HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 43 of 100 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109300
03/03/09 06:50 PM
03/03/09 06:50 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
She says nothing about Christ's heredity being different than ours, about His assumed nature being different than ours.

Oh, yes, she does:

“Because of sin, his [Adam’s] posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience. BUT Jesus Christ was the only begotten Son of God. He took upon Himself human nature, ... but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity.”

The contrast is perfectly visible here. And, after saying, “Not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity,” she continues:

“He was assailed with temptations in the wilderness, as Adam was assailed with temptations in Eden.”

Notice, not as his posterity is assailed, but as Adam was assailed.

Quote:
Her principle emphasis is on Christ's not having sinned, which she emphasizes in points 2, 4, 7, 8 and 9. The other points, 1, 3, 5 and 6, emphasize Christ's divinity.

No, the emphasis is on Christ’s being without a taint of sin, which means not having (either by inheritance or by choice) inclinations to sin:

“Never, in any way, leave the slightest impression upon human minds, that a taint of, or inclination to corruption rested upon Christ, or that He in any way yielded to corruption.”

She is speaking of two distinct things here:
1) a taint of corruption or inclination to corruption. Note the parallel expression in reference to Adam as having been created “without a taint of sin.”
2) the act itself of yielding to corruption.

Quote:
This emphasis is entirely in harmony with countering the principles of Adoptionism.

As I pointed out previously, your claim that Baker was teaching that Christ sinned does not fit Adoptionism at all. From your link:

“Adoptionism, also called dynamic monarchianism, was a minority Christian belief that Jesus was born merely human and that he became divine later in his life. By these accounts, Jesus earned the title Christ through his sinless devotion to the will of God, thereby becoming the perfect sacrifice to redeem humanity.”

Adoptionism taught that Christ was sinless, and that He was adopted as the Son of God exactly because of His sinlessness.

Quote:
Quote:
Our sinful nature involves our mind, our will, our character – our spiritual nature, and yes, the sinful nature which Christ took was different from ours, because these aspects were all under the control of His sinless nature.

This doesn't even make sense. What aspects? The aspects you are referring to must be "our mind, our will, our character, our spiritual nature." You say the sinful nature which Christ took was different than our because these aspects were kept under the control of His sinless nature. So you're saying that A is different than A because A was kept under the control of B, where A is "these aspects" (itemized above) and B is "His sinful nature."

You and your faulty representations of my logic.
A is the human nature with the spiritual aspect (mind, will, character) free from any taint of sin.
B is the human nature with the spiritual aspect (mind, will, character) tainted by sin.
Anyone can see that A is different from B, since there is a fundamental aspect in both of them which is different. And they are different because the divine nature is precisely the divine character.

"He [Christ] began life, passed through its experiences, and ended its record, with a sanctified human will." {ST, October 29, 1894 par. 7}

Do we begin life with a sanctified human will?

"God made Adam after His own character, pure and upright. There were no corrupt principles in the first Adam, no corrupt propensities of tendencies to evil." {16MR 86.2}

Adam was made after God’s own character. Are we born after God’s own character? Was Christ?

We are born with “propensities of disobedience,” that is, with the propensity to disobey God and His law. We aren’t born naturally delighting in doing God’s will. We are born with a carnal mind that “is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.” Was Christ born with such a mind? “I delight to do thy will, O my God; thy law is within my heart."

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109307
03/03/09 07:43 PM
03/03/09 07:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
1.These words are not addressed to any human being, except to the Son of the Infinite God.
2.Never, in any way, leave the slightest impression upon human minds, that a taint of, or inclination to corruption rested upon Christ, or that He in any way yielded to corruption.
3.He was tempted in all points like as man is tempted, yet He is called that holy thing.
4.It is a mystery that is left unexplained to mortals that Christ could be tempted in all points like as we are, and yet be without sin.
5.But let every human being be warned from the ground of making Christ altogether human, such an one as ourselves; for it cannot be.
6.The exact time when humanity blended with divinity, it is not necessary for us to know.
7.The first Adam fell: the second Adam held fast to God and His word under the most trying circumstances, and His faith in His Father’s goodness, mercy, and love did not waver for one moment.
8.Not one occasion has been given in response to His manifold temptations.
9.Not once did Christ step on Satan’s ground, to give him any advantage. Satan found nothing in Him to encourage his advances.

