HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,645
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, Karen Y, 1 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 49 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112256
04/25/09 05:01 PM
04/25/09 05:01 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: William
[quote]Rosa and TQ, let's try something a bit fanciful, at least more stimulating to the senses, while at the same time addressing your points of interest. Surely, in the end, you will have more doubts, but your "original sin" line of questioning is historically resolvable. Here's why:

william, i do not know what roseangela believes but i can assure you that you have preconceived assumptions of what i believe.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #112260
04/25/09 09:57 PM
04/25/09 09:57 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Hi all, I'm in the moving mode again, and I don't know how many days it will be before they install a telephone line in my new house and I have internet access again. Until then, I hope you have a good discussion.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112265
04/26/09 01:21 AM
04/26/09 01:21 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Does this describe what you have in mind when you speak of "the nature of Adam after the Fall"? Is this dual nature - divine and human - what Adam had after his fall?

After Adam's fall, after he was converted, of course, like any other believer he had his own sinful nature and was a partaker of the divine nature by faith.

Tom,

You do not see the logic of this as I see it. If you saw this issue through my eyes, you would understand why I see the logic as flawed. I am sure that to you this logic is perfectly good. To me, however, you are reasoning in a circle.

To be "a partaker of the divine nature by faith" means what? What does "faith" mean? "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." In other words, you are essentially saying that our divine nature is a vicarious one. It is not, nor can it be, ours except through the vicarious life of Christ as accepted in faith.

I could say more about this "vicarious nature," but for now I will leave it at that.

Also, you have said the following: "Regarding #112205, Christ, like Adam, was without sin. This is how they were similar. Unlike Adam, Christ's assumed human nature was not sinless."

In other words, let us simplify this equation as we would do in an algebra class, to see what the variable equals.

1. Christ's assumed human nature was not sinless
2. Christ's assumed human nature was sinful
3. Christ's human nature was sinful
4. Christ's nature was sinful
5. Christ was sinful
6. Christ sinned
7. FAILURE ......!

Now that doesn't add up.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Green Cochoa] #112271
04/26/09 02:58 AM
04/26/09 02:58 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
It is not, nor can it be, ours except through the vicarious life of Christ as accepted in faith.

Are you familiar with Jones and Waggoner? If so, I'm speaking in the sense that they preached. Here's an example from Waggoner:

Quote:
"The Faith of Christ."

Much is lost, in reading the Scriptures, by not noting exactly what they say. Here we have literally, "the faith of Christ," just as in Rev.14:12 we have "the faith of Jesus." He is the Author and Finisher of faith. Heb.12:2. God has "dealt to every man the measure of faith" (Rom.12:3), in giving Christ to every man. "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God" (Rom.10:17), and Christ is the Word. All things are of God. It is He who gives repentance and forgiveness of sins.

There is, therefore, no opportunity for any one to plead that his faith is weak. He may not have accepted and made use of the gift, but there is no such thing as "weak faith." A man may be "weak in faith," that is, may be afraid to depend on faith, but faith itself is as strong as the Word of God. There is no faith but the faith of Christ; everything else professing to be faith is a spurious article. Christ alone is righteous; He has overcome the world, and He alone has power to do it; in Him dwelleth all the fullness of God, because the law--God Himself--was in His heart; He alone has kept and can keep the law to perfection; therefore, only by His faith,--living faith, that is, His life in us,--can we be made righteous.

But this is sufficient. He is a "tried Stone." The faith which He gives to us is His own tried and approved faith, and it will not fail us in any contest. We are not exhorted to try to do as well as He did, or to try to exercise as much faith as He had, but simply to take His faith, and let it work by love, and purify the heart. It will do it; take it! (The Glad Tidings)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112273
04/26/09 03:05 AM
04/26/09 03:05 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
5. Christ was sinful
6. Christ sinned
7. FAILURE ......!

Now that doesn't add up.

Your errors are from steps 2 to 3, and steps 3 to 4.

First of all, I was very careful in how I worded things. You're not being as careful. The SOP tells us Christ took upon His sinless nature "our sinful nature." So "His" nature was "sinless." He took "our sinful nature" upon that sinless nature.

Saying His "human nature" is an error of clarity. But the really egregious error is from step 3 to step 4. Christ's nature was "sinless." Christ took "our sinful nature" upon what? Upon "His sinless nature." So what is His nature? Sinless.

