HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,465 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 62 of 100 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #110305
03/20/09 10:59 PM
03/20/09 10:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
1. Surprising then that you want to argue this as a symbol.

2. So you have the wicked suffering for "many days" in that rock-burning fire do you?

How then does that work in your model?

I think the fire that purifies the earth is what burns the wicked, but is not what causes their suffering. What causes their suffering is explained in GC 541-543.

Quote:
Real sinners in real fire at the real judgment after the real millennium enduring the suffering of the real second death -- lake of fire - where they are really punished for their real sins as the Law really demands.

Didn't Jesus suffer the second death? He had to do so to pay the price for our sins, right? So where's the literal fire? If the second death consisted of suffering due to being burned by literal fire, Christ would have been burned by literal fire. But Christ suffered the second death, a real death of fire (He said, "my heart melts like wax"), but not of a literal fire.

The second death is a spiritual death. The agony is one of soul.

Any chance you'll ever answer *my* questions?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110306
03/20/09 11:03 PM
03/20/09 11:03 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Bob, why do you think a valid form of interpretation is to pick out passages which can be interpreted in some way you like, and dismiss any others?

Why do you think God is capable of the cruelty you suggest He will do?

How does your view fit with the principles Ellen White suggests? (i.e. love, mercy and kindness; that God loves His enemies; that the judgment occurs for the good of the wicked).

I'd like to especially focus on this last one a bit. How is the judgment something that occurs for the good of the wicked under your view?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110308
03/20/09 11:19 PM
03/20/09 11:19 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Bob, why do you think a valid form of interpretation is to pick out passages which can be interpreted in some way you like, and dismiss any others?

Why do you think God is capable of the cruelty you suggest He will do?

How does your view fit with the principles Ellen White suggests? (i.e. love, mercy and kindness; that God loves His enemies; that the judgment occurs for the good of the wicked).

I'd like to especially focus on this last one a bit. How is the judgment something that occurs for the good of the wicked under your view?

the same way you can wipe out 2000 years of humans without the least bit of feeling?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #110328
03/21/09 01:14 PM
03/21/09 01:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, here is how Ellen views the concept of punishment. As you can see she saw punishment as something that is inflicted upon the offender. The idea that God punishes sinners by withdrawing His protection and permitting them to reap the natural cause and effect consequence of sinning is not supported in the following passages.

They had tasted the bitter fruits of disobedience, and had learned what every one that tramples upon God's commandments will sooner or later learn--that the divine precepts are sacred and immutable, and that the penalty of transgression will surely be inflicted. {PP 80.3}

He [Cain] pointed to the compassion of God in sparing the life of their parents when He might have punished them with instant death, and urged that God loved them, or He would not have given His Son, innocent and holy, to suffer the penalty which they had incurred. {PP 74.1}

Christ, in counsel with His Father, instituted the system of sacrificial offerings; that death, instead of being immediately visited upon the transgressor, should be transferred to a victim which should prefigure the great and perfect offering of the Son of God. {1SM 230.1}

Quote:
When convicted of their falsehood, their [A&S] punishment was instant death. {CC 330.3} For presuming to touch the symbol of God's presence, he [Uzzah] was smitten with instant death. {MH 436.1} If any ventured so much as to touch it [Sinai] , the penalty was instant death. {PP 304.1}

Death is the final punishment of all who reject light, and continue in transgression. {4aSG 14.2} Any violation of it is an act of transgression against God, and will be visited with the penalty of the divine law. To all the inhabitants of the world who make void the law of Jehovah, and continue to live in transgression, death must surely come. {6BC 1116.3}The penalty for the least transgression of that law is death, and but for Christ, the sinner's Advocate, it would be summarily visited on every offender. {TDG 246.1}

He thought that the prisoners had escaped, and that he must be punished with death. But as he was about to kill himself, Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, "Do thyself no harm: for we are all here." {EW 204.2} Those who do not choose to accept of the salvation so dearly purchased, must be punished. {EW 221.1} Manstealing, deliberate murder, and rebellion against parental authority were to be punished with death. {PP 310.2} Whoever neglected to comply with the directions given was punished with death. {PP 375.4}

