HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,260 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 53 of 100 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110182
03/19/09 02:29 AM
03/19/09 02:29 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
It sounds like you believe in verbal inspiration? Especially of Ellen White? Is this correct? You say the word "flesh" can only mean two things because of a single sentence which Ellen White wrote, isn't that right?

No. Because these are the only two meanings I see in her writings, and also in the Bible:

2 Corinthians 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh [body], we do not war according to the flesh [the lower corrupt nature].

Quote:
Taking fallen human with all its hereditary inclinations is not a human addition to what Ellen White wrote, but a human being explaining what Ellen White wrote. The human being read in public from the Desire of Ages, explained what that meant, and this was published in the Review and Herald. This human being was in close correspondence with Ellen White at the time, as the two of them were formulating a strategy, and implementing it, to fight the Holy Flesh ideas, which are very similar in logic (identical, actually, it seems) to what you are saying.

He added his own words and interpretation to what she said, and there is nothing indicating that “the two of them were formulating a strategy, and implementing it, to fight the Holy Flesh ideas.” Haskell wrote to her on Sept. 25, 1900. One week later, on October 2, he wrote the editorial in the Review and Herald you speak about. She answered to his letter on Oct. 10, 1900, when she probably hadn’t yet had the opportunity to read the Review, and in this letter she only made comments about the music and noise, saying nothing about the other points he mentions in his letter. There were no more letters between them, and they didn’t meet until the GC session in 1901, when she spoke about the matter.

Quote:
To mention another, she endorsed a post-lapsarian sermon by W. W. Prescott, the theme of which was that Christ came in sinful flesh. He made a big deal of this. Why? Because Christ had a body which could become tired or hungry? That makes no sense.

Yet this is what she talks about when she speaks about Christ assuming our human nature.

Quote:
Why do you think this is what is being thought? Why couldn't the thinking go like this: "I would like to have sex with him/her. Wait a moment. I'm married. That would be wrong. I reject this temptation." Why would this be sin?

Do you still ask why?
Matthew 5:28 "But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”
The text doesn’t say “whoever looks at a woman the second time to lust for her...”

Quote:
What's the difference between wishing something and willing something?

In practical terms, none. To wish is to desire, and to will is to desire.

Quote:
R: Now, which arguments do you refer to, specifically?
T: The one I pointed out several times:

Is this an argument to refute the holy flesh movement? How does it refute it?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110184
03/19/09 02:30 AM
03/19/09 02:30 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
So in relation to the Holy Flesh movement, you're saying the same thing they were. When they were speaking of having sinless flesh, they mean exactly the same thing as you mean when you speak of not having any tendencies to sin (i.e. having all tendencies to sin removed from the flesh). Without these tendencies you have "holy flesh."

They're not the same thing. Note what it actually was:
Quote:
If those who speak so freely of perfection in the flesh, could see things in the true light, they would recoil with horror from their presumptuous ideas. In showing the fallacy of their assumptions in regard to holy flesh, the Lord is seeking to prevent men and women from putting on His words a construction which leads to pollution of body, soul, and spirit. Let this phase of doctrine be carried a little further, and it will lead to the claim that its advocates cannot sin; that since they have holy flesh, their actions are all holy. What a door of temptation would thus be opened! {2SM 32.2}

Note the "cannot sin" error. That's speaking of the CAPACITY to sin. And if you look carefully, many post-fall people impute that error upon those not in their camp. And I suppose it's understandable, since that makes it much easier to refute the "other guys."

Look at the other phrase I emphasized. The "holy flesh" error was about holy *flesh* doing holy *actions*. Holy *thoughts and feelings* are not problematic.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110186
03/19/09 02:40 AM
03/19/09 02:40 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Holy Flesh

a.Christ came in the nature of Adam before the fall.
b.He would have been sinful otherwise.
c.We need to be like Christ to be a part of the 144,000.
d.Therefore we need to be rid of our sinful nature.