You're attempted "proof" reminds me of the following:

a = b
a^2 = a*b
a^2-b^2 = a*b-b^2
(a+b)(a-b) = b(a-b)
(a+b) = b
a+a = a
2a = a
2 = 1

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112276
04/26/09 04:21 AM
04/26/09 04:21 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
5. Christ was sinful
6. Christ sinned
7. FAILURE ......!

Now that doesn't add up.

Your errors are from steps 2 to 3, and steps 3 to 4.

First of all, I was very careful in how I worded things. You're not being as careful. The SOP tells us Christ took upon His sinless nature "our sinful nature." So "His" nature was "sinless." He took "our sinful nature" upon that sinless nature.

Saying His "human nature" is an error of clarity. But the really egregious error is from step 3 to step 4. Christ's nature was "sinless." Christ took "our sinful nature" upon what? Upon "His sinless nature." So what is His nature? Sinless.

Tom,

There are no errors in that which I can see. Since you say there are errors, let me ask you two questions:

1) When you say "Christ's assumed human nature," do you mean that this nature was NOT Christ's?
2) When you say "Christ's human nature" differs from "Christ's nature," are you saying that Christ was NOT human?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Green Cochoa] #112277
04/26/09 04:49 AM
04/26/09 04:49 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom,

There are no errors in that which I can see. Since you say there are errors, let me ask you two questions:

I'll go over the errors again, with a bit more detail. The first error was to go from Christ's assumed human nature to Christ's human nature without qualifying the meaning. I was very careful with my expression, to make clear what I was referring to, which is "our sinful nature" which Christ took upon "His sinless nature."

The word "nature" can be ambiguous, as, depending on the context, it can mean different things. Hence my carefulness.

Now when you go from "Christ's assumed human nature" to "Christ's human nature" you're in danger of being misunderstood. You need to be very clear what specifically you're talking about. Are you talking about the "our sinful nature" which Christ took upon "His sinless nature"? Or are you talking about something else?

Going from Christ's human nature to Christ's nature is not simply an error of clarity, but is a mistake. "Christ's nature" must be understood as "His sinless nature."

Quote:
He took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature, that He might know how to succor those that are tempted. (MM 181)

This should be clear. "His sinless nature" is Christ's nature. "Our sinful nature" is Christ's assumed human nature.

Quote:
1) When you say "Christ's assumed human nature," do you mean that this nature was NOT Christ's?

It's "our sinful nature" from the MM 181 quote.

Quote:

2) When you say "Christ's human nature" differs from "Christ's nature," are you saying that Christ was NOT human?

I didn't say it differed. I said the expression is not as clear as the one I used. It's liable to be misunderstood. It can mean different things depending on the context. The expression I used, "Christ's assumed human nature," is clear (It's the "our sinful nature" from the MM 181 quote).

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112278
04/26/09 05:59 AM
04/26/09 05:59 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Again, Tom, you are not making logical sense.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too. Either "Christ's human nature" was sinful or it was not. If, as you seem to be saying, it was sinful, but that it was "our nature" and NOT Christ's nature, then you are not talking about Christ, but about us. I think you are making a mistake. Christ never took "SIN" upon Himself until the cross, when the weight of our sins rested upon Him, the innocent Lamb.

Christ's nature was never sinful. Period. End of story.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Green Cochoa] #112279
04/26/09 06:25 AM
04/26/09 06:25 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
GC, Ellen White wrote:

Quote:
He took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature, that He might know how to succor those that are tempted. (MM 181)

Christ took "our sinful nature" upon "His sinless nature."

Christ had a nature of His own, which was sinless (as well as divine). Christ took upon that nature, "our sinful nature," which is neither human nor sinless.

As I've pointed out, the word "nature" can be ambiguous. So I used the expression "Christ's assumed human nature" to make clear what I'm referring to, which is the "our sinful nature" of the MM 181 quote.

Regarding this assertion

Quote:
Christ never took "SIN" upon Himself until the cross, when the weight of our sins rested upon Him, the innocent Lamb.

I asked before if you're familiar with Jones and Waggoner's teachings. I don't know that you responded.

Here's something from Waggoner which discusses this:

Quote:
"Born under the Law."

