HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, daylily, dedication), 3,122 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 30 of 100 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #108543
02/17/09 08:40 PM
02/17/09 08:40 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: asygo
But let's assume that the status of the old man in Jesus is identical to the believer. That means that all of this talk about Jesus being like fallen man should be strictly off-limits to the unconverted, right? IOW, this conversation is of no use in the work of turning sinners to saints; it only counts once one is already a saint.

It depends on what you think the "old man" is.

No, it doesn't. Forget what I think. Let's assume for the sake of discussion that the status of the old man in Jesus is identical to the believer. That's what you are saying, isn't it? Do you believe that the status of the old man in Jesus is identical to the believer?

If you do, then here's my question: Of what use is this discussion to the unbeliever, since it does not apply to him?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #108581
02/18/09 04:59 PM
02/18/09 04:59 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Quote:
Ellen White compares Christ with Adam, and at the same time contrasts Him with Adam's posterity

Not in terms of nature. She never did that. (By the way, you separated things in an awkward spot, making it appear she was contrasting two things she wasn't.)

I don't see what you think was awkward. What I had bolded in the previous post was the comparison Ellen White draws between Christ and Adam. What I bolded in my last post was the contrast Ellen White draws between Adam's posterity and Christ.

The comparisons between Adam and Christ:
Adam was created without any evil propensities ("pure and holy"), but acquired them "through transgressing", while Christ was born without any evil propensities and never acquired them through transgressing - "not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity."

The contrast between Adam's posterity and Christ:
While Adam's posterity "was born with inherent propensities of disobedience," Christ was the only-begotten Son of God, and "not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity."

Quote:
For example, here, if your idea were correct, then what do we make of Haskel's statement that "this is fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations"?

As you said, this is Haskel's statement, not Ellen White's statement.

Quote:
Quote:
Adoptionism, also called dynamic monarchianism, was a minority Christian belief that Jesus was born merely human and that he became divine later in his life. By these accounts, Jesus earned the title Christ through his sinless devotion to the will of God, thereby becoming the perfect sacrifice to redeem humanity. Adoptionists typically portray two key points in Jesus' life as stages in Jesus' theosis: his baptism and his resurrection. They consider God to have given Jesus his miraculous power and divine authority after Jesus proved his holiness.

Baker could have held this view. Ellen White's statements make sense in this context, much more than in the context that she was correcting ideas that Jones, Waggoner, Haskell, and Prescott had.

Up till this moment, I haven't seen any heresy holding that Jeus sinned. Neither that one, nor any other. As I said, someone can't be in his right mind to believe that a Savior sins.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #108584
02/18/09 05:16 PM
02/18/09 05:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It's awkward because it's in the middle of a paragraph, and not correctly identifying what's being contrasted, which I won't list again here because I already did so. The idea that Baker was teaching Adoptionism fits with the Baker letter. It certainly makes a lot more sense than an interpretation that would have her at odds with Haskell.

What should be remembered about what Haskell wrote is that he was working with Ellen White at the time, and his remarks were made publicly, and published in the Review and Herald. Ellen White was certainly aware that Haskell was using "The Desire of Ages" as he was to contradict the Holy Flesh arguments.

In order to hold to your interpretation of the Baker letter, we would have to assume that Ellen White didn't correct Haskell on the same error Baker was making, when in reality EGW would have been much quicker to correct Haskell than Baker, since Haskell was working directly with her, and his work was so public.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #108586
02/18/09 05:38 PM
02/18/09 05:38 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Is it your idea that parent develop character, and this developed character can be passed to children genetically? When you say that character can be inherited, do you have something in mind other than certain tendencies? Are the tendencies which are passed genetically tendencies which the parents already had (having gotten them genetically), or do they include tendencies which they developed? (that they didn't have genetically)

I have doubts about spiritual tendencies being transmitted genetically. This can’t be affirmed as if it was a truth. That there are other means of transmission is clear:

If before the birth of her child she is self-indulgent, if she is selfish, impatient, and exacting, these traits will be reflected in the disposition of the child. Thus many children have received as a birthright almost unconquerable tendencies to evil. But if the mother unswervingly adheres to right principles, if she is temperate and self-denying, if she is kind, gentle, and unselfish, she may give her child these same precious traits of character. {AH 256.1, 2}

Anyway, parents transmit good and bad traits of character (whether inherited or acquired) to their children (as you can see from the quote above). And the traits of character with which the child is born constitute the child’s character.

