HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 57 of 100 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #110061
03/17/09 01:21 PM
03/17/09 01:21 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: Bobryan

If you are trying to hint that there is something "supernatural" going on in what God is doing here so as to make THIS death -- the SECOND death - so very different from the FIRST death. Then point made! I agree completely -- manufactured. (A term Ellen White uses in DA 305 ).

Quote:
Desire of Ages Page 304 - 305

PAGE 304 -- end..

Blessed are the peacemakers." The peace of Christ is born of truth. It is harmony with God. The world is at enmity with the law of God;

PAGE 305

sinners are at enmity with their Maker; and as a result they are at enmity with one another. But the psalmist declares, "Great peace have they which love Thy law: and nothing shall offend them." Ps. 119:165. Men cannot manufacture peace. Human plans for the purification and uplifting of individuals or of society will fail of producing peace, because they do not reach the heart. The only power that can create or perpetuate true peace is the grace of Christ. When this is implanted in the heart, it will cast out the evil passions that cause strife and dissension. "Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree;" and life's desert "shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose." Isa. 55:13; 35:1. {DA 302.4}

i wouldnt have looked if i had known that it had nothing whatsoever to do with the topic at hand. smile

I suppose there was "some value" in actually following the point where Tom was arguing that when reading Ellen White you can substitue "arbitrary" when you see "manufactured" -- and clearly that does not work as the example shows.

But you needed to have followed the point of the argument. Maybe you are just coming into it late.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #110067
03/17/09 02:01 PM
03/17/09 02:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
1. I have yet to see any of the "everybody" except for you and TeresaQ -- what am I missing?

MM has commented on this thread. I've been on this forum longer than you, and so have discussed these things with others, so can comment on a wider basis than simply those who have contributed to this thread. As to those who have commented recently, there's also Elle.

Quote:
2. I already answered the above in the form "I get that from the Mormons, JW's and Catholics all the time. The key is to actually go to "the text" and make a point."

What's "the above"? You're not dealing with Mormons, JW's and Catholics here, although it's a bit ironic that you would bring them up.

Quote:
3. It is a form of logical fallacy to argue that your argument must be right since someone else happens to take your same way out -- by ignoring the details in the text.

I didn't argue this. I was very clear to point out what I was arguing.

Quote:
(That is the same fallacy many Christians that try to marry evolutionism to the Bible have used. "It must be Christian because I know Christians that do it". That would also work for praying to the dead, worshipping idols etc.). The REAL answer is to "show your work" IN the text. Show that I have done something other than simply affirm the details IN the text!

Again, you're misconstruing things here. I've not made the argument you are suggesting.

Quote:
It is instructive that you have yet do that in your posts so far. You have yet to show that my answers are anything BUT what is actually written in that text.

You're asserting things that aren't in the text. I could go through the text and point out "The thing that Bob says is not here." "It's not here either." "It's not here either," and so forth through every line of the text, but that's not really necessary, is it?

If you're asserting something, and I challenge you that what you said is not in the text, it's up to you to show that it is.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #110071
03/17/09 02:15 PM
03/17/09 02:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:I think, on the contrary, you have been consistently straying away from answer this question. We've had many posts discussing the text. There's no reason why we can't have other posts discussing other things as well, such as God's character.

You wouldn't deny that one's perception of God's character is important, would you? That it impacts how we perceive things? Including Scripture and the SOP?

You have a concept of God's character that very few Adventists have. I'm interested in where you formulated it from.

B:It is pretty simply really.

1. Quote the text - you object to the text.

??? Where have I done this?

Quote:
2. You then ask me how I came up with that -- and I simply "quote the text" again, so you can object to it again as if I wrote it ---- calling my verbatim quote of IT "your concept" as you just did "again".

??? Where have I done this?

To be clear here, what I'm taking issue with is not the text, but your interpretation of it. I've not once taken issue with text, saying, in any way, "I don't agree with what is written here."