Being born of a woman, Christ was necessarily born under the law, for such is the condition of all mankind, and "in all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people." Heb.2:17. He takes everything on Himself. "He hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows." "Himself took our infirmities, and bare our disease." Matt.8:17, R.V. "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all."(The Glad Tidings)

Here's the thought explained in more detail:

Quote:
3. Now as to the rendering of the expression “under the law,” in Galatians 4:4. I have no fault to find with the rendering, “born under the law,” but think that it is the correct rendering. I will go farther than you do, and will offer some Scripture evidence on this point. John 1:1, 14: “in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.” The word rendered “made” is the same as that in Galatians 4:4, and evidently signifies “born.” The Word was God, yet was born flesh of the Virgin Mary. I don’t know how it could be so; I simply accept the Bible statement. Now read Romans 8:3, and you will learn the nature of the flesh which the Word was made:— “For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh.” Christ was born in the likeness of sinful flesh.

Philippians 2:5-7: “Have this mind in you, which was also in Christ Jesus; who, being in the form of God, counted it not a prize to be on an equality with God, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men.” Revised version. Now note the next verse: “And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself, becoming obedient even unto death, yea, the death of the cross.” And now compare the above with,
Hebrews 2:9: “But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honor; that He by the grace of God should taste death for every man.”

These texts show that Christ took upon Himself man’s nature, and that as a consequence He was subject to death. He came into the world on purpose to die; and so from the beginning of His earthly life He was in the same condition that the men are in whom He died to save.

Now read, Romans 1:3: The gospel of God, “concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David accord ing to the flesh.”

What was the nature of David, “according to the flesh”? Sinful, was it not? David says: “Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.” Psalm 51:5.

Don’t start in horrified astonishment; I am not implying that Christ was a sinner. I shall explain more fully in a few moments. But first I wish to quote, Hebrews 2:16, 17: “For verily He took not on Him the nature of angels; but He took on Him the seed of Abraham. Wherefore in all things it behooved Him to be made like unto His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.”

His being made in all things like unto His brethren, is the same as His being made in the likeness of sinful flesh, “made in the likeness of men.” One of the most encouraging things in the Bible is the knowledge that Christ took on Him the nature of man; to know that His ancestors according to the flesh were sinners.

When we read the record of the lives of the ancestors of Christ, and see that they had all the weaknesses and passions that we have, we find that no man has any right to excuse his sinful acts on the ground of heredity. If Christ had not been made in all things like unto His brethren, then His sinless life would be no encouragement to us. We might look at it with admiration, but it would be the admiration that would cause hopeless despair.

And now as another parallel to Galatians 4:4, and a further source of encouragement to us, I will quote,
2 Corinthians 5:21: “For He hath made Him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.”

Now when was Jesus made sin for us? It must have been when He was made flesh, and began to suffer the temptations and infirmities that are incident to sinful flesh. He passed through every phase of human experience, being “in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.”

He was a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief.” “He hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows” (Isaiah 53:4); and this scripture is said by Matthew to have been fulfilled long before the crucifixion. So I say that His being born under the law was a necessary consequence of His being born in the likeness of sinful flesh, of taking upon Himself the nature of Abraham. He was made like man, in order that He might undergo the suffering of death. From the earliest childhood the cross was ever before Him. (The Gospel in Galatians)

From the SOP:

Quote:
The great work of redemption could be carried out only by the Redeemer taking the place of fallen man. Burdened with the sins of the world, he must go over the ground where Adam stumbled. He must take up the work just where Adam failed, and endure a test of the same character, but infinitely more severe than that which had vanquished him. It is impossible for man to fully comprehend the strength of Satan's temptations to our Saviour. Every enticement to evil, which men find so difficult to resist, was brought to bear upon the Son of God in as much greater degree as his character was superior to that of fallen man. (2SP 88)

This is speaking of Christ's temptation in the wilderness. Notice she says that Christ was "burdened with the sins of the world." So it's not the case that Christ never took sin upon Him until the cross.

You can see from Matthew as well (who Waggoner quoted; Matthew 8:17) that he applied Isa. 53, the innocent lamb reference, before the cross.

Quote:
Christ's nature was never sinful. Period. End of story.

Yes, Christ's nature was never sinful. It was sinless. But it's not the end of the story! It looks like you're missing the second part:

Quote:
He took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature.

That is, the "our sinful nature" part.

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112281
04/26/09 06:46 AM
04/26/09 06:46 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

Have you heard the parable of the Cave and the Sun? (Not sure what it's called...one of Aesop's I think.) Anyhow, this reminds me of that.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Reply Quote
Page 13 of 49 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:18 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:15 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:09 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!