He was taken in the act and brought before Moses. It had already been declared that Sabbathbreaking should be punished with death, but it had not yet been revealed how the penalty was to be inflicted. The case was brought by Moses before the Lord, and the direction was given, "The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp." Numbers 15:35. The sins of blasphemy and willful Sabbathbreaking received the same punishment, being equally an expression of contempt for the authority of God. {PP 409.1}

In our day there are many who reject the creation Sabbath as a Jewish institution and urge that if it is to be kept, the penalty of death must be inflicted for its violation; but we see that blasphemy received the same punishment as did Sabbathbreaking. Shall we therefore conclude that the third commandment also is to be set aside as applicable only to the Jews? Yet the argument drawn from the death penalty applies to the third, the fifth, and indeed to nearly all the ten precepts, equally with the fourth. Though God may not now punish the transgression of His law with temporal penalties, yet His word declares that the wages of sin is death; and in the final execution of the judgment it will be found that death is the portion of those who violate His sacred precepts. {PP 409.2}

Had Eli dealt justly with his wicked sons, they would have been rejected from the priestly office and punished with death. {PP 577.1} The irreverent daring of the people at Beth-shemesh was speedily punished. Many were smitten with sudden death. {PP 589.2} God gave positive evidence that He rules in the heavens, and rebellion was punished with death. {1BC 1113.7} The fearful and unbelieving, who are punished with the second death, are of that class who are ashamed of Christ in this world. {2T 630.1}

What did God command Moses to do with those who were guilty of adultery? They should be stoned to death. Does the punishment end there? No, they are to die the second death. The stoning system has been done away, but the penalty for transgressing God's law is not done away. If the transgressor does not heartily repent, he will be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord. {TSB 131.3}

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110329
03/21/09 01:16 PM
03/21/09 01:16 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom

1. No "interpretation" is needed when the text is in your same language and uses no symbols.

2. Catholics argue "We can interpret" the Bible so that prayers to the dead, purgatory, images worshipped in church etc are all "ok".

But that is not exegesis -- just the fallacy of ad populum "instead" of attention to the details of the text -- as I am sure we all agree.

No sense in our joining them in that line of argument now.

Quote:

How does your view fit with the principles Ellen White suggests?

I don't have any view on this except the view of not eisegeting out whatever does not please your preference and bias.

Quote:

Find the quote of the Bible or Ellen White that says "fire and brimstone torment mentioned in scripture in Rev 14:10-11 is for the GOOD of the wicked" - please.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #110344
03/21/09 06:06 PM
03/21/09 06:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.What you're doing is not proper exegesis. Proper exegesis does not limit oneself to the text at hand, but considers what the author has written elsewhere.

2.You write:

Quote:
I don't have any view on this except the view of not eisegeting out whatever does not please your preference and bias.

but this looks to be exactly what you are doing in many passages where she discusses this subject (e.g. GC 541-543; DA 764) Proper exegesis would take into account all that an author has written.

Have you ever studied the subject of exegesis? I've asked you this several times, but you've not answered.

3.I've quoted the following several times:

Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. (GC 541)

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #110345
03/21/09 06:19 PM
03/21/09 06:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, regarding punishment, kland quoted this:

Quote:
"And while the flesh was yet between their teeth, the wrath of the Lord was kindled against the people, and the Lord smote the people with a very great plague."

In this instance the Lord gave the people that which was not for their best good, because they would have it. They would not submit to receive from the Lord those things which would prove for their good. They gave themselves up to seditious murmurings against Moses, and against the Lord, because they did not receive those things which would prove an injury to them. Their depraved appetites controlled them, and God gave them flesh meats, as they desired, and He let them suffer the results of gratifying their lustful appetites. Burning fevers cut down very large numbers of the people. Those who had been most guilty in their murmurings were slain as soon as they tasted the meat for which they had lusted. If they had submitted to have the Lord select their food for them, and had been thankful and satisfied for food which they could eat freely of without injury, they would not have lost the favor of God, and then been punished for their rebellious murmurings by great numbers of them being slain. {CD 377}

This says that God punished them for their rebellious murmurings, but how did He do so? By giving them what they wanted.

As I pointed out, Deut. 31 explains the concept I've been sharing well:

Quote:
17Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God is not among us?

18And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have wrought, in that they are turned unto other gods.

God's anger (or wrath) is manifest by His hiding His face. This is how He punishes. The result is great troubles coming upon those who hides His face from.

