HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 100 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #108183
02/11/09 02:17 PM
02/11/09 02:17 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
"Does God Punish?"

I truly do not understand why Adventists would need to spend so much time debating whether or not God punishes. The Bible says He does in about as many words. What's more, no one needs to claim that God punishes "nicely," because punishment would not be punishment if it were plush treatment. No one is supposed to enjoy it. That's why we call it punishment!

Originally Posted By: The Bible

And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear. (Genesis 4:13, KJV)

The first murderer was punished by God, as evidenced here by his own admission, and he thought it unbearable.

For the punishment of the iniquity of the daughter of my people is greater than the punishment of the sin of Sodom, that was overthrown as in a moment, and no hands stayed on her. (Lamentations 4:6, KJV)

Sodom was punished. Iniquity is punished. Is there anyone here brave enough to say Sodom was not punished by God? And if so, who punished Sodom?

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. (Matthew 25:46, KJV)

These were Jesus' own words. There is only one Being capable of inflicting an "everlasting" punishment, for He only is everlasting. God declares that vengeance is His. This final punishment is just that. It is the final act of vengeance of a God named "Jealous."

For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God: (Exodus 34:14, KJV)

(For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you) lest the anger of the LORD thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth. (Deuteronomy 6:15, KJV)

Those texts teach that God is jealous for our worship. Those who do not worship God will ultimately be destroyed.

Originally Posted By: "The Bible"

And if ye will not yet for all this hearken unto me, then I will punish you seven times more for your sins. (Leviticus 26:18, KJV)

And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible. (Isaiah 13:11, KJV)

For, behold, the LORD cometh out of his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity: the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain. (Isaiah 26:21, KJV)

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will punish all them which are circumcised with the uncircumcised; (Jeremiah 9:25, KJV)

For I am with thee, saith the LORD, to save thee: though I make a full end of all nations whither I have scattered thee, yet I will not make a full end of thee: but I will correct thee in measure, and will not leave thee altogether unpunished. (Jeremiah 30:11, KJV)

Enough texts already. There are scores of texts in the Bible speaking of God's capacity, willingness, duty, and promises to punish those who depart from Him and from His commandments.

So, in answer to the question of this thread--Yes. God does indeed punish. This is such a clear fact, that it appears those who would deny it are but seeking an escape from guilty conscience. Such a retreat from reality will, unfortunately, prove short-lived.

You can deny it for a time, but you cannot prevent it. "For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." (Ecclesiastes 12:14, KJV)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Green Cochoa] #108185
02/11/09 04:28 PM
02/11/09 04:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
"Does God Punish?"

I truly do not understand why Adventists would need to spend so much time debating whether or not God punishes. The Bible says He does in about as many words. What's more, no one needs to claim that God punishes "nicely," because punishment would not be punishment if it were plush treatment. No one is supposed to enjoy it. That's why we call it punishment!

Here is the initial post of the thread, by the one who opened it:

Quote:
I am very curious as to how different people view this issue of God "punishing" people.

Does God punish us in our daily lives, or at the end of the 1000 years?

How is the how, what, when, where and why understood?

So the title is perhaps a bit misleading. No one is questioning whether or not punishment takes place, but the details. For example, is punishment something imposed by God (i.e. something God does to guilty people to make them suffer) or is it the consequence of decisions which have been made, which God allows to happen.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108195
02/11/09 07:25 PM
02/11/09 07:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC, Tom believes that God punishes full-cup sinners by withdrawing His protection and permitting one of the following results to play out:

1. God, who must actively prevent the forces of nature from imploding upon itself and killing sinners in the process, is compelled to withdraw His protection and to permit the forces of nature to run its natural course and kill targeted sinners.

2. God commands the holy angels to withdraw their protection and to permit evil angels to cause the death and destruction of targeted sinners and places.

3. God withdraws His protection and permits evil men and empires to cause the death and destruction of targeted sinners and places.

And, on another note, Tom also believes God withdraws His protection and permits evil men and angels to cause the suffering and death of His chosen people.

Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #108196
02/11/09 07:36 PM
02/11/09 07:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
M: I do not believe God ever caved in to pressure and permitted sinners to practice sin contrary to His will and law. The fact God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy, get divorced, and to have a king is evidence such things are not sinful in and of themselves. They were, nevertheless, contrary to God’s ideal will and desire for them. Do you agree?

t: just dealing with the polygamy part for the moment, it is interesting that you do not consider it a sin.
Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

just because i might be legally married to 10 men at the same time, how do you figure i didnt committ adultery starting with the second husband, not to mention the thought that preceded the act? committing adultery is a sin, is it not? or do we humans decide what sin is? or is that an ok sin in Gods sight? just curious how the reasoning goes here.

