HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,366 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 51 of 55 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109894
03/15/09 04:18 PM
03/15/09 04:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

Quote:
Of the 45 sins blacklisted above where do you see smoking and drinking fitting in?

Where do you think it fits in? I don't feel like looking through the list. I'm sure you'll pick a good spot. Why does it matter?

Quote:
Do you view his obstinacy as one of his more offensive sins? And, do you view his uncharitable views of some as one of his more offensive sins? Also, do you think his drinking was one of the 45 sins blacklisted above? If so, which one?

I haven't thought about this, and I don't care to. What difference does this make? All I was doing was making the point that born again people can ignorantly commit sins, which you seem to be in full agreement with (provided they are a part of your "first group") so why is there a need to further discuss this? You had appeared to be disagreeing with me when I first brought this up, so I gave Luther as an example to disprove what you were saying. Then you articulated the concept of a "second group," which you said Luther was not a part of. So this became a moot issue. Why are you still talking about it?

Quote:
M: I’m having a hard time reconciling your interpretation in light of the following plainly worded statements: “They which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God . . . They which commit such things are worthy of death.”

T: Just read in the word "deliberately." People who ignorantly sin won't be judged for such, unless they take purposeful actions to be ignorant. It seems to me this is the same thing you're saying.

M:I’m not comfortable adding to the word of God.

This isn't true at all, at least, not in the sense I'm speaking of, which is simply adding an English word for clarification as to the author's intent. You even change the meaning of words written in English(!) when it suits you. "For example 'sin' doesn't mean what it normally means; 'pardon' doesn't mean what it normally means," etc. So this complaint rings hollow.

And you don't even disagree with my point, as you agree that people will be in heaven even though they smoke or drank, which you said was on the list of sins you compiled.

So I don't follow what you're doing here. Why are you talking about this?

Quote:
M: You’ll notice that I included your view above.

T: I agree in the process of conversion people see their sins in the light of the cross, and this is something they would not have done before conversion.

M:Do you agree with me that seeing their sins for the first time in light of the cross makes a huge difference in how they view their sins? If so, what do think accounts for it?

Seeing the character of God revealed is what makes the difference. If this is what you mean by "in the light of the cross," I agree with what you said. What accounts for the difference is seeing the character of God. Seeing God's goodness leads us to repentance.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109902
03/15/09 05:13 PM
03/15/09 05:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding 109797, I'm stepping in the middle, because I've responded to the first part.

Quote:
I disagree with your idea that the loyal angels were somehow, someway, not secure until AD 31.

It's not my idea. I wouldn't have known this except for Ellen White.

Quote:
Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure.(DA 764)

Quote:
The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan. (DA Bible Commentary, vol. 5, p. 1132)

Quote:
No, I do not agree with you that Paul was addressing every human being born on this planet. He was talking about people who once understood the truth about God and then turned their back on Him. He was definitely not talking about “heathens” or “savages” who have never heard name of God.

Here's what Paul said:

Quote:
18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.

Now you seem to wish to reinterpret Paul as saying that the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against some godlessness and wickedness, but Paul says it's revealed against all. Also, in context, even apart from Paul explicitly saying this includes all, it can be seen to be all, because Paul's whole argument in the first part of Romans is that all are condemned.

One more point. The text is clearly pointing out that nature reveals God. Doesn't nature reveal God to everybody?

Finally, Paul makes no indication that he intended his remarks to be limited to some special group.

Quote:
T: Yes it is, unless you didn't mean what you said. You said people can live ignorantly in sin. This is just what you said. Do you disagree with what you said earlier? Perhaps so, since you're now saying they cannot live together without a sense of shame.

M:People can sin in ignorance, but only in relation to the first four commandments. I have never said two people can live in sin (i.e. living and sleeping together unlawfully) without feeling uncomfortable about it. Yes, they can harden their heart and not feel shame.

You said people could live in sin ignorantly. I called your attention to this right as you said it. Do you disagree with what you said earlier?

Quote:
T: We've spoken about this. I've said I disagreed, and that I think you have a superficial view of what constitutes sin, because you think it's something which can be covered by the SDA fundamental beliefs. By the way, these beliefs have changed over time. Also, the SOP tells us not all of what we believe is necessarily without error.

EGW:There is no excuse for anyone in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation.

T:I'm mentioning this because if you're basing your idea of what it means to sin on the basis of our fundamental beliefs, that's shaky ground.

M:Do you *suspect* one or more of our fundamental beliefs are in error and are the source of SDAs sinning ignorantly? Also, do you think certain subtle sins are overlooked by our fundamental beliefs? If so, please name them. Thank you.

No, I was simply pointing out the flaw in your attitude regarding the fundamental beliefs, especially your apparently attitude that they cannot be in error (see the EGW quote).

Quote:
Personally, I believe they meant precisely what they said, namely, that anyone who practices the sins they blacklisted will not be admitted to heaven. So, yes, I do not believe smoking and drinking are included or any other sin believers can commit in ignorance.

