HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 49 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #112344
04/28/09 02:53 AM
04/28/09 02:53 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
There were in him no corrupt principles, no tendencies to evil. But when Christ came to meet the temptations of Satan, He bore "the likeness of sinful flesh."(BE 9/3/00)

It's 2 for 2 (i.e. there were two things which unfallen didn't have, but Christ's flesh had).

Quote:
A:I don't know. Is it?

Does this quote tell us that Christ's problem was more than just the flesh, but the mind? Did Jesus have the mind of fallen man?

PTI, as I know you're responding to William, but what's the motivation for this question? Of course this isn't dealing with the mind of Christ. Christ had the "mind of Christ," not the mind of fallen man. As A. T. Jones explained, "Don't drag His mind into it. He was made in the likeness of sinful flesh, not in the likeness of sinful mind."

The quote tells us that Christ took such a heredity as we have to share in our sorrows and temptations. Surely our sorrows and temptations have to do with more than simply getting hungry or tired.

I'm also interested in your response to my observations regarding the unlikelihood of Ellen White alone being a postlapsarian as well as knowing being able to understand her until 40 years after she died (see post #112340)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112346
04/28/09 04:48 AM
04/28/09 04:48 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Theresa, since we've been talking about history, here's something I don't understand regarding the prelapsarian position. Supposedly the entire church was postlapsarian, except Ellen White. However, she endorsed postlapsarians, endorsed postlapsarian theology, and never corrected postlapsarians publicly. What I really, really don't understand is the idea that she supposed corrected Baker privately on the same subject she was publicly endorsing postlapsarians on.

Another thing regarding this that doesn't make sense to me is supposedly no one understood her correctly until 40 years after she died, although she was living when discussions on this actual topic were going on! (e.g. the Holy Flesh controversy) If she really agreed with the Holy Flesh people, like Donnel and Davis, that Christ's humanity is as Donnel and Davis said it was (which is the same position prelapsarians today have), I just cannot fathom that nobody during the time would be aware of this. This just boggles the mind.

im not privy to the "histories" you have read, so i cant respond.

as for the "holy flesh" youve referred to all i know is what egw has said, and again have not been privy to any "histories" of that event.

Quote:
Men and women, supposed to be guided by the Holy Spirit, held meetings in a state of nudity. They talked about holy flesh. They said they were beyond the power of temptation, and they sang, and shouted, and made all manner of noisy demonstrations. These men and women were not bad, but they were deceived and deluded. . . . {5MR 108.3}

in her references to that movement i havent seen where prefall/postfall nature comes into it, or ever had anything to do with what was going on. what i understand her to be saying is these people believed they could somehow arrive at "holy flesh" which can only happen at the second coming. that movement seems quite similar to the "holy spirit" thing going on nowadays.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #112349
04/28/09 01:02 PM
04/28/09 01:02 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I'm not privy to the "histories" you have read, so I can't respond.

This is public knowledge. Those disagreeing with the postlapsarian position agree with the facts I've presented; these aren't in dispute. The dispute has been over the viability of Ellen White's being the lone prelapsarian of the church.

Quote:
As for the "holy flesh," you've referred to all I know is what egw has said, and again have not been privy to any "histories" of that event.

The knowledge is in the public domain. I've been asserting the whole time that the viewpoint you've been presenting is not a viable alternative and giving reasons why. As Ellen White points out, the truth has nothing to fear from investigation.

It's a matter of public record what Donnel believed. I've quoted this several times. It's also a matter of public record how Haskell responded, which I've quoted several times. I've given the sources. It's public record that our church responded by publishing postlapsarian articles for several months, and presented postlapsarian sermons at the General Conference session.

So you could respond if you wanted to. You have enough information.

You could also respond hypothetically on the basis of what was presented being true. That is, assuming these things were true, without admitting them to be, what would be your response to these questions? Is it really feasible that Ellen White, in your opinion, would have acted the way that she did?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #112350
04/28/09 01:16 PM
04/28/09 01:16 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
Let's not worry about what I will attempt to argue. You probably have no idea what that will be, since I have no idea what that will be. But let's look at what you, and Paulson, just said.

Ah, there he is! But before compiling the surrounding context for what was a rephrasing of Paulson, and then forming my response, I'm far more curious and interested to see an original-sin hypothesis than I am to deconstruct the good pastor. Make sense? So, um, take your best shot. . . But, hey, where's your basketball?! wink

William

Last edited by William; 04/28/09 02:52 PM.

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112353
04/28/09 03:22 PM
04/28/09 03:22 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
If she really agreed with the Holy Flesh people, like Donnel and Davis, that Christ's humanity is as Donnel and Davis said it was (which is the same position prelapsarians today have), I just cannot fathom that nobody during the time would be aware of this. This just boggles the mind.

