HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,396 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 50 of 100 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109679
03/10/09 05:02 PM
03/10/09 05:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding 109616, OK and thank you.

Regarding 109617, she cites the same passages in DA 764. She's explaining the same event there, and citing the same Scripture. There's absolutely no doubt that DA 764 is discussing the destruction of the wicked. Therefore it has every bit as much right to be discussed and considered as the GC text.

We should do what she says, and take into account all that she has written on a subject.

Here's the key point. Her thinking on the subject did not change from the time she wrote the Desire of Ages comments to the GC comments. Indeed, there are chapters in the GC itself which have the same thoughts.

So the same person who wrote that God should not be considered as the executioner of the sentence of the wicked, that the principles of kindness, love and mercy, as well as loving one's enemy, that their destruction is for their own good, that their exclusion of the wicked is voluntary with themselves (all this from "The Great Controversy"), that the principles of cruelty are not involved; all these things, also wrote the GC 672 passage.

It's the same person. She cannot, without being schizophrenic, have one character in one place of the book and another elsewhere in the same book. The same way she believes God to be in chapter 1 is how she believes God to be in the last chapter.

The interpretation you are suggesting is one which it seems evident to me, based on many of her comments regarding God's character, but especially GC 535-536, would be one she would see as presenting God as cruel, according the caricatures of the enemy. For example:

Quote:
It is Satan's constant effort to misrepresent the character of God, the nature of sin, and the real issues at stake in the great controversy. His sophistry lessens the obligation of the divine law and gives men license to sin. At the same time he causes them to cherish false conceptions of God so that they regard Him with fear and hate rather than with love. The cruelty inherent in his own character is attributed to the Creator; it is embodied in systems of religion and expressed in modes of worship. Thus the minds of men are blinded, and Satan secures them as his agents to war against God.(GC 596)

So we have two issues here. One is, you are able to interpret a passage in way which I believe would have God acting out of character (immorally and cruelly). You apparently don't see the actions you are suggesting as being either of these things.

Secondly your methodology is suspect. You're trying to isolate a text and look at it without considering what else the author has written on the subject or anything else. This isn't how proper exegesis is done.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109682
03/10/09 06:38 PM
03/10/09 06:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
1. If sin, not God, punishes and kills sinners, why, then, do you think Satan is still alive?

T: For the reason that DA 764 states. Had God "left" Satan to reap the full results of his sin, he would have perished, but it would not have been apparent to the onlooking angels that his death was the inevitable result of sin. It took the cross to clarify this. Satan's death would have been misinterpreted as an arbitrary act of power on the part of God.

You didn’t answer the question. Who or what is keeping Satan alive if sin is what causes sinners to suffer and die?

Quote:
2. What do you think the loyal angels think about this reason as to why Satan is still alive?

T: I think they think God was right to act as He did, to allow things to play out so there would be no seed of doubt.

Are you talking about the angels who you claim were not secure until after the cross? Do you think they knew things would eventually play out favorably for God and unfavorably for Satan? If so, upon what did they base their belief?

Quote:
3. What do you think the loyal angels think will cause Satan to suffer and die at the end of time?

T: Death is the inevitable result of sin. The angels understand this. The cross made this clear. Christ was made to be sin for us and died as the result.

It sounds like you’re saying they think sin will cause Satan to suffer and die.

Quote:
4. When do you think the loyal angels understood how and why Satan will die at the end of time?

T: The cross made this clear. This is why EGW explained this in the chapter "It Is Finished," which is dealing with what the cross accomplished.

So, you’re saying they didn’t understand that sin will cause Satan to suffer and die until they watched Jesus suffer and die on the cross? Did they fear God as they watched sinners suffer and die throughout the OT? If not, why not?

Quote:
5. When do you think the loyal angels were ready for Satan to suffer and die for his sins?

T: At the cross.

It sounds like you think they were pretty much clueless regarding Satan, that they weren’t really sure he was deserving of death. But it also sounds like you think they were comfortable with sinners suffering and dying for their sins (when God employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction).

Quote:
6. Do you think there was ever a time before the cross that the loyal angels thought they were ready for Satan to suffer and die for his sins?

T: They may have thought they were ready, but they weren't until the cross.

You’ve said this before but so far you have been unable to show it in the Bible or the SOP.

Quote:
7. Do you think the loyal angels understood things well enough before the cross for Satan to suffer and die for his sins without fearing God forever thereafter?