This is different than what you said before, which was that smoking and drinking were included in the list. This is tiring! This looking at lists isn't even something I have the least interest in. I've pointed this out to you a number of times. I only do it because it's something you seem extremely interested in. However, if you switch what you're saying, it makes it very difficult to carry on a conversation. You're free to change your mind on things, of course, but it would make it a whole lot easier if you would state when you're doing this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109908
03/15/09 05:56 PM
03/15/09 05:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: You seem to be suggesting that SDAs who are living in perfect harmony with our fundamental beliefs come short of the glory of God. In what way?

T: The fundamental beliefs are doctrines. A person can agree to believe and do certain things without even being converted. The Pharisees are examples of this.

M:You didn’t answer my question. How can a born again converted person live in perfect harmony with our beliefs and come short of the glory of God?

What do you mean? The answer is right above your post.

Regarding the rest of this, I didn't see anything to respond to that I haven't already responded to, except for this:

Quote:
T: What evidence do you have that she even conceived of such a class of people?

M:The evidence is as follows: ... You seem to think the state of sinlessness described above can be reached only after years of sinning less and less until sinning ceases altogether. If so, please post inspired passages to support such an assertion.

What you posted didn't remotely come close to what you are suggesting. You are suggesting there are two different classes of people who are born again, one class which continue to practice sins of ignorance until the Holy Spirit convicts them of sin, and another class who are instantly perfect or sanctified. Now while EGW describes a class of people who are sanctified, or perfect (namely, the 144,000), she in no way suggests that these people got in that condition instantly.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109998
03/16/09 05:47 PM
03/16/09 05:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
1. evil thoughts,
2. adulteries,
3. fornications,
4. murders,
5. Thefts,
6. covetousness,
7. wickedness,
8. deceit,
9. lasciviousness,
10. an evil eye,
11. blasphemy,
12. pride,
13. foolishness:
14. a reprobate mind,
15. things which are not convenient;
16. Being filled with all unrighteousness,
17. maliciousness;
18. full of envy,
19. debate,
20. deceit,
21. malignity;
22. whisperers,
23. Backbiters,
24. haters of God,
25. despiteful,
26. boasters,
27. inventors of evil things,
28. disobedient to parents,
29. covenantbreakers,
30. without natural affection,
31. implacable,
32. unmerciful:
33. have pleasure in them that do them.
34. uncleanness,
35. Idolatry,
36. witchcraft,
37. hatred,
38. variance,
39. emulations,
40. wrath,
41. strife,
42. seditions,
43. heresies,
44. drunkenness,
45. revellings,

M: Of the 45 sins blacklisted above where do you see smoking and drinking fitting in?

T: Where do you think it fits in? I don't feel like looking through the list. I'm sure you'll pick a good spot. Why does it matter?

It matters because Jesus thought it was important enough to talk about. He also inspired Paul and others to write about it. You’re the one who is insisting that born again believers can commit some of the sins Jesus and Paul blacklisted above without realizing they are sinning. You also seem to think it is because the Holy Spirit is waiting for the right time to reveal it to them, that to reveal it too soon would turn them away. When asked to say exactly which sins this applies to you name two that neither Jesus nor Paul listed. What’s up?

Quote:
T: Yes it is, unless you didn't mean what you said. You said people can live ignorantly in sin. This is just what you said. Do you disagree with what you said earlier? Perhaps so, since you're now saying they cannot live together without a sense of shame.

M: People can sin in ignorance, but only in relation to the first four commandments. I have never said two people can live in sin (i.e. living and sleeping together unlawfully) without feeling uncomfortable about it. Yes, they can harden their heart and not feel shame.

T: You said people could live in sin ignorantly. I called your attention to this right as you said it. Do you disagree with what you said earlier?

I must have misunderstood what you said because I have never believed people can live together unlawfully without feeling uncomfortable, that is, until they harden their hearts.

Quote:
M: Do you *suspect* one or more of our fundamental beliefs are in error and are the source of SDAs sinning ignorantly? Also, do you think certain subtle sins are overlooked by our fundamental beliefs? If so, please name them. Thank you.

T: No, I was simply pointing out the flaw in your attitude regarding the fundamental beliefs, especially your apparently attitude that they cannot be in error (see the EGW quote).

Personally I do not believe any of our fundamental beliefs are wrong or partly wrong. Nor do I believe living harmony with them results in sinning ignorantly. And, I do not believe they overlook the subtle sins you alluded to. Do you agree with me on all three points?

Quote:
T: What evidence do you have that she even conceived of such a class of people?

