HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,500 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 49 of 55 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109516
03/07/09 04:59 AM
03/07/09 04:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I'll rephrase my question. Do you think it is possible for someone to ignorantly practice one or more of the sins listed above after they experience the miracle of rebirth? Please elaborate.

It depends upon how you define a sin. Is drinking or smoking a sin on the list? If so, I think that's a possible one.

Quote:
M: If so, why didn't God enlighten them? Didn't it matter to God that they were ignorantly doing the very things these passages say will keep people out of heaven?

T: Our paradigms don't change overnight.

M:Do you think it didn't matter to God that they were ignorantly doing the very things the passages above say will keep people out of heaven?

No. It matters to God. Sin hurts us, and God doesn't like that.

Quote:
This, of course, assumes you believe those passages do indeed say doing such things will keep people out of heaven - do you?

Doing things isn't what keeps us out of heaven. Hardening our hearts against the Holy Spirit can do this though. Much depends on the light one has. Do you disagree?

Quote:
Apparently you have misunderstood what I believe about it. I do totally believe Moses, Jesus, John, and Paul understood and clearly taught it. It's just that it wasn't written down in the Bible. Do you see the difference between what you think I believe and what I actually believe?

I understand the concept of writing things down and not writing things down. This is about the most ludicrous thing I've heard. Of course, Jesus didn't write anything down at all, so I don't know why you'd include His name.

Why would someone like Paul not write down something as important as the meaning of the death of Christ, given they understood it? Paul wrote down all this other stuff; why would he skip this? I don't understand why you think this is rational.

Quote:
If you'll recall, I happen to believe that God created people with an instinctive knowledge of what is morally right and wrong, that they know when they are cultivating habits that go against their conscience and convictions, and that whether they know it or not the resulting character traits are in violation of the last six commandments.

Yes, I know this. Why do you limit this to the last six commandments? As I recall, you believe a person can ignorantly live in sin. Isn't that right?

Quote:
As such, no one can do anything that breaks one of the last six commandments without realizing they are doing something morally wrong (which is not to say they know about the law in the Bible).

There is so much evidence against this it's frightening. I'm tempted to ask if you don't know any actual people.

Quote:
The difference during the process of conversion, before they experience rebirth, is that the Holy Spirit reveals their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross. It is this revelation that can result in rebirth.

No way! The revelation of sin never resulted in the rebirth of a single soul! It's the revelation of God's character and love which leads to conversion. As Paul says, "Don't you know that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?" (Rom. 2:4)

Quote:
Whether or not a person is in the first or second classification I named above depends on several factors, namely, if they've learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded or not. BTW, seeing their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross does not leave them with a shallow view of the sinfulness of sin, as the SC passage I posted above clearly says.

I didn't say this, of course. I said your idea that God can reveal all the sinful habits a person has at once is based on a superficial view of sin.

You only speak of breaking rules. Sin involves more than this. It involves matters of the heart, more subtle things. First a person is born again, and learns of the grosser sins. As a person progresses, the Lord brings up more subtle things.

Are you aware of any sin in your life MM? Are there any things you perceive you need to work on? If not, that's not a good sign!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109556
03/08/09 12:45 AM
03/08/09 12:45 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: Now everybody believes that born again people give up sins of which they are aware when they believe in Christ.

M: Are you sure everybody believes this way? I ask this question because most people I meet are of the opinion that believers gradually outgrow their known old man habits of sin (i.e. spiritual devolution).

T: I was referring to people on this forum. I'm not aware of anyone on this forum who does not believe that a born again person gives up their known sins when converted.

It would be interesting to learn the truth about what they believe. Those who believe Jesus was significantly different than us would have a hard time defending it.

Quote:
T: Now the sins a born again person has before being born again can be split into two categories:

1. Sins of which they are aware.
2. Sins of which they are not aware.

M: This division is too vague.

T: This isn't vague at all. It's precise.

M: I prefer the following classification of believers:

1. Born again believers who continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth, who have not yet learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

2. Born again believers who are living in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded, who are imitating His sinless example.

T: Now this is vague! A sin of which one is not aware is something that anybody can understand. What you're talking about is as clear as mud. To try to clarify, where does Luther fit into this? Was he born again under your definition or not?

The first classification above describes Luther to a “tee”. BTW, both classes represent genuinely born again believers. If you look closely you’ll see what I mean (check out the first three words). I didn’t clarify in the description above but both classes would be admitted to heaven if they died. Only the second class can be translated alive.

Quote:
T: When Ellen White says they no longer practice the sins they practiced before conversion, I'm assuming she means sins of which they are aware, which is so intuitively obvious that she felt no need to clarify that she didn't have in mind sins of which a person is not aware, because how can one give up a sin of which one is not aware?

M: I'm glad you admit this idea is based on an assumption. I think it assumes she is describing the first class of believers I described above.

T: Which is what? This class includes people like Luther, William Miller, and Spurgeon?

Yes. Plus, it includes all the born again believers nowadays who continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth, who have not yet learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

Quote:
M: The question is - Why do you insist she had this class of believers in mind when she wrote, "The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." {SD 300.3} How do you know she wasn't referring to the other class of believers?

T: For the reason I pointed out. It's common sense that a person can't give up a sin of which he is not aware. How could one think otherwise?

