HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,206 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 53 of 100 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109875
03/15/09 03:20 AM
03/15/09 03:20 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
How does "the glory of God . . . destroy sin"?

The glory of God is His character. The light of the glory of God is the revelation of that character. To know God is eternal life, to those who open their hearts to respond to the Holy Spirit. To those who have chosen to resist the Holy Spirit, the effect is the reverse.

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire.

GC 543 says the following:

Quote:
A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God.

DA 764 says:

Quote:
God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.

So, putting this altogether, it sounds like the wicked do not want to live, and God grants them their desire.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109879
03/15/09 03:33 AM
03/15/09 03:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
How does "the glory of God . . . destroy sin"?

The glory of God is His character. The light of the glory of God is the revelation of that character. To know God is eternal life, to those who open their hearts to respond to the Holy Spirit. To those who have chosen to resist the Holy Spirit, the effect is the reverse.

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire.

GC 543 says the following:

Quote:
A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God.

DA 764 says:

Quote:
God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.

So, putting this altogether, it sounds like the wicked do not want to live, and God grants them their desire.

Quote:
M: How will sin cause sinners to suffer and die? What laws or dynamic will be at work?

T: DA chapter 1 . . . speaks of how self-sacrificing love is the law of life for the universe. . . Selfishness can not support life.

M:You didn’t answer the question.

Yes, I did. Here's what I wrote.

Quote:
Again, see the DA quotes. I've also quoted from Ty Gibson at length. I like his thoughts on this subject. I can repost it if you like.

I've also mentioned DA chapter 1 in this context. This speaks of how self-sacrificing love is the law of life for the universe. This is contrasted with selfishness, which the essence of sin, which leads to death.

Now let's assume, for the sake of argument, that sin didn't lead to death. Then that would mean it would be possible for one to live by being selfish. But that's impossible. Selfishness can not support life.

The first paragraph directly addresses your question. The final paragraph brings out that it must be the case that sin results in death, because the alternative is not viable.

Quote:
Where does the following insight fit in? “To sin, wherever found, ‘our God is a consuming fire.’ Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. . . The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.”

This the same as "By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.(DA 764)," which I just discussed above.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109884
03/15/09 05:25 AM
03/15/09 05:25 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #109864, you wrote:

Quote:
M: It sounds like you think the angels were pretty much clueless regarding Satan, that they weren’t really sure he was deserving of death. But it also sounds like you think they were comfortable with sinners suffering and dying for their sins (when God employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction).

T: Had God left Satan to reap the full result of sin, he would have died; but it would not have appeared to the angels that this was "the inevitable result of sin."

M:This doesn’t address my comment.

This is not how I responded. I responded like this:

Quote:

M:It sounds like you think they were pretty much clueless regarding Satan,

T:You've misrepresented my thinking on this quite a number of times, and each time I've corrected you. At least half a dozen times.

M:that they weren’t really sure he was deserving of death. But it also sounds like you think they were comfortable with sinners suffering and dying for their sins (when God employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction).

T:Again, I've quoted the following many, many times, probably over 100.

What's going on here? Why are you posting things together to give the impression that I responded in a way I didn't?

I can't respond to your posts if you're going to do this. It just takes too much time to go back and see what I actually said, to verify that you're quoting me accurately. I shouldn't have to do this. I should be able to rely on you to quote things accurately.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109933
03/15/09 11:49 PM
03/15/09 11:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: How does "the glory of God . . . destroy sin"?

T: . . . So, putting this altogether, it sounds like the wicked do not want to live, and God grants them their desire.

You didn’t answer the question.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109934
03/16/09 12:06 AM
03/16/09 12:06 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: How will sin cause sinners to suffer and die? What laws or dynamic will be at work?

. . .

T: Again, see the DA quotes. I've also quoted from Ty Gibson at length. I like his thoughts on this subject. I can repost it if you like.

I've also mentioned DA chapter 1 in this context. This speaks of how self-sacrificing love is the law of life for the universe. This is contrasted with selfishness, which the essence of sin, which leads to death.

Now let's assume, for the sake of argument, that sin didn't lead to death. Then that would mean it would be possible for one to live by being selfish. But that's impossible. Selfishness can not support life.

The first paragraph directly addresses your question. The final paragraph brings out that it must be the case that sin results in death, because the alternative is not viable.

Nothing you wrote above explains how sin causes sinners to suffer and die. Why doesn’t sin cause sinners to suffer and die now?