She says nothing about Christ's heredity being different than ours, about His assumed nature being different than ours.

R:Oh, yes, she does:

Where? (on the list above)

Regarding your interpretation, you're splitting up the paragraph, and trying to make it say something it's not saying. Every time you try to make this distinction you commit this same error. Why not consider the whole paragraph? And the ones which follow?

Quote:
“He was assailed with temptations in the wilderness, as Adam was assailed with temptations in Eden.”

Notice, not as his posterity is assailed, but as Adam was assailed.

Of course as Adam was assailed, because Adam was without sin.

If her point were what you think it was, she would have somewhere summarized your idea. But she didn't. She summarized my ideas. Again and again.

Quote:
“Never, in any way, leave the slightest impression upon human minds, that a taint of, or inclination to corruption rested upon Christ, or that He in any way yielded to corruption.”

No she's not. She's clarifying her thought by saying the same thing again, something she did all the time. I can provide many, many examples of this, if you'd like.

Regarding "Adoptionism" in wiki, the "sinless devotion" is referring to his passing this test, not the idea that Christ never sinned as a child.

Here's some more information:

Quote:
Adoptionism is an error concerning Christ that first appeared in the second century. Those who held it denied the preexistence of Christ and, therefore, His deity. Adoptionists taught that Jesus was tested by God and after passing this test and upon His baptism, He was granted supernatural powers by God and adopted as the Son. As a reward for His great accomplishments and perfect character Jesus was raised from the dead and adopted into the Godhead.(www.carm.org/apologetics/heresies/adoptionism)

Another example:

Quote:
Adoptionism defined God to be a single unity, while Jesus Christ was of divine nature only temporarily, for the period his mission lasted. Jesus as a human being possessed by a spiritual entity. This possession, or spiritual adoption, happened either at the time of Jesus' baptism or his ascension. He was the Son of God by the virtues of his high degree of divine wisdom and power.(http://looklex.com/e.o/adoptionism.htm)

Another example:

Quote:
The earliest extant work which expresses this position is the Shepherd of Hermas, thought to be written by the brother of the bishop of Rome about A D 150. It taught that the Redeemer was a virtuous man chosen by God, and with him the Spirit of God was united. He did the work to which God had called him; in fact, he did more than was commanded. Therefore he was by divine decree adopted as a son and exalted to great power and lordship. Adherents of this Christology who were declared heretics in the third century asserted it had at one time been the dominant view in Rome and that it had been handed down by the apostles. (http://www.mb-soft.com/believe/text/adoption.htm)

One more:

Quote:
They held that Jesus at the time of his birth was purely human and only became the divine Son of God by adoption when he was baptized.(http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1E1-adoptnsm.html)

Adoptionism explains the comments to Baker (see the list above). Your idea doesn't explain the statements which followed (see list above). It also requires ignoring the historical reality.

Quote:

In the earlier example you wrote:

Quote:
Anyway, she added the word “evil” both before “propensity” (in the Baker letter) and before “tendencies” (in the letter to Kellogg). This means that she is using both words in a negative sense, and therefore they are synonymous.

The fact that she uses two words in a negative sense does not imply the words are synonyms. It only means she was using them synonymously in the example of the comparison. This is correct, isn't it?

Quote:
A is the human nature with the spiritual aspect (mind, will, character) free from any taint of sin.
B is the human nature with the spiritual aspect (mind, will, character) tainted by sin.
Anyone can see that A is different from B, since there is a fundamental aspect in both of them which is different.