T: According to the SOP, God did not leave Satan to reap the result of his sin to avoid causing a seed of doubt. I think it took the cross to remove the possibility of a seed of doubt arising.

It sounds like you think they were in limbo for 4,000 years not sure what causes death, not sure if Satan was wrong, hoping God was right. Such unknowns would, one would think, make heaven hell. It must have been terribly confusing for them in light of all the times God commanded them to, as you see it, stop preventing evil angels from harming or killing sinners. What do you think was going through their minds?

Quote:
M: It depends on the context, Tom. God will execute the death penalty. He will punish sinners, and they will suffer emotionally and physically like Jesus did. God is not, however, torturing or tormenting them.

T: Since you've changed your stance regarding flame engulfing the wicked, pending further clarification of what role you think the literal fire causes in their suffering, I won't comment further, as I'm not sure what your thinking is.

Do you think God was tormenting or torturing the Sodomites when He allowed fire to engulf them and kill them?

Quote:
M: In answer to your question – I don’t believe God will use literal fire to burn people alive for many days or many hours. Now, I have a question for you – Do you think God has ever employed the “withdraw and permit” method of punishment to allow literal fire to burn people alive? Please elaborate on your answer. Thank you.

T: I don't think a literal fire is going to burn people alive. I thought you were saying this too. I'm confused. Are you or are you not saying that a literal fire will burn people alive? You're saying not, right?

I've been arguing all along against this idea and I understood you to say that you changed your thinking due to me. So why are you asking me if I believe something which is the very thing I've been arguing against, and which, I understood you to say, caused you to change your mind?

The question is - Do you think God has ever employed the “withdraw and permit” method of punishment to allow literal fire to burn people alive? I am, of course, referring to the stories of fire killing sinners in the OT. And, yes, I do not see in the inspired descriptions sinners engulfed in flames at the end of time. True, the descriptions depict the planet as a molten, seething lake of fire, but it doesn’t show sinners engulfed in flames.

Quote:
1. Do you think it is accurate to say God can do no wrong?

T: Of course not. I don't understand why you'd ask a question like this.

Did you misread the question? I anticipated you saying, Of course God can do no wrong!

Quote:
2. And, do you think it is accurate to conclude that no matter how “strange” a certain act may seem to us, the fact God did it is proof it was right and righteous?

T: No, I don't think that's accurate. I think it's likely in this case that we're wrong in thinking that God did the certain act.

I had in mind your view of how and why death and destruction happens (i.e. the “withdraw and permit” method you advocate).

Quote:
3. For example, according to you, God has on several occasions withdrew His protection and permitted the pent up forces of nature to implode upon itself thus killing sinners in the process.

T: I've never said nature "implodes upon itself." I've said that the laws of nature are not self-acting (quoting Ellen White) and that God protects us. I've also said that if God withdraws, chaos results, which can happen in a number of different ways, including natural disasters. Of course, natural disasters can happen as a matter of course, due to things like conflicting air masses over moist water, and so forth.

I’ll rephrase the comment and ask a question. According to you, God has, from time to time, withdrawn His protection and permitted the pent up forces of nature to cause death and destruction. Are such results consistent with God’s character? Is it accurate to conclude the results are right and righteous because God permitted it to happen?

Quote:
M: Do you think these kinds of “strange acts” are consistent with the loving and merciful character of God, and that allowing sinners to die this way was right and righteous?

T: As they actually happen, yes. I think people can be confused about what's happening, and the confused idea would not necessarily be consistent with God's loving and merciful character.

What is an example of a confused idea?

Quote:
4. And, do you think it is accurate to conclude that if God were to do such “strange acts” in the future that it would be right and righteous by virtue of the fact it is God who did it?

T: Who does something doesn't make it right or wrong. I think it's important that we understand the underlying principles of God's character and kingdom. Otherwise we may misinterpret what's happening. This is a very important point. Take, for example, the persecution of Christ. Those who were torturing and killing Christ interpreted events as God's being right and righteous when, in reality, these evil men were being wicked and unrighteous. So we need to get what's actually happening right. And this is dependent upon rightly understanding God's character and the principles of His kingdom.

