HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #110469
03/26/09 02:02 AM
03/26/09 02:02 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Yes, that is what I wrote. Nicely done. However, I didn't say "invalid" or "no understanding".

You implied these things. You said, "I don't understand why it is valid" and then gave an explanation as to why it is not valid. Your explanation was valid! You're right; it is not valid. The reason you're not understanding it is because you're trying to understand something which is not valid.

That's easy for you to say, Tom. But it wasn't what I said or meant.

Quote:
Do you think the infliction of death is the organic result of sin? If not, how do you explain God commanding capital punishment?

If you plant an acorn, it will grow into an oak tree. The oak is to the acorn what death is to sin. I don't understand your question regarding capital punishment. It seems to have nothing to do with the subject. I'm speaking of the second death; that the death which is the inevitable result of sin, as I've been repeatedly pointing out.[/quote]
God commanded capital punishment. My question concerns this fact. Do you see an organic connection (like your acorn illustration) between sin and being stoned to death?

Quote:
T: In your view, God, to make people pay for their sins, causes them to suffer and die. That's their punishment.

M: No, that's not my view. I believe the wicked will be punished according to their sinfulness. They will experience emotional and physical agony as a result of punishment.

I don't see the difference. What's the difference? Do you disagree that God causes the wicked to suffer? Or do die? Is this suffering and death not punishment? It sounds like you're wanting to say that this is not their punishment, but is caused by their punishment. Is that the distinction you're wanting to make? If so, what's their punishment? If this is what you're trying to say, this seems to be simply semantics. In your view, God, not sin, is responsible for what happens to them. Hasn't this been your point all along, that it is God, not sin, which causes the death of the wicked?
[/quote]
Yes, I believe God inflicts punishment and sinners suffer and die as a result. God has employed many different forms of punishment. Such punishment is required by the law of God. "By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors." This is one of the reasons why Jesus had to die, that is, because law and justice demand death for sin. This requirement cannot be dismissed simply because Jesus' sacrificial love motivates sinners to love and obey God. Pardon does not annul the death sentence. Death must happen in consequence of sin.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #110472
03/26/09 02:22 AM
03/26/09 02:22 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: Was Jesus' death like the death of the wicked? Or unlike it? If it was unlike it, how could the wicked be paying the same price Jesus paid?

M: Both. But there are way more dissimilarities. The wicked will pay the price for their own sins. Jesus paid the price for all sins. There are physical dissimilarities too. Jesus was beaten and abused and nailed to a cross. The wicked, on the other hand, will not be.

T: This just makes my point. It's rather ironic. You don't think I believe that Christ paid the price for our sins, but I believe that Christ experienced what the wicked will experience, suffering and death having nothing to do with literal fire, but with a sense of God's wrath, of being separated from God. On the other hand, you think Christ's death is way different than the death of the wicked, so He couldn't have paid the price they pay, nor could He have suffered their death.

M: 1. I do believe you think Jesus paid a price for our sins.

2. I do believe the wicked will pay the price for their sins.

I'm curious, Tom, do you think Jesus experienced suffering like a sinner or like our Savior?

T: Both

M: Was He so in love with Himself and sinning that heaven and the very presence of the Father would have been torture, that He would have desired death? Was He so angry and bitter that He wanted to shred to pieces those He blamed for leading Him astray? Was He deluded and deceived into thinking He could overpower the inhabitants of New Jerusalem and gain access to the tree of life and live forever? Was the earth engulfed in fire and flames while such thoughts and feelings were flooding His soul?

I think it is probably safe to assume you agree with me that Jesus' experience was considerably different than what it will be like for the wicked at the end of time. He longed for the Father's love and comfort; whereas the wicked will want to hide from Him. Jesus felt compassion for those around Him; whereas the wicked will seek to kill them. Jesus was beaten and nailed to a cross; whereas the wicked will be unbound and unbeaten. Jesus conquered the second death; whereas the wicked will die the second death.

