HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 80 of 100 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111426
04/08/09 09:10 PM
04/08/09 09:10 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Amazing the opportunity for those following Jesus by faith alone as Enoch did. But what a price to pay: the complete and permanent death of self. Positively amazing.

Can I actually live up to the inspired standard? Wow, what a work to be accomplished, indeed:

Quote:
What constituted the difference between Enoch and Noah, and those who were destroyed by the flood? Enoch and Noah were obedient to the law of God; the others walked in the imagination of their own hearts, and corrupted their ways before the Lord, disregarding all his requirements. By their disobedience they separated themselves from him, and provoked him to destroy them. Enoch and Noah were found righteous when tested by the law of God. Had the antediluvians kept the way of God, had they obeyed his commandments, they too would have been found righteous, and would have received the Lord's commendation. {ST, February 11, 1897 par. 8}

In his letter to the Romans Paul writes of the obedient and the disobedient. "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ," he says; "for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, The just shall live by faith." These are the obedient. As faith in God increases, the more distinctly we endure the seeing of him who is invisible, and we are strengthened to obey him. {ST, February 11, 1897 par. 9}

William

Last edited by William; 04/08/09 09:58 PM.

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #111438
04/08/09 11:24 PM
04/08/09 11:24 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
[quote=Elle Of course, because it comes from an un-accredited individual that has a hard time to express herself, many on the forum didn't believes me anyway. [/quote]

i knew a very wise woman decades ago who said we judge others by what we ourselves are. another way of saying that is that a thief is always afraid his house will be broken into.

makes some do some serious soul-searching.....but perhaps only some...

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111440
04/08/09 11:42 PM
04/08/09 11:42 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: William
Amazing the opportunity for those following Jesus by faith alone as Enoch did. But what a price to pay: the complete and permanent death of self. Positively amazing.

Can I actually live up to the inspired standard? Wow, what a work to be accomplished, indeed:

Quote:
As faith in God increases, the more distinctly we endure the seeing of him who is invisible, and we are strengthened to obey him. {ST, February 11, 1897 par. 9}

William

i have read similar statements as the bolded recently and find them quite impressive. we can only see so much of God, His holiness, His goodness, before we turn away. something to think about.

yes, its that death to self that is the "killer" isnt it? we can want to die to self, but be completely oblivious to the many moments and seconds that we chose not to die to self.....

regarding your previous post and lgt. isnt it possible there have always been those who were absolutely "sinless"? enoch, elijah, and moses were translated but does that mean they were the only ones that have ever been "sinless"? perhaps they are just the only ones (enoch and elijah) who have been translated....

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #111442
04/09/09 12:44 AM
04/09/09 12:44 AM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
isnt it possible there have always been those who were absolutely "sinless"? enoch, elijah, and moses were translated but does that mean they were the only ones that have ever been "sinless"?

Quite right, Teresa. And I doubt anyone of these individuals saw themselves as such, but only because they were indubitably focused upon the countenance of God through the merits of Jesus.

By beholding we become changed, as the saying goes. Truly a mindboggling metamorphosis is the restoration of character in biblical salvation!

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111457
04/09/09 02:39 PM
04/09/09 02:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I knew a very wise woman decades ago who said we judge others by what we ourselves are. Another way of saying that is that a thief is always afraid his house will be broken into.

"Judge not lest you be judged," sort of fits into that same idea.

On another thread we're talking about how we view God according to our own characters, which is the same idea you're mentioning. Ps. 18 brings this out. I like the KJV translation of this because it uses the same words for both sides (the attribute one has, and how God is perceived):

Quote:
25With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful; with an upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright;

26With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself froward. (Ps. 18)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rosangela] #111460
04/09/09 04:43 PM
04/09/09 04:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
M: I enjoyed reading what you all had to say about victory in Jesus. Most of the people I meet are operating under assumption that it is *not* possible in this lifetime to reach the point where their thoughts, words, and deeds are in perfect harmony with God's will. They believe Jesus makes up for their unavoidable sins and that it is in this sense that God considers them sinless and safe to save.

Has anyone here ever met anyone who believes this way? If so, how did you deal with it?

R: Mike, ??? Are your thoughts, words and deeds in perfect harmony with God's will?

I love it when this question comes up. It is usually asked to point out how ludicrous it is to believe such an experience is possible right now. I assume this is the idea behind your question. Here's how I like to answer this question.

The following passage describes my experience while I am abiding in Jesus:

1 John
3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not . . .
3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

And, the following passage describes my experience when I'm not abiding in Jesus:

Romans
3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
3:13 Their throat [is] an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps [is] under their lips:
3:14 Whose mouth [is] full of cursing and bitterness:
3:15 Their feet [are] swift to shed blood:
3:16 Destruction and misery [are] in their ways:
3:17 And the way of peace have they not known:
3:18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #111464
04/09/09 05:05 PM
04/09/09 05:05 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
M: I enjoyed reading what you all had to say about victory in Jesus. Most of the people I meet are operating under assumption that it is *not* possible in this lifetime to reach the point where their thoughts, words, and deeds are in perfect harmony with God's will. They believe Jesus makes up for their unavoidable sins and that it is in this sense that God considers them sinless and safe to save.