Can we conclude that when God employs the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction to happen (as you advocate it) that it is right and righteous? For example, we know from inspired descriptions that the wicked will suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness on a planet engulfed in fire and then they will die and their bodies will be burned to ashes along with the rest of the rubble and rubbish of earth. Can we conclude that this scenario is right and righteous because God is the one who will permit things to play out in this fashion?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109683
03/10/09 07:06 PM
03/10/09 07:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
B:2. What does the phrase “Suffer the full penalty of sin in the fires” refer to – in the text above?

T:This was discussed previously as well.

B:Just not showing anything "in the text" of GC 672 for an answer.

T:I don't understand what you're saying. "Suffer the full penalty of sin in the fires" is something which has been explained at length. In this text it means the same thing as it does in other texts, assuming Ellen White isn't contradicting herself.

B:I see so "some suffering for many days" while others are consumed in an instant is an example of meeting out the full penalty of the law for each sin committed where some owe much and others do not owe as much.

Going on the principle that Ty articulated, that the punishment is organic to the sin itself, I see the full penalty for the sin being visited upon the sinner when he suffers the result of reaping the full result of that sin. That is, the punishment is not something artificial, like a physical fire, which has nothing to do with the sin, but is inherent to the sin, having to do with the pain of conscience, of remorse, of guilt, of regret, of separate and loss; things like that. This is what Christ refers to when He speaks of "weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Quote:
And owing much - results in suffering in the fire and brimstone lake of fire "for many days" for "some"?

More sin = more regret, more remorse, more guilt, more pain of conscience, etc. How much light one has enters into this as well.

Quote:
Just as the text says?

Yes, and just as it means.

Quote:
Do you mean "that consistency"?

I don't understand this question.

Quote:
T:So it doesn't matter if the principle of "suffer the full penalty of sin in the fires" is discussed in the context of this text or another text. The principle is the same.

B:On the contrary the "detail" of some suffering for many days while others being consumed in an instant is not referenced in even one of your 'preferred other texts' to look at other than GC 672-673. I think we all see that.

I suggest thinking of things as "principles" rather than "details." The principle being spoken of is one of proportional suffering. Now it's entirely logical and reasonable to suppose that one who sins more will suffer more, whether one accepts the organic concept or the arbitrary (or "manufactured") one.

So what is the mechanism which causes this suffering? If we look to Christ's death, we see that literal fire has not do with it. Also by looking at DA 107-108, GC 535-536;541-543, GC the first chapter, and DA 764, we see the idea of literal fire doesn't work. Only if you read GC 672 in a vacuum, with no concept of Ellen White's character, nor what she had written on this subject in other places, could you come to the conclusion that God will literally burn people alive to make them pay for their sins.

What kind of God would do that? Not One which Ellen White describes.

Quote:
The issue is that in it's buring of both the elements and the wicked - such that SOME of the wicked live and suffer on "for many days" in that "the very rocks are on fire" kinda fire -- as the means for "visiting the full penalty of the law" against each sin comitted, seems to be diametrically opposed to what you are proposing.

Yes, what you are suggesting is diametrically opposed to what I'm proposing, which is based on taking into consideration what God is actually like, in addition to other passages the author wrote dealing with the same subject, as she requested we do.

Quote:
Did I miss something in your argument?

I don't think you've caught the principle of considering all an author has written on a subject. Nor taking into consideration God's character.

Quote:
Lot's of details seem to be missing for you -- primarly that not once in all of Ellen White's statements or in the Bible do we EVER see "this is not a literal fire but a spiritual one" EVER stated - no not even once.

It's pretty obvious, Bob. I was referring to this passage:

Quote:
"I indeed baptize you in water unto repentance," said John; "but He that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire." not literal fire Matt. 3:11, R. V., margin. The prophet Isaiah had declared that the Lord would cleanse His people from their iniquities "by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning."not literal fire The word of the Lord to Israel was, "I will turn My hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin." Isa. 4:4; 1:25.not literal fire To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." not literal fireHeb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. not literal fireJacob, after his night of wrestling with the Angel, exclaimed, "I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." Gen. 32: 30. (DA 107)(red is mine)

Does she really have to say this is not a literal fire?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109684
03/10/09 07:39 PM
03/10/09 07:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Your view of the firelight of God's glory seems to assume unpardonable sinners are capable of comprehending His character to such a degree that it causes to them suffer unimaginable emotional agony and physical pain.

T: Here's what I think: “They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God.” Notice in particular the underlined part. "They would welcome destruction".