What I've taken issue with is your idea that the wicked will be supernaturally kept alive so they can be burned alive by fire for up to many days to make them pay for their sins. The text does not say this. You are inferring this, and I'm taking issue with your inference.

Why do I take issue with what you infer? Because
1.It assumes that God has a character which is contrary to what is presented throughout Scripture, and, above all, revealed by Jesus Christ.
2.It would have Ellen White contradicting what she herself wrote on the subject elsewhere, including in the very same book.

The only text you've presented that you could even misconstrue as my having disagreed with is the EW text, which is obviously not literal.

Quote:
Observing That sequence is not the hard part in the discussion.

What IS hard to understand is how you ever hope to be successful at claiming that my verbatim quote OF the text is me expressing some "idea" or "concept I have" instead of me "quoting the text verbatim".

I'm not claiming that. I'm claiming that the things you infer are incorrect.

Quote:
You have yet to show that I have done anything but quote the text verbatim -- aside form occassionaly objecting to the fact that I happen to believe exactly what the text says.

Sure I have. I've asked you repeatedly to show where in the text it says the things you are inferring.

Quote:
3. you are certainly correct to observe that we can change the subject to "Character of God" and then reach for zillions of examples on zillions of different topics to explore the infinite details in the character of God.

Change the subject? What do you mean "change the subject"? The character of God *is* the subject.

Perhaps this is the problem. Apparently you think the judgment can be studied without reference to God's character. That's doomed to failure right off the bat.

Quote:
But when you try to argue "God's Character includes A and that means we should never find Ellen White showing God to do B" where B is an exact quote of GC 673 or EW 294 -- for example -- then we will also go TO GC 673 or EW 294 to see IF you supposition holds true.

That's pretty circular, isn't it? What I'm suggesting is reasoning in a straight line.

1.See what Ellen White has written on the subject of God's character.
2.Pay special attention to her statements regarding God's character on the subject of the judgment (for example, God loves His enemies; the destruction of the wicked is for their own benefit; the principles of love, mercy, and kindness are applied in the destruction of the wicked).
3.Read the quotes in question keeping this in mind.

Quote:
Typically we have found that it does not when it comes to those details that you insist should not be found there.

Bob, you've still not answered my question.

You are suggesting a view of God's character that most would find horrific. You are suggesting that God will do things to our loved ones that we ourselves would not even to do our enemies. To supernaturally keep people alive so as to cause them indescribable physical pain is unspeakably cruel. How is it that you believe God is capable of inflicting such cruelty upon people He loves?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110072
03/17/09 02:30 PM
03/17/09 02:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I suppose there was "some value" in actually following the point where Tom was arguing that when reading Ellen White you can substitue "arbitrary" when you see "manufactured"

Bob, please be more careful in your expressions. I didn't suggest you could substitute "arbitrary" whenever you see "manufactured" in EGW's writings. This is wrong for two reasons. First of all, you have this backwards (I suggested that "arbitrary" could be substituted by "manufactured.") Secondly, this wasn't an across the board statement, but was limited to a specific passage, which I'll quote below.

Here's the background for my comment. You said that the destruction of the wicked is "manufactured." I said this was a good word to use, to express your thought, even better than "arbitrary," which is apt to be confused, as people may take its meaning to be "capricious" when it actually means "artificially imposed" (or "manufactured").

For example:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

In this case "arbitrary" means "manufactured" not "capricious," which is clear by the context. If her argument were that God was not being capricious with His manufactured destruction of the wicked, she would have argued as to why such a punishment is just and necessary. But her argument is that the destruction is not manufactured by God, but is the result of the choice of the wicked themselves.

This is especially clear in the second paragraph. She says that had God left Satan to reap the full results of his sin, he would have perished. This is describing an even which is not manufactured. If Satan's destruction were manufactured by God, then it is not something God could have left Satan to experience.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110081
03/17/09 03:38 PM
03/17/09 03:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: It sounds like you think the angels were pretty much clueless regarding Satan, that they weren’t really sure he was deserving of death. But it also sounds like you think they were comfortable with sinners suffering and dying for their sins (when God employed the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction).

