HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,139 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 34 of 36 1 2 32 33 34 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #111025
04/01/09 12:48 AM
04/01/09 12:48 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Post #109651 speaks of Abraham.

Btw, "unquestioned obedience" is not the same thing as what we're talking about. "Unquestioned obedience" has to do with not having a rebellious spirit. We're talking about having an intelligent appreciation of God's character and understanding the principles of His government.

Regarding Abraham, you said of yourself, when I asked how you would know if a voice you heard was from God, that you would consider whether what you were told agreed with what you know of God's law and character, which was an excellent response. Now, wouldn't Abraham have done the same thing? Doesn't taking into account God's law and character characterize an obedience which involves knowledge and reason?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #111101
04/01/09 08:09 PM
04/01/09 08:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I disagree that "unquestioned obedience" in the quotes I posted above imply not having a rebellious spirit. The context makes it clear to me that it means obeying God without questioning why. For example, if God told me to sell everything and give it to the poor, I would obey Him without question. I might be tempted to get in line where the poor benefit from my donation, but hopefully I would obey Him without first demanding an explanation.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #111122
04/02/09 01:35 AM
04/02/09 01:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Questions, in the right spirit, are a good thing!

Quote:
The Lord does not want us to have a blind credulity, and call that the faith that sanctifies. (2SM 56)

Quote:
Those who desire to doubt will have plenty of room. God does not propose to remove all occasion for unbelief. He gives evidence, which must be carefully investigated with a humble mind and teachable spirit. All should decide from the weight of evidence." Review and Herald, Sept. 16, 1873

Quote:
Test everything. Hold on to the good.(1 Thessalonians 5:21.)

Quote:
He [Christ] maintained his disguise till he had interpreted the Scriptures, and had led them to an intelligent faith in his life, his character, his mission to earth, and his death and resurrection. He wished the truth to take firm root in their minds, not because it was supported by his personal testimony, but because the typical law, and the prophets of the Old Testament, agreeing with the facts of his life and death, presented unquestionable evidence of that truth." Spirit of Prophecy, vol. 3, p. 214

Quote:
The last great delusion is soon to open before us. Antichrist is to perform his marvelous works in our sight. So closely will the counterfeit resemble the true that it will be impossible to distinguish between them except by the Holy Scriptures. By their testimony every statement and every miracle must be tested.(GC 593)

Quote:
Impressions alone are not a safe guide to duty. The enemy often persuades men to believe that it is God who is guiding them, when in reality they are following only human impulse. (Acts of the Apostles 279)

Quote:
Let God’s people act so that the world will see that Seventh-day Adventists are an intelligent, thinking people, whose faith is based on a surer foundation than the bedlam of confusion. The people are hungry for the bread of life. Do not offer them a stone." (Manuscript 101, 1901)

Quote:
The Lord positively demands of every Christian an intelligent knowledge of the Scriptures." Review and Herald, March 8, 1887

Here are a number of statements which explain that God does not want a blind credulity, but intelligent, reasoning followers who have an understanding of the truth.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #111123
04/02/09 01:41 AM
04/02/09 01:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The previous post I quoted a number of statements, but I'd like to take a different tack here. What do you think God is like, that He would want people to do what He says without understanding why? What do you think that says about Him?

My concept of God is that He wants us to follow His commands out of an intelligent appreciation of His character and the principles by which He runs His government. He wants us to question, with the right spirit, why He does things. This is demonstrated by Jesus' comment:

Quote:
No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you.(John 15:15)

God runs His government on the basis of love. Love, in order to be rendered, but be done so on the basis of character appreciation, not blind submission to authority. The authority by which God runs His kingdom is moral authority, which is based not on position but on character.

Boy, I liked that last sentence. I'll repeat it, and emphasize it.

The authority by which God runs His kingdom is moral authority, which is based not on position but on character.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #111385
04/08/09 02:24 PM
04/08/09 02:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, there are times when God wants us to understand the reasons why He commands us to do something. The question is - Does He want us to withhold obedience until He explains the reasons why? I don't think so. What do you think?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #111430
04/08/09 10:02 PM
04/08/09 10:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Yes, there are times when God wants us to understand the reasons why He commands us to do something. The question is - Does He want us to withhold obedience until He explains the reasons why? I don't think so. What do you think?

When I asked you how you would know if it were God who was saying you should do something, you answered by knowing His character and His law, which I accepted as an excellent response, and agreeing with the point I was making, at which point I thought we were through.

To answer your question here, I would answer on the basis of what you said earlier, which is that He doesn't want us to withhold obedience, but to obey on the basis of intelligent appreciation of His character and understanding of His law.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #111491
04/10/09 01:14 AM
04/10/09 01:14 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you see a difference between obeying on the "basis of intelligent appreciation of His character and understanding of His law" versus obeying "even though we do not understand the reasons why"?

For example:

1. God is holy, just, and good.
2. His law is holy, just, and good.

Therefore, I can obey the command to sacrifice my son without understanding the reasons why.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #111505
04/10/09 02:43 AM
04/10/09 02:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
So you're saying if you heard a voice commanding you to kill your son, you would do so, reasoning:

1. God is holy, just, and good.
2. His law is holy, just, and good.

Therefore, I can obey the command to sacrifice my son without understanding the reasons why.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #111537
04/10/09 05:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, of course. Wouldn't you? As in the case of Abraham, however, I would anticipate God calling it off at the last second.

PS - I have no doubt God will never command me to sacrifice my son. Do you feel the same way?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #111538
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you see a difference between obeying on the "basis of intelligent appreciation of His character and understanding of His law" versus obeying "even though we do not understand the reasons why"?

Page 34 of 36 1 2 32 33 34 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!