Quote:
M: Where does the following insight fit in? “To sin, wherever found, ‘our God is a consuming fire.’ Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. . . The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.”

T: This the same as "By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.(DA 764)," which I just discussed above.

These insights make it clear that it is the glory of God *not sin* that destroys sin and causes sinners to die. Please note that she does not say, Sin destroys sin and causes sinners to die.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109936
03/16/09 12:37 AM
03/16/09 12:37 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Regarding #109864, you wrote:

Quote:
M: It sounds like you think the angels were pretty much clueless regarding Satan, that they weren’t really sure he was deserving of death. But it also sounds like you think they were comfortable with sinners suffering and dying for their sins (when God employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction).

T: Had God left Satan to reap the full result of sin, he would have died; but it would not have appeared to the angels that this was "the inevitable result of sin."

M: This doesn’t address my comment.

This is not how I responded. I responded like this:

Quote:
M: It sounds like you think they were pretty much clueless regarding Satan,

T: You've misrepresented my thinking on this quite a number of times, and each time I've corrected you. At least half a dozen times.

M: that they weren’t really sure he was deserving of death. But it also sounds like you think they were comfortable with sinners suffering and dying for their sins (when God employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction).

T: Again, I've quoted the following many, many times, probably over 100.

What's going on here? Why are you posting things together to give the impression that I responded in a way I didn't?

I can't respond to your posts if you're going to do this. It just takes too much time to go back and see what I actually said, to verify that you're quoting me accurately. I shouldn't have to do this. I should be able to rely on you to quote things accurately.

Here's the actual post, the way it actually appears:

Quote:
Quote:
M: 5. When do you think the loyal angels were ready for Satan to suffer and die for his sins?

T: At the cross.

M: It sounds like you think they were pretty much clueless regarding Satan . . .

You've misrepresented my thinking on this quite a number of times, and each time I've corrected you. At least half a dozen times.

Quote:
M: . . . that they weren’t really sure he was deserving of death. But it also sounds like you think they were comfortable with sinners suffering and dying for their sins (when God employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction).

Again, I've quoted the following many, many times, probably over 100.

Quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

This is what I think. Just what it says. Had God left Satan to reap the full result of sin, he would have died; but it would not have appeared to the angels that this was "the inevitable result of sin."

So, as you can see, I didn't do anything differently than you do, namely, omit the quotes and certain comments. You do it all the time. At any rate, how did I compromise the meaning of your post by abbreviating it the way I did? In your repost above you left out the following paragraph:

This is what I think. Just what it says. Had God left Satan to reap the full result of sin, he would have died; but it would not have appeared to the angels that this was "the inevitable result of sin."

Why did you omit this part in your repost? Then you asked, "Why are you posting things together to give the impression that I responded in a way I didn't?" The part you omitted is the part I included in my response. It was the only thing you wrote in response to my post that actually addressed what I wrote. By the way, it doesn't actually address what I wrote. Here's what I said:

Originally Posted By: MM
It sounds like you think the angels were pretty much clueless regarding Satan, that they weren’t really sure he was deserving of death. But it also sounds like you think they were comfortable with sinners suffering and dying for their sins (when God employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction).

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109937
03/16/09 12:45 AM
03/16/09 12:45 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please respond to 109857, the rest of 109864, and 109865, 109867.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109938
03/16/09 12:48 AM
03/16/09 12:48 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok, that's a good explanation. I'll buy that.

If you put elipses, that makes it clearer that the response does not immediately follow. Without ellipses, the implication is that it does. So this would be clearer:

Quote:
M: It sounds like you think the angels were pretty much clueless regarding Satan, that they weren’t really sure he was deserving of death. But it also sounds like you think they were comfortable with sinners suffering and dying for their sins (when God employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction)....

T:This is what I think. Just what it says. Had God left Satan to reap the full result of sin, he would have died; but it would not have appeared to the angels that this was "the inevitable result of sin."

The reason I didn't include this is because I didn't see it. The reason I didn't see it is that without the ellipses, the implication is that it should have been right there, that I should have to hunt for it.

I'll respond to the post now.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109940
03/16/09 01:04 AM
03/16/09 01:04 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

M:This doesn’t address my comment.

This leaves out comments I made, which did address your comment.

Quote:
M: Do you think there was ever a time before the cross that the loyal angels thought they were ready for Satan to suffer and die for his sins?

T: They may have thought they were ready, but they weren't until the cross.

M:Why do you think they thought they were ready for him to die before the cross?

