HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Sinning Not #11032
10/11/04 05:59 PM
10/11/04 05:59 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline OP
Blanchard, OK
Greetings, everyone!

In recent and past discussions on this forum and others, whenever the idea is presented of someone living from this point forward without sinning, one or more people object to that idea citing one or more of the following reasons:

1. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves. (1 John 1:8)
  2. If we say we have not sinned, we make Him a liar. (1 John 1:10)
  3. If we no longer sin, then we have no need of Christ for we are then perfect, and have earned salvation, and deserve it.
  4. For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23)

In their arguments, some even go as far to say that we are always sinning, continuously and perpetually, every moment of every day.

The topic of this particular thread is very specific, namely those questions listed below.

This is not a discussion on whether or not living without sinning is possible. That can be discussed on a different thread. Whether you believe it possible or impossible, you can still answer the following questions.

This is not a discussion on how we can have salvation. Rather, it is about the implications of the idea of living without sinning anymore.

Regardless of whether you think it possible or impossible to live "and sin no more" prior to Christ's second coming, ...

if you no longer sin does it mean that ...
  1. ...you are without sin?
  2. ...you are perfect?
  3. ...you deserve or have earned salvation?
  4. ...you do not need salvation?

Re: Sinning Not #11033
10/12/04 02:41 PM
10/12/04 02:41 PM
Shelley  Offline
Posting New Member
Australia
quote:
if you no longer sin does it mean that ...

...you are without sin?
...you are perfect?
...you deserve or have earned salvation?
...you do not need salvation?

I will have a go at answering your questions.

From a Christian perspective:
If I was to no longer sin it does not mean that I am without sin. "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." I think it may mean that a person has reached a stage in their life where they are able to more readily choose not to sin. "LOL. If that is even possible."

If I was to no longer sin, it would not mean that I was perfect. Perfection comes when we are changed.

If I was to no longer sin it would not mean that I deserved or had earned salvation. None of us deserve or can earn salvation. Salvation is a gift from God so that none of us can boast.

If I was to no longer sin, it would not mean that I did not need salvation. We cannot save ourselves, only Jesus can do that.

From a non Christian perspective:
I would most likely think that I was not a sinner, was perfect, deserved or had earned salvation. And would most definitely think that I did not need saving. What a scary thought, I used to be just like that.

At this point in time, that is the best I can do.

Re: Sinning Not #11034
10/13/04 03:15 AM
10/13/04 03:15 AM
D
DenBorg  Offline OP
Blanchard, OK
Thank-you Shelley for your comments. I most definitely agree with you!

Re: Sinning Not #11035
10/12/04 11:37 PM
10/12/04 11:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1. It depends on what "without sin" means. In terms of meriting salvation, it would be necessary to live one's whole life without sin, so a person who "lives the rest of his life without sinning" would be just as much not without sin as someone who didn't. (hope the double negatives can be followed)

2. It depends on what "perfect" means. If perfect means to be Christ-like, I suppose in some sense that would have to be true, as the only way someone could go without sinning would be to be like Christ. Here's a statement from EGW: "God has made provision that all may be made like unto Him [Christ], and He will accomplish that for all who do not interpose a perverse will and thus frustrate His grace." (MB 71 I think) This is commenting on the verse, "Be ye therefore perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect". To be perfect is to be like Christ.

Note that whatsoever is not of faith is sin, so not sinning encompasses living completely by faith, as well as being in perfect harmony with the Law, the transcript of God's character, in thought, word and deed.

3. Since it is not possible to do even one right thing without Christ, it is rediculous for one to think they can merit salvation.

4. Same answer as 3.

Re: Sinning Not #11036
10/13/04 09:33 PM
10/13/04 09:33 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Interesting questions!

I agree with the above posts, although I would like to add one thought.

We cannot live without sin separate from God. To think that we have earned or merited our salvation/place in heaven because we live a sinless life would be selfishly and wrongly taking the credit for something God did, and, ultimately (in my view) be a sin.

I believe, that, ultimately, our goal in Christ should be to live as He lived, thus be perfect and without sin.