T: Had God left Satan to reap the full result of sin, he would have died; but it would not have appeared to the angels that this was "the inevitable result of sin."

M: This doesn’t address my comment.

T: This leaves out comments I made, which did address your comment.

You summarized those comments in the sentence above which does not address my comments. Unless, of course, you are agreeing with my observations of what you’re saying. Do you?

Quote:
M: Do you think there was ever a time before the cross that the loyal angels thought they were ready for Satan to suffer and die for his sins?

T: They may have thought they were ready, but they weren't until the cross.

M: Why do you think they thought they were ready for him to die before the cross?

T: For the reasons explained in DA 764 (seed of doubt paragraph).

This passage doesn’t say they thought they were ready.

Quote:
M: Do you think God was tormenting or torturing the Sodomites when He allowed fire to engulf them and kill them?

T: You already know what I think.

M: No I don’t.

T: You should! You've asked me this over and over again. No, I don't.

According to you, the reason the fire engulfed them and burned them alive is because God stopped preventing it from naturally happening. What was the organic connection between their sin and being burned alive when God let it happen? What is not arbitrary about it?

BTW, I’m glad you agree with me that God didn’t torment or torture them when He allowed fire to engulf them and kill them

Quote:
M: The question is - Do you think God has ever employed the “withdraw and permit” method of punishment to allow literal fire to burn people alive? I am, of course, referring to the stories of fire killing sinners in the OT. And, yes, I do not see in the inspired descriptions sinners engulfed in flames at the end of time. True, the descriptions depict the planet as a molten, seething lake of fire, but it doesn’t show sinners engulfed in flames.

T: I've never spoken of a "'withdraw and permit' method of punishment."

M: Do you think God ever withdrew His protection and permitted sinners to be burned alive?

T: Yes. But I sure wouldn't call this a "method of destruction."

Thank you for answering my question. Also, please note that I worded it in the following two ways – 1) the withdraw and permit method of allowing death and destruction to happen, and 2) the withdraw and permit method of allowing sinners suffer punishment. Do they correctly represent your view?

Quote:
M: For example, do you think God withdrew His protection and allowed fire to burn Nadab and Abihu alive? If not, how and why were they burned alive?

T: In this case I think it was more that Nadab and Abhiu acted directly contrary to God's will, which He permitted, with disastrous consequences for them.

Does this mean you do think God withdrew His protection and allowed fire to burn Nadab and Abihu alive? If not, please explain.

Quote:
M: I had in mind your view of how and why death and destruction happens (i.e. the “withdraw and permit” method you advocate).

T: 1.God's anger is kindled when people choose sin over Him.
2.God hides His face (forsakes/departs).
3.Many evil and troubles come as a result.
4.These evils come because God is not among them.

M: Do you think God withdraws His protection and permits nature or evil angels or evil men to cause sinners to suffer and die?

T: Yes, sometimes.

Thank you for answering my question. I agree with you. What is the organic connection between their sin and the suffering and death God permitted to happen to them? That is, in what way did their sin cause them to suffer and die in the way they did when God permitted it?

Quote:
M: Would such results (i.e. the flood, the fires of Sodom, the death of the first born, the fiery death of Nadab and Abihu, etc) happen if God didn’t hide His face? And, are such results regulated by God so as not to exceed His established limits?

T: They might, in regards to the first question. Regarding the second one, God doesn't permit Satan to exceed His established limits, if that's what you're asking. I would certainly not want to word things in a way that gave the impression God was behind these things happening.

Can those kinds of things happen while God is preventing them? How does God prevent the things He permits from exceeding His established limits? For example, how did He prevent all the first born from dying in Egypt? BTW, what caused the first born to die?

