HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,401 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 27 of 36 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #108598
02/18/09 09:05 PM
02/18/09 09:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: Inspiration supports the first "I believe," but not the other two. At least, DA 764 says clearly that the cross secured the universe, making very clear that before the cross the universe was not secured, but after the cross it was. If the cross already secured it, then it cannot hinge on something yet future.

M:Through faith the unfallen beings have been secure in the truth about God’s character and kingdom from the moment Jesus announced the plan of salvation. I realize you believe they were living in a state of fear and doubt and disbelief until the instant Jesus literally died on the cross, but I totally disagree with you.

Please quit doing this!! The "I realize" sentence is totally unwarranted. I've never said anything remotely like this. To borrow from you (i.e. please, please please): Please, please, please quote things I've actually said. It's unpleasant to see these unqualified gross misrepresentations of what I've said.

Back to the point at hand. From the SOP:

Quote:
Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure. (DA 764)

Quote:
Oh, that’s right, now I remember you explaining this awhile ago. I don’t remember, though, how you know it to be true. Did you read it in the SOP? That is, where did you read all the different ways the future could play out involve the 144,000 succeeding?

Both Scripture and the SOP prophesy regarding end time events. There are certain details which would be different (e.g., the world now is very different than it was in the 19th century), but certain principles which remain true regardless of when Christ comes, and these principles have been prophesied and explained for us.

Quote:
M: Of course we both know my view isn’t wrong because it is confirmed through the SOP. Agreeing with you that the Bible doesn’t portray the law as saying anything about life and death isn’t the same thing as saying I don’t believe the law requires God to execute the death penalty in consequence of sin.

T: Ok, so your idea is that this isn't in the law itself, or in Scripture, but Ellen White had this idea, and it's true because she had the idea, although it's not in the law itself, nor in Scripture?

M:Not necessarily. Help me out here. Where in the Bible did God clearly explain the following insights:

Not necessarily why? Certainly it's not necessary to answer the question you've asked to explain whether or not I've explained your idea correctly.

Quote:
Is it possible God did not share all of the details expressed above with those whose writings make up the Bible? If so, does it mean they are less inspired, less authoritative?

You've got kind of hodge-podge of quotes there, a little from one place, a litte from another. You're asking where in the Bible were certain ideas explained. Are you saying that if it doesn't explain all of the ideas expressed by Ellen White, then it does not explain the subject as clearly as she did?

I'm curious if you would extend your view regarding her explanations to other subjects as well. For example, justification by faith. Would you say as well that neither Paul nor Jesus Christ, nor any other Scripture writer clearly explained justification by faith?

Quote:
Which one of the passages above inspires you to believe regularly eating of the tree of life would *not* have resulted immortal sinners? You may be tempted to disregard these passages and post other quotes which you believe contradict them, but please, show me how the passages above refute the idea sinners could live forever if allowed regular access to the tree of life. Or, do you agree with me that they do indeed clearly say sinners could live forever? Tom, I am afraid you are going to disregard showing me from the passages above how my conclusions are dead wrong. Please, Tom, please use these passages to disprove my view.

There's no reason for me to do so. It would be like me asking you to show me what death is not the inevitable result of sin based on the following passage:

Quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.(DA 764)

I find your idea regarding the tree of life to be very simplistic. Life comes from God, not from a tree. There's meaning behind what was happening, and it seems to me that you're missing the meaning and instead latching onto only the physical elements involved. It's like when Jesus said, "Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees" and the disciples responded, "It is because we brought no bread."

(More later; also, I'll get to the post I skipped)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #108599
02/18/09 09:20 PM
02/18/09 09:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Again, I agree the death of Jesus is an integral part of the gospel, however, the point I am making is that it isn’t clearly spelled out in the Bible, that is, nowhere in the Bible does it plainly say, “The death of Jesus is an integral part of the gospel.” Yes, it is implied, but it is not clearly spelled out.