That takes a lot of work by Christ within and doesn't (generally) happen overnight. Also requires a relationship. "With Christ all things are possible" Yes, it is possible to live a sinless live from here on out.... Doesn't mean sinless from birth though [Smile]

Re: Sinning Not #11037
10/14/04 11:15 PM
10/14/04 11:15 PM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
Maybe studying the life of Enoch would help answer this question........

He is a representative of those alive/saved/God's people. when He comes to claim His own.

We are living in the days of the 144.000...they are without fault, and the charater of Christ is perfectly reproduced in His people.....they are sinless, so they can see Jesus face to face.

The only part of us that is changed when Jesus comes is Glorification. When the judgement is over before Jesus comes....He says, "Rev 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still."

It is too late to gain spiritual perfection after the close of our probation [the verse above} but this mortal body will put on immortality.....and off we go to eternity. Praise God.

So where are we in this equation?

Re: Sinning Not #11038
10/15/04 02:22 AM
10/15/04 02:22 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. you are without sin?

Yes, of course. Only sinless people can go and sin no more.

2. you are perfect?

Yes, of course. At least, morally.

3. you deserve or have earned salvation?

No, no, no.

4. you do not need salvation?

No, no, no.

Re: Sinning Not #11039
10/15/04 06:06 PM
10/15/04 06:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Why is it that so many claim to be holy and sinless? It is because they are so far from Christ. I have never dared to claim any such a thing. From the time that I was 14 years old, if I knew what the will of God was, I was willing to do it. You never have heard me say I am sinless. Those that get sight of the loveliness and exalted character of Jesus Christ, who was holy and lifted up and His train fills the temple, will never say it. Yet we are to meet with those that will say such things more and more.--Manuscript 5, 1885.

Re: Sinning Not #11040
10/15/04 06:29 PM
10/15/04 06:29 PM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
Wow. A pretty marked contrast there.

Re: Sinning Not #11041
10/15/04 07:09 PM
10/15/04 07:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Contrast? No, not at all. Saying, I am sinless, and being, Perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect - are two totally different things. Not even Jesus boasted about being sinless. We are born again morally sinless.

Galatians
2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

1 Peter
4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of [his] time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

Sister White encourages us to be holy and sinless, like Jesus.

AG 179
As Christ in His humanity sought strength from His Father, that He might be enabled to endure trial and temptation, so are we to do. We are to follow the example of the sinless Son of God. Daily we need help and grace and power from the Source of all power. We are to cast our helpless souls upon the One who is ready to help us in every time of need. Too often we forget the Lord. Self gives way to impulse, and we lose the victories that we should gain. {AG 179.4}

HP 166
"Be ye therefore perfect" (Matt. 5:48) is God's word to us. And in order that we might obey this word, He sent His only-begotten Son to this earth to live in our behalf a perfect life. We have before us His example, and the strength by which He lived this life is at our disposal. In thought, word, and act Jesus was sinless. Perfection marked all that He did. He points us to the path that He trod, saying, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me" (Matt. 16:24). {HP 166.4}

HP 146
Those who believe on Christ and obey His commandments are not under bondage to God's law; for to those who believe and obey, His law is not a law of bondage, but of liberty. Everyone who believes on Christ, everyone who relies on the keeping power of a risen Saviour that has suffered the penalty pronounced upon the transgressor, everyone who resists temptation and in the midst of evil copies the pattern given in the Christ life, will through faith in the atoning sacrifice of Christ become a partaker of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. Everyone who by faith obeys God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. {HP 146.5}

6BC 1118
Those only who through faith in Christ obey all of God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. They testify to their love of Christ by obeying all His precepts (MS 122, 1901). {6BC 1118.10}

Whenever Sister White denounced saying, I am sinless, it was always in the context of false sanctification and law breaking.

FW 53
While they profess to be sinless and boast of their righteousness, the claimants of sanctification teach that men are at liberty to transgress the law of God and that those who obey its precepts have fallen from grace. {FW 53.3}

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!