M: The reasoning goes like this - God permitted polygamy in the law of Moses, therefore, when practiced in accordance with the law it was not a sin. Adultery happens when a married person has sex with a married person they're not married to.

t: i would suggest, my brother, that you are getting on very dangerous ground here.

Thank you for the gentle warning about getting on very dangerous ground. I need all the help I can get.

Quote:
t: God allows us to live. does that mean that we do not sin?

In light of what I posted above I'm not sure what you mean here. Please elaborate. Thank you.

Quote:
t: God keeps the serial killer alive, does that mean that He does not see what the serial killer is doing as of the most heinous of sins?

I believe God is very aware of the heinous things serial killers do. But I'm not sure I understand your point in light of what I wrote above. Please explain how it ties in. Thank you.

Quote:
Act 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Again, I don't understand how this text ties in to my comments above. Please explain. Thank you.

Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #108197
02/11/09 08:22 PM
02/11/09 08:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: God did not employ violent force to put down rebellion when He used a Flood to punish sinners. Satan uses force and violence - not God.

T: God used a non-violent, non-forceful flood?

Nothing God does can be perceived as force or violence. He is, after all, God, and “God is love”. Which means the wrath of God is love.

Quote:
M: #4 allows for the fact Jesus didn’t demonstrate everything there is to know about God.

T: #4 says "Jesus Christ revealed all that man can know about God," so what you're writing is clearly false, unless you're somehow distinguishing between "revealed" and "demonstrated."

The phrase “can know” can imply “is capable of comprehending”.

Quote:
M: He only revealed that which man could comprehend at the time, which means there was plenty about God that man could not understand about God.

T: "Jesus Christ revealed all that man can know about God" does not mean "Jesus Christ only revealed that which man could comprehend at the time."

Here’s the actual quote; “All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son.” {8T 286.1} What I’m suggesting is implied here, if not expressively stated.

Quote:
M: Jesus plainly said so. “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.”

T: “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.” does not mean "I have not revealed everything man can know about God."

It certainly can. And I think it does. I realize you don’t, but you haven’t explained what you think it does mean.

Quote:
T: God restores and Satan destroys. Satan is the author of sin and all of its results, which include death and destruction. Death and destruction come as a result of choosing Satan's ways over God's.

M: Are you suggesting evil angels are responsible for causing all the death and destruction recorded throughout the Bible?

T: In the sense that Satan is the author of sin and all its results, yes. One of the purposes of the GC is to reveal that God is not responsible for any evil that happens.

M: What are you labeling as “evil”? Are you suggesting things like the Flood are evil? Are you suggesting Satan is the one who employed the forces of nature to cause the death and destruction related to the Flood? Are you suggesting sin is what caused the forces of nature to destroy the planet and to kill sinners? Are you suggesting God had nothing to do with the Flood? What do you mean when you say Satan is responsible for causing all the death and destruction recorded in the Bible?

T: Anything contrary to God's character, or the principles of His law, the principle of love, is evil. Anything contrary to the principles which Jesus Christ taught and lived is evil.

M: Are you suggesting things like the Flood are evil? Are you suggesting Satan is the one who employed the forces of nature to cause the death and destruction related to the Flood? Are you suggesting sin is what caused the forces of nature to destroy the planet and to kill sinners? Are you suggesting God had nothing to do with the Flood? What do you mean when you say Satan is responsible for causing all the death and destruction recorded in the Bible?

T: I said simply, "In the sense that Satan is the author of sin and all its results, yes. One of the purposes of the GC is to reveal that God is not responsible for any evil that happens." Since Satan is the author of sin and all its results, and since death and destruction are results of sin, it follows that Satan is the author of death and destruction, and thus responsible for it.

M: I do not understand how your answer addresses the following questions:

1. Are you suggesting things like the Flood are evil?
2. Are you suggesting Satan is the one who employed the forces of nature to cause the death and destruction related to the Flood?
3. Or, are you suggesting sin is what caused the forces of nature to destroy the planet and to kill sinners?
4. And, are you suggesting God had nothing to do with the Flood?