Again, you are assuming that they continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth, that they not yet learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded. Or, do you believe people in the second group (described above) also ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth? Please elaborate.

Quote:
T: So, since you have a unique viewpoint on this question, I'm asking if it's possible that you might be reading something more into what she wrote than she intended.

M: Here you seem to think your assumption above is true and right. But how can you be so sure?

T: This doesn't answer my question. Please, answer my question, and then ask yours.

"The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." If I take this at face value there is no reason for me to assume she obviously means they will continue to ignorantly practice some of the sins they cultivated prior to experiencing the miracle of rebirth. So, no, I don’t think it is obvious she intended for us to assume that’s what she meant. I am certain of this.

For me to read "something more into what she wrote than she intended" (your words) I would have to change the wording. For example, to make it reflect what you're suggesting I would have to change it to read like this:

Some of the sins that were practiced before conversion, will be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." The sins they continue to ignorantly practice after they are reborn will be gradually revealed to them. As their sins of ignorance are revealed, they will confess and crucify them. Eventually they will reach the point where they are living in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

Quote:
T: The only alternative would be that Luther's not in heaven, wouldn't it be? What's wrong with logic deduction?

EGW: God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense. (3SM 217)

T: What's wrong with following this advice?

M: There is the other alternative you haven't thought of yet, namely, that she wasn't describing someone like Luther, that she was instead describing someone like Peter, Paul, James, and John. Such a view doesn't require higher education or the use of fanciful deduction.

T: But I'm asking about Luther. So this isn't an alternative. Will Luther be in heaven or not? That's a simple enough question.

Yes. Luther will be in heaven. Again, both groups of believers will be in heaven. But Ellen wasn’t describing both groups in SD 300. She was describing the second group.

Quote:
T: In Luther's case, we know he continued to drink, and do other questionable things (e.g. his attitude towards Jews). So, don't we either have to conclude that Luther wasn't born again, or your view on this is wrong?

M: Again, there is the other alternative you haven't thought of yet.

T: You're simply avoiding the question. What's your answer to the question?

Again, Luther was part of the first group. That’s why I prefer my two classifications of born again believers. It avoids this kind of misunderstanding.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109558
03/08/09 01:01 AM
03/08/09 01:01 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The first classification above describes Luther to a “tee”.

Ok, here's the first classification:

Quote:
1. Born again believers who continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth, who have not yet learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

So you're saying that Luther was a born again believer who continued to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits he had cultivated prior to being reborn. Is that correct?

Quote:
Yes. Plus, it includes all the born again believers nowadays who continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth, who have not yet learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

So why have you been arguing against this idea?

I don't understand what you're taking issue with. It seems like you're doing an about face here, but perhaps you've just not communicated your thought clearly before now, I don't know. But it sure looks like you're saying exactly the same thing I've been saying all along.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109559
03/08/09 02:00 AM
03/08/09 02:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I'll rephrase my question. Do you think it is possible for someone to ignorantly practice one or more of the sins listed above after they experience the miracle of rebirth? Please elaborate.

T: It depends upon how you define a sin. Is drinking or smoking a sin on the list? If so, I think that's a possible one.

The list got lost. I’ll repost it here:

Quote:
Mark
7:20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.
7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
7:22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
7:23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Romans
1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Galatians
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Even if you believe smoking and drinking are excluded in the lists above, you still haven’t answered my question. My question pertains to the sins blacklisted above. Again, my question is - Do you think it is possible for someone to ignorantly practice one or more of the sins listed above after they experience the miracle of rebirth? Please elaborate.

BTW, do you think smoking and drinking are excluded in the lists above?

Quote:
M: If so, why didn't God enlighten them? Didn't it matter to God that they were ignorantly doing the very things these passages say will keep people out of heaven?

T: Our paradigms don't change overnight.

M: Do you think it didn't matter to God that they were ignorantly doing the very things the passages above say will keep people out of heaven?

T: No. It matters to God. Sin hurts us, and God doesn't like that.

I agree. Now, back to the first question - Why didn't God enlighten them? Why were they allowed to experience rebirth while ignorantly practicing such sins?

Quote:
M: This, of course, assumes you believe those passages do indeed say doing such things will keep people out of heaven - do you?

T: Doing things isn't what keeps us out of heaven. Hardening our hearts against the Holy Spirit can do this though. Much depends on the light one has. Do you disagree?

Apparently doing the things blacklisted in the passages I posted above will bar the gates of heaven. “All these evil things come from within, and defile the man . . . They which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God . . . They which commit such things are worthy of death.” Do you agree they say doing such things will keep them out of heaven?

Quote:
T: For example, you don't believe Moses clearly explained the meaning of Christ's death. You also don't believe that Jesus Christ did so, nor John, nor Paul. Before you can see that Moses was clear (a huge paradigm shift) you would need to see that Jesus did so (a much smaller paradigm shift). Similarly before God can tackle more subtle things, the more overt things are dealt with.

M: Apparently you have misunderstood what I believe about it. I do totally believe Moses, Jesus, John, and Paul understood and clearly taught it. It's just that it wasn't written down in the Bible. Do you see the difference between what you think I believe and what I actually believe?

