HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,646
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, 1 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 45 of 100 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109468
03/06/09 03:17 PM
03/06/09 03:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
There is obviously no way propensities of disobedience cannot be a part of the moral/spiritual nature.

Then they must not be obtained by the law of heredity, since Christ accepted the workings of that law.

Quote:
That's why, IMO, Ellen White says in the Baker letter and other places that Christ did not have evil propensities (since His spiritual nature is free from every taint of sin).

That's fine, provided these propensities don't come from the law of heredity.

Quote:
However, these propensities are transmitted to us by our parents, so they are hereditary - even if not transmitted through genes.

If they aren't transmitted by genes, then that avoids contradicting the DA 49 statement and others. This would make Christ's situation dependent upon having God fearing parents then, right?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109504
03/07/09 02:48 AM
03/07/09 02:48 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
No. I just made an offhand comment to Rosangela's statement that "propensities" is synonymous with "tendencies." I pointed out that Ellen White did not use the terms completely interchangeably, that they were not, in her usage, totally synonymous, because she only used propensities in a negative sense.

And that's what I thought was a silly diversion into grammar. I didn't think R was making a sweeping statement about every EGW usage of "propensities" and "tendencies." Regardless of every other usage by EGW, they were synonymous in the context of the discussion. It was irrelevant, and seemed quite evasive, to bring up other contexts that were not being discussed.

Anyway, here's a post from way back...
No, it's not the only reasonable interpretation. There's a better, easier one, which doesn't necessitate striking out words.

She used the word "evil" here in the sense of "sinful," and these tendencies are the same genetic tendencies which we all have. This would fit with her other statements about Christ's taking our nature and following the law of heredity. It also agrees with Haskell's understanding of her writings, that Christ took fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations.

Note the phrase says "to which man is heir," which is speaking of heredity.

Something to bear in mind is that it's extremely unlikely that Haskell was incorrect in his assertion that the DA passage did not mean that Christ took fallen humanity with all its inclinations in the mind of Ellen White. This is because it virtually impossible that Ellen White would not have nipped this misunderstanding in the bud, had their been one. She was working with Haskell on the Holy Flesh issue at the time, and was against meeting error with unsound arguments. Nor is the idea credible that she would knowingly allow a prominent worker to so crudely misrepresent her.

Some points to consider:
1) It strikes me as odd that you disagree with striking out words in the sentence in question, since it makes no sense as is. One with such strong opinions on grammatical nuances such as yourself should have immediately noticed it.

2) You again bring up "genetic" concepts, which depend on cellular mutations. Your refusal to accept that sin causes cellular mutations should also lead to your refusal to credit genetics with inherited tendencies.

3) The phrase "to which man is heir" does not necessarily mean heredity in terms if what we receive at birth. An heir is one who receives some sort of inheritance. And many postlapsarians have argued that "inheritance" can happen well after birth; I think you have argued for that in the past. While I think that particular argument is weak in the context of the SOP quotes speaking of our spiritual inheritance from our parents, it is even weaker, IMO, to say that "to which man is heir" in our quote is definitely speaking of heredity, much less genetic heredity.

4) You point out that Haskell and EGW were battling the HF error at the time. Yet, the arguments they used are so often freely applied by postlapsarians to any and every situation re: the human nature of Christ. That's why I said in a previous post that modern postlapsarians seem to think that the HF error is prevalent today. But they fail to consider that the statements made to combat the HF, and strong statements they were, might have been meant to be taken in the context of the HF error, not to be universally applied for the history of mankind.

Here's an example: The error was called "Holy FLESH." When Haskell made statements about was Jesus had, he was probably talking about FLESH. And it is likely that EGW understood that, and agreed with it. But while some are still on that soapbox, I have not seen anyone in my lifetime argue that Jesus had holy FLESH, or that we will have holy FLESH this side of eternity.

But then, when we see statements that contrast our condition at birth with Christ's, which includes more than just FLESH, all these quotes made by Haskell, Jones, etc. to combat Holy FLESH are brought to bear. It is as if postlapsarians thought that people are born as nothing more than a mass of fallen FLESH - no mind, no spirit, no character. And that is one of my big disagreements with the postlapsarian paradigm of what constitutes humanity.

