HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: teresaq] #110756
03/29/09 07:33 PM
03/29/09 07:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Claudia, great questions, great comments, and great quotes. Thank you for starting this thread. I think this is where the "rubber meets the road" in the Bible and in our heart, mind, and soul. I realize the great controversy includes the entire Universe and that the vindication of God's character and kingdom is key - but I am very endeared to God because of what He does for me personally here and now.

When I am tempted to be unlike Jesus, I just love it when I trust in God and He in turn empowers me to recognize and resist the temptation; but more than this, I love it when He empowers me to use my faculties of mind and body to mature in the fruits of the Spirit, to become more and more kind and loving and patient like my sweet Jesus. Equally rewarding is when my wife, my Most Lovely, notices it when I'm being like Jesus and she lifts her precious voice and praises God. Being like Jesus means everything to me. Thank you Jesus!!!

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Claudia Thompson] #110763
03/29/09 08:03 PM
03/29/09 08:03 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Claudia Thompson
then look at this too... I just found... see the unselfishness idea? that seems to be the key...

Sin has extinguished the love that God placed in man's heart. The work of the church is to rekindle this love. The church is to cooperate with God by uprooting selfishness from the human heart, placing in its stead the benevolence that was in man's heart in his original state of perfection. --Letter 134, 1902.

Perhaps that is as good a definition of perfection of character as you will find.

Here are a couple of quotes from Steps to Christ to consider:

Quote:
But through disobedience, his powers were perverted, and selfishness took the place of love. {SC 17.1}

When Christ dwells in the heart, the soul will be so filled with His love, with the joy of communion with Him, that it will cleave to Him; and in the contemplation of Him, self will be forgotten. {SC 44.2}

The first one tells us what happened when man sinned. The second one tells us what happens when man is born again. The first tells us how we lost perfection; the second how we regain it.

The problem is that selfishness took the place of love; the solution is simply the reverse.

Last edited by asygo; 03/29/09 08:04 PM.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: asygo] #110767
03/29/09 11:25 PM
03/29/09 11:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The following talks about the real cause of man's difficulties.

Quote:
In heaven itself this law was broken. Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world.

The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2.

And the solution! The problem came about in believing the enemy's lies about God. The solution is to believe the truth, which is the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #110770
03/29/09 11:52 PM
03/29/09 11:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Everything depends on us reaching the sinless condition in which Adam lived before the Fall. The honor of God, the honor of Christ, is involved in the perfection of the character of His people. Listen:

Of the Spirit Jesus said, "He shall glorify Me." The Saviour came to glorify the Father by the demonstration of His love; so the Spirit was to glorify Christ by revealing His grace to the world. The very image of God is to be reproduced in humanity. The honor of God, the honor of Christ, is involved in the perfection of the character of His people. {DA 671.3}

"Let us not love in word," the apostle writes, "but in deed and in truth." The completeness of Christian character is attained when the impulse to help and bless others springs constantly from within. It is the atmosphere of this love surrounding the soul of the believer that makes him a savor of life unto life and enables God to bless his work. {AA 551.1}

The completeness of Christian character is attained when the impulse to help and bless others springs constantly from within, when the sunshine of heaven fills the heart and is expressed in the countenance.--Manuscript 108, 1899. {CME 47.2}

Those only who through faith in Christ obey all of God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. They testify to their love of Christ by obeying all His precepts (MS 122, 1901). {6BC 1118.10}

Those who believe on Christ and obey His commandments are not under bondage to God's law; for to those who believe and obey, His law is not a law of bondage, but of liberty. Everyone who believes on Christ, everyone who relies on the keeping power of a risen Saviour that has suffered the penalty pronounced upon the transgressor, everyone who resists temptation and in the midst of evil copies the pattern given in the Christ life, will through faith in the atoning sacrifice of Christ become a partaker of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. Everyone who by faith obeys God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. {HP 146.5}

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Mountain Man] #110798
03/30/09 02:44 AM
03/30/09 02:44 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
As Satan accuses the people of God on account of their sins, the Lord permits him to try them to the uttermost. Their confidence in God, their faith and firmness, will be severely tested. As they review the past, their hopes sink; for in their whole lives they can see little good. They are fully conscious of their weakness and unworthiness. Satan endeavors to terrify them with the thought that their cases are hopeless, that the stain of their defilement will never be washed away. He hopes so to destroy their faith that they will yield to his temptations and turn from their allegiance to God. {GC 618.3}

according to this the righteous do not judge themselves as righteous.
Php 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #110799
03/30/09 02:51 AM
03/30/09 02:51 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom

Quote:
In heaven itself this law was broken. Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God, attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world.

