HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 3,435 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 39 of 100 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #108988
02/25/09 11:00 PM
02/25/09 11:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Let's consider this aspect.

Jesus had no evil propensities. It seems we're all agreed on that (at least the current participants).

Yes. I've seen an EGW reference that said He had evil tendencies, but not evil propensities. Of course it's talking about His assumed human nature.

Quote:
Did Adam have evil propensities BEFORE he fell? Did Adam have evil propensities AFTER he fell?

My answers have always been No and Yes to these two questions. And when comparing Jesus in this respect, He was like Adam before he fell.

Agreed, and for the same reason, which is that Adam, before he fell, had not sinned, and Jesus never did.

Quote:
So, if we're talking "human nature" in a sense that includes our propensities - IOW, our moral faculties - Jesus was like the pre-lapse Adam.

If you mean to say that Christ had no evil propensities because He didn't sin, agreed. In regards to "moral faculties" I'd very likely agree with this too, but I'd like to have that defined to know for sure.

Quote:
Doesn't this make sense? And this is in full harmony with the plain reading of the Baker Letter.

Yes, as I understand what you wrote, it makes sense, and agrees with the Baker letter. It look like Baker was teaching that Christ had evil propensities, and that Christ yielded to temptation, given EGW's several admonitions to Baker explaining this wasn't the case.

It also looks like Baker was teaching something funny in regards to Christ's incarnation, based on her comments there, such as the exact time when humanity blended with divinity we don't know. There's quite a few head-scratching comments she makes; head-scratching from the point of view that one wonders what Baker was teaching which would cause her to respond how she did. Adoptionism looks possible.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #108998
02/26/09 12:32 AM
02/26/09 12:32 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
I've seen an EGW reference that said He had evil tendencies, but not evil propensities. Of course it's talking about His assumed human nature.

???
What quote are you speaking about?
It's clear that evil tendencies, evil propensities, and evil traits of character are all one and the same thing.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109001
02/26/09 12:46 AM
02/26/09 12:46 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
If so, that would mean that my sin causes a physical mutation in my cells such that I can pass it on to my progeny.

Why?

Quote:
Anything short of that would be a non-genetic mode of inheritance.

Why?

Because genetic theory is founded on the concept of physical changes being passed on to offspring through the DNA. Characteristics that are not physical (e.g. aspects of mind that are no in the brain, conversion of the spiritual nature, etc.) are beyond the scope of genetics. It would be called pseudo-science by geneticists.

So, if whatever you are talking about does not cause physical changes that are replicated through the process of reproduction, it's not genetic.

Anyway, I doubt that EGW, Haskell, Jones, etc. had genetic theory in mind when they preached. I think people just try to come up with some kind of scientific explanation for whatever reason. But I don't see why, since any "real" scientist will tell you that spiritual matters, though they may be real, are beyond the scope of science.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #109002
02/26/09 02:10 AM
02/26/09 02:10 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I need to have a bit of self-control and stop reading these. I have a sermon to prepare for this weekend. See you guys next week. Discuss among yourselves....

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #109003
02/26/09 03:17 AM
02/26/09 03:17 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
???
What quote are you speaking about?
It's clear that evil tendencies, evil propensities, and evil traits of character are all one and the same thing.

I'll see if I can find it. Found it! (I think)

Quote:
And when the fullness of time was come, He stepped down from His throne of highest command, laid aside His royal robe and kingly crown, clothed His divinity with humanity, and came to this earth to exemplify what humanity must do and be in order to overcome the enemy and to sit with the Father upon His throne. Coming as He did, as a man, to meet and be subject to with all the evil tendencies to which man is heir, working in every conceivable manner to destroy His faith, He made it possible for Himself to be buffeted by human agencies inspired by Satan, the rebel who had been expelled from heaven. (Letter 303, 1903)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109004
02/26/09 03:21 AM
02/26/09 03:21 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #109001, I think the statement that "this if fallen humanity, with all its hereditary inclinations" is clear to anybody, whether scientist or not. Surely Haskel was speaking of the law of heredity, the same as Ellen White in DA 49, which is referring to inclinations which are passed genetically. I don't understand where there is ground for confusion here.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109010
02/26/09 01:47 PM
02/26/09 01:47 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
And when the fullness of time was come, He stepped down from His throne of highest command, laid aside His royal robe and kingly crown, clothed His divinity with humanity, and came to this earth to exemplify what humanity must do and be in order to overcome the enemy and to sit with the Father upon His throne. Coming as He did, as a man, to meet and be subject to with* all the evil tendencies to which man is heir, working in every conceivable manner to destroy His faith, He made it possible for Himself to be buffeted by human agencies inspired by Satan, the rebel who had been expelled from heaven. (Letter 303, 1903)
* should evidently be edited out

The more reasonable interpretation of this passage is that the evil tendencies are external to Christ in the Satan-inspired people who will oppose, buffet and oppress Him. The meaning would be similar to that of the passage below:

And now, thousands of years later, the fulness of time came for the infinite sacrifice to be made. Divinity was to be communicated to humanity through a divine-human Saviour. The great Life-giver was to purchase the whole world by giving his own life as a ransom. Christ came, but not in the brightness of his divine glory. He laid aside his royal robe and kingly crown, clothed his divinity with humanity, and came to live upon the earth as a man among men. ... He came to meet humanity in its most sinful and corrupt form. Thus divine love was manifested toward erring mortals. {RH, September 13, 1906 par. 4, 5}

Propensities, inclinations, tendencies and traits of character are all synonyms.

