HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 66 of 100 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110754
03/29/09 07:17 PM
03/29/09 07:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
The sin is not in the temptation, but in not rejecting it.

Tom, you and I seem to be alone on this point. Everyone else here seems to think the fact you can be tempted is evidence you are sinning. Which I don't understand. I hope I am misunderstanding what is being said here.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110764
03/29/09 09:00 PM
03/29/09 09:00 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: What I don't understand is what this discussion about sinful thoughts has to do with original sin. You believe that sinful thoughts and desires aren't sin just to be coherent with your view that Christ was born with sinful tendencies and that He had sinful thoughts and desires generated by these tendencies.
T: Pardon? I never said sinful thoughts and desires aren't sin.

Yes, conveniently and arbitrarily, you don't consider sinful the thoughts/desires which come from hereditary inclinations, because, according to you, they are involuntary. Well, the thoughts and desires which come from cultivated inclinations are also involuntary, but they are, nonetheless, sinful. If you say that spontaneous desires are not sinful, then homosexual desires are not sinful, the desire to smoke is not sinful, the desire to use drugs is not sinful, etc. But, if these desires are not sinful, how can it be sinful to satisfy them?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #110765
03/29/09 09:32 PM
03/29/09 09:32 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Quote:
The sin is not in the temptation, but in not rejecting it.

Tom, you and I seem to be alone on this point. Everyone else here seems to think the fact you can be tempted is evidence you are sinning. Which I don't understand. I hope I am misunderstanding what is being said here.

Some temptations are based on desires which are not sinful in themselves, but others are based on desires which are sinful in themselves.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #110769
03/29/09 11:42 PM
03/29/09 11:42 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Yes, conveniently and arbitrarily, you don't consider sinful the thoughts/desires which come from hereditary inclinations, because, according to you, they are involuntary.

I wouldn't say it's convenient, but simply due to the fact that I, in addition to all our SDA forefathers, don't believe in original sin (except supposedly Ellen White, who held her beliefs in secret, while conveying the impression that she agreed with her colleagues).

Quote:
Well, the thoughts and desires which come from cultivated inclinations are also involuntary, but they are, nonetheless, sinful.

If you believe in original sin.

Quote:
If you say that spontaneous desires are not sinful, then homosexual desires are not sinful, the desire to smoke is not sinful, the desire to use drugs is not sinful, etc.

You're saying that homosexuality is a genetic problem? That it doesn't involve the will?

Quote:
But, if these desires are not sinful, how can it be sinful to satisfy them?

That's rather circular, isn't it? This is the whole question of original sin. If one believes in original sin, then, yes, having a tendency to sin is itself a sin, and Christ could not have taken our sinful nature. But if one doesn't believe in original sin, then one can take our nature, be tempted by that nature, and not sin. How? By faith saying "no" to the temptation, which is not a sin.

Sin involves the will.

Your idea on how we get unsunk is to have these genetically inherited tendencies removed from us. This was the HF theory. But what if the assumption is wrong? What if these hereditary inclinations (genetic ones) do go away? What if they're like other genetic inclinations, like having perfect pitch, or blue eyes, simply a part of our genetic makeup? What if Haskell was right, and Ellen White was speaking of Christ's taking fallen humanity, with its hereditary inclinations?

Another possibility is to overcome the temptations by faith, as Christ did. He came with such a nature as we have (the nature of Adam the transgressor), with such a heredity as we have, like every child of Adam, to share in our temptations. If He took our nature, and accepted the law of heredity, in order to share in our temptations, it must be the case that He was tempted in the way that our nature and heredity tempts us.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110776
03/30/09 12:29 AM
03/30/09 12:29 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Yes, conveniently and arbitrarily, you don't consider sinful the thoughts/desires which come from hereditary inclinations, because, according to you, they are involuntary. Well, the thoughts and desires which come from cultivated inclinations are also involuntary, but they are, nonetheless, sinful. If you say that spontaneous desires are not sinful, then homosexual desires are not sinful, the desire to smoke is not sinful, the desire to use drugs is not sinful, etc. But, if these desires are not sinful, how can it be sinful to satisfy them?

Yes, all unholy desires are sinful. It matters not if they originate with hereditary or cultivated tendencies (inclinations, propensities). Initially, though, all such desires are only temptations. They do not constitute sinning. There is a huge difference between something sinful and someone sinning.