So you're saying that the sinful nature that Christ took was sinless? He took a sinless sinful nature? Is that it? Whereas our sinful natures our sinful, so their different than His? So when EGW says He took our sinful nature upon His own sinless nature, what she really meant was He took upon His own sinless nature not our sinful nature, but a sinless sinful nature which was unlike ours?

It would be so easy to see that this couldn't possibly be the case by simply considering what was actually happening in Adventism at the time she wrote these things. She didn't live in a vacuum, but had relationships with people who had certain ideas and understood her to have certain ideas.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109319
03/03/09 08:35 PM
03/03/09 08:35 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Rosangela, Thank you for clarifying this important distinction. I'm studying this and still have a lot's more. But this is what comes to me from Scriptures.

Can we sum it up like so :

We were born descendent of sinful Adam while Jesus was born Son of God.
Originally Posted By: Luke 1:35
The angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.
So Christ was the second and Last Adam which was different from the first in this manner:

Originally Posted By: 1Cor. 15:45
So also it is written, “The first MAN, Adam, BECAME A LIVING SOUL.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

Also Adam was made "in the likeness of God"
Originally Posted By: Gen. 1:26
Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness;

While God sent His son "in the likeness of sinful flesh". It doesn't mean he had a sinful flesh.

Originally Posted By: Rom. 8:3
For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,

Blessings
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109320
03/03/09 08:56 PM
03/03/09 08:56 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Where? (on the list above)

But who said I had to restrict myself to your list? I referred to things that were contained in the main paragraph of the letter.

Quote:
Regarding your interpretation, you're splitting up the paragraph, and trying to make it say something it's not saying. Every time you try to make this distinction you commit this same error. Why not consider the whole paragraph? And the ones which follow?

No, I’m not splitting the paragraph, but emphasizing, within the paragraph, the contrast which does exist and which was perceived by other people besides me, like Arnold and Teresa.

Quote:
R: Notice, not as his posterity is assailed [with temptations], but as Adam was assailed.
T: Of course as Adam was assailed, because Adam was without sin.

What she says in the paragraph in question about Adam is that he “was created a pure, sinless being, without a taint of sin upon him,” not that he hadn't yet sinned when he was tempted. Although this is also true, it was not her emphasis.

Quote:
R: “Never, in any way, leave the slightest impression upon human minds, that a taint of, or inclination to corruption rested upon Christ, or that He in any way yielded to corruption.”
T: No she's not. She's clarifying her thought by saying the same thing again, something she did all the time.

You are equalling inclination to sin with yielding to sin. Is this correct?

Quote:
Regarding "Adoptionism" in wiki, the "sinless devotion" is referring to his passing this test, not the idea that Christ never sinned as a child.

I see none of your sources said that Christ sinned. Sure the fact that He passed the test was the factor which made it possible for Him to be adopted, but, as I’ve said, I’ve never seen a single heretic say that Christ sinned. Of course this would be a flagrant contradiction of the Bible, and the heretic would be shooting himself in his own foot. Besides, who would want a Saviour that sins?

Quote:
The fact that she uses two words in a negative sense does not imply the words are synonyms. It only means she was using them synonymously in the example of the comparison. This is correct, isn't it?

The words under question are always synonymous if used in the negative sense, that is, a sinful tendency = a sinful propensity.

Quote:
So you're saying that the sinful nature that Christ took was sinless?

I’m saying that his nature was sinful in the physical/intellectual aspect, but not in the moral/spiritual aspect. Christ had a spiritual nature, like all of us. Do you think His spiritual nature was sinful? Or do you think that we are born with a spiritual nature free from every taint of sin?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #109323
03/03/09 10:01 PM
03/03/09 10:01 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
While God sent His son "in the likeness of sinful flesh". It doesn't mean he had a sinful flesh.