Has anyone here ever met anyone who believes this way? If so, how did you deal with it?

R: Mike, ??? Are your thoughts, words and deeds in perfect harmony with God's will?

I love it when this question comes up. It is usually asked to point out how ludicrous it is to believe such an experience is possible right now. I assume this is the idea behind your question. Here's how I like to answer this question.

i dont know if there are any on this board who believe it is ludicrous that we could become "sinless" here and now.

the objection, as i read it, is thinking that we are "sinless", quite dangerous, treacherous ground in my opinion.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #111479
04/09/09 09:27 PM
04/09/09 09:27 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:

M: I love it when this question comes up. It is usually asked to point out how ludicrous it is to believe such an experience is possible right now. I assume this is the idea behind your question. Here's how I like to answer this question.

You are wrong in your assumption. I don't think it's ludicrous to believe that such an experience is possible right now. What I disagree with is the way you put the two assertions in opposition to each other, as if one was right and the other was wrong. I believe it's possible in this lifetime to reach the point where the Christian's thoughts, words, and deeds are in perfect harmony with God's will. However, until the Christian is mature enough to reach this point, Jesus makes up for his unavoidable sins and it is in this sense that God considers him sinless and safe to save. I must assume you disagree with this.

"Jesus loves His children, even if they err. ... He keeps His eye upon them, and when they do their best, calling upon God for His help, be assured the service will be accepted, although imperfect. Jesus is perfect. Christ's righteousness is imputed unto them, and He will say, Take away the filthy garments from him, and clothe him with change of raiment. Jesus makes up for our unavoidable deficiencies. Where Christians are faithful to each other, true and loyal to the Captain of the Lord's host, never betraying trusts into the enemy's hands, they will be transformed into Christ's character. Jesus will abide in their hearts by faith." --Letter 17a, 1891, p. 8. (To Brother and Sister Ings, and Elder Fulton, Nov. 18, 1891.)

Besides, as Teresa pointed out, how can the Christian think that he is "sinless" and, therefore, that he doesn't need Jesus to make up for his sins?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #111482
04/09/09 11:13 PM
04/09/09 11:13 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
So Salvation is a dynamic process. It is both an
1. Establish fact throught the death of Jesus Christ. We can claim all the following benefits: forgiveness, justification, reconciliation, redemption, and even to strip our enemy(devil) of all his power.
2. On going process : A daily renewing of the mind through the indwelling of the Spirit. You need to be rebaptized every day, have the indwelling of the Spirit. Now you are in a position to make some outrages claims of the gift of the Spirit on God. Like "Renew in me a new mind", or "create in me a new heart", or etc... That's some promises of the indwelling of the spirit. There's many to claim, they are all ours, all we need to do is tap into it.

Very eloquent, Elle. Lots of cool concepts, some of which have taken more than one reading to fully process. But well done!

I was wondering how you would separate #1 and #2 (if at all), in terms of the conditions of salvation, assuming we're speaking of both justification and sanctification in the above abstract.

Here is how someone has divided (pre-QOD) conservative Protestantism and conservative Adventism, a list which I might only alter certain emphases but not its core:

Evangelicals have traditionally taught:

A. Sin is a state of being; it is our nature that we are born with and cultivate.

B. Gospel is the “good news” that God “counts” sinners as holy.

C. Gospel is limited to a legal pardon.

D. Gospel promises a covering for sin.

E. Justification is forensic (a legal pardon).

F. Sanctification is a result of already being saved.

Adventists have traditionally taught:

A. Sin is a choice (a thought/action). It is the transgression of the law. It is also an attitude (state of being) that is brought on by choices (cultivated).

B. Gospel is the “good news” that God counts, cleanses, and recreates sinners anew, restoring them back to the image of God.

C. Gospel includes justification, sanctification, and restoration.

D. Gospel promises a removal of sin.

E. Justification is both a legal pardon and a making righteous of the person (but not apart from Christ).

F. Sanctification is a part of being saved.

The above is assuming the conditions of salvation for Evangelicals is belief, faith alone. And the conditions of salvation for Adventists is belief, faith alone (but a faith that works).

There are other pertinent points which could have been added, but this list is already long enough.

Is this a fair treatment of both belief systems? If not, what changes would you make to improve or clarify the list?

William

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #111484
04/10/09 12:38 AM
04/10/09 12:38 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
i dont know if there are any on this board who believe it is ludicrous that we could become "sinless" here and now.

the objection, as i read it, is thinking that we are "sinless", quite dangerous, treacherous ground in my opinion.

The post immediately after yours represents the thought you doubt anyone on this forum believes. It says it is not available "here and now". It happens at some future time.

Also, you seem to think claiming the promises of God "here and now" is dangerous and treacherous ground. What do you do when you read 1 John 3:6-9? Do you think it applies to others but not to you?

Page 80 of 100 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!