"But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin." Enticement is not sinning. It is temptation. "Temptation is enticement to sin, and this does not proceed from God, but from Satan and from the evil of our own hearts. {MB 116.2} Even Jesus was enticed to sin. "Though enticed to evil, He refused to depart in a single instance from the strictest truth and rectitude. {LHU 77.6}

"If the youth possessed moral integrity, the strongest temptations might be presented in vain. It is Satan's act to tempt you, but your own act to yield. It is not in the power of all the host of Satan to force the tempted to transgress. There is no excuse for sin. {MYP 430.1}

"Every inducement that Satan can invent is pressed upon them to make them indifferent and careless in regard to eternal things. I suggest that special efforts be made by the youth to help one another to live faithful to their baptismal vows and that they pledge themselves solemnly before God to withdraw their affections from dress and display. {3T 379.1} However, the following triumph to tragedy tale is all too familiar:

Quote:
A youth is sent from a distant state to share the benefits of the college at Battle Creek. He goes forth from his home with the blessing of his parents upon his head. He has listened daily to the earnest prayers offered at the family altar, and he is apparently well started in a life of noble resolve and purity. His convictions and purposes when he leaves home are right. In Battle Creek he will meet with associates of all classes. He becomes acquainted with some whose example is a blessing to all who come within the sphere of their influence. Again, he meets with those who are apparently kind and interesting, and whose intelligence charms him; but they have a low standard of morality and no religious faith. For a time he resists every inducement to yield to temptation; but as he observes that those who profess to be Christians seem to enjoy the company of this irreligious class, his purposes and high resolves begin to waver. He enjoys the lively sallies and jovial spirit of these youth, and he is almost imperceptibly drawn more and more into their company. His stronghold seems to be giving way; his hitherto brave heart is growing weak. He is invited to accompany them for a walk, and they lead him to a saloon. Oysters or other refreshments are called for, and he is ashamed to draw away and refuse the treat. Having once overstepped the bounds, he goes again and again. A glass of beer is thought to be unobjectionable, and he accepts it; but still, with all, there are sharp twinges of conscience. He does not openly take his stand on the side of God and truth and righteousness; the society of the sly, deceptive class with which he is associated pleases him, and he is led a step further. His tempters urge that it is certainly harmless to play a game of cards and to watch the players in a billiard hall, and he yields repeatedly to the temptation. {4T 435.2}

Young men attend our college who, unsuspected by parents or guardians, hang about saloons, drink beer, and play cards and games in billiard halls. These things the students try to keep a profound secret among themselves; and professors and teachers are kept in ignorance of the satanic work going on. When this young man is enticed to pursue some evil course which must be kept secret, he has a battle with conscience; but inclination triumphs. He meant to be a Christian when he came to Battle Creek, but he is led steadily and surely in the downward road. Evil companions and seducers found among the youth of Sabbathkeeping parents, some of them living in Battle Creek, find that he can be tempted; and they secretly exult in their power and the fact that he is weak and will yield so readily to their seductive influences. They find that he can be shamed and confused by those who have had light and who have hardened their hearts in sin. Just such influences as these will be found wherever youth associate together. {4T 436.1}

The time will come when that young man who left his father's house pure and true, with noble purposes, will be ruined. He has learned to love the evil and reject the good. He did not realize his danger, not being armed with watchfulness and prayer. He did not place himself at once under the guardian care of the church. He was made to believe that it was manly to be independent, not allowing his liberty to be restricted. He was taught that to ignore rules and defy laws was to enjoy true freedom; that it was slavish to be always fearing and trembling lest he do wrong. He yielded to the influence of ungodly persons who, while carrying a fair exterior, were practicing deception, vileness, and iniquity; and he was despised and derided because he was so easily duped. He went where he could not expect to find the pure and the good. He learned ways of life and habits of speech which were not elevating and ennobling. Many are in danger of being thus lead away imperceptibly until they become degraded in their own estimation. In order to gain the applause of the heartless and ungodly, they are in danger of yielding the purity and nobleness of manhood, and of becoming slaves to Satan. {4T 436.2}

Such a downward spiral into sin is completely preventable. We must learn to keep our eyes on Christ and Him crucified. Sin loses all its power and appeal at the cross. Thank you Jesus!