T: I understand the concept of writing things down and not writing things down. This is about the most ludicrous thing I've heard. Of course, Jesus didn't write anything down at all, so I don't know why you'd include His name. Why would someone like Paul not write down something as important as the meaning of the death of Christ, given they understood it? Paul wrote down all this other stuff; why would he skip this? I don't understand why you think this is rational.

I didn’t say Jesus wrote anything down. Reread what I wrote and I’m sure you’ll agree with me. We can discuss whether or not Paul clearly explained it on the thread dedicated to that question.

Quote:
M: If you'll recall, I happen to believe that God created people with an instinctive knowledge of what is morally right and wrong, that they know when they are cultivating habits that go against their conscience and convictions, and that whether they know it or not the resulting character traits are in violation of the last six commandments.

T: Yes, I know this. 1) Why do you limit this to the last six commandments? 2) As I recall, you believe a person can ignorantly live in sin. Isn't that right?

1) Because no one is born with an instinctive knowledge of the first four commandments. They have to be learned through Bible study and prayer. 2) Yes. This applies to the first class of believers I described above on this thread.

Quote:
M: As such, no one can do anything that breaks one of the last six commandments without realizing they are doing something morally wrong (which is not to say they know about the law in the Bible).

T: There is so much evidence against this it's frightening. I'm tempted to ask if you don't know any actual people.

I disagree.

Quote:
M: The difference during the process of conversion, before they experience rebirth, is that the Holy Spirit reveals their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross. It is this revelation that can result in rebirth.

T: No way! The revelation of sin never resulted in the rebirth of a single soul! It's the revelation of God's character and love which leads to conversion. As Paul says, "Don't you know that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?" (Rom. 2:4)

I’ll let our good friend address this point:

Quote:
The first step in reconciliation to God is the conviction of sin. . . . "By the law is the knowledge of sin" (Rom. 3:20). In order to see his guilt, the sinner must test his character by God's great standard of righteousness. It is a mirror which shows the perfection of a righteous character and enables him to discern the defects of his own. The law reveals to man his sin. . . . It declares that death is the portion of the transgressor. The gospel of Christ alone can free him from the condemnation or the defilement of sin. He must exercise repentance toward God, whose law has been transgressed; and faith in Christ, his atoning sacrifice. . . . {AG 20.4}

In the new birth the heart is brought into harmony with God, as it is brought into accord with His law. When this mighty change has taken place in the sinner, he has passed from death unto life, from sin unto holiness, from transgression and rebellion to obedience and loyalty. . . . {AG 20.5}

The sinner, upon being exhorted to forsake his sins, has a right to ask, What is sin? Those who respect the law of God can answer, Sin is the transgression of the law. In confirmation of this the apostle Paul says, I had not known sin but by the law. {1SM 229.1}

When the mind is drawn to the cross of Calvary, Christ by imperfect sight is discerned on the shameful cross. Why did He die? In consequence of sin. What is sin? The transgression of the law. Then the eyes are open to see the character of sin. The law is broken but cannot pardon the transgressor. It is our schoolmaster, condemning to punishment. Where is the remedy? The law drives us to Christ, who was hanged upon the cross that He might be able to impart His righteousness to fallen, sinful man and thus present men to His Father in His righteous character. {1SM 341.2}

The sinner must be made to feel that he is a transgressor. Christ dying upon the cross of Calvary is drawing his attention. Why did Christ die? Because it was the only means for man to be saved. . . . He took upon Himself our sins that He might impute His righteousness to all who believe in Him. . . . The goodness and the love of God lead the sinner to repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. The awakened sinner . . . is pointed to the law he has transgressed. It calls to him to repent, yet there is no saving quality in law to pardon the transgression of law, and his case seems hopeless. But the law draws him to Christ. However deep are his sins of transgression, the blood of Jesus Christ can cleanse him from all sin. {OHC 141.3}

Do you agree with me that the passages above support what I said above?

BTW, do you agree with this statement – “The difference during the process of conversion, before they experience rebirth, is that the Holy Spirit reveals their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross”?

Quote:
M: Whether or not a person is in the first or second classification I named above depends on several factors, namely, if they've learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded or not. BTW, seeing their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross does not leave them with a shallow view of the sinfulness of sin, as the SC passage I posted above clearly says.

T: I didn't say this, of course. I said your idea that God can reveal all the sinful habits a person has at once is based on a superficial view of sin.

1. Whether or not a person is in the first or second classification I named above depends on whether or not they have learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded. Do you agree?

2. Do you agree with me that God does not “reveal all the sinful habits a person has at once”?

3. Do you agree with me that “seeing their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross does not leave them with a shallow view of the sinfulness of sin”?

Quote:
T: You only speak of breaking rules. Sin involves more than this. It involves matters of the heart, more subtle things.

Do you think a person can sin in the “more subtle matters of the heart” without breaking the law of God? Also, do you think the blacklisted sins named in the passages posted above exclude the “more subtle matters of the heart”?

Quote:
T: First a person is born again, and learns of the grosser sins. As a person progresses, the Lord brings up more subtle things.

Do you think a person is born again first and then learns how to crucify the “grosser sins”? And, what constitutes a “more subtle” sin?

Quote:
T: Are you aware of any sin in your life MM? Are there any things you perceive you need to work on? If not, that's not a good sign!