Your dictionary definitions from her time period was informative in seeing why she might do that.

Let's look at that definition of propensity:
Originally Posted By: http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/search/word,propensity

propensity
1. Bent of mind, natural or acquired; inclination; in a moral sense; disposition to any thing good or evil, particularly to evil; as a propensity to sin; the corrupt propensity of the will.

It requires critical nicety to find out the genius or propensions of a child.

2. Natural tendency; as the propension of bodies to a particular place.

Note that:

1) It is a "bent of mind." It's in the mind, not the body.

2) It is "natural or acquired." EGW would say "inherited or cultivated."

3) It is an "inclination" or "natural tendency." There is no mention of what one actually does, despite the claims that EGW meant it that way.

4) Is it a "disposition to any thing good or evil." Like "tendency," it can go either way, though it is usually used in the evil sense.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109506
03/07/09 02:55 AM
03/07/09 02:55 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
There is obviously no way propensities of disobedience cannot be a part of the moral/spiritual nature.

Then they must not be obtained by the law of heredity, since Christ accepted the workings of that law.

Quote:
That's why, IMO, Ellen White says in the Baker letter and other places that Christ did not have evil propensities (since His spiritual nature is free from every taint of sin).

That's fine, provided these propensities don't come from the law of heredity.

But that would destroy the assertion that the "great law of heredity" includes the spiritual influence of Christ's evil ancestors. They were murderers, adulterers, idolaters, but that doesn't mean that Jesus was born inclined to be any of these.

Quote:
However, these propensities are transmitted to us by our parents, so they are hereditary - even if not transmitted through genes.

If they aren't transmitted by genes, then that avoids contradicting the DA 49 statement and others. This would make Christ's situation dependent upon having God fearing parents then, right?

Good thing He had a holy mother, and an EXTREMELY holy Father. One feared God, the other was God.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #109507
03/07/09 02:57 AM
03/07/09 02:57 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela

Yes, inherited, but not necessarily through cellular mutations.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #109518
03/07/09 05:14 AM
03/07/09 05:14 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
2) You again bring up "genetic" concepts, which depend on cellular mutations. Your refusal to accept that sin causes cellular mutations should also lead to your refusal to credit genetics with inherited tendencies.

Are you suggesting that if you sin, that alters your genes and chromosomes, which you then pass on to your children? Would a person like Christ, who never sinned, if He had had any children, have passed on genes to his children with no tendencies to sin?

Quote:
4) You point out that Haskell and EGW were battling the HF error at the time. Yet, the arguments they used are so often freely applied by postlapsarians to any and every situation re: the human nature of Christ. That's why I said in a previous post that modern postlapsarians seem to think that the HF error is prevalent today. But they fail to consider that the statements made to combat the HF, and strong statements they were, might have been meant to be taken in the context of the HF error, not to be universally applied for the history of mankind.

What?

Quote:
Here's an example: The error was called "Holy FLESH." When Haskell made statements about was Jesus had, he was probably talking about FLESH. And it is likely that EGW understood that, and agreed with it. But while some are still on that soapbox, I have not seen anyone in my lifetime argue that Jesus had holy FLESH, or that we will have holy FLESH this side of eternity.

Here's what Haskell said (Reading from "The Desire of Ages.)

Quote:
[O]n pages 361, 362 [our present edition 311, 312]: "Christ is the ladder that Jacob saw, the base resting on the earth, and the topmost round reaching to the gate of heaven, to the very threshold of glory. If that ladder had failed by a single step of reaching by a single step of reaching the earth, we should have been lost. But Christ reaches us where we are. He took our nature and overcame, that we through taking his nature might overcome. Made ‘in the likeness of sinful flesh,’ he lived a sinless life. Now by his divinity he lays hold upon the throne of heaven, while by his humanity he reaches us."

This is fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations. He who was as spotless while on earth as when in heaven took our nature, that he might lift man to the exaltation of himself by his righteousness.

Do you agree with this?

Quote:
It is as if postlapsarians thought that people are born as nothing more than a mass of fallen FLESH - no mind, no spirit, no character. And that is one of my big disagreements with the postlapsarian paradigm of what constitutes humanity.