M: The evidence is as follows:

Quote:
"The prince of this world cometh," said Jesus, "and hath nothing in Me." John 14:30. There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan's sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So it may be with us. Christ's humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And He came to make us partakers of the divine nature. So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character. {DA 123.3}

Now, while our great High Priest is making the atonement for us, we should seek to become perfect in Christ. Not even by a thought could our Saviour be brought to yield to the power of temptation. Satan finds in human hearts some point where he can gain a foothold; some sinful desire is cherished, by means of which his temptations assert their power. But Christ declared of Himself: "The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in Me." John 14:30. Satan could find nothing in the Son of God that would enable him to gain the victory. He had kept His Father's commandments, and there was no sin in Him that Satan could use to his advantage. This is the condition in which those must be found who shall stand in the time of trouble. {GC 623.1}

M: You seem to think the state of sinlessness described above can be reached only after years of sinning less and less until sinning ceases altogether. If so, please post inspired passages to support such an assertion.

T: What you posted didn't remotely come close to what you are suggesting. You are suggesting there are two different classes of people who are born again, one class which continue to practice sins of ignorance until the Holy Spirit convicts them of sin, and another class who are instantly perfect or sanctified. Now while EGW describes a class of people who are sanctified, or perfect (namely, the 144,000), she in no way suggests that these people got in that condition instantly.

What I’m saying is the experience described above is available to people who experience rebirth and conversion simultaneously, that is, they 1) learn how to crucify their old man habits of sin, and 2) learn how to live in harmony with everything Jesus commanded – both during the same process and time period.

I am not saying they experience instant perfection or instant sanctification. There is nothing instant about it. It is the result of “long wooing . . . a patient, protracted process.” See quote below. In some cases people complete the process of converting from the ways of the world to the ways of God within a few months. In such cases, they reach the sinless state described above, which is not to say they have no more room to grow and mature. Instead, like Jesus, who grew and matured from childhood to manhood, so too, they grow and mature daily in the fruits of the Spirit – so long as they are actively and aggressively abiding in Jesus, partaking of the divine nature, walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man.

Quote:
A person may not be able to tell the exact time or place, or to trace all the circumstances in the process of conversion; but this does not prove him to be unconverted. By an agency as unseen as the wind, Christ is constantly working upon the heart. Little by little, perhaps unconsciously to the receiver, impressions are made that tend to draw the soul to Christ. These may be received through meditating upon Him, through reading the Scriptures, or through hearing the word from the living preacher. Suddenly, as the Spirit comes with more direct appeal, the soul gladly surrenders itself to Jesus. By many this is called sudden conversion; but it is the result of long wooing by the Spirit of God,--a patient, protracted process. {DA 172.3}

Do you think in some cases people 1) learn how to crucify their old man habits of sin, and 2) learn how to live in harmony with everything Jesus commanded within a few months? And, do you think the two quotes below describe them? Please elaborate.

Quote:
"The prince of this world cometh," said Jesus, "and hath nothing in Me." John 14:30. There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan's sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So it may be with us. Christ's humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And He came to make us partakers of the divine nature. So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character. {DA 123.3}

Now, while our great High Priest is making the atonement for us, we should seek to become perfect in Christ. Not even by a thought could our Saviour be brought to yield to the power of temptation. Satan finds in human hearts some point where he can gain a foothold; some sinful desire is cherished, by means of which his temptations assert their power. But Christ declared of Himself: "The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in Me." John 14:30. Satan could find nothing in the Son of God that would enable him to gain the victory. He had kept His Father's commandments, and there was no sin in Him that Satan could use to his advantage. This is the condition in which those must be found who shall stand in the time of trouble. {GC 623.1}

Think of the eleventh hour believers during the Loud Cry who come out of Babylon in response to the 3AMs. How long do they have to reach the sinless state described above?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #110112
03/18/09 01:59 AM
03/18/09 01:59 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The following description of rebirth and conversion agrees with the view I've been advocating. It refutes the idea that most born again believers continue to ignorantly practice some of the sins they cultivated prior to rebirth.

There are those who listen to the truth, and are convinced that they have been living in opposition to Christ. They are condemned, and they repent of their transgressions. Relying upon the merits of Christ, exercising true faith in Him, they receive pardon for sin. As they cease to do evil and learn to do well, they grow in grace and in the knowledge of God. They see that they must sacrifice in order to separate from the world; and, after counting the cost, they look upon all as loss if they may but win Christ. They have enlisted in Christ's army. {MYP 73.3}

The warfare is before them, and they enter it bravely and cheerfully, fighting against their natural inclinations and selfish desires, bringing the will into subjection to the will of Christ. Daily they seek the Lord for grace to obey Him, and they are strengthened and helped. This is true conversion. {MYP 73.3}

In humble, grateful dependence he who has been given a new heart relies upon the help of Christ. He reveals in his life the fruit of righteousness. He once loved himself. Worldly pleasure was his delight. Now his idol is dethroned, and God reigns supreme. The sins he once loved he now hates. Firmly and resolutely he follows in the path of holiness. {MYP 73.3}