Sure it's clearly spelled out. John 3, where Jesus explained the Gospel is probably the clearest place. Ellen White wrote:

Quote:
In the interview with Nicodemus, Jesus unfolded the plan of salvation, and His mission to the world. In none of His subsequent discourses did He explain so fully, step by step, the work necessary to be done in the hearts of all who would inherit the kingdom of heaven. (DA 176)

Quote:
As you can see, the gospel is many things – it is the truth as it is in Jesus.

Sure, we can see this from Scripture. For example, the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation for all who believe. However, without Christ crucified, there is no Gospel.

Quote:
Here are your three points:

1.Paul says that the Gospel is Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
2.Paul says that the Gospel was preached to Abraham, and this is recorded in Moses.
3.Therefore Moses preached Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

As you can see, you didn’t quite quote point number two accurately. As I said before, yes, Paul said the gospel was preached unto Abraham, and, no, Moses didn’t say it, that is, Moses didn’t say the gospel was preached unto Abraham.

The "this" which is recorded by Moses is the Gospel. My point was not that Moses said the Gospel was preached to Abraham, but that Moses recorded the Gospel which was preached to Abraham.

Quote:
Moses simply wrote, “In thee shall all nations be blessed.” That’s it. He didn’t say anything about the gospel. It was Paul who made the connection, who recorded it.

You're not understanding what Moses wrote. The Gospel is there, MM. You're reminding me of 2 Cor. 3

Quote:
13And not as Moses, which put a veil over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:

14But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

16Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

Looking back at Nicodemus, we see the same thing. Nicodemus did not understand the Gospel, but that doesn't mean it wasn't in Moses. Christ used Moses to explain the meaning of His death to Nicodemus. If you read EGW's explanation, you'll see that Nicodemus "got it" on the basis of what Moses wrote!

Quote:
No, it was Paul who said the gospel was preached unto Abraham, not Moses.

You misunderstood the point. Moses recorded the gospel which Paul said was preached to Abraham. The point is not that Moses said the Gospel was preached to Abraham, but that the Gospel was preached to Abraham.

(more later)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #108635
02/19/09 06:39 PM
02/19/09 06:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: Inspiration supports the first "I believe," but not the other two. At least, DA 764 says clearly that the cross secured the universe, making very clear that before the cross the universe was not secured, but after the cross it was. If the cross already secured it, then it cannot hinge on something yet future.

M: Through faith the unfallen beings have been secure in the truth about God’s character and kingdom from the moment Jesus announced the plan of salvation. I realize you believe they were living in a state of fear and doubt and disbelief until the instant Jesus literally died on the cross, but I totally disagree with you.

T: Please quit doing this!! The "I realize" sentence is totally unwarranted. I've never said anything remotely like this. To borrow from you (i.e. please, please please): Please, please, please quote things I've actually said. It's unpleasant to see these unqualified gross misrepresentations of what I've said.

Back to the point at hand. From the SOP: “Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure. (DA 764)

Tom, I did not think that I was grossly misrepresenting your view. I’m sorry it offended you. Actually, I’m glad to learn you not only disagree with it, but you hotly hate it. However, please explain how your view differs from the view I shared above, namely, “Through faith the unfallen beings have been secure in the truth about God’s character and kingdom from the moment Jesus announced the plan of salvation.”

When you argue that the angels were not secure until the cross it makes me wonder if you believe they were not secure before the cross. In what sense were they not secure, and how did it affect them? Also, in what way did things change for them after the cross?

Quote:
M: Oh, that’s right, now I remember you explaining this awhile ago. I don’t remember, though, how you know it to be true. Did you read it in the SOP? That is, where did you read all the different ways the future could play out involve the 144,000 succeeding?

T: Both Scripture and the SOP prophesy regarding end time events. There are certain details which would be different (e.g., the world now is very different than it was in the 19th century), but certain principles which remain true regardless of when Christ comes, and these principles have been prophesied and explained for us.

