HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,289 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 49 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 48 49
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #112392
04/29/09 10:47 AM
04/29/09 10:47 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
teresa, the first site I referenced is General Conference archives. They have documents by all sorts of people in the church, including virtually everyone that has been mentioned in this thread. I don't know why you would mention Bert Haloviak. Oh, I see, that's the article that came up. That was just by chance. I was just giving you a reference to the site. You asked where you could find things in public domain, and that's one place.

Regarding Jones and Waggoner, you asked for help. I have no idea what you already know how to find or not. You seem not to be familiar with what they wrote, so I cited a place for you to find their writings. Many of the issues you bring up they dealt with. They were strongly endorsed by the prophet the Lord sent us, and we are told many times the message they brought was from God, so we can trust they weren't biased.

You can find the sermon "The Word Became Flesh" by W. W. Prescott by googling, which was specifically endorsed by Ellen White.

Quote:
T:So you could respond if you wanted to. You have enough information.

t:just did.

Where? I didn't see the response. For convenience, I'll repeat my question. Supposedly, Ellen White was the only non-postlapsarian in the church (discounting the Holy Flesh people). Even though there was a controversy (the Holy Flesh controversy) which dealt with the point of Christ's fallen nature, supposedly no one knew that Ellen White secretly agreed with those on the Holy Flesh side and disagreed with the SDA's who were fighting against them. Suppsedly Ellen White correctly Baker on the very issue she was endorsing W. W. Prescott on. None of this make senses to me. Does it make sense to you?

Quote:
T:So you could respond if you wanted to. You have enough information.

t:shouldnt make assumptions of another. its not nice. it is in essence calling me a liar and accusing me of playing games.

??? You'll have to explain yourself here. I've got no idea of where you're coming from. What unkind assumption am I making? I asked you a question, which you responded by saying you weren't privy to the information needed to respond. I pointed out the information is online, so if you wanted to respond, you could, because the information is available to you. I don't understand what you think is unkind about this response, or what unkind assumption you think I'm making.

Quote:
Someone else did something similar to me because I wouldn't believe some trinity definition he made up and insisted it should be believed. Not nice. The ninth commandment comes to mind. frown

teresa, I can only guess that you took something I said the wrong way. I can't think of anything I said which would be deserving of such a response. I'm sorry I said something which apparently rubbed you the wrong way.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #112393
04/29/09 10:53 AM
04/29/09 10:53 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
anyway, somehow weve gotten offtrack, yet again. several times it has gotten offtrack from my original question. my original question was on page 107 #112156 and has gone in strange directions for such a simple question.

This thread has, a long time ago, because a general purpose thread dealing with Christ's human nature. I'm not understanding why you think the thread has gone off track, as we're still dealing with this topic. Yes, you asked a question on page #107, but many other people have made points and asked questions since then. I don't understand why you would think your single question has been what's been driving the thread since then. A lot of questions have come up.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #112409
04/29/09 05:07 PM
04/29/09 05:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Bump.

Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: Tom
I'm very interested in what you mean by the underlined portion.

I'll have to come back to this to add details. But the short answer is that I don't subscribe to MM's "morally perfect when you are born again" theory. After being born again, there is still conversion to do.

Arnold, I also believe that in most cases people experience rebirth before they complete the process of converting to obeying everything Jesus commanded. However, the Bible doesn't describe such cases. Yes, Rom 2:13-15 describes cases involving people who are considered savable because they live in harmony with their conscience and convictions, but in such cases they did not experience rebirth or conversion in the normal sense of the word.

Again, most people experience rebirth before they complete converting to obeying everything Jesus commanded. In such cases, they are lacking in areas that require BIble study and prayer. For example, they may have crucified their old man habits of sin and experienced rebirth before learning about Sabbath-keeping or health reform. In such cases, they are reining in their moral imperfections and keeping them under the control of a sanctified will and mind.

However, they are ignorantly breaking the law of God as it pertains to the Sabbath and health. Nevertheless, they are morally perfect in that they are not violating the law of God as they know it. So, the question is, what do you think such believers can do ignorantly that violates the will and law of God?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #112419
04/29/09 07:42 PM
04/29/09 07:42 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
However, they are ignorantly breaking the law of God as it pertains to the Sabbath and health. Nevertheless, they are morally perfect in that they are not violating the law of God as they know it. So, the question is, what do you think such believers can do ignorantly that violates the will and law of God?

Been wondering where that post was. Thanks for finding it.

You ask how such believers can ignorantly violate God's law. You already mentioned health laws, so let's go there.

Let's say someone has given themselves 100% to God, not withholding anything. That means that they are not knowingly disobeying God's will in anything. If they were knowingly disobedient in anything, that means they have not surrendered to God, and they are not born again.