Oh yes, I am very aware of my weakness and imperfections. Do you think being aware of ones weaknesses and imperfections means they are guilty of sinning? Also, what do you mean by, “Are you aware of any sin in your life”? Are you asking if I am willfully cultivating a particular sinful habit? Or, are you asking if I am willfully indulging some subtle form of selfishness like pride of opinion?

Let me say this - “Whosever abideth in him sinneth not.” When I am actively and aggressively abiding in Jesus, the Bible says that I am pure “even as he is pure,” that I am “righteous even as He is righteous”. It also says, “Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.” It goes on to say, “We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.”

Do these descriptions of believers abiding in Jesus obviously imply that they are ignorantly practicing some of the sins they cultivated prior to rebirth? I don’t think so. Do you?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109560
03/08/09 02:17 AM
03/08/09 02:17 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: The first classification above describes Luther to a “tee”.

T: Ok, here's the first classification:

Quote:

So you're saying that Luther was a born again believer who continued to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits he had cultivated prior to being reborn. Is that correct?

Yes.

Quote:
M: Yes. Plus, it includes all the born again believers nowadays who continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth, who have not yet learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

T: So why have you been arguing against this idea? I don't understand what you're taking issue with. It seems like you're doing an about face here, but perhaps you've just not communicated your thought clearly before now, I don't know. But it sure looks like you're saying exactly the same thing I've been saying all along.

I haven't been arguing against the idea. I've been attempting to explain that the SD 300 quote applies exclusively to the second class of believers. Do you agree?

Please address the following points you overlooked above:

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Quote:
M: I didn’t clarify in the description above but both classes would be admitted to heaven if they died. Only the second class can be translated alive.

Do you agree?

Quote:
M: The question is - Why do you insist she had this class of believers in mind when she wrote, "The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." {SD 300.3} How do you know she wasn't referring to the other class of believers?

T: For the reason I pointed out. It's common sense that a person can't give up a sin of which he is not aware. How could one think otherwise?

Again, you are assuming that they continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth, that they not yet learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded. Or, do you believe people in the second group (described above) also ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth? Please elaborate.

Quote:
T: So, since you have a unique viewpoint on this question, I'm asking if it's possible that you might be reading something more into what she wrote than she intended.

M: Here you seem to think your assumption above is true and right. But how can you be so sure?

T: This doesn't answer my question. Please, answer my question, and then ask yours.

"The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering."

If I take this at face value there is no reason for me to assume she obviously means they will continue to ignorantly practice some of the sins they cultivated prior to experiencing the miracle of rebirth. So, no, I don’t think it is obvious she intended for us to assume that’s what she meant. I am certain of this.

For me to read "something more into what she wrote than she intended" (your words) I would have to change the wording. For example, to make it reflect what you're suggesting I would have to change it to read like this:

Some of the sins that were practiced before conversion, will be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." The sins they continue to ignorantly practice after they are reborn will be gradually revealed to them. As their sins of ignorance are revealed, they will confess and crucify them. Eventually they will reach the point where they are living in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

Do you agree this would be "reading something more into what she wrote than she intended"?

Quote:
T: The only alternative would be that Luther's not in heaven, wouldn't it be? What's wrong with logic deduction?

EGW: God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense. (3SM 217)

M: There is the other alternative you haven't thought of yet, namely, that she wasn't describing someone like Luther, that she was instead describing someone like Peter, Paul, James, and John. Such a view doesn't require higher education or the use of fanciful deduction.

T: But I'm asking about Luther. So this isn't an alternative. Will Luther be in heaven or not? That's a simple enough question.

Yes. Luther will be in heaven. Again, both groups of believers will be in heaven. But Ellen wasn’t describing both groups in SD 300. She was describing the second group.

Do you agree?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109562
03/08/09 02:39 AM
03/08/09 02:39 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Even if you believe smoking and drinking are excluded in the lists above, you still haven’t answered my question. My question pertains to the sins blacklisted above. Again, my question is - Do you think it is possible for someone to ignorantly practice one or more of the sins listed above after they experience the miracle of rebirth? Please elaborate.

If they're done deliberately, sure. If ignorantly, no.

Quote:
BTW, do you think smoking and drinking are excluded in the lists above?

I was asking you that.

Quote:
I agree. Now, back to the first question - Why didn't God enlighten them? Why were they allowed to experience rebirth while ignorantly practicing such sins?

Let's consider a specific case. The question of Luther's drinking would fit here. Why didn't God enlighten Luther in regards to drinking? What do you think? Perhaps God felt there were other things more important. Luther was already dealing with quite a lot.

Quote:
Apparently doing the things blacklisted in the passages I posted above will bar the gates of heaven. “All these evil things come from within, and defile the man . . . They which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God . . . They which commit such things are worthy of death.” Do you agree they say doing such things will keep them out of heaven?

I don't believe they're addressing things done ignorantly. Also it's not so much that doing these things keeps one out of heaven as those who do these things demonstrate they have rebelled against God. Iow, those who do these things will not be in heaven. But not because they do these things. They do these things for the same reason they won't be in heaven, which is they have chosen not to respond to the promptings of the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
I didn’t say Jesus wrote anything down. Reread what I wrote and I’m sure you’ll agree with me.