This ingrafting in Christ separates us from the world. No longer will we love the society of the vile and contaminated and contaminating. We will be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Then rich clusters of fruit are borne. The graces of the Spirit are borne in love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness. We have new affections, new appetites, new tastes. Old things have passed away, and lo, all things have become new. {TSB 135.2}

The old nature, born of blood and the will of the flesh, cannot inherit the kingdom of God. The old ways, the hereditary tendencies, the former habits, must be given up; for grace is not inherited. The new birth consists in having new motives, new tastes, new tendencies. Those who are begotten unto a new life by the Holy Spirit, have become partakers of the divine nature, and in all their habits and practices they will give evidence of their relationship to Christ. {Mar 237.1}

When men who claim to be Christians retain all their natural defects of character and disposition, in what does their position differ from that of the worldling? They do not appreciate the truth as a sanctifier, a refiner. They have not been born again. A genuine conversion changes hereditary and cultivated tendencies to wrong. {Mar 237.1}

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #110129
03/18/09 02:48 PM
03/18/09 02:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: I disagree with your idea that the loyal angels were somehow, someway, not secure until AD 31.

T: It's not my idea. I wouldn't have known this except for Ellen White:

Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure.(DA 764)

The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan. (DA Bible Commentary, vol. 5, p. 1132)

It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan. {5BC 1132.8}

Please consider the following additional insights: "They were to enjoy communion with God and with holy angels; but before they could be rendered eternally secure, their loyalty must be tested. {PP 48} "If they steadfastly repelled his first insinuations, they would be as secure as the heavenly messengers. {PP 53}

Here she says A&E would have been as eternally secure as the loyal angels had they passed the test of loyalty. In order for this to be true the angels would have had to be already eternally secure. Otherwise, even if A&E had passed the test they would have been no more secure than you say the angels were at this time.

"When Adam and Eve were placed in the beautiful garden they had everything for their happiness which they could desire. But God chose, in His all-wise arrangements, to test their loyalty before they could be rendered eternally secure. They were to have His favor, and He was to converse with them and they with Him. Yet He did not place evil out of their reach. Satan was permitted to tempt them. If they endured the trial they were to be in perpetual favor with God and the heavenly angels. {SR 24.2}

Eternal security and perpetual favor with God was available to A&E the moment they passed the test of loyalty. And this would have been true before Satan spent 4,000 years proving his unfitness for heaven and his worthiness of death. Also, the death of Jesus would not have been necessary. The angels were secure before any of this happened.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #110290
03/20/09 03:38 PM
03/20/09 03:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you see the point?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #110295
03/20/09 06:42 PM
03/20/09 06:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
It matters because Jesus thought it was important enough to talk about. He also inspired Paul and others to write about it. You’re the one who is insisting that born again believers can commit some of the sins Jesus and Paul blacklisted above without realizing they are sinning. You also seem to think it is because the Holy Spirit is waiting for the right time to reveal it to them, that to reveal it too soon would turn them away. When asked to say exactly which sins this applies to you name two that neither Jesus nor Paul listed. What’s up?

I don't think Jesus even thought along these terms. Or Paul. The point was bringing out the necessity of being converted, not to build some theology based on a list.

Quote:
T: You said people could live in sin ignorantly. I called your attention to this right as you said it. Do you disagree with what you said earlier?

M:I must have misunderstood what you said because I have never believed people can live together unlawfully without feeling uncomfortable, that is, until they harden their hearts.

You said people could live in sin ignorantly. I called this to your attention when you said it, because it struck me as being different than what you had said earlier. I don't see how there can be a question of your misunderstanding me involved here. I can see there being an issue of your having misspoken.

Quote:
M: Do you *suspect* one or more of our fundamental beliefs are in error and are the source of SDAs sinning ignorantly? Also, do you think certain subtle sins are overlooked by our fundamental beliefs? If so, please name them. Thank you.

T: No, I was simply pointing out the flaw in your attitude regarding the fundamental beliefs, especially your apparently attitude that they cannot be in error (see the EGW quote).

M:Personally I do not believe any of our fundamental beliefs are wrong or partly wrong. Nor do I believe living harmony with them results in sinning ignorantly. And, I do not believe they overlook the subtle sins you alluded to. Do you agree with me on all three points?

I was getting at the idea that the fundamental beliefs could be wrong or partly wrong. Do you think that's possible? I think the fundamental beliefs are not concerned with defining what a perfect Christian is. I don't think "overlook" is a proper way of addressing this, as this wasn't a concern. The purpose of the Fundamental beliefs is to set forth what the beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist church is. I can't think of any FB's that I disagree with.

Quote:
What I’m saying is the experience described above is available to people who experience rebirth and conversion simultaneously, that is, they 1) learn how to crucify their old man habits of sin, and 2) learn how to live in harmony with everything Jesus commanded – both during the same process and time period.

