HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 27 of 100 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #108465
02/16/09 09:04 PM
02/16/09 09:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
But are the propensities of disobedience in the physical, intellectual or spiritual/moral aspect of our nature?

Such inherited propensities affect all aspects of human nature save character. New propensities are created when we cultivate sinful old man habits of sin.

Quote:
Also, what does Ellen White mean when she says that Christ "is a brother in our infirmities, but not possessing like passions. As the sinless One, his nature recoiled from evil" {ST, August 7, 1879 par. 18}?

She means that Jesus did not create new propensities to sin by cultivating sinful habits.

Quote:
M: Sin is not inherited; instead, it is cultivated.

R: Ellen White says that Seth "inherited from the nature of Adam no more natural goodness than did Cain. He was born in sin" {1SP 60.2}.

True, but this insight does not mean we inherit the sinful characters our parents cultivated. Character is not inherited.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #108466
02/16/09 09:07 PM
02/16/09 09:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Arnold, I am reposting the following post for your convenience:

Originally Posted By: asygo
A: Did Jesus have an "old man" (i.e. cultivated sinful traits and habits of character)?

M: No! And neither do believers who are abiding in Jesus, as it is written -

Romans
6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also [in the likeness] of [his] resurrection:
6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

Ephesians
4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Do you agree?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #108470
02/16/09 10:01 PM
02/16/09 10:01 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
True, but this insight does not mean we inherit the sinful characters our parents cultivated. Character is not inherited.

Of course I disagree. When Ellen White says that character is not inherited, she obviously means that a noble, righteous character is not inherited, as the context of these types of quotes makes abundantly clear. We cannot inherit a righteous character from sinful parents.

The traits of character (tendencies) we inherit at birth compose the nucleous of our character; after that it will be developed according to the direction we give to it. That's why Adam was created with a righteous character and we are born with a sinful character.

The human race do not stand in the righteousness of character which Adam possessed at his creation.{ST, June 11, 1894 par. 11}

God made Adam after His own character, pure and upright. {AG 344.3}

God's character was reflected in the character of Adam. {YI, June 2, 1898 par. 2}

God gave our first parents a pure and upright character, in harmony with His law; and had they remained obedient, they would have bequeathed the same character to their posterity. {BEcho, July 29, 1895 par. 2}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #108471
02/16/09 10:55 PM
02/16/09 10:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, is it your view that Christ inherited different tendencies than we inherit? Christ inherited only good or righteous tendencies (if "inherit" is the right word) which I suppose would only have been from the non-Mary part of His DNA?

Also when you say that you disagree with MM's statement that we do not inherit our parent's sinful characters, you believe we can inherit their sinful character? So if they develop a righteous character, we cannot inherit that, but if they develop a sinful character, we can inherit that? Regardless of the character our parents develop, we still inherit a sinful character from them? If this is the case, it doesn't sound like we're inheriting character from them at all; we're inheriting something else, like tendencies.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #108477
02/16/09 11:26 PM
02/16/09 11:26 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Rosangela, is it your view that Christ inherited different tendencies than we inherit? Christ inherited only good or righteous tendencies (if "inherit" is the right word) which I suppose would only have been from the non-Mary part of His DNA?

You seem surprised, as if you didn't know it! smile
Ellen White says clearly that He didn't possess "the propensities of sin." That "not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity." This is in contrast with the posterity of Adam, which "was born with inherent propensities of disobedience."

Quote:
So if they develop a righteous character, we cannot inherit that, but if they develop a sinful character, we can inherit that? Regardless of the character our parents develop, we still inherit a sinful character from them?

Both husband and wife developing a perfectly righteous character? Perhaps this could be possible if both belonged to the 144,000, but I think they won't be having children at that point of the world's history.

Quote:
If this is the case, it doesn't sound like we're inheriting character from them at all; we're inheriting something else, like tendencies.

Traits of character are part of the character. How do you see the quotes I posted?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #108478
02/16/09 11:40 PM
02/16/09 11:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.a.I think it's a mistake to rely on the Baker letter at all. Really, that's a very poor way to approach the issue.
b.I think you've misinterpreted her meaning in the Baker letter.

2.I'm not understanding what you think happened with Christ. Are you thinking that Christ received only tendencies to good things? It sounds like you are saying, "yes," although you didn't explicitly say so. Assuming so, how do you think this happened? Did God filter out any tendencies that would come from Mary? Or is it possible that some tendencies could come from Mary which God allowed, and only filtered out some tendencies? How would it work that Christ didn't get the inherited tendencies that the rest of us get?

3.I'm not understanding your apparent idea that we can inherit character from our parents. This isn't how genetics works. For example, if learn to play the clarinet, I can't pass that ability to my children genetically. This applies to characteristics I've developed, such as being generous or miserly, kind or mean, and such like. Do you believe that science is wrong in how genetics works, or have I misunderstood you here?

4.I saw the statement you provided, but they don't appear to me to be dealing with the issue. This is from S. N. Haskell:

Quote:
Christ is the ladder that Jacob saw, the base resting on the earth, and the topmost round reaching to the gate of heaven, to the very threshold of glory. If that ladder had failed by a single step of reaching by a single step of reaching the earth, we should have been lost. But Christ reaches us where we are. He took our nature and overcame, that we through taking his nature might overcome. Made "in the likeness of sinful flesh," he lived a sinless life. Now by his divinity he lays hold upon the throne of heaven, while by his humanity he reaches us.

This is fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations. He who was as spotless while on earth as when in heaven took our nature, that he might lift man to the exaltation of himself by his righteousness. (RH 10/2/00)

The first paragraph is from the Desire of Ages, which Haskell read aloud, and the second his explanation. It's clear to see how Ellen White was understood on this issue by her contemporaries, and I agree with their understanding.