You said the things weren't written down in the Bible. Jesus didn't write anything down in the Bible.

Let's clarify about Jesus. You're asserting that Jesus understood the meaning of His death, and now you're saying He taught it, but what He taught is not in Scripture. I've understood you correctly, right?

Quote:
We can discuss whether or not Paul clearly explained it on the thread dedicated to that question.

Ok, I'm just making the point that this is what you're asserting, not why.

Quote:
1) Because no one is born with an instinctive knowledge of the first four commandments. They have to be learned through Bible study and prayer.

Not according to Romans 1. Also the SOP addresses this. Things like how nature reveals God, and the law being written on every fiber of our being.

Quote:
2) Yes. This applies to the first class of believers I described above on this thread.

You're contradicting yourself. If a person knows instinctively that any violation of the last six commandments is wrong, they can't be living in sin ignorantly.

Quote:
Do you agree with me that the passages above support what I said above?

It's the goodness of God that leads to repentance.

Quote:
4Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?(Romans 2:4)

EGW agrees:

Quote:
The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. (DA 176)

What brings conviction of sin is the revelation of God's character and love. What you cited brings this out as well:

Quote:
The goodness and the love of God lead the sinner to repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. The awakened sinner . . . is pointed to the law he has transgressed.

Quote:
BTW, do you agree with this statement – “The difference during the process of conversion, before they experience rebirth, is that the Holy Spirit reveals their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross”?

I assume you mean without the following sentence included, since what we're discussing is my disagreement of this statement with that sentence included. I don't really know what you're saying here, so I can't comment. The difference between what?

On the 1., 2., 3., I'll wait for your response to my other post to discuss this, since it's being discussed there as well. Similarly for the following points and questions. I understood you were against the idea that after being converted people sin less and less as their sins are revealed to them, but now it appears you are agreeing with this idea, so I'm awaiting clarification.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109613
03/09/09 02:22 AM
03/09/09 02:22 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Even if you believe smoking and drinking are excluded in the lists above, you still haven’t answered my question. My question pertains to the sins blacklisted above. Again, my question is - Do you think it is possible for someone to ignorantly practice one or more of the sins listed above after they experience the miracle of rebirth? Please elaborate.

T: If they're done deliberately, sure. If ignorantly, no.

I don’t understand your answer. Please rephrase it.

Quote:
M: BTW, do you think smoking and drinking are excluded in the lists above?

T: I was asking you that.

My answer is, No. What’s yours?

Quote:
M: I agree. Now, back to the first question - Why didn't God enlighten them? Why were they allowed to experience rebirth while ignorantly practicing such sins?

T: Let's consider a specific case. The question of Luther's drinking would fit here. Why didn't God enlighten Luther in regards to drinking? What do you think? Perhaps God felt there were other things more important. Luther was already dealing with quite a lot.

I agree. But what about his more offensive sins of ignorance? Why do you think God overlooked them? I am assuming some of his sins of ignorance were more offensive. Do you know of any that were?

Quote:

T: I don't believe they're addressing things done ignorantly. Also it's not so much that doing these things keeps one out of heaven as those who do these things demonstrate they have rebelled against God. Iow, those who do these things will not be in heaven. But not because they do these things. They do these things for the same reason they won't be in heaven, which is they have chosen not to respond to the promptings of the Holy Spirit.

I’m having a hard time reconciling your interpretation in light of the following plainly worded statements: “They which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God . . . They which commit such things are worthy of death.”

Also, do you think born again believers can do such things without realizing they are sinning and still have the type of mind and character that would enable them to enjoy heaven? If so, please name one of the blacklisted sins as example.

Quote:
M: I didn’t say Jesus wrote anything down. Reread what I wrote and I’m sure you’ll agree with me.

T: You said the things weren't written down in the Bible. Jesus didn't write anything down in the Bible. Let's clarify about Jesus. You're asserting that Jesus understood the meaning of His death, and now you're saying He taught it, but what He taught is not in Scripture. I've understood you correctly, right?

Again, I never said Jesus wrote it down. Please quote where I said He did.

And, yes, I am saying what Jesus clearly taught about it wasn’t clearly recorded in the Bible. It was taken for granted. The observance of the Sabbath on the seventh-day is another thing that was taken for granted in the NT. It is not clearly reinforced or reiterated like other commandments were.

Quote:
1) Because no one is born with an instinctive knowledge of the first four commandments. They have to be learned through Bible study and prayer.

T: Not according to Romans 1. Also the SOP addresses this. Things like how nature reveals God, and the law being written on every fiber of our being.

On this we clearly disagree.

Quote:
2) Yes. This applies to the first class of believers I described above on this thread.

T: You're contradicting yourself. If a person knows instinctively that any violation of the last six commandments is wrong, they can't be living in sin ignorantly.

They can in relation to the fourth commandment.

Quote:
M: Do you agree with me that the passages above support what I said above?

T: It's the goodness of God that leads to repentance.

Please include what I said.

Quote:
M: BTW, do you agree with this statement – “The difference during the process of conversion, before they experience rebirth, is that the Holy Spirit reveals their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross”?

T: I assume you mean without the following sentence included, since what we're discussing is my disagreement of this statement with that sentence included. I don't really know what you're saying here, so I can't comment. The difference between what?