T: I said one thing, and you asked questions which as far as I can tell had nothing to do with what I said, so I restated what I said. It doesn't seem to me that I wasn't discussing the things you asked about.

Tom, this volley began with the following two posts (also posted above in context): T: God restores and Satan destroys. Satan is the author of sin and all of its results, which include death and destruction. Death and destruction come as a result of choosing Satan's ways over God's. M: Are you suggesting evil angels are responsible for causing all the death and destruction recorded throughout the Bible?

Throughout the volley above I have been addressing the following comment – “Satan is the author of sin and all of its results, which include death and destruction.” Instead of discussing your comment in nebulous terms I introduced the Flood as a case in point. Since then you have been steering away from my questions related to your original comment. I’m trying to understand how your comment plays out in real world situations like the Flood. So, please, humor me and answer the questions I posted above. Thank you.

Quote:
M: In what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy the world and to kill sinners? Was He “restoring” the world to its former state of righteousness by allowing the Flood to rid the world of sinners?

T: I'm not sure what you mean by "its former state of righteousness," but this was basically what God was doing. Justice in Scripture has to do with restoring the covenant community to shalom. However, the context in which God is described as "restorer" has to do with His restoring those who desire such, as God highly respects free will.

M: Again, in what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy the world and to kill sinners? What did He restore? What was restored when the planet was destroyed and when sinners were killed?

T: It looks to me like you're simply re-asking what you asked above. My answer is right above your questions.

M: I do not understand how your answer addresses the following questions:

1. In what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to destroy the world and to kill sinners?
2. What did He restore?
3. What was restored when the planet was destroyed and when sinners were killed?

T: I think we're at a dead end here. You're asked me questions. I answered the questions. You reasked them. I pointed out I answered them. You're asking them again. Maybe we should skip this point, as it doesn't look like we're getting anywhere. Are you asking these questions because you don't believe God was acting as a restorer in doing these things?

Here is the answer you gave: “I'm not sure what you mean by "its former state of righteousness," but this was basically what God was doing. Justice in Scripture has to do with restoring the covenant community to shalom. However, the context in which God is described as "restorer" has to do with His restoring those who desire such, as God highly respects free will.”

I don’t understand your answer. In light of the 3 enumerated questions posted above please elaborate on your answer to them. Thank you.

Quote:
T: I'm a bit curious here. I have been asserting that I believe God is the restorer. Is it your point of view that this idea is incorrect, and you are citing the Flood as evidence that this idea is incorrect?

M: You and I interpret and apply Ellen’s insight regarding the “restorer” differently. Yes, I totally believe God is a restorer in the sense He is longsuffering and not willing that any should perish unnecessarily. He leaves no stone unturned in His tireless efforts to woo sinners to Jesus, to embrace Him as their personal Friend and Savior. But there is a limit, a threshold beyond which sinners cannot pass and still be savable. When that point is reached, when they fill up the cup of wrath, God is compelled to act.

T: This isn't at all what "restorer" means. What you've written has nothing at all to do with restoration. Restore means "to bring back to or put back into a former or original state."

I agree. But in what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to kill targeted sinners?

Quote:
M: In the Bible such acts are referred to as – “His strange act”. But God is not a destroyer in the same sense Satan is. Listen:

Genesis
6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
6:13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Ezekiel
28:16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.

T: "Satan is the destroyer. The Lord is the restorer." does not mean "God is the destroyer, but not in the same sense as Satan."

The passages posted above clearly teach that there are times when God does indeed destroy. Do these passages imply God is a “destroyer” in the same sense Satan is? No, of course not! Nor do they imply, as you seem to think, that Satan is the one who causes the destruction referred to in these passages.

Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #108201
02/11/09 08:57 PM
02/11/09 08:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
M: The evil angels sought Jesus’ permission. His consent resulted in pigs drowning; otherwise, the pigs would not have died. Jesus is culpable.

T: By the same logic, God is culpable of all evil. Is this what you think?

M: One point at a time, please. Do you agree the pigs were safe until Jesus gave evil angels permission to drown them? Or, do you think the evil angels killed the pigs in violation Jesus’ command not to do so?

T: Ok, since we're doing one point at a time, let's start with the one I raised. If Jesus is culpable for the destruction of the pigs, because He permitted the evil angels to do what they did to the pigs, then, by the same logic, God is culpable for all evil, since no evil occurs except as God gives permission.