But let's consider one who was drawn to Jesus by His character, rather that His dietary principles. This person fell in love with Jesus because of His love, not His food. So he's studying to find out more of God's will, but he hasn't quite made it through all of Leviticus yet; he got stuck in chapters 4-6 about all the sacrifices for sins done ignorantly, while only one sacrifice takes care of deliberate sin. Wrestling with such deep thoughts makes him hungry and he gets a burger at McDonald's, violating God's will as revealed later on in Leviticus.

Here he is imperfect because he falls short of the holy standard. Yet, because he is abiding in Jesus, His character stands in the place of his, and he is counted righteous because Jesus was absolutely morally perfect.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #112430
04/30/09 02:30 AM
04/30/09 02:30 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Arnold, I also believe that in most cases people experience rebirth before they complete the process of converting to obeying everything Jesus commanded. However, the Bible doesn't describe such cases. Yes, Rom 2:13-15 describes cases involving people who are considered savable because they live in harmony with their conscience and convictions, but in such cases they did not experience rebirth or conversion in the normal sense of the word.

Again, most people experience rebirth before they complete converting to obeying everything Jesus commanded. In such cases, they are lacking in areas that require BIble study and prayer. For example, they may have crucified their old man habits of sin and experienced rebirth before learning about Sabbath-keeping or health reform. In such cases, they are reining in their moral imperfections and keeping them under the control of a sanctified will and mind.

Been wondering where that post was. Thanks for finding it.

You ask how such believers can ignorantly violate God's law. You already mentioned health laws, so let's go there.

Let's say someone has given themselves 100% to God, not withholding anything. That means that they are not knowingly disobeying God's will in anything. If they were knowingly disobedient in anything, that means they have not surrendered to God, and they are not born again.

But let's consider one who was drawn to Jesus by His character, rather that His dietary principles. This person fell in love with Jesus because of His love, not His food. So he's studying to find out more of God's will, but he hasn't quite made it through all of Leviticus yet; he got stuck in chapters 4-6 about all the sacrifices for sins done ignorantly, while only one sacrifice takes care of deliberate sin. Wrestling with such deep thoughts makes him hungry and he gets a burger at McDonald's, violating God's will as revealed later on in Leviticus.

Here he is imperfect because he falls short of the holy standard. Yet, because he is abiding in Jesus, His character stands in the place of his, and he is counted righteous because Jesus was absolutely morally perfect.

Are you suggesting such sins of ignorance count as moral imperfections? What does morality have to do with eating a burger at McDonald's? Doesn't morals have to do with volition?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #112431
04/30/09 02:33 AM
04/30/09 02:33 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"But Christ reaches us where we are. He took our nature and overcame, that we through taking His nature might overcome. Made “in the likeness of sinful flesh” (Rom. 8:3), He lived a sinless life.

Since partaking of the divine nature does not make us God, why, then, do some people seem to think partaking of fallen human nature would make Jesus a sinner?

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #112434
04/30/09 03:21 AM
04/30/09 03:21 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA

Are you suggesting such sins of ignorance count as moral imperfections? What does morality have to do with eating a burger at McDonald's? Doesn't morals have to do with volition?

He who made the physical laws also made the moral laws. Transgression of physical law has moral impact. But that's a topic for another thread.

If you want something more clearly moral, consider adultery. There are people who have multiple wives, not knowing any better.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Mountain Man] #112435
04/30/09 03:24 AM
04/30/09 03:24 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
"But Christ reaches us where we are. He took our nature and overcame, that we through taking His nature might overcome. Made “in the likeness of sinful flesh” (Rom. 8:3), He lived a sinless life.

Since partaking of the divine nature does not make us God, why, then, do some people seem to think partaking of fallen human nature would make Jesus a sinner?

Let's look at Adam. Sinning once made him a sinner. But no matter how much he partook of the divine nature, it never made him divine. Anyone can become a sinner, but either you have divinity or you don't. They are fundamentally different phenomena.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112436
04/30/09 03:48 AM
04/30/09 03:48 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: William
adhered to a theological argument that had insisted that "Christ took Adam's nature before the fall," just as Haskell had warned Ellen White.

When will we learn? Sigh.

Aren't we called upon to reach the sinlessness of Adam before his fall? Why is it so odious to think the Jesus Himself had some unfallen characteristics?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: William] #112437
04/30/09 03:53 AM
04/30/09 03:53 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: William
I'm far more curious and interested to see an original-sin hypothesis

A famous postlap wrote:
Quote:
Sin is in every fiber of our being by nature. We are born in sin, and our life is sin, so that sin can not be taken from us without taking our life. What I need is freedom from my own personal sin,--that sin which not only has been committed by me personally, but which dwells in the heart,--the sin which constitutes the whole of my life. (The Glad Tidings)

Is this sin developed by personal choice or inherent at birth?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Page 19 of 49 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 48 49
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!