Elle, I liked your summary.
I would like to add that the word likeness (homoioma) means “resemblance,” “likeness,” but this likeness does not necessarily mean perfect equality or identity.
For instance, in Rom. 1:23, an image resembles a man, a bird, an animal or a reptile, but it doesn’t breathe, it doesn’t think, it doesn’t move.
In Rev. 9:7, in appearance the locusts were like horses arrayed for battle, but the resemblance ends there.
Phil. 2:7 says Christ was born in the likeness of men, and He indeed partook of our flesh and blood, but He was more than a mere man.
In the same way, Christ came in the likeness of sinful flesh - He came in the form of man affected by sin; this doesn’t mean His mind and His character were affected by sin, like ours.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109325
03/03/09 10:20 PM
03/03/09 10:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Where? (on the list above)

R:Who said I had to restrict myself to your list?

I did. The point I made was in regards to the list I prepared.

Quote:
I referred to things that were contained in the main paragraph of the letter.

This is the paragraph that's being contested. She didn't limit her thoughts to that one paragraph, or, to what you actually use, a couple of sentences in that paragraph.

She continued her train of thought, and re-emphasized what she had said previously in the list I provided. If your idea were correct, she should have mentioned it when she reemphasized what she had been saying.

Quote:
No, I’m not splitting the paragraph, but emphasizing, within the paragraph, the contrast which does exist and which was perceived by other people besides me, like Arnold and Teresa.

If you split the paragraph, you break her train of thought, and get an idea which wasn't intending to communicate, which is evidenced by:

a.Considering the rest of the letter.
b.Considering what she herself wrote elsewhere.
c.Considering what her contemporaries understood to be her view.
d.Consider what was happening within Adventism at the time.

Quote:
What she says in the paragraph in question about Adam is that he “was created a pure, sinless being, without a taint of sin upon him,” not that he hadn't yet sinned when he was tempted. Although this is also true, it was not her emphasis.

That is was her emphasis is made clear by points 2, 4, 7, 8, and 9 on the list, where she reemphasized what she said.

Quote:
R: “Never, in any way, leave the slightest impression upon human minds, that a taint of, or inclination to corruption rested upon Christ, or that He in any way yielded to corruption.”
T: No she's not. She's clarifying her thought by saying the same thing again, something she did all the time.

You are equating inclination to sin with yielding to sin. Is this correct?

She said to not leave the slightest impression "that a taint of, or inclination to corruption rested upon Christ, or that He in any way yielded to corruption." Since she said elsewhere many times that Christ took our sinful, or fallen nature (or an equivalent expression), she could not have had that in reference, without contradicting herself. For an inclination of corruption to have rested upon Christ would have implied His yielding to corruption.

Quote:
I see none of your sources said that Christ sinned.

If Christ was born as a human being only, it's not surprising that He would have been considered to have sinned.

Quote:
Sure the fact that He passed the test was the factor which made it possible for Him to be adopted, but, as I’ve said, I’ve never seen a single heretic say that Christ sinned.

Probably Baker didn't either. He, based on Ellen White's comments, was probably using phrases that implied that, which Ellen White counseled him not to do.

Quote:
Of course this would be a flagrant contradiction of the Bible, and the heretic would be shooting himself in his own foot. Besides, who would want a Saviour that sins?

It looks like Baker was implying that Christ had sinned without out and out saying it, based on Ellen White's remarks.

Quote:
T:The fact that she uses two words in a negative sense does not imply the words are synonyms. It only means she was using them synonymously in the example of the comparison. This is correct, isn't it?

R:The words under question are always synonymous if used in the negative sense, that is, a sinful tendency = a sinful propensity.

This is correct, but what you said previously was that tendencies was synonymous with propensities. I pointed out that this is not true in Ellen White's writings, and that the way to disprove this would be to find a counterexample. Instead of this, which would have been a valid way of contesting my point, you preferred the above argument, which is invalid, because it doesn't prove what you had asserted, which is that the words were synonyms.