And let's not forget that Donnell and Davis actually confessed to their error in front of about 300 delegates at the conference committee of the Indiana churches. Donnell, of course, was later reinstated after both were summarily defrocked.

But Davis continued to believe in Christ's prefall nature—confirmed later by Hankins' eight questions—and adhered to a theological argument that had insisted that "Christ took Adam's nature before the fall," just as Haskell had warned Ellen White.

When will we learn? Sigh.

William

:: Harmony not hate leads your opponent's mind to wisdom; beating him there always with tender heart. —Anonymous
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #112354
04/28/09 03:39 PM
04/28/09 03:39 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
So he believed that Jesus laid behind his divine powers? Do yo believe this also? And who else writes about this? I understand that our pioneers were postfall, however, did they believe that Jesus laid his power behind too? Phil 2:6-8

If I'm understanding you correctly, Elle, my answer would be, "Yes," Jesus laid aside His divine powers in order to embody an exemplary life for us to pattern. I would have to check to see what our forefathers believed, however.

William

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112355
04/28/09 03:44 PM
04/28/09 03:44 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
"In itself the act of consenting to be a man would be no act of humiliation were it not for the fact of Christ's exalted preexistence, and the fallen condition of man. But when we open our understanding to realize that in taking humanity upon Him, Christ laid aside His royal robe, His kingly crown, His high command, and clothed His divinity with humanity, that He might meet man where he was, and bring to the human family moral power to become the sons and daughters of God." {17MR 25.1}

"The heavenly universe were amazed at such patience, such inexpressible love. To save fallen humanity, the Son of God took humanity upon Him, laying aside His kingly crown and royal robe. He became poor, that we through His poverty might be made rich. One with God, He alone was capable of accomplishing this work, and He consented to an actual union with man. In His sinlessness, He could bear every transgression." {17MR 26.2}

William

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112357
04/28/09 04:50 PM
04/28/09 04:50 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
E: So he believed that Jesus laid behind his divine powers? Do yo believe this also? And who else writes about this? I understand that our pioneers were postfall, however, did they believe that Jesus laid his power behind too? Phil 2:6-8

W: If I'm understanding you correctly, Elle, my answer would be, "Yes," Jesus laid aside His divine powers in order to embody an exemplary life for us to pattern. I would have to check to see what our forefathers believed, however.

To make sure we understand each other, do you mean by "divine powers" that Christ was stripped of his omni-potence, omniscience, omni-presence and immortality before the reincarnation? He came on earth devoided of these powers? If so, yes it would be great to know if the pioneers believed this also.

To me this quiescence explanation does not cut it out. You can't die if you possess immortality. It just doesn't work that way. It would defile a law of nature.

Blessings
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Elle] #112358
04/28/09 05:07 PM
04/28/09 05:07 PM
W
William  Offline
London, England
Quote:
To make sure we understand each other, do you mean by "divine powers" that Christ was stripped of his omni-potence, omniscience, omni-presence and immortality before the reincarnation?

I didn't consider this angle when I posted the two quotes by EGW, and haven't given it much thought. It appears there were two options for Him: divesting Himself of these three elements before the incarnation or completely subjugating them after the incarnation.

Either way, what I am certain is this: He didn't utilize of any of these "powers" to overcome sin in fallen flesh or else Satan would have cried, "Foul!"

William

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112359
04/28/09 05:51 PM
04/28/09 05:51 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
E: To make sure we understand each other, do you mean by "divine powers" that Christ was stripped of his omni-potence, omniscience, omni-presence and immortality before the reincarnation?
W: I didn't consider this angle when I posted the two quotes by EGW, and haven't given it much thought. It appears there were two options for Him: divesting Himself of these three elements before the incarnation or completely subjugating them after the incarnation.

Either way, what I am certain is this: He didn't utilize of any of these "powers" to overcome sin in fallen flesh or else Satan would have cried, "Foul!"

I would appreciate if you give it some thoughts and prayers, Will. I have no problem seeing that it's possible for the other three powers to be "subjugating" however, the immortality just doesn't work. He had to be mortal like a man to die. And I don't buy that he had both, immortality and mortality, at the same time.

Tommy didn't answer my question in regards to the meaning of
"begotten" and being in the "bosom" of the father. I think this truth shed light into this. Since Jesus was begotten from the Father, these where given to him at the beginning of creation, and was able to be taken from him at the reincarnation, and given back to him at the resurrection. However, I'm just starting to search scriptures on these.

Blessings
Reply Quote
Page 17 of 49 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!