5. Do you agree with the following?

Quote:
Adam failed in his place, and by the offence of one many were made sinners. Jesus Christ gave Himself, not only for us, but to us, uniting Himself to the family, in order that He might take the place of the first Adam, and as head of the family win back what was lost by the first Adam. The righteousness of Jesus Christ is a representative righteousness, just as the sin of Adam was a representative sin, and Jesus Christ, as the second Adam, gathered to Himself the whole family.

But since the first Adam took his place, there has been a change, and humanity is sinful humanity. The power of righteousness has been lost. To redeem man from the place into which he had fallen, Jesus Christ comes, and takes the very flesh now borne by humanity; He comes in sinful flesh, and takes the case where Adam tried it and failed. He became, not a man, but He became flesh; He became human, and gathered all humanity unto Himself, embraced it in His own infinite mind, and stood as the representative of the whole human family.

Adam was tempted at the very first on the question of appetite. Christ came, and after a forty days' fast the devil tempted Him to use His divine power to feed Himself. And notice, it was in sinful flesh that He was tempted, not the flesh in which Adam fell. This is wondrous truth, but I am wondrous glad that it is so. It follows at once that by birth, by being born into the same family, Jesus Christ is my brother in the flesh, "for which cause He is not ashamed to call them brethren." Heb. 2:11. He has come into the family, identified Himself with the family, is both father of the family and brother of the family. As father of the family, He stands for the family. He came to redeem the family, condemning sin in the flesh, uniting divinity with flesh of sin. Jesus Christ made the connection between God and man, that the divine spirit might rest upon humanity. He made the way for humanity.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #108482
02/17/09 12:16 AM
02/17/09 12:16 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
1.a.I think it's a mistake to rely on the Baker letter at all. Really, that's a very poor way to approach the issue.

I evidently don't share your opinion.

Quote:
2.I'm not understanding what you think happened with Christ. Are you thinking that Christ received only tendencies to good things? It sounds like you are saying, "yes," although you didn't explicitly say so. Assuming so, how do you think this happened? Did God filter out any tendencies that would come from Mary? Or is it possible that some tendencies could come from Mary which God allowed, and only filtered out some tendencies? How would it work that Christ didn't get the inherited tendencies that the rest of us get?

We simply don't know.

Quote:
3.I'm not understanding your apparent idea that we can inherit character from our parents. This isn't how genetics works. For example, if learn to play the clarinet, I can't pass that ability to my children genetically. This applies to characteristics I've developed, such as being generous or miserly, kind or mean, and such like. Do you believe that science is wrong in how genetics works, or have I misunderstood you here?

We've already gone through all this in the past. If only inherited tendencies can be transmitted, how did Adam transmit sinful tendencies to his children?

The mind becomes more and more infatuated, and the power to overcome temptation is destroyed. The tendencies thus cultivated are transmitted to the offspring, as Adam's disobedience was transmitted to the human family. {ST, May 27, 1897 par. 8}

Quote:
4.I saw the statement you provided, but they don't appear to me to be dealing with the issue.

They don't? I think they have everything to do with the subject at hand, especially these two:

The human race do not stand in the righteousness of character which Adam possessed at his creation.{ST, June 11, 1894 par. 11}

God gave our first parents a pure and upright character, in harmony with His law; and had they remained obedient, they would have bequeathed the same character to their posterity. {BEcho, July 29, 1895 par. 2}

Quote:
5. Do you agree with the following?

Yes, for I suppose that here he is using "flesh" as not including "mind," and character has to do with "mind."

If the thoughts are wrong the feelings will be wrong; and the thoughts and feelings combined make up the moral character. {RC 301.2}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #108485
02/17/09 01:11 AM
02/17/09 01:11 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom

I'll speak for myself, but I have a feeling R would agree.

I interpret the Baker letter as making a statement of this form: Adam's posterity was born with X, but Jesus did not have X for one moment.

Do you interpret it differently? Do you see in there some way to make it come out another way?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #108487
02/17/09 02:30 AM
02/17/09 02:30 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:

We simply don't know.

Actually, this is a basic concept when you study child-training in the SOP. Let's look at a quote:
Quote:
The mind becomes more and more infatuated, and the power to overcome temptation is destroyed. The tendencies thus cultivated are transmitted to the offspring, as Adam's disobedience was transmitted to the human family. {ST, May 27, 1897 par. 8}

God didn't really have to "filter out any tendencies." Mary did it by not cultivating the foolishness that most do. How do we know? Because she was honored of heaven in a way that is not common. She was a nice girl.

If she was to pass on the tendencies that the rest of us get, she would have had to be like the mother the rest of us have. She was not. God chose wisely.

Furthermore, Jesus' Father was as holy as one can get. His Father was sinless, never transgressed, never experienced the bondage of sin. As such, His Father was never a slave. And the child's lineage is based on his father.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #108488
02/17/09 02:35 AM
02/17/09 02:35 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Arnold, I am reposting the following post for your convenience:

Originally Posted By: asygo
A: Did Jesus have an "old man" (i.e. cultivated sinful traits and habits of character)?

M: No! And neither do believers who are abiding in Jesus, as it is written -

Romans
6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also [in the likeness] of [his] resurrection:
6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

Ephesians
4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Do you agree?

I agree that the old man is crucified in the believer. But I do not agree that it is nonexistent.

But let's assume that the status of the old man in Jesus is identical to the believer. That means that all of this talk about Jesus being like fallen man should be strictly off-limits to the unconverted, right? IOW, this conversation is of no use in the work of turning sinners to saints; it only counts once one is already a saint.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 27 of 100 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!