I hear you saying that since the prophesies describe the 144,000 succeeding it is proof that no matter which way it actually ends up playing out, in the end the 144,000 will succeed. If this is what you’re saying, it makes me wonder why you believe the prophecies that described Jesus succeeding must be interpreted to mean God did not know for certain if Jesus would fail or succeed. How do those prophecies differ from the ones concerning the 144,000?

Quote:
M: Of course we both know my view isn’t wrong because it is confirmed through the SOP. Agreeing with you that the Bible doesn’t portray the law as saying anything about life and death isn’t the same thing as saying I don’t believe the law requires God to execute the death penalty in consequence of sin.

T: Ok, so your idea is that this isn't in the law itself, or in Scripture, but Ellen White had this idea, and it's true because she had the idea, although it's not in the law itself, nor in Scripture?

M: Not necessarily. Help me out here. Where in the Bible did God clearly explain the following insights:

T: Not necessarily why? Certainly it's not necessary to answer the question you've asked to explain whether or not I've explained your idea correctly.

M: Is it possible God did not share all of the details expressed above with those whose writings make up the Bible? If so, does it mean they are less inspired, less authoritative?

T: You've got kind of hodge-podge of quotes there, a little from one place, a litte from another. You're asking where in the Bible were certain ideas explained. Are you saying that if it doesn't explain all of the ideas expressed by Ellen White, then it does not explain the subject as clearly as she did?

I'm curious if you would extend your view regarding her explanations to other subjects as well. For example, justification by faith. Would you say as well that neither Paul nor Jesus Christ, nor any other Scripture writer clearly explained justification by faith?

What happened to the quotes I posted? Did they get lost in cyberspace? Can you summarize what she said about the law and why Jesus had to die? Do you believe the same insights are as clearly articulated in the Bible? If not, why do you think God shared them with the Remnant Church? To what purpose? If so, why, then, do you think God shared them through the gift and calling of Ellen? To what purpose?

Quote:
M: Which one of the passages above inspires you to believe regularly eating of the tree of life would *not* have resulted immortal sinners? You may be tempted to disregard these passages and post other quotes which you believe contradict them, but please, show me how the passages above refute the idea sinners could live forever if allowed regular access to the tree of life. Or, do you agree with me that they do indeed clearly say sinners could live forever? Tom, I am afraid you are going to disregard showing me from the passages above how my conclusions are dead wrong. Please, Tom, please use these passages to disprove my view.

T: There's no reason for me to do so. It would be like me asking you to show me what death is not the inevitable result of sin based on the following passage: “At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.(DA 764)

I find your idea regarding the tree of life to be very simplistic. Life comes from God, not from a tree. There's meaning behind what was happening, and it seems to me that you're missing the meaning and instead latching onto only the physical elements involved. It's like when Jesus said, "Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees" and the disciples responded, "It is because we brought no bread."

Bummer, oh well, I knew you were going to blow me off, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to ask, to beg, at least it doesn’t hurt too much. It’s very disappointing to be dismissed and disregarded. It feels like persecution. But in your non-answer I am beginning to believe you really do not believe sinners would live forever if God allowed them unlimited access to the tree of life. How you can come to this conclusion in light of what the Bible and SOP said about it is not clear to me. Can you at least explain to me why it doesn’t mean what it says, why it means the opposite of what it says?

Quote:
T: More later; also, I'll get to the post I skipped.

Okay, thank you.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #108637
02/19/09 07:09 PM
02/19/09 07:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Again, I agree the death of Jesus is an integral part of the gospel, however, the point I am making is that it isn’t clearly spelled out in the Bible, that is, nowhere in the Bible does it plainly say, “The death of Jesus is an integral part of the gospel.” Yes, it is implied, but it is not clearly spelled out.

T: Sure it's clearly spelled out. John 3, where Jesus explained the Gospel is probably the clearest place. Ellen White wrote: “In the interview with Nicodemus, Jesus unfolded the plan of salvation, and His mission to the world. In none of His subsequent discourses did He explain so fully, step by step, the work necessary to be done in the hearts of all who would inherit the kingdom of heaven. (DA 176)

“And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.” Again, this doesn’t explain why. It says what, but it doesn’t say why. For example, it doesn’t say why or how Jesus’ death saves believers from perishing.