M: Let’s back up even further because I still don’t know what you believe about it. Please answer the following question so I can begin to understand your point of view. Were the pigs safe and sound before Jesus gave the evil angels permission to drown them?

T: I was pointing out that by your logic (this is irrespective of my beliefs) if Jesus was culpable for the destruction of the pigs (because He permitted it to happen) then God is culpable for all evil (because He permitted it to happen).

Before I respond to your comment I need to know your answer to the following question – “Were the pigs safe and sound before Jesus gave the evil angels permission to drown them?”

Quote:
T: Regarding Moses and the sabbath-breakers, it appears to me that you and I both agree that your view of what happened in the OT is contrary to what Jesus did during His mission on earth. We differ on how to resolve this apparent (or, it seems you would say, actual) contradiction. What I'm suggesting is that if we see Jesus acting during His mission on earth in a way that we perceive to be different than how God acted in the OT, then our view of what God was doing is likely to be wrong. What you are suggesting, it appears to me, is that if we see a contradiction like this what it means is that Jesus Christ did not reveal all that man can know of God.

M: I agree with your explanation above, however, it does not answer my questions. Unless, of course, you are implying God did not command Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer. Is this what you are saying? If not, then please answer the following questions:

1. Why do you think God commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer?
2. Why did He take the risk of being misunderstood?
3. Why didn’t He take the risk of sharing His true feelings about capital punishment?
4. What would have happened if God had simply told them the truth about capital punishment instead of commanding Moses to kill sinners?

T: If you agree with my explanation, then there's no need for me to answer your questions. My explanation explains this. The point of the explanation is that I don't agree with your whole approach. Rather than coming to the conclusion that your ideas must be mistaken, because they lead to the conclusion that Jesus Christ is not a full and complete revelation of God, that Jesus Christ did not reveal all that God can know about God, that Jesus Christ is not just like the God of the OT, you conclude that Jesus Christ did not reveal all that man can be known about God.

What I'm saying is that if we have an idea, and that idea conflicts with what Jesus Christ revealed (i.e., what He lived and taught) then our idea must be mistaken. Once we are convinced our idea is mistaken, *then* steps can be taken to ascertain as to why. It's the conviction that the idea is mistaken that's the important thing, not the reason why it's mistaken.

I understand you believe we must interpret everything we read about God in the OT in light of everything we read about Jesus in the NT, and if we come across an apparent contradiction between God in the OT and Jesus in the NT we must interpret it in light of the loving and nonviolent behavior Jesus demonstrated in the NT. With this in mind, please demonstrate this method of interpreting the OT by answering the 4 questions I posted above. Thank you.

Quote:
M: Again, you seem to be saying, yes, polygamy is a sin, and yes, God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy contrary to His will.

T: Again, I quoted Ellen White. Here was my main point: The point in mentioning polygamy, divorce and Israel's having their own king was to illustrate that God permits things to happen contrary to His will. Do you agree with this?

M: I do not believe God ever caved in to pressure and permitted sinners to practice sin contrary to His will and law.

T: This is a red herring, since nobody believe God "caved in" to pressure. And I'm sure you know this is a red herring as well, since you are aware that no one here is suggesting that God "caved in to pressure." Let's leave out the red herrings, OK?

M: I did not intend for my question to constitute a red herring. I’m offended by your accusation. Nevertheless, I’ll rephrase the comment and question. I do not believe God ever gave sinners permission to practice things contrary to His law. Do you agree?

T: I didn't say anything about your question being a red herring. I said your statement that you do not believe that God caved in to pressure is a red herring. It is a red herring because nobody believes that God caved into pressure, and you know this to be the case, so there's no reason for you to make this statement.

Tom, please resist the temptation to tell me what I should and shouldn’t post as we discuss various truths. Please simply answer the questions. Here they are again:

1. You seem to be saying, yes, polygamy is a sin, and yes, God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy contrary to His will and law. Is this what you believe? If not, please explain.

2. I believe God has never give sinners permission to practice things contrary to His law. Do you agree? If not, please explain.

Quote:
M: Nevertheless, I’ll rephrase the comment and question. I do not believe God ever gave sinners permission to practice things contrary to His law. Do you agree?

T: Do you mean like saying, "It's OK if you break My law? I don't mind?" Are you suggesting someone thinks this?

No. But do you think God has ever said anything like this? In other words, do you think God told the Jews, “Having a king is a sin, but I’m going to allow you to have one any way. I will even help you select the best kings possible.”

