HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 44 of 55 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #107963
02/07/09 03:31 PM
02/07/09 03:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, I was hoping you would address the point in 107667.

Question - Are people guilty of committing a certain sin, even though they are not currently committing it, because they have cultivated it in the past and might commit it again in the future?

Of course not. Why would you be guilty for something you might do in the future? I don't understand how your question makes any sense.

Quote:
Tom, does the sinless experience described in COL 69 you posted above apply only to certain end-time people?

Since it says that when COL 69 happens, Christ will come again, this experience only takes place right before Christ comes.

Quote:
Or, is this experience available now?

Depending on how strictly you define "now," the experience may be available now, but if it takes place now, then Christ will come now, since the statement says that when Christ's character is reproduced in His people, He will come and claim them as His own.

Quote:
If so, do you know of any other quotes which describe people experiencing sinlessness before end-time events begin to unfold?

DA and COL have a number of similar quotes. For example, the last chapter "The Bridegroom Cometh" of COL. COL 69 is probably the clearest in connecting Christ's coming to what Christ's people do (as opposed to being a pre-ordained event by God, dependent on His timing).

Regarding HP 146.5, as I stated earlier, she appears to me to be speaking in terms of what happens when one is born again. For example:

Quote:
Everyone who believes on Christ, ... will through faith in the atoning sacrifice of Christ become a partaker of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

She seems to be describing the characteristics of one who believes in Christ.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #107968
02/07/09 07:02 PM
02/07/09 07:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Are people guilty of committing a certain sin, even though they are not currently committing it, because they have cultivated it in the past and might commit it again in the future?

T: Of course not. Why would you be guilty for something you might do in the future? I don't understand how your question makes any sense.

I agree with you. But I’ve met people who believe Christians are guilty of sin because sin is a state of being, that having weaknesses and being predisposed to sin makes them guilty. But I disagree. Having weaknesses, imperfections, and defects do not make people guilty so long as they subdue them and keep them under the control of a sanctified will and mind. Do you agree?

Quote:
M: Tom, does the sinless experience described in COL 69 you posted above apply only to certain end-time people?

T: Since it says that when COL 69 happens, Christ will come again, this experience only takes place right before Christ comes.

M: Or, is this experience available now?

T: Depending on how strictly you define "now," the experience may be available now, but if it takes place now, then Christ will come now, since the statement says that when Christ's character is reproduced in His people, He will come and claim them as His own.

I agree. Corporate perfection happens right before Jesus returns. It also happens after the shaking and during the loud cry of the latter rain and during the MOB crisis.

Quote:
M: If so, do you know of any other quotes which describe people experiencing sinlessness before end-time events begin to unfold?

T: DA and COL have a number of similar quotes. For example, the last chapter "The Bridegroom Cometh" of COL. COL 69 is probably the clearest in connecting Christ's coming to what Christ's people do (as opposed to being a pre-ordained event by God, dependent on His timing).

Regarding HP 146.5, as I stated earlier, she appears to me to be speaking in terms of what happens when one is born again. For example: Everyone who believes on Christ, ... will through faith in the atoning sacrifice of Christ become a partaker of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

She seems to be describing the characteristics of one who believes in Christ.

So, is it possible to experience individual sinlessness (as opposed to corporate sinlessness) before end-time events begin to unfold? Is this what you think HP 146.5 is describing (posted below)? If not this quote, then do you know of a quote that describes people experiencing individual sinlessness before end-time events begin to unfold?

Quote:
Those who believe on Christ and obey His commandments are not under bondage to God's law; for to those who believe and obey, His law is not a law of bondage, but of liberty. Everyone who believes on Christ, everyone who relies on the keeping power of a risen Saviour that has suffered the penalty pronounced upon the transgressor, everyone who resists temptation and in the midst of evil copies the pattern given in the Christ life, will through faith in the atoning sacrifice of Christ become a partaker of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. Everyone who by faith obeys God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. {HP 146.5}

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #107969
02/07/09 07:18 PM
02/07/09 07:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, is the "completeness of Christian character" (as described below) available to people now, before end-time events begin to unfold? Or, is this experience only available to those who pass through the shaking and partake of the latter rain?