Quote:
M: As you can see, the gospel is many things – it is the truth as it is in Jesus.

T: Sure, we can see this from Scripture. For example, the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation for all who believe. However, without Christ crucified, there is no Gospel.

Take this insight back further and we discover that if Jesus hadn’t agreed to die in their place, the human race would have ended with the immediate execution of A&E. Listen:

Christ, in counsel with His Father, instituted the system of sacrificial offerings; that death, instead of being immediately visited upon the transgressor, should be transferred to a victim which should prefigure the great and perfect offering of the son of God. {1BC 1104.5}

Why was not the death penalty at once enforced in his case?--Because a ransom was found. God's only begotten Son volunteered to take the sin of man upon Himself, and to make an atonement for the fallen race. There could have been no pardon for sin had this atonement not been made. {1BC 1082.6}

Quote:
M: Here are your three points:

1.Paul says that the Gospel is Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
2.Paul says that the Gospel was preached to Abraham, and this is recorded in Moses.
3.Therefore Moses preached Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

As you can see, you didn’t quite quote point number two accurately. As I said before, yes, Paul said the gospel was preached unto Abraham, and, no, Moses didn’t say it, that is, Moses didn’t say the gospel was preached unto Abraham.

T: The "this" which is recorded by Moses is the Gospel. My point was not that Moses said the Gospel was preached to Abraham, but that Moses recorded the Gospel which was preached to Abraham.

M: Moses simply wrote, “In thee shall all nations be blessed.” That’s it. He didn’t say anything about the gospel. It was Paul who made the connection, who recorded it.

T: You're not understanding what Moses wrote. The Gospel is there, MM. You're reminding me of 2 Cor. 3. Looking back at Nicodemus, we see the same thing. Nicodemus did not understand the Gospel, but that doesn't mean it wasn't in Moses. Christ used Moses to explain the meaning of His death to Nicodemus. If you read EGW's explanation, you'll see that Nicodemus "got it" on the basis of what Moses wrote!

Oh, I agree all right that the SOP makes it crystal clear. No doubt about it. That’s been my point from the beginning. I just don’t understand why you think what Moses wrote (i.e. “In thee shall all nations be blessed”) clearly explains why Jesus had to die. Ask a child or an unbeliever to read these words and I can guarantee you they will not conclude it clearly explains why Jesus had to die. If you were to try and convince them from the Pentateuch that that is exactly what Moses meant I can also guarantee you they will think “thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad”.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #108886
02/24/09 04:39 PM
02/24/09 04:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, are you going to address the posts above and the one you skipped?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #108900
02/24/09 06:49 PM
02/24/09 06:49 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Yes, and in such cases some of the works of the devil are alive and kicking. However, I also happen to believe there are times when people experience rebirth (i.e. old man habits crucified) and conversion (i.e. obeying everything Jesus commanded) simultaneously. In such cases, the works of the devil are destroyed. Your view does not allow for such cases.

T: Agreed. I don't believe in this idea of instant sanctification or perfection of character.

M:I haven’t described instant sanctification or instant character perfection.

Obeying everything that Jesus commanded = sanctification, or perfection of character. That should be clear.

Quote:
Again, I believe the passages above apply to newborn believers who are obeying everything Jesus commanded, which is the result of studying the 28 beliefs with a teacher in the Remnant Church. "When this mighty change has taken place in the sinner, he has passed from death unto life, from sin unto holiness, from transgression and rebellion to obedience and loyalty." Nevertheless, they have not attained unto instant sanctification or instant character perfection.

Why do you think all the Jesus Christ commanded is encompassed by the 28 fundamental beliefs? Do you think these beliefs are inspired? Could there be an error in what we believe?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #108905
02/24/09 08:07 PM
02/24/09 08:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, I did not think that I was grossly misrepresenting your view.