Quote:
T: Prescott wrote, or said, what Christ did as us without our choice He now wants to do in us with our choice. This was a continuation of the representation concept. Do you agree with this?
R: What does this refer to? Justification and sanctification?
T: He's referring to obedience. Before we obeyed in Christ without our choice (i.e. we were incorporate in Christ), now we are to obey by the power of the Spirit.

Christ’s obedience in our place, when accepted by us, is justification; our obedience through Christ’s power is sanctification. This is how I understand what he and you are saying. Is this correct?

Quote:
Sinful tendencies can be transmitted to the mind by influence. Do you mean that sinful tendencies are transferred genetically to the mind? If so, I can see why you would reject the idea that Christ's genetic inheritance was the same as ours.

Sinful tendencies are transmitted to the child’s mind before birth (whether genetically or not), as you can see from AH 256.1, 2, quoted above.

The parents give the stamp of character to their children. Therefore children that are born of these parents inherit from them qualities of mind which are of a low, base order. {RH, September 26, 1899 par. 4}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #108587
02/18/09 06:28 PM
02/18/09 06:28 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
OK, Mike, I focused on the most important aspect of your post, but I’ll reply to the two other ones.

Quote:
Such inherited propensities affect all aspects of human nature save character.

What I believe is the opposite. My sinful propensities can affect, to a lesser degree, my body and my intellectual ability, but they affect mainly my character. The character is just the thoughts and feelings combined. A propensity to be, for instance, generous or miserly, is nothing but the way my thoughts work - the way I think about life and about my priorities.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, what does Ellen White mean when she says that Christ "is a brother in our infirmities, but not possessing like passions. As the sinless One, his nature recoiled from evil" {ST, August 7, 1879 par. 18}?

She means that Jesus did not create new propensities to sin by cultivating sinful habits.

I also believe the opposite. Of course she refers not to His physical passions, which were similar to ours, but to sinful passions, or sinful propensities, which, by definition, can be both inherited and cultivated. What is your basis for limiting the word to just cultivated propensities? She of course refers to both.

After he has made this great sacrifice for us, should we deem any sacrifice too great to keep our passions, our inherited and cultivated tendencies to wrong, under control? {YI, May 10, 1900 par. 3}

Quote:
In the English language there is a difference between inheriting uncultivated traits of character and cultivating them. An uncultivated trait is like a blank DVD, whereas a cultivated trait is like writing files to the DVD. Is this difference clear in the Portuguese language?

I think an uncultivated trait is like a file in a DVD, whereas a cultivated trait is like playing the DVD. But if the content of the files is bad, can the DVD be considered good, even if you don’t play it? In the same way, if you have evil traits in your character, can your character be considered good, righteous, holy?

Many of them have inherited evil traits of character... {AH 167.3}

Those children transmit their own perversity of character as an inheritance to their offspring... {CG 231.4}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #108588
02/18/09 07:16 PM
02/18/09 07:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I have doubts about spiritual tendencies being transmitted genetically. This can’t be affirmed as if it was a truth. That there are other means of transmission is clear:

I agree. That there are other means is a point I've often made.

Quote:
Anyway, parents transmit good and bad traits of character (whether inherited or acquired) to their children (as you can see from the quote above). And the traits of character with which the child is born constitute the child’s character.

Yes, and it is clear that Christ had a godly mother, who did not transmit these bad traits to Christ. However, the genetic question is another issue. In terms of inclinations passed genetically, Christ received the same inclinations anyone else does. This was a point made repeatedly by Jones, and Haskell echoed the same thought. I think this is actually where the chief difference of opinion lies. Postlapsarians believe that Christ received the same inclinations we receive genetically, overcame the temptations which arise from that, preparing the way for the rest of humanity to likewise overcome by faith. Prelapsarians believe that there are inclinations passed genetically which Christ did not have, which would be quite a lot, any of the inclinations we have towards something negative.

Quote:
Christ’s obedience in our place, when accepted by us, is justification; our obedience through Christ’s power is sanctification. This is how I understand what he and you are saying. Is this correct?