This insight does not justify your view as I stated it above. What makes you think God can do or be something that causes the wicked to suffer such unimaginable emotional and physical agony? Surely you don’t think they are naturally capable of suffering so without God being present. What causes them to suddenly suffer so?

Quote:
M: But the Bible says, "Spiritual things are spiritually discerned." The expression, "He that hath an ear, let him hear," implies the eye salve of spiritual discernment is necessary to comprehend the deep things of God. It wasn't the character of Christ that caused sinners to fear and quiver in His presence; it was divinity flashing through humanity.

T: That's what divinity flashing through humanity is, as I explained. I explained how this could be seen as well by comparing DA 108 with the description of the cleansing of the temple.

This idea seems to assume the character of Jesus did not cause sinners to fear for their lives (unless divinity was flashing through humanity). How do you explain this? Also, you seem to be assuming the literal light that accompanied the flashing forth of divinity played no part in the fear they felt. Why?

Quote:
M: You seem to think comprehending His character is what forces sinners to fear for their lives. Please explain to me how you think God makes their dark and unpardonable minds to comprehend the things they were not naturally able to do so previously?

T: See GC 541-543 above.

Nothing in that passage explained it. It simply said they would welcome death because they wouldn’t feel good in heaven. It doesn’t explain how or why they will feel the way they will while suffering in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness on a planet engulfed in fire.

Quote:
M: I have modified your summary of my view to agree with what I actually believe: The firelight of God's glory causes the wicked to fear God and to somehow suffer emotionally in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness.

T: You don't see that this firelight has anything to do with God's character? Even though we're told that the glory of God is His character, and the very next sentence after the statement that the "light of the glory of God will destroy them" speaks of "Christ, the revealer of God's character"?

According to you, the radiant firelight emanating from God is His character. If character causes God to glow, why, then, didn’t Jesus glow? Or, did He? I’m talking about literally glowing like the sun, moon, and stars glow. Or, do you think the radiant firelight emanating from God is symbolic of His character and that it isn’t actually referring to literal light? Either way, literal or symbolic, what laws or dynamics are at work which results in God’s character traits and attributes causing unprotected sinners to suffer such unimaginable emotional and physical agony?

Quote:
M: Although we do not have enough inspired information to know just exactly how the wicked will suffer physically, but it seems reasonable to conclude that literal fire will play a part in it.

T: This is pretty vague. It sounds like you're saying you don't know.

I am reasonably certain the fire engulfing the planet will contribute to the physical pain the wicked will suffer at the end of time. I don’t see how it can’t, unless, of course, God shields them somehow like He did in the case of the three Hebrew worthies.

Quote:
M: Do you agree with how I labeled the other passages posted above? Also, what is it about the following two passages that make you think they are describing primarily a symbolic fire:

T: DA 108 says this:

Quote:
At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence.

The "brightness of His coming" is "the light of the glory of God" which "imparts life to the righteous." Since literal fire does not impart life to the rightness, the fire cannot be literal. Similarly for post 8, since it's dealing with the same event.

It’s firelight, not fire. There is a difference. For example, sunlight is firelight, not fire; nevertheless, if channeled through a magnifying glass it can cause things to ignite and burn up. The same firelight that hardens clay melts wax. The difference is the substance upon which the firelight shines. In the same way, sinless flesh (skin) thrives in the presence of the radiant firelight emanating from God, whereas, sinful flesh (skin) suffers and turns to ashes (unless, of course, God regulates it). "But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed."

You didn’t answer my question if you agree with how I labeled the other passages.

Quote:
M: Do you think you know when fire in a vision is literal and symbolic? If so, please explain what criteria you use to determine when a vision is describing literal fire and symbolic fire. Thank you.

T: I compare the vision with other things written which deal with the same subject.

This is vague. From what I’ve read so far you force everything to agree with your view of how God metes out justice and judgment. You also seem to assume the radiant firelight emanating from God does not have a negative physical effect on sinful flesh (skin). Your method is not objective. It does not allow for the possibility different sources and effects of fire are being described. You seem to assume all the different sources and effects of fire symbolize the same thing, namely, the character of God. I'm talking specifically about the fire that results in sinners suffering emotionally and physically (as opposed to the fire that burns the rubble and rubbish of earth to ashes which you agree with me is literal fire).

Quote:
PS - Do you know which passages describe literal fire burning deceased sinners to ashes at the end of time? If so, please post them.

T: Mal. 3 is one.

Are you referring to the following passages? If so, please explain.