I think this is more accurate:

Holy Flesh

a.Christ came in the FLESH of Adam before the fall.
b.He would have been sinful otherwise.
c.We need to be like Christ to be a part of the 144,000.
d.Therefore we need to be rid of our sinful FLESH.

They were, after all, the holy FLESH people.

And here is how I would summarize my position:

a. Christ hated sin with a perfect hatred.
b. When He obeyed His Father, He was only carrying out His own impulses.
c. We need to be like Christ to be a part of the 144,000.
d. Therefore we need an entire transformation and renewal of our whole nature so that even our thoughts will be in harmony with God.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #110189
03/19/09 02:52 AM
03/19/09 02:52 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela spoke of the necessity of having hereditary tendencies to sin removed. I was characterizing Rosangela's position, which she agreed with. Are you disagreeing with Rosangela?

Regarding what you said, everyone agrees with that (even the Holy Flesh people would have agreed with it).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110190
03/19/09 03:57 AM
03/19/09 03:57 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #110182, Donnell wrote:

Quote:
Where did Adam stand before his fall?. . . He was holy. Now, in order to pass over the same ground that Adam passed over, Christ would most assuredly have to begin just where Adam began! . . . . Now, we know that his divinity was holy, and if his humanity was holy, then we do know that that thing which was born of the virgin Mary was in every sense a holy thing, and did not possess the tendency to sin—R.S. Donnell, "Article Two", pp. 6,7.

Quote:
He took a body which showed by its deteriorated condition, that the effects of sin was shown by it, but His life proved that there was no sin in it. It was a body which the Father had prepared for Him. Heb. 10:5. Christ’s body represented a body redeemed from its fallen spiritual nature, but not from its fallen, or deteriorated physical nature. It was a body redeemed from sin, and with that body Christ clothed His divinity.

This is what you believe, isn't it?

Quote:
He added his own words and interpretation to what she said...

It's not right to say "he added his own words." This gives a false impression. He read what Ellen White wrote, and then explained it, the same as you or any one else does.

It's pretty hard to believe that Ellen White would not have been aware of Haskell's comments in the Review and Herald. The chance of this being the case is probably close to zero.

Jones and Waggoner, in addition to Haskell, worked along the same lines.

Haskell's quote demonstrates how Ellen White was understood by her contemporaries (Jones also quoted her on this subject, interpreting her as did Haskell, in a very public setting -- the General Conference session). Ellen White was aware of this, but made no comment, which is hard to imagine being the case given they were saying the opposite of what she was. It's even harder to imagine her being silent while Jones, Haskell, and Waggoner worked for months along lines she knew were false. Jones wrote a whole series of articles on the subject.

Quote:
T:To mention another, she endorsed a post-lapsarian sermon by W. W. Prescott, the theme of which was that Christ came in sinful flesh. He made a big deal of this. Why? Because Christ had a body which could become tired or hungry? That makes no sense.

M:Yet this is what she talks about when she speaks about Christ assuming our human nature.

She speaks about Christ's sharing in our sorrows and temptations:

Quote:
Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. (DA 49)

It's hard to believe what she had in mind here was that "these results" "shown in the history of His earthly ancestors" was that they became hungry and tired. Also that "to share in our sorrows and temptations" means "to share in our hunger and tiredness."

Quote:
T:Why do you think this is what is being thought? Why couldn't the thinking go like this: "I would like to have sex with him/her. Wait a moment. I'm married. That would be wrong. I reject this temptation." Why would this be sin?

R:Do you still ask why?

You mean you think it is a sin? *Before* your mind has registered what has happened, the mere thought of wanting to have sex, you think is a sin? Again I ask, why would this be a sin?

Quote:
Matthew 5:28 "But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”

Looking to lust is an act of the will. He didn't say looking at a woman was a sin, but looking to lust.