It makes no sense for you to be asserting that the words meant the same when used negatively, because that wasn't our point of contention.

Quote:
T:So you're saying that the sinful nature that Christ took was sinless?

R:I’m saying that his nature was sinful in the physical/intellectual aspect, but not in the moral/spiritual aspect.

This is wrong. His nature was not sinful in any way; it was sinless.

Quote:
Christ had a spiritual nature, like all of us. Do you think His spiritual nature was sinful? Or do you think that we are born with a spiritual nature free from every taint of sin?

I think Christ took upon His own sinless nature our sinful nature. I think He followed the law of heredity. I think Haskell was correct in asserting that the DA passage he cited referred to "fallen humanity, with all its tendencies."

In order for Christ to have accepted the working of the law of heredity, like every child of Adam, He had to receive those things from heredity which every child of Adam receives, or else what Ellen White said is meaningless.

A. T. Jones, Waggoner, Ellen White, Prescott; in short, everyone I know who spoke and wrote on the subject separated the aspects you are talking about. For example, Jones said, "Don't bring his mind into it." Ellen White wrote that Christ took our sinful nature *upon His own sinless nature*.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109327
03/03/09 10:33 PM
03/03/09 10:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding "in the likeness of sinful flesh," in Phil. 2:6 we read

Quote:
7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

So if we're going to conclude that Christ did not have sinful flesh because of the word "likeness," we should likewise conclude that Christ was not a man.

Here's another way of seeing that Christ had sinful flesh. In the sermon "The Word Became Flesh," Prescott wrote:

Quote:
But since the first Adam took his place, there has been a change, and humanity is sinful humanity. The power of righteousness has been lost. To redeem man from the place into which he had fallen, Jesus Christ comes, and takes the very flesh now borne by humanity; He comes in sinful flesh, and takes the case where Adam tried it and failed. He became, not a man, but He became flesh; He became human, and gathered all humanity unto Himself, embraced it in His own infinite mind, and stood as the representative of the whole human family.

Also this:

Quote:
He came to redeem the family, condemning sin in the flesh, uniting divinity with flesh of sin. Jesus Christ made the connection between God and man, that the divine spirit might rest upon humanity. He made the way for humanity.

He said similar things throughout the sermon, not surprising, since that's what the sermon was about.

Ellen White endorsed this specific sermon.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109368
03/04/09 12:12 PM
03/04/09 12:12 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Tom, I didn't read this whole thread, but are you saying that everything this man says because Ellen has suppose to have endorsed. Anyway what did she endorsed; all that he said? So now everything he says is authority? To me this is not a safe stand. I heard this very same logic and line from someone else here.

I challenge you to make our Bible the authority. Let's look what the Bible has to say about Christ's nature. I bet if I go down this thread and I do a count, I'll have a hard time finding anyone bringing Biblical support in this topic.

Blessings
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #109374
03/04/09 01:26 PM
03/04/09 01:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, I didn't read this whole thread, but are you saying that everything this man says because Ellen has suppose to have endorsed.

No, I said she endorsed a specific sermon, the theme of which was that Christ had sinful flesh. The man repeated this some 3 dozen times.

Quote:
In the evening Professor Prescott gave a most valuable lesson, precious as gold. The tent was full, and many stood outside. All seemed to be fascinated with the word, as he presented the truth in lines so new to those not of our faith. Truth was separated from error, and made, by the divine Spirit, to shine like precious jewels.(RH 1/7/96)

It's hard to imagine that the endorsement ("truth separated from error") would not, at a minimum, include the theme of the sermon!

Quote:
Anyway what did she endorsed; all that he said? So now everything he says is authority? To me this is not a safe stand. I heard this very same logic and line from someone else here.