Who exactly are you disagreeing with? I'm speaking of contemporaries of Ellen White. Do you disagree with Haskell, Jones, Prescott, and Waggoner? Are you characterizing these as postlapsarians? How about Ellen White? Do you characterize her as a postlapsarian?

Quote:
3) It is an "inclination" or "natural tendency." There is no mention of what one actually does, despite the claims that EGW meant it that way.

Sure there is:

Quote:
He took upon Himself human nature, and was tempted in all points as human nature is tempted. He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity.

Christ could have sinned. He could have fallen. There are things one does.

Following we read:

Quote:
Not one occasion has been given in response to His manifold temptations. Not once did Christ step on Satan’s ground, to give him any advantage. Satan found nothing in Him to encourage his advances.

There are many instances in the Baker dealing with what Christ did.

Quote:
4) Is it a "disposition to any thing good or evil." Like "tendency," it can go either way, though it is usually used in the evil sense.

In the case of Ellen White, it can't go either way. It's always negative.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109519
03/07/09 05:16 AM
03/07/09 05:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
But that would destroy the assertion that the "great law of heredity" includes the spiritual influence of Christ's evil ancestors.

This wasn't asserted.

Quote:
They were murderers, adulterers, idolaters, but that doesn't mean that Jesus was born inclined to be any of these.

Why not? What do you think "the working of the great law of heredity, which is shown in the results of His earthly ancestors" means?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109520
03/07/09 05:19 AM
03/07/09 05:19 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, you complain a lot about what others say, and ask lots of questions, but don't present your own view. What is your view on the human nature of Christ? Was He genetically different than we are? I take it you don't believe Christ had any negative inclinations. Is this because you don't believe we have any negative inclinations genetically? Or is it because you don't believe Christ had the same genetic inclinations we have?

Do you disagree with what Jones and Waggoner said? With Prescott? If so, with what?

TIA for answering these questions.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109523
03/07/09 06:52 AM
03/07/09 06:52 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Agreed regarding the response. However, I don't think it's too surprising because I think a lot of disagreement is due to inaccuracy/lack of familiarity with the concepts involved, so there's a lot of talking past one another.

Yes, there's a lot of talking past each other.

Pre: But that would mean that He was morally damaged.
Pre: That's what I'm talking about.
Pre: EGW said....
Repeat until someone gets tired.

But once we finally agree on what the topic is, I find much common ground with postlapsarians.

However, there is still a major sticking point that only one postlapsarian I know has grasped (though he doesn't necessarily agree). Note this exchange:
Quote:
T:Therefore "our sinful nature" does not include the moral or spiritual nature.

R:Great! A point of agreement.

Of course. How could Jesus Christ have taken our fallen nature if this encompasses the moral and spiritual nature?

This means that the "fallen nature" that postlapsarians feel is so important to understand, and many spend their lives studying and teaching it, does not encompass the moral and spiritual nature. In light of the fact that we can only take our characters to the next life, I believe it is better to focus on that which addresses the needs of the moral and spiritual nature.

My previously-mentioned friend asked me if I believe that a last-generation movement to prepare a people with perfect characters, should NOT have Christ's fallen nature as a major focus (obviously referring to LGT). I said, "Yes." How can you perfect character by focusing on that which does not address the moral and spiritual nature?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109524
03/07/09 06:53 AM
03/07/09 06:53 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Arnold, you complain a lot about what others say, and ask lots of questions, but don't present your own view.

ROFL That's right.

But I did present my views on the old nature of Christ thread.

I'll answer these questions.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #109525
03/07/09 07:14 AM
03/07/09 07:14 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
But that would destroy the assertion that the "great law of heredity" includes the spiritual influence of Christ's evil ancestors.

This wasn't asserted.

If you didn't before, you just did in your next breath. See below.

Quote:
They were murderers, adulterers, idolaters, but that doesn't mean that Jesus was born inclined to be any of these.

Why not? What do you think "the working of the great law of heredity, which is shown in the results of His earthly ancestors" means?

Unless you believe that the impact of sin does not encompass the moral and spiritual nature, it is not part of the "heredity" you speak of.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 45 of 100 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:15 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:09 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!