Before people embark upon the process of conversion they are instinctively aware of what is morally right and wrong as defined by the last six commandments (or, according to, as defined by all ten commandments). But after they embark upon the process of conversion they see their sins for the time in light of the cross. This makes a huge difference. Do you agree?

Quote:
T: On the 1., 2., 3., I'll wait for your response to my other post to discuss this, since it's being discussed there as well. Similarly for the following points and questions. I understood you were against the idea that after being converted people sin less and less as their sins are revealed to them, but now it appears you are agreeing with this idea, so I'm awaiting clarification.

I still believe people do not gradually outgrow a known sinful habit after they experience rebirth. I believe they crucify their old man habits of sin the moment they experience the miracle of rebirth. There are the two classification of born again believers at this point.

PS - Please finish addressing the parts you left out in the two posts above. Thank you.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109622
03/09/09 02:55 PM
03/09/09 02:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: Even if you believe smoking and drinking are excluded in the lists above, you still haven’t answered my question. My question pertains to the sins blacklisted above. Again, my question is - Do you think it is possible for someone to ignorantly practice one or more of the sins listed above after they experience the miracle of rebirth? Please elaborate.

T: If they're done deliberately, sure. If ignorantly, no.

M:I don’t understand your answer. Please rephrase it.

I'm responding to your last question. It's possible for someone to ignorantly do something on the list after being reborn.

Quote:

T: I was asking you that.

M:My answer is, No. What’s yours?

I was thinking they could be seen as a part of the list, which is why I mentioned them.

Quote:
M: I agree. Now, back to the first question - Why didn't God enlighten them? Why were they allowed to experience rebirth while ignorantly practicing such sins?

T: Let's consider a specific case. The question of Luther's drinking would fit here. Why didn't God enlighten Luther in regards to drinking? What do you think? Perhaps God felt there were other things more important. Luther was already dealing with quite a lot.

M:I agree. But what about his more offensive sins of ignorance? Why do you think God overlooked them? I am assuming some of his sins of ignorance were more offensive. Do you know of any that were?

According the SOP, the most offensive sins are those of pride and selfishness. These are also very difficult to detect by outsiders. So we can be very off target in our interpretation of the character of others.

Luther appeared in some ways to be obstinate and have an unchariable view of some. However it is the very traits, which we might characterize as defects, which are the other side the coin which made Luther such a force for good. So I wouldn't dare criticize him as I believe he was greatly used by God.

Quote:
I’m having a hard time reconciling your interpretation in light of the following plainly worded statements: “They which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God . . . They which commit such things are worthy of death.”

Just read in the word "deliberately." People who ignorantly sin won't be judged for such, unless they take purposeful actions to be ignorant. It seems to me this is the same thing you're saying.

Quote:
Also, do you think born again believers can do such things without realizing they are sinning and still have the type of mind and character that would enable them to enjoy heaven? If so, please name one of the blacklisted sins as example.

Given smoking and drinking are not excluded from the list, I'll name those.

Quote:
Again, I never said Jesus wrote it down. Please quote where I said He did.

I didn't say you did. You said nobody wrote it down. I said Jesus didn't write anything down, so that would eliminate Him as a possibility in terms of writing something down right off that bat.

Quote:
And, yes, I am saying what Jesus clearly taught about it wasn’t clearly recorded in the Bible. It was taken for granted.

Why would the death of Christ be taken for granted? That makes no sense.

You're saying the death of Christ was taken for granted for almost 2,000 years, never clearly explained until Ellen White. You don't see the problem with this?

Quote:
The observance of the Sabbath on the seventh-day is another thing that was taken for granted in the NT. It is not clearly reinforced or reiterated like other commandments were.

How is this comparable with Christ's death? Even holy angels were confused about certain things until the cross. Surely men didn't know it well enough to "take it for granted."

Quote:

T: Not according to Romans 1. Also the SOP addresses this. Things like how nature reveals God, and the law being written on every fiber of our being.

M:On this we clearly disagree.

You don't agree that the law is written on every fiber of our being? We discussed this in the past, and I recall you believed this, and believed it included the first four commandments.

Quote:
T: You're contradicting yourself. If a person knows instinctively that any violation of the last six commandments is wrong, they can't be living in sin ignorantly.

M:They can in relation to the fourth commandment.

I'm pointing out a contradiction you hold in relation to the seventh commandment. You claim on the one hand that none of the last 6 commandments can be broken ignorantly. But then you say people can ignorantly live in sin. That's a contradiction.

Quote:

T: It's the goodness of God that leads to repentance.

M:Please include what I said.

You mean what you said above? You said:

Quote:
M: The difference during the process of conversion, before they experience rebirth, is that the Holy Spirit reveals their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross. It is this revelation that can result in rebirth.

I'm disagreeing with your conclusion that the revelation of cultivated sinful habits is what results in rebirth. It's the goodness of God which leads to repentance. It's a knowledge of God's love and character that results in rebirth.

Quote:
Before people embark upon the process of conversion they are instinctively aware of what is morally right and wrong as defined by the last six commandments (or, according to, as defined by all ten commandments). But after they embark upon the process of conversion they see their sins for the time in light of the cross. This makes a huge difference. Do you agree?