Well, you certainly should have! You must have quite a low opinion of me to think I would think something like the following:

Quote:
You believe they were living in a state of fear and doubt and disbelief until the instant Jesus literally died on the cross.

Quote:
I’m sorry it offended you.

If you're really sorry, please abide by my request, and quote things I've actually written, as I've repeatedly requested.

Quote:
Actually, I’m glad to learn you not only disagree with it, but you hotly hate it. However, please explain how your view differs from the view I shared above, namely, “Through faith the unfallen beings have been secure in the truth about God’s character and kingdom from the moment Jesus announced the plan of salvation.”

When you argue that the angels were not secure until the cross it makes me wonder if you believe they were not secure before the cross. In what sense were they not secure, and how did it affect them? Also, in what way did things change for them after the cross?

The SOP said that the cross made them secure. I'm not sure what there is to discuss here. Here's the quote:

Quote:
Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure.(DA 764)

There are other quotes to that make the same point, that the cross made the universe eternally secure.

Quote:
I hear you saying that since the prophesies describe the 144,000 succeeding it is proof that no matter which way it actually ends up playing out, in the end the 144,000 will succeed. If this is what you’re saying, it makes me wonder why you believe the prophecies that described Jesus succeeding must be interpreted to mean God did not know for certain if Jesus would fail or succeed. How do those prophecies differ from the ones concerning the 144,000?

This is a good question. Just based on Scripture, I suppose one could deduce that the Scriptures regarding Christ succeeding were conditional. It makes sense, on the basis that Christ came as a human being with free will. What actually brought this to my attention, however, were the SOP statements, that all heaven was imperiled, that Christ came at the risk of failure and eternal loss, etc.

Regarding the 144,000, there are no such statements. Of course, there's still free will involved, so the formulation of the 144,000 can be delayed (which is, indeed, what actually happened in the 1888 era; by all rights we shouldn't be here), but some day the 144,000 will be formulated. So the timing is unknown, but not the fact. Similarly for Christ's Second Coming.

Quote:
What happened to the quotes I posted? Did they get lost in cyberspace?

I think they're probably where you left them.

Quote:
Can you summarize what she said about the law and why Jesus had to die? Do you believe the same insights are as clearly articulated in the Bible? If not, why do you think God shared them with the Remnant Church? To what purpose? If so, why, then, do you think God shared them through the gift and calling of Ellen? To what purpose?

The law is a transcript of God's character. The GC is all about God. The adversary had presented God in a way He is not, as harsh, cruel, looking to whack anyone who crossed Him in the least way. One of the supposed tools of the harsh taskmaster was the law. This was supposedly a club that severe taskmaster would use to beat His subjects into submission. This club was made to be seen as a heavy yoke that no one could keep.

Along came Jesus Christ to dispel these lies. His yoke (i.e. obedience to the law) was easy and His burden light. He dispelled these and many other lies that enemy had presented. The culmination of His revelation was His death, which unmasked the enemy, as well as being the brightest light in the illumination of agape. The work of revelation is called the "whole purpose" of Christ's earthly mission.

I think the principles are clearly articulated in Scripture, although certain details were given by the SOP which are not clearly spelled out, but the general principles are there (such as the cross bringing us to God, Christ's coming to reveal the Father, Satan being unmasked)

Quote:
T: There's no reason for me to do so. It would be like me asking you to show me what death is not the inevitable result of sin based on the following passage: “At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.(DA 764)

M:Bummer, oh well, I knew you were going to blow me off, but I guess it doesn’t hurt to ask, to beg, at least it doesn’t hurt too much. It’s very disappointing to be dismissed and disregarded. It feels like persecution. But in your non-answer I am beginning to believe you really do not believe sinners would live forever if God allowed them unlimited access to the tree of life. How you can come to this conclusion in light of what the Bible and SOP said about it is not clear to me. Can you at least explain to me why it doesn’t mean what it says, why it means the opposite of what it says?