When he speaks of Christ's preparing the way by uniting flesh of sin with divinity, his idea looks to be that Christ's obedience made our obedience possible, and since we have sinful flesh, Christ also had to have sinful flesh to make that possible.

Quote:
Sinful tendencies are transmitted to the child’s mind before birth (whether genetically or not), as you can see from AH 256.1, 2, quoted above.

Non-genetic transference wouldn't create any difference of opinion between pre and postlapsarians. So if you're not asserting here that certain tendencies were not transfered genetically to Christ that are transferred to the rest of us, we're not disagreeing here.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #108597
02/18/09 08:58 PM
02/18/09 08:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
A: But let's assume that the status of the old man in Jesus is identical to the believer. That means that all of this talk about Jesus being like fallen man should be strictly off-limits to the unconverted, right? IOW, this conversation is of no use in the work of turning sinners to saints; it only counts once one is already a saint.

M: It depends on what you think the "old man" is.

A: No, it doesn't. Forget what I think. Let's assume for the sake of discussion that the status of the old man in Jesus is identical to the believer. That's what you are saying, isn't it? Do you believe that the status of the old man in Jesus is identical to the believer?

Arnold, earlier you wrote, "I agree that the old man is crucified in the believer. But I do not agree that it is nonexistent." To which I responded, "If you agree with me that the old man is the sinful habits people crucify when they're born again, then, yes, this same crucified status in Jesus would indicate that He is an example of what it means to be saved rather than an example of what it means to be lost. Do you think Jesus was born in the likeness of an unconverted man or in the likeness of a converted man?”

You asked, “Do you believe that the status of the old man in Jesus is identical to the believer?” No, it’s not identical in the sense He first cultivated sinful habits and then crucified them when He was born again. Jesus was born bearing the burden of our sins in His sinful flesh.

How do our cultivated habits become a part of sinful flesh? Well, here’s how I understand the process. Everyone inherits the traits common to mankind. The traits we inherit are neutral in that they do not war against us or clamor for sinful expression. Traits are a faculty of the mind (as opposed to a faculty of the body).

Examples of traits include virtue, honesty, patience, love, faith, perseverance, kindness, goodness, etc. They are qualities or tools that enable us to cultivate character. Sinful habits are perversions of these traits. The “old man” is these perverted habits. The cultivation of sinful habits strengthens the corresponding tendencies in the flesh, which are passed on from generation to generation in the form of fortified tendencies or propensities.

“Sinful flesh” is these tendencies. It is a faculty of the body and works continually from within tempting us to express and experience our innocent and legitimate needs (our appetites and passions) in sinful ways. Sinful flesh cannot actually commit a sin; but it can and does generate and communicate to our conscious mind tempting thoughts and feelings. Every time we indulge the desires of our sinful flesh, we cultivate the corresponding character traits, thus strengthening the propensities of our “old man”.

Of what use is this discussion to the unbeliever, since it does not apply to him?

It very much applies to unbelievers in the sense it inspires them to hope and believe they can be delivered “from this body of death.” They are in bondage to the “old man” and Jesus is offering to set them free. They can begin life anew, a life patterned after the godly example of Jesus. Paul explains it t his way:

Quote:
Romans
6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also [in the likeness] of [his] resurrection:
6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

PS - Do you think Jesus was born in the likeness of an unconverted man or in the likeness of a converted man?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #108604
02/18/09 10:15 PM
02/18/09 10:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
R: The traits of character (tendencies) we inherit at birth compose the nucleous of our character; after that it will be developed according to the direction we give to it.

M: I agree that people are born with traits of character; but I disagree they are born with character. Ellen makes it clear that character is the result of repetitious choices and actions. Listen:

Quote:
If the thoughts are wrong the feelings will be wrong, and the thoughts and feelings combined make up the moral character. (5T 310) The ideal of Christian character is Christlikeness. As the Son of man was perfect in His life, so His followers are to be perfect in their life. (FLB 44)

A change will be seen in the character, the habits, the pursuits. The contrast will be clear and decided between what they have been and what they are. The character is revealed, not by occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds, but by the tendency of the habitual words and acts. (SC 57)

Any one act, either good or evil, does not form the character; but thoughts and feelings indulged prepare the way for acts and deeds of the same kind. It is . . . by a repetition of acts that habits are established and character confirmed. (CG 199)