T: He bore our sin. He was "made to be sin." Just as we experience His righteousness, even though we have no intrinsic righteousness of our own, so He experienced our sin, although He sinned not in thought word or deed. As real as our experience of righteousness is, so real was His experience of sin. The sin was ours, not His, yet He experienced it as if it were His own, just as our righteousness is His, not ours, yet we experience it as if it were ours.

You didn't answer my questions. Nor did you address my observations. Please do.

Quote:
M: What is ironic about what I think and believe?

T: You think the wicked will pay a price for sin as something artificially imposed, that Christ likely payed a price for sin as something also artificially imposed, and that the latter undoes the former (for those who comply with the conditions) yet the latter is completely different than the former.

There is nothing artificial about capital punishment.

Quote:
M: The expression, "Bring it on", comes to mind. By their actions sinners say, Bring it on, that is, punish me for my sins. "All they that hate me love death."

T: No, this isn't the idea at all. Here's the idea:

M: Correct...

T: Please don't do this. I can't make any sense of this. I write, "Here's the idea:" which you cut off, and then right "Correct." What's correct? We don't know, because there's nothing after "Here's the idea." At least summarize what was said.

Is that how I left it? The word "correct" followed by an ellipse?

Quote:
M: If so, does this mean the infliction of pain and punishment is part of it?

T: Not if you mean God's doing something to inflict pain. Yes if you mean like how poison inflicts pain on its victims.

M: Have you forgotten the fact the Jews and the Romans inflicted pain and punishment? So, if you insist Jesus' experience is indicative of what the wicked will go through at the end of time, then you have to agree with me that it will involve the infliction of pain and punishment.

T: What do the Jews and Romans have to do with "Not if you mean God's doing something to inflict pain."?

Jesus' death involved the infliction of pain by the Jews and the Romans. And, according to you, His experience is indicative of what the wicked will go through at the end of time. Therefore, you must necessarily believe the punishment of the wicked will involve the infliction of physical pain. We haven't gotten into who will inflict their physical pain. I believe it will be God. I don't know what you believe.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #110519
03/26/09 04:56 PM
03/26/09 04:56 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
You didn't answer my questions. Nor did you address my observations. Please do.

I see a lot of writing! It sure looks like addressing comments and answering questions. You'll have to specify something specific.

Quote:
There is nothing artificial about capital punishment.

I said "artificially imposed." "Arbitrarily imposed" would be more accurate ("arbitrary" as in "according to individual discretion," not "capricious"), but I avoided "arbitrary," because you seem to misunderstand that word. The point is that it's not a direct or natural consequence of sin, but an artificially (or arbitrarily) imposed one.

Reading "Correct," you specify what was correct.

Quote:

T: Not if you mean God's doing something to inflict pain. Yes if you mean like how poison inflicts pain on its victims.

M: Have you forgotten the fact the Jews and the Romans inflicted pain and punishment? So, if you insist Jesus' experience is indicative of what the wicked will go through at the end of time, then you have to agree with me that it will involve the infliction of pain and punishment.

T: What do the Jews and Romans have to do with "Not if you mean God's doing something to inflict pain."?

M:Jesus' death involved the infliction of pain by the Jews and the Romans. And, according to you, His experience is indicative of what the wicked will go through at the end of time. Therefore, you must necessarily believe the punishment of the wicked will involve the infliction of physical pain. We haven't gotten into who will inflict their physical pain. I believe it will be God. I don't know what you believe.

I'm talking about the second death.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #110555
03/26/09 10:26 PM
03/26/09 10:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: You didn't answer my questions. Nor did you address my observations. Please do.

T: I see a lot of writing! It sure looks like addressing comments and answering questions. You'll have to specify something specific.

We are comparing Jesus’ past experience and the future experience of the wicked.

1. Was He so in love with Himself and sinning that heaven and the very presence of the Father would have been torture, that He would have desired death?
2. Was He so angry and bitter that He wanted to shred to pieces those He blamed for leading Him astray?
3. Was He deluded and deceived into thinking He could overpower the inhabitants of New Jerusalem and gain access to the tree of life and live forever?
4. Was the earth engulfed in fire and flames while such thoughts and feelings were flooding His soul?
5. He longed for the Father's love and comfort; whereas the wicked will want to hide from Him.
6. Jesus felt compassion for those around Him; whereas the wicked will seek to kill them.
7. Jesus was beaten and nailed to a cross; whereas the wicked will be unbound and unbeaten.
8. Jesus conquered the second death; whereas the wicked will die the second death.