3:1 Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.
3:2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he [is] like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:
3:3 And he shall sit [as] a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.
3:4 Then shall the offering of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto the LORD, as in the days of old, and as in former years.

BTW, do you think the following passage is describing literal fire?

Zechariah
14:12 And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109685
03/10/09 07:41 PM
03/10/09 07:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I'm bumping this up for your convenience:

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Tom, these are the facts {EW 294.1}:

1. Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action.

2. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together.

3. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer.

4. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body.

5. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained.

6. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon."

Please explain why you think each one of these facts are literal or symbolic.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109686
03/10/09 07:45 PM
03/10/09 07:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them."

Tom, please explain to me how the righteous traits and attributes of God's character destroys sin. Is sin a substance that can be destroyed or caused to feel emotional or physical agony? Will sin turn to ashes?

Last edited by Mountain Man; 03/10/09 07:46 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109689
03/10/09 09:12 PM
03/10/09 09:12 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Yes, divinity flashing through humanity caused people to fear and feel guilty. It has the same effect on evil angels. Are you saying it was the contrast between their sinfulness and Jesus’ sinlessness that caused them to fear and feel guilty?

Not exactly, but you could put it that way. It was the revelation of God's character. God's goodness made clear their malignity.

Quote:
Also, my point is that it didn’t happen when divinity wasn’t flashing through humanity. True, sinners felt uneasy around Jesus, but His presence didn’t cause them to fear for their lives.

Sure, Jesus shrouded God's glory. He had to. He was like the burning bush, where God's glory was encapsulated in a way which could be beheld. His whole purpose was to reveal God, so this was necessary. However, at times, divinity flashed through humanity, which was a sharper revelation of God's glory (character).

Quote:
What is it about the radiant firelight of God’s glory that flashed through Jesus’ humanity from time to time that caused sinners to comprehend the terrifying contrast between their sinfulness and Jesus’ sinlessness and caused them to fear for their lives?

It was God's character. As the SOP description points out, they feared they were in the presence of One who could read their innermost thoughts; their secrets were laid open. It was like when Jesus wrote with His finger in the sand, and everyone left. Jesus spoke of this point in John 3:

Quote:
19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Quote:
Why weren’t sinners capable of this kind of comprehension when divinity wasn’t flashing through humanity? What laws or dynamics were at work?

The glory of God was shrouded.

Quote:
T: I think they are. I think a large weakness in many of the positions you hold is that they're logical, not even to you. This should lead you to theories which are logical. That's the hope, anyway.

M:In reality you are criticizing my view of the truth, which I take as an attack against me personally.

It's right and proper to criticize positions we hold to be false. You do it all the time, as does everyone else in the forum.

Quote:
So please be careful. Thank you. Surely you can share the truth as you see it without having to condemn and criticize me or my view of the truth.

I am careful. I reread my posts, looking more than anything else at the tone. It's difficult not to make mistakes, especially when someone is critical of you (I'm not speaking of you here, just saying in general). Usually I make a first pass, where I just try to write what's on my mind, to get the thoughts flowing. Then I go back and prune things, taking into account that in a written medium things will seem sharper than they would in person, where you can hear a person's voice or read their body language.

This doesn't mean I don't goof, of course. If you point out something which looks out of order, I'll correct that. Or, often, if you just say you don't like something, I'll abide by your wishes. However, not criticizing a position you hold which I view is wrong is just business as normal, something you yourself, and every other participant on this forum does.

In this particular case, you often say things like "I don't know why" or "This doesn't make sense" or "This isn't valid" or "God has His reasons why" or something similar, which indicates a lack of understanding. If you hold to a position that you have no understanding of, you should seriously consider abandoning the position, as there is a high likelihood that it is wrong. This is where common sense comes in, which is one of the methods God uses to communicate with us. If something doesn't seem right, it may well not be right.

Now the fact that one holds a position that one has no understanding of does not mean it has to be wrong; it could just be that one is lacking understanding. If this is the case, one should obtain understanding. In topics like the death of Christ, we have so much light, there's no reason to not understand why Jesus died.

This doesn't mean we need to understand everything about it, as it's a subject which will continued to be studied through eternity, but we should know something of the general principles involved, meaning not just facts, but be able to reason through things, from cause to effect.

Quote:
Yes, the glory of God includes His character, but it also includes the firelight of His radiance.

Nothing from inspiration says this. Inspiration says "the glory of God is His character."