Quote:
"Let us not love in word," the apostle writes, "but in deed and in truth." The completeness of Christian character is attained when the impulse to help and bless others springs constantly from within. It is the atmosphere of this love surrounding the soul of the believer that makes him a savor of life unto life and enables God to bless his work. {AA 551.1}

Love is the basis of godliness. Whatever the profession, no man has pure love to God unless he has unselfish love for his brother. But we can never come into possession of this spirit by trying to love others. What is needed is the love of Christ in the heart. When self is merged in Christ, love springs forth spontaneously. The completeness of Christian character is attained when the impulse to help and bless others springs constantly from within--when the sunshine of heaven fills the heart and is revealed in the countenance. {COL 384.2}

Another question. Is the "completeness of Christian character" (as described above) the same thing as individual people reaching "the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression" (as described in HP 146.5)? Or, do you see difference? If so, please explain.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #107994
02/08/09 02:35 AM
02/08/09 02:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Are people guilty of committing a certain sin, even though they are not currently committing it, because they have cultivated it in the past and might commit it again in the future?

T: Of course not. Why would you be guilty for something you might do in the future? I don't understand how your question makes any sense.

M:I agree with you. But I’ve met people who believe Christians are guilty of sin because sin is a state of being, that having weaknesses and being predisposed to sin makes them guilty. But I disagree.

I disagree with this idea as well. Of course, if this idea were true, Christ could not have taken the nature of Adam after the fall.

Quote:
So, is it possible to experience individual sinlessness (as opposed to corporate sinlessness) before end-time events begin to unfold? Is this what you think HP 146.5 is describing (posted below)? If not this quote, then do you know of a quote that describes people experiencing individual sinlessness before end-time events begin to unfold?

Since she speaks in terms of "everyone who believes in Christ," I think she is speaking of an experience which everyone who believes in Christ has. Regarding your last question, I think the COL 69 quote frames things properly; that is, it's not a question of individuals being sinless, but of the corporate body reproducing the character of Christ -- that's what's important.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #107995
02/08/09 02:41 AM
02/08/09 02:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, is the "completeness of Christian character" (as described below) available to people now, before end-time events begin to unfold? Or, is this experience only available to those who pass through the shaking and partake of the latter rain?

It didn't appear to me that the phrase "completeness of Christian character" as used in the quotes you provided were being used in a special context (i.e. limited to end-time events).

Quote:
Another question. Is the "completeness of Christian character" (as described above) the same thing as individual people reaching "the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression" (as described in HP 146.5)? Or, do you see difference? If so, please explain.

These seem to me to be speaking of similar things.

Regarding the COL 69 quote, why do you think this hasn't happened yet? (i.e., that Christ's people haven't reproduced His character, so that He can come and claim them as His own)

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #108032
02/08/09 07:19 PM
02/08/09 07:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: MM
Having weaknesses, imperfections, and defects do not make people guilty so long as they subdue them and keep them under the control of a sanctified will and mind. Do you agree?

Tom, do you agree? If so, do you also think believers can attain unto pre-fall sinlessness while subduing their weaknesses and imperfections and defects, while keeping them under the control of a sanctified will and mind? Or, do you think they must first totally eliminate their weaknesses and imperfections and defects before they can attain unto pre-fall sinlessness?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #108033
02/08/09 07:27 PM
02/08/09 07:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Regarding the COL 69 quote, why do you think this hasn't happened yet? (i.e., that Christ's people haven't reproduced His character, so that He can come and claim them as His own)

I'm not sure. Perhaps it has something to do with members of the Remnant Church not experiencing the truth as it is in Jesus. Or, maybe its because the whole world has not yet witnessed the truth as it is in Jesus revealed in the lives of members of the Remnant Church. Or, it might have something to do with the Remnant Church rejecting the messages God shared through J&W.

What do you think?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #108044
02/08/09 09:24 PM
02/08/09 09:24 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:Having weaknesses, imperfections, and defects do not make people guilty so long as they subdue them and keep them under the control of a sanctified will and mind. Do you agree?