I am not saying they experience instant perfection or instant sanctification. There is nothing instant about it. It is the result of “long wooing . . . a patient, protracted process.” See quote below. In some cases people complete the process of converting from the ways of the world to the ways of God within a few months. In such cases, they reach the sinless state described above, which is not to say they have no more room to grow and mature. Instead, like Jesus, who grew and matured from childhood to manhood, so too, they grow and mature daily in the fruits of the Spirit – so long as they are actively and aggressively abiding in Jesus, partaking of the divine nature, walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man.

It is instant sanctification. This is what you're describing here:

Quote:
What I’m saying is the experience described above is available to people who experience rebirth and conversion simultaneously

The "experience described above" is the sanctification part, and the "experience rebirth and conversion simultaneously" is the instantly part, where "conversion" means "sanctification." (i.e., your usage of the word "conversion" = "sanctification.")

Before the person is born again, the person is unconverted, lost, an unbeliever. You're suggesting that when the person believe in Christ, he is instantly perfect (i.e., at that instant perfect, in the sense of not committing any sins, known or unknown), even though a moment earlier the person wasn't even a believer. That the process to get to the point of believing takes a while is irrelevant. The "instant sanctification" has to do with the time from believing to not sinning, which is, in your view, an instant, and hence "instant sanctification."

Quote:
Do you think in some cases people 1) learn how to crucify their old man habits of sin, and 2) learn how to live in harmony with everything Jesus commanded within a few months? And, do you think the two quotes below describe them? Please elaborate.

Think of the eleventh hour believers during the Loud Cry who come out of Babylon in response to the 3AMs. How long do they have to reach the sinless state described above?

I think it's more like a couple of years. If you look at the 1888 message, when this (i.e. Christ's Second Coming, and the events leading up to it) almost happened, you can get an idea as to a possible time line.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #110296
03/20/09 06:57 PM
03/20/09 06:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The following description of rebirth and conversion agrees with the view I've been advocating. It refutes the idea that most born again believers continue to ignorantly practice some of the sins they cultivated prior to rebirth.

But you agree with the idea that born again believers continue to ignorantly sin, unless they're in your second group.

Quote:
Tom, do you see the point?

I think so. The point is you're being inconsistent.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #110530
03/26/09 06:17 PM
03/26/09 06:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: It matters because Jesus thought it was important enough to talk about. He also inspired Paul and others to write about it. You’re the one who is insisting that born again believers can commit some of the sins Jesus and Paul blacklisted above without realizing they are sinning. You also seem to think it is because the Holy Spirit is waiting for the right time to reveal it to them, that to reveal it too soon would turn them away. When asked to say exactly which sins this applies to you name two that neither Jesus nor Paul listed. What’s up?

T: I don't think Jesus even thought along these terms. Or Paul. The point was bringing out the necessity of being converted, not to build some theology based on a list.

Even the Decalogue pin points what not to do. God is very concerned about sinners knowing what not to do. You seem to think it doesn’t matter or that it is of minor importance. You keep insisting that born again believers regularly commit some of the sins Jesus and Paul blacklisted above without realizing they are sinning. Why?

Quote:

M: I must have misunderstood what you said because I have never believed people can live together unlawfully without feeling uncomfortable, that is, until they harden their hearts.

T: You said people could live in sin ignorantly. I called this to your attention when you said it, because it struck me as being different than what you had said earlier. I don't see how there can be a question of your misunderstanding me involved here. I can see there being an issue of your having misspoken.

People can and do sin ignorantly. I have maintained this belief consistently from the beginning. I have also said no one can “live in sin” (shacking up) without initially feeling wrong about it.

Quote:

M: Personally I do not believe any of our fundamental beliefs are wrong or partly wrong. Nor do I believe living in harmony with them results in sinning ignorantly. And, I do not believe they overlook the subtle sins you alluded to. Do you agree with me on all three points?

T: I was getting at the idea that the fundamental beliefs could be wrong or partly wrong. Do you think that's possible?

M: No.

T: I think the fundamental beliefs are not concerned with defining what a perfect Christian is. I don't think "overlook" is a proper way of addressing this, as this wasn't a concern. The purpose of the Fundamental beliefs is to set forth what the beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist church is. I can't think of any FB's that I disagree with.

I disagree. The following beliefs define very carefully what it means to imitate the sinless example of Jesus, what it means to be a Christian.

Quote:
10. Experience of Salvation:
In infinite love and mercy God made Christ, who knew no sin, to be sin for us, so that in Him we might be made the righteousness of God. Led by the Holy Spirit we sense our need, acknowledge our sinfulness, repent of our transgressions, and exercise faith in Jesus as Lord and Christ, as Substitute and Example. This faith which receives salvation comes through the divine power of the Word and is the gift of God's grace. Through Christ we are justified, adopted as God's sons and daughters, and delivered from the lordship of sin. Through the Spirit we are born again and sanctified; the Spirit renews our minds, writes God's law of love in our hearts, and we are given the power to live a holy life. Abiding in Him we become partakers of the divine nature and have the assurance of salvation now and in the judgment. (2 Cor. 5:17-21; John 3:16; Gal. 1:4; 4:4-7; Titus 3:3-7; John 16:8; Gal. 3:13, 14; 1 Peter 2:21, 22; Rom. 10:17; Luke 17:5; Mark 9:23, 24; Eph. 2:5-10; Rom. 3:21-26; Col. 1:13, 14; Rom. 8:14-17; Gal. 3:26; John 3:3-8; 1 Peter 1:23; Rom. 12:2; Heb. 8:7-12; Eze. 36:25-27; 2 Peter 1:3, 4; Rom. 8:1-4; 5:6-10.)