And there's the following, which has been quoted many, many times:

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty. (GC 36)

This points out that there is no more decisive testimony as to the certain punishment that will fall upon the wicked than the destruction of Jerusalem, where we know that Israel was destroyed according to the same principles spelled out in Deut. 31.

The "punishment" does refer to what happens when God hides His face.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110355
03/22/09 03:39 AM
03/22/09 03:39 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Bob

Quote:

Originally Posted By: tom

but this looks to be exactly what you are doing in many passages where she discusses this subject (e.g. GC 541-543; DA 764) Proper exegesis would take into account all that an author has written.

I did a post on DA 764 on the Cross as per you earlier insistence on DA 764
http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=109375#Post109375

and another on GC 535 addressing the errors of immortal soul as per your insistance that we look at GC 535.
http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=109340#Post109340

All this in compliance with your anything-but GC673 EW294 solution to GC673 and EW294.

Did you miss those posts? Are you claiming that I was not true to the content and context on those posts?

BTW - Maranatha Nov 24 section talks about God resurrecting the wicked "to meet their doom" - are you comfortable with that fitting into your "doom for your own good" construct, did you ever find a EGW quote for "lake of fire for your own good" idea?

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 03/22/09 03:53 AM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #110358
03/22/09 04:30 AM
03/22/09 04:30 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Neither of these posts dealt with the issues I've raised. Also I said GC 541-543, not GC 535-536, which is dealing with a different point.

Here's GC 541-543, of which, to the best of my knowledge, you haven't commented at all:

Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. He would make them happy if He could do so in accordance with the laws of His government and the justice of His character. He surrounds them with the tokens of His love, He grants them a knowledge of His law, and follows them with the offers of His mercy; but they despise His love, make void His law, and reject His mercy. While constantly receiving His gifts, they dishonor the Giver; they hate God because they know that He abhors their sins. The Lord bears long with their perversity; but the decisive hour will come at last, when their destiny is to be decided. Will He then chain these rebels to His side? Will He force them to do His will?

Those who have chosen Satan as their leader and have been controlled by his power are not prepared to enter the presence of God. Pride, deception, licentiousness, cruelty, have become fixed in their characters. Can they enter heaven to dwell forever with those whom they despised and hated on earth? Truth will never be agreeable to a liar; meekness will not satisfy self-esteem and pride; purity is not acceptable to the corrupt; disinterested love does not appear attractive to the selfish. What source of enjoyment could heaven offer to those who are wholly absorbed in earthly and selfish interests?

Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God.

In particular, I'd like to know how the principles of "love, mercy, and kindness" fits it, as well as how the principle that God executes justice for the good of the wicked.

The DA 764 quote brings out that the destruction of the wicked is not a manufactured act of power on the part of God (she uses the word "arbitrary," but the meaning is "manufactured," not "capricious," as the context bears out) but is what the wicked bring about.

She says:

Quote:
At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe.(DA 764)

The "this" that the angels did not understand is the following:

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

Now if you're view were correct, and God actually caused Satan's death by burning him alive, what could the angels possibly have been confused about? She writes that "His very presence is to them a consuming fire." This is the fire that destroys Satan. But it's not a literal fire, because if it were, there would be nothing for the angels to misunderstand. They understand the concept of literal fire.

However, the type of fire which caused Christ's death was not something they understood until the cross. Understanding the destruction of the wicked is intimately tied into understanding the cross. It's not a coincidence that Ellen White explains the destruction of the wicked in a chapter which is dealing with what Christ accomplished by His death. One of the things He accomplished was a demonstration of the death which sin brings about.

Now that this has been demonstrated, God can "leave" Satan and his followed to reap the full result of their sin, without there being a misunderstanding.

What would the misunderstanding have been, apart from the cross? It would have been that Satan's death was due to a manufactured act of power, as opposed to him reaping the full result of his sin.

Notice that had God "left" Satan to reap the full result of his sin, he would have perished. God could not have "left" Satan if He was causing his death by burning him with literal fire.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #110359
03/22/09 04:33 AM
03/22/09 04:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Bob, is this literal or symbolic?

Quote:
As the saints left the cities and villages, they were pursued by the wicked, who sought to slay them. But the swords that were raised to kill God's people broke and fell as powerless as a straw. Angels of God shielded the saints. As they cried day and night for deliverance, their cry came up before the Lord. {EW 284.2}

Page 62 of 100 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!