Quote:
A literal light emanates from God that has a physical effect, for weal or woe, on those around Him. I’m glad you acknowledge this point. And I’m sure you’ll agree that the reflected light emanating from Moses skin was not nearly as intense or powerful as the Source. The point is the radiant firelight emanating from God has a negative physical effect on sinful flesh (skin), namely, it causes it burn.

???

Quote:
This point does not ignore the fact it also causes sinners to comprehend the terrifying contrast between their sinfulness and God’s sinlessness. Both points are true. Do you agree?

I don't know why you think God's glory causes sinful flesh to burn. I agree with the other point, a point which would be have a negative impact on one's physical being, but I don't know about causing flesh to burn.

Quote:
Pretend for a moment that these kinds of DA insights are failing to convince me that sin alone is what causes sinners to suffer and die at the end of time. With this in mind, please rely on passages that plainly say, “Sin alone will cause sinners to suffer and die at the end of time when God withdraws His protection and permits sin to run its natural course.

MM, it wouldn't do any good, even if there were a passage which said exactly this. When we were discussing the fall of Satan, you argued that Satan hadn't sinned, I said the following:

Quote:
MM, you ask for me to show you one quote where she labels it as sin. I don't see how this would make any difference. I've already shown you quotes which say the exact opposite of what you say, and it has no impact on your thinking.

For example, I presented this quote:

The fall of our first parents, with all the woe that has resulted, he charges upon the Creator, leading men to look upon God as the author of sin, and suffering, and death. (DA 24)

to show you were wrong to consider God to be the author of sin, and you simply responded that EGW had a different idea of "author of sin" than you did.

In this current dialog, you have a different idea of what "repentance" and "pardon" means. Why wouldn't you have a different idea of what "sin" means?

And this is indeed what happened. You were presented with a passage referring to the "sin" of Satan, and you replied

Quote:
The SOP quote you are referring to employs the word “sin” in a different sense.

So this request rings hollow.

The statement says that had God left Satan to reap the result of his sin, he would have died, but it would not have been understood that his death was "the inevitable result of sin."

Now how can this possibly be understood in any other way than that Satan's sin causes his death?

Quote:
1. When is it true that “the inevitable result of sin is death”? When God stops doing something?

According to the passage cited, when God leaves the guilty party to reap the result of his sin.

Quote:
2. Are you saying God will punish sinners by withdrawing His protection and permitting sin to run its natural course which thereby kills them in the process?

No. Look at DA 107, 108; also DA 764. That's what I'm saying.

Quote:

3. How will sin cause sinners to suffer and die? What laws or dynamic will be at work?

Again, see the DA quotes. I've also quoted from Ty Gibson at length. I like his thoughts on this subject. I can repost it if you like.

I've also mentioned DA chapter 1 in this context. This speaks of how self-sacrificing love is the law of life for the universe. This is contrasted with selfishness, which the essence of sin, which leads to death.

Now let's assume, for the sake of argument, that sin didn't lead to death. Then that would mean it would be possible for one to live by being selfish. But that's impossible. Selfishness can not support life.

Quote:
4. In your algebraic formula above what do A and B symbolize?

It's not an algebraic formula, just shorthand. A is sin, B is death.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109691
03/10/09 11:23 PM
03/10/09 11:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:5. When do you think the loyal angels were ready for Satan to suffer and die for his sins?

T: At the cross.

M:It sounds like you think they were pretty much clueless regarding Satan,

You've misrepresented my thinking on this quite a number of times, and each time I've corrected you. At least half a dozen times.

Quote:
that they weren’t really sure he was deserving of death. But it also sounds like you think they were comfortable with sinners suffering and dying for their sins (when God employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction).

Again, I've quoted the following many, many times, probably over 100.

Quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

This is what I think. Just what it says. Had God left Satan to reap the full result of sin, he would have died; but it would not have appeared to the angels that this was "the inevitable result of sin."

Quote:
6. Do you think there was ever a time before the cross that the loyal angels thought they were ready for Satan to suffer and die for his sins?

T: They may have thought they were ready, but they weren't until the cross.

M:You’ve said this before but so far you have been unable to show it in the Bible or the SOP.

Many times I've quoted from the chapter "It Is Finished." DA 764 is the clearest place I know which speaks of this, although the first couple of paragraphs of this chapter also do. The part of DA 764 I quoted above speaks to this.