11. Growing in Christ:
By His death on the cross Jesus triumphed over the forces of evil. He who subjugated the demonic spirits during His earthly ministry has broken their power and made certain their ultimate doom. Jesus' victory gives us victory over the evil forces that still seek to control us, as we walk with Him in peace, joy, and assurance of His love. Now the Holy Spirit dwells within us and empowers us. Continually committed to Jesus as our Saviour and Lord, we are set free from the burden of our past deeds. No longer do we live in the darkness, fear of evil powers, ignorance, and meaninglessness of our former way of life. In this new freedom in Jesus, we are called to grow into the likeness of His character, communing with Him daily in prayer, feeding on His Word, meditating on it and on His providence, singing His praises, gathering together for worship, and participating in the mission of the Church. As we give ourselves in loving service to those around us and in witnessing to His salvation, His constant presence with us through the Spirit transforms every moment and every task into a spiritual experience. (Ps 1:1, 2; 23:4; 77:11, 12; Col 1:13, 14; 2:6, 14, 15; Luke 10:17-20; Eph 5:19, 20; 6:12-18; 1 Thess 5:23; 2 Peter 2:9; 3:18; 2 Cor. 3:17, 18; Phil 3:7-14; 1 Thess 5:16-18; Matt 20:25-28; John 20:21; Gal 5:22-25; Rom 8:38, 39; 1 John 4:4; Heb 10:25.)

14. Unity in the Body of Christ:
The church is one body with many members, called from every nation, kindred, tongue, and people. In Christ we are a new creation; distinctions of race, culture, learning, and nationality, and differences between high and low, rich and poor, male and female, must not be divisive among us. We are all equal in Christ, who by one Spirit has bonded us into one fellowship with Him and with one another; we are to serve and be served without partiality or reservation. Through the revelation of Jesus Christ in the Scriptures we share the same faith and hope, and reach out in one witness to all. This unity has its source in the oneness of the triune God, who has adopted us as His children. (Rom. 12:4, 5; 1 Cor. 12:12-14; Matt. 28:19, 20; Ps. 133:1; 2 Cor. 5:16, 17; Acts 17:26, 27; Gal. 3:27, 29; Col. 3:10-15; Eph. 4:14-16; 4:1-6; John 17:20-23.)

17. Spiritual Gifts and Ministries:
God bestows upon all members of His church in every age spiritual gifts which each member is to employ in loving ministry for the common good of the church and of humanity. Given by the agency of the Holy Spirit, who apportions to each member as He wills, the gifts provide all abilities and ministries needed by the church to fulfill its divinely ordained functions. According to the Scriptures, these gifts include such ministries as faith, healing, prophecy, proclamation, teaching, administration, reconciliation, compassion, and self-sacrificing service and charity for the help and encouragement of people. Some members are called of God and endowed by the Spirit for functions recognized by the church in pastoral, evangelistic, apostolic, and teaching ministries particularly needed to equip the members for service, to build up the church to spiritual maturity, and to foster unity of the faith and knowledge of God. When members employ these spiritual gifts as faithful stewards of God's varied grace, the church is protected from the destructive influence of false doctrine, grows with a growth that is from God, and is built up in faith and love. (Rom. 12:4-8; 1 Cor. 12:9-11, 27, 28; Eph. 4:8, 11-16; Acts 6:1-7; 1 Tim. 3:1-13; 1 Peter 4:10, 11.)

19. Law of God:
The great principles of God's law are embodied in the Ten Commandments and exemplified in the life of Christ. They express God's love, will, and purposes concerning human conduct and relationships and are binding upon all people in every age. These precepts are the basis of God's covenant with His people and the standard in God's judgment. Through the agency of the Holy Spirit they point out sin and awaken a sense of need for a Saviour. Salvation is all of grace and not of works, but its fruitage is obedience to the Commandments. This obedience develops Christian character and results in a sense of well-being. It is an evidence of our love for the Lord and our concern for our fellow men. The obedience of faith demonstrates the power of Christ to transform lives, and therefore strengthens Christian witness. (Ex. 20:1-17; Ps. 40:7, 8; Matt. 22:36-40; Deut. 28:1-14; Matt. 5:17-20; Heb. 8:8-10; John 15:7-10; Eph. 2:8-10; 1 John 5:3; Rom. 8:3, 4; Ps. 19:7-14.)