Quote:
M: Do you think these kinds of “strange acts” are consistent with the loving and merciful character of God, and that allowing sinners to die this way was right and righteous?

T: As they actually happen, yes.

M: What actually happened? What part did God play? Did He do anything or stop doing anything that resulted in what actually happened?

T: I don't remember the context of this. In general, God acts as EGW explained in GC 35, 36.

The context appears above, namely, (i.e. the flood, the fires of Sodom, the death of the first born, the fiery death of Nadab and Abihu, etc) My questions are related to these kinds of events.

Quote:
M: Do you think things will play out this way naturally, that God will not have to ensure it doesn’t play out some other way?

T: I think the suffering and death of the wicked is the direct consequence of their own actions. It seems clear to me that this is precisely what DA 764 is saying:

Quote:
The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. (DA 764)

“. . . His very presence is to them a consuming fire.” What part does the presence of God play in the suffering and death of the wicked at the end of time? Also, how does God prevent them from being burned alive while the earth is engulfed in fire and flames?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110083
03/17/09 04:02 PM
03/17/09 04:02 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
I could go through the text and point out "The thing that Bob says is not here." "It's not here either." "It's not here either," and so forth through every line of the text, but that's not really necessary, is it?

It is really pretty simple - we have a zillion examples of you claiming that I said something not there (usually without ever actually quoting me) -- and then me quoting the text showing that it is there. All you have to do now is "respond" to it.

In Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 03/17/09 04:03 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110085
03/17/09 04:22 PM
03/17/09 04:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I'm guessing the fire engulfing the earth will feel hot to the sinners. Do you think the following fire is literal? "Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. . . The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire."

T: I've explained what I think will happen in great detail. I spent several pages explaining this.

I was hoping for a simple yes or no answer. Is it literal fire?

Quote:
T: Regarding whether ""The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked." is referring to firelight, obviously not. First of all, firelight does not give life to the righteous. Secondly "light" = "revelation" and "glory" = "character," so the meaning is that Christ, revealing the character of God, gives life to the righteous, whereas this revelation slays the wicked. This is brought out by the context. The *very next sentence* states that Christ is "the revealer of the character of God." I guess you think this is some sort of fantastic coincidence.

“I guess you think this is some sort of fantastic coincidence.” You didn’t really condescend and say this, did you?

There is no evidence that what gives and takes life is the righteous traits and attributes of God’s character. By your own admission you think it is sin, not the character of God, that causes the wicked to suffer and die. Have you changed your mind?

Character is a quality of the soul, it’s not an element or a substance that can give or take life. “True character is a quality of the soul, revealing itself in the conduct.” {CG 161.2} She said it is the “light” of the glory of God that gives and takes life. It is a scientific fact that light gives and takes life.

It seems you would have us interpret her statement above to mean – “The character of the character of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.” Is this what you think she meant to say?

Quote:
T: Regarding the fire being literal or symbolic, I think the fire which causes the wicked to suffer and die is symbolic, whereas the fire that purifies the earth is literal.

Can I apply this answer to my question above?

Quote:
3. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer.

T: This makes perfect sense, as I've explained. If punishment is organic to sin, it has to be this way.

M: See comments above. You seem to think “quickly destroyed” means their sin and guilt caused them to rapidly die of mental anguish.

T: I think some suffer for many hours whereas others suffer for many days.

What do you think it is that causes them to suffer and die?

Quote:
M: You seem to think “punished” means they suffered the natural cause and consequence relationship between sin and suffering and death.

T: Yes, this is the punishment. It's not arbitrary. It's a reaping of what has been sown. God leaves the wicked to reap the full result of their sin, and they perish, just as DA 764 says. Sin pays its wages: death.