Quote:
T: According to the SOP, God did not leave Satan to reap the result of his sin to avoid causing a seed of doubt. I think it took the cross to remove the possibility of a seed of doubt arising.

M:It sounds like you think they were in limbo for 4,000 years not sure what causes death, not sure if Satan was wrong, hoping God was right. Such unknowns would, one would think, make heaven hell. It must have been terribly confusing for them in light of all the times God commanded them to, as you see it, stop preventing evil angels from harming or killing sinners. What do you think was going through their minds?

You think Ellen White thought they were in limbo for 4,000 years not sure what causes death, not sure if Satan was wrong, hoping God was right? I just quoted from her, right? So if you think it sounds like this is what I think, you must think this sounds like what she thinks too. Otherwise, please tell me how:

Quote:
According to the SOP, God did not leave Satan to reap the result of his sin to avoid causing a seed of doubt. I think it took the cross to remove the possibility of a seed of doubt arising.

differs from what I quoted above.

Quote:
M: It depends on the context, Tom. God will execute the death penalty. He will punish sinners, and they will suffer emotionally and physically like Jesus did. God is not, however, torturing or tormenting them.

T: Since you've changed your stance regarding flame engulfing the wicked, pending further clarification of what role you think the literal fire causes in their suffering, I won't comment further, as I'm not sure what your thinking is.

M:Do you think God was tormenting or torturing the Sodomites when He allowed fire to engulf them and kill them?

This sure doesn't help clarify your thinking. You already know what I think. I haven't changed my mind on this. You have. Please let me know how your thinking has changed.

Quote:
T: I don't think a literal fire is going to burn people alive. I thought you were saying this too. I'm confused. Are you or are you not saying that a literal fire will burn people alive? You're saying not, right?

I've been arguing all along against this idea and I understood you to say that you changed your thinking due to me. So why are you asking me if I believe something which is the very thing I've been arguing against, and which, I understood you to say, caused you to change your mind?

M:The question is - Do you think God has ever employed the “withdraw and permit” method of punishment to allow literal fire to burn people alive? I am, of course, referring to the stories of fire killing sinners in the OT. And, yes, I do not see in the inspired descriptions sinners engulfed in flames at the end of time. True, the descriptions depict the planet as a molten, seething lake of fire, but it doesn’t show sinners engulfed in flames.

I've never spoken of a "'withdraw and permit' method of punishment." I've pointed this out several times, and pointed out why not. Again, I've explained my thinking on this many, many times, and my point of view hasn't changed. Yours has. I'm trying to understand how.

I'm glad you don't see sinners as being engulfed in flames. Very glad.

Quote:
M:2. And, do you think it is accurate to conclude that no matter how “strange” a certain act may seem to us, the fact God did it is proof it was right and righteous?

T: No, I don't think that's accurate. I think it's likely in this case that we're wrong in thinking that God did the certain act.

M:I had in mind your view of how and why death and destruction happens (i.e. the “withdraw and permit” method you advocate).

This is from Scripture:

Quote:
17Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God is not among us? (Deut. 31)

This is what I've advocating.

1.God's anger is kindled when people choose sin over Him.
2.God hides His face (forsakes/departs).
3.Many evil and troubles come as a result.
4.These evils come because God is not among them.

If you want to label this something, you can call it "The Deut. 31 method."

Quote:
I’ll rephrase the comment and ask a question. According to you, God has, from time to time, withdrawn His protection and permitted the pent up forces of nature to cause death and destruction.

Yes. These are examples of the "many evils and troubles" that come as a result of God's "hiding His face."

Quote:
Are such results consistent with God’s character?

No. The results aren't, but God's actions are consistent with His character.

Quote:
Is it accurate to conclude the results are right and righteous because God permitted it to happen?

No, not at all. The results of sin are wrong and unrighteous. However, God's actions are right and righteous.

Quote:
M: Do you think these kinds of “strange acts” are consistent with the loving and merciful character of God, and that allowing sinners to die this way was right and righteous?

T: As they actually happen, yes. I think people can be confused about what's happening, and the confused idea would not necessarily be consistent with God's loving and merciful character.

M:What is an example of a confused idea?

The idea you used to have of sinners being engulfed by flames is an example.

Quote:
Can we conclude that when God employs the “withdraw and permit” method

The "Deut. 31" method.

"of allowing death and destruction to happen (as you advocate it) that it is right and righteous?[/quote]

If you're referring to what God does, yes.