Quote:
The text doesn’t say “whoever looks at a woman the second time to lust for her...”

I think anyone understands what "look to lust" means, and that it doesn't mean the same thing as "look."

Quote:
R: Now, which arguments do you refer to, specifically?

T: The one I pointed out several times:

R:Is this an argument to refute the holy flesh movement? How does it refute it?

The arguments that the SDA church gave refutes the argument.

The HF argument was that Christ came with a human nature like Adam's before the fall in a spiritual sense but like fallen Adam's in a physical sense. In order for us to be prepared for translation, we had to have a human nature like the one Christ assumed.

In order to counteract this argument, the SDA church argued that Christ came with a nature like Adam's after the fall, with all its hereditary inclinations.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110201
03/19/09 02:02 PM
03/19/09 02:02 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Rosangela spoke of the necessity of having hereditary tendencies to sin removed. I was characterizing Rosangela's position, which she agreed with. Are you disagreeing with Rosangela?

I wish to make clear my position in case Arnold is not following the thread closely:

"Now, while our great High Priest is making the atonement for us, we should seek to become perfect in Christ. Not even by a thought could our Saviour be brought to yield to the power of temptation. Satan finds in human hearts some point where he can gain a foothold; some sinful desire is cherished, by means of which his temptations assert their power. But Christ declared of Himself: 'The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in Me.' (John 14:30). Satan could find nothing in the Son of God that would enable him to gain the victory. He had kept His Father's commandments, and there was no sin in Him that Satan could use to his advantage. This is the condition in which those must be found who shall stand in the time of trouble." --GC 623

Ellen White here equates the cherishing of a sinful desire with sin. I argued that she couldn't have said "some sinful desire is had," so the verb "cherish" is here used to express the presence, or occurrence, of a sinful desire. I also said that Ellen White says clearly that the sinful/selfish desire is prohibited by the 10th commandment.
Tom is arguing that wishing something wrong is not a sin because the will is not involved in it.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #110204
03/19/09 03:05 PM
03/19/09 03:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
a. Christ hated sin with a perfect hatred.
b. When He obeyed His Father, He was only carrying out His own impulses.
c. We need to be like Christ to be a part of the 144,000.
d. Therefore we need an entire transformation and renewal of our whole nature so that even our thoughts will be in harmony with God.

This experience is available to believers the moment they experience the miracle of genuine rebirth and conversion. It is not something they achieve after months or years of sinning less and less. Nor is it unique to the 144,000. It is required of all who will be in heaven. None will be admitted without this experience, which includes people like the thief on the cross.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #110205
03/19/09 03:19 PM
03/19/09 03:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
She seems to have believed that it is possible and necessary to crucify certain unholy desires and inclinations. In such cases, they totally cease to tempt and annoy. But she also makes it clear that the remaining sinful desires and inclinations must be reined in and subjected to the control of a sanctified will and reason and conscience. In such cases, they continue to tempt and annoy, but are not cherished or acted out. Finally, and best of all, she makes it wonderfully clear that God implants, at the moment of rebirth, new desires, new tastes, new motives, new tendencies, new affections, and new appetites with which we are able to cultivate sinless traits of character.

Mike,

So when you have an unholy desire you don’t consider it a sin and don’t see any need to confess it?

Yes, it is a sin when I have an unholy desire and it must be confessed. However, there is a difference between "having" an unholy desire versus an unholy thought and feeling tempting us from within to be unlike Jesus. Do you agree?

And, do you agree all temptations begin as unholy thoughts and feelings? If not, how, then, do you think people become consciously aware of the fact they are being tempted?

Quote:
R: One of the quotes you posted says, “A genuine conversion changes hereditary and cultivated tendencies to wrong.” Another one says, “The thorns in the heart must be uprooted and cast out, for good and evil cannot grow in the heart at the same time. Unsanctified human inclinations and desires must be cut away from the life as hindrances to Christian growth.”