Strenuous, flesh-wearing toil may counteract and subdue their evil propensities, and others will not be leavened by their harmful tendencies and traits of character. {TM 403.1}

The question is asked, Why then are all not drawn to Christ?--It is because they will not come; because they do not choose to die to self; because they wish, as did Judas, to retain their own individuality, their own natural and cultivated traits of character. Altho they are given every opportunity, every privilege, yet they will not give up those tendencies which, if not cut away from the character, will separate them from Christ. If, continuing to cherish these traits of character, they were admitted to heaven, they would cause a second rebellion. {ST, July 8, 1897 par. 7}

Each soul inherits certain un-Christlike traits of character. It is the grand and noble work of a lifetime to keep under control these tendencies to wrong. It is the little things that cross our path that are likely to cause us to lose our power of self-control. {HP 231.2}

Every day hereditary tendencies to wrong will strive for the mastery. Every day you are to war against your objectionable traits of character, until there are left in you none of those things which need to be separated from you. {6MR 84.3}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109014
02/26/09 02:39 PM
02/26/09 02:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
No, it's not the only reasonable interpretation. There's a better, easier one, which doesn't necessitate striking out words.

She used the word "evil" here in the sense of "sinful," and these tendencies are the same genetic tendencies which we all have. This would fit with her other statements about Christ's taking our nature and following the law of heredity. It also agrees with Haskell's understanding of her writings, that Christ took fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations.

Note the phrase says "to which man is heir," which is speaking of heredity.

Something to bear in mind is that it's extremely unlikely that Haskell was incorrect in his assertion that the DA passage did not mean that Christ took fallen humanity with all its inclinations in the mind of Ellen White. This is because it virtually impossible that Ellen White would not have nipped this misunderstanding in the bud, had their been one. She was working with Haskell on the Holy Flesh issue at the time, and was against meeting error with unsound arguments. Nor is the idea credible that she would knowingly allow a prominent worker to so crudely misrepresent her.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109018
02/26/09 03:25 PM
02/26/09 03:25 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,
1- I didn't say "the only reasonable," but "the more reasonable."

2- "to with" does not make any sense at all. Once she was adding words to the passage, she evidently forgot to cross out the word "with."

3- If she was saying that Christ had evil tendencies, she would be contradicting herself, for she said He didn't have evil propensities. "Tendencies" and "propensities" are evidently synonyms.

4- I responded to the point about Haskell & others in my post #108862.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109019
02/26/09 05:06 PM
02/26/09 05:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1. Sorry about the misquote.
2. Or she could have forgotten a comma.
3. Tendencies is neutral (can be used for either good or bad things) but propensities isn't (at least by EGW; only for bad things), so these terms are not completely interchangeable.
4. Here's the Haskell response:

Quote:
Ellen White disagreed doctrinally with many public figures, about many other subjects – the shut door, the personality of the Holy Spirit, Christ’s eternity, etc. However, in most cases she never corrected their views directly. She limited herself to writing about the subject in her books or articles.

One interesting case was Butler’s articles in the Review about degrees of inspiration (written in 1884). She never corrected Butler, but mentioned, 5 years later, to R. A. Underwood, that the view expressed in those articles was wrong (See 1SM 23.1).

I think you, and others here, are really missing the import of what happened with Haskell. It's not simply that Haskell made a wrong comment on some unimportant issue, like you're mentioning with Underwood here. This is really an inadequate response, as

1.Degrees of inspiration is a mote in importance compared to the beam of the humanity of Christ, a subject which she described as "everything to us." Jones, whom she endorsed, said our salvation consisted in the very thing. Prescott, whom she also endorsed, on this specific subject, made similar comments (in the specific sermon EGW endorsed).

So, sure, she could choose not to publicly comment on an insignificant issue like the one you're discussing, but this is hardly an explanation as to why she wouldn't comment about errors relating to Christ's humanity.

2.This isn't taking into account the she was working with Haskell on the time in regards to this issue. Haskell was in regular correspondence with her, on this very topic. She had ample opportunity to correct him privately.

3.This isn't taking into account her attitude towards using unsound arguments. She counseled that our arguments should be sound, not leaving our opponents anything to find fault with.

4.This isn't taking into account that, in addition to Haskell, Waggoner, Jones, and Prescott were all working publicly for months along the same lines, in our most visible published works, and most public venues. It wasn't an isolated incident, but the same supposedly wrong idea, being used as a spearhead to meet a heresy, and used over and over and over again.

5.This isn't taking into account that Haskell was not simply offering an opinion of his own, but was publicly stating what *Ellen White's* thinking was. It's hard to imagine her not keeping silent on so vital a subject when words would be being put in her mouth.

Page 39 of 100 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!