There's no need to limit this to the last six commandments. I don't know why you make a distinction between the first four commandments and the last six in this regard. Especially the first. People know there is a God, and it is wrong to have other Gods before Him. Even cultures which are polytheistic have a concept of a God above the other gods.

I agree in the process of conversion people see their sins in the light of the cross, and this is something they would not have done before conversion.

Quote:
M:I still believe people do not gradually outgrow a known sinful habit after they experience rebirth.

You believe the ignorantly practice known sins, right? Gradually they become aware of things they were previously ignorant, and then give them up. Doesn't that make sense?

Quote:
I believe they crucify their old man habits of sin the moment they experience the miracle of rebirth. There are the two classification of born again believers at this point.

PS - Please finish addressing the parts you left out in the two posts above. Thank you.

Could you please repost these? (i.e. the parts I left out). Sorry for the extra work.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109649
03/10/09 12:53 AM
03/10/09 12:53 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Do you think it is possible for someone to ignorantly practice one or more of the sins listed above after they experience the miracle of rebirth? Please elaborate.

T: It's possible for someone to ignorantly do something on the list after being reborn.

Here’s a compilation of the blacklisted sins:

Quote:
1. evil thoughts,
2. adulteries,
3. fornications,
4. murders,
5. Thefts,
6. covetousness,
7. wickedness,
8. deceit,
9. lasciviousness,
10. an evil eye,
11. blasphemy,
12. pride,
13. foolishness:
14. a reprobate mind,
15. things which are not convenient;
16. Being filled with all unrighteousness,
17. maliciousness;
18. full of envy,
19. debate,
20. deceit,
21. malignity;
22. whisperers,
23. Backbiters,
24. haters of God,
25. despiteful,
26. boasters,
27. inventors of evil things,
28. disobedient to parents,
29. covenantbreakers,
30. without natural affection,
31. implacable,
32. unmerciful:
33. have pleasure in them that do them.
34. uncleanness,
35. Idolatry,
36. witchcraft,
37. hatred,
38. variance,
39. emulations,
40. wrath,
41. strife,
42. seditions,
43. heresies,
44. drunkenness,
45. revellings,

This blacklist of sins is compiled from Mark, Romans, and Galatians. Do you think Jesus or Paul imagined a born again believe ignorantly practicing one of these sins?

Quote:

T: I was thinking they could be seen as a part of the list, which is why I mentioned them.

Of the 45 sins blacklisted above where do you see smoking and drinking fitting in?

Quote:
M: But what about Luther’s more offensive sins of ignorance? Why do you think God overlooked them? I am assuming some of his sins of ignorance were more offensive. Do you know of any that were?

T: Luther appeared in some ways to be obstinate and have an unchariable view of some. However it is the very traits, which we might characterize as defects, which are the other side the coin which made Luther such a force for good. So I wouldn't dare criticize him as I believe he was greatly used by God.

Do you view his obstinacy as one of his more offensive sins? And, do you view his uncharitable views of some as one of his more offensive sins? Also, do you think his drinking was one of the 45 sins blacklisted above? If so, which one?

Quote:
M: I’m having a hard time reconciling your interpretation in light of the following plainly worded statements: “They which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God . . . They which commit such things are worthy of death.”

T: Just read in the word "deliberately." People who ignorantly sin won't be judged for such, unless they take purposeful actions to be ignorant. It seems to me this is the same thing you're saying.

I’m not comfortable adding to the word of God. Do you know of an inspired passage that inserts the words like “deliberately” in contexts like this, that is, a context in which specific sins are said to make people worthy of death and ineligible to inherit the kingdom of God?

Quote:
M: Also, do you think born again believers can do such things without realizing they are sinning and still have the type of mind and character that would enable them to enjoy heaven? If so, please name one of the blacklisted sins as example.

T: Given smoking and drinking are not excluded from the list, I'll name those.

Of the 45 sins blacklisted above which ones are smoking and drinking?

Quote:
And, yes, I am saying what Jesus clearly taught about it wasn’t clearly recorded in the Bible. It was taken for granted.

T: Why would the death of Christ be taken for granted? That makes no sense. You're saying the death of Christ was taken for granted for almost 2,000 years, never clearly explained until Ellen White. You don't see the problem with this?

Yes, I see a problem with it. And, I disagree with it. I believe the oral tradition has written down here and there since the death of Jesus (can’t name anyone off the top of my head). Ellen also wrote it down.

Quote:
M: The observance of the Sabbath on the seventh-day is another thing that was taken for granted in the NT. It is not clearly reinforced or reiterated like other commandments were.

T: How is this comparable with Christ's death? Even holy angels were confused about certain things until the cross. Surely men didn't know it well enough to "take it for granted."

It’s another example of an important truth that was taken for granted. And, I disagree with you regarding the angels being confused or not secure before the cross.

Quote:

M: On this we clearly disagree.

T: You don't agree that the law is written on every fiber of our being? We discussed this in the past, and I recall you believed this, and believed it included the first four commandments.

Yes, people are born with a yearning to worship God, but they do not know instinctively about the one true God. They have to learn about Him through Bible study and prayer. We both agree the Sabbath is unique.

Quote:

M: They can in relation to the fourth commandment.

T: I'm pointing out a contradiction you hold in relation to the seventh commandment. You claim on the one hand that none of the last 6 commandments can be broken ignorantly. But then you say people can ignorantly live in sin. That's a contradiction.