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #110777
03/30/09 12:33 AM
03/30/09 12:33 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Some temptations are based on desires which are not sinful in themselves, but others are based on desires which are sinful in themselves.

Does it matter? All temptations are calculated to lead us into sin. Jesus was "enticed to evil, {but} He refused to depart in a single instance from the strictest truth and rectitude." {LHU 77.6}

"If the youth possessed moral integrity, the strongest temptations might be presented in vain. It is Satan's act to tempt you, but your own act to yield. It is not in the power of all the host of Satan to force the tempted to transgress. There is no excuse for sin. {MYP 430.1}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #110780
03/30/09 12:49 AM
03/30/09 12:49 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
No unholy thought and feeling = no temptation. Or, vice versa: the presence of an unholy thought and feeling = the presence of a temptation. In this way, all temptations begin as an unholy thought and feeling.

This is how I see things. Outward temptations begin with a sinful suggestion. A sinful suggestion can be related to something inherently sinful, or to something which is not inherently sinful. In either case you consider the suggestion and either welcome it (and then a sinful desire is created) or reject it.
In case there is a sinful propensity, the sinful desire is already present. In relation to my example of soap operas, in the past I used to become aware of this inward temptation when I had the desire to watch a soap opera. Today, after having been set free from this sinful propensity, I perceive first a sinful suggestion saying, “Do you remember how you used to feel good when you watched soap operas? Why not watch it?” Then I analyze the suggestion, and then I reject it. When you reject a sinful suggestion, there is yet no desire. There may be an appeal, especially in relation to your past experience, but not a desire.

Quote:
If you're saying believers gradually outgrow known sins through a process of sinning and repenting less and less intensely until they eventually cease repeating that particular sin - then, yes, I do not agree. I believe absolute and unbroken victory over a particular sin is available to us from the moment we confess and crucify it in light of the cross.

Absolute and unbroken victory over every sin means perfect absence of sin in the life. Sin is deceitful. When I was converted, I thought watching soap operas was a sin to be renounced, and I sincerely renounced it. However, as the years passed I began to realize I hadn’t yet overcome this sin completely, and I finally realized it was an idol hidden in my heart.

Quote:
This is the part I’m unclear about what you believe. Are you suggesting we continue to be guilty of sin until our “old habits” totally die, until the temptations associated with them cease to tempt us? If so, how do you explain the fact Ellen repeatedly wrote that we shall have to combat inward corruption until the day Jesus arrives? See quotes below.

That’s why we must be constantly covered by Christ’s imputed righteousness – because of our sinfulness. I’m still not sure about what happens to the 144,000.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #110782
03/30/09 01:01 AM
03/30/09 01:01 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Yes, all unholy desires are sinful. It matters not if they originate with hereditary or cultivated tendencies (inclinations, propensities). Initially, though, all such desires are only temptations. They do not constitute sinning. There is a huge difference between something sinful and someone sinning.

If they do not constitute sinning, there is no reason to confess them.
There is no participation of the person in a sinful suggestion, unless the suggestion is welcomed. But of course there is a participation of the person in a sinful desire.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #110783
03/30/09 01:08 AM
03/30/09 01:08 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I’m still not sure about what happens to the 144,000.

That's a problem, isn't it?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #110784
03/30/09 01:09 AM
03/30/09 01:09 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
R: Yes, conveniently and arbitrarily, you don't consider sinful the thoughts/desires which come from hereditary inclinations, because, according to you, they are involuntary.
T: I wouldn't say it's convenient, but simply due to the fact that I, in addition to all our SDA forefathers, don't believe in original sin (except supposedly Ellen White, who held her beliefs in secret, while conveying the impression that she agreed with her colleagues).

This has nothing to do with original sin. The law judges thoughts, intents and desires. If they are wrong, can the law approve them?

Quote:
R: Well, the thoughts and desires which come from cultivated inclinations are also involuntary, but they are, nonetheless, sinful.
T: If you believe in original sin.

???

Quote:
R: If you say that spontaneous desires are not sinful, then homosexual desires are not sinful, the desire to smoke is not sinful, the desire to use drugs is not sinful, etc.
T: You're saying that homosexuality is a genetic problem? That it doesn't involve the will?

I considered it as a cultivated tendency, like smoking and drugs. But suppose it's genetic. Aren't you saying that an spontaneous desire is not sinful?

Page 66 of 100 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!