HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,637
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,301 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 30 of 36 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #109555
03/08/09 12:32 AM
03/08/09 12:32 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Do you think obeying Him because He said so constitutes slavish obedience?

Does this mean, "Do you think obeying Him only because He said so constitutes slavish obedience?

Quote:
Do you think He must give us sufficient evidence to obey a particular command every time He commands us to obey Him? Or, once we learn to love and trust Him, can He command us to obey a particular command without having to explain to us the reasons why? Would such obedience be slavish?

Given your hypothesis, wouldn't we already understand something about why we're doing what we're doing? Remember what we're discussing is the issue of obeying God without *any* understanding of why we're doing what we're doing. Not without "understanding everything about it," but "nothing about it." So let's be clear about that.

From "Steps to Christ"

Quote:
God never asks us to believe, without giving sufficient evidence upon which to base our faith.(SC 105)

It seems clear to me this answers your question. No, God never does this, is the answer.

Quote:
M: Post one place where He actually called them slaves. Nowhere in the NT did He ever call them slaves.

T: John 15:15 says "no longer do I call you slaves" (or "servants"), so there's a passage. If He's "no longer" calling them "slaves" (or "servants") then He was up until that point.

M:Are you telling me this is the only record we have of Jesus calling them slaves?

MM, please quit doing this. You're brighter than this.

You asked me to "post one place ..." so I respond with a passage. Now you ask, "Are you telling me this is the only record we have of Jesus calling them slaves?"

Of course I'm not telling you this. Why would you conclude such a thing from a conversation that goes like this:

M:Post one place which says blah.
T:Ok, here's a place which says blah.
M:Are you telling me this is the only place that says "blah"?

Quote:
M: BTW, do you make a distinction between slaves and servants?

T: The Greek had one word for both English words.

MM:Do this mean you think the two different words mean the same thing in the NT?

This is an illogical question. There's only one word in the language in which the NT was written, not two. Translators have used different words to express the meaning of the one word, but there's only one word in the NT, not two. If you're asking if this one Greek word can express the meaning of two English words, the answer is yes.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #109557
03/08/09 12:52 AM
03/08/09 12:52 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Amen! This elevates the status of servant. BTW, would you feel comfortable referring to God as the Slave of slaves?

This brings up a rather interesting question. In the original language, there was only one word. So when Jesus spoke of "servant" this could mean either "slave" or "servant." In English, "slave" has a much more negative connotation than "servant." So we would tend to give the most positive meaning to the words of Jesus, and interpret His radical statement that He was a servant to a more exalted status, to take some of the edge off what He said. We like to do this to protect ourselves.

I hadn't thought about this before, until your asking this, but given how radical Jesus was in saying such things, I think "slave of slaves" captures what He said more accurately. Just consider what He did when He washed His disciples feet.

On the other hand, there's an implication of voluntary service which may be implied. If we understand "slave" to mean "involuntary service" then this is another matter. That wouldn't apply at all.

Quote:
M:Do you think they stopped being servants because Jesus called them friends?

This is besides the point. The point in John 15:15 is that Jesus calls us "not servants (or slaves), but friends" on the basis of having revealed things regarding God to us.

Quote:
BTW, throughout the Gospels Jesus called many people friend, did it mean they knew everything He knew because He called them friends?

No, this is besides the point too. Jesus called these people "friend" because He loved them.

Quote:
M:Are you a servant of the Lord?

Regarding myself, I wouldn't wish to make any claims, but let the Lord take care of that. I prefer to speak of Him.

Regarding the others, who referred to themselves as servants, this isn't something which should be done lightly. However, all of those you named proved their devotion to Christ, many being martyrs, all giving all they had for Christ, which is the spirit of servanthood, the same spirit God has, who has given all He has for us.

Quote:
Do you think they referred to themselves as servants because they lacked enough information to consider themselves friends?

No.

You keep jumping around, MM. We're jumping all over the place, dealing with different concepts.