Quote:
For example, we know from inspired descriptions that the wicked will suffer in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness

This is right and just. Given that punishment is organic to sin (since you're asking about what I advocate, and I advocate this), it makes perfect sense that people would suffer in proportion to their sinfulness; in fact, this is the only thing that makes sense (assuming "sinfulness" equates to light rejected and sin knowingly performed).

Quote:
on a planet engulfed in fire and then they will die and their bodies will be burned to ashes along with the rest of the rubble and rubbish of earth. Can we conclude that this scenario is right and righteous because God is the one who will permit things to play out in this fashion?

I think this is misleading. A thing isn't caused to be right or righteous because God allows it to happen. There's no cause and effect here. Also God often allows evil and unrighteous things to happen, and it would be a big mistake to call something like the crucifixion of Christ or the holocaust a righteous thing because God allowed it to happen.

I agree with the idea that the scenario that plays out is a right thing, but not for the reason given.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109692
03/10/09 11:32 PM
03/10/09 11:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
What makes you think God can do or be something that causes the wicked to suffer such unimaginable emotional and physical agony? Surely you don’t think they are naturally capable of suffering so without God being present. What causes them to suddenly suffer so?

I don't think this is something God "does." I think it is something God saves the wicked from, as long as possible. I think without God, suffering would be intolerable. All good things come from God. Without God, there would be only wretchedness, selfishness, misery. God is not the cause of misery; selfishness is.

Quote:
This idea seems to assume the character of Jesus did not cause sinners to fear for their lives (unless divinity was flashing through humanity). How do you explain this? Also, you seem to be assuming the literal light that accompanied the flashing forth of divinity played no part in the fear they felt. Why?

God in Christ shrouded His glory. What literal light? You mean this?:

Quote:
His eye sweeps over the multitude, taking in every individual. His form seems to rise above them in commanding dignity, and a divine light illuminates His countenance.(DA 158)

I think this "divine light" did have a play in their fear, but this is not a literal light. Do a search on "divine light" in the SOP and see how she uses this term.

Quote:
M: You seem to think comprehending His character is what forces sinners to fear for their lives. Please explain to me how you think God makes their dark and unpardonable minds to comprehend the things they were not naturally able to do so previously?

T: See GC 541-543 above.

M:Nothing in that passage explained it. It simply said they would welcome death because they wouldn’t feel good in heaven. It doesn’t explain how or why they will feel the way they will while suffering in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness on a planet engulfed in fire.

We disagree on this. I'm glad you didn't write the passage if this is all you see in it.

Quote:
I am reasonably certain the fire engulfing the planet will contribute to the physical pain the wicked will suffer at the end of time. I don’t see how it can’t, unless, of course, God shields them somehow like He did in the case of the three Hebrew worthies.

So they'll feel hot, like in the desert? Something like that?

Quote:
It’s firelight, not fire. There is a difference. For example, sunlight is firelight, not fire; nevertheless, if channeled through a magnifying glass it can cause things to ignite and burn up. The same firelight that hardens clay melts wax. The difference is the substance upon which the firelight shines. In the same way, sinless flesh (skin) thrives in the presence of the radiant firelight emanating from God, whereas, sinful flesh (skin) suffers and turns to ashes (unless, of course, God regulates it). "But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed."

You didn’t answer my question if you agree with how I labeled the other passages.

What other passages?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109694
03/10/09 11:39 PM
03/10/09 11:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Please explain why you think each one of these facts are literal or symbolic.

1. Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action.

I don't see how this could be symbolic. What would it be symbolic of?

Quote:
2. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together.

Comparing this with other passages, such as DA 107-108 and DA 764, this would have to be symbolic (or the other passages would be wrong). Plus it would be consistent with God's character.

Quote:
3. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer.

This makes perfect sense, as I've explained. If punishment is organic to sin, it has to be this way.

Quote:
4. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body.

Yes, same as 3.

Quote:
5. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained.

This is symbolic. The thought is the same as 3 and 4. A "portion of them unconsumed" is clearly symbolic. What would the alternative be? If the fire burned a portion of them, it couldn't be the part with the brain, as they wouldn't able to suffer without a brain. So their limbs? What? It doesn't make any sense to interpret this literally. She's describing what she literally saw, but the meaning isn't literal.

Quote:
6. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon."

Same as 5. Clearly symbolic.

Page 50 of 100 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!