Tom, do you agree? If so, do you also think believers can attain unto pre-fall sinlessness while subduing their weaknesses and imperfections and defects, while keeping them under the control of a sanctified will and mind? Or, do you think they must first totally eliminate their weaknesses and imperfections and defects before they can attain unto pre-fall sinlessness?

I think of these things in somewhat different terms. First of all, you write that having imperfections, weaknesses, and so forth do not make people guilty so long as the subdue them. Regardless of whether or not they subdue these things, it is not these things which make people guilty, but their choices/actions/decisions/behavior which make them guilty. For example, we all have sinful natures. Our sinful natures do not make us guilty, regardless of how we respond to the temptation that comes to us from this nature.

Regarding how to obtain sinlessness, I think you're concentrating on the wrong thing. I think if one concentrates on sin, one is bound to experience defeat. As we behold Christ, we become like Him. Becoming like Christ leads to victory over sin. I think Christlikeness needs to be the emphasis, and then overcoming sin becomes a consequence of that.

Quote:
T:Regarding the COL 69 quote, why do you think this hasn't happened yet? (i.e., that Christ's people haven't reproduced His character, so that He can come and claim them as His own)

M:I'm not sure. Perhaps it has something to do with members of the Remnant Church not experiencing the truth as it is in Jesus. Or, maybe its because the whole world has not yet witnessed the truth as it is in Jesus revealed in the lives of members of the Remnant Church. Or, it might have something to do with the Remnant Church rejecting the messages God shared through J&W.

What do you think?

From 1SM 234, 5 we read:

Quote:
An unwillingness to yield up preconceived opinions, and to accept this truth, lay at the foundation of a large share of the opposition manifested at Minneapolis against the Lord's message through Brethren [E.J.] Waggoner and [A.T.] Jones. By exciting that opposition Satan succeeded in shutting away from our people, in a great measure, the special power of the Holy Spirit that God longed to impart to them. The enemy prevented them from obtaining that efficiency which might have been theirs in carrying the truth to the world, as the apostles proclaimed it after the day of Pentecost. The light that is to lighten the whole earth with its glory was resisted, and by the action of our own brethren has been in a great degree kept away from the world. (emphasis mine)

I think the last sentence, underlined, answers the question I raised. The light that is to lighten the earth with glory is a reference to Rev. 18:1, the "other angel," to which she refers in other places as "the loud cry of the third angel's message" or "the latter rain." This light came in the form of a message. The word "gospel" means "good news," which is a message from God. I think the reason Christ hasn't come is because the message which prepares His coming has not been received. When that message is received, it will produce the harvest spoken of in COL 69.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #108077
02/09/09 09:35 PM
02/09/09 09:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Having weaknesses, imperfections, and defects do not make people guilty so long as they subdue them and keep them under the control of a sanctified will and mind. Do you agree?

If so, do you also think believers can attain unto pre-fall sinlessness while subduing their weaknesses and imperfections and defects, while keeping them under the control of a sanctified will and mind?

Or, do you think they must first totally eliminate their weaknesses and imperfections and defects before they can attain unto pre-fall sinlessness?

T: I think of these things in somewhat different terms. First of all, you write that having imperfections, weaknesses, and so forth do not make people guilty so long as the subdue them. Regardless of whether or not they subdue these things, it is not these things which make people guilty, but their choices/actions/decisions/behavior which make them guilty. For example, we all have sinful natures. Our sinful natures do not make us guilty, regardless of how we respond to the temptation that comes to us from this nature.

I agree having weaknesses, imperfections, and defects do not make people guilty. But I’m still not sure what you believe about attaining unto prefall sinlessness as it pertains to having weaknesses, imperfections, and defects. Can people still have inherent weaknesses, imperfections, and defects and attain unto prefall sinlessness (by focusing on Christ and Him crucified rather than on not sinning)?

Quote:
T: Regarding how to obtain sinlessness, I think you're concentrating on the wrong thing. I think if one concentrates on sin, one is bound to experience defeat. As we behold Christ, we become like Him. Becoming like Christ leads to victory over sin. I think Christlikeness needs to be the emphasis, and then overcoming sin becomes a consequence of that.