Let's make this simple. When Jesus said, "I no longer call you servants but friends ..." do you not think He was wishing to communicate something positive? If so, what was that positive thing He was wishing to communicate? Why do you think this was contingent upon His having told them all things He had heard from the Father?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #109605
03/09/09 01:22 AM
03/09/09 01:22 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Do you think obeying Him because He said so constitutes slavish obedience?

T: Does this mean, "Do you think obeying Him only because He said so constitutes slavish obedience?

I'll rephrase the question. Do you think obeying Him based solely on a "Thus saith the Lord" constitutes slavish obedience? For example, Go sacrifice your son.

Quote:
M: Do you think He must give us sufficient evidence to obey a particular command every time He commands us to obey Him? Or, once we learn to love and trust Him, can He command us to obey a particular command without having to explain to us the reasons why? Would such obedience be slavish?

T: Given your hypothesis, wouldn't we already understand something about why we're doing what we're doing? Remember what we're discussing is the issue of obeying God without *any* understanding of why we're doing what we're doing. Not without "understanding everything about it," but "nothing about it." So let's be clear about that.

From "Steps to Christ". God never asks us to believe, without giving sufficient evidence upon which to base our faith. (SC 105) It seems clear to me this answers your question. No, God never does this, is the answer.

My question doesn't concern faith and belief. It has to do with commands and obedience. I'll rephrase the question. Do you think God has ever commanded anyone to obey Him without telling them the reasons why? Would such obedience be slavish?

Quote:
M: Post one place where He actually called them slaves. Nowhere in the NT did He ever call them slaves.

T: John 15:15 says "no longer do I call you slaves" (or "servants"), so there's a passage. If He's "no longer" calling them "slaves" (or "servants") then He was up until that point.

M:A re you telling me this is the only record we have of Jesus calling them slaves?

T: MM, please quit doing this. You're brighter than this. You asked me to "post one place ..." so I respond with a passage. Now you ask, "Are you telling me this is the only record we have of Jesus calling them slaves?" Of course I'm not telling you this. Why would you conclude such a thing from a conversation that goes like this:

M:Post one place which says blah.
T:Ok, here's a place which says blah.
M:Are you telling me this is the only place that says "blah"?

Tom, the passage you posted is what prompted me to ask the question. Why would you repost the same passage that prompted the question in the first place? It may or may not mean Jesus used to call them servants. Asking for a passage where Jesus actually called them servants is a reasonable request. Since there is no record of Jesus ever calling them servants, I am led to conclude that "Henceforth I call you not servants" is not an indication that He used to call them servants. The fact He is speaking about what He will not do in the future, namely, call them servants, simply means they need not worry about it.

Quote:
M: BTW, do you make a distinction between slaves and servants?

T: The Greek had one word for both English words.

MM: Do this mean you think the two different words mean the same thing in the NT?

T: This is an illogical question. There's only one word in the language in which the NT was written, not two. Translators have used different words to express the meaning of the one word, but there's only one word in the NT, not two. If you're asking if this one Greek word can express the meaning of two English words, the answer is yes.

Wow! Is it ever tricky trying to ask you a question. You wrote, "The Greek had one word for both English words." From this comment I assumed you were talking about one Greek word and two English words. So naturally I asked, "Do this mean you think the two different words mean the same thing in the NT?" This question led you to assume I was saying there were two different Greek words. I'll try to be more clear in the future.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #109609
03/09/09 01:44 AM
03/09/09 01:44 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: On the other hand, there's an implication of voluntary service which may be implied. If we understand "slave" to mean "involuntary service" then this is another matter. That wouldn't apply at all.

Wouldn't this apply to the disciples as well? I mean, wasn't their service and devotion to Jesus voluntary? If so, how, then, can we say they were servants before they were friends?

Quote:
M: Do you think they stopped being servants because Jesus called them friends?

T: This is besides the point. The point in John 15:15 is that Jesus calls us "not servants (or slaves), but friends" on the basis of having revealed things regarding God to us.

Please answer the question anyhow. Thank you.

Quote:
M: BTW, throughout the Gospels Jesus called many people friend, did it mean they knew everything He knew because He called them friends?

T: No, this is besides the point too. Jesus called these people "friend" because He loved them.