Quote:
M: Are you suggesting God gave the Jews permission to transgress the law when He allowed them to have more than one wife and to have a king?

T: I didn't say anything whatsoever about God's giving permission to transgress the law. I didn't speak of "giving permission" at all. I spoke of God's permitting it. This is what the Scripture says: Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.(Matt. 19:8)

In light of my questions above, do you think it was a sin for the Jews to want and to have a king and more than one wife?

Quote:
M: Or, do you think God permitted the Jews to practice sin contrary to His ideal will and desire for them? If so, why would He do such a thing?

T: Jesus answered this question, which has be cited for you many times: He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.(Matt. 19:8)

M: Are you implying that, yes, God gave them permission to sin because of the hardness of their hearts?

T: Same comment.

Why did God permit them to have a king and more than one wife if having them is a sin?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108204
02/11/09 09:15 PM
02/11/09 09:15 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
GC, Tom believes that God punishes full-cup sinners by withdrawing His protection and permitting one of the following results to play out:

1. God, who must actively prevent the forces of nature from imploding upon itself and killing sinners in the process, is compelled to withdraw His protection and to permit the forces of nature to run its natural course and kill targeted sinners.

2. God commands the holy angels to withdraw their protection and to permit evil angels to cause the death and destruction of targeted sinners and places.

3. God withdraws His protection and permits evil men and empires to cause the death and destruction of targeted sinners and places.

And, on another note, Tom also believes God withdraws His protection and permits evil men and angels to cause the suffering and death of His chosen people.
Tom,

Has Mike summarized your thoughts accurately here?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Green Cochoa] #108208
02/11/09 09:38 PM
02/11/09 09:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom,

Has Mike summarized your thoughts accurately here?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Not exactly. From the SOP I read:

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. (GC 36)

What I have said is that this principle is not limited simply to what Satan does, but also applies to natural disasters, evil that other human beings would to do one another, and even at times to evil that human beings would do to themselves. I believe that sin in general is sufficiently destructive and deadly of itself that God does not need to add to it in order to cause death and destruction to occur.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108217
02/11/09 10:40 PM
02/11/09 10:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: God did not employ violent force to put down rebellion when He used a Flood to punish sinners. Satan uses force and violence - not God.

T: God used a non-violent, non-forceful flood?

M:Nothing God does can be perceived as force or violence. He is, after all, God, and “God is love”. Which means the wrath of God is love.

If you say that God caused death and destruction by means of a Flood, that can certainly be perceived as force or violence.

Quote:
M: #4 allows for the fact Jesus didn’t demonstrate everything there is to know about God.

T: #4 says "Jesus Christ revealed all that man can know about God," so what you're writing is clearly false, unless you're somehow distinguishing between "revealed" and "demonstrated."

M:The phrase “can know” can imply “is capable of comprehending”.

I agree with this point, and agree that the phrase the SOP wrote could be phrased with this language. In other words, one could say

Quote:
All that man needs to know or is capable of comprehending of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (8T 286)

would not materially change what Ellen White wrote.

You are interpreting "man" here as just certain individuals, those to whom Jesus was speaking when He said, "I have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now," which is what I was taking issue with. When she writes "man" I think she means "man" or "mankind" not "a few individuals."

Quote:
Here’s the actual quote; “All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son.” {8T 286.1} What I’m suggesting is implied here, if not expressively stated.

It doesn't look to me like it's implied in the least that Ellen White was wishing her comment to be taken in the very limited way you are suggesting. For example, a bit later from the same testimony she wrote:

Quote:
Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. He was in all things made like unto His brethren. He became flesh, even as we are. He was hungry and thirsty and weary. He was sustained by food and refreshed by sleep. He shared the lot of men, and yet He was the blameless Son of God. He was a stranger and sojourner on the earth--in the world, but not of the world; tempted and tried as men and women today are tempted and tried, yet living a life free from sin.

This looks to me to be speaking of Christ's work for all men, not just a few individuals.

Quote:
M: Jesus plainly said so. “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.”

T: “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.” does not mean "I have not revealed everything man can know about God."

M:It certainly can. And I think it does. I realize you don’t, but you haven’t explained what you think it does mean.

Yes, I have explained what I think it means. I think the meaning is self-evident. There were things Jesus Christ could have told them, but He chose not too, because they weren't ready to here these things. You extrapolate from this that it must follow that Jesus Christ did not fully reveal God's character. I think this is not a valid inference. I think the only thing we can infer is that there were things which Jesus Christ could have told them, but chose not to, because they were not ready to bear them.

