position. The point in mentioning polygamy, divorce and Israel's having their own king was to illustrate that God permits things to happen contrary to His will.

M: Again, you seem to be saying, yes, polygamy is a sin, and yes, God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy contrary to His will.

T: Again, I quoted Ellen White. Here was my main point: The point in mentioning polygamy, divorce and Israel's having their own king was to illustrate that God permits things to happen contrary to His will. Do you agree with this?

I do not believe God ever caved in to pressure and permitted sinners to practice sin contrary to His will and law. The fact God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy, get divorced, and to have a king is evidence such things are not sinful in and of themselves. They were, nevertheless, contrary to God’s ideal will and desire for them. Do you agree?

Or, do you think God permitted the Jews to practice sin contrary to His ideal will and desire for them? If so, why would He do such a thing? Was it to make Himself look better? Listen:

Romans
3:7 For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?
3:8 And not rather, (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108042
02/08/09 09:12 PM
02/08/09 09:12 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

My views are in total harmony with these principles.

It's pretty amazing to me that you can think so. For example, you believe exactly that God used force to overcome rebellion, even violent force. Regarding principle #4, you've been denying this the whole time. Regarding #5, you say that God uses various methods to cause destruction. Causing destruction makes one a destroyer.

Quote:
T:The whole idea that God is the One who causes death and destruction is false.

M:I disagree.

Right, we disagree on this. I see God as the restorer, and Satan as the destroyer. You see God as using multiple ways to cause death and destruction.

Quote:
T:God restores and Satan destroys. Satan is the author of sin and all of its results, which include death and destruction. Death and destruction come as a result of choosing Satan's ways over God's.

M:Are you suggesting evil angels are responsible for causing all the death and destruction recorded throughout the Bible?

In the sense that Satan is the author of sin and all its results, yes. One of the purposes of the GC is to reveal that God is not responsible for any evil that happens.

Quote:
In what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy the world and to kill sinners? Was He “restoring” the world to its former state of righteousness by allowing the Flood to rid the world of sinners?

I'm not sure what you mean by "its former state of righteousness," but this was basically what God was doing. Justice in Scripture has to do with restoring the covenant community to shalom. However, the context in which God is described as "restorer" has to do with His restoring those who desire such, as God highly respects free will.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108062
02/09/09 02:40 PM
02/09/09 02:40 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
MM, I'm interested in how you will address Tom's above questions. For I too am speechless how you can say you agree God causes death and destruction, yet say "My views are in total harmony with these principles" relating to the above 5 list especially emphasizing the word "force". Could you describe how someone could cause death and destruction without force?

The way I see it, it is the same as I mentioned relating to "Brave New World", which you never said if you had read or not. If not, you won't know what I'm talking about. The idea is called, "double-speak". Maybe you've heard of that.

Re: does God punish? [Re: kland] #108065
02/09/09 05:31 PM
02/09/09 05:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: I see some difficulties with this idea. First of all, it doesn't take into account principles like the following:

M: My views are in total harmony with these principles.

T: It's pretty amazing to me that you can think so. For example, you believe exactly that God used force to overcome rebellion, even violent force. Regarding principle #4, you've been denying this the whole time. Regarding #5, you say that God uses various methods to cause destruction. Causing destruction makes one a destroyer.

I do not believe God used violent force to overcome rebellion. I do not deny #4. Nor am I at odds with #5. Your translation of my views is biased and inaccurate which explains why you feel the way you do about my views.

Quote:
T: God restores and Satan destroys. Satan is the author of sin and all of its results, which include death and destruction. Death and destruction come as a result of choosing Satan's ways over God's.

M: Are you suggesting evil angels are responsible for causing all the death and destruction recorded throughout the Bible?

T: In the sense that Satan is the author of sin and all its results, yes. One of the purposes of the GC is to reveal that God is not responsible for any evil that happens.