Punish, punished, punishment – these seem like odd choices of words to convey something that happens naturally. She speaks of God inflicting punishment. “The punishment inflicted on human beings will in every case be proportionate to the dishonor they have brought on God.” {LDE 217.3} She regularly wrote about it terms of God inflicting punishment. Listen:

Then follows the story of the temptation and fall, and the punishment inflicted upon our erring parents. Their example is given us as a warning against disobedience, that we may be sure that the wages of sin is death, that God's retributive justice never fails, and that He exacts from His creatures a strict regard for His commandments. {4T 11.3}

The statutes and judgments given of God were good for the obedient. "They should live in them." But they were not good for the transgressor, for in the civil law given to Moses punishment was to be inflicted on the transgressor, that others should be restrained by fear. {3SG 301.1}

The Lord commanded Jeremiah to stand in the court of the Lord's house and speak unto all the people of Judah who came there to worship, those things which He would give him to speak, diminishing not a word, that they might hearken and turn from their evil ways. Then God would repent of the punishment which He had purposed to inflict upon them because of their wickedness. {4T 165.2}

The lightest punishment that a merciful God could inflict upon so rebellious a people was submission to the rule of Babylon, but if they warred against this decree of servitude they were to feel the full vigor of His chastisement. {PK 443.2}

His signal, visible displeasure may not be manifested as in the case of Ananias and Sapphira, yet in the end the punishment will in no case be lighter than that which was inflicted upon them. In trying to deceive men, they were lying to God. "The soul that sinneth, it shall die." {1T 529.2}

Quote:
M: You seem to think God will supernaturally shield them from the fire and flames engulfing the earth.

T: As I've said many times, I think they're already dead at this point. If they weren't they quickly would be, baring some supernatural action on the part of God. The earth is a lake of fire. No one can survive in a lake of fire.

Where does it say in the Bible or the SOP that the wicked are already dead by the time God rains down fire upon the earth to cleanse it? Are you saying the following happens after they are dead:

"Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. . . The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire."

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #110086
03/17/09 05:54 PM
03/17/09 05:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
You summarized those comments in the sentence above which does not address my comments. Unless, of course, you are agreeing with my observations of what you’re saying. Do you?

No, MM. As I pointed out in my comment, which you cut out, you've misrepresented my position, and I've explained this to you already several times. I shouldn't have to keep pointing out the same misrepresentations over and over again. You should get it the first time.

I never said or in any way implied that angels were "clueless." I've quoted the following:

Quote:
To the angels and the unfallen worlds the cry, "It is finished," had a deep significance. It was for them as well as for us that the great work of redemption had been accomplished. They with us share the fruits of Christ's victory.

Not until the death of Christ was the character of Satan clearly revealed to the angels or to the unfallen worlds. The archapostate had so clothed himself with deception that even holy beings had not understood his principles. They had not clearly seen the nature of his rebellion.(DA 758)

Quote:
Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure. (DA 764)

Quote:
The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan. Angelic perfection failed in heaven (BTS December 1, 1907)

Quote:
M: Do you think there was ever a time before the cross that the loyal angels thought they were ready for Satan to suffer and die for his sins?

T: They may have thought they were ready, but they weren't until the cross.

M: Why do you think they thought they were ready for him to die before the cross?

T: For the reasons explained in DA 764 (seed of doubt paragraph).

M:This passage doesn’t say they thought they were ready.

I didn't say that. I said, "They may have thought ..." By the way, thanks for including the context of our discussion. This made it easier for me to respond, as I didn't have to go back and look.

Quote:
M: Do you think God was tormenting or torturing the Sodomites when He allowed fire to engulf them and kill them?

T: You already know what I think.

M: No I don’t.

T: You should! You've asked me this over and over again. No, I don't.

M:According to you, the reason the fire engulfed them and burned them alive is because God stopped preventing it from naturally happening. What was the organic connection between their sin and being burned alive when God let it happen? What is not arbitrary about it?

The organic connection between and death is the second death, which isn't this.

Quote:
BTW, I’m glad you agree with me that God didn’t torment or torture them when He allowed fire to engulf them and kill them.