Yes, it is a contradiction, but one I do not believe. I do not believe people can live together unlawfully without feeling ashamed. True, they can harden their hearts until they no longer feel guilty.

Quote:

T: You said: “The difference during the process of conversion, before they experience rebirth, is that the Holy Spirit reveals their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross. It is this revelation that can result in rebirth.”

I'm disagreeing with your conclusion that the revelation of cultivated sinful habits is what results in rebirth. It's the goodness of God which leads to repentance. It's a knowledge of God's love and character that results in rebirth.

Ellen wrote, “The first step in reconciliation to God is the conviction of sin. . . The sinner must be made to feel that he is a transgressor.” In response to this I wrote, “This revelation can result in rebirth.” Notice I didn’t will result in rebirth. Neither can you say, “It’s a knowledge of God's love and character that results in rebirth.”

Quote:
M: Before people embark upon the process of conversion they are instinctively aware of what is morally right and wrong as defined by the last six commandments (or, according to you, as defined by all ten commandments). But after they embark upon the process of conversion they see their sins for the time in light of the cross. This makes a huge difference. Do you agree?

T: There's no need to limit this to the last six commandments. I don't know why you make a distinction between the first four commandments and the last six in this regard. Especially the first. People know there is a God, and it is wrong to have other Gods before Him. Even cultures which are polytheistic have a concept of a God above the other gods.

You’ll notice that I included your view above.

Quote:
T: I agree in the process of conversion people see their sins in the light of the cross, and this is something they would not have done before conversion.

Do you agree with me that seeing their sins for the first time in light of the cross makes a huge difference in how they view their sins? If so, what do think accounts for it?

Quote:
M: I still believe people do not gradually outgrow a known sinful habit after they experience rebirth.

T: You believe the[y] ignorantly practice [un]known sins, right? Gradually they become aware of things they were previously ignorant, and then give them up. Doesn't that make sense?

I believe there are two classifications of born again believers. I articulated this above. Here it is again:

2. Born again believers who are living in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded, who are imitating His sinless example.

I believe the only real difference between these two groups has to do with those doctrines that are unique to the SDA church, namely, diet and health and dress reform. Of course, in some cases, Sabbath-keeping, hellfire, the state of the dead, and the investigative judgment are other notable differences. The sinful habits related to ignorance of these doctrines are practiced until the truth is learned.

I do not believe anyone in either group can be ignorant of the 45 blacklisted sins named above (this is based on the assumption that everybody in both groups have experienced rebirth in God’s appointed way). Do you agree?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109650
03/10/09 01:02 AM
03/10/09 01:02 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Whether or not a person is in the first or second classification I named above depends on several factors, namely, if they've learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded or not. BTW, seeing their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross does not leave them with a shallow view of the sinfulness of sin, as the SC passage I posted above clearly says.

T: I didn't say this, of course. I said your idea that God can reveal all the sinful habits a person has at once is based on a superficial view of sin.

1. Whether or not a person is in the first or second classification I named above depends on whether or not they have learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded. Do you agree?

2. Do you agree with me that God does not “reveal all the sinful habits a person has at once”?

3. Do you agree with me that “seeing their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross does not leave them with a shallow view of the sinfulness of sin”?

Quote:
T: You only speak of breaking rules. Sin involves more than this. It involves matters of the heart, more subtle things.

Do you think a person can sin in the “more subtle matters of the heart” without breaking the law of God? Also, do you think the blacklisted sins named in the passages posted above exclude the “more subtle matters of the heart”?

Quote:
T: First a person is born again, and learns of the grosser sins. As a person progresses, the Lord brings up more subtle things.

Do you think a person is born again first and then learns how to crucify the “grosser sins”? And, what constitutes a “more subtle” sin?

Quote:
T: Are you aware of any sin in your life MM? Are there any things you perceive you need to work on? If not, that's not a good sign!

Oh yes, I am very aware of my weakness and imperfections. Do you think being aware of ones weaknesses and imperfections means they are guilty of sinning? Also, what do you mean by, “Are you aware of any sin in your life”? Are you asking if I am willfully cultivating a particular sinful habit? Or, are you asking if I am willfully indulging some subtle form of selfishness like pride of opinion?

Let me say this - “Whosever abideth in him sinneth not.” When I am actively and aggressively abiding in Jesus, the Bible says that I am pure “even as he is pure,” that I am “righteous even as He is righteous”. It also says, “Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.” It goes on to say, “We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.”

Do these descriptions of believers abiding in Jesus obviously imply that they are ignorantly practicing some of the sins they cultivated prior to rebirth? I don’t think so. Do you?

Quote:
M: I didn’t clarify in the description above but both classes would be admitted to heaven if they died. Only the second class can be translated alive.

Do you agree?

Quote:

Quote:

"The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering."

If I take this at face value there is no reason for me to assume she obviously means they will continue to ignorantly practice some of the sins they cultivated prior to experiencing the miracle of rebirth. So, no, I don’t think it is obvious she intended for us to assume that’s what she meant. I am certain of this.

Do you agree this would be "reading something more into what she wrote than she intended"?

Quote:

Do you agree?

Page 49 of 55 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!