Quote:
Tom, this volley began with the following two posts (also posted above in context): T: God restores and Satan destroys. Satan is the author of sin and all of its results, which include death and destruction. Death and destruction come as a result of choosing Satan's ways over God's. M: Are you suggesting evil angels are responsible for causing all the death and destruction recorded throughout the Bible?

Throughout the volley above I have been addressing the following comment – “Satan is the author of sin and all of its results, which include death and destruction.” Instead of discussing your comment in nebulous terms I introduced the Flood as a case in point. Since then you have been steering away from my questions related to your original comment. I’m trying to understand how your comment plays out in real world situations like the Flood. So, please, humor me and answer the questions I posted above. Thank you.

Ok, this is clear. If you had written something like this at first, that would have been clear. Instead when I wrote, "od restores and Satan destroys. Satan is the author of sin and all of its results, which include death and destruction. Death and destruction come as a result of choosing Satan's ways over God's." and you ask me if I'm suggesting certain specific things about the Flood, it doesn't make much sense to me.

In answer to your questions about the Flood, no, I'm not suggesting the things you asked about. What I said does not touch upon the questions you asked, as far as I can tell. I wrote, "Satan is the author of sin and all of its results, which include death and destruction." What I meant by this is that is the author of sin and all its results, meaning he is the creator of these things, or, to state it another way, were it not for Satan, these things would not exist. Since death and destruction are the result of sin, these things would not exist, but for Satan.

Quote:
Here is the answer you gave: “I'm not sure what you mean by "its former state of righteousness," but this was basically what God was doing. Justice in Scripture has to do with restoring the covenant community to shalom. However, the context in which God is described as "restorer" has to do with His restoring those who desire such, as God highly respects free will.”

I don’t understand your answer. In light of the 3 enumerated questions posted above please elaborate on your answer to them. Thank you.

Here's a statement from the SOP:

Quote:
Through disobedience to God, Adam and Eve had lost Eden, and because of sin the whole earth was cursed. But if God's people followed His instruction, their land would be restored to fertility and beauty. God Himself gave them directions in regard to the culture of the soil, and they were to co-operate with Him in its restoration. Thus the whole land, under God's control, would become an object lesson of spiritual truth. As in obedience to His natural laws the earth should produce its treasures, so in obedience to His moral law the hearts of the people were to reflect the attributes of His character. Even the heathen would recognize the superiority of those who served and worshiped the living God.(COL 289)

This speaks of God's work of restoration. God is constantly trying to bring an end to sin, to restore humanity to its state in Eden. The flood was a part of this plan, not as something God intended or desired should happen, but as a necessity in view of the choices man had made.

Quote:
T: This isn't at all what "restorer" means. What you've written has nothing at all to do with restoration. Restore means "to bring back to or put back into a former or original state."

M:I agree. But in what sense was God acting as a “restorer” when He withdrew His protection and permitted the forces of nature to kill targeted sinners?

This isn't something I have said God does (i.e. "kill targeted sinners").

Quote:
M:The passages posted above clearly teach that there are times when God does indeed destroy. Do these passages imply God is a “destroyer” in the same sense Satan is? No, of course not! Nor do they imply, as you seem to think, that Satan is the one who causes the destruction referred to in these passages.

I think the following explains what happens:

Quote:
God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.(GC 36)

The Bible says that "God killed Saul." This is true in the sense that God permitted Saul to be killed (Saul actually killed Himself). In the same sense, God destroys. But God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression, nor as a Destroyer; this is Satan's work (which is why he is called "the Destroyer").

Sin/Satan are destructive; they are destroyers. God is the restorer; He restores. However, His restorative work can result in destruction if one refuses to respond to the principles of love, and chooses death instead. For example:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. (DA 108)

The light of the glory of God, which is the revelation of His character, results in life for the righteous (their restoration) but the death of the wicked (their destruction). Why? Because God works as Restorer for one group of people, but Destroyer to the other? No, but because one group embraces His restorative work, whereas the other rejects it, embracing destruction instead.