It is not through one act that the character is formed, but by a repetition of acts that habits are established and character confirmed. (ST 4-30-1894)

Character does not come by chance. It is not determined by one outburst of temper, one step in the wrong direction. It is the repetition of the act that causes it to become habit, and molds the character either for good or for evil. (CG 164)

A well-balanced character is formed by single acts well performed. One defect, cultivated instead of being overcome, makes the man imperfect, and closes against him the gate of the Holy City. (FLB 44)

Mental ability and genius are not character, for these are often possessed by those who have the very opposite of a good character. Reputation is not character. True character is a quality of the soul, revealing itself in the conduct. (CG 161)

A noble character is earned by individual effort through the merits and grace of Christ. God gives the talents, the powers of the mind; we form the character. It is formed by hard, stern battles with self. Conflict after conflict must be waged against hereditary tendencies. (COL 331)

Originally Posted By: Rosangela
My sinful propensities can affect, to a lesser degree, my body and my intellectual ability, but they affect mainly my character. The character is just the thoughts and feelings combined. A propensity to be, for instance, generous or miserly, is nothing but the way my thoughts work - the way I think about life and about my priorities.

In the passages I posted above, Ellen makes it clear that character is a quality of the soul and is revealed in the habitual thoughts, feelings, words, and actions. She doesn’t limit it to thoughts and feelings. Character is the result of the repetitious choices we make and the habits we form. Obviously it cannot be inherited. New forms of propensities are created in the process of cultivating character traits. These new propensities, together with the ones inherited at birth, war against unbelievers and tempt them from within to fulfill their needs in sinful ways.

The way our “thoughts work”, as you put it above, depends on many factors, some of which are inherited, others of which are cultivated. Inherited tendencies (i.e. inclinations, propensities) do not constitute character, nor are they a faculty of the mind or the “higher powers” (i.e. reason, intellect, and conscience). Instead, they are a faculty of the body and work through the “lower powers” (i.e. appetites and passions) to tempt believers and unbelievers alike from within to express and experience their innocent and legitimate physical, emotional, and spiritual needs in sinful ways.

Character is the result of the way people repeatedly react and respond to the many temptations bombarding them from within and from without. As certain character traits are confirmed and solidified, the way people will react and respond under similar circumstances is predictable and becomes spontaneous. Such character traits are well nigh impossible to change or alter, which is bad news in cases involving sinful character traits, but it is good news in cases involving sinless character traits.

Quote:
M: An uncultivated trait is like a blank DVD, whereas a cultivated trait is like writing files to the DVD.

R: I think an uncultivated trait is like a file in a DVD, whereas a cultivated trait is like playing the DVD. But if the content of the files is bad, can the DVD be considered good, even if you don’t play it? In the same way, if you have evil traits in your character, can your character be considered good, righteous, holy?

I discussed the DVD example with my wife and she didn't like it as much as comparing it to inheriting tools and materials (traits) and then building something with them (character). The tools and materials we inherit are neutral – neither sinful nor sinless. They are, however, depleted in comparison to what A&E were created with. But when we cooperate with heaven in the cultivation of character, using the tools and materials we inherited at birth, the resulting righteousness is “godliness and true holiness”, without fault and blameless in the sight of God. Listen:

"The leaven hidden in the flour works invisibly to bring the whole mass under its leavening process; so the leaven of truth works secretly, silently, steadily, to transform the soul. The natural inclinations are softened and subdued. New thoughts, new feelings, new motives, are implanted. A new standard of character is set up; the life of Christ. The mind is changed; the faculties are roused to action in new lines. Man is not endowed with new faculties, but the faculties he has are sanctified. The conscience is awakened. We are endowed with traits of character that enable us to do service for God. (COL 98)

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #108609
02/18/09 11:30 PM
02/18/09 11:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, do you agree with Haskel, when he said "this is fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations"? (speaking of Christ's taking our fallen nature; quote's from memory. I quoted it several times on this thread already, so the actually quote can be easily found, but this is idea).

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #108638
02/19/09 07:23 PM
02/19/09 07:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, yes, I believe Jesus took upon Himself the same fallen human inclinations we inherit at birth. And, by cooperating with heavenly agencies, He was able to use His fallen human faculties of mind and body to cultivate sinless character traits. The same experience is available to all who imitate His example.

Page 30 of 100 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!