I'm glad you've changed your mind to agree with me. I know you used to believe that God actually caused this to happen, but now you're saying God "allowed" it to happen. Good!

Quote:
Thank you for answering my question. Also, please note that I worded it in the following two ways – 1) the withdraw and permit method of allowing death and destruction to happen, and 2) the withdraw and permit method of allowing sinners suffer punishment. Do they correctly represent your view?

MM, I've already explained this.

I would call this a "method" of destruction, because this could give the impression that this is something God is behind; i.e., that this represents God's will, or is something He wants to happen.

The following correctly represents my view:

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown.(GC 36)

I would extend this to not only be applicable to Satan, but to other acts which come as a result of sin, including indirect ones, due to being in a sinful world (such as natural disasters).

Quote:
Does this mean you do think God withdrew His protection and allowed fire to burn Nadab and Abihu alive? If not, please explain.

We've discussed this too. At length.

Quote:
M: Would such results (i.e. the flood, the fires of Sodom, the death of the first born, the fiery death of Nadab and Abihu, etc) happen if God didn’t hide His face? And, are such results regulated by God so as not to exceed His established limits?

T: They might, in regards to the first question. Regarding the second one, God doesn't permit Satan to exceed His established limits, if that's what you're asking. I would certainly not want to word things in a way that gave the impression God was behind these things happening.

M:Can those kinds of things happen while God is preventing them?

??? How? By overpowering God? What do you have in mind?

Quote:
How does God prevent the things He permits from exceeding His established limits? For example, how did He prevent all the first born from dying in Egypt?

See the above GC 36 quote.

Quote:
BTW, what caused the first born to die?

We've discussed this.

Quote:
M: What actually happened? What part did God play? Did He do anything or stop doing anything that resulted in what actually happened?

T: I don't remember the context of this. In general, God acts as EGW explained in GC 35, 36.

M:The context appears above, namely, (i.e. the flood, the fires of Sodom, the death of the first born, the fiery death of Nadab and Abihu, etc) My questions are related to these kinds of events.

I believe God acted as laid out in GC 35, 36. We've discussed the details of these events elsewhere.

Quote:
“. . . His very presence is to them a consuming fire.” What part does the presence of God play in the suffering and death of the wicked at the end of time? Also, how does God prevent them from being burned alive while the earth is engulfed in fire and flames?

This has been discussed too.

I'm sorry to be so terse here, but I've written pages upon pages regarding these questions. Just recently I gave a detailed description of what I think happens in the judgment, which answers your questions here.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110087
03/17/09 05:59 PM
03/17/09 05:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom:I could go through the text and point out "The thing that Bob says is not here." "It's not here either." "It's not here either," and so forth through every line of the text, but that's not really necessary, is it?

Bob:It is really pretty simple - we have a zillion examples of you claiming that I said something not there (usually without ever actually quoting me) -- and then me quoting the text showing that it is there. All you have to do now is "respond" to it.

I understand your idea is that God supernaturally keeps people alive so that they can be burned by literal fire for many hours or many days in order to make them pay for their sins. You've indicated you agree with this characterization of your view.

Do you? If you do, then show me where the text says this.

I'd suggest taking a look at the conversation between MM and myself. You can see that we disagree with one another, yet the conversation is able to go forward. This would be a nice pattern to follow.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110090
03/17/09 06:44 PM
03/17/09 06:44 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Hello, pardon the interruption. I just recently received a book by Steve Wohlberg and Chris Lewis entitled, The Character of God Controversy, and I believe they conclude that indeed God punishes, kills, and completely destroys in agreement with the justice aspect His character.

Also, in flipping to the back of the book, one can see names like Stephen Bohr, Jeff Reich, Marvin Moore, and Ivor Myers as possible supporters of this view. These, then, it appears, have taken the authors side of the issue. I share this simply as food for thought in this discussion.

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Page 57 of 100 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!