In regards to God's destroying differently than Satan, I agree one could characterize things in this way. However, you do not seem to view God as actually doing anything different from Satan when He destroys. For example, their are statements which state that plagues of the end are caused by Satan. You agree that Satan causes some plagues, the ones these statements are referring to, but that God causes other plagues. So you see God and Satan doing the same thing. In fact, you have no way of distinguishing, based on their behavior, whether Satan or God is doing some destructive or deadly act.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108222
02/11/09 11:24 PM
02/11/09 11:24 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: The evil angels sought Jesus’ permission. His consent resulted in pigs drowning; otherwise, the pigs would not have died. Jesus is culpable.

T: By the same logic, God is culpable of all evil. Is this what you think?

M: One point at a time, please. Do you agree the pigs were safe until Jesus gave evil angels permission to drown them? Or, do you think the evil angels killed the pigs in violation Jesus’ command not to do so?

T: Ok, since we're doing one point at a time, let's start with the one I raised. If Jesus is culpable for the destruction of the pigs, because He permitted the evil angels to do what they did to the pigs, then, by the same logic, God is culpable for all evil, since no evil occurs except as God gives permission.

M: Let’s back up even further because I still don’t know what you believe about it. Please answer the following question so I can begin to understand your point of view. Were the pigs safe and sound before Jesus gave the evil angels permission to drown them?

T: I was pointing out that by your logic (this is irrespective of my beliefs) if Jesus was culpable for the destruction of the pigs (because He permitted it to happen) then God is culpable for all evil (because He permitted it to happen).

M:Before I respond to your comment I need to know your answer to the following question – “Were the pigs safe and sound before Jesus gave the evil angels permission to drown them?”

I don't see why. I was just pointing out your statement that Jesus is culpable for death of the pigs, given the logic you used to come to this conclusion implies, by the same logic, that God is responsible for all evil.

Quote:
I understand you believe we must interpret everything we read about God in the OT in light of everything we read about Jesus in the NT, and if we come across an apparent contradiction between God in the OT and Jesus in the NT we must interpret it in light of the loving and nonviolent behavior Jesus demonstrated in the NT. With this in mind, please demonstrate this method of interpreting the OT by answering the 4 questions I posted above. Thank you.

I think the first step would be the conviction that the actions can be explained in some way that has God acting in harmony with how Jesus acted during His earthly mission. I've already explained the general principles I believe are involved in these types of events. I see basically two. One is that God is often presented as doing that which He permits. The second is the principle illustrated by the father/hunter analogy. To put the second in other ways, because of the hardness of people's hearts, God permits things which are contrary to His ideal will. I don't believe God's ideal will is that Sabbath-breakers should be put to death.

Quote:
Tom, please resist the temptation to tell me what I should and shouldn’t post as we discuss various truths.

Please resist the temptation to post red herrings. You know that nobody here believes that God "caved in to pressure and permitted sinners to practice sin contrary to His will and law."

Quote:
Please simply answer the questions. Here they are again:

1. You seem to be saying, yes, polygamy is a sin, and yes, God permitted the Jews to practice polygamy contrary to His will and law. Is this what you believe? If not, please explain.

I believe that polygamy is a sin. I also believe God allowed polygamy to occur.

Quote:
2. I believe God has never give sinners permission to practice things contrary to His law. Do you agree? If not, please explain.

If by giving permission you mean something like God's saying, "I give you permission to break my law," I agree. Breaking God's law results in death, because it involves acting contrary to the principles of the "law of life for the universe," which is self-sacrificing love.

Quote:
M: Nevertheless, I’ll rephrase the comment and question. I do not believe God ever gave sinners permission to practice things contrary to His law. Do you agree?

T: Do you mean like saying, "It's OK if you break My law? I don't mind?" Are you suggesting someone thinks this?

M:No. But do you think God has ever said anything like this? In other words, do you think God told the Jews, “Having a king is a sin, but I’m going to allow you to have one any way. I will even help you select the best kings possible.”

I think God said akin to this:

Quote:
Having a king is contrary to My will, but I’m going to allow you to have one any way. I will even help you select the best kings possible.

Quote:
In light of my questions above, do you think it was a sin for the Jews to want and to have a king and more than one wife?

As I stated, I think the Jews were breaking the first and second commandments. They having having a king an idol, and they were guilty of having a god before God. Had they not been guilty of breaking the first commandment, they would have done God's will.

Regarding having more than one wife, this is adultery, which is a sin.

Quote:
Why did God permit them to have a king and more than one wife if having them is a sin?

For the same reason He allows us to sin. If we insist on having our own way, (generally) God allows us to do what we want.

Page 23 of 100 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!