HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,500 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 47 of 55 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109028
02/26/09 08:28 PM
02/26/09 08:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok. How long until you suppose this comes up again? smile

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109045
02/27/09 03:20 AM
02/27/09 03:20 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Now that I know your answer to the title question of this thread it shouldn't have to come up again. BTW, your answer is - Yes!

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109074
02/27/09 04:53 PM
02/27/09 04:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
No, I definitely wouldn't say this, no way. Here's why. If you label something an "uncrucified sinful habit," that implies this is a habit which one knows about, and knows is wrong, and has chosen deliberately to continue doing it anyway. A born again person (using the common definition, not yours, which is a weaker one, meaning simply that the person has accepted Christ as their personal Savior, or been forgiven of their sins, or been justified by faith, to use three synonyms) would *not* have this characteristic.

I wouldn't answer this question as asked either yes or no, as it's unclear.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109103
02/27/09 08:08 PM
02/27/09 08:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I am encouraged by your unwillingness to say, yes, people are born again with uncrucified sinful habits. Let's use the following passage to explore what you believe. Which pre-conversion sins will born again believers (using your definition) continue to practice after they experience the miracle of rebirth?

Quote:
The sins that were practised before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." {SD 300.3}

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109113
02/27/09 09:38 PM
02/27/09 09:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Sins of which they are unaware (you believe this too).

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109189
03/01/09 06:48 PM
03/01/09 06:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
EGW: The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man.

T: If you label something an "uncrucified sinful habit," that implies this is a habit which one knows about, and knows is wrong, and has chosen deliberately to continue doing it anyway.

Are people born again with "sins that were practiced before conversion"?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109208
03/01/09 09:42 PM
03/01/09 09:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Your question is vague. As phrased, with the phrase in quotes, which may imply the context from where it was quoted from, I couldn't say no. However, without quotes, if "sins" refers specifically to sins which those who were born again are unaware of, I'd say yes, which is, again, the same thing you believe.

I'm unclear as to why you're asking this. We've been over this in great, great detail. I thought we were done with this for now. Do you have anything new to add or ask?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109234
03/02/09 04:25 PM
03/02/09 04:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yeah, I thought we were done, too. But then you shocked me by answering the title question - "No, I definitely wouldn't say this, no way." You qualified by saying the phrase "uncrucified sinful habits" specifies known sins and that no truly born again person would continuing practicing them while abiding in Jesus.

Consequently, I tried to clarify what I mean by "uncrucified sinful habits" by using a quote from Ellen that expresses the same idea, namely, "The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man."

Do you think she is specifying only those sins the Holy Spirit made them aware of during the process of conversion? If so, please post inspired quotes (i.e. Bible or SOP) that verify this interpretation. Thank you.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109258
03/02/09 07:01 PM
03/02/09 07:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I've been saying all along that a born again person won't practice known sins, so you should have expected my answer. You often state or ask things in a vague way that can be interpreted differently, so I have to take that into consideration in answering a question; that is, to try and guess which of different possible meanings you have in mind. So when you ask about practicing uncrucified sinful habits, I interpreted "uncrucified" as applying to known sins, since unknown since could hardly be crucified.

Quote:
Consequently, I tried to clarify what I mean by "uncrucified sinful habits" by using a quote from Ellen that expresses the same idea, namely, "The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man."

This is what I was guessing you meant, so I responded no, in agreement with what she wrote.

Quote:
Do you think she is specifying only those sins the Holy Spirit made them aware of during the process of conversion?

Of course. One could hardly put off sins of which one was unaware.

Quote:
If so, please post inspired quotes (i.e. Bible or SOP) that verify this interpretation. Thank you.

Here's one:

Quote:
God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense. (3SM 217)

Since one cannot put off a sin of which one is unaware, reasoning from common sense leads us to the conclusion that she didn't have these in mind.

By the way, this is, again, the same thing you believe. We've been through this.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109298
03/03/09 06:20 PM
03/03/09 06:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the fact you didn't post an inspired quote that says people are born again practicing some of the sins they cultivated prior to experiencing conversion suggests it isn't true.

BTW, which one of the following sins do you think born again believers might practice ignorantly and also explain why:

Quote:
Mark
7:20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.
7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
7:22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
7:23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Romans
1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Galatians
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

If you agree, though, that no truly born again believer will practice any of these sins ignorantly, then please name a sin they might practice ignorantly and why. Please post an inspired quote to verify it, that is, a quote that says this particular sin might be practiced in ignorance after rebirth.

PS - Typically at this point in the discussion you complain that such a request misses the point and you refuse to honor it. Or, you argue that what really matters is the character of God and the sinless example of Jesus and that focusing on sin is unproductive or even counterproductive. For this reason we never finish this discussion. So, please humor me and honor my request. Thank you. Can you imagine Jesus ignoring my sincere request?

Page 47 of 55 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!