She endorsed Prescott very strongly for a period of time. She endorsed, in particular, a specific sermon. From this it would be a bit much to conclude that "everything he says is authority," don't you think? On the other hand, given how she says the Holy Spirit was using him during this time, it should make one curious, I would think, as to what he was saying.

For example:

Quote:
Again and again in her report Ellen White mentioned the effectiveness of W. W. Prescott's meetings, stating that "the Lord . . . has given Brother Prescott a special message for the people," the truth coming from human lips in demonstration of the Spirit and power of God. Those attending, she said, exclaimed:You cannot appreciate the change of feeling about your meeting and work. It has been commonly reported that you do not believe in Christ. But we have never heard Christ preached as at these meetings. There is no life in our churches. Everything is cold and dry. We are starving for the Bread of Life. We come to this camp meeting because there is food here.--RH, Jan. 7, 1896.

At any rate, I was referring to a specific endorsement of a specific message.

Quote:
To me this is not a safe stand. I heard this very same logic and line from someone else here.

Not from me you haven't! I'd suggest you reread carefully what I said. It looks like you may not have been careful.

Quote:
I challenge you to make our Bible the authority. Let's look what the Bible has to say about Christ's nature. I bet if I go down this thread and I do a count, I'll have a hard time finding anyone bringing Biblical support in this topic.

People in this forum tend to be rely very strongly on the SOP. If you'd like to start a thread dealing with the humanity of Christ, using only Scripture, I'd be happy to participate.

I think it's also valuable to consider what the position on this subject has been within the Seventh-day Adventist church historically. That's something that's also been given short shrift.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109386
03/04/09 03:31 PM
03/04/09 03:31 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: You are equating inclination to sin with yielding to sin. Is this correct?

T: She said to not leave the slightest impression "that a taint of, or inclination to corruption rested upon Christ, or that He in any way yielded to corruption." Since she said elsewhere many times that Christ took our sinful, or fallen nature (or an equivalent expression), she could not have had that in reference, without contradicting herself. For an inclination of corruption to have rested upon Christ would have implied His yielding to corruption.

Since she said Christ was born without a taint of sin, she can’t be equating taint of sin with yielding to sin. Besides, in that letter she uses the word “propensity,” a synonym of “inclination” (since “inclination” is here used in the negative sense), to express something inherited – again, which can’t imply yielding to sin. Therefore, the two first items evidently express the same thought, while the third item adds a new thought.

Quote:
This is correct, but what you said previously was that tendencies was synonymous with propensities. I pointed out that this is not true in Ellen White's writings, and that the way to disprove this would be to find a counterexample. Instead of this, which would have been a valid way of contesting my point, you preferred the above argument, which is invalid, because it doesn't prove what you had asserted, which is that the words were synonyms. It makes no sense for you to be asserting that the words meant the same when used negatively, because that wasn't our point of contention.

The discussion had advanced, so I was replying to your most recent argument. This is what I said in view of what you had said:

Quote:
Quote:
T: Tendencies is neutral (can be used for either good or bad things) but propensities isn't (at least by EGW; only for bad things), so these terms are not completely interchangeable.

If the meaning of the word “propensity” was always negative, she wouldn’t need to add the adjective “evil” before it. Anyway, she added the word “evil” both before “propensity” (in the Baker letter) and before “tendencies” (in the letter to Kellogg). This means that she is using both words in a negative sense, and therefore they are synonymous.

I’ll let this subject rest.

Quote:
T:So you're saying that the sinful nature that Christ took was sinless?
R:I’m saying that his nature was sinful in the physical/intellectual aspect, but not in the moral/spiritual aspect.
T: This is wrong. His nature was not sinful in any way; it was sinless.

I’m evidently referring to His human nature (physical/intellectual aspect). Is it a sinless nature?

By the way, you didn’t answer my questions:

Quote:
Christ had a spiritual nature, like all of us. Do you think His spiritual nature was sinful? Or do you think that we are born with a spiritual nature free from every taint of sin?

Page 43 of 100 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!