What are you labeling as “evil”? Are you suggesting things like the Flood are evil? Are you suggesting Satan is the one who employed the forces of nature to cause the death and destruction related to the Flood? Are you suggesting sin is what caused the forces of nature to destroy the planet and to kill sinners? Are you suggesting God had nothing to do with the Flood? What do you mean when you say Satan is responsible for causing all the death and destruction recorded in the Bible?

Quote:
M: In what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy the world and to kill sinners? Was He “restoring” the world to its former state of righteousness by allowing the Flood to rid the world of sinners?

T: I'm not sure what you mean by "its former state of righteousness," but this was basically what God was doing. Justice in Scripture has to do with restoring the covenant community to shalom. However, the context in which God is described as "restorer" has to do with His restoring those who desire such, as God highly respects free will.

Again, in what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy the world and to kill sinners? What did He restore? What was restored when the planet was destroyed and when sinners were killed?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108066
02/09/09 05:33 PM
02/09/09 05:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
M: The evil angels sought Jesus’ permission. His consent resulted in pigs drowning; otherwise, the pigs would not have died. Jesus is culpable.

T: By the same logic, God is culpable of all evil. Is this what you think?

One point at a time, please. Do you agree the pigs were safe until Jesus gave evil angels permission to drown them? Or, do you think the evil angels killed the pigs in violation Jesus’ command not to do so?

Quote:

M: Are you arguing that your story illustrates that the Jews understood God’s will concerning the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer? If so, why did they tell Moses to inquire of God? And, why did God command the Jews to kill them?

T: No, I'm not saying the story illustrates that the Jews understood God's will concerning the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer. I explained what I think the story is addressing.

My question concerns why you think God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer. Your story illustrates God taking the risk of being misunderstood but it doesn’t explain why God commanded Moses to kill those two guys.

So, again, here are my questions – Why do you think God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer? Why did He take the risk of being misunderstood? Why didn’t He take the risk of sharing His true feelings about capital punishment? What would have happened if God had simply told them the truth about capital punishment instead of commanding Moses to kill sinners?

Quote:

M: Again, you seem to be saying, yes, polygamy is a sin, and yes, God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy contrary to His will.

T: Again, I quoted Ellen White. Here was my main point: The point in mentioning polygamy, divorce and Israel's having their own king was to illustrate that God permits things to happen contrary to His will. Do you agree with this?

I do not believe God ever caved in to pressure and permitted sinners to practice sin contrary to His will and law. The fact God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy, get divorced, and to have a king is evidence such things are not sinful in and of themselves. They were, nevertheless, contrary to God’s ideal will and desire for them. Do you agree?

Or, do you think God permitted the Jews to practice sin contrary to His ideal will and desire for them? If so, why would He do such a thing? Was it to make Himself look better? Listen:

Romans
3:7 For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?
3:8 And not rather, (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108068
02/09/09 05:43 PM
02/09/09 05:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Could you describe how someone could cause death and destruction without force?

Punishment is not considered force. Nor is it considered violence or murder. Listen:

Genesis
6:13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Leviticus
26:28 Then I will walk contrary unto you also in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins.
26:29 And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.
26:30 And I will destroy your high places, and cut down your images, and cast your carcases upon the carcases of your idols, and my soul shall abhor you.

Isaiah
42:13 The LORD shall go forth as a mighty man, he shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: he shall cry, yea, roar; he shall prevail against his enemies.
42:14 I have long time holden my peace; I have been still, [and] refrained myself: [now] will I cry like a travailing woman; I will destroy and devour at once.
42:15 I will make waste mountains and hills, and dry up all their herbs; and I will make the rivers islands, and I will dry up the pools.

Ezekiel
25:7 Behold, therefore I will stretch out mine hand upon thee, and will deliver thee for a spoil to the heathen; and I will cut thee off from the people, and I will cause thee to perish out of the countries: I will destroy thee; and thou shalt know that I [am] the LORD.

Page 21 of 100 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 04/29/24 07:16 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!