Quote:
M: There is nothing artificial about capital punishment.

T: I said "artificially imposed." "Arbitrarily imposed" would be more accurate ("arbitrary" as in "according to individual discretion," not "capricious"), but I avoided "arbitrary," because you seem to misunderstand that word. The point is that it's not a direct or natural consequence of sin, but an artificially (or arbitrarily) imposed one.

Again, there is nothing artificial or arbitrary about capital punishment. True, it isn’t organically connected; but who said it has to be? It was God who established it thus. He commanded Moses to stone sinners to death.

Quote:
T: Reading "Correct," you specify what was correct.

Please reconstruct this part of the post. The reason I'm asking is because you came down pretty hard on me for reasons not apparent to me.

Quote:

M: Jesus' death involved the infliction of pain by the Jews and the Romans. And, according to you, His experience is indicative of what the wicked will go through at the end of time. Therefore, you must necessarily believe the punishment of the wicked will involve the infliction of physical pain. We haven't gotten into who will inflict their physical pain. I believe it will be God. I don't know what you believe.

T: I'm talking about the second death.

Me too. Jesus experienced the second death. You believe His experience is what the wicked will go through at the end of time. Therefore, you must necessarily believe the punishment of the wicked will involve the infliction of physical pain. Actually, you can divorce this aspect of Jesus’ experience from what you think will happen to the wicked at the end of time. Is that what you’d like to do?

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #110633
03/28/09 01:44 AM
03/28/09 01:44 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

Quote:

1. Was He so in love with Himself and sinning that heaven and the very presence of the Father would have been torture, that He would have desired death?

This is a rhetorical question. Since you say Jesus experienced the second death, and given Jesus didn't experience this, then this needn't form a part of the second death.

Quote:
2. Was He so angry and bitter that He wanted to shred to pieces those He blamed for leading Him astray?

Same answer.

Quote:

3. Was He deluded and deceived into thinking He could overpower the inhabitants of New Jerusalem and gain access to the tree of life and live forever?

I don't see why you even think this has something to do with the second death for the wicked, but same answer.

Quote:

4. Was the earth engulfed in fire and flames while such thoughts and feelings were flooding His soul?

Same answer as 3.

Quote:

5. He longed for the Father's love and comfort; whereas the wicked will want to hide from Him.

Here the answer is the reverse. Given that the wicked experience the second death, clearly this isn't a necessary part of the experience. Although I think the wicked really do long for the Father's love and comfort in a way.

Quote:

6. Jesus felt compassion for those around Him; whereas the wicked will seek to kill them.

Same answer.

Quote:

7. Jesus was beaten and nailed to a cross; whereas the wicked will be unbound and unbeaten.

This has nothing to do with the second death.

Quote:
8. Jesus conquered the second death; whereas the wicked will die the second death.

Ok. I'm not sure why you're making this point.

IMO you're going at this backwards. We know both the wicked and Jesus experience the second death. Instead of looking for things which are different, you should be looking for things that are the same. It is the things that are the *same* that define what the second death entails.

Quote:
M: Jesus' death involved the infliction of pain by the Jews and the Romans. And, according to you, His experience is indicative of what the wicked will go through at the end of time. Therefore, you must necessarily believe the punishment of the wicked will involve the infliction of physical pain. We haven't gotten into who will inflict their physical pain. I believe it will be God. I don't know what you believe.

Me too. Jesus experienced the second death. You believe His experience is what the wicked will go through at the end of time. Therefore, you must necessarily believe the punishment of the wicked will involve the infliction of physical pain. Actually, you can divorce this aspect of Jesus’ experience from what you think will happen to the wicked at the end of time. Is that what you’d like to do?