20. Sabbath:
The beneficent Creator, after the six days of Creation, rested on the seventh day and instituted the Sabbath for all people as a memorial of Creation. The fourth commandment of God's unchangeable law requires the observance of this seventh-day Sabbath as the day of rest, worship, and ministry in harmony with the teaching and practice of Jesus, the Lord of the Sabbath. The Sabbath is a day of delightful communion with God and one another. It is a symbol of our redemption in Christ, a sign of our sanctification, a token of our allegiance, and a foretaste of our eternal future in God's kingdom. The Sabbath is God's perpetual sign of His eternal covenant between Him and His people. Joyful observance of this holy time from evening to evening, sunset to sunset, is a celebration of God's creative and redemptive acts. (Gen. 2:1-3; Ex. 20:8-11; Luke 4:16; Isa. 56:5, 6; 58:13, 14; Matt. 12:1-12; Ex. 31:13-17; Eze. 20:12, 20; Deut. 5:12-15; Heb. 4:1-11; Lev. 23:32; Mark 1:32.)

21. Stewardship:
We are God's stewards, entrusted by Him with time and opportunities, abilities and possessions, and the blessings of the earth and its resources. We are responsible to Him for their proper use. We acknowledge God's ownership by faithful service to Him and our fellow men, and by returning tithes and giving offerings for the proclamation of His gospel and the support and growth of His church. Stewardship is a privilege given to us by God for nurture in love and the victory over selfishness and covetousness. The steward rejoices in the blessings that come to others as a result of his faithfulness. (Gen. 1:26-28; 2:15; 1 Chron. 29:14; Haggai 1:3-11; Mal. 3:8-12; 1 Cor. 9:9-14; Matt. 23:23; 2 Cor. 8:1-15; Rom. 15:26, 27.)

22. Christian Behavior:
We are called to be a godly people who think, feel, and act in harmony with the principles of heaven. For the Spirit to recreate in us the character of our Lord we involve ourselves only in those things which will produce Christlike purity, health, and joy in our lives. This means that our amusement and entertainment should meet the highest standards of Christian taste and beauty. While recognizing cultural differences, our dress is to be simple, modest, and neat, befitting those whose true beauty does not consist of outward adornment but in the imperishable ornament of a gentle and quiet spirit. It also means that because our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit, we are to care for them intelligently. Along with adequate exercise and rest, we are to adopt the most healthful diet possible and abstain from the unclean foods identified in the Scriptures. Since alcoholic beverages, tobacco, and the irresponsible use of drugs and narcotics are harmful to our bodies, we are to abstain from them as well. Instead, we are to engage in whatever brings our thoughts and bodies into the discipline of Christ, who desires our wholesomeness, joy, and goodness. (Rom. 12:1, 2; 1 John 2:6; Eph. 5:1-21; Phil. 4:8; 2 Cor. 10:5; 6:14-7:1; 1 Peter 3:1-4; 1 Cor. 6:19, 20; 10:31; Lev. 11:1-47; 3 John 2.)

23. Marriage and the Family:
Marriage was divinely established in Eden and affirmed by Jesus to be a lifelong union between a man and a woman in loving companionship. For the Christian a marriage commitment is to God as well as to the spouse, and should be entered into only between partners who share a common faith. Mutual love, honor, respect, and responsibility are the fabric of this relationship, which is to reflect the love, sanctity, closeness, and permanence of the relationship between Christ and His church. Regarding divorce, Jesus taught that the person who divorces a spouse, except for fornication, and marries another, commits adultery. Although some family relationships may fall short of the ideal, marriage partners who fully commit themselves to each other in Christ may achieve loving unity through the guidance of the Spirit and the nurture of the church. God blesses the family and intends that its members shall assist each other toward complete maturity. Parents are to bring up their children to love and obey the Lord. By their example and their words they are to teach them that Christ is a loving disciplinarian, ever tender and caring, who wants them to become members of His body, the family of God. Increasing family closeness is one of the earmarks of the final gospel message. (Gen. 2:18-25; Matt. 19:3-9; John 2:1-11; 2 Cor. 6:14; Eph. 5:21-33; Matt. 5:31, 32; Mark 10:11, 12; Luke 16:18; 1 Cor. 7:10, 11; Ex. 20:12; Eph. 6:1-4; Deut. 6:5-9; Prov. 22:6; Mal. 4:5, 6.)

In what way do you think these beliefs come short of defining what it means to be like Jesus, to be perfect like Him?

Quote:
M: What I’m saying is the experience described above is available to people who experience rebirth and conversion simultaneously, that is, they 1) learn how to crucify their old man habits of sin, and 2) learn how to live in harmony with everything Jesus commanded – both during the same process and time period.