Does it mean He doesn't love them if He calls them servant?

Quote:
M: Are you a servant of the Lord?

T: Regarding myself, I wouldn't wish to make any claims, but let the Lord take care of that. I prefer to speak of Him.

Are you a friend of Jesus?

Quote:
T: Regarding the others, who referred to themselves as servants, this isn't something which should be done lightly. However, all of those you named proved their devotion to Christ, many being martyrs, all giving all they had for Christ, which is the spirit of servanthood, the same spirit God has, who has given all He has for us.

M: Do you think they referred to themselves as servants because they lacked enough information to consider themselves friends?

T: No.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Quote:
T: You keep jumping around, MM. We're jumping all over the place, dealing with different concepts. Let's make this simple. When Jesus said, "I no longer call you servants but friends ..." do you not think He was wishing to communicate something positive? If so, what was that positive thing He was wishing to communicate? Why do you think this was contingent upon His having told them all things He had heard from the Father?

First of all, Jesus Himself said He didn't tell them everything He knew. Secondly, they didn't understand what He was trying to tell them. Lastly, there is no indication their status changed from servant to friend. They went on referring to themselves as the servants of the Lord. Not once did they ever refer to themselves as the friend of Jesus. Thus, you seem to be making something of John 15:15 that the disciples and apostles of Jesus didn't.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #109610
03/09/09 01:45 AM
03/09/09 01:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I'll rephrase the question. Do you think obeying Him based solely on a "Thus saith the Lord" constitutes slavish obedience? For example, Go sacrifice your son.

I don't think it's God's desire that we obey Him with no clue as to why.

Quote:
My question doesn't concern faith and belief. It has to do with commands and obedience.

So you don't think obedience has anything to do with faith and belief?!

Quote:
I'll rephrase the question. Do you think God has ever commanded anyone to obey Him without telling them the reasons why? Would such obedience be slavish?

I don't think God desires obedience based on ignorance. If we already have an understanding on some point, God wouldn't have to repeat it. An obedience without any understanding of what one is doing would be a slavish obedience.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #109611
03/09/09 01:54 AM
03/09/09 01:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

I don't think it's God's desire that we obey Him with no clue as to why.

Quote:
My question doesn't concern faith and belief. It has to do with commands and obedience.

So you don't think obedience has anything to do with faith and belief?!

Quote:
I'll rephrase the question. Do you think God has ever commanded anyone to obey Him without telling them the reasons why? Would such obedience be slavish?

I don't think God desires obedience based on ignorance. If we already have an understanding on some point, God wouldn't have to repeat it. An obedience without any understanding of what one is doing would be a slavish obedience.

Quote:
It may or may not mean Jesus used to call them servants. Asking for a passage where Jesus actually called them servants is a reasonable request.

Since Jesus said "no longer" did He call them servants, "but" he called them friends, this rules out the possibility that He did not call them servants.

Quote:
Since there is no record of Jesus ever calling them servants, I am led to conclude that "Henceforth I call you not servants" is not an indication that He used to call them servants.

I can think of at least one other place of the top of my head.

Quote:
The fact He is speaking about what He will not do in the future, namely, call them servants, simply means they need not worry about it.

What? Clearly Jesus point in saying He would no longer call them servants but friends because He had told them all things He had heard from His Father was communicating something which involved:

a.No longer being called servants.
b.Being called friends.
c.Being informed of things.

Quote:
T: This is an illogical question. There's only one word in the language in which the NT was written, not two. Translators have used different words to express the meaning of the one word, but there's only one word in the NT, not two. If you're asking if this one Greek word can express the meaning of two English words, the answer is yes.

Wow! Is it ever tricky trying to ask you a question. You wrote, "The Greek had one word for both English words." From this comment I assumed you were talking about one Greek word and two English words. So naturally I asked, "Do this mean you think the two different words mean the same thing in the NT?" This question led you to assume I was saying there were two different Greek words. I'll try to be more clear in the future.