It's not an non-answer. God set things up so that by eating of the tree man would live forever. This, like breathing, was a way designed by God to make clear to man that life comes from Him. Man was not allowed to continue eating of the tree as a way of communicating that God did not wish for man, having fallen, live forever in that condition. But the lesson was not that life comes from a tree; it was that life comes from God.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #108907
02/24/09 09:13 PM
02/24/09 09:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
“And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.” Again, this doesn’t explain why. It says what, but it doesn’t say why. For example, it doesn’t say why or how Jesus’ death saves believers from perishing.

By looking! Christ was lifted up, just like the snake, that one would be healed (or saved; same word) by looking. There was no need to say this to a Jew, who knew the story. This is why the EGW explanation of the interview says that Nicodemus face lit up when Jesus said this, because then He understood what Jesus was saying, because he knew the story.

Ellen White spelled this out for us, so that we, in our culture, would be on equal footing with Nicodemus. But Jesus' explanation was no less clear from him then Ellen White's was for us.

Just think about it. Does it really make sense that Jesus Christ would explain His death to Nicodemus in an unclear fashion?

Quote:
Oh, I agree all right that the SOP makes it crystal clear. No doubt about it. That’s been my point from the beginning. I just don’t understand why you think what Moses wrote (i.e. “In thee shall all nations be blessed”) clearly explains why Jesus had to die.

Moses was clear for those in his culture. Just because his was a different culture does not make it fair for us to brand him as unclear.

But let's set Moses aside for a bit, as we have the more important task of seeing if Jesus Christ was clear. Or Paul. Or John. If you don't see these fellows as clear, I'm sure you won't see Moses as being clear.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #109021
02/26/09 07:13 PM
02/26/09 07:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Why do you think all the Jesus Christ commanded is encompassed by the 28 fundamental beliefs? Do you think these beliefs are inspired? Could there be an error in what we believe?

Yes, I believe the 28 fundamental beliefs are inspired, which is also why I believe they encompass everything Jesus commanded. Do you know of truths that are omitted?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #109022
02/26/09 07:32 PM
02/26/09 07:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
There are other quotes to that make the same point, that the cross made the universe eternally secure.

Were unfallen FMAs secure before the cross? If not, please explain.

Just based on Scripture, I suppose one could deduce that the Scriptures regarding Christ succeeding were conditional. It makes sense, on the basis that Christ came as a human being with free will. What actually brought this to my attention, however, were the SOP statements, that all heaven was imperiled, that Christ came at the risk of failure and eternal loss, etc.

Is there anything in the Bible to indicate God didn't know Jesus would succeed on the cross? If not, are you relying on the SOP? Please explain.

It's not an non-answer. God set things up so that by eating of the tree man would live forever. This, like breathing, was a way designed by God to make clear to man that life comes from Him. Man was not allowed to continue eating of the tree as a way of communicating that God did not wish for man, having fallen, live forever in that condition. But the lesson was not that life comes from a tree; it was that life comes from God.

You have not yet verified this view of why God barred access to the tree of life. You simply expect me to take it at your word. I have posted several passages which clearly explain why God barred access to the tree of life and none of them include your view.

Just think about it. Does it really make sense that Jesus Christ would explain His death to Nicodemus in an unclear fashion?

Are you suggesting Nicodemus clearly understood why Jesus had to die after his interview with Jesus? If so, where is the proof?

Moses was clear for those in his culture. Just because his was a different culture does not make it fair for us to brand him as unclear. But let's set Moses aside for a bit, as we have the more important task of seeing if Jesus Christ was clear. Or Paul. Or John. If you don't see these fellows as clear, I'm sure you won't see Moses as being clear.

You must have been really good at dodge ball, Tom. There is no recorded evidence that Moses clearly explained why Jesus had to die or that animal sacrifices symbolized Jesus' death. Yes, there was no doubt oral tradition, but no written record of it. Otherwise, I would be riddled with bruises from the ball beating it into me. You are, of course, entitled to believe whatever you want, but it is crystal clear to me you cannot prove your point from the Bible.

Page 27 of 36 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!