For the reasons explained in DA 764 (seed of doubt paragraph).

Quote:
M: Do you think God was tormenting or torturing the Sodomites when He allowed fire to engulf them and kill them?

T: You already know what I think.

M:No I don’t.

You should! You've asked me this over and over again. No, I don't.

Quote:
M: The question is - Do you think God has ever employed the “withdraw and permit” method of punishment to allow literal fire to burn people alive? I am, of course, referring to the stories of fire killing sinners in the OT. And, yes, I do not see in the inspired descriptions sinners engulfed in flames at the end of time. True, the descriptions depict the planet as a molten, seething lake of fire, but it doesn’t show sinners engulfed in flames.

T: I've never spoken of a "'withdraw and permit' method of punishment."

M:Do you think God ever withdrew His protection and permitted sinners to be burned alive?

Yes. But I sure wouldn't call this a "method of destruction."

Quote:
Satan is the destroyer; the Lord is the Restorer. (CT 239)

Quote:
For example, do you think God withdrew His protection and allowed fire to burn Nadab and Abihu alive? If not, how and why were they burned alive?

In this case I think it was more that Nadab and Abhiu acted directly contrary to God's will, which He permitted, with disastrous consequences for them.

Quote:
M: I had in mind your view of how and why death and destruction happens (i.e. the “withdraw and permit” method you advocate).

T: 1.God's anger is kindled when people choose sin over Him.
2.God hides His face (forsakes/departs).
3.Many evil and troubles come as a result.
4.These evils come because God is not among them.

M:Do you think God withdraws His protection and permits nature or evil angels or evil men to cause sinners to suffer and die?

Yes, sometimes.

Quote:
Would such results (i.e. the flood, the fires of Sodom, the death of the first born, the fiery death of Nadab and Abihu, etc) happen if God didn’t hide His face? And, are such results regulated by God so as not to exceed His established limits?

They might, in regards to the first question. Regarding the second one, God doesn't permit Satan to exceed His established limits, if that's what you're asking. I would certainly not want to word things in a way that gave the impression God was behind these things happening.

I like the way EGW put it:

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. (GC 36)

Quote:
M: Do you think these kinds of “strange acts” are consistent with the loving and merciful character of God, and that allowing sinners to die this way was right and righteous?

T: As they actually happen, yes.

M:What actually happened? What part did God play? Did do anything or stop doing anything that resulted in what actually happened?

I don't remember the context of this. In general, God acts as EGW explained in GC 35, 36.

Quote:

Do you think things will play out this way naturally, that God will not have to ensure it doesn’t play out some other way?

I think the suffering and death of the wicked is the direct consequence of their own actions. It seems clear to me that this is precisely what DA 764 is saying:

Quote:
The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. (DA 764)

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109942
03/16/09 01:45 AM
03/16/09 01:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I'm guessing the fire engulfing the earth will feel hot to the sinners. Do you think the following fire is literal? "Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. . . The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire."

I've explained what I think will happen in great detail. I spent several pages explaining this.

Regarding whether ""The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked." is referring to firelight, obviously not. First of all, firelight does not give life to the righteous. Secondly "light" = "revelation" and "glory" = "character," so the meaning is that Christ, revealing the character of God, gives life to the righteous, whereas this revelation slays the wicked. This is brought out by the context. The *very next sentence* states that Christ is "the revealer of the character of God." I guess you think this is some sort of fantastic coincidence.

Next post. Regarding the fire being literal or symbolic, I think the fire which causes the wicked to suffer and die is symbolic, whereas the fire that purifies the earth is literal.

Quote:
3. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer.

T: This makes perfect sense, as I've explained. If punishment is organic to sin, it has to be this way.

M:See comments above. You seem to think “quickly destroyed” means their sin and guilt caused them to rapidly die of mental anguish.

I think some suffer for many hours whereas others suffer for many days.

Quote:
You seem to think “punished” means they suffered the natural cause and consequence relationship between sin and suffering and death.

Yes, this is the punishment. It's not arbitrary. It's a reaping of what has been sown. God leaves the wicked to reap the full result of their sin, and they perish, just as DA 764 says. Sin pays its wages: death.

Quote:
You seem to think God will supernaturally shield them from the fire and flames engulfing the earth.

As I've said many times, I think they're already dead at this point. If they weren't they quickly would be, baring some supernatural action on the part of God. The earth is a lake of fire. No one can survive in a lake of fire.

Page 53 of 100 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!