Yes, being like Jesus requires spending quality time with Him in prayer, in meditation, in song, in truth, in scripture, in outreach, in fellowship, etc. As believers do this they are being like Jesus. This applies more particularly to those who have learned how to obey and observe everything Jesus has commanded. All others are unlike Jesus in those truths they have not learned to obey and observe. Do you agree?

Also, being like Jesus requires believers to labor, agonize, wrestle, and strive against internal and external tendencies and temptations to sin. At times it is not an easy matter to resist the temptations to be unlike Jesus. Most fail before they resist unto blood striving against sin. Sin can also be very subtle and difficult to discern. That’s why people need books like Creeping Compromises to know and understand the difference between sinning and being like Jesus. Do you agree?

Quote:
T: Regarding the COL 69 quote, why do you think this hasn't happened yet? (i.e., that Christ's people haven't reproduced His character, so that He can come and claim them as His own)

M: I'm not sure. Perhaps it has something to do with members of the Remnant Church not experiencing the truth as it is in Jesus. Or, maybe its because the whole world has not yet witnessed the truth as it is in Jesus revealed in the lives of members of the Remnant Church. Or, it might have something to do with the Remnant Church rejecting the messages God shared through J&W. What do you think?

T: From 1SM 234, 5 we read: An unwillingness to yield up preconceived opinions, and to accept this truth, lay at the foundation of a large share of the opposition manifested at Minneapolis against the Lord's message through Brethren [E.J.] Waggoner and [A.T.] Jones. By exciting that opposition Satan succeeded in shutting away from our people, in a great measure, the special power of the Holy Spirit that God longed to impart to them. The enemy prevented them from obtaining that efficiency which might have been theirs in carrying the truth to the world, as the apostles proclaimed it after the day of Pentecost. The light that is to lighten the whole earth with its glory was resisted, and by the action of our own brethren has been in a great degree kept away from the world. (emphasis mine)

I think the last sentence, underlined, answers the question I raised. The light that is to lighten the earth with glory is a reference to Rev. 18:1, the "other angel," to which she refers in other places as "the loud cry of the third angel's message" or "the latter rain." This light came in the form of a message. The word "gospel" means "good news," which is a message from God. I think the reason Christ hasn't come is because the message which prepares His coming has not been received. When that message is received, it will produce the harvest spoken of in COL 69.

Amen! Now for the hard part – Can we summarize that “message” in 100 words or less? Or, is it too complicated? What truths must be understood, experienced, and proclaimed to the world before Jesus can return?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #108086
02/09/09 10:53 PM
02/09/09 10:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I agree having weaknesses, imperfections, and defects do not make people guilty. But I’m still not sure what you believe about attaining unto prefall sinlessness as it pertains to having weaknesses, imperfections, and defects. Can people still have inherent weaknesses, imperfections, and defects and attain unto prefall sinlessness (by focusing on Christ and Him crucified rather than on not sinning)?

Are you talking about having a sinful nature? If so, then yes, assuming by "prefall sinlessness" you mean not sinning. That is, the above seems like a rather complicated way of asking if people with sinful natures can completely overcome sin, and assuming this is your question, I answer "yes!"

Quote:
That’s why people need books like Creeping Compromises to know and understand the difference between sinning and being like Jesus. Do you agree?

No. I don't think books like "Creeping Compromises" are helpful in this regard, primarily because of a wrong emphasis. I think the teachings of Jones and Waggoner are particularly helpful to the end of overcoming sin. Also books like "The Desire of Ages" and "Christ's Object Lessons" I think are particularly helpful.

Quote:
Amen! Now for the hard part – Can we summarize that “message” in 100 words or less? Or, is it too complicated? What truths must be understood, experienced, and proclaimed to the world before Jesus can return?

I think the book "Christ and His Righteousness" is a good summary. I wouldn't say it's "too complicated," but it's like asking if "The Desire of Ages" can be summarized in 100 words or less. "The Glad Tidings" is also a good book.

Page 44 of 55 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!