The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2.

And the solution! The problem came about in believing the enemy's lies about God. The solution is to believe the truth, which is the revelation of Jesus Christ.

we may be saying the same thing but let me make sure. it isnt enough to know the character of God, we also have to submit and be made over into His image, right?

many can know God is good and resist every softening of the heart, right?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #110804
03/30/09 04:23 AM
03/30/09 04:23 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA

This may be where our theologies differ the most. You believe the main problem is that sinful man has wrong beliefs about God, and the solution is to fix his wrong ideas. I believe the main problem is that sinful man is selfish, and the solution is to be made loving.

Right there in your quote is this gem: "Sin originated in self-seeking." Selfishness is the problem. While sinful man's ideas may be false, the biggest problem is that he is depraved.

As it relates to this thread, perfection of character is not primarily about having correct ideas about God, but having a character that is like God's. And the simplest summary of God's character is what we teach our children: God is love. If one manifests that kind of love, he has achieved perfection of character. That's my $0.02 anyway.

BTW, do you remember the SOP quote I posted that tells us that the seat of our difficulty is the unrenewed heart? The difficulty is not bad ideas, but a bad heart.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: asygo] #110806
03/30/09 04:55 AM
03/30/09 04:55 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo

This may be where our theologies differ the most. You believe the main problem is that sinful man has wrong beliefs about God, and the solution is to fix his wrong ideas. I believe the main problem is that sinful man is selfish, and the solution is to be made loving.

Right there in your quote is this gem: "Sin originated in self-seeking." Selfishness is the problem. While sinful man's ideas may be false, the biggest problem is that he is depraved.

As it relates to this thread, perfection of character is not primarily about having correct ideas about God, but having a character that is like God's. And the simplest summary of God's character is what we teach our children: God is love. If one manifests that kind of love, he has achieved perfection of character. That's my $0.02 anyway.

BTW, do you remember the SOP quote I posted that tells us that the seat of our difficulty is the unrenewed heart? The difficulty is not bad ideas, but a bad heart.

i have to disagree some, arnold. i came from a place where love meant hurt. so saying God is love from people who then hurt you in one form or another meant that that was the way God was. i think many, many people have a warped view of God and are living up to it with all their heart. i couldnt because it was wrong to me. so i had to reject Him or at least that part of Him. that made life confusing to say the least. to be a christian i had to hurt people but that just seemed so wrong.

when i decided to be "on His side" i told Him His job was to keep me from doing to others what had been done to me but that i would run my own life, thank you very much. and thats the way it was for a long time. it was little chips here and there before i came to see Him in a different light. and im still not completely there yet. i still cannot use the word "love" and it have any real meaning. "caring" has meaning for me.

for many of us our view of God determines how we view selfishness, love or a myriad of whatever. so, for me, i would say you are both right.

yes we are depraved, selfish but:

first we have to have a correct view of God, a correct view of selfishness, a correct view of all else involved.

then we either surrender, take on the new way of thinking or resist.

my 2 cents which may need further info or refining.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: teresaq] #110810
03/30/09 08:40 AM
03/30/09 08:40 AM
C
Claudia Thompson  Offline OP
England
Im going to come back and read all this later, but heres something to think about...

Rv:14:5: And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.

What exactly is GUILE?

Isnt it malicious intent?

here is just one thing I found:

God pledged Himself to introduce into the hearts of human beings a new principle--a hatred of sin, of deception, of pretense, of everything that bears the marks of Satan's guile.--Manuscript 72, 1904.

Last edited by Claudia Thompson; 03/30/09 08:53 AM.

Jn:15:15: Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Claudia Thompson] #110811
03/30/09 11:01 AM
03/30/09 11:01 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Guile "dolos" means crafty or deceitful

Guile in Rev 14 is used in reference to the 144,000 which they will obtain a perfect character. Here's one verse in reference to Christ.
Originally Posted By: 1Pe 2
21. For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
22. Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
23. Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed [himself] to him that judgeth righteously:
24. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

In the OT the word guile is not found, but we have lots of hit for deceit or deceitful.

In Jer say that being deceitful is man's #1 heart condition problem.
Quote:
Jer 17:9 The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it?
Jer 8:5 Why [then] is this people of Jerusalem slidden back by a perpetual backsliding? they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return.
Jer 9:6 Thine habitation [is] in the midst of deceit; through deceit they refuse to know me, saith the LORD.

Here's an interesting one concerning a true or false witness :
Quote:
Pro 14:25 A true witness delivereth souls: but a deceitful [witness] speaketh lies.

Blessings
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!