T: It is instant sanctification. This is what you're describing here:

Quote:
What I’m saying is the experience described above is available to people who experience rebirth and conversion simultaneously

The "experience described above" is the sanctification part, and the "experience rebirth and conversion simultaneously" is the instantly part, where "conversion" means "sanctification." (i.e., your usage of the word "conversion" = "sanctification.")

Before the person is born again, the person is unconverted, lost, an unbeliever. You're suggesting that when the person believe in Christ, he is instantly perfect (i.e., at that instant perfect, in the sense of not committing any sins, known or unknown), even though a moment earlier the person wasn't even a believer. That the process to get to the point of believing takes a while is irrelevant. The "instant sanctification" has to do with the time from believing to not sinning, which is, in your view, an instant, and hence "instant sanctification."

Tom, sanctification is not a gradual process of discovering and outgrowing unknown sins. Instead, sanctification is the lifelong process of maturing in the fruits of the Spirit. It has nothing to do with sinning and repenting or discovering and outgrowing unknown sins. “Sanctification is the result of lifelong obedience. {AA 560.3} “At every stage of development our life may be perfect; yet if God's purpose for us is fulfilled, there will be continual advancement. Sanctification is the work of a lifetime. As our opportunities multiply, our experience will enlarge, and our knowledge increase. We shall become strong to bear responsibility, and our maturity will be in proportion to our privileges. {COL 65.2}

“Sanctification is the work, not of a day or of a year, but of a lifetime. The struggle for conquest over self, for holiness and heaven, is a lifelong struggle. . . . Paul's sanctification was the result of a constant conflict with self. He said, "I die daily" (1 Cor. 15:31). . . . It is by unceasing endeavor that we maintain the victory over the temptations of Satan. Christian integrity must be sought with resistless energy, and maintained with a resolute fixedness of purpose. {HP 26.3}

Quote:
“Let us be growing Christians. We are not to stand still. We are to be in advance today of what we were yesterday; every day learning to be more trustful, more fully relying upon Jesus. Thus we are to grow up. You do not at one bound reach perfection; sanctification is the work of a lifetime. {3SM 193.1}

Our sanctification is the work of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. It is the fulfillment of the covenant God has made with those who bind themselves up with Him, to stand with Him, His Son, and His Spirit in holy fellowship. Have you been born again? Have you become a new being in Christ Jesus? Then cooperate with the three great powers of heaven who are working in your behalf (MS 11, 1901). {7BC 908.11}

Evidences of Sanctification.--True sanctification will be evidenced by a conscientious regard for all the commandments of God, by a careful improvement of every talent, by a circumspect conversation, by revealing in every act the meekness of Christ (RH Oct. 5, 1886). {7BC 908.12}

(1 John 2:3, 4.) The True Sign of Sanctification.--Those who dishonor God by transgressing His law may talk sanctification, but it is of that value, and just as acceptable, as was the offering of Cain. Obedience to all the commandments of God is the only true sign of sanctification. Disobedience is the sign of disloyalty and apostasy (MS 41, 1897). {7BC 908.13}

(Rom. 3:24-28.) Holiness Within the Reach of All.--God has chosen men from eternity to be holy. "This is the will of God, even your sanctification." God's law tolerates no sin, but demands perfect obedience. The echo of God's voice comes to us, ever saying. Holier, holier still. And ever our answer is to be, Yes, Lord, holier still. Holiness is within the reach of all who reach for it by faith, not because of their good works, but because of Christ's merits. Divine power is provided for every soul struggling for the victory over sin and Satan. {7BC 908.14}

Justification means the saving of a soul from perdition, that he may obtain sanctification, and through sanctification, the life of heaven. Justification means that the conscience, purged from dead works, is placed where it can receive the blessings of sanctification (MS 113, 1902). {7BC 908.15}

Sanctification and Communion.--Sanctification means habitual communion with God (RH March 15, 1906). {7BC 908.16}

As you can see, people are born again fully justified and fully sanctified, and then begins the lifelong process of maturing in the fruits of the Spirit. Listen:

The life of the vine will be manifest in fragrant fruit on the branches. "He that abideth in Me," said Jesus, "and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without Me ye can do nothing." When we live by faith on the Son of God, the fruits of the Spirit will be seen in our lives; not one will be missing. {DA 676.4}

We need to understand that imperfection of character is sin. All righteous attributes of character dwell in God as a perfect, harmonious whole, and every one who receives Christ as a personal Saviour is privileged to possess these attributes. {COL 330.2}

Quote:
M: Do you think in some cases people 1) learn how to crucify their old man habits of sin, and 2) learn how to live in harmony with everything Jesus commanded within a few months? And, do you think the two quotes below describe them? Please elaborate.

T: I think it's more like a couple of years. If you look at the 1888 message, when this (i.e. Christ's Second Coming, and the events leading up to it) almost happened, you can get an idea as to a possible time line.

A couple of years? Why do you think it takes so long to live in harmony with the truth? What do you think hinders them?

Page 51 of 55 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!