Your question isn't very clearly phrased. After reading this, I think what you meant to ask is if I think the Greek word when translated by the two different words meant the same thing in the original both times it was translated differently. Is this what you're meaning? If so, it would depend on the case. If you want to post two specific instances, we could discuss it.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #109639
03/09/09 07:13 PM
03/09/09 07:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I'll rephrase the question. Do you think obeying Him based solely on a "Thus saith the Lord" constitutes slavish obedience? For example, Go sacrifice your son.

T: I don't think it's God's desire that we obey Him with no clue as to why.

Does trusting Him count as a clue? For example, "Go and sacrifice your son." The only clue is trusting God knows what He's doing.

Quote:
M: My question doesn't concern faith and belief. It has to do with commands and obedience.

T: So you don't think obedience has anything to do with faith and belief?!

In a root and fruit way, yes. IOW, in the same way faith and works are two sides of the same coin, so too, obeying God based solely on trust is not slavish.

Quote:
M: I'll rephrase the question. Do you think God has ever commanded anyone to obey Him without telling them the reasons why? Would such obedience be slavish?

T: I don't think God desires obedience based on ignorance. If we already have an understanding on some point, God wouldn't have to repeat it. An obedience without any understanding of what one is doing would be a slavish obedience.

Did Abraham render slavish obedience when he obeyed God to sacrifice his son? Please elaborate.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #109642
03/09/09 07:26 PM
03/09/09 07:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: It may or may not mean Jesus used to call them servants. Asking for a passage where Jesus actually called them servants is a reasonable request.

T: Since Jesus said "no longer" did He call them servants, "but" he called them friends, this rules out the possibility that He did not call them servants.

Again, there is no record of Jesus calling slaves or servants while He was here. Perhaps it is referring to the OT when He called them servants regularly.

Quote:
M: Since there is no record of Jesus ever calling them servants, I am led to conclude that "Henceforth I call you not servants" is not an indication that He used to call them servants.

T: I can think of at least one other place of the top of my head.

Please don't post it until after I repeatedly beg you to.

Quote:
M: The fact He is speaking about what He will not do in the future, namely, call them servants, simply means they need not worry about it.

T: What? Clearly Jesus point in saying He would no longer call them servants but friends because He had told them all things He had heard from His Father was communicating something which involved:

a.No longer being called servants.
b.Being called friends.
c.Being informed of things.

I am keying in on the word "henceforth". But I just found out that it can mean "no longer" which implies He used to call them servants.

Quote:

M: Wow! Is it ever tricky trying to ask you a question. You wrote, "The Greek had one word for both English words." From this comment I assumed you were talking about one Greek word and two English words. So naturally I asked, "Do this mean you think the two different words mean the same thing in the NT?" This question led you to assume I was saying there were two different Greek words. I'll try to be more clear in the future.

T: Your question isn't very clearly phrased. After reading this, I think what you meant to ask is if I think the Greek word when translated by the two different words meant the same thing in the original both times it was translated differently. Is this what you're meaning? If so, it would depend on the case. If you want to post two specific instances, we could discuss it.

The point is in the Greek there aren't two separate words for slave (involuntary service) and servant (voluntary service). So, how does the Greek language differentiate between the two?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #109643
03/09/09 07:28 PM
03/09/09 07:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - Tom, don't forget 109609. Thank you.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #109648
03/09/09 09:26 PM
03/09/09 09:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
First of all, Jesus Himself said He didn't tell them everything He knew. Secondly, they didn't understand what He was trying to tell them. Lastly, there is no indication their status changed from servant to friend. They went on referring to themselves as the servants of the Lord. Not once did they ever refer to themselves as the friend of Jesus. Thus, you seem to be making something of John 15:15 that the disciples and apostles of Jesus didn't.

MM, the point is very simple. Jesus said:

Quote:
5Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.(John 15:15)

He says:

1.Henceforth I call you not servants ...but I have called you friends.

and gives as the reason:

2. (servant)for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth ... (friend)for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

There's no need to go on and on trying to parse "friend" and "servant" and if Jesus said "friend" here or "servant" there or ever called His disciples "servants" or any of that. It's a very simply point; 1 and 2 above.

What do you think this means? What don't we discuss this?

Page 30 of 36 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!