Amen! However, this isn't true of all hereditary and cultivated inclinations to evil which clamor for sinful expression. The other quotes I posted above make this point painfully clear. How do you reconcile them with the idea we are guilty in the sight of God until we rid ourselves of all sinful inclinations to evil?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #110206
03/19/09 03:29 PM
03/19/09 03:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom is arguing that wishing something wrong is not a sin because the will is not involved in it.

No, I'm not. I asked you what the difference was between wishing and willing, and you gave both words the same definition, indicating there's not difference. Obviously if willing and wishing are the same thing, then the will *is* involved in wishing, since the will is involved in willing.

If having a sinful desire means willing something (or wishing), then it's a sin. If it means simply being tempted, without the will being involved, it's not.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110228
03/19/09 05:41 PM
03/19/09 05:41 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
This is what you believe, isn't it?

No, this isn’t the totality of what I believe about this subject.
What does “holy nature” mean? As I said, besides the absence of sinful propensities, there are other elements involved in the sinful nature. Adam’s enmity against Satan was natural, and God made him righteous, so he had an intrinsic righteousness. However, “all our good works are dependent on a power outside of ourselves.” We will never be intrinsically righteous on this earth.

“It is not only at the beginning of the Christian life that this renunciation of self is to be made. At every advance step heavenward it is to be renewed. All our good works are dependent on a power outside of ourselves. ... The nearer we come to Jesus and the more clearly we discern the purity of His character, the more clearly we shall discern the exceeding sinfulness of sin and the less we shall feel like exalting ourselves. ... None of the apostles or prophets ever claimed to be without sin. Men who have lived nearest to God, men who would sacrifice life itself rather than knowingly commit a wrong act, men whom God had honored with divine light and power, have confessed the sinfulness of their own nature. They have put no confidence in the flesh, have claimed no righteousness of their own, but have trusted wholly in the righteousness of Christ. So will it be with all who behold Christ. {RC 260.4-6}

Quote:
T: To mention another, she endorsed a post-lapsarian sermon by W. W. Prescott, the theme of which was that Christ came in sinful flesh. He made a big deal of this. Why? Because Christ had a body which could become tired or hungry? That makes no sense.
R: Yet this is what she talks about when she speaks about Christ assuming our human nature.
T: She speaks about Christ's sharing in our sorrows and temptations:

Yes, but what does she mean by that?

“But as Christ humbled Himself to the nature of man, He could be tempted. He had not taken on Him even the nature of the angels, but humanity, perfectly identical with our own nature, except without the taint of sin. A human body, a human mind, with all the peculiar properties, He was bone, brain, and muscle. A man of our flesh, He was compassed with the weakness of humanity. The circumstances of His life were of that character that He was exposed to all the inconveniences that belong to men, not in wealth, not in ease, but in poverty and want and humiliation. He breathed the very air man must breathe. He trod our earth as man. He had reason, conscience, memory, will, and affections of the human soul which was united with His divine nature.” --16MR 181, 182.

Quote:
Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. (DA 49)

It's hard to believe what she had in mind here was that "these results" "shown in the history of His earthly ancestors" was that they became hungry and tired. Also that "to share in our sorrows and temptations" means "to share in our hunger and tiredness."

What she means is made clear in another passage:

“For four thousand years the race had been decreasing in physical strength, in mental power, in moral worth; and Christ took upon Him the infirmities of degenerate humanity. Only thus could He rescue man from the lowest depths of degradation.” {ST, December 3, 1902 par. 7}

Quote:
Looking to lust is an act of the will. He didn't say looking at a woman was a sin, but looking to lust.

The verb “to lust” here is epithumeo, of the same root as the word “lust” (epithumea) in James 1:14: “But every man is tempted when he is drawn away by his own lust and enticed.” You said that the word in James didn't express a sin. However, you admit it expresses a sin in Matthew 5:28.

Page 53 of 100 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!