I don't know what you're asking here. You say Jesus experienced the second death (which I agree with). Clearly the wicked will experience it. So what's in common with their experience? That's what we need to look at. This should be clear.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #110660
03/28/09 09:00 PM
03/28/09 09:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

T: This is a rhetorical question. Since you say Jesus experienced the second death, and given Jesus didn't experience this, then this needn't form a part of the second death.

It’s based on your assumption that Jesus suffered and died like the wicked will at the end of time. Now you seem to be backing off. Where do you draw the line in comparing the two? As you know, the question above is based on the description of the experience of the wicked.

Quote:

T: Same answer.

Same response.

Quote:

T: I don't see why you even think this has something to do with the second death for the wicked, but same answer.

Again, it is how Ellen describes the experience of the wicked at the end of time.

Quote:

T: Same answer as 3.

Same response as 1.

Quote:

T: Here the answer is the reverse. Given that the wicked experience the second death, clearly this isn't a necessary part of the experience. Although I think the wicked really do long for the Father's love and comfort in a way.

Where does it say in the Bible or the SOP that the wicked will long for God’s love and comfort like Jesus did on the cross?

Quote:

T: Same answer.

Same response as 1.

Quote:

T: This has nothing to do with the second death.

What do you mean? It’s exactly how it Ellen describes it.

Quote:

T: Ok. I'm not sure why you're making this point.

I am showing how Jesus’ experience and the experience of the wicked are more unlike than they are alike. You seem to think Jesus demonstrated the experience of the second death, and that this proves literal fire will not be used to punish the wicked.

Quote:
T: IMO you're going at this backwards. We know both the wicked and Jesus experience the second death. Instead of looking for things which are different, you should be looking for things that are the same. It is the things that are the *same* that define what the second death entails.

There are way more dissimilarities than there are similarities. To ignore all the ways in which the two experiences are different leaves very little left to study and arrive at concrete conclusions. What you’re asking is hard to swallow.

Quote:

M: Me too. Jesus experienced the second death. You believe His experience is what the wicked will go through at the end of time. Therefore, you must necessarily believe the punishment of the wicked will involve the infliction of physical pain. Actually, you can divorce this aspect of Jesus’ experience from what you think will happen to the wicked at the end of time. Is that what you’d like to do?

T: I don't know what you're asking here. You say Jesus experienced the second death (which I agree with). Clearly the wicked will experience it. So what's in common with their experience? That's what we need to look at. This should be clear.

See my response above this one.

PS - BTW, what do you think is the *same* when comparing the two different experiences?

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #110661
03/28/09 09:01 PM
03/28/09 09:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: There is nothing artificial about capital punishment.

T: I said "artificially imposed." "Arbitrarily imposed" would be more accurate ("arbitrary" as in "according to individual discretion," not "capricious"), but I avoided "arbitrary," because you seem to misunderstand that word. The point is that it's not a direct or natural consequence of sin, but an artificially (or arbitrarily) imposed one.

Again, there is nothing artificial or arbitrary about capital punishment. True, it isn’t organically connected; but who said it has to be? It was God who established it thus. He commanded Moses to stone sinners to death.

Quote:
T: Reading "Correct," you specify what was correct.

Please reconstruct this part of the post. The reason I'm asking is because you came down pretty hard on me for reasons not apparent to me.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #110664
03/28/09 09:19 PM
03/28/09 09:19 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
The following inspired this topic:

Quote:
None of the people you named above (Note: these were Paul, John, and Jesus Christ) clearly explain why Jesus had to die. They simply say He suffered and died with our sins on the cross. The SOP is the only place where God has clearly explained why Jesus had to die.

I would like to read the thread where this quote came from. Which topic did this quote come from?

Blessings
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Elle] #110684
03/29/09 04:07 AM
03/29/09 04:07 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think it's from the one about Moses and Jesus' death. I first started trying to respond to MM's questions regarding Moses by referring to Paul's arguments, but then MM said Paul also didn't clearly teach about Christ's death, so I asked him about John and Jesus as well, and MM wrote the above. This might not be exactly right, but it's close.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #110726
03/29/09 03:53 PM
03/29